Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Review

8.1
reviews (23) pictures (2) 62 comments vote for this gear:
Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: MrCarrot, on april 04, 2007

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: As overdrives go, this thing is great. It's totally simple to use, with a level control, high + low controls, and a gain control, more controls than a Tubescreamer. You can get the sound you're after in about a minute. I've compared it to my Valve Jr's natural OD, and with the right settings, it sounds almost exactly the same but at a more acceptable volume! Comes with a battery, manuals + suggestions for settings, everything you need. 9 for ease of use. // 9

Sound: The pedal's pretty quiet. I'm running a Fender Standard Strat through this straight into my Valve Jr. It gets a great bluesy Overdrive tone, and is very effective at mimicking natural Overdrive. The effect is strong, and sounds great. Mine doesn't eat batteries. It lasted 2 months on the battery it came with of about 1-2 hours a day of playing. It nails Clapton tones, and SRV tones pretty well, it really makes a Strat sing. Imagine a TS-808. Add a High and a Low control, add a bit more grit, take a bit of gain away and you've got a Bad Monkey. 9 here. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Reliable? Sure. Just look at it, massive metal case, battery entombed inside with more metal. I'd gig it without a backup. It's pretty heavy for an OD pedal too, gotta be a good sign of durability. Loads heftier than Boss pedals. 9 for reliability & durability. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues, blues rock, classic rock and the like. It's a perfect match for my playing along with my Strat and Valve Jr. I've been playing for a few years, one year solidly. It's the best in the pricerange, I love everything about it. Suits me to a tee, it really is an amazing pedal for 32. There really is no competition for it in that pricerange. // 9

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 07, 2005

Purchased from: Online Store

Ease of Use: The Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive gives your guitar amp a boost just when you need it. This rugged pedal produces the smooth natural character of an overdriven tube amp while maintaining your guitar's distinct tone. Low and high tone controls give you the flexibility to boost or cut the bass and treble frequencies for just the right sound. Get a Bad Monkey and supercharge your amp's tone. Easy to use! Three knobs give you control over the tone. - Level boosts the output level of your guitar signal. - Low adjusts boost and cut of bass frequencies. - High adjusts boost and cut of upper harmonics. - Gain provides smooth tube amp distortion to your sound. - Dual Outputs. The amp output is for connecting directly to a guitar amplifier. The mixer output features cabinet emulation circuitry for connecting directly to a mixing board or recording device. // 9

Sound: The pedal has a metal case and the sound range goes from warm rhythm tones to great lead guitar and blues tones. Especially for all SRV fans this pedal is a must because it doesen't have to hide behind the Ibanez Stomp Boxes. The sound of the Bad Monkey is warm and smooth with a fairly low-gain sound. This is not a distortion pedal, so those wanting a heavier hard rock-type of sound will be disappointed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Didn't had any problems, well build pedal! // 10

Overall Impression: It's a great pedal to a great price for all blues players. Especially for all SRV fans this pedal is a must because it doesen't have to hide behind the Ibanez Stomp Boxes. This is the new generation of the Tube Screamer. It sounds better, offers more control, and is way cheaper. // 10

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: bassmastamitch, on august 29, 2011

Purchased from: Tommy's Guitar Shop (Everett WA)

Ease of Use: I got it from a "Box of Boxes" in my local guitar shop, and I was looking for a good Drive pedal to create a solid solo tone. I picked it up after seeing some comparisons to a Tube Screamer, and I haven't been let down. When I first started tinkering with it, I was very impressed by the wide tonal palette that was provided with only 4 knobs. The 4 knob set-up is common to me, since I have 2 other X-Series pedals, and this was no exception and fit in to what I'm used to. // 10

Sound: It's an amazing overdrive. With the gain at 0, it provides a beautiful clean boost, and tweaking the EQ to your liking on that clean boost can make that extra pop you need at certain parts in a song, or to boost a distortion. By increasing the gain, you hit the zone from 3-5 it's a great blues Drive tone. Good for songs like Machine Gun Man by Zakk Wylde when you cut the bass, and I like the rawness of the highs. Going up from there on the gain knob it turns into a Vintage tone recognizable in many classic rock and metal sounds, ranging from Metallica and Black Sabbath, to Aerosmith and Queen. The one bad thing that I've found that coupled with my Epiphone G400 SG and Marshall 30 watt combo that when you maxed out the Low knob it drowned out all other sounds completely, which is mainly the only downgrade to the tonality. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's metal chassis is pretty much indestructible. I trust DigiTech pedals. They have grip on concrete and laminate too. // 10

Overall Impression: Just like the other green pedal in this category, it's the best Overdrive you can find, and at an extremely cheap price, unlike the Tube Screamer can be. I considered getting the MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion, but after sound checking against this, I had to choose this, and I haven't regretted it. // 9

