Digital Delay Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 04/18/2012 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: Digital Delay
The DigiDelay pedal gives you loads of delay time, with up to 4 seconds of delay available. This is more than is found in many studio-quality, rack-mounted delay processors. And that's just the beginning!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Ease of Use: 8.8
 8.9
 8.7
reviews (8) pictures (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Digital Delay Reviewed by: Dave_Mc, on june 06, 2005

Purchased from: Matchetts Music

Ease of Use: It's not overly easy to use, but then I doubt any delay pedal is. DigiTech give some sample settings on their website. It has lots of features, including a backwards delay, which sounds pretty cool, and tap tempo is handy to have. There are 4 seconds of delay overall, and there's a loop function that lets the pedal play back up to about 4 seconds of a riff/lead you record. There are 7 modes overall: the first 3 govern varying lengths of delay (1-250ms, 250-1000ms, and 1-4 seconds), mode 4 is tape delay, mode 5 is modulated delay (like a chorus mixed with the delay), mode 6 is the much-ballyhooed (I like frasier, ok? I don't really talk like this) reverse delay, and 7 is the aforementioned loop function. Not bad - once you get the hang of it, it's ok. // 8

Sound: I use it with an Ibanez RG-470 through a Marshall AVT100 amp. The sound is good. Every so often it sounds a little "digital," but this can't really be helped, as it is a Digital Delay pedal. As I said, the reverse delay sounds particularly cool, and all the delay effects are pretty good. I compared it to both a Boss DD3 and DD6 when I was buying, and this sounded as good, and it was cheaper than the DD3, despite having almost as good features as the DD6. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It got dropped once, and the mode button came apart slightly, but it's only superficial damage; it doesn't affect the working of the pedal. I haven't used it to gig yet, but I think it's sturdy enough (its case is metal), although the buttons are a little fiddly. Still, pretty good. It does eat batteries, though a DC adaptor is pretty much a necessity. // 6

Overall Impression: Very good, and good value too. It has most of the delays you're going to need! If it were stolen, I would definately consider buying another, but I would want to try its rivals too to compare them! // 8

Digital Delay Reviewed by: 59bassman, on april 18, 2012

Ease of Use: Is easy to use - you just need time to experiment with all the options and find your specific levels etc. The manual is thorough and is available online if you loose yours. ONE TIP! - It can render some great results and often I find a setting I wasn't looking for! So rather than commit it to a faltering memory! I photo the settings and give the jpg file a name that represents the sound and print it and put it in a folder. This way I can re-dial up easily and quickly another time. // 9

Sound: It is not noisy and does not introduce artifacts. It can be extremely subtle to downright over the top. The great thing about this pedal is that the modulation it can provide can be trimmed to great reverb sounds too - slap back is great for that surf sound or Fender Tweed Reverb Tank emulation! BUT! The one thing I use it for - A LOT - is to STEREO two amps simultaneously by virtue of the stereo outs... This means I can elect a reverb setting for no reverb amps and run one clean and one edgy and get a great wall of sound. I do this with a Fender 57 Deluxe and a Cornford Roadhouse and get a great Fender Tweed Twin sound. If I need delay I coulple-up my Boss ME-5 to the FX loop on the Cornford amp and or can even route the ME-5 back into the DigiTech to feed both or leave delay to one amp only - options are endless due to these both offering stereo outs! * I have Boutique sound patches in my ME-5 too... See my site www.boss-pedals.jimdo.com. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Is a tank... You won't bugger this up easily! 20 mins only on 9v battery though so get a power brick. It is as durable as a Boss and many other pedals... Is more robust than the others in its price range though and there is NO PLASTIC in its construction! // 9

Overall Impression: If you want U2 and Gilmour you may find that to achieve an exact tempo you need to be creative - i.e. double-up with a further delay unit or as I do my Boss ME-5. This way you increase the range. Discussed at www.boss-pedals.jimdo.com. I keep meaning to investigate the Loop function... It intrigues me but I seem to be always busy just playing rather then twiddling! Oh yes - I GOT MINE FOR FREE! - was a DigiTech promotion and I got this and DigiTech's 'Tone Driver', 'Hot Rod' and 'Wah-Synth' FREE in same promotion in 2007... All are great pedals but I have little use for the Wah Synth in my styles and have Synths to replicate such tones (The Auto Wah is good for some circumstances...). So am very pleased! // 10

Digital Delay Reviewed by: atticus_08, on july 14, 2006

Purchased from: Kliva Ringas

Ease of Use: Well first off, it is very easy to get a get sounds out of this pedal. It actually makes my cleans a lot more sturctured. As far as editing goes, it seem like the possiblities are endless. You get 7 different delays in one, couldn't ask for to much more. The manuel explains everything you need to know. In fact, you might want to read it through so you understand all the options this little guy has to offer. // 9

Sound: I have a Gibson les paul, Fender 60th anv., and a Tom Delonge strat going to a classic Crate BV-120 to a Kustom cab. I have managed to get a great sound out of it. Its not noisy at all, no buzzing or cracking, that could be due to the adapter I bought with it, which I recommend. All 7 effects are very solid. None of them lack volume or dimension. The effect is great with distortion! I don't really use it with distortion, but when I was just messing around it really surprised me when both were engaged. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have owned my DF-7 by DigiTech for about 1 year and 1/2. So I believe that this thing will last a long time as well. It built well and would take a lot of punishment before it'd break. I wouldn't use a back up even if I had one to use. // 10

