Death Metal Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 09/27/2012 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: Death Metal
The legendary Death Metal pedal is by far the most extreme distortion you will ever hear. Simply put, we have turned the gain up to "eleven" and ripped the knob off.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 Ease of Use: 9.2
 8.3
 8.9
 7.7
reviews (61) pictures (2) 143 comments vote for this gear:
Death Metal Reviewed by: KVX10 KING V, on january 02, 2006

Purchased from: Prom Music

Ease of Use: This pedal I believe is the easiest pedal to use, and buy the sound the most powerful one too. The settings speak for themselves, the level controls the output power of the sound and volume, the low controls the bass practically, the mid is basically middle if you have a middle knob on your amp, and the high is more of a contour control, but with a lot more depth. You can have from a Death Scoop sound, to a Smooth Sustain, right up to a Knife's Edge blasting distortion. The manual shows you four different sound settings and tells you what each knob does. But since the pedal is so easy to use they don't tell you anything else, because they don't expect you to be retarded with it. // 10

Sound: The setup I am using is a Hyburn strat currently (expecting to recieve a KVX10 King V Jackson soon), with a Rodam and Planet Wave patch cords. Along with a Marshall G80RCD which is a 100watt amp, or my Fender Sidekick 10 watt, or my MS-2 Marshall pocket amp. The pedal is never noisy, it is as quiet as the guitar on a clean setting. This pedal's effects are the most powerful there are, if u think you have mad distortion, think again and try out this pedal. If you ever listen to any Children Of Bodom, In Flames, Lamb Of God, Iced Earth, you know what killer metal sounds like. This pedal can allow you to obtain metal like the bands I just listed, without any problems. One thing I suggest not doing, is to turn down you Low knob because it make the sound, sound like there is no bass, other than that this pedal is perfect for any distortion, and since it is only one type of distortion, to control how much distortion you want just turn down your volume knob on your guitar, trust me it works. // 10

Reliability & Durability: If you can't depend on this pedal then don't even think about depending on other pedals in a gig. The recessed knobs prevent accidental foot "adjustments." The pedal is three times heavier as the competition thanks to a cast metal body with a rubber bottom so it won't slide around on stage. There is a six-year warranty to prove that DigiTech built the pedal to last. It features an extra cabinet modeling output which allows you to go direct-to-mixing board. If you don't have a 9v power supply the pedal has a Super-easy battery access chamber to change during a song (drum solo's are good for something). Just use a 1/4" guitar plug to push the release button instead of having to hunt for a screw driver. And is is colour coded for easy identification. If you come across a problem with the pedal (other than the fact you have attempted to blow it up, or shoot it into oncoming traffic) then you are the first to find one thing wrong with it. So by the description it have just provided, yes I would gig with it without backup. // 10

Overall Impression: It suits my style of music perfectly, if you can guess I am a metal head, and I play every type of metal there is, but I also play blues, jazz, classical, and acoustic. So duh, its a good match to my style. I have been playing for 3 years, and I currently own a G80RCD Marshall, a Fender Sidekick, a MS-2 pocket amp, and a Hyburn Strat, which I have already mentioned. If it were lost I would ripped my house and neibourhood apart to find it. If it were stolen I would track the bastard down, and tie him to a chair and make him listen to my amp with the pedal, on 10 volume till his ears began to bleed (so yeah its a good pedal). I bascially love the hole thing, the look, the feel, and most of all the Death Metal, there is nothing is dislike about it. I didn't compare it to any other pedal becuase this is the only pedal with the heaviest metal out there, and if you find one that compares to this one, contact me. The only other thing I wish it had was the power adapter had come with the pedal, but no it didn't so I had to go buy that separate. So basically this is the most leathal distortion out there, so go ahead and see if you can find any heavier than this. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: LoudMF, on january 03, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is amazing. The disortion on it is so easy to use. Plug and play basicly, the manual that came with it shows you the different settings that you can get on it. The manual shows 4 different distortions but you can tweak with it and find a bunch more. // 10

Sound: I use a Washburn Chicago Pro Series and a Marshall MG100 with it. The effect on the pedal is nice and strong. Doesn't have the warm sound like the Marshall distortion but its not supposed to, its a Death Metal pedal right? I found that the pedals good for using in a wide variety of situations. It works awesome with Pantera, good with Slipknot and damn good with Nevermore. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Reliability, its a truck. You can drop it and it'll still give you the same sound that it did when you bought, day and day out. I would use it at a gig with a back up, with confidence. Although it eats through batterys like a MF. Buy the adapter it'll pay for itself time and time again. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal, it's a really good match with it. Hence the name Death Metal. I've been playing for about a year and a half now. This was my first pedal, I'm definatly going back to get the DigiTech Metal Master. If it were lost or stolen I'd kill somebody, then check his wallet for the cash to get a new one. I love the easy to use dials on it. It's retard proof for kids like me. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: jsmetalrose, on november 04, 2005

Purchased from: www.theplanetofsound.co.uk

Ease of Use: The ease of use is pritty simple, you got your "level," "low," "mid" and "high" knobs to fiddle with. Thats about it, just twist for your sound, simple as! // 10

Sound: Hmm, this is pritty awkward to explain, when you plug this into your amp and of course your guitar, it sounds amazing as the distortion is different to what you used to use. I like the distortion, it goes from simple over drive to over the top distortion. When you listen a bit more carefully and if your like me, you want the perfect tight palm muting sound, nice warm rythm work, possibly squeels at some point on top and bottom strings of your guitar and nice clear treble picking. This pedal does have the capabilities, but the treble picking can be a bit damp and if you want your heavy palm muting, its pritty hard to get a decent squeel from this pedal. The palm muting can get very low for a dark feel to create some furious creative work. But what I did find, when you're not playing and you just want some silence, there's a nasty buzzing sound coming from the amp (to be as blunt as I can) which didnt make me happy. But bare in mind this, I do use a digital amp and this is a analogue pedal! But everything else seems fine. All in all, this is a good pedal and worth buying, but if you're very fussy and picky like me, I wouldnt get it. But it doesnt harm going to your local store and give it a try. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is rather heavy for what it is, construction is tight and this thing is durable. But I wouldn't trust dropping it on a carpet floor. But as a pedal, it is well built. // 8

Overall Impression: All in all, I play anything from heavy metal (new wave: Chimaira), black metal (Devildriver, Arch Enemy, Cradle Of Filth), Death Metal (Zyklon) and alternative/experimental (don't know what exactly to class this band but I love them: Tool). I own a Line 6 Spider II head (150watt) and cab (4x12) with a ESP LTD MH400, which consists of 81/5 EMGs (that's the important part) look it up if you want more specs. Boss Metal Zone did not work with my amp, bit dissapointing, but I'm really interested in the Korg AX3000G, Line 6 PODXT Live and the Boss GT8. I've gone around and still searching for the best pedal for my needs, anyone got any ideas, please let me know. But the Death Metal pedal matches my type of playing, but shame about the small things. // 7

Death Metal Reviewed by: metallica4evr, on may 09, 2006

Purchased from: amazon

Ease of Use: Easy to use. Simple analog controls: level, low, mid, high. Just plug in, set your equalizer settings, match your level with your amp gain (this is very important. You have to match the level on the pedal to the gain on your amp so that when you switch from distortion to clean you won't disappear) and then you just start playing! Make sure and do not leave the input jack in because the battery will run down. I recommend getting the power supply since it lets you play for longer and there is a very slight difference in sound. The manual is straight forward but you don't really need it. It is really easy to get a good sound from it. // 10

Sound: This pedal just sounds great, that is if you know how to use the tone settings. I receommend not using a scooped by turning low and high to max and putting very little mid. This sound great when you're by yourself playing but when other instrument (even other guitars) are introduced you can barely make out what you are playing. My setup is a Robson Strat, factory amp (10 watt), factory pickups (single coil) and the DigiTech Death Metal pedal. I also play am ESP Kirk Hammett signature. If you are using a single coil guitar don't only use one pickup. Use two at once. If you just use the single brige Pick-up for example you will hear a constant buzzing sound so use the brigde pickup and the middle pickup simultaneously. It's sounds great when playing Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, Children Of Bodom, A7X and bands like that and also Black Sabbath and Nirvana. The distortion is amazing. Everything sounds crisp if you are muting properly. I do not recommend a beginner using this pedal as a poor technique will make horrible noises. To lessen the distortion simply use the volume control on your guitar. You get 4 different tone settings with the pedal. My favourite of these is the rectifier. The 3 band EQ allows for much experientation to find your own sound. If you are into metal then I highly recommend this pedal. Even if you're into styles like Led Zeppelin it works. This distortion is perfect for lead playing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a tank. I dropped it on my aunt's tiled floor and it cracked the tile and it's still workin like new. The casing is metal and really tough. I would defintely use this during a gig. The battery only lasts a week or two if you play everyday, that is, it won't die completely but the drop in the distortion is noticeable. However is will last through a gig without problems. Get the power supply. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal. Not much death metal but this pedal works well for anything metal. People have told me that they think that I use too much distortion when playing to which I reply "Well I think you use too little." I'll admit the Metal Master pedal is probably a little better than this one but it cost more and you won't get this kinda distortion anywhere else. Easy to use, great sound, very reliable, what more can you ask for? I will definitely buy it again if it were lost of stolen. I'm planning to add a multi-effect pedal to my setup and I'm anxious to see how it sounds in combination with the Death Metal pedal. I love the distortion on a pedal. I don't like when guitarists pile on effect onto more effect. I like when metal sounds raw with just distortion. That's why the first pdeal I bought was a simple distortion pdeal unlike my friends who bought multi-effect pedals. This is a great buy for any heavy metal guitarist. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: ctdguyiam, on june 11, 2007

Ease of Use: Pretty basic. I used my friend's pedal because I just have an acoustic guitar. It's awesome though. I don't know much about it. I just turned the knobs to different levels and experimented with it. When I got to where I wanted it to be, I'd just start playing, kick the Switch and turn on the distortion. My friend has a couple of pedals but iw ould have to say that it is his coolest, best, heaviest, etc. etc. // 8

Sound: We used a Paul Stanley guitar. I'm not sure exactly what kind. We used a little amp. I think it was like 8x8 or something. It was a Kustom amp. It always sounded great no matter what setting he changed it to. He messed around with the pedal, amp and guitar and put them on different settings. It always sounded great. I'm not sure if we could get the sound of some great artists out of it. We basicly just made up some patterns using hammer-ons and pull-offs and slides. Later on, he did something to it while we were on the phone. He played the solo from one of Ozzy's songs-Gets Me Through. So I'm sure that if you know what you're doing you can make anything work, I guess. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes I could depend on it. It's reliable. I would use it anytime, anywhere. Though I wouldn't use only it to play for people. I mean, I like different effects and sometimes even no effects. SO I'd always have something else for backup. Durability-wise, well it is durable. We accidently droped it down a 10 foot plus hill on asphault while skating to his house. If that's not durable I don't know what is. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, of the distortion pedals I've heard, it's the best for me. Some are just too soft. I need something that can do it heavy, but can also tone down a little bit. It's just so great. I'm getting a Fender Strat in July and this is what I'm buying to go with it. Johnathan(my friend Who owns it) taught me a little riff he made up by accident before he got the pedal. He was just bored and playing around. I've tried that riff clean on both an electric and acoustic guitar. I've tried it with an amp's distortion and other pedals. But this makes it work. Once you've experienced it, you get really attached to it really fast. // 9

Death Metal Reviewed by: EpiExplorer, on february 13, 2009

Ease of Use: Simple enough to use, 4 knobs for great versitality and for finding the tone for you, just press down on it to let the haze flow. It might become a pain when put through an amp with pre-made settings like a Line 6 Spider II (clean, rock, metal, insane and whatnot) because it messes around with the sound and makes a humming noise. But it's generally as easy as pie (and pie is easy, apprently). // 8

Sound: I'm using it with an Epiphone Explorer (gothic version) with an EMG 85 and an 81 played through some 20 year old Marshall I bought from a jamaican guy. Sounds crunchy, the good crunchy, good crunchy like cereal. It takes over the main sound of the guitar, but the EMGs make it a different tone to other guitars. the sounds great, to use it clean you can just adjust the settings on your amp (make sure to turn the gain on your amp to 0 and/or Switch to a clean setting, otherwise it'll sound like garbage and when using low tunings, sound a bit like a grumbling van engine). With enough fiddling you can create the same sound as Slayer did with the Reign In Blood album. a friend ran it through the same amp on a Jackson, Played the entirity of Raining blood to utter perfection, sounding exactly like the recording (another guy was on the drums too, also playing flawlessly). it's really not hard to find good sounds with this. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Being made of metal, it's harder than anything, but gets scratched still. I'd probably never need backup unless I threw it away for whatever reason. The only real fault is in the batteries, and if you're careless enough to leave the cable into the jack, lose their power quickley, like active pickups. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything, literally anything, that sounds great to me. And for the most part, it can't get any better. You can even sound like the sort of layered guitar sound that Jim Root made on Slipknots self titled album. Or you can make (as mentioned) a sound similar or the same as Reign In Blood. it's great for any metal, perhaps not so much Iron Maiden or Judas Priest. What I love is well, It as itself, the idea, name, and the actual pedal (enter laughing smiley) and there isnt really anything I don't like, apart from the faffing around with the amp settings and such. I wouldn't really compare it to anything because I haven't tried much else, but this'll do me for now. // 9

