GNX1 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 10/16/2007 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: GNX1
The GNX1 provides several of the most popular amp models and speaker cabinets to choose from the tools and technology to ?warp? the characteristics of these components together into your own ?Hypermodel?.
 Ease of Use: 8.6
 7.8
 8.9
 6.7
reviews (7) 6 comments vote for this gear:
GNX1 Reviewed by: neuroplay.com, on february 10, 2004

Purchased from: Lockport Music Center

Ease of Use: It's exetremely easy to get the perfect sound. You can get millions of sounds. There are so many effects and distorion models, acoustic simulators, amp models, cabinet models, and every other aspect. Everything complements your sound and makes it sound even better than it already does. If it doesn't sound good, this will make it sound good. Everytime I plug it in I hit a chord and savor the sweet tone and rich, fat, and deep sound (my favorite distortion) but whatever you like is what you'll hear when you turned this on. If you have an idea in your head for a great effect or tone you can create it with this. // 10

Sound: I used a variety of guitars and amps with this and was satisfied with everyone! guitars -(my very own custom) Ibanez RG321 left-handed -Austin ERA Special left-handed -First Act HBS -Ovation (doesn't say name on it) -Fender Squier Strat amps -Marshall AVT150 -Marshall G15MS -Danelectro Dirty 30 -Fender 15R frontman I tried every guitar with every amp. All sounded great. Everyonce in a while I got a "pffh" because my chord came loose, I hit it too hard (I use 2mm picks) or I was on the wrong pickup setting. The good thing about the GNX1 is that you have a pickup simulator that changes your Humbuckers to Single coils and the other way around (digitally not literally). It also has Wah, Pickup Simulation, Compression, Whammy, Intelligent Pitch Shifting, 3-band EQ with selectable mid and high frequencies, Noise Gate, Chorus, Flanger, Triggered Flanger, Phaser, Triggered Phaser, Tremolo, Panner, Rotary Speaker, Vibrato, YaYa, AutoYa, SynthTalk, Envelope Filter, Detuner, Pitch Shifter, Mono Delay, Analog Delay, Ping Pong Delay, Analog Pong Delay, and several different types of Reverb. It also has a "Learn-A-Lick" feature, which records up to 9 seconds of a selected song and position and slows it down to 7/8,6/8,5/8,1/2,3/4, or 1/4 it's original speed without shifting pitches. It's a great way to learn speedy solos and to decode those multiple effect sequences. You can make all of your favorite artists' tones and sounds. It has a built in drum Machine and a MIDI input/thru channel so you can download effects off the internet straight into the Machine. All the effects are clean and you can hear them to the exact extent of what you set them as. It has dual outputs, a stress release, MIDI in/through, and someother wholes in the back. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I take this everywhere with me and it goes through a lot. It's definitely durable. The wah pedal was disbled or broken when my brother (1 and a half years old) broke in my room and messed with it so I can't say much there. Dr. Pepper was spilt right on the part where the circuitry is, but it's built so tight, strong, and compact that it didn't seep in and destoy or mess with anything. I would take this one stage as I have. You don't need any backup pedals so throw them all away. Or sell them. The only thing wrong is the small solection of pedal space. There are 3 footswitches and if you're playing a song that needs more effects I would recommend the GNX2, 3, or 4. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from acoustic emo stuff to hard core Shadows Fall and everything inbetween (except punk) and everything I play is complemented and improved by this marvelous pedal. It matched every style of playing and everytone. Every distortion and makes every night ring out. There are 16 amp models and 16 cabinet models with cabinet tuning and GeNetX technology so you can create a mix of every type of amp. You can add all the amps together and warp them to create you own tone and then warp that to another similar or completely different amp model. If I ever lost this pedal I would have to go out and buy another. If it was stolen I would find that person and kill them for stealing something so valuable. I love everything about this pedal, I wouldn't trade it for any other pedal, except maybe the higher versions. I just wish it had a little more pedals but that's my fault for not buying one of the other GNX's. // 10

GNX1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2005

Purchased from: RRR Guitar, Lemoyne,PA

Ease of Use: The GNX1-GNX4 are the best effects pedals out there. My reason for saying this is the fact that they have an internal drum kit, a jam track for inserting your cd player. This function allows you to play along with the song and slow it down. You can make your own sound and have fun while jammin'. Rock out with my cock out! // 10

Sound: Great sound. Some effects like the synth and the acoustics are low but the kobb and Eric J are kick ass. Nobody could pull of something like this except DigiTech. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Will last forever. // 10

Overall Impression: I will stick with DigiTech for the rest of my life. I play all styles of music and if you want your death metal/rock/ska/blues/jazz/emo/nirvana type s--t, then stick with DigiTech and try to put emotion into your music. It really helps! // 10

GNX1 Reviewed by: Mistaa Man, on october 16, 2007

Purchased from: MusicStop

Ease of Use: Great pedal to use. It does take a little bit of practise to learn how it works and how to edit everything, etc. but it is very easy to get a good sound from it, there's an EQ, different modes of distortion, delay, chorus, etc. Honestly I didn't really take time to actually read the manual, but it looks pretty good & helpful from what I saw. I am pretty sure my pedal has not been upgraded, as I have bought it used, the only thing changed was the patch settings, but, you can change them to how you like. // 8