Overall Impression: I play in a band and we play shows. We are punk/emo/alternative sound, it's hard to explain. Anyways, I have no hatred toward this pedal at all. It's hard to find anything a dislike about it, even the color of it is sweet. If it were stolen I'd buy another one, or find out Who took it, rip off there arms and beat them. Overall this pedal is made to impress. // 10

Digital Delay Reviewed by: monkey_dancer, on march 04, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Getting good sounds out of this pedal is fairly easy, the controls are very simple, responsive and self-explanatory: a knob controlling the level of the delay sound, a knob which sets how long the delay repeats for, a knob controlling the speed of delay, a rotary Switch to change between the 7 modes, and a footswitch. The only difficult things to use are the loop mode and the tap-tempo function. It is difficult to time the loop properly, and that takes some practice, but not a ridiculous amount, and personally I only use it very rarely. The tap-tempo mode can be confusing, because to turn it off you need to hold down the footswitch for a certain amount of time, which only turns off the tap-tempo mode, so the delay is still on and you need to press the footswitch again to turn it off completely, meaning that is difficult to use the tap-tempo within a song. Aside from that, it's a very easy pedal to use. The manual (which can be downloaded from the DigiTech site) is very comprehensive, and contains good information about how to operate the pedal. I can't think of anything which is lacks. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal in the effects loop of my Laney VC-15, with an Ibanez S470, a DigiTech Whammy 4 and a Dunlop Crybaby 95Q going into the amp. I haven't noticed any changes to my tone when I plug this in, although I'm pretty sure it isn't true bypass. The standard delayed sounds are a little digital, verging on tinny, but the tape echo simulation mode has a nicer, warmer tone which I prefer to use. The sounds are equally good with a short slap delay or with a long delay (4 seconds maximum, which I find is simply far too long to ever use, but it's impressive). The mod delay is quite nice: the repeats have chorus added, which can sound really good with clean chords or picking, and if the time is turned to zero, actually makes a decent (usable) non-delay chorus sound. This, however, only really works with single notes or quiet chords. The reverse delay sounds very odd, but works really nicely to build up sound textures: if you turn the repeats and level up, you can slowly add to the noise, and gradually build up a massive noise, which sounds pretty cool. it's also good when put quietly, to add a little odd noise to a lead. There are no real issues with the sound, it's always clear, though sometimes the sound of the amp is not quite retained in the delay. However, for the low price, it sounds really good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't yet used this for a gig, but I would use it without a backup (and will soon). It seems perfectly solid; nothing loose, strong metal casing. I have read in other reviews that this pedal uses up batteries very fast, but I always use an adapter, as I do with all pedals, just to be safe. // 7

Overall Impression: I play in one rock/pop band, and one rock/post-punk band, and I can make this pedal fit in both bands very easily. I can't think of any extra feature that would improve this pedal at all- it has everything I need, delay-wise. I've been playing guitar for probably 5 years now, and also own a Fender BG-29 (semi-acoustic bass), a Stagg bass, a cheap strat copy guitar, a bass Overdrive pedal, a 30W SS bass combo from a starter pack sort of thing, and the stuff I mentioned earlier which I use for guitar. If the pedal got lost or was stolen, I would probably buy another, because it's cheap and has everything I need in a delay. I love the reverse delay, and use it quite a lot for solos when I don't feel like playing a tune, to make really nice layers of sound. My least favourite feature is the tap-tempo mode, as it is hard to Switch it off. When I got this, I compared it to the Boss DD-3, but that is more expensive, has less features, and in my opinion doesn't have as good sound quality. As I've said before, I can't think of any additional features which would improve this pedal (except a different system for setting up the tap-tempo mode). // 7

Digital Delay Reviewed by: matthew2010, on december 04, 2008

Ease of Use: This is a very straight forward pedal that sounds great with any style of music. It gives you a wide variety of different delays which are easily achhieved by using the "mode" knob, which ranges from 1 to 7. The manual explains what the pedal dose and gives you some presets for "tape","Chorus","Solo", and "Slapback" dealys. // 9

Sound: I use a custom built strat-style guitar, with my: crybaby wah, DS-1 Distortion, EHX Nano Clone chorus, DigiTech Turbo Flange, and my digidelay (in that order), out of a Polytone 180w combo. It works great for what I play, and it dosent cause any volume loss, or buzzing. it sounds great every time I plug in. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a very reliable pedal, built with a cast metal body and rubber bottom which keeps it from sliding around on stage. I use iton gigs without a backup all the time and I have never had a problem. If you are looking to buy one of these make sure to also plan on getting a power adapter. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of rock, hard-rock, alternative, and Grunge, and I can always find some way to fit it in. I've been playing for five years, and out of all the delay pedals I have tried, including the Boss DD-6 Digital Delay, but this one is my favorite. If it were ever stolen I would definately get another one, it has all the features I need (such as the 'loop'setting)and none that I don't. my only complaint would be the short battery life, but after getting a power adapter, it's no longer an issue. // 9