Death Metal Reviewed by: TuxFriend, on march 05, 2010

Price paid: € 25

Purchased from: Huuto.net

Ease of Use: I got my "Death Metal" from an internet auction for a cheap price, so I thought I give it a try. I'm usually using my Boss MT-2. The pedal is very easy to use and the manual explains the simple controls, in case any of them were unclear to you (should not be, if you ever owned a distortion pedal). It is easy to get a good sound of it, but only within the limitations of the pedal (read below). // 9

Sound: The pedal sounds good, but always a bit fuzzy and there is loads of feedback. It doesn't have as wide range of varying sounds as the MT-2. In general, the "Death Metal" gives you a heavy sound, but it suffers from the overall fuzzyness, which won't go away with any setting. The pedal is more like a "one trick pony", with only one kind of tone. There are no knobs to control gain and distortion. And btw, avoid the mixer output like the plague! It sounds horrible, use the amplifier output instead, even if you're plugging it straight to speakers (remember to keep volume at humane levels to avoid destroying your speakers). // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal seems very durable. It's metal, just like the MT-2 and I see no reason, why it couldn't be used for live playing. I just don't like its sound enough to actually use it on a gig. But the built quality is very solid indeed. Based on that, I could buy another product in the future from this previously unknown (to me) manufacturer. // 9

Overall Impression: I play many kinds of metal (death, doom, black, etc.) and I'd only use this pedal for some fuzzy death metal. It works for In Flames and similar, but in general it doesn't really give me the sound of any of the bands I listen to. I got it because it was very cheap and I wanted to test it with my guitars. If my DigiTech Death Metal was stolen or lost, I wouldn't get it again. I'd stick with my Boss distortion pedals, which have more controls and give a better sound. I like how the pedal is built, very strong and good design, but the sound is average. I'd recommend to get the MT-2 or some other Boss distortion pedal instead. // 8

Death Metal Reviewed by: Crazed Shredder, on april 01, 2010

Ease of Use: The pedal offers plenty of control over sound with the three band EQ. If you already know how to get a good metal sound you should not have any problems. If you don't know how DigiTech also provides a pamphlet with some basic tones you can achieve with the EQ. The only bad thing is it lacks a gain control, although you can still adjust the amount of distortion with your guitars volume control. // 8

Sound: The pedal sounds extremely heavy. It is basically a giant wall of distortion. The sound is somewhat similar to that of a Mesa Dual Rectifier with the gain turned all the way up. The sound is perfect for songs within the range of The Thing That Should Not Be (Metallica)to Hammer Smashed Face(Cannibal Corpse). Without a noise gate the pedal is very noisy but what can you expect from such a high gain pedal? // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have not played gigs with the pedal but from what I can tell it seems to be built tough. I have had it for several years and it has not had any problems unlike some of my other (newer) pedals I have had. If I was going to tour I would definitely use this pedal without any worries. // 9

Overall Impression: The pedal is perfect for metal musicians on a budget that want sound as heavy as can be. Combined with a pedal of less gain you will have a very versatile sound if you get this pedal. I would definitely recommend you the pedal if you are looking for an extreme metal sound. // 8

Death Metal Reviewed by: Tallicaman93, on may 04, 2012

Purchased from: Thomanns

Ease of Use: This pedal is so simple to use its unreal. It doesn't even have a gain knob. It has a knob for each frequency range: low, mid and high. It has a output level knob. The manual is just as simple. To be honest if you need a manual to work this pedal then its obvious that you're a complete idiot! // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with all of my guitars its just that good. Obviously its going to be noisy as the gain is insane. However the buzz differs between different guitars as is to be expected. The only time the sound ever cuts out on me is when I turn it off. If I turn the gain on my amp down(this is on the clean setting I wouldnt dare use it on distortion channel) I can get a really good Trivium tone which is great as they play a big part in the way I play. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a solid piece of kit. Seriously, be careful around the bedroom in just socks. I have performed live with it and its never let me down but I must stress never gig without a backup. I would take other distortion pedals live because the death metal will do one thing and one thing only: Serious massive epic gain! and not every song needs that much gain. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're a heavy metal guitarist you Need this pedal in your armory. Even though its called the Death Metal its capable of so much more. If this pedal was stolen I would buy another one within the hour I just cant live without it. I love how aggressive it can be and yet how beautiful it can sound with the neck pickup and tone turned down slightly on the guitar. I also have a DigiTech HotHead distortion pedal and the death metal rips it apart. The only thing I wish it came with is a 9volt adapter as its so easy to forget about it and leave the leads plugged in only to come back a day later and find the battery is dead. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: bastards, on september 27, 2012

Ease of Use: Not too difficult to get a decent sound. Through a Vintage Marshall cab the bass can be extremely overwhelming, but some adjustments through the PA can make up for it. Didn't receive any manual or anything like that, one of my friends broke a string and felt bad so he gave it to me. Enough bass, enough scoop, and a bit of treble and its good to go. If you crank everything to 10 you literally have to stand in another room. // 7

Sound: Insane amounts of gain. Lots of compression through the unit which bugs me, I have to put a TS-9 after to uncompress and really get the Marshall to sound angry. Mine has a glitch where I kick it on and the unit mutes, and swells to full volume after a couple of seconds. Not a detrimental effect if used sparingly, but still annoying when trying to switch between clean parts and whatnot. I use a custom built Pine Telecaster with a Seymour Duncan Lil' 59 and it's paired up with a TS-9 and Dunlop 535Q. As I said before, the bass is pretty overwhelming but this pedal is extreme and will not hesitate to mimic the sound of a paraplegic penguin in a KFC processing plant. If the unit was new I would give it a higher score. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal to give me a tight angry distortion. Through cheaper amps it's brittle, but through a Marshall it's sound is powerful, just really compressed. The thing is built like a tank, the knobs seem brittle but probably the last thing I'm worried about breaking in the jam basement. Used this pedal at several house parties and it never fails, except for the obnoxious volume swell. I'd probably have to buy a new unit if I used it live. // 8

Overall Impression: I play lots of metal, but range in everything. Obviously, the name of the pedal speaks for itself. I can and will use this pedal to rip some nasty blues leads, but not in a high class tux club. The metal is great for metal. I play mostly originals but cover Lamb Of God, Pantera, old school Metallica, and some random others. Since before getting this I only had a TS-9 cranked up, this pedal has helped free up a lot of sonic space in my sound, letting me dial back the TS-9 for a variety of sounds, and the boost of the 535Q can simply Drive everyone out of the house at 3 AM. If I had this stolen from me, they'd bloody hell better return it, the pedal is a tank and they'd probably get beaten with it. This pedal also sounds good through my Jackson Rhodes w/ FR, Peavey Raptor w/ Floyd, and Ibanez ARX350, but through the Vintage Marshall cab is just an Overdrive machine, except for the annoying compression. Only thing I wish this pedal had was a groupie switch. // 8

Death Metal Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on january 31, 2005

Purchased from: Rhapsody Music

Ease of Use: This is a pretty easy pedal to work with. Four knobs; level, low, mid, and high are all you have to worry about. Simple even for a beginner. The manual tells you all about DigiTech and what all of their pedals do (very handy, because I loved this pedal so much I might want to get another DigiTech one). It also tells you some sound presets you can get out of them, which is really convenient if you don't want to spend a half hour trying to get the right sound and you just want to get started with something. // 10

Sound: I've listened to this pedal over the internet, and I've tried it on a lot of different guitars on a lot of different amps. And I have to tell you, it sounds 100% great on all of them. I don't think I've ever heard such a great distortion before. It's like a war going on inside the amp, and that's what you want. There is one little bit of a negative: no matter what you set the knobs to, you pretty much get the same sound. It's only a little bit of a negative, because I'm addicted to the sound and wouldn't want anything else. I'm a huge metalhead, so I play a lot of metal. It sounds great, and this pedal is exactly what I need. I can pull of Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, and Sabbath perfectly. Also, this pedal gives you a sound that's about as close to Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" intro as you can get. It sounds so much the same. This pedal is perfect for metal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The battery lasts quite a while in this thing. It's a tough little puppy, and it's quite a durable little pedal. I haven't, however, had the balls to test its ultimate durability and drop it yet, but I'm convinced enough already that it's pretty durable. I would use this pedal during a gig without a backup, but I'd probably wuss out and bring one just in case. But I'm sure it would last during a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this pedal is a gift from god to headbangers. I don't know what it is, but you sound better playing with this pedal. Everything about it makes you palm mutes sound great, your solos sound awesome, and your rhythms sound freaking sweet. I love this pedal, and I can't imagine playing without it. I've always liked Digi-Tech, but after getting this pedal, they're all I want now. Screw Boss. I want a damn DigiTech. Simply put, you can never get enough distortion, but with this pedal, you're going to get as close to enough distortion as you're ever going to get. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: Crossley92*, on june 20, 2005

Ease of Use: I found that this stompbox was awesome, it rips the sound right out of your amp, changing the sound of the output distortion is like any other stompbox, its so simple and easy to use, a beginner can work out how to use it fine. // 10

Sound: I play guitar, and bass, with an Ibanez IBZ10B 10watt guitar Amp, it sounds great on a guitar, and even on bass. Unfortunately, sometimes the sound can be to heavy for my liking, and can blast the noise out to loud, and its hard to get the sound out when your playing with the volume, so the distortion feels to weak. But, the great advantage is that it has no gain knob and DigiTech have made it so it automatically is set to 11 so you get the strongest distortion you might get, which is wicked for playing metal which is what it was designed for anyway. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it nicely, it doesn't sleep round on the floor, and stays put because its weight pulls it down to stick on the floor, and it also as a rubber base so it wont slip around any service which is cool. Unfortunately, my battery didn't last long in it, but with my stupidity I found that most guitarists use a power supply instead of a battery, which I have started using now and works fine. But if you want to take it round to your mates without a power-supply bring a spare battery. // 6

Overall Impression: I usually play punk and normal rock anthems, but I was advised to get this because I was looking for a distortion, but I was looking for a simple distortion instead of one of theres "Get your ear plug's out, I'm gonna add this" approach to things, And I which I had asked for a simple distortion instead of this extreme sound, because it is My first stompbox, which is surprising because I've been playing for along time now, more than 6 years, and I wish I had found out about stompboxes. If your a metal guitarist thats looking for that sound that'll annoy your neighbor's, drive your wife mad, and even make the crowd go mad, then buy this. It is awesome, really its a really good metal sound, you can play out some really cool solos. The other good thing about it is that its cheaper than most stompboxes, but can get expensive to replace. Furthermore, you cant break it so easily, it its a strong pedal on it with the settings way out of the way, its also pretty easy to carry round because its small, but not so lite. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2005

Ease of Use: This pedal is so easy to use. I got it kind of expensive, but I could care less now because it is so satisfying, all you do is "stomp it" after making your settings fitting for you. I didn't even need the manual it's so easy to use. // 10

Sound: I use a Behringer Blue Devil GX112 60 watt amp with a Esteban electric guitar and it has great metal distortion obviously. It plays great with tight solos. I love this pedal's sound so much that I even bought my friend one! Yes I bought my friend this pedal because I love it so much! The effects on it always sound great except for when I'm recording, but then I can just change the settings. It's good for playing Van Halen songs, and lots of ancient hair metal bands, but don't try to play your Lynyrd Skynyrd "Free Bird" on it because it definitely isn't fitting! This pedal rocks on! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is so dependable with a power supply but without a power supply it really sucks the juice out of batteries. So keep a spare because it is a juice sucker! I would use it on a gig without a backup. And I do! It rocks! // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and punk rock, it's a perfect match! I've been playing for 2 years and I own a Behringer FX112V Footswitch for my amp and this petal just totally rocks. If I lost it, I'd buy it again! The same exact one! I hate not being about to record with it without changing the settings though but I love the sound! The distortion is by far the best on this pedal. I compare it to nothing else. But I've got to say, DigiTech does make some nice pedals. I wish it had a more mild distortion some time but it's metal. Metal's never mild! Rock on, DigiTech Death Metal pedal! // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: KramerGuitars07, on june 22, 2005

Ease of Use: Incredibly easy to use. There is no "gain" knob and all the EQ settings are very easy to tweak. It is very self-explainable. There is no need for a manual, unless you are a dumbass like the guys at the guitar shop who plugged the input into the output jack. // 10

Sound: This is a must have pedal for metalheads like me. I love my Behringer V-Ampire modeling head, but this pedal is still in use compared to all the distortion sims on my amp. It will give you a beefy palm muted tone, and you can scoop out the mids without loosing much clarity on your leads. The distortion is killer, but is pretty much only good for metal (no complaints by me). You won't be playing Eric Clapton or the Beatles with this pedal. You can easily get tones from Children Of Bodom to Shadows Fall with the right adjustments. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This stompbox is more protected and heavily armored than a tank. It's definitely gig worthy, and built to destroy. My girlfriend threw it out of the second story window, and lets just say, its still around, but she's not. If you gig with it, use an AC adapter to power it, it eats batteries like I do women. // 10

Overall Impression: If this were stolen, I would definitely buy it again, but only after finding the thief, cutting their balls off, and ripping their intestines out. Compared to the Boss Metal Zone and DS-2 Distortion Stomp Boxes, this is the best one I've played yet. The Uber Distortion (it's got a different name, I know) is by far better than this, so if you have the cash, fork it out for that. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: sonictoothache, on august 24, 2005

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Ease of Use: This pedal piss-easy to use. Nothing to it. Four knobs and that's it! It comes with a manual, which tells you the settings to use. // 10