Sound: Kustom 100 Watt (Bass & Guitar) Amp, B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Edition guitar. The only noise I really seem to be getting is on setting number one "hybrid." But I think you only seem to mostly get that with guitars the have the single coil pickups (Yes, I but in my bass to that too, was really noisy) but if you have humbuckers & double coils then noise will be reduced. Certain effects can sound weak at times, depending on your EQ's on amp and pedal, or your guitar tone, even the output level of everything. They can't always sound great, but, most of the time they do. It is very easy to get good sound out of favorite artists, my favorites are Boston, Metallica, Dream Theatre, and Scorpions. The effects all depend on HOW you set them, not just what effect it is, also, what gear (amps, guitars) you have it with. So certain effects can be very bad, in the middle, and very good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp for sure, it is a pretty heavy pedal but it seems to be pretty strong, as I have dropped it on the floor a few times (I am clumbsy sometimes.) The wah pedal built in moves easily, and that too, seems to be pretty durable, as long as your not totally reckless with it. I would gig it without a backup for sure, as long as I had extension cords to make sure it reaches where I am standing with the guitar. The only thing that ever seemed to go wrong, or, maybe, right, I am not quite sure, but: I used to be able to use the wah pedal without having to go the settings and select "wah on/wah off." Instead, I could just push it right up, put a bit of pressure on it and push forward, and then it would automatically turn the wah on or off. But, it doesn't do that anymore which sucks. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of heavy metal, hard rock, progressive rock/metal, and rock. This is a definite match to the music I play, it sounds great, and, you can even get some acoustic sounds on the pedal if you set it up right. I have been playing for just about two years now, I have a lot of exp. with pedals, guitars, bands, etc. And I am a pretty good guitarist, I have an ION guitar (I think it is a starter kit), a Peavey Milestone III Bass, and a Fender Gemini II acoustic guitar, and soon to be, an Epiphone Les Paul. The only thing I wish I had asked is "How do you change the alternate amp setting on the patches, like, when the light goes from red, to green, or yellow on some settings, etc." I would buy a GNX4 probably instead of this if this one got stolen, because I love this one, so the more recent versions must be better, especially going by some reviews I looked at. Compared to the Boss Metalcore, A lot better, a lot less noisy, more settings etc, and same with compared to the DigiTech Death Metal, but the Death Metal is a great pedal. And the DigiTech company is a lot better than Boss, Zoom, etc. I wish it had included an extension cord to make it go out farther. // 10

GNX1 Reviewed by: James_M_Hendrix, on december 02, 2005

Purchased from: Brandolino

Ease of Use: It's easy to get the sound you want out of it. Editing is really easy too. The manual is kind of useless becouse the Processor is Self explanatory. Mine has the stock Firmwire version. // 8

Sound: I use a Fender Strat or an Epi SG for a guitar with it. I use a Fender Pro Junior tube amp or a Beghrigher Ultratwin 210 with it. Some of the effects are kind of weak but mostly all of them are good. The only effect I think is weak is the tremelo. The best preset I can Find on this pedal is the solo Preset. It can get that Zakk Wylde dirty tone. The distortions on this pedal are great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal for anything. I use this and a Boss Compression Sustainer at every gig I play. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and blues and this pedal can match anything I polay. I have been playing guitar for about 5 years now. I also use a Boss DS1 and a Marshall Govrner. If it was stollen I might upgrade to a GNX 3 or 4. I love the distortion and the delay on it. The only thing I don't like is the tremelo and the phaser on it. When I bought it I compared it to a Line 6 PODXT Live but I liked this one better. The only thing I wish this pedal had is built-in mp3 player like the GNX 3 and 4. // 9

GNX1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2006

Ease of Use: There are 49 presets. Only a handful you will ever use. Just turn it on, find a preset you like and you're away. // 7

Sound: Sounds great. I have a crap guitar and a crap amp and this really saves the day. But I've heard it on other guitars and amps and it sounds brilliant. It has a noise gate built in that sorts out the noise inthe system. It has lots of effects; Whammy, wah, ya-ya, reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, flange, vibrato, tremolo, the list goes on. Some of them can be used at the same time, the more obscure ones like yaya, chorus and phaser you have to chose one. The Whammy sounds too crap to ever use but if you have a floyd rose tremolo, why would you use it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It has never let me down in the year and a half I've had it. I even put some headphones in the input and used them as a microphone and put lots of effects on my voice. That's not advisable though. This is second hand, so it's over 3 years since it was first bought, yet it has never let me or the other guy down. // 10

Overall Impression: It has 49 presets, in sets of 3 based on genre. It has 17 amp models and 9 cabinet models aswell as a "direct" (just hear your amp with the effects). You Pick 2 of each and set the balance between them. You can save this to an amp model, there are lots of empty slots. Once you have the perfect sound, you can save it over a factory preset. There are no empty slots for the overall setup, which is annoying. When you're gigging, you can get the right sound for every song you have planned, backup the factory presets to your PC with the MIDI cable, save over the presets, then you can switch between your customised presets in the push of one button on stage. That's what makes multieffects processors so great and this is no exception. It also has 2 outputs so you can output to 2 amps or recording devises (L & R). It's just like the others in the GNX series, but with a couple fewer presets, no drum Machine and no digital 4-track. It has the same sound quality and works in the same way. // 10

GNX1 Reviewed by: Dustin_Ortiz850, on june 04, 2007

Purchased from: Neophreak

Ease of Use: It is pretty easy to get a good sound out of this thing right out of the box. Editing pathes can sometimes be a little confusing though. The manual doesn't really help much, but once you get the hang of it, It's ok. The Firmware version is 1.2 so no It hasn't been upgraded // 8

Sound: I use a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, a Epiphone SG, and an Epiphone Studio 15R. If you use the Noise gate there will be no noise. Someeffects like the Chorus are really weak but others like the delay are beautiful. I can get a really good David Guilmore sound out of the Solo Preset. I can also Get a good Vintage Hendrix Fuzz out of the fuzz preset. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I really don't use a lot of efects so I really don't depend on this that much. If it went out on me on stage I would just plug my guitar straght in to the amp. I don't have a backup efects board so I do use this without a Backup. I can't really say I trust this thing to last for years