EX7 Expression Factory Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 04/09/2012 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: EX7 Expression Factory
Introducing Expression Factory, the pedal that lets you modulate a whole pedal board of classic expression models. From Wah and Whammy to models of effects like the A/DA Flanger and our own highly collectable Space Station Synth Swell.
 Ease of Use: 8.8
 8.2
 7.3
reviews (5) pictures (3) 27 comments vote for this gear:
EX7 Expression Factory Reviewed by: SystemLz4life, on april 25, 2006

Ease of Use: For the EX7, it's really easy to get a good and decent sound out of the pedal, but it is sort of confusing at first. I've had this pedal and only had to use the manual for the first couple of days that I've had it. Although, it is pretty tough to get the pedal to switch from clean mode to distortion model, you practically have to pound on it with your foot. // 8

Sound: I am currently running this pedal through my Schecter C1 Elite and my Marshall MG100DFX. I am also using the pedals clean set up and turning the distortion on my Marshall, which gives it a very thick and heavy sound. On the EX7, there are 7 effects. You have the Dunlop wah, the Vox wah, the synthesizer, the whammy, the univibe, the rotary speaker and the flanger. I'm gonna go ahead and review all of these effects: Dunlop Crybaby Wah - this effect is pretty decent on the pedal, except for the Wah footpedal gets kinda squeaky. This sounds great with a lot of distortion I think, especially if you wanna play Zakk Wylde stuff, Metallica and Guns N' Roses stuff. You can also use the clean mode to sound like Rage Against The Machine. Vox Wah - this effect sounds a lot like the Crybaby, but not as intense with distortion. For this pedal you can play this like Steve Vai and Jimi Hendrix. This pedal is mainly for clean tones. DigiTech XP300 Synthesizer - this effect is probably the effect I use the least on the pedal, just because it is slow and gives a wierd tone. This is a good pedal for an intense Intro to a rock song. Whammy - I love using this effect because it is so versatile. I love using this pedal to play Rage Against The Machine songs, and I finally got the tone to match Tom Morrello's. Great Effect. Univibe - this effect gives off a pretty original tone, which I like. I'm not really sure what kind of things to play with this pedal, but if the song is boring you can sure liven it up with this effect. Rotary Speaker - this one sounds a lot like the uni-vibe, but I have never used this effect on an amp with more than one speaker so ill have to get back to you on this. Flanger - of course, a multi-effect pedal wouldnt be complete without the Flanger. This gives out a very nice tone, and you can control the rotations from really slow to really fast, this pedal is good for pretty much any song with a Flange. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is pretty reliable, I have never used it on a gig, but I will eventually. I havent had a problem with it other than the squekyness, which can be fixed by some oil or something. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the first multi-effect pedal I have ever bought, and it keeps me busy, I have never been bored with this pedal. I have been playing for about 2 years and I thought it was about time to get one of these babies, and I was reccomended by Guitar Center to pick one up. I love pretty much all the effects on the pedal, they are all unique and original. The only negative thing I would say about the pedal is that it's hard to turn off and on, and switch from clean to distortion. The pedal kicks ass, that's pretty much my overall impression! // 9

EX7 Expression Factory Reviewed by: moody07747, on august 14, 2007

Ease of Use: This unit is a little hard to use at first but nothing compared to a lot of the other multi FX units out there today. You get 4 knobs, 3 of which are dual control. Adjusting them is nowhere close to hard. The pedal has a nice sweep but here are some mechanical things I didn't like about the pedal and went on fixing myself. The heel and toe switches are hard to push. I almost had to stand on the pedal to get it to Switch. I found that there were a lot of rubber feed under the board and so a little shaving with a razer fixed that problem. I also didn't like the amount of drag set on the foot board but it was easy to fix with two ratchet sets. It takes some time to remember what the three adjustment knobs do for each mode and what mode is which effect but after about a week you should have that down. If you ever get stuck the instructions were extremely helpful to me and seem clear enough that it would help anyone Who uses or owns this pedal. // 8

Sound: I'm using a cheap PRS SE EG from musicians friend and it sounds ok but adding this EX7 has really helped the sound of my guitar out, even though I'm still using cheap pickups. The amount of adjustment for the sound is great. You can adjust sweep, Q, and Volume of the wah and then when you get the distortion turned on you can adjust the volume, tone and gain on that distortion. All the distortion and amp models in this pedal sound amazing. It's a huge plus that you get all the distortion models from the DF7. My only grudge is you can't just use the distortion alone, it has to be on with an effect from the EX7 but you can set the pedal to Whammy and use it with just distortion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is extremely reliable and durable. I have been using this product in my recording studio for 4 months now and have yet to have any problems with it. It is so reliable that I would not take a second with me on a gig. The knobs have been adjusted many times now and don't get that scratchy sound like most pedals do. The input and output jacks are holding up without any problem. The paint looks great and has held up to a lot of scratches, and the rubber at the top and bottom of the pedal is staying in place without any problems. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all styles of music and this pedal fits that easily. You can play everything from metal to jazz. I have been playing for over a year now and run this with a Yamaha Magicstomp. The two units make a great couple which I use to record in my home studio. If this item was stolen I probably would not bother getting another. I currently have my eye on the Boss GT8 board which would have the Vox wah that I use so much. // 9