Sound: My setup consitst of a Marshall 30w and an Ibanez Artcore and a cheap Les Paul by Hohner guitars. The reason I got this pedal in the first place is because the distorion on my Marshall is absolute crap. This pedal takes care of that problem. It's great for single-note riffs to shredding. Knifes Edge distortion is especially useful if you wanna do the whole double bass drum thrash stuff (like Metallica's stuff). To the other people complaining about the sound: It's a f--king metal pedal. If you don't like it don't buy it. But it you're unhappy with its distortion and want to play more of chords rather than single note riffs, then get a DigiTech Compressor/Sustainer (beats the hell out of the Boss Compressor) to balance out the sound. It's also good with a Cryababy, which gives that treble. That combination for sure gives you the sound for Zeppelin's 'Dazed And Confused' and 'Heartbreaker' solos. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's built like a brick, need I say more? I've had it for a month now and there is no scrathes or cracks. An adapter would be good for it, as the batteries get eaten up fast, but if you gotta gig you would not need a backup. This thing hasn't failed me yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of styles of music. This is a good match for one of those styles. It's specifically designed for metal and it delivers on that promise. I've been playing for about 6 years and I own, as I've mentioned before, a DigiTech Compressor/Sustainer and a Crybaby wah. I also own a Zoom GFX-707 and with the deadly combination of the crap distorion on my Marshall I almost gave up playing lead. That is why I got this pedal. Before I bought this pedal I checked out some Boss distorion and they didn't make much of an impression on me. I went to the DigiTech website and heard some samples of this pedal and that sealed it for me. The DigiTech had that staccato for thrash that was lacking in the Zoom and Boss distortions. If it was stolen I'd probably kill the guy who stole it steal his money and buy this pedal again and maybe the DigiTech Factory Distorion pedal. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2005

Purchased from: 2nd hand from internet

Ease of Use: It's an easy set up with just a few knobs and so easy to figure out! I did get a manual with it, but there's actually no need reading it, for it speaks for itself (maybe the presets put in te manual are a bit handy though). // 8

Sound: I am using it through my 100watt Randall amplifier, and it sounds sublime! I can get nice grungy sounds out of it for Nirvana kinda sounds, but if I throw a lot of dist on it I can get my real passion going on Death Metal! In other words, a very big variety in sounds. Oh yeah, full chords sound a bit f--d up (not that I use them anyway). // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's very sturdy, it stays foot and I don't think anyone could kick it hard enough to destroy it. I would certainly use it on a gig without a backup, something drastically would have to happen (like the building blowing up) to get this baby down. // 8

Overall Impression: I mainly play lots of metal styles (metalcore, Death Metal etc.) but I play a lot of other types too, it fits them all! I've been playing for 1,5 years now, and I'm really loving the pedal, it's the best pedal I've had in that time (and I've had Boss pedals too). If it were to be stolen, I would track the thieve down and ritualy slaughter him. I would sure get a new one. I really love the dist tone on this baby, it's unlike nething u've heard if ure a metalhead. I've had 2 other Boss dist pedals, but they're not as good as this one. Overall impression: the best metalhead pedal out there right now. // 9

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2006

Purchased from: Local Music shop

Ease of Use: It's easy as 1, 2, 3! The pedal have a level, low, mid and high knob so you can pretty much control how it sounds. For more details just look in the manual it's impossible to not get it. A retarted monkey could do it. // 10

Sound: Epiphone Les Paul, Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner, DigiTech Death Metal, Boss NS-2, Kustom KGA30. You just have to fuck around with the settings to decide what you want but hey every distortion pedal makes feedback. I'm buying a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppresor to eliminate all of the sounds you don't need when playing. The effects are super great! I play from Lamb Of God, Metallica, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold to Pink Floyd and Dream Theater and it sounds awesome! I have built-in chorus in my amplifier and it sounds great with it, too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: When I die this pedal will still exist for sure. It's heavy and solid like cement so it doesn't break and right now it's the only disortion pedal that I have so at a gig I'll just have this on but I'm sure the pedal wouldn't fail or anything. // 10

Overall Impression: I play some death metal/hard rock to progressive and oldies like Zeppelin and stuff and this pedal delivers it all believe me. I've been playing for almost 2 years and I had it for all the time and it never gave up on me (even thought you have to change the battery every 3-4 weeks). If it were stolen or lost I would maybe buy the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone instead because that's the big daddy of distortion pedal. I love everything about this pedal it gives such a kick ass sound. I maybe wish I had the Boss MT-2 because I heard it after I bought the Death Metal and everyone said it sounded so unbelievable but I saw at my local guitar store that they sold it for 170 $ Can. so instead I bought the Death Metal. I'm in a band and the band agree this pedal sounds so awesome when we practice and stuff. // 9

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 21, 2006

Ease of Use: Come on, three tone controls, low mid and high, plus the level. There's no need to get a degree with this stompbox, so is easy enough to create the right tone you want. Just rememeber to ajust the amount of distortion with your guitars volume control, which is somthing I don't rememeber them saying in the manual, but is really common knowledge. // 9

Sound: I use a range of guitars, at the moment, I've got an Ibanez (don't rememeber what one, but it's a Les Paul copy, and it's sick), plus I also own both a Squier Strat and Telecaster all going through this pedal and a Crybaby way into a Marshall MG100DFX. Basically, this pedal is amazing for extreme forms of metal. I play a lot of early Cradle Of Filth stuff, which I can replicate really well, but you can accuratly create a lot of other bands in quite a wide reach, such as Metallica and Slayer for older bands, through to Fear Factory, The Haunted, and does a good job for bands using less extreme forms of distortion. If this is the case it will sound a bit muddier, but works well still. Remember, this stompbox has a huge amount of bass onboard, so unless you play really old thrash, I wouldn't let the bass go below 3/4. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The only things to survive a meteor hitting earth are cochroaches, germs and this pedal! I've dropped it countless times, not a problem, not that there should be seen as its built like a tank! If using a battery supply at home, rememeber to remove your lead from the guitar into the pedal when not playing, even when the distortion is off, because otherwise the pedal is still active. It's worth getting the AC adaptor for sure. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, I've been playing for 3 and a half years, and I play mostly black/death metal, but also play blues and prog every now and then, but this pedal does about 80% of my playing, other then that, the onboard distortion on my amp does the job perfectly. I also have a crybaby, which is perfect if you set it around 2/3's open for tremolo picking, so long as you dont use too much treble, otherwise it gets a bit brittle sounding. The best thing about this pedal is probably the low end of it. I was looking at the Boss Metal Zone and even the denelectro black paisley, but I like playing with a lot of bass when recording stuff, and this is perfect. The only thing I dont like about it is probably that if you leave it on, feeding back, it will squeil like a MF if your guitar isnt that great. Also I personally think the "Death Metal" writing is a bit tacky, so I got a magic marker and drew over it, and now it looks a lot better! // 9

Death Metal Reviewed by: Hexodrome, on january 26, 2006

Purchased from: Reidys

Ease of Use: This is beyond doubt the best pedal I have ever purchased. I decided to buy it when the Overdrive function broke on my amp and theres not a day I regret it. The range of sound is so extreme that you can find a sound that suits you. When I bought this pedal I spent 10 minutes getting the best sound I could. I bought I without a manual so I got a 10 discount. // 8

Sound: The sound is easy to change between a ripping solo effect called knife edge to a more bassy riff effect. I have mine set at 5 on each and 9 for treble and it gives an amazing sound and it screams and wails when it comes to soloing. I use it with my Squier Showmaster (I'm a student) and a Vox AD30FX and it sounds ace. What's unique about this pedal is that all the dials go up to eleven like spinal tap, but really this is just for show as I can't see the point of it. The pedal always sounds excellent its got a spine tingling effect that I have it set on. I create my original sound but its in between Velvet Revolver and Sex Pistols. The entire pedal rocks out the best distorsion pedal bar The Weapon. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Depend on it, Its built like a tank like other digitechs. I have never managed a dent or break since it was bought. It has a few scuffs and scratches but thats all cosmetic. The downside is that removing the battery becomes exremely difficult without the help of a pen or a key. I use it currently with another set of pedals so a backup isn't nessecary but I would use it without backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Wierd that I don't actually play any Death Metal. I play a harder sort of rock like Queens of the stone age ore Velvet Revolver. It can handle most settings of distortion apart from soft. I own a Dunlop Crybaby and a DigiTech Phaser and this is the best pedal for playing a song all the way through without turning the pedal off. If it was stolen I would buy it again without doubt. The best bit of the pedal is the sound, an to be honest thats all that counts. The worst part is the plastic dials but that's a very small problem. I compared it to my friends Bad Monkey and Pastrami Overdrive and mine beats them to the ground, far superior. I wish it had a tube Overdrive but that's all reletive right. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: X_Tears_X, on february 18, 2006

Ease of Use: This is by far the most deadliest of distortion pedals. What DigiTech did on this pedal was set the gain to 11 and ripped out the button. and all you can do is mess with how loud it is (level) and the 3 EQ band curver (high-mid-low) It is easy to use. Just a simple tap of the foot switch and play. The manual for it was basically DigiTech's presets for most of their pedals. // 10

Sound: I am using my Yamaha EG-112 through the Death Metal Distortion pedal through my Crate amp on clean tone. I went through the presets and have chosen the "Death Scoop" but with a tweek. The bass is supposed to be on 6 I think, and I set it on 10 so that during the fast heavy parts it is heavier. With pitch harmonics this pedal helps them sound creepy. Like on some Death Metal songs you hear that creepy pitch harmonic, that is what it sounds like. With the "Death Scoop" it can kinda resemble damn-near every Death Metal band. They only thing you need to do is turn down the high. If you want heavy distortion, this is your pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I use this as my distortion at my house as well as at gigs. The reason I use it at my house is because the distortion on my amp is A. weak and B. Not currently working right now. The only problem with it is, it takes 9 volt batteries and when you play it constantly for 3 days the battery dies. But that can easily be remedied by getting the plug in. // 10

Overall Impression: If you play any variation of metal, this is your pedal. If this were stolen I would be so pissed but I would get it again. Plus it's cheap 30 bucks for a pedal that should be $75+. I am really proud of DigiTech for creating such a monster. Thanks DigiTech. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: FakePlasticMan, on february 22, 2006

Purchased from: Friend

Ease of Use: This is quite the simple pedal, no need to worry about amount of distortion, you're already cranked to 11 or so. Theres a nice EQ for low, mid, and high, so you can get alot of tones. // 10

Sound: I currently use a humbucking Squier Stratocaster with a 15 watt Crate for practice and a 200 watt Fender for rehersal/gigging. The pedal has an extremely powerful sound, in fact, I have to make sure the level on the pedal is down far enough so it doesn't blow out my crate. You can get anything from a low wall of drone to blistering highs and everything in between. As mentioned before, this pedal is unique, alowing you to forge your own sound, rather than mimicking other artists. Only drawback I can find is the pedal is a tad noisy, but this is expected with such a powerful sound, not so much to hinder your overall sound anyways though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like all DigiTech pedals, this one is built like a tank. I would absolutely gig with it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all forms of metal, alternative, Grunge, punk, jazz, hard rock, soft rock, not really inbetween rock, post rock, noise. I've been playing for about three years, self teaching, and I've owned this for about a month. It matches my style perfectly, where sound changes from clean to intense distortion and back. If it were stolen, I would die. Only regret is that I didnt get a power supply, I've found digitechs eat up batteries like chuck norris eats kids. Sorry, bad analogy. I'm done. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: Kopperhead91, on february 27, 2006

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Ease of Use: This thing is great I can get sounds out of it that arent even heavy metal. I can get a Rage Against The Machine tone out of it with the proper configuring. I can do anything with this pedal I can go from Megadeth's Symphony Of Destruction to Laid To Rest to any Korn song I want. This sound is very easy to use. The only problem is that if you turn the Low and high up to much you get a high pitch screech when you don't play. Otherwise it comes with a easy to use manual that has a bunch of pre set tones. // 9

Sound: I use this with 2 different guitars I use it with a Les Paul and an Ibanez Intercepter, and both sound great. Like I said earlier I can get any tone I want out of this: Death Metal, classic metal, nu-metal, anything. It's noisy but that's because this is a tone of distortion. The effects are always great but like I said its just when you turn up the high and low too much. It's just a great pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is made with a dicast metal body that doesnt slide around onstage. I would use this in a heartbeat without any back-up. This pedal is very durable and I can depend on it at any time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal I sometimes play Death Metal but I don't really like it at all. I usually play nu-metal like Korn and Mudvayne (I don't care if I categorize them so sue me). I have been playing for a year but I got ahead with this pedal. I own 3 other pedals that I use this with I own a Boss Metal Zone, Boss Phase Shifter, and a DigiTech RP-80. This is great I love how versitile this thing has. I just hate the screech when you turn it up. Actually I chose if over the metal master because I didn't have 75 bucks to penny up but I'm glad I got this one. If this was stolen I would have to go and buy a new one 'cause I use this on 2 of my bands best songs. Try it out at guitar center or sam ash it's a great peice of equipment. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: Edwardthegreat5, on may 03, 2006

Purchased from: Cassell's Music

Ease of Use: It is easy to get a good sound out of it for it's genre, especially when you scoop the mids or turn the highs up. // 9