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: Kaleb352, on march 13, 2006

Purchased from: local music store

Ease of Use: Simple and effective! Level/volume, high, low, and Gain knobs. The pedal comes with a book that shows some factory settings, but you can do what sounds good. // 9

Sound: This pedal wasn't made for heavy distortion, I wish I'd known that when I bought, but owell. It is basically used to play clean Overdrive songs. You can play lots of soft rock stuff and if you set it up fight, you can get some good hard rock sounds. I play lots of Grunge rock/emo/punk, so this pedal dosnt suit me. But if you like soft rock/'50s/'60s/'70s this pedal will do. // 8

Reliability & Durability: DigiTech always has quallity pedals. The battery life is pretty good and it is really sturdy! I dought you could break it with normal playing. And if you were to use it in gigs, it should do just fine. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is an excellent pedals for begieners or experts. You get quallity sounds on a low budget. For me this pedal has not been helpful inless I'm playing a solo. With my SG I can get pretty good distortion, but not the best. I would recondmend this petal to any one into the soft rock scene. // 8

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: Mark G, on october 26, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is extremely simple to get a good sound from. There are 4 controls: level, low, high, gain. The level is simply the output volume of the pedal. Leaving this at 50% will mean it won't give any extra output. Anything beyond 50% means you are pushing your tubes harder, giving a tighter higher gain sound. The low control is self-explanatory: It boosts/cuts the low frequencies in the signal. If you want a little more "oomph" to your sound, just boost this a bit. The high control is much like the low control: It boosts/cuts the higher frequencies from the signal. If your amp tends to be a bit muddy, boost it a bit. If your amp is very trebly, you can cut it a bit. The gain knob is a little trickier: If you use the amp on it's clean channel, you can use the gain to give it some crunch, or smooth overdrive. If you use the amp on its distorted channel, you can use this knob to boost the gain even further if you already maxed the level. This is a very straight up in your face stomp box, so there are no preset patches. The manual does make a few suggestions, but it is easy enough to figure out on your own. The manual is fine, it doesn't go into too much detail but it isn't needed so that's fine. It tells you what you need to know, no more, no less. My unit is stock, and I don't know if there are any firmware upgrades for this. I highly doubt it, since this pedal doesn't use any patches or presets. A 10, because it is very easy to use. // 10

Sound: I am using this pedal along with a Schecter C1 Classic with EMG81/85 pickups through a B-52 At 112 amp. I always boost my lows and highs a bit and leave the middle at about 50%. I can't really turn up the volume on my amp enough to get it cranked due to other inhabitants of my building. My amp on it's own can deal cleans and rock sounds easily. However, this pedal gives it the extra push it needs for metal, metalcore but also jazz and blues. I simply boost my amps distortion with the level knob for the metal and metalcore, and I boost my amps cleans channel with the gain knob for jazz and bluesy sounds. This is a very cheap pedal. However, it does not add as much noise as other pedals I've tried do. I've tried a couple of Boss OD pedals as well as tube screamers and the TS9. This Pedal was not only a lot cheaper, it also produced less extra noise. If you really push this pedal to it's limits (level and gain max) you lose some of that organic feel, and your sound can get a bit digital. However, you shouldn't boost everything this much anyway if you have any common sense in you. A 9, because it sounds a bit digital when you boost the amp to truly manic proportions (which you shouldn't be doing anyway). // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is a very sturdy metal stomp box, although it feels a little less solid than a Boss pedal. I'm not sure exactly why, because the differences are very minimal. It hasn't given me any problems however, and I would use it without a backup any day. an 8, because Boss pedals are a bit sturdier. // 8

Overall Impression: I've had this pedal for 2 years now, so this is not a day after review. I've had ample time to tinker with this pedal and try alternatives etc. To this day I remain impressed with the quality and versatility DigiTech has been able to put into this pedal for only 50 bucks. I play metal and metalcore, with the occasional jazz and blues. This pedal suits my needs perfectly for all these genres although it really shines for metalcore. The extra gain and punch this thing can produce is bordering on the insane. If it were stolen, I would simply buy it again. There is no other pedal on the market that gives such an incredible boost, with so little extra noise for this kind of money. I love how you can choose between using your amps own gain, and the gain of the pedal. You can boost your amps gain with the level knob, or use the pedals own gain settings using the pedals gain knob. This makes for a lot of versatility. The only downside to this pedal is its buffer. It can sound digital when pushed too much. But hey, you can't have it all for only 50 bucks. I tried all the other OD pedals Guitar Center stocks, too many to list here. Just check the guitarcenter website for their OD pedals. I decided on the Bad Monkey in the end, because it had the biggest gain boost, with the least amount of extra noise, for the lowest price. I would only like this thing to have a better buffer, but that would probably double it's price. If you want an inexpensive yet highly versatile and effective OD pedal, get this. It will push your amp into the realms of metal blues or jazz however you see fit. // 9

