J-Drive Review

manufacturer: Diamond date: 02/24/2006 category: Guitar Effects
Diamond: J-Drive
The J-Drive is two independently switchable pedals in one: a simple clean boost circuit along with the core Diamond Drive circuit. Both can be operated at the same time for a higher gain tone reminiscent of the Lead + Drive setup of the stock Diamond Drive.
 Ease of Use: 10
 7.7
 9.8
 5.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
J-Drive Reviewed by: jmjlai, on february 24, 2006

Purchased from: Music Stop

Ease of Use: This distortion pedal is amazing. There is almost no way to get a bad sound out of it. It has four knobs, gain, warmth, volume, and boost. A switch which makes the sound more compressed and two independant true by-pass switches controll the distiortion and clean boost. Any pedal simpler than this doesnt let you tweak it enough to get 'your' sound. // 10

Sound: I have a modified Epi Dot with Duncans going through a Boss wireless, Boss TU2, Diamond J-Drive, Boss Phase Shifter, true by-pass switch to turn on and off a DigiTech RP200, Morley Little Alligator volume pedal, Marshall MG100HDFX. There is almost non-existant noise coming from the J-Drive. If you crank up the gain, volume, and boost you get a little noise but not that bad at all. I like the sound with the switch in the "up" position, gain at 2/3, warmth at 1/2, volume at 2/3, boost at 2/3. However it's hard to get a bad sound out of it. Well considering one of my favorate bands (The Contact) uses them I can get a sound as close as my other equiptment will let me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a rock, they say the only thing left after the bomb drops will he cockroaches and Boss pedals. I own Boss pedals and their very sturdy but this thing could be used as tank armor. It's never gone out on me and the battery life on it is amazing. You could use it for weeks without changing the battery. // 10

Overall Impression: I play praise and worship and rock for a few years and this thing delivers. I'm glad that I bought it and I'd buy another if it ever got stolen. The sound is just phenominal and it's the best Overdrive I've ever heard. I love especially the clean boost. It can be either by itself or with the Overdrive. Sounds so amazing. Though I would like to have another pedal with a heavyier distortion this pedal's tone stood out from all the rest and that is why I bought it. // 9

More Diamond reviews rating category latest review
+ Compressor 9 Guitar Effects 11/11/2009