Sound: I use this with a Vox Valvetronix and an Agile Les Paul. It's a good setup and a good pedal, if you're playing Death Metal. This is not too noisy, and the effects are pretty much alright, but only if you play Death Metal. This gives you a good sound, if you play death metal, it sounds good when you scoop the mids or turn the mids up to about 7 and turn the Highs to about 8, once again it's only good for heavier types of music, don't try to play Led Zeppelin on it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's a pretty dependable pedal and it sure is reliable. It drains the battery like there's no tommorow, but you can count on it if it's plugged in. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said before, it's only really good for Death Metal and other heavier types of music. If you wan't something a little more versatile, I recommend the metal master. If it were lost or stolen, I wouldn't buy another one because I have other and better pedals, and I pretty much am not a big fan of Death Metal or any other types of Heavy Music. I don't like the fact that it has no gain control, but I guess some people would like all-out gain. This is overall a good pedal, but only for death-metal, no other genre, that's probably why I didn't like it too much, I only really use this when playing heavier styles like stuff that requires scooping the mids. // 7

Death Metal Reviewed by: Damagepln6, on may 04, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is a classic stompbox, so just plug in and go! Setup is easy because all you have to do is dial in your EQ. The manual is easy to follow and even offers some dail setup ideas for first-timers. // 10

Sound: I wield an Ibanez RG370DX(checkout my review for it). I run that into my Death Metal pedal and a Dunlop Crybaby wah. It sounds so awesome. There is some feedback when your not strumming, but not enough to discourage playing, the sound can be made very raw and gritty for those blistering solos, or just massive, crushing tone for the low chord riffin'. one draw back is that as with most stompboxes, as the battery dies so does the sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As far as durability, this sucker is a tank. I have a stupid habit of tripping over this thing and its steel casing remains unscratched. the jacks are just as strong so the inner hardward is virtually indestructable. As far as reliability goes, if I were on stage I'd use the safety of an AC adapter as opposed to a battery only because if you're playing for hours straight trhe battery runs low enough to diminish your sound, but I don't play on stage so for me a battery works fine. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm a metal player and this is the definitive metal player pedal. I've had one for 2 years and I love how well it sounds and how well it works with my other pedals. Other than the occasional power problem, I accept nothing less than this pedal. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: hendrix117, on june 05, 2006

Purchased from: Music Store

Ease of Use: The DigiTech Death Metal foot pedal is extremely easy to use. all you need is: 2 cords, an electic/electric-acoustic guitar, and an amp. You just plug the guitar into the input area, and the amp into the amp area. This product is so easy, it dousn't need a manual, but it came with one anyways. // 10

Sound: I currently am using the Death Metal foot pedal with my Hondo II electric guitar, and my Honeytones pocket amp. It can be very noisy (in a good way) but only if I want it to be. The sound is great unless the battery is low. I can get the sounds of: Seether, Metallica, Pantera, Acid Bath, and Black Sabbath. I haven't tried any other bands yet. The distortion on this foot pedal is amazing. I love it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This foot pedal is entirely reliable. I can depend on it more than my amp. If I didn't have a backup, I would still use it on a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal or hard rock on my guitar, and so far, my foot pedal has not failed me. I currently have been playing for about a year now, and if I could ask a question before buying this foot pedal it would be: How much? If this foot pedal were stolen or lost, I first would call the police, and if they couldn't find it, I would just buy a new one. If I were to wish it had one thing that it do have, it would be another input slot. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: kaylium-666, on june 27, 2006

Purchased from: music ground leeds

Ease of Use: This pedal is in one word awesome. I tried it out in the shop and set it to the death scoop setting, put less high end on it and maxed the low end out and put it on about a quarter volume when I got it home and the sound was incredible. The manual is very easy to use but believe me when I say you just dont need it, DigiTech pedals are all I will ever use I used to use Boss and line6 then got DigiTech pedals and never looked back. // 10

Sound: I use the pedal with a Marshall 8100 100 watt valvestate head and a Marshall 4 x 12 cabinet, I have 2 guitars, a BC Rich NJ Beast with Duncan Invader and Duncan 59' and a Dean Razorback, also with Duncan Invader. The pedal is designed to just blare out noise but it sounds great for general chugging or even solo work and chords, no matter what setting you use with the pedal the sound always cuts through. All the effects are great, you can get like, ten different distortions from it and theyre all brilliant. I have it set as heavy and loud as possible, since I play metal and tune on drop C. With the settings use I liken the sound to that of Hatebreed, Soulfly, Sepultura, Caliban, all the meaty bands with powerful guitar sound. I couldn't possibly match or better this pedal. All the distortions are good and useful, I've had pedals before where I'd use 2 of 5 settings but on this one I've used every last one of them and theyre all brilliant. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely dpend on this pedal. It gives me the exact sound I want and never ever lets me down. I love how well made it is and its nice and heavy so it doesn't skid around on stage, and the rubber pad on the pedal means your foot never slips off and the knobs/controls are well placed so you dont accidentally hit them with your foot and knock something off setting. I don't need a backup to this pedal, I just keep a spare square battery around in case mine runs out. I used to think my amps own distortion was meaty as hell, but it's nothing compared to this. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, and I couldn't possibly wish for, or indeed find a better pedal. I use it with a DigiTech main squeeze pedal and a screamin' blues pedal. I also own a Bad Monkey and hot head pedal also, chain 'em up and I'm away playing so loud that I'm sure its causing major structural damage to my house! If it were lost or stolen I'd go straight to the shop and buy another, I can't play without it now its the embodiment of my sound I'm lost without it, its the first distortion pedal I've heard that doesnt sound tinny. I love its raw power, I just can't get that kind of power anywhere else and it really has exceeded all my expectations. It can make the cheapest guitar sound meaty as hell, and as for meaty guitars you have to hear it to believe it. I used to have a Boss distortion pedal, and thought it was quite good but I just wanted chunky distortion, so I went to the guitar shop and said I want the heaviest distortion pedal you have, and he just put the death meal in my hand and went "it doesn't get much better than this" and my god he was right. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 07, 2006

Purchased from: Italmelody

Ease of Use: This is a very simple-to-use 3-knob distortion pedal and even easier to get great tones out of. If you're a (death) metal fan, you can even leave all the knobs on 0 (except the level of course) and see that it's still an awesome tone. Extremely simple to use, just turn the knobs and listen to the tones morph and never have to worry about the gain level (since it's always maxed out). And of course, the manual is practically worthless simply because you can work the pedal very easily (although the suggestions in the manual are quite powerful tones as they are). // 10

Sound: Like most distorion units, this one is compatible with any piece of equipment. Boosting the level in conjunction with the high end will obviously give you a lot of unwanted noise, but the settings are all very tweakable. In short, the Death Metal is very clean considering the blistering amount of gain that it pumps out. If you're looking for probably the heaviest-sounding distortion pedal there is out there, you're most likely going to be satisfied with this one. Although it was obviously meant for rhythym-oriented playing, many users will be surprised to find out that it can be used for some very interesting-sounding lead and soloing tones (especially when used with a delay unit). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This unit is very dependable. It was built with a solid metal casing so that it can take a heck of a beating. Consequently, I'd feel very comfortable playing with one of these things on stage. Considering the durability of this unit, you probably won't ever need a backup. But considering the price, and the possibility of someone stealing it off of you, you can bet that a second (or third) unit would be well worth your while. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a full-on metal-head's dream, so anyone looking for a simple distortion or Overdrive pedal might be knocked out by the punch that the Death Metal delivers. Even classic metal players (such as Iron Maiden or Judas Priest etc) might frown upon the powerhouse that this pedal is. So just know that this is not a distortion for the faint of heart. One thing that surprised me was the impact that it has. When I was out looking for a new distortion pedal to add to my rig, I was contemplating all the big hitters in the stomp box world (such as Boss, Line 6 etc). But upon hearing this one (and asking for it by name) I was stunned and immediately purchased it. I've had it for a while and some of the sounds I can get out of it are still blowing me away! One thing's for sure, if it were lost or stolen, I'd replace it in a heartbeat. If Death Metal (or anything with extreme distortion) is your kind of playing, than this is for you. Don't even bother with the "Metal Zone!" Trust me, the only thing I wish about this pedal is that there aren't many more like it out there on the market! // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 24, 2006

Ease of Use: Extremely easy to use. Four basic EQ settings (volume, low, mid, high) so finding the particular sound you are looking for only requires a few minutes of tampering with it. // 9

Sound: My setup with the Death Metal pedal I use my Crate GX-1200H half stack and my LTD ESP F-50. It's got perfect sound, extemly smooth sustain and powerful distortion. My settings are usually the low turned up to max, the high turned up to max and mid around the middle. The effects are amazing on this pedal I can honestly say this is one of the best distortion pedals on the market and the price is great as well. The sounds of artists, none in particular, but I can play anything on it with a little tampering with the EQ and usually get great sound for bands like Metallica, Slayer, Lamb Of God etc. The distortion on the pedal is phenominal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can always depend on this pedal, deffinetly. I bring it to any gig or practice with my band and use it and home all the time as well, and if my guitar leaves the house I don't leave without this pedal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different styles such as classic rock and some Grunge but for this pedal I play hard rock/heavy metal/death metal. I've been playing for about a year and 6 or 7 months and I own the Crate halfstack I previously mentioned, and ESP F-50 and Ovation celeberty, a DigiTech RP-200, original cry baby wah pedal, DigiTech Grunge pedal, and a Boss compression sustainer. I didn't have to ask anything before buying it, a friend of mine had it, I played it once and I was hooked. If it was stolen or lost I would absolutly buy another one as soon as I could. I love the sustain and that distortion is unbeatable. I compared it to a few other distortion pedals like the Dr. Distorto pedal and a few others but none of them beat this one. I don't think this pedal needs any work at all its an amazing distortion pedal. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: pHaKe, on september 25, 2006

Ease of Use: This thing is about as simple as it is brilliant to use. Adjust your EQ and stomp the stompbox - it's as simple as that. A manual came with it, explaining what all of the dials/inputs meant, though if you seriously couldn't figure it out, maybe guitar isn't for you. // 10

Sound: I currently use this through my Schecter Hellraiser to my Roland Cube 60 amplifier (though I am planning on buying a new amp soon). It sounds great, pure distortion, much better then the amp distortion. It is noisy however, though a simple noise gate will take care of that. The distortion is always maxed out, so there's no need to worry about weak sound. No matter what you dial your EQ as, it's bound to sound sound deadly. I can easily get the sounds of Black Metal (Emperor) then Switch over to Metallica right back to Death Metal (At The Gates, Arch Enemy) then over to Slayer. Easily manipulated to produce almost the exact sound that almost any metal bands use. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The battery isn't that long on this, though with the AC adapter that's not a problem. I luckily had one from my previous pedal that I haden't used for a year or so, so this wasn't a problem. The AC adapter should be about 20 bucks though, not to much of a problem. I would definately gig without a backup, as long as I had my AC adapter. // 10

Overall Impression: I play any kind of metal, so this is perfect for me. I have been playing for roughly 2 years, and this outdoes all of my other gear distortion-wise 20:1. I wish I would have gotten this long before I did, it's a brilliant peice of gear. If it were stolen, I'd hunt down whoever stole it and beat them with a led pipe. That's how much I love this thing. I love every bit of this, it's almost as if, you can't make a bad sound out of it (which you really can't). I compared it to some other pedals (forget which ones) that were all way over 100 bucks, and this one (50 dollars) out shone them all by far. This is a must have for any metalhead out there, it's flawless. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: xSlayerBorgirx, on october 16, 2006

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: One word. Simple. A lil kid can use this and jam the hell out of his amp if he wanted. What I love about this pedal is that I don't have to mess with the low, mid, and high ranges on my amps to get a good tone, I can leave my amp alone, and mess with the pedal itself and get the sound I need. Manual is very understanding and to the point, in my opinion. You have any question about the pedal, it's in the manual for sure. // 10

Sound: I use a BC Rich KKV Signature, Ibanez SA series and RG series. Different guitars for different tones and styles. What's remarkable about this pedal, it gives you the death crunch you want and need with any guitar you use. Same with amps. I use an Ibanez 50 Watt Toneblaster and a small Peavey 15 watt. Great tone, out of any amp, big or small. I've never had a problem. There's no, or hardly any, feedback, which is a plus. I play to the likes of Killswitch Engage, Unearth, and Trivium, and this pedal has yet to let me down. It's awesome! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I put my guitar playing career on this pedal. I love it, and there is nothing like it. I would definately use this pedal at any gig without a backup. Only problem I have is that I use it way too much, so I need to have a good supply of back up batteries. Durablilty is very good. It's packed in a metal case, which is awesome. You can drop it from a building and it'd work perfectly fine without any fault. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 7 years now. My style has always been metal, and this pedal has never let me down. I've had a metal distortion pedal from Danelectro before this one. It worked fine, but really wasn't given me the tone I needed. I stopped by a local music shop, and found the Death Metal pedal and gave it a shot. The first strum, I was hooked. But since I was low on funds, couldnt buy it at the time. Then found it on eBay, and I couldn't pass it up. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if it were ever stolen. I would definately recommend this pedal for everyone. You would not be disappointed. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: metallica_death, on january 15, 2007

Ease of Use: The DigiTech ddm Death Metal pedal is a good choice and you can get a good sound easily from it if you go and look in the booklet that comes with it. The manual is very useful and contains useful settings and a lot more. It is so easy to use you can literally get it out of the box, lug everything in, twiddle with the tone androck the shit out! // 8