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: J.Dawg, on october 30, 2008

Ease of Use: The reason I payed $0.00 is because it was a free offer, that came with the purchase of my DigiTech Whammy. It`s very easy to get a good sound out of it, just turn the knobs on it, and set it on what you want. The manual for it just tells you the basics about it. The unit has never been upgraded. I really don`t know the firmware revision number; it has no editing patches. // 9

Sound: My setup is this, My Gibson SG is connected to my DigiTech Whammy, then from my Whammy to my DigiTech Grunge distortion, then from my distortion to my DigiTech Bad Monkey, then from the Bad Monkey to a Marshall amp. It`s not noisey on any settings really, no matter how high or low you put it. The effects are pretty good, they always sound great too. I can get sounds of my favorite artists like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin... and so on. If you run the distortion with the Overdrive, it kinda creates a blanket over the sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on it, but I would need some backup in a gig. But I could depend on it because it is made pretty good, it could take the beating, on the ware of turning it on & off. It is a very good pedal and the way it's designed is made for dependability. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Classic rock like AC/DC & Led Zeppelin, as mentioned before, and Alternative rock like Rage Against The Machine. It`s a good match for more of the Classic rock catagory, AC/DC and stuff. I've been playing for 4 years. My other gear is my Gibson SG, DigiTech Whammy, DigiTech Grunge, and a Marshall amp. If it were stolen or lost I would get it again because it is a good pedal. I like the whole thing, and every feature is my favorite feature. Didn`t need to compare it to other products. I wish it had a bit more effects, but the effcets on it are just fine. // 10

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: Robbgnarly, on may 01, 2012

Ease of Use: Simple lay-out, works decent as a boost. This is a pretty decent pedal if you are looking for the TS-9 type sound on the cheap. You can get any thing from a mild boost to a decent classic rock style over Drive with the gain cranked. I like the fact that it has a treble and bass knob instead of the standard single tone knob like most OD pedals do. // 8

Sound: I use this to boos my Bugera 333's crunch channel. It deff gives more sustain than the amp normally does. It is noisy when on and I'm not a big fan of this. I run the level about 3/4, Treble 3/4, bass 4/4, gain barely on 1. It sounded very nice when it worked. // 6

Reliability & Durability: No I can not depend on it, the input jack has already gone bad after literally 6 times of using it. Now mine was used, but it was in like new condition. This has made my gun shy of other DigiTech pedals, although this is the only one I have or planned to own. // 2

Overall Impression: I play a variety of styles but mostly very aggressive Punk/Metal. This pedal (while working was a good addition to my sound. I have been playing for 17+ yrs. I don't think I will buy another DigiTech product because of the problems I have had with this unit. I am thinking of getting the GFS Greenie. // 4

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: darthbuttchin, on january 04, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is one of the easiest pedals to get a good sound from. You literally turn the knobs and you have a great tube overdrive sound. You do get a manual with it, but that just tells you where to plug the leads in and what each knob does. There is also a small catalogue that comes with it that shows all of Digitech's stompboxes and in there you can find some settings to start you off. // 9

Sound: I am using a Cruiser by Crafter RG600, with a Denio CH-40 Chorus pedal, through an old Stagg amp. The pedal is a very noisy pedal if you turn it right up, though if you strive to get an amazing tone from it, you find it can be a subtle noise as well. This pedal is always very strong sounding, unless the battery is running out at which point the effect isnt so good. I am able to get a good sound out of it and I can replicate the sounds of many of my favourite artists, such as Cream. I can also manage to get a good Nirvana sound out of it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Generally speaking, you can depend on this pedal. It will always give you an amazing Overdrive. However, if you are not going to use a power supply, be warned, it eats bateries. Especially if you leave the leads plugged in. I would take it to a gig without backup, though I would definitely make sure I took a spare battery with me, or I would change the battery before I left for the gig. // 8

Overall Impression: I really play classic rock and blues and also a lot of grunge. This pedal is(as far as I am concerned) a good match, as I can get a very good sound out of it for all the music that I play.I have been playing for two years and I own a Denio CH-40 Chorus pedal aswell. If this pedal was stolen, I would take after the person Who stole it. When I caught them, I would take the Bad Monkey and Drive it through their skull. I would then take the Bad Monkey and enough of their money so that I could buy a new one and have two! The thing that I love most about this pedal is that it doesnt't take long to make a great sound with it. However, the only bad thing about it is that it eats batteries like they are going out of fashion. I compared this product with the other pedals in Digitech's distortion range and decided that it was the one that was most versatile. // 9

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: PumpkinPieces, on march 26, 2007

Purchased from: Playford Music Co.

