MD1 Metal Distortion Review

manufacturer: DeltaLab date: 12/13/2012 category: Guitar Effects
DeltaLab: MD1 Metal Distortion
As long as you adjust the level (the volume control), the pedal sounds great right out of the box. This pedal was design for metalhead, by a metalhead (probably). If you're an advanced player, it's for you.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Ease of Use: 9
 5.7
 8.4
reviews (3) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
MD1 Metal Distortion Reviewed by: tonello, on august 22, 2011

Ease of Use: As long as you adjust the level (the volume control), the pedal sounds great right out of the box. It's got three controls: a gain control which adjust the amount of distortion, a shape control which changes how the pedal sounds, and a level control which as stated above raises and lowers the volume. The sound is very grainy which is good if your like me and want to just play metal, but I would also suggest getting a fuzz box like a Z Vex Fuzz Factory if you also want to have a good classic kinda vibe (I would not recommend using both at the same time). The manual is even easier (if possible) to use. It has 8 pages and it typed on paper about the size of the entire box which is 2x6x1. // 10

Sound: I play one guitar (only one currently since I sold my Thinline Tele to pay for it), an Epiphone G-400 Custom (3 hum one), and a Vox Night Train full stack (just buy the half stack then add another speaker cab later). The effect can be noisy if not connected to a noise gate especially if your gonna use multiple pedals or have any ideas of recording with it, you had better Pick one up. The Rocktron HUSH Noise Reduction Pedal is by far the best for doing any sort of noise clean up. The MD-1 is generally a pretty solid pedal. Almost too solid you know? I feel as though I'm gonna find out that instead of $40, I look at the receipt and see that I spent $400. It's not good for emulating popular artists, mostly because it doesn't sound quite like anything, but I enjoy that much more because it also allows me to develop a signature sound that I have, with out anyone really copying me. With the Black Label Chorus, you have the ultimate effects unit together. The warm overtones of the Chorus blend so perfectly with the MD-1. // 9

Reliability & Durability: While I do try to rely on as few effects as possible, I cannot help but feel as though this has become the center of my rig. If I were to give up all of my other effects and keep one and only have one forever and ever, this would be it. One problem that I have had is that one of the wires broke off the plug for the battery. I have rectified this by buying the $15 AC plug, which was the plan anyways (batteries do not last long in here maybe a few days). And with the price of batteries these days, most people who buy this should also get a AC plug. I have and will continue to gig with this. It gives me an unequaled sound with it's incredible chunk. // 9

Overall Impression: This pedal was design for metalhead, by a metalhead (probably). Only a metalhead can provide a pedal that sounds like it costs 10x the price. And for $40 if you're a new player, it's for you. If you're an advanced player, it's for you. If this was lost, I'd buy 4 more just in case the other three get lost. For a comparably priced pedal, check out the DigiTech Grunge pedal. The control layout on that is High, Low, Gain, and Volume. I would have liked a bass/treble control, but after trying both out, I fell in love with the shape control on the MD-1. Overall, one of the best distortion pedals I have ever had the pleasure of using. // 9

MD1 Metal Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 23, 2011

Ease of Use: I was new to pedals like these and it took me a while to remember to plug the cables in the right way but that wasn't the pedals fault. The battery holder is difficult to get out but it is possible, even though the battery clip looks like it could tear easy if I pulled too hard. // 9

Sound: Overall, for 40 dollars, I cannot complain. I can't really comment on if it gives any noticeable background noise as I use quite an old amp, but I seem to get a clear sound from it. I wouldn't really call it a metal distortion, maybe more of a hard rock, certainly no match to my metal muff for metal music, but I found ways of making it sound like the "old scratchy distortions" which you would ind on these old riffs, which I am pleased about, also, I found if you lower the gain enough, there is still some distortion, you can link it to "softer" sounding pedals, like chorus pedals etc, and it acts as that edge in the sound you want. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm not too sure about this one, The material is solid metal, with rubber backing for grip, so, yes, its very sturdy, but I've only ever used it on carpet in my bedroom, so I'm not too sure about gigging with it. If I were to take it, I'd take a back up (just from looking at the price). // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I was extremely pleased with this pedal, not just because of the sound and the price I payed, but for me, it just sounded great. (Bear in mind people like different sounds for themselves), but going back to my point before on this pedal being a possible "edge" to your guitar sound, I'd recommend it. // 9

MD1 Metal Distortion Reviewed by: StormJH1, on december 13, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: It only has only three knobs - gain, shape, and level. The "shape" is like a tone control, except that it only really effects the mid level. The knobs are a little on the small side, but easy to access and turn. The pedal is in a heavy metal casing with rubber backing, so it is easy to use the footswitch. If you like what the pedal has to offer, it's not particularly hard to dial in a sound. You would simply adjust the level and then move the "shape" knob to your preference, depending if you want a "scooped sound" or more mids. // 8

Sound: Overall, the sound quality of this pedal is just "okay". It is undeniably a "metal" sound, but sounds a bit dated, like much of the metal you remember from the 80's and early 90's. Again, if that's what you're after, you could argue that's the whole point of the pedal. I just don't think it does it particularly well. It has some low-end "chug" to it, but unlike a Boss Metal Zone, there's no separate bass control to affect how much of that low-end "cabinet thump" you can simulate. On the plus side, the pedal has TONS of output, which can be a problem with some higher-gain distortion pedals. Unity gain is somewhere near 50%, with plenty of headroom left over. Low output was a big problem with the DeltaLab RD1 Rock Distortion, which is a pedal I otherwise liked much better. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have no significant complaints about overall durability, though I would note that the knobs just "feel" a bit cheap in the way they are finished. Also, I've seen a few of these used where either the knobs were broken, or the audio jacks had started to loosen on their own. Correctable, but that really shouldn't happen. Still, if you like the sound enough, I would feel comfortable using it in a live gig, or other setting where I needed to depend on it. The 9V jack is easily accessible on the top (where I like it), so you wouldn't necessarily have to worry about batteries. // 7

Overall Impression: I fully acknowledge that I'm not a good "metal" player, but that doesn't mean I haven't tried other metal pedals that I've liked better. The MXR Fullbore Metal is intriguing, and at the end of the day, you could probably find a used Boss Metal Zone for about the same price as this pedal. The DeltaLab line is being phased out, after Guitar Center carried it a few years as their "store brand" of sorts. I think the Tube Overdrive and Stereo Chorus are good products, but I just can't strongly recommend this. Still, if you enjoy metal, it's a very affordable option that should last for awhile due to the metal casing and switch.

// 6

More DeltaLab reviews rating category latest review
+ CTM-40 Chromatic Tuner & Metronome 4.3 Guitar Effects 04/23/2013