DigiVerb Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 05/14/2015 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: DigiVerb
The DigiTech XDV DigiVerb is very easy to use; it's controls are intuitive. There are four knobs, all of which are self-explanatory: "Level", "Tone", "Decay", and "Type". It is failry easy to achieve the sound you desire.
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 6.9
 7.4
 6.3
reviews (2) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
DigiVerb Reviewed by: toyboxmonster, on march 16, 2009

Price paid: C$ 129

Purchased from: Lauzon Music

Ease of Use: The DigiTech XDV Digiverb is very easy to use; it's controls are intuitive. There are four knobs, all of which are self-explanatory: "Level" increases the amount of reverb, "Tone" allows you to control the amount of bass & treble, "Decay" is used to adjust the length of reverb trail, and "Type" lets you select the type of reverb you want. It is failry easy to achieve the sound you desire; however, not all of the delay types are useable. The manual offers four examples of the sounds that can be achieved, but don't restrict yourself to these, as they are all fairly dull and very Also, it is important to note that this pedal is best used in conjunction with a delay (more on this later). // 9

Sound: I've used the Digiverb with batteries and with a couple of different adaptors (one DigiTech and one Danelectro) and have never noticed enough nosie to be bothered by it. I've used it with a Fender Telecaster and with a Fender Jaguar. It responds well to both single-coils and humbuckers. There are seven different reverb types available: Room, Plate, Hall, Church, Gated, Reverse, and Spring. The Room reverb is, to me, essentially useless. It is such a subtle effect that there is very little difference between a dry signal and one with Room reverb. I'm not entirely clear as to what a Plate reverb is supposed to sound like, but this one sounds very pleasant and adds a touch of sweetness to your sound. I find it's best used with the tone knob past 12 o'clock. Hall and Church are my favourite. Hall is perfect to get propelling lead tones (and would be the best choice for rock/hard rock players), and Church is great for ominous droning. With the tone knob set around 9 o'clock and the right fuzz, Church reverb sounds organic and menacing. I don't really understand the point of Gated reverb. It sounds very fake and synthetic to me. It isn't an effect I think I'll ever use. The Spring reverb is completely unuseable. The fake spring pops are frustrating and ruin what is essentioally a very organinc sound. Now for the Reverse. Finding a stompbox with this effect is a difficult task, and while it doesn't have the quality of rackmount reverbs, the Reverse will do the job. It sounds thin but not tinny, which sounds very sweet and fragile with a small amount of delay. The manual suggests running the Decay at full and the Level just past 12 o'clock when using reverse. Ignore this. For best results with the Reverse reverb, run the level at full, then adjust the decay as desired. Apart from when using the Reverse, I tend to avoid setting the Level knob to full because of the volume drop, but unless you plan on turning on the reverb halfway through a song, this shouldn't pose a problem. Theonly realy problem is that when the Level is very high, there is a slight delay in sound that I imagine causes great irritation, but when used in conjunction with a dela pedal, this is eliminated. This is probably the most versatile reverb attainable in this price range, but it would be nice to have a useable Spring reverb. // 8

Reliability & Durability: There are obvious flaws in the desing of DigiTech stompboxes in general, and the DigiTech Digiverb is not immune to these. First off, the battery compartment under the foot plate is a terrible idea. I don't like knowing how little holds that plate in place. Also, the tiny metal buttons that are pushed in to release the plate are flimsy and count easily be lost. My advice is not to use this thing with batteries. Buy an adaptor and you will be spared much grief. The activation mechanism consists of a small flimsy plastic rectangle underneath the foot plate, and it feels like it could pop off any minute. If used with care (and without batteries) the XDV will undoubtedly last, but if you plan on kicking it around, make sure to bring spares. // 5

Overall Impression: I play ambient music that relies heavily on delay and reverb effects, and this has been very useful in developing new sounds. It was demoed extensively for me before I bought it and I was impressed enough to choose it over other reverbs. The presence of a Reverse reverb alone was enough to convince me to buy it. I do wish there were a "garage" setting (as there is on some DigiTech multi-effects processors) instead of the room. Once again, it would be nice to have a decent Spring reverb model, but all in all, this works fine for my purposes. The only real issue is it's durability. // 7

DigiVerb Reviewed by: guitarsngear, on may 14, 2015

Price paid: C$ 60

Purchased from: Kijiji

Ease of Use: The pedal is pretty straight forward, 4 knobs, choose your verb type, the decay - or amount of reverb you want, EQ to taste and set the Level (mix of dry/wet signal) and you are good to go. The only issue I had with using this pedal at first was getting the level to where there was no volume drop, once I figured the range out I just stayed out of the volume drop area and tweaked everything else. The cabinet emulation takes a bit of effort to engage as well especially in a board setup but I don't really make use of it. // 8

Sound: This pedal provides a nice clean reverb to add to your sound with 7 types to choose from, although some are better than others. With the EQ you can dial in a warm or cool reverb to compliment your sound, but if you put the level (which is the mix control) past noon you start to get a noticeable volume drop in your signal. So if you want a really wet singal i.e. above half way mix, you are going to have to deal with a volume drop. With the decay control, and depending on which reverb type you have selected, you can get either a small fairly tight reverb or a larger resonating and spacious reverb. Of the reverb types, Plate, Hall and Church are my favourites giving a nice range of verbs good for chording to lush and airy for single note runs or ambient droning. The room is ok, but I find even on max decay the "room" is still too small, Gated also sounds fine but I don't like the hard stop gate feature. Reverse is available if you want some more "out there" sounds but isn't my cup of tea. Finally we get to the spring, in my opinion this is the weakest setting on the pedal that I personally find unusable, but I am not a big spring guy to begin with, but it just doesn't sound good to me, the spring pops are irritating beyond belief. If I was only grading on the verbs I like it would be a 8.5 but to include all of the settings on the pedal it goes down to a 7. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Build quality is solid metal box so you don't have to baby it. Haven't had any issues with construction quality with mine yet. The back of the pedal has a nice rubber pad on it to provide good grip and stability under your foot. The control knobs have a nice fluid feel to them, smooth but not loose and the Type control has notched levels so you click into the verb types and don't have to guess on the dial. The weakest part of the pedal is probably the little activation switch that the pedal pushes down to activate the effect. // 7

Overall Impression: A solid pedal that can deliver some nice sounding reverbs with good features but falls short of its full potential. As I mentioned above the some of the verbs sound great, some don't and some just didn't seem to have great functionality. In addition to the reverbs you also get stereo operation and it also has an optional cabinet emulation circuit for direct recording or plugging into a PA which sounds nice. For the full price I think it's a maybe, but if you can find it used I think its a definite buy. // 8

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ 2112 Studio Guitar System 9.5 Guitar Effects 02/24/2015