Ease of Use: This pedal has its typical DigiTech set up with level, lows, highs, and gain knobs. Pretty simple to use and very easy to get you guitar to sound like a Bad Monkey. The manual gives you a few pre sets which are all pretty spiffy, but it won't be too hard to stray away and get your own sound. // 10

Sound: the Bad Monkey not only is fun to say but fun to play thru. So far I've used my Epiphone Jr. P-90 thru it into a Marshall MG100 half stack and at the store played thru a tube amp. It sounded awesome on both amps. It gives a nice smooth Overdrive just as it promises. I play many genres, my band plays punk/ska and this is a very nice addition to my pedals. I also play a lot of Smashing Pumpkins, and I've always had trouble with a solid state amp getting the light overdriven sound in intro of bullet with butterfly wings, and this pedal solved that. This pedal is great from smooth lightly overdriven cleans to Classic rock Overdrive. // 9

Reliability & Durability: DigiTech pedals are made quite well, durable and easy to use, I doubt it'll break, it's like a steel brick. And I would gig without a back up. another thing is it doesn't slip around due to it's weight and nice grips on the bottom. Stomp on it as hard as you want, it can take it. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said I play just about anything, and this pedal is great for overriven punk, classic leads, and those light overdriven 90's Grunge intros (I can get a nice smells like teen spirit intro sound). I've been playing for a year and 4 months. I also own a Crossroads pedal and a Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi. With these three I'm pretty much set distortion wise, and am ready to look into different effects. I would absolutely buy this again if it were stolen for 45 bucks it's a hell of a deal. I went into the store planning on getting a Screamin' Blues or Bad Monkey, I could get the Screamin' Blues sound with my Crossroads pedal and the Bad Monkey had a much different sound, so I chose the Bad Monkey. I wish it had a little bit more gain, just a bit, but I just turn on my bigg muff on a low setting to get a little more boost, heck vice versa too. If you need a nice smooth Overdrive, this is a heck of a steal. // 9

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: shabutie86, on may 11, 2007

Ease of Use: Pretty damn simple to use like any effects pedal, you got your high and your low, your gain and your volume, all very basic. There is a manual that comes with it that shows factory settings and other of digitechs products. Also it has a second output port for a mixing board which is always nifty. // 8

Sound: Right now I am using a Les Paul Studio and a Roland Cube 30 amp on the classic stack modeling which is basically modeled after a Marshall I believe. Anyhow the sound is beautifull, it has a nice low warm fuzz sound or with some tweaking some nice attacking loud crisp fuzz, it has a very classic rock sound, reminisent of hendrix or even Zeppelin if tuned correctly. If your into Wolfmother this is the pedal for you! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Nothing so far wrong with it, it's a metal casing and it's been beautifull so far. The knobs are all lowered and pretty rough to turn so there's no accidental movement and messing up of your tone you got going, I've knocked it around a bit accidently and no damage to it so far! // 9

Overall Impression: I am in love with this pedal, I play a lot of different kinds of music but I use this specifically for classic rock sounds, and I use it for playing lots of Wolfmother. I've had it for little under a month now and if it was stolen I would totally buy it again. // 10

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: Iron Rocket, on june 11, 2007

Ease of Use: It is smiply a great sounding guitar effect it has 4 nobs to turn too change the sound. Gain, level, hi, and low. The manual tells you how to work it what batter and some cool settings. Never needed a fix or a tune up it's amazing. You can't edit it. I can't beleive how good it sounds it's so easy too use perfect from beginner to pro it's awesome. // 10

Sound: Crate guitar, B.C. Rich Warlock. Not much extra noise unless you use the amp dist and the Bad Monkey. This effect is very powerful and has a grate punch it's for hard rock(GN'R), blues/southernrock (Lynyrd Skynyrd), and thrash (Bullet For My Valentine) are the best musics for this effect. Other effects just an RP250, Boss wah. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes you can depend on it it has warrenty enlees it was messed up in the shipping no need to use the warrenty. I would use this without a backup if you want too that's fine if your use different sounds okay but you don't need it this dist. Will hold it's own. The durability of this thing is amazing I drop it all the time and sounds as good as when I bought it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, thrash, hardcore (Christian). Perfect match for my fast fingers. 2 1/2 years I'm 14 so I don't have the creame of the crop. Washburn acoustic, Crate Electric, Bad Monkey, RP250. No I tried it and just fell in love with it.If it were stolen I would go when I found out and get another.Love everything hate nothing. My fave is it's raw punch.Its not compareable show me one and I'll try it but you probly wont change my mind. // 10