Sound: I use the Death Metal pedal with an ESP KH-202, a Jackson RR3 and a Peavey Valveking, it is pretty good but not too good if you turn it up too loud. The effects on it are really good and it gives you are really heavy tone. I can get some certain tones of my favourite artists like James Hetfield, Dimebag Darrell and Even Zakk Wylde. The distortion is spot on. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it, I play it on my rig of itself, a Dunlop crybaby wah pedal and a Danelectro Fab Metal pedal and it is brilliant and I would not use a backup. And it is really durable and has taken a few bumps in it's time and has not taken any major damage, in fact it hasn't taken any damage at all. // 8

Overall Impression: I play what's on the pedal, I also play thrash etc and it is a good match, I have been playing for around 3 years and I also own an ESP KH202, Jackson rr3 and Peavey valveking. I would buy this pedal again if it were stolen or lost, the distortion is the best thing about it, the only thing I don't like is it goes weird if you turn the level up too high. In comparrision to my other main Overdrive pedal in my rig (Danelectro Fab Metal)it is slightly better and is a good price for such a good pedal, I would suggest this to anyone looking for a distorion pedal on a budget. // 9

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 12, 2007

Ease of Use: The ease of use of this guitar pedal is great (this is the first pedal I got). I like how the setup is, plug in a few cords and just play. It came with a manual to tell you which sounds to get and all but I mostley use my own sound, which kind of sounds like Slayer. // 10

Sound: Right now I'm using a Behringer Starters guitar (my previous B.C. Rich was stolen alongside with my Marshall amp) and a lil Washburn bad dog amp. I gotta say before the setup sounded shit! I stopped playing guitar for awhile until my dad got me this pedal, and it sounded way better (than the Berhinger and Washburn that is). I play a lot of Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera, Slayer etc, and sounds close to Dimbags, Kirk Hammett etc. There's no downside to this pedal except the battery life. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal with my life, I got jumped by some guy while walking towards my friends house to play guitar and tried to steal my guitar. He knocked me into the ground (dropping my guitar and amp) and started chokining me. Then I got my pedal and whacked him in the head which knocked him out. My guitar was in a hard case so it didn't take too much damage. and the pedal still sounds like it just came out of the box (I hit him pretty hard too) // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of Metallica and Slayer. And it sounds close but not close enough of what Kirk hammet or Kerry Kings setup. I recommend this pedal or any DigiTech pedals because it sounds really great and saved my life(not really, I just didn't want to break my gear). // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: HexDemon666, on february 21, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is remarkably simple to use. Four basic knobs, an input and two output jacks (one for a mixer and one for an amp), and the slot for an AC adapter. I found it very easy to get a good sound out of it. The manual (and DigiTech website) give four excellent preset tones with tons of room in between to be creative. // 10

Sound: I have an Ibanez S470 and a 26W Peavey Backstage. The amp is superb at getting the sounds you need. I've gotten anywhere from sharp, crisp distortion to sludgy sounds to almost Black Sabbath-esque tones from it. Really, if you experiment with the low, mid, and high, you can really get a lot of different sounds from this. Plus, if you turn everything down and crank up the gain, it works as an overdriver! Overall, the sounds are excellent and work well not only with death metal, but thrash, grunge, grindcore, black metal, and some older '70s/'80s metal if you tweak it right. My only complaint is the amount of feedback. It's immense. The constant static is really annoying and adds a level of futility to playing technical riffs as you only get a general rhythm rather than an intricate pattern of notes. But if you're into nu-metal or you just like chugging away on powerchords like Black Sabbath, this is definitely a monstrous pedal perfect for you. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've dropped it a couple times and it still works great, has no blemishes, and has somehow managed NOT to damage my hardwood floor. I guess I haven't used it enough (I've only had it for a couple months) to really know how durable it is, but from what I can tell, it'll stand up to whatever you would throw at it. I'd definitely use it at a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: For my style of music, it's almost a good match. I play death/thrash/grindcore/metalcore mostly (i.e. Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, Slayer, Anthrax, Lamb of God, Unearth) and the sound is perfect. The only problem is, as mentioned before, the feedback and static really gets in the way of technicality, especially if you're skipping all of the strings because it has a tendency to really carry the sound of a previously played note on a string if you're on a different string. After a year and a half of playing, I was definitely happy with this pedal. It gave me the tone I wanted. After developing my style more, however, I found that it's not right for me. But if you're into heavier, chunkier, rhythm sections (or even leads, this is great for some really squealing leads, though I'm a rhythm guy myself), I definitely reccommend this pedal. Worst case scenario would be that you buy it and have the same problem with feedback as I do. If that's the case, you can just get a noise reducer or sell it for something else. It's a good investment. // 9

Death Metal Reviewed by: mohawkkidJohn, on april 24, 2007

Ease of Use: You don't need to do anything exceptplug it in and play. It is great for guitarists Who like squealing solos, and you can also make it low pitched.The manual is not really needed for a distortion pedal. My pedal is awesome and it isn't even upgraded. Overall it is a great product and I recommend buying it. // 8

Sound: I am playing a Dean custom ml and a Peavey 2x12. The pedal is really squeally when doing Dime squeals. With as much as I have played it it Doesn't hum when powered by a 9v battery, it has very little hum even when pluged into a wall outlet. The effects are always strong unless you have them turned down.If I tried to sound like anyone it would be easy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: you could depend on this pedal for the rest of your life. The pedal is a very dependable. I love this pedal. It probably would not be use full to people that play shitty music like garth brooks and shit. I would use this pedal without a backup without a second thought that is how good this pedal is. I wouldn't be surprised if people use them withput backups already. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and grindcore the pedal goes incredibly good with those genres. I've been playng for 7 years and I have been playing with primarily the same gear except the pedal. I did not need to ask anything else. I love the fact that the pedal is heavy. It doesn't slide, and my favorite feature is it has a knob for: high, low, med, and level. I compares it with numerous Boss and Moxon pedals, it easily surpased the competition. I am very pleased with the pedal. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: Skwisgaar, on june 06, 2007

Purchased from: guitar center

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal as my first stomp distortion pedal about 2 years ago. At the time I was amazed! But now that I ahve become more experienced, I have learned that this pedal is purely crap. It has no highs or tone. Midrange barely seeks through, although lows come out great. If that's all I was lookin for though, I'd Switch to bass. it's simple to use, I'll give it that. // 10

Sound: I wanted to rip right into a Six Feet Under song and this pedal doesn't pack enough punch. My practice amp(Line 6 Spider III 15) offers up better distortion and doesn't muffle the sound. It's an ok pedal if you play on really low volumes. If you try to play on a half stack or on a high volume on a small amp, it gives you so much feedback, but I bought a Boss noise suppressor, so it's ok now. // 3

Reliability & Durability: the pedal sucks my rythem guitarist uses this and I hate it, I can't even hear HIM same your money and get the metal master this pedal is nothing but crunch and muddy Overdrive, but it's not easy to break it so it's durable.This is the worst pedal in the history of pedals. Ihave never played a worse pedal in my life. When I used to use this pedal, my bandmates called me cap'n crunch since all you could hear was crunch. If you want that effect, just eat cereal in front of the microphone, it'd probably sound better than this. Go with a metal master or a Boss metal zone. // 8

Overall Impression: This pedal is well constructed, you'd need a hammer and serious anger issues to break it, however it's functionality left me out in cold with no coat on. If you must have a DigiTech distortion pedal, get the metal master (which is a very nice pedal) or Grunge pedal. The "Death Metal" pedal does not hold true to it's name. I hate it. My Overall Impression: not good. // 3

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2007

Purchased from: Sweetwater

Ease of Use: This is the simplist pedal I have ever used. easy to find a good setting or you can use the four that come in the booklet. great tone. I use it with my Les Paul, my ESP 550 and my B.C. Rich Warlock Platinum Series. They all sound amazing. I play hardcore punk such as Misfits and Black Flag and old school Afi all the way to Sex Pistols, Causalties, Buzzcocks, and Ramones and it not only sounds amazing but gives it a really heavy bite. // 10

Sound: I use it with my Les Paul, my ESP 550 and my B.C. Rich Warlock Platinum Series. They all sound amazing. I got my settings with this and my 1973 Peavy tube amp through the mixer board/auxelitity slot and my Stagg 60w through the main output with the reverb all the way up on both and achived Doyle od the Misfits settings on their Famous Monsters and American Psycho records and gives the older stuff a lot more of a bite. My bassist actully uses it for bass distortion also with amazing results. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is amazingly dependable. Asides from prediscovery of unplugging the cord outta the input slot I have never had a problem with it. Battery life is long as long as you unplug it. It is heavy to prevent sliding and the buttons don't move at all either. it will give you a constent feed of distortion all the way till the battery dies also. one battery will usually last a month or two worth of two or three times a week practice. weve only had one show usung it due to drummer troubles but it worked perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hardcore punk such as Misfits and Black Flag and old school Afi all the way to Sex Pistols, Causalties, Buzzcocks, and Ramones and it not only sounds amazing but gives it a really heavy bite. If ti were lost and or stolen I would kick the persons ass Who stole it and get it back and if it were lost I go out and kick the fist emo or rednecks ass I saw then promptly re purches it. I recomend it to moderate player and up. not on starters. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: razr_back, on august 15, 2007

Purchased from: guitar world

Ease of Use: It is very easy to get a good sound out of it because they give you a pamflit that shoes a couple different sitings such as death scoop, knife's egde, and rectified. The manual for it gives you the rundown of all the control nobs and witch holes to plug it in (comes with an extra out put for mixing bords so you don't have to run it through and amp). I don't no the revision number and it hasn't ben upgraded to my knowledge cause I bought it Brand New. // 10

Sound: I use a Dean razorback db with a 34 year old pevy amp and it makes a lot of bakground noise on any setting but wen you play it will quit. The effects are awesome but thell get weeker due to low battery power. I don't have any cd's of people that use this petal that I know of but I can get some pretty amasing pinch harmonics out because it helps Pick them up alot, like for example you can play wawke up by damageplan with out a Whammy bar on the pre solo riff (I can't say you get the same sound but it's close) My favorite setting is knife's edge cause it help picks up the pinches more than the other settings, the death scoop setting is great for chunk, and the rectified sounds pretty sweet wen soloing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on this because it's made of metal so if you drop it or give it a good stomp it wont bust. And it doesn't slide across the floor as much beacuse of the weight of it and the rubber pad on the bottom. In a gig the only back up I would need is another nine volt, but that's if it's a really long gig and it's on all the time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal and some thrash and it matches perfectly. I've played for a few years and I own a phase, to guitars and an amp. If I would have asked them sumthin I would have asked if there were anyother settings that sound great. I would definetly buy this one again because it's sounds so good. I love the fact that you can gget so much chunk and screams out of it but I don't like the back groun noise wen ur not playin it. My favorite feature is the knife's edge setting because it justs lites up ur guitars sound. I compared this to a Grunge pedal by DigiTech and I picked this one cause it was just better sounding to me. I wish it had an easyer foot Switch to press but otherwise no. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: sniper61, on august 17, 2007

Ease of Use: Pretty self explanatory, "input" is where you plug the cable going from the guitar to, "amp" is where you plug the amp into. Make sure you unplug it from the guitar when you're done (you can leave it plugged into the amp) or the battery will die over night. // 9

Sound: This pedal is awesome for a really heavy distortion. But a major downside of it is that it can't put out a quality light distortion like the Hot Rod can. I'm not expecting "Death Metal" to produce anything less than that though, so just approach it with the name in mind. For a while, there was a clicking sound when the strings were muted, but that went away in a couple weeks. There is a little bit of a learning curve in figuring out how to mess with the knobs to get a tone that you want, but the Encyclopedia of Tone that comes with it can help. If you have a modeling amp, (I use a Vox Valvetronix 100w) be sure that you set it to the cleanest setting, or major feedback problems can result. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built rock solid. Apart from physical damage (paint chipping, etc.) I seriously think this would still work if you dropped it of off 2 or 3 story building. Along with the rubber grip on the bottom, it is heavy enough to not slide around when you stomp on it. // 9

Overall Impression: If you like a wide variety of distortion, add this pedal to your collection. I wish I had bought a true effect pedal rather than a distortion pedal, but I can't blame the Death Metal for that. This is the first pedal I have bought, and I will definitely buy from DigiTech in the future. // 8

Death Metal Reviewed by: WrathOscuro, on august 20, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty straight forward. But then again, just about any stomp box from DigiTech is very easy to use. However, getting a good sound out of it is a whole different story. There's a level knob which apparently controls the volume of the pedal, and there is a 3-band EQ which controls how your distortion sounds depending on how you equalize things. // 8

Sound: This is probably the crappiest sounding distortion pedal I've ever heard. It just sounds so fake. There is no crunch or roar from this thing at all, just very loud fuzz. Palm muting sounds like static, the tones you can get for soloing are pretty much worthless because it's just so buzzy sounding. Even for a $50 pedal, this isn't worth it. If you're getting this pedal, chances are you have a solid state amp with either no distortion or mediocre distortion. If that's the case, save up just $30 more and get a DigiTech Metal Master if you want to spend the minimum on a decent distortion pedal. If you have amp like a Line 6 Spider, or maybe one of the Roland Cubes, you're going to get much better sound out of your amp any day of the week. For anybody curious, I've tried multiple guitars and multiple amps with every pedal that I've tried or own. BC Rich Beast, Schecter Omen 6, BC Rich Platinum V, Ibanez RG (can't remember the exact model), and one of the ESP LTD's. As for amps, (though it doesn't really matter what amp you're on normally when it comes to a stomp box) they are: B-52 AT-212, Crate VTX30, Crate GT15, Peavey Bandit 65, and a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb. // 3

