Eric Clapton Crossroads Review

8.8
 7.6
reviews (3) 23 comments vote for this gear:
Eric Clapton Crossroads Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 06, 2007

Ease of Use: The DigiTech Eric Clapton Crossroads pedal is laid out simply: knobs for Level, Control 1, Control 2, and Model. It has an output jack designed to plug into an amp, and another designed to feed a mixer/PA or recording input. Both can be used simultaneously, eliminating the need to mic your amp in a Live performance situation. The Control knobs have different functions depending on which model is selected; Control 1 is Gain and Control 2 is Tone on most of the models. It would be a good idea to have the manual handy until you're more familiar with the pedal's settings. // 8

Sound: DigiTech's Production Modeling technology is designed to model not only the amplifier, but the other facets of the recording process as well, e.g., the microphone, preamp, mixing board, etc. Clapton's early "woman tone" is one of the most recognizable in rock music, but I felt that the Crossroads pedal fell a bit short on that. Granted, a microchip will never fully replicate the interaction between a guitar and amp, but I have heard better tones out of these types of pedals. The "Badge" setting, however, was very spacious, and the Leslie rotating speaker effect was spot-on. The "Layla" model was much closer to that song's recorded sound, and the "Layla Unplugged" acoustic simulator was also impressive. I must point out that Clapton did not have the benefit of "Production Modeling" technology when he recorded his classic tones -- he set his amp the way he liked it, and the tone was colored somewhat by the rest of the recording process. Many young players today mistakenly try to replicate the recorded tone of their guitar heroes, not realizing that standing in the room with Clapton's amp rig would sound much different than the tone that ended up on the record. Also, I am a bit puzzled that no wah capability was included with this pedal, like with the Hendrix one. Wah was an important part of many of Clapton's most popular songs. Why not add a wah or two? // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is a brand-new pedal, but I have a great deal of experience with DigiTech gear. Their pedals are built very well, and you can expect many years of trouble-free use from it. // 8

Overall Impression: I just can't get that excited about the Crossroads pedal. After having so much fun with the Brian May Red Special pedal last week, this one pales a bit in comparison. Eric Clapton is no less important a player, and he has some unbelievably cool tones on tape, but the Crossroads pedal doesn't offer much that's new. Most of the tones odeled on this pedal can be achieved with an Overdrive pedal. To me, the real strength of this concept is for silent recording. If you're trying to demo an idea in an environment that is not volume-friendly, this is just the ticket. Plug it into your recorder and you're ready to go. // 7

Eric Clapton Crossroads Reviewed by: willwelsh816, on december 16, 2008

Purchased from: Guitar Center Online

Ease of Use: This pedal gets it's tones adequately and there is nothing wrong with any of the tones. The manual explains that all the tones are achived at the 12 o clock position, which is not exactly right. There is a volume knob, two control knobs, and an effect knob. The knobs are fine, and do not need to be greased, unlike the pedals I've ordered in the past from Boss. // 8

Sound: I use this with my modded Gemni-PA-700 system, and it sounds perfect. When I tried this with my Frontman, the sound was harsh and not very good. I know that this pedal is acually supposed to be in an effects loop, but I have no amp with one, so I lucked out on that. The only noisy effect is the Derek and the Dominoes setting, and the Crossroads setting, but those are high gain effects, so that is expected. None of the effects are weak, but some are a little off. The Woman Tone setting can easily be reached with an Overdrive pedal, but it is a little better than any other. The most popular setting for me is the Badge Setting and the Unplugged setting. The Unplugged setting acually sounds more pleasing than my REAL acoustic. The Badge setting sounds like a Shin-Ei Univibe because it's goal is the same as the Univibe. Both are made to replicate a leslie organ speaker. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can easily depend on this, and I would definately gig with it without a beackup, as I already have. I used it in my school christmas concert to play Happy Xmas by John Lennon. I also play in Jazz Band, and I use the Reptile setting and the Badge setting.It is built like a sherman tank, like most DigiTech pedals. No problems there. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues mostly, which sounds great with the any setting with reverb, and I've been playing for 5 years, and I play it through my Gemni and my Mexistrat. I would definately buy another one if this was lost or stolen. I love that it has a carrying case and I hate that I had to wait so long to get it. I compared it's Overdrive tones with my Fuzz Face, and these tones are perfect. I normally use the Fuzz Face to boost during solos. I wish it had the tone from the Beano Album, very very very very very badly! // 9

Eric Clapton Crossroads Reviewed by: Heiser42, on april 15, 2009

Ease of Use: This is a pretty simple pedal. It has 4 knobs across the top of the pedal. From left to right, we have a Level knob, which essentially controls the volume of each effect. Two Control knobs, numbered respectively. And finally there's a 7 setting Model knob, which lets you select one of the 7 signature Clapton tones that this pedal provides you. The first setting is the famous Woman Tone from Sunshine of Your Love, second is a nice blusey tone, modeled after Crossroads. Third is a rotating speaker sort of vibrato effect modeled after the bridge part of the song Badge. Fourth is my favorite setting, a surprisingly heavy tone from Layla with Derek & the Dominoes. Fifth is a nice Overdrive like setting from the song Lay Down Sall. Sixth is a very nice but bassy Acoustic simulator setting. Finally, Seventh is a softer tone from the song Reptile, modeled after a Gibson L-5 jazz guitar. Basically, models 1, 2, 4 and 5 are pretty good for heavier songs and blues while 3, 6 and 7 are more suitable for softer rock songs. Really easy pedal for just about any kind of rock you plan on playing. // 10

Sound: Since I'm an amatuer guitar player, I only have a basic Peavey 15 watt amp. Even through this small amp, the pedal sounds great! I have played a Stratocaster and a Tony Iommi SG through the pedal, two guitars clapton was known for, and they sound just like the Original records. I also usually play with the level at about 9 o'clock and both control knobs all the way up. Each model never ceases to amaze me. The only model I'm not too keen on is the Acoustic one, since it is very bassy and is kinda tough to work that problem out. I can play anything from Zeppelin to Kyuss to Pink Floyd to Metallica with this pedal, especially on Model 4. Overall distortion settings on it are very good. They're thick when you want them to be thick, and can be very dry and crunchy as well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Since the pedal is nice and hard with very good construction to it, I can definatley depend on this pedal. Since it's so versatile, I pretty much don't need a backup. The only thing this pedal cant't do is a wah or a flange but other than that, you really don't need too many other pedals when you have this one. Also, a nice thing about it is that the bottom of the pedal has a kind of rubber coating which stops it from sliding around and does a good job of keeping it in one place. // 10

Overall Impression: Since I play most types of rock like hard 70's, metal, Grunge, punk and british 60's and blues, this pedal certainly gets the job done and does it well. I've been playing about 3 years and am self taught. If I got this stolen, I would definatley buy it again! It's basically like an expensive processor that can perform many sounds, but put into a nice compact super-pedal. I absolutely love this pedal, and the only other pedals I'll need besides this is a wah pedal. The only thing that gets me is the Acoustic setting but besides that, this edal is amazing. My favorite feature is the 4th model. Like I said, overall, I love this and I certainly reccomend it to anyone looking for a nice, versitale, cheap multi process pedal. // 10

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ RP1000 5.7 Guitar Effects 12/17/2013