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: CWeavr, on june 11, 2007

Purchased from: local guitar shop

Ease of Use: The Bas Monkey is just a basic Overdrive pedal. It has High and Low controls to cut or boost bass and treble frequencies, Level control to control to output level, and Gain controls to determine the amount of Overdrive you get. It has amp and recording/mixer outputs. It also comes with a manual to teach you how to use it properly if you are new to stompboxes. // 9

Sound: I use a Standard Strat through a Marshall solid state with a few other pedals. You can get a great gritty boost out of this pedal. But if you're looking for a heavy distortion, look elsewhere. It sounds great on both rythym and lead parts. Reminds me of the Tube Screamer. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's very dependable. The only problem I've had with it was that the level knob came loose after a few months, but it wasn't a big deal. Everything else was fine. I've dropped it, tripped over it, and accidently kicked it, but it is still in perfect condition. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm not a real big fan of DigiTech. I've never really found a pedal from them that I loved, but the Bad Monkey is definately an exception to that. It was exactly what I was looking for, to give my solid state a tube-like boost. It's definately one of the best DigiTech pedals I've played. And the price is so low it's like you're ripping of DigiTech. I definately recomend it to any player looking for a gritty boost. // 9

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: VLVTRVOLVR13, on august 11, 2007

Ease of Use: So I went with my friend to GC today and he was trying out different pedals to try and find a good distortion pedal for his single channel Crate amp. We took a look at the cheap line of OD and distortion pedals by DigiTech and the first was the Tube Overdrive Bad Monkey. The pedal was extremely easy to use, I didn't even take a look at the manual. There were four knobs, Level, Bass, High, Gain. And each knob functioned as it was clearly labeled. There are no patch editing features, but the knobs felt pretty firm, so you wouldn't have to worry about them brushing a side and screwing up your setting. // 10

Sound: Clearly, DigiTech was trying to manufacture a cheaper version of the Tube Screamer, one of the most popular Overdrive pedals. As a whole, the Bad Monkey(BM) created similar tones. It was very quiet, even when the gain was cranked, and I would reccomend using this pedal either to get a good overdriven rhythm sound, classic rock sound, or, use this pedal to boost your amps distortion channel for a lead setting. I feel like the greatest use of this pedal lies in its ability to boost a lead signal without creating any unwanted feedback or hum. I certainly wouldn't really on this pedal as my main rhythm sound, but I play more modern rock that requires a lot more gain. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is built with a metal/steel body or something like that, regardless of material, it was hard and built for smashing. I felt like I could really on the BM not to let me down durring a gig, and I think it would hold up very well after constant use. // 8

Overall Impression: If you are looking for a cheap way to get that classic tude Overdrive sound, the Bad Monkey is probably the best way to go. Through a tube amp, the pedal does sound very nice, but it certainly doesn't top the classic Tube Screamer. As a guitarist of about three years, I've tried out a ton of gear, and there's nothing too special about this pedal. It works well, it feels tough, and it sounds decent. it's nothing I would replace if lost or stolen, but if I were tight for cash (arent we all?), this would be an alternative I would deffinately look into. // 8

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: WrathOscuro, on august 20, 2007

Ease of Use: As long as you understand it's purpose, this pedal is just as easy as any other DigiTech stomp box. The knobs are level, low, high, and gain. The Bad Monkey is very versatile, yet also easy to get cool sounds out of it. Take note that this is an Overdrive pedal. Not a distortion pedal. Don't expect to get some brutal gain out of the pedal alone. This is used to add some grit to your cleans, or add an extra boost to an amp that can already be overdriven. // 10

Sound: This is pretty much a cheap version of an Ibanez Tube Screamer, only it's a more smooth sounding Overdrive. Though it is only a $40, it is great at what it is supposed to do. Using the pedal alone, you can go from the Stevie Ray Vaughan sounds, to Jimi Hendrix, to Led Zeppelin if tweaked right. Like other Overdrive pedals, it also can act as a boost to an amp that already has gain, to make your tone thicker, put more character into your notes, etc. The thing that I love about this pedal is that it also will maintain your guitar's tone. Bluesy leads, shrieking leads, whatever you want. Though this is a great quality pedal especially for the money, It is recommended that the reader should try out several Overdrive pedals, because it's all a matter of personal preference whether or not one likes the Bad Monkey or the Tube Screamer better. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had absolutely no technical problems what'soever with this pedal, though just like any other stomp box, it will suck down battery juice pretty quickly. Also, it's made out of hard metal casing. I've dropped this pedal and have drug it around, yet the pedal still has yet to have any dings in it. // 10

Overall Impression: There is really not much else to say that hasn't been said already. It's nice smooth Overdrive for a great price of $40, it's reliable, durable, and will serve those Who understand the purpose of an Overdrive pedal nicely. Got an amp that has built in Overdrive, but it's just not enough? Try this pedal out for a good boost. // 9