Reliability & Durability: The upside about the Death Metal pedal is that it is very durable. Since it's a DigiTech stomp box, it's made out of metal casing, and it can be dropped without damage. However, I'm not sure about how reliable it can be. This is because I also have used a DigiTech Grunge, which is from the same series as the Death Metal, and it just simply stopped working. But, then again, I have a Bad Monkey and it's worked great the whole time that I've had it. So, it's your call. // 7

Overall Impression: Let me first state that I never actually bought this pedal. Two of my friends whom I jammed with very often always brought their Death Metal Pedals over. But, I also have borrowed the pedals over long periods of time before, so I've had plenty of time to see what all it can do. Bottom line is, save up $30 more and get something better like a DigiTech Metal Master. Or, if you want to go a little bigger, get a Boss MT-2 or a Line 6 Uber Metal for $100. If I remember correctly, the uber cheap Danelectro: Fab Metal sounds better than the Death Metal. Also, just so everyone knows, I am very much into Heavy Metal, and Death Metal. Cryptopsy, Necrophagist, Deicide, you name it. // 2

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2007

Ease of Use: Great pedal. All you have to do is plug your amp and guitar into the pedal, crank it all right up, set your low/mids/high and start shredding! You don't even need to read the manual before use, but it might help as it does have four suggested settings but you can also play with the knobs a bit to find the setting that you like. The knobs move really easy, not too slow, not too fast, so you can get on the right sound instead of "close" to it. // 10

Sound: I use a BC Rich Warlock Bronze with a Kustom 100 watt amp and usually it's cranked up. Honestly the pedal is pretty noisy when you are not playing, it is kind of a "shh" noise but as soon as you start playing you hear NO noise at all. Effects ALWAYS sound great, it basically just depends on one's opinion and sound choice. I think you can get a great Pantera sound, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, anything like that. All the effects are great sounding in my opinion, no flaws, just jam out and have a good time. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a great pedal, very durable, I dropped it on the cement in my garage, and it fell off my amp (it is pretty big and high up) and it is encased in metal. I would for sure use it without a backup on a gig because it has great battery life. Just be sure to unplug your input and output jacks/cords because that will really drain your battery life. Also, be sure to unplug both cords because it could drain both ways. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of hard rock, metal, and heavy metal, and of course, Death Metal. I have been playing for just about 2 years but I have a lot of experience with guitars. I own an ION electric guitar/amp kit was just cheap to get me started. A 1987 Fender Gemini II Acoustic. And a Peavey Milestone III Bass Guitar. The only thing I wish I would have asked is about the noise in the background, it is not really a problem as long as you are playing, but if you are stopping, say, for a bass or drum solo etc. then depress the pedal to the clean sound so it is not noisy. I would buy it again for sure, although, trying something else would be cool, but I can just try out any pedal I want to in the store. I love the crunchy distortion about it, but I hate the background noise when everything is silent. But that is pretty much it, my favorite is that it is really crunchy and great for metal stuff. I compared to the Boss Metalcore, I chose this because the other one was way more noisy, and it didn't have as good of sound, and also it cost a lot more than this one. I wish it had something to mute out the background noise that is what I hate a lot. I think it is a perfect pedal pretty much. The background noise might just be my amp, but I don't know, I recommend you buy this for sure! // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty damn sweet. It is very easy to tool around with the knobs and get what you want, but if you are impatient like me, drop by DigiTech.com and check out the preset sound/preset download to find the sound you are looking for. When dialed in right, these controls are all you need to twist the tone and crunch to the balance you're looking for. Awesome. // 9

Sound: My original preferred guitar/amp combo is a clean-only Crate XK-15 with the DigiTech Metal Master Pedal and an Ibanez RG-120 tuned 2 steps down. The Metal Master has more variety than this pedal but if you are even reading this review, you, like me, are probably interested in making peoples ears bleed and thrashing your shoulder-length hair around while you play to hard-hitting drums and raw, gutteral vocals. This pedal will NOT dissapoint you in that department. I Live for Death and Melodic-Death Metal, like Nile, Necrophagist, Arch Enemy, At the Gates and so on. On the right settings, this bad boy will give you some of the most soul-crushing palm-mutes (especially down in C with some decent humbuckers), and amazingly furious Pick squeals and harmonics (especially when you use your bridge/lead/treble pickup). When not playing, I did notice a mild hum, despite my double-coil pickups, but if you aren't playing, why would you bother plugging it in anyway? Michael Amott from Arch Enemy is my hero. I can't affod his rig. This gets me pretty damn close to that incredible mixture of melody and brutality. My only real complaint is if you're ear is trained enough, you will notice that tremolo picking can be slightly slurred and masks any imperfection that, if you are a beginner, you should be attempting to eliminate. As much as all of us love our crunch, we all need to start more advanced techinques (triplets, tremolo, alternate picking) on our clean settings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: DigiTech knows how to construct a pedal. This thing is built like a rock. I somehow managed to kick it onto and across a tile floor after tripping over my cable and chipping my precious Ibanez. Mine is used, my friend gave it to me and it doesn't even have a chip in the onyx paint. Even after that little incident I mentioned before. One thing to keep in you gig bag for shows though: 9 volt batteries. Not that this thing chews them up, but it has a nasty little habbit of cutting out in the middle of an awesome riff. Either that or invest in the AC adapter. I took this thing to my first local show and it was amazing. I have two pedals so I will always keep that Metal Master just in case, but this thing has yet to fail, or worse, embarass me. // 10

Overall Impression: I Live for extreme metal. It is the only thing to me that doesn't seem to get boring. This gets me that Nile/Arch Enemy/Carpathian Forest sound. What more could I ask for? I've been playing for two years now, and in that time I've acquired an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, a Line 6 Spider II amp, and of course my Ibanez, Crate and Metal Master. This is the best distortion that I can afford at the age of 17, but it is by no means an "I'll settle for this" situation. If lost, I would probably buy the same exact thing. That is what I like about DigiTech: they like to spoil a guitarist on a budget. While less expensive than the Metal Master, I would easily prefer this one. I don't want the variety as much as I want the damn good crunch. This pedal dosen't offer the versatility that the X-Series does, but it certainly does what's it is made for far better than anything else I've heard or used. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: Vampyre_Punk, on september 13, 2007

Purchased from: Mcanns Music

Ease of Use: This pedal has 4 control knobs, level (basically volume), low (ability to pick up low frequencies), middle (ability to pick up middle frequencies) and high (ability to pick up high frequencies). Your an idiot if you can't figure out how to work this thing, no offence if any of you can't, but it's so easy. My first pedal and I knew exactly what to do just by looking at it. I didn't look at the manual, but the DigiTech Product Manual helped me get a good sound out of it, I suggest checking out the four presets they suggest. // 10

Sound: I'm using a weak 10 watt Silvertone guitar amp with a Samick Flying V which has a 3-way pickup selector (I have it on the bridge pickup generally), I also used it on my Ashton beginner bass with my 30w Ashton bass amplifier. I'll start by talking about the sound with my guitar. All I can say is sweet, I usually have the high on max, and the middle and low at about 5, and slightly vary them which surprisingly changes the sound alot. With this setting I can get my V sounding like Metallica (particuarly the songs from Kill Em' All and Ride The Lightning and a little of Master Of Puppets), Pantera (Walk sounds killer on it) and even death metal bands like Arch Enemy (try Nemesis on this baby, it's kick ass), not to mention Rage Against The Machine (Killing in The Name particuarly). Unfortunately though the sound is somewhat limited, and if you try other settings like flipping Low to max it sounds really crap, I mean, it's almost a necessity to turn high to max or atleast higher than the rest, so it does have a wonderful range of distortion sounds but they aren't of extreme quality. But otherwise, I'm in love with this pedal! Now when I used it with my bass I was a little disgusted, the sound was tacky and had way too much gain although with a bit of tweaking I got the perfect sound for the legendary bass solo by the master Cliff Burton himself 'Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)', which I was happy with. Otherwise though, get a real bass distortion pedal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is a metal footswitch, literally. Definetely gig without backup, absolutely no problems here. Of course, it's not as if it's invulnerable, so I can't honestly give it a 10 and I have only had it for a month. It's gonna last, don't even worry. I haven't yet encountered any problems with batteries, and don't use an adaptor, I don't know what all the fuss is about battery life, look at all the other pedal reviews, it's the same everywhere. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play allmost every style of metal and this defenitely suits me for now and has improved my ability to play metal alot. I've been playing about guitar for about 6 months seriously now, and bass for a year and a half, this IS my first foot Switch but I am glad I bought it. If it were stolen or lost I'd get really pissed off, but then I'd probly wait a month and buy a good $300 multi-effects pedal. I love it because it suits my needs and helps my playing alot, my favourite feature would be basically, it improves the way I can play, gives me plenty of options, and just adds a whole new experience to my playing. One problem I found with this pedal was that sometimes you don't want gain at 11, even though you can still sort of adjust this with messing around with your amp and stuff, I just wish I had enough cash to buy an all-round effects pedal, oh well, this will do me for now as I am genuinely happy with the pedal. When I was In Mcanns I used 2 other Distortions, one was another DigiTech one, but it didn't have enough grunt for my tastes, the other was a Grunge pedal, I didn't choose this for basically the same reason, this pedal however sounded good basically as it was plugged in, I tried it and then bought it. All I wish it had was it's own gain knob. Overall, very happy. // 8

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2007

Purchased from: Marguerites Music

Ease of Use: Easy to use. I had a crappy Fab Metal pedal before this that was hard to get a good sound out of. The manual is pretty straight foreward. You basically don't need to read the manual. Just plug it in and play. It is easy to adjust. The battery is really easy to change too. Just push in the little buttons on the side of the pedal with a guitar jack and pop the pedal off and change the battery. // 10

Sound: I am using this with a earlier model B\.C\. Rich Bronze Warlock through a 30 watt Peavey amp. The amp is a P.O.S. but it works. I still think it sounds amazing. Everyone that has heard me play say that they think the distortion effect is amazing on this pedal. I can get the sound of my favorite artists if I tweak it just right. Zao, Lamb Of God, Demon Hunter, As I Lay Dying, etc. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built like a tank. I wouldn't be afraid to drop it on solid concrete. I would definately use it w/o a backup. The only thing is that the battery dies fast so getting the adapter definately is a plus for anyone Who plays a greater part of the day. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly metalcore, some hard rock and hardcore too. This pedal basically works for anything that I want to play. I have been playing for about 1 1/2 years. the only other pedals I have played with are a Fab Metal distortion and a Bad Dog Distortion. If it was stolen or lost I would def. buy it again. IMO it is an all around good pedal. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 06, 2008

Ease of Use: Very easy to use. I the manual is good to use if you have no clue where to start to get your distortions. It would be a good idea to use the manual's settings at first and just tweak them to get the sound you want, otherwise you may be blasted with serious feedback. It has four knobs, Level, Low, Mid, and High. Very easy to figure out how to use, and it also has 2 outs, one for a mixer, and one for an amp. Only one input though. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with my Schecter C-1 Elite (2006) Guitar, and a B-52 ST-6012. This pedal is extremely noisy when you are not using it, and if you even turn the level up over three, it just goes insane with the fuzz and feedback. The sound is very over the top, they weren't kidding when they said it was the most extreme distortion pedal. If you do power chords alot, then this pedal is for you because it makes them sound as thick a a 72oz steak. You can really play any type of metal with this pedal, I can get anywhere from Black Sabbath's 'Masters of Reality' to Dying Fetus' 'Destroy the Opposition'. It is not the best for soloing though, because it makes the notes sound to sharp, and frankly hurts the ears. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This baby is heavy, and extremely durable. My friend hit mine with a metal baseball bat a few times, and it didn't even dint it, and it still sounds the same. If I was at a gig, I would definitely use it without a backup. The only drawback is that it eats batteries very fast, within a few days. Get an adapter of some sort, because you will really need it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all metal from 80's Glam to Grindcore, and this pedal suits me well. This would be a good first pedal, but don't rely on it to get all your sounds, it would be good to have one or two others. I personally use a Boss Metal Zone MT-2 and a Super Overdrive SD-1 to get other sounds, but I play a variety of music ranging from all metal, to blues, to Jazz, to even classical. I have been playing 2 and a half years, and I can say that if you don't have a lot of money and want an over the top pedal, run down to your local music store and get this right now. // 9

Death Metal Reviewed by: thrashnmosh782, on may 23, 2008

Ease of Use: The DigiTech Death Metal Distortion pedal is simply awseome. The controls (Level, Low Mid and High) allow for total control of your tone. The manual included with mine had certain settings to put the controls on for different sounds and they were all pretty cool. // 9

Sound: I run this thing with a Jackson RR3 equiped with Seymour Duncans and a Marshall MG-30DFX. This pedal can be noisy, but only with the level cranked up. Basically, the gain level is at 11 the whole time so you'll always have an over-the-top heavy distortion. I could sorta emulate a Metallica-like tone, when scooping the Mid and turning up the Highs and Lows, so that's a plus. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I definitely depend on this pedal. I play in a thrash/groove metal band, and it cuts through the drums and Still Remains clear. I don't think that I would need any other distortion for a gig, other than this one. it's built like a tank and definitely can withstand a beating. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I was very impressed with this pedal. It married well with the style of music I play. If this were stolen form me I would kill something and probably buy another one. I love the overall sound to it and the control over your tone. The one thing I have against this pedal is that there is no Gain level control, and as a result it's not very dynamic. Other than that, it's perfect for me. // 9