Digital Delay Reviewed by: actaderock, on july 06, 2009

Ease of Use: The sounds you can get with it are awesome, the thing is that if you see it for the first time, it will ''talk'' to you, just because it isnt that simple. // 9

Sound: I use an Epiphone SG, I have a Line 6 Spider III and as most of you know, it has a delay its self, so I use this pedal Live. As not a lot of you know, when I play Live, I take my guitar but I use whatever amp they have there, at school they have a 30W Laney, which is the one I use the most (that isnt my Line 6) and works pretty good (works better with my SG, but at a band practice I use the school's guitar which is a crappy and old Fender stratocaster). The Pedal its self has 6 modes or ''types of delay.'' I think 2 of them are really bad, but the rest of them are kickass. Well, I get that sound with my Line 6, but I use the pedal Live to make an outro with some delay, some improvised outro by me, so I don't know if I can get my favourite artist's sound. And about the effect its self, I think it's really good (the one in my Line 6 might be better, but the catch with this one is that it's a small pedal and that you can change from delay to non delay and viceversa when ever you want). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for a year now and it was a used one, I find no problems with it, so you can depend on it I guess. I've used it in gigs and will keep using it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Pop Punk, Hard Rock and Reggae, but as said before, I use it for outros and I think the outros have no genre, but my outros do sound awesome. I've been playing for 2 years and I have a crappy Acoustic, an Epiphone SG, a Line 6 Spider III and this pedal. I wouldv loved to buy a wireless system when I bought this. I wouldn't buy it again, I'd probably buy the fool effects kit and probably Line 6, just because the other guitarist in my band has it and Line 6 is kickass (and I like to test new stuff in life). What I used to hate about it is that it wasn't that simple at the beggining, but I got with it. What I love most about the delay pedal, is the Delay effect(duhhh) I didn't compare it to other products actually, I just asked the guitar center guy for the cheapest delay. Eventhough it was used, I wouldv really loved a manual and a wireless system. // 7

Digital Delay Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2011

Ease of Use: Honestly I originally bought this product just to play sweet disposition by Tempor Trap, I took it out the box with no instructions (they were not included because I bought it second hand) and I got the sound I was looking for within 10 minutes, it is very simple to use and I use this similar tone to Gig, however there are some settings such as the mod delay and the loop that I can't get my head around without an instruction manual. // 8

Sound: I play an Epiphone Dot and my amp is an 80w solid state marshall, the delay effect is so strong with the delay level on full, gives the guitar sound from The Editors and U2, I turn the distortion up full on a clean channel and I do get a noisy tone but that's what I go for, if you don't like that you can turn the delay level down on the pedal and you wont have that problem at all, like I said the loop is tricky to get my head around and I never use it live because its too risky for my liking. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I now have a 9v power cable to power this pedal as the battery input broke, to put the battery in you need to take the top on the pedal off its a very impractical place for it to go, one of my band members has the DigiTech Bad Monkey and he had the same problem and now has to use a power cable too. To be honest, compare to the Bad Monkeythis pedal drains batteries so fast anyway your better off having a 9v cable, I learned that the hard way playing a gig it was a nightmare, but if you have a cable then there is no problems with this pedal its a sturdy little thing. // 7

Overall Impression: Its great for post punk/U2 atmospheric kind of sounds, I bought it december 2010 and its complately changed my bands sound and it really brings out your creative side if your into writing your own music, don't bother with batteries for this pedal you'll just get annoyed with it go for the power cable. If I lost this pedal I would have to buy another one I wouldn't even try any other types I love this pedal's sound and I wouldn't exchange it for any other pedal. // 9

Digital Delay Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 13, 2011

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to use, that is for a delay pedal, which can be a little tricky if you don't have experience. I'm able to get all the sounds I want out of it. It has 7 delay types, most of which I don't use. But all are done well. Simple in that it has the standard 3 knobs a delay pedal should have (time, level and repeats)plus one to select the delay type. One of those types is a loop, that allows you to record 4 seconds of delay and play over it as a separate instrument. // 10

Sound: Sounds very clean not noisy, you can notice it's on and obviously it's going to make your sound more digital, but isn't that the point of getting a digital delay? My favorite sounds are the tape echo and the longer digital ones, especially the one that adds chorus. And the loop is useful for doing spacy intros. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems as sturdy as any Boss pedal, which means it can pretty much stand nuclear war. Never had one of those break on me and I don't see why this would. For playing live this would be perfect, except I'd try to do that with a power supply since the battery doesn't last very long at all. I'm discounting slightly for the battery issue, although it's not this particular pedal. That goes for any delay stompbox. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm able to reproduce any delay sound I want with this and several I don't need, all easily unlike most delays found in multi-effects that are much harder to set the time. Here it's just a twist of a knob. In general I can't think of much this pedal is lacking at all. It's simple, sounds good and fulfills the delay sound very well. // 9

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Hyper Phase Stereo Phaser 8.5 Guitar Effects 05/29/2014