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: sjones, on august 29, 2007

Ease of Use: The DigiTech Bad Monkey Overdrive is a great Overdrive for a bargain price. Many people have referred to this as a "Tube Screamer clone on a budget." It is a simple pedal to use and doesn't take a whole lot of time tweaking. The manual that comes with it is also very informative and give some suggestions on setting. // 9

Sound: I use this pedal to front end my Peavey Windsor Head. The pedal isn't noisy at all. The effects are easily tweaked to your likings. Remember: this is an Overdrive pedal, not a distortion pedal. This pedal is made to boost your amp and give more grit and gain. It also tightens up your sound too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal has never given me a single problem. It's never broke once and is very reliable. I gig it without a backup all the time. I use power supplies for all my pedals, so I don't know what the battery life is like. It's one of my favorite pieces of gear. // 8

Overall Impression: My bands orginals are a hard southern rock, and we do covers all the way from heavy '70s rock and up. This pedal works for everything. If it were stolen or lost I would get another one the next day because of it's inexpensive pricetag. The way that it boosts your amp and tightens up the sound is great. // 10

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: will-loves-zep, on october 22, 2007

Purchased from: Fairdeal, Birmingham

Ease of Use: This effect is real simple, just plug your guitar into it then plug this into your amp. It takes a 9v power adaptor which, I would recommend, or a 9v battery. That's pretty much all the instruction you need. The sound is very good, you can use the four knobs (low, high, gain and volume) to tweak it but it's very easy to get a good sound. It came with a booklet with all the DigiTech effects in it and settings for all of them (including this one) and I did look at them but just found my own way around. // 9

Sound: I use an ESP LTD M-200FM and a USA Stadard Telecaster through a Laney TF-200 and it sounds sweeet! I play through the oferdrive 2 channel (the one with most crunch) and use this for a solo boost usually. For this I set the high to full and the gain to about 5 or 6 and the bass to 7. It sounds really fat and full, you can get close to any sound that uses a Tube Screamer with this as it has thew same chip in it. I play mainly classic rock (Deep Purple, led zep) and modern hard rock (the answer, the datsuns) and I play in a grungy rock band and I can depend on it totally for the sound I want. It can make solos really wail and scream, for example it can make me sound just like Thin Lizzy's Chinatown solo. Overall a great sound, fat, full and screachy. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it totally. I use a power adaptor to avoid any embarasment mid-solo and would definately use it for a gig without backup. It is built like a rock, the construction is similar to that of a Boss pedal; a no non-sense metal block. you could throw it off a stage quite easily without a screw coming loose. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for around 5 years and this pedal ticks all my boxes. I would definately buy it again if it broke or was stolen by someone. As I said I use this for a solo boost and tryed out this and a Boss DS-1 in the shop and this kicked it's arse. The DS-1 was way too noisy, the Bad Monkey works with your amp and keeps the basics of your sound, the DS-1 didn't at all. I especially love the screaming solo tone and don't hate anything about it at all. I mean even the name is pretty damn cool. The pedal could have a mid control but I don't think it needs it, it would make it more versatile though especially if you weren't just using it for solos. This pedal rocks, go buy it now! // 10

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: cheeseisthebomb, on january 11, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal is one of the easier DigiTech Pedals to use. There is a volume knob, a low knob, and a high knob. There is also a gain knob. That makes a total of four knobs. There is a manual for it which is worth flipping through for some sample settings, which I recomend trying out. // 8

Sound: This pedal is a below average sounding pedal. The low sounds completley pathetic no matter what, so then that eleminates the sound all together. I find the distortion to be muddy. I used to think that this would be a good pedal for boost, but I don't think that that would work either. There is no paticular artist you can get out of this pedal. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I never have like the way DigiTech's were constructed. The last DigiTech pedal I had fell apart and I wasn't really sure why I got this one. If you are a heavy stomper, or an aggressive player then don't buy this pedal. You will have to do some major repair work in order if you do. Avoid gigging. // 5

Overall Impression: This pedal would be good for a cheap, lightly distorted rythem guitarist in a 3 chord punk band. That is really the only thing it is good for. I don't like this pedal at all. It is not reliable, nor does it sound good at all. I wish the sound was better. If you want a good Overdrive pedal, try out the Boss Super Overdrive pedal, Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, or the Boss OD-1 Overdrive pedal. // 5

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: GeneSmasher, on june 05, 2008

Ease of Use: Majority of tones that can come out of this thing are really nice. Personally, I use it as a mild Overdrive though it can go quite high in terms of gain level. I found my favourite tone quite easily. There are only four knobs - level, low, high and gain. So it's quite an easy to use pedal. Mine is made in the USA and no modifications, all stock so far. // 10