Death Metal Reviewed by: aenimafist, on july 05, 2008

Purchased from: Rieman Music

Ease of Use: Getting a good sound out of this load of metal is pretty easy just due to fact you don't have to mess around with any morph kknobs or distortion selection features. The only bummer is that you can't adjust the amount of distortion coming through the box. There is only a volume and three EQ knobs. This pedal is good for a lot of dist. But it is pretty useless if you want to do tone shaping. When I purchased it it had this really bad hum when it was active but then Irealized it still had the factory battery in it. So I took it out and put in a new one but it still hummed like crazy. The circuitry was f--ked up or something. // 7

Sound: I feel like a real idiot because I was using this pedal to find my own unique sound but I was using it with a Line 6 Spider III which really has the sound I wanted now that I realize it. Like I said earlier this thing had a terrible hum when the batteries were changed and you can't really EQ at all with this thing. There needs to be more variety in a pedal if I am going to use it often during recording and gigs and such. This is good for high gain though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal didn't break down on me at all except for once when I was just messing around and all of the sudden it wouldn't turn on. I turned off all of my gear and tried it again and the pedal was then functional. Other than that one incident it had worked just fine, (despite the humming), until I sold it. I think it would be very wise to have back-up to this pedal during a gig and I would also strongly recommend having a gate in your rack as well. // 7

Overall Impression: After messing around with this pedal for about a month or two I realized that this wasn't the sound for me. One good thing came out of the experience though: I knew that what I was looking for was something completely different. I think what would have made this pedal better for me would have been more tone-shaping options and a distortion level knob. Something more like a Boss Metal Zone would have worked better but even then that is not the pedal for me. // 7

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2008

Price paid: C$ 20

Ease of Use: I got this pedal used for 25$ with an AC adapter from a friend. At the time, this thing went for 69.99 CAD at the nearest music store. Did not include manual, box, or a battery, but this thing is still extremely easy to use. Hooray for stompbox simplicity. Has four knobs, level (volume), low, mid, and high. You can easily get intense mid scoops and top boosts by adjusting the mid and high knobs accordingly, and this thing will give you pretty ballsy bass even through weak amps. Overall, it's crude, but it's effective. // 9

Sound: I use it with an LTD EC-50 with Road Hog cables through an older model Fender Frontman 15R and a Vox AD30VT. I sounds horrible through the Vox, but that is entirely the amp's fault. Through the lowly Fender, this thing roars. There is an audible hum through the amp, though it's not very prominent. I play some of everything withing the blues/jazz/rock/metal range, but I have no illusions as to what this pedal does best: crushing metal. A few reviews I've read of this product are disappointed with the intensity of the tone or the lack of variety. These people clearly did not read the label. This pedal is good for some of the heavier Pantera stuff, Lamb Of God, Death, Warbringer, Slayer, and everything on up to Grindcore. If you play anything like those, this pedal will suit you well. The only downside to this pedal is that it does not do the high-range any favours. Like I mentioned, it's good for crushing metal, so if you're looking for something to give you high-flying solos, look elsewhere. Overall, this pedal will suit any kind of music you play, so long as that music is relatively modern metal. I can't complain, because I got it for 25$. Versatility is an issue, but for a truly versatile pedal, you will be forced to pay an absolute minimum of $100-$150 CAD before taxes. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'm the second person to own this pedal. it's previous owner used it well (several years I think), so it's got some cosmetic damage (chipped paint, which is quite a feat since the finish is several milimeters thick all over the pedal, worn rubber pad, etc.) and he probably stomped on one of the plastic knobs because it's a bit crooked (still works like new, though! ). I can basically kick the crap out of this pedal and it'll keep going without a hitch. The pedal weighs a ton (the shell, at least, is solid steel) and is secured to the floor by a large rubber pad which keeps it from skidding around. I'd definitely use it without a backup, though I would not trust battery power. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very specific Tool for a very specific job. That job is bone-crushing riffage. If you're looking for more, look elsewhere. That's that. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably have a look at a wider variety of pedals. Having said that, If I found another one of these at a good price I'd jump on it. It's definitely provided enough entertainment to pay for itself twenty times over. // 9

Death Metal Reviewed by: upchuck51, on october 27, 2008

Purchased from: Moeller Music

Ease of Use: This is the tone I have been trying to get from other pedals for a while now. I play a bit of Death Metal (Bloodbath, Morbid Angel, etc.) but could never get the right tone. Scoop the mids right out, boost low and high, crank the volume and it sounds like a big amp in a house a few doors down. Incredibly easy to get different tones out of it. I'm not sure what it is about this pedal, but I noticed a few others stated this as well. Powered by 120 watts of tube power it cuts through and annihilates your ears. // 10

Sound: this pedal sounds very good with a tube power amp. a solid state amp is not a good match with this pedal. the mids on this pedal should def not be scooped alot. it does sound like low quality and fuzzy distortion if you do this. basically this pedal has the potential to have a good quality distortion for cheap. on some settings it does sound somewhat like a mesa recifier but still has a lot to go. it doesnt't rival any high gain amps like a mesa or a Krank but it has decent distortion for a low price. you can get a somewhat of a variety of sounds from it. I wish there was gain on this though. also the eq does change the sound alot. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's heavy and it's metal, funnily enough. It seems very durable in terms of construction. I don't mainly gig, I just play for fun and I record music, but I'm sure it would stand up to many years of gigging, and I can't see it causing many problems for my own personal use. // 8

Overall Impression: this is a good pedal for post punk, hardcore, basically anything with a lot of distortion that doesnt't sound perfect. it sounds good but not amazing. if you run this though a tube amp I would def recommend it. if you are running it though a modelling amp and solid state amp I would def not. recommend it. though a solid state it sounds horrible, and wouldn't be suitable in a band situation. if I lost it or stole I would prob buy a new amp made for higher gain. a lot of reviews judge this pedal too heavily. It is a cheap $50 pedal so really you can't expect this pedal to sound perfect. it def would sound like a mesa, soldano, vht or other high quality amps, so don't expect it do. for the price it does fine. // 7

Death Metal Reviewed by: punkyriffs, on october 30, 2008

Price paid: C$ 69.99

Purchased from: Melody Music Center

Ease of Use: This pedal is for guitar players Who are balls to the walls for heavy distorition. If you like fuzzy distorition, and feedback this pedal is for you. It's not too hard to get a good sound out of it, but if you're looking for just a little bit of distorition this isn't the pedal for you. // 7

Sound: When I bought the pedal I was playing it out of a little Peavy Rage 158 amp, using my Squier Jag-master. The pedal is definatly not for amuatuers. I am no master but I bought it to experiment with feedback, and if you let it this stomp box with tear apart your songs. Now I use it out of a Marshall half-stack, and that makes the feedback a little more controlable. For me the effects always sounded great. The three main settings make it easy for one to get his or her perfect distoirion sound. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very dependable. I used it Live a few times, and I've never had any problems with it. Before playing though I suggest you check your settings because the knobs are eaisly moved, and it could screw with your sound (example: turning down the bass). I would play live without a backup pedal, but I would bring an extra battery. It takes a D battery, and although there are many features to keep it from dying you don't want it to crash in the middle of a performance. To off set this I have one battery for practice (which I use all the time), and one for playing Live (which is only used for that, to conserve power). // 9

Overall Impression: I play punk, rock, Grunge, and some folk. The pedal doesn't really match up with the later, but by adujusiting the settings. This pedal is great for metal (duh), but it's really good for playing Grunge. If you want to get a Soundgarden, Nirvana, or even early Local H feel this is the pedal for you. You can adujust the settings to get a really nuce fuzzy sound, and it sounds more Grunge like then the "Grunge" pedal (also from DigiTech). If this were stolen I would get another, but only if I could find it for the same price I did. Some places charge $100 for it, and personally that's a bit too much to be spending on effects. I love how you can just create these great sounding solos. Take even the most basic Johnny Cash solo, and it sounds great coming from this pedal. This is also a great pedal for a band to jam with. When I was looking for a pedal, the store workers let me try that amongst other pedals. I tried the DigiTech Grunge, The Death Metal, and a few other pedals from various manufactuers. I liked this one the best because it sounded the most raw, and it had the most distorted sound out of the lot. For all it's perfect distorition, I wish the pedal did have some light settings, so that during a set I could go from Hard Rock, so a softer (but still distorited song) without having to change pedals. // 8

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 10, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal is so easy to use, my grandma could probably manage to get sounding like Michael Amott with it. Despite what a lot of reviews have said, it plays f--kin brilliantly loud. I play it through a Marshall MG100DFX, and I play Hardcore/Metal. It does actually offer a bit more brutality than the distprtion I can get through my MG100. The Pedal comes with a manual that generally bigs the pedal up and gives you a few presets that are ok, but I recommend f--king the manual off and finding something sick for yourself. // 9

Sound: Like I said before, I'm using an ESP EX50, through a Marshall MG100DFX, and it sounds brilliant. I will admit, it does buzz a little when I crank it, but aslong as your quick enough with your volume control during breaks, you'll be rate! No matter what settings you feed into the pedal, it always sounds sick. It just depends on what you play. I play stuff like The Classic Struggle and Born Of Osiris, and this pedal can give me a sound similar to there's, but still unique. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal seems like it's definately built to last, but when I lifted the footswitch bit and had a butchers at the inside, the actual Switch is surrounded by plastic, and I'm not too sure about jumping on it. It definately feels like it'd last a fair beating, and it comes with a 6 year warranty, so DigiTech must be fairly confident that it'll take a decent beating and still sound shit hot. I'd use it at a gig without backup for sure. Aslong as you take a decent amount of batteries with you, you'll be fine. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal can stand up to the constant abuse I give it with playing some proper heavy stuff, and it always seems to sound good. I've been playing for 7 years, before I brought this I had a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal. The DM pedal might seem like it's distortion is OTT for the pussies amongst you all, and if you feel that way, I would recomend you look into the Line 6 uber metal. it's a little more expensive, but it's built like a brick shit house. It's not as distorted as the DM. If someone robbed my DM pedal, I'd either buy another one, or hunt them down and get it back. Overall it's a match made in heaven for guitarists like me. If you don't play the heaviest of heavy, simply don't think twice about buying this pedal. Look into the less agressive distortions available from DigiTech, or the L6 Uber Metal, if you wanna get a beasty sound but you don't quite dig how heavy the DM is. // 9

Death Metal Reviewed by: col50, on december 03, 2008

Price paid: C$ 70

Purchased from: Long And Mquade

Ease of Use: It was very easy to use. It works like a basic pedal, just plug your guitar into the pedal, plug your pedal into the amp and then your ready to go. It comes with a tiny manual but after all, the pedal is simple to use. It has 4 knobs: level, low, mid, and high so it is very easy to use. // 9

Sound: I use an Epiphone lp-100 and an old 90s Dean Markley amp with it. The pedal can get pretty dam noisy if you crank the level knob all the way so if your planning on using this at cranked setting you should use an isp discriminator with it. With it you can pull of some decent Cannibal Corpse tones and Deicide. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had mine for probably two years and so far I haven't had any problems with it except the battery usually runs out fast so I use an AC adapter. I would totally gig with it without a backup. It is really dependable and I've even dropped it down a flight of stars with minimal damage done to it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play lots of Death Metal so it fits me nicely. I've been playing for since 2003 and I use a LP-100 and an old 90s Dean Markley amp. If it was stolen or lost I would probably buy another one, depends how much they cost nowadays. What I love about it is how the distortion sounds and what I hate about it is that when it's cranked up it gets very noisy and static. I wish it had a built in detuner because it would go along with Death Metal perfectly. // 8

Death Metal Reviewed by: MUSICFIEND21, on january 09, 2009

Purchased from: guitar center

Ease of Use: Ease of use, extremly easy 4 knobs and that's it. The manual was nice but I didn't use it had been playing this at my local guitar center so much I aready knew what it could do. Although nice to know that the murderdolls use DigiTech. now the knobs are volume, low, mid, and high so as you can read it is extremly easy to use, if you don't know hoe to use it ur a complete idiot. then again I also am running this through a Line 6 spider 3. // 10

Sound: The sound is gut-rippiing to say the least, and versitile to you can get anywere from sludge tones(acid bath, saint vitus, candlemass, etc)to more modern metal(pantera, bleeding through, Slayer)and if done correctly some nice blusey bends r possible. Altough I can't get a Slipknot tone out of it. Compared to my Boss metal zone I like this a lot better, but with active pickups it gets pretty noisey, mainly feedback but still. also another note this is not a lead pedal the high notes are way to bright I recomed a top boost or some type of Overdrive for lead tones. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes you can depend on this it is built like a tank. Would use it without a back up but would bring batteris just in case.just so you know it is a all metal case housing with recesed knobs so you don't hit them on accident. Belive me that comes in handy when you got size 12 feet. // 10

Overall Impression: Well the pedal is a good match mainly cause I play metal(man who would've guessed) but I also like playing classic rock, blues, gore-grinad, grind-core, pop-punk, and plain old punk.oh and a lot of Death Metal. Now for the most part it sounds pretty good with the Death Metal pedal.now I am playing this with my sg and my Epiphone futura custom and my amp is a Line 6 spider 3 but I also own a Fender frontman. If it were stolon I would buy another one or a EHX metal muff. // 8

Death Metal Reviewed by: ElmntRocker, on november 26, 2009

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Ease of Use: The dials on the box are all pretty self explanatory. The manual goes over basic maintenance like popping off the hinge to replace the battery, otherwise it's largely unneeded. The other piece of paper included is a sales pitch for other pedals, but if you flip to the Death Metal page you get some suggested dial settings to get you started. // 9