EX7 Expression Factory Reviewed by: ShaneCallaghan, on may 25, 2011

Price paid: € 230

Purchased from: Reynolds Music Letterkenny

Ease of Use: All the patches have been listed, so I'm not gonna bother listing them... It's easy to get a good sound out of this pedal, all you really have to do is leave all the knobs dialed to 12 o clock and that's it, just change the patch and you're golden. The manual is great, the diagram of all the patches and what the control's do is simple and that's what you want. // 10

Sound: I am using an Epiphone 7 string les Paul with Blackouts into this, a Whammy, a Line 6 Tonecore Flanger and then into a Blackstar HT-40, it's relatively quiet in that kind of signal chain, but then again I'm in Ireland and the voltage here is shit and gives you terrible f--kin hum constantly so I can't give you a reliable answer on the "Is it noisy" question. The effects are top notch and I can't complain at all about it except for the fact that you can't use the distortion models alone unless an effect is engaged, even with the optional FS3X pedal. And this is the main reason I'm dropping it to an 8. Another note is the manual gives you settings for the likes of Tom Morrello and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I think I may have spelt Vaughn wrong there). // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank, a carbon fibre LOOOKING (not actual carbon fibre), but tank nonetheless. It's been dropped a good few times and I don't even think it's scratched. I've gigged with just this pedal alone and the footswitch pedal aswell and I don't ever think I would need a back up for this. There is a little issue I'm having with mine which is a squeaking noise when I move the treadle forward and back, I don't know how to fix it, cos it's plastic on plastic by the sounds of it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, this thing sorts out all your needs for metal, you have the Whammy for your sub/higher octave riffs off dooom, a Wah for your weird harmonic wails, the chorus for your beefier chords and of course the mad flanger to vary all your solo's from subtle to mad bastard styles. I've been playing for about 9 years now and I have dicked around with some of the pedals this thing models and even though it's not a good as the Whammyin my opinion (or the new Whammy DT, look it up on Digitechs website) the rest is damn decent, the pedal doesn't have much play, but with a light foot, this thing is excellent. Buy it, also, it does have a patch of the now unavailible, unless you're rich and search on ebay, the DigiTech XP300 synth pedal. I tell ya, that is one cool sounding patch. If it were nicked, I would buy another, eventually but I'm kinda poor right now. // 9

EX7 Expression Factory Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 18, 2006

Ease of Use: Although the distortion can be a bit touchy, this pedal is pretty easy to get some good tones after you play with it for a little while. The manual is pretty good at describing how to get good sounds out of this pedal, but doesnt't give distortion setting examples, which would be helpful. Overall, pretty simple, not easy, simple to use, and can acheive great tones. // 9

Sound: I'm using this pedal with an Ibanez GRX from the beginners package, and it still sounds pretty good through the pedal. The pedal can get noisy if you have too much of everything going at once, but play with the settings, and you'll get a feel for it. The effects sound great, and the distortion the same. I haven't played enough to get too many 'artist sounds', but you can get a very accurate "Purple Haze" tone using the Leslie with EH Big Muff Pi. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is solid. Extremely durable metal chassis, and no slip grips, good for stage play. There is only one reason I wouldn't bring this on a gig, and it's because you can only use 1 distortion model and 1 effect at a time, and it's hard to switch them on the fly. Supposedly the available footswitch will help with that, but if I had the money, I would get the DF7 Distortion Factory, and the effects I want seperately for stage play. // 8

Overall Impression: This is definately a good pedal for what I play (rock, metal, grunge, thrash, and a little blues). I would replace this product if it was stolen within a week. The only thing I wish it had was the footswitch with the pedal instead of seperate, or possibly even a floorboard style of this pedal. All in all, I like it a lot. // 9

EX7 Expression Factory Reviewed by: REDisturbed157, on april 09, 2012

Ease of Use: It's a bit difficult to get a good sound out of the pedal. But it is possible. The manual does a fantastic job of explaining the material although you have to read through it several times to get the information down. There is no firmware upgrade available. // 9

Sound: I ran this pedal through a Roland Cube 20XL amplifier with a Squier Bullet strat. The pedal can be extremely noisy if you turn the distortion models on. You MUST HAVE A NOISE GATE OR YOUR NEIGHBORS WILL BEAT YOU OVER THE HEAD. There is so much hum going through the amp, you won't believe it. The expression effect models are not weak, but the distortion models are not that great considering the amount of versatility in the adjustable parameters for the distortion models. You can get the sounds of your favorite artists with the tweak of a few knobs. The Clyde McCoy allows you to play Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and even some Skillet. The modulation effects work very well, I absolutely love the flanger and the space station models as well as the Wah effects. They both fit my style of playing very well. I don't use the distortion models because they are too noisy without the noise gate. The threshold has to be up all the way to make sure things go well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The pedal itself, as rich in sound as it is, is very durable. I would use this pedal in a gig with no backup. The pedal has a Solid Metal chassis that can stand up to anything you throw at it. There has been no other pedal from which I've seen anything tougher. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of Christian alternative metal and I absolutely love this pedal's features. I can get the Clyde McCoy Wah fired up and start to play some stuff from Skillet, the Cry Baby for some Disturbed, the flanger for various artist work and much much more. I have been jamming for almost 2 years now and will hopefully never buy another expression pedal except for having the one that comes on board a multi-effects processor. If this things gets jacked, I will beat the person over the head 'til I got it back. There only problem I have with it is the distortion, there's too much noise going through the amp with them enabled. I don't compare it with a lot of other products because it has a lot of features that other expression pedals don't have. This pedal would be better if it had the modulation effects the DigiTech RP processors have. // 10

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Hyper Phase Stereo Phaser 8.5 Guitar Effects 05/29/2014