Sound: I use the Bad Monkey purely with a humbucker-driven setup. My guitar is an Ibanez GSA60 and my amplifier is a Sound Drive SG-10. I use the Bad Monkey as a booster for my Beta Aivin HM-200 Heavy Metal distortion pedal, since I play mostly metal, neo-classical shred and experimental, though I also play a lot of rock. The tone is quite weak when the pedal is set to a trebly tone, but other than that, the tone is punchy and strong. As a booster, it shines by cleaning up my HM-200's tone a bit, yet making the volume louder and more middy. As a standalone, it shines when used to play pop-rock stuff like the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, etc, an even Radiohead, etc. It excels more as a mild Overdrive. The Bad Monkey, I'd say, is more of a Tubescreamer kinda overdrive/booster. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Its made in the USA, so most would think it more reliable, but for me I don't care if it's made in the USA or China. A well-built pedal is a well-built pedal, no matter what the origin. The Bad Monkey does not disgrace it's origin. It is very well-built, tough, even though I bought it second hand. // 10

Overall Impression: With the Bad Monkey, I boost metal leads, and as standalone, more as a mild Overdrive for the verses of rock songs. I play stuff ranging from contemporary Christian music to modern metal, and the Bad Monkey shines as a standalone Overdrive or a booster. A guitarist for close to 7 years, I know my playing style and I stick to it. If it were lost or stolen, I'd either get it again, or if a Boss SD-1 or Ibanez TS-7 comes up at a cheaper price, I'd get those since the three pedals sound quite similar (Tubescreamer kinda tone). I also like the fact that it has mixer output, and unlike most other Drive pedals, the gain level can be increased without the overall output level increasing as well. I wish, however, that it could have more of a personality than being DigiTech's answer to the Ibanez Tubescreamer. // 8

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: BlackandSilver, on june 25, 2008

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Ease of Use: It's pretty simple to get some awesome sounds from it. Set your amp up to treble (10) and middle (5) and put the gain up all the way to bring out some crazy sounds from this thing. Then, put high at about 5 and low according to tastes, and add gain for a metal sound or put high, gain and level all the way up to make your guitar scream! The manual explains these in good detail, and even gives you some suggestions. // 9

Sound: Drive G65 and Epiphone SG310 work great with this baby. Even with level up all the way, you get a reletavely screach-less sound. (But sometimes you get a little too much background noise.) The effects themselves really do some crazy different metal and hard-rock oriented tones. This pedal saves you a lot of time mixing, and sounds awesome Live. Add a little reverb to create a godly sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing was made to stand up to getting run over. I dropped this down the stairs and there's not even a scratch on it. I've had it for a month or so and the battery died once during that time. It's a cheap little 9 volt you get at CVS in a pack of ten for 2 bucks, too. I could tottaly change the battery right before a gig and trust it to last (I would trust a week-old battery at a gig with this baby). // 9

Overall Impression: This is perfect for virtually any type of rock that needs a little tube Overdrive added in. It can do metal, Grunge, screamo, and hard rock the best (in my opinion). Stack it with a reverb pedal and you've got a pretty good chain going. If I ever needed a new one, I'd buy a replacement in a heartbeat. This thing is made of magic. It just needs enough gain between it and the amp for the sound to expand enough and you're rockin' hardcore style! // 9

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: dynastywest69, on november 12, 2010

Purchased from: Amazon.co.uk

Ease of Use: I bought this from a recommendation from a guitar DVD (metal rhythm in 6 weeks) in seconds I was able to set this little bad boy up with the gain fx from my amp and the result was awesome! It comes with a little handbook on different settings but tbf you can find your own personal one in seconds (I really mean this lol). // 9

Sound: I play alot of BFMV, although they use the TS-9, I can still get close to the sound they use. It really does kick the s**t up from the bottom end and pushes it in full force the result one awesome metal tone. Although I don't suggest using it one any small practise amps as it seems to be too much for them. It features High, Low and Gain settings to help adjust that sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The durability of thing is really great, I could probably launch this up in the air and let it land on the pavement and I could still use it at gig without the worry of it failing, I have had the same battery in since I bought a couple of months ago and I play usually for a couple of hours a day and its still going so theres a + // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal and this pedal has now come in as part of my main setup and I think it will stay there for a while... If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again, I know there are people going to hurt me for saying this but I rate this little bad boy over the TS-9 and is definately a cheaper alternative to it as well. I reccomend all to buy! // 9

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 13, 2012

Price paid: C$ 65

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Ease of Use: This is a very versatile pedal that is easy to use, I find myself using it as a low-mid gain tube Screamer type sound, it is better then a tube Screamer in my opinion because you can dial in the tone of your guitar with the high and low knobs, this is the key to the pedal and to unlock its potential. // 9