Sound: If you like a solid Death Metal sound this pedal is definitely for you, but getting anything else from it poses a bit of a challenge. Turning the level knob up too high (past halfway) creates an awful noise if you leave your fingers off the strings for longer then a couple of seconds. By manipulating the volume pot on your guitar you can get a surprising amount of control over the level of distortion. This trick gives you a much greater range of sounds, basically anything on the heavier side of rock. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is very sturdy, the knobs are solid and the pedal is mostly made of a strong metal. I wouldn't be worried at all about the pedal breaking, but batteries are a different issue. This thing rips through 9volts like a nervous guy with tic tacs. Buy the AC adapter or expect to funnel your life savings into your local battery shop. // 7

Overall Impression: I play just about everything, but hard rock/metal is my home. Once I figured out the quirks I was quite happy with it. It's far better then my amps distortion, and has a wide range of sounds with volume manipulation. If I lost this pedal I would certainly get another DigiTech pedal, either this one or the Hot Rod. I just wish the guys at the store had informed me of this things appetite for batteries when I bought it. // 9

Death Metal Reviewed by: 2guitargod4, on january 19, 2010

Price paid: A$ 130

Purchased from: The Music Den

Ease of Use: This pedal is not very versatile but delivers a great sound for heavy, thrash and Death Metal, of course. It is very basic, simple and very easy to use. It features a Level, Low, Mid and High knobs. The manual that is included with this product is pretty explanitory. // 8

Sound: I use it with my Ibanez EGEN18 and sometimes a Jackson and I run it through a 70W Laney LG35R. It can be extremely fuzzy if not on the right settings but some players like that sound. This pedal is great for getting Metallica, Trivium, COB, Bullet For My Vallentine sounds and when mixed with a good delay pedal you can get great Vai and Satriani sounds. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is fairly durable like most stomp boxes and I have not have any problems with the reliabilty or durability of this product yet. I have owned it 13 months. I would use at a gig without a backup but I usually switch between this and some other distortion pedals so I normally have a few more with me. // 9

Overall Impression: I obviously play a fair bit of metal and this guitar suits it perfectly. It is also great for solo guitarists like Vai, Satch and a little bit of Malmsteen. I have been playing for 3 years and I also own a Boss DD-7 dealay, Boss P-10 V-Wah, DigiTech Whammy 2 and a DigiTech Jamman Loop Station. If it were stolen or lost I would look into buying it again but other distortion pedals such as the Ibanez Jemini and Boss DS-1 would compete with it. I love the tone it gives when mixed with delay but at times it can become a bit of a fuzzy box. // 8

Death Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 29, 2010

Price paid: C$ 75

Purchased from: London Guitar Shop (Ontario)

Ease of Use: The knobs kinda speak for itself, the gain is already set to 11, but more fiddling is needed to get that high tone sound you're after, which causes more confusion and difficulty to get that specific tone. This pedal ONLY WORKS IF YOU KNOW WHAT SETTING WORKS BEST. Still it doesn't provide enough Torque. // 6

Sound: I have nothing but a Squier Strat and an SP-10 amp. It does NOT have a gain OR midrange knob, WHICH CAUSES EVEN MORE CONFUSION AND FRUSTRATION. Also, I've noticed that the tone constantly decreases, EVEN WITH FRESH NEW BATTERY. P.S. I can't afford anything additional so if you have any ideas that would be great. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The pedal DOES have good features but because of constant tone decreases I won't be able to rely on it until I get some more equipment to maintain good tone. I just wish I had complete different gear to tell if it's good. I can't believe I need all THAT, DEFINATELY A RIP-OFF INDEED. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly Metal and Punk but I can't tell if it's a good fit until I get some ideas to maintain good tone. Again, I only have an SP-10 and a Strat and I'm forced to play this crap for 3 years. I wish I could ask, "What else should I get along with it to give off some support to it. If someone stole it I would get that pedal again but I wish I could afford a Schecter Damien Elite FR in Metallic Blue and a tube amp rather than a lousy Strat. The EMGs on the Damien gives out a whole whack of Torque you'll need. The pedal is the deadliest one there is, meaning that it should fit all kinds of playing style. I also wish it MAINTAINS the fresh guitar tone because I often notice it fading. // 7

Death Metal Reviewed by: Hashquatch, on august 18, 2010

Ease of Use: This pedal is straight to the point. It is not complicated to use at all. My nine year old cousin knows how to use it. The encylopedia of tone gives you a bunch of settings. It is really good for people who do not like to mess with a whole bunch of stuff and like simplicity. Buy this pedal now, in the near future or when ever you can, you will not regret it. // 9

Sound: ESP LTD EC-50 with EMG as neck pickup. A mg4 series Marshall mg15 15 watt 1x8 combo amp. It gets a tad noisy when you not playing but its fine when you are. I can get the sound of deathcore bands (what I play). Your can plug the cord that goes from the amp to pedal into the either of the outputs, it doesnt't matter and does no harm, and you'll get 2 different tones. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is built like a tank. I do not think there is much you could do to break, mame, destroy, harm or make this pedal not work. If you ran it over it would probably still work. The only things I can think of would be to completely submerge it in water and try and turn it on or to shoot it with AA12 shotgun.I would not gig without back up, I am totally/completely/ 100% confident in this pedal not to fail on me but accidents do happen so I would keep a spare pedal backwards not because I don't think it wouldn't last but I wouldn't want to end the show because some drunk throws a cup of beer on stage of something to that affect. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Technical Deathcore and its a great match. I started playing bass about 3 years ago and switched to guitar about a year ago. I have played many guitars/basses in that time, my ESP ltd ec 50, Schecter hellraiser 6 string, epi les paul goth, B.C. Rich son of a beast, an early model Ibanez strat style gutar, a Silvertone revolver, a Silvertone bass, a Dean 5 string bass, a prs semi holow body guitar, an entry model korean made guitar, a spectrum acoustic, an Epiphone acoustic, First Act acoustics, some other acoustics. If it were stolen I'd find out who did it and stomp their head in lol. If I couldnt find it I'd probably get a DigiTech RP355 multi effects pedal, not because I don't like this pedal ( I love this pedal btw) but only to broaden the abilility to have more options of what to play. // 10

Death Metal Reviewed by: DethbyChocolate, on november 01, 2010

Purchased from: Online

Ease of Use: This pedal is really easy to use. Its got four knobs-level, low, mid, high-which all contribute to forming the gain knob thats missing. If you play metal, this pedal is for you. you squeeze some tasty thrash, death, black(any metal tones really)out of this little guy. It has a good low end for chugging, and power, but also has a good high end for those blistering solos, and screaming harmonics. // 9

Sound: As stated above, you can get some pretty good metal tones out of this pedal. Alot of pedals that I've encountered, require a good amp (along with the pedal) for a good tone, but this pedal goes good with any amp really. I've played it through a Marshall half-stack, as well as a cheapo practice amp. I got a great sound both times. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built tough. Its housed in metal, and can take one hell of a beating. In my opinion it is more durable then a Boss, even. I've had this pedal for about a year now, and its gone through alot, yet still sounds like the day I bought it.Overall its built like a military bunker // 9

Overall Impression: This pedal is great for all types of metal. Its got a great low end for those tasty riffs, and chugging, as well as a great high end for merciless solos, and screaming harmonics. all in all, I reccomend this pedal for any guitarist that wants a great tone, but still wants some money left in his wallet. // 9

Death Metal Reviewed by: Genome_666, on january 28, 2011

Purchased from: GVM

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use and the use of the manual isn't required (although it does give a few recommended settings that you could use). Doubt you can get get any easier O_o Getting the sound you want just takes some playing time with the eq but that's the case with every pedal I suppose. All in all very simple to use and set up. Unwrap it and plug it in ^_^ // 10

Sound: I ran this pedal though my Dean Razor back explosion and a Laney Lx65D amp. For me there was some noise being generated from the pedal when nothing is being played, just deactivate the pedal when there is long silence and it is fine. Having a distortion pedal and not being able to control the gain on it kind of gets my hair up but I suppose that's the point of this pedal, you not going to be using it for anything else but hard metal (duuuh it is called Death Metal for a reason O_o). the distortion on the pedal isn't great. Somebody mentioned it sounds like bees in a jar and they are very right. It hasn't got that impact (if you know what I mean) I need. The distortion is faaaar from the best. Getting a sound like you fav metal bands (just not as good) isn't that hard to get. Definitely a buzz saw...meh. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is rock solid....well like heavy metal solid (^_^ mind the pun). Must be pretty hard to damage (Well I didn't really want to test throwing it around the house and riding over it O_o). Very dependable pedal I say. Battery won't last long (same with probably all pedals) so buy the power adapter without hesitation. If.....and if I had to gig with this pedal I wouldn't really think about bringing a back up. This is a good pedal and doubt it will break soon. // 9

Overall Impression: I mostly play music like All that remains, As I lay dying, cradle ect and the pedal works for it to a degree. Been playing for a few years so I'm fussy about what works for me so that's why I don't really like this pedal much for distortion. Rather spend more money and get a better pedal that is capable of delivering. Don't get me wrong it is good but not great. Suppose if you just messing around or haven't been playing for long this pedal will do it for you but that's just it...more of a juvenile pedal. I would rather go for the Boss metal zone if you want something in a similar price range and sounds better. I wouldn't replace it if it got stolen. I would rather spend extra and get a decent pedal. All in all...I'd give this pedal a 7 maaaaybe an 8 if I'm in a good mood ^_^ But wouldn't really recommend it if you want seriously good distortion or been playing for a few years. // 7

Death Metal Reviewed by: Rallad, on august 31, 2011

Ease of Use: The interface is simple enough for most people to use, you've got a level knob (like a volume meter for the unit) and high/mid/low controls where you can further tighten your equalization. Setting up the pedal is also very easy, you're good to go in seconds. // 9

Sound: When not able to use my Engl Powerball, I try various SS amps (with distortion units) in conjunction to an 81/85 EMG loaded ESP Ltd F50. I must admit the sound of this pedal wasn't particularly impressive, in fact it reminded me of the cheap sounding Overdrive effects on the very amps I was using. Albeit this, it's lead tone weren't too shabby, much preferable than what it offers to rhythm. It lacked character and surprisingly, I found it couldn't really achieve any decent death metal overdrive... Regarding pedals, I much prefer the tone and feel of my other dist. Unit, the Boss ML2. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It's a solid enough pedal with a metal construction, built to take some abuse, it hasn't given any trouble since purchase. For power it takes either an adapter or a 9V battery, which is good. For gigging it also has a mixer output, which is a neat feature. // 9

Overall Impression: The drawback of the pedal lies not in its design, but in it's sound. Playing most metal genres, it reminded me a bit of Death's sound (the irony) but I couldn't get it to sound very dynamic or 'powerful', the coproduct of noise makes the result not very pleasing. For the price, I wouldn't really bear a grudge against it, but I'd much rather chip in some extra bucks and get something better. However I deem it makes a good beginner pedal for those in heavy metal. // 7

Death Metal Reviewed by: Johanvanderbal, on december 16, 2011

Price paid: C$ 35

Purchased from: Pawnshop

Ease of Use: Hmm, well its easy to use, but you have to use it correctly to have a good sound. Just needs a gain knob, or at least a adjustable internal gain knob so you can dial it in and seal it back up. And maybe a noise gate, its nice to show up to jams and just throw a pedal down and hook up your guitar to another dude's Fender Twin and end up with recto sounds. // 7

Sound: Well, this varies highly, as soon as your using a bright sounding clean with any sort of slight gain, like crunch but just bairly, anything that gets some treble, the death metal's treble sounds f--king stupid, the EQ is basically really really sensitive, but you do have to crank the knobs around far from eachohther not close. I turn up the treble until I hear a slight amount of shitty highs and then turn it back down to where its gone, same with the mids, but the lows can basically be your high point, around 5 or 6, and everything must be less then the lows, keep the mids almost the same as the lows usually and it sounds like a normal amp again. But when you use this with a muddy clean solid state, you need to bring the highs back and level out that EQ more like a traditional 4/5/6 highmidbass type setting. I found when using it with highgain preamps though, there's just so much gain and no knob on the pedal, you can't get a useful sound. Simple fix is switching to a Overdrive with my main amp's preamp to boost it a bit. But then again I would never suggest a distortion for your big live rig, I have a mesa, and I just use it's distortion with help from a Overdrive for saturation, but I wont take my Overdrive to a jam, its useless unless I know the guitarist's amp is gunna have a good useable preamp distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Battery cable severed due to pedal going up and down, the cable comes out right beside where the top of the pedal and the main part come together when you stomp it. I put in another cable as their not fixable (molded) and now check where the cable is going under that pedal so I don't stomp it again. Also, when its cold the light doesn't come on right away, and neither does the sound. But that's life in the north. // 8

Overall Impression: I would buy it again because for the price there's no sense in spending any more money on something your never going to use with your own rig anyways. The MXR Fullbore, Boss metalcore/zone/whatever other coloured one they have, and a couple others just sounded the same to me, I don't see a reason to keep making the same pedals in new casings with less or more features, such as a full EQ which this pedal has. For the price point, even the noisegate in the fullbore wont sell me on it. My live rig is a Mesa with a DigiTech GNX in the loop, no amp models, and I use the noisegate from the GNX in my loop, exactly what the decimator does, does the job perfectly for djenty metal tones. // 10

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ RP355 8.6 Guitar Effects 08/04/2014