Sound: I use a Epiphone standard plain top, as well as an American Fender Special Strat, two very different sounding guitars, this pedal is a little harsher at higher gain settings(past 3'oclock) but otherwise this pedal has extremely high output with less noise then my Fulltone OCD, you can get a very good clean SRV tone not a rude mood tone but a Lenny tone with this pedal extremely easily. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Such a great pedal I think mine was used because I got it for so cheap, but I don't have any concerns with build quality it is incredible, I have no concerns for this pedal, all the knob are secure, the foot switch is great just watch that you don't cut the battery wire by stomping like me, be careful to tuck it inside the foot switch. // 10

Overall Impression: I have had this pedal for almost 2 1/2 years without a problem, it is a great pedal for light blues, it works very well with other od's, but more so with distortion as a booster to take out the harshness of some distortions and get some clarity out of your amp, I would buy this pedal again if I lost it without a doubt, Love everything about this pedal no concerns, I do wish it had a switch for different gain stages as the knob is hard to get perfect (especially if you're a tone freak like me) otherwise, crazy good, cheap pedal that doesn't act, sound or seem like it, I highly suggest getting one if you're on the fence, you wont be disappointed! // 9

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: GUITARCHRISCOOL, on april 17, 2012

Price paid: C$ 50

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Ease of Use: This pedal is really easy to use with only four knobs its pretty hard to get a bad sound out of this thing if you can dial in your guitars "tone". There is nothing I dislike about this pedal, so worth it you should definitely try it if you are considering, because it is not for everyone, but it sure is for me! // 10

Sound: This pedal is not noisy with humbuckers or single coils. It has a high output volume. This is a good low gain pedal, it is a subtle Tube Screamer type pedal. The secret of this pedal lies in the high/low knobs, it is important to set it right (Strat has high boosted and low back maybe one tick, the opposite for a Les Paul, and same for a Telecaster) that is in my opinion how this pedal gets a bad rep is when people do comparisons with a Tube Screamer but they don't dial in their guitar. But for the money you cannot beat it! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have done several gigs with it without issue I wouldn't worry about build quality, because it is so essential to my sound I do carry another overdrive, but I am not overly concerned with it the knobs are solid the foot switch is trustworthy, man I just love this pedal! // 9

Overall Impression: For a Fender Blues to a SRV tone it can't be beat by anything in this price range so happy I stumbled upon it, it does work well with my Blues Driver, OCD, DS-1 and Big Muff. I would definitely buy another if I lost it or it was stolen. I love this peal so much as it is such a good all around Overdrive for me without breaking the bank. I do wish this pedal had a button that you could change from subtle OD to grittier (like the OCD) but its still a great little pedal, can't beat it for the price! // 10

Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: Jaspafari, on november 01, 2012

Price paid: € 50

Purchased from: Keymusic

Ease of Use: Out of the box is the Bad Monkey very easy to use. You can't do much wrong to get a good sound. Four controls: level, low, high and gain. Level let set the output volume, which means this pedal can be used as a boost if desired. Low cuts or boost the low frequencies, the high knob does the same with the higher frequencies, allowing to shape the tone of the produced sound. Gain sets the amount of overdrive. 1 input, 2 outputs, a nor; al one and an output for going straight in a mixing board or PA. It comes standard with a 9v battery, although I immediately put it in a daisy chain with my other pedals, I never use a battery. The manual tells you what you need to know, but no more than that. Of course not much info is needed. // 9

Sound: I myself played this with different setups, but mostly it's a variety of pedals, a Vox AC30C2 and a Strat with single coils or a Jackson Rhoads with Seymour Duncan humbuckers. It sounds great with singe coils and humbuckers, although a bit tweaking of the settings when changing guitar can be needed. Depending of the pickups it can be a bit mid heavy. For instance if I use my SG with Iommibuckers I loose some clarity in my tone, this is mostly solved by my equalizer. In general it sounds great though. I never experienced much noise with it, except when chaining it together with a distortion pedal on playing with a lot of gain. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is build like a tank and could survive a hell of a lot of abuse, Solid Metal casing comparable to Boss pedals. It has never failed me, and I would be disappointed if it ever did. // 10

Overall Impression: I compared a lot before buying this, but when doubting between this and other pedals with twice the price the decision is easily made. It's a very versatile pedal, can be used for overdrive, boosting or getting some more gain in your distortion. For me the extra output for going to a mixing board is a bit useless. This pedal is not the last one in my effects chain, so it has no use for me. Overall, this is a great versatile and easy pedal in a much lower price range than competing brands.

// 9

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Drop 8.2 Guitar Effects 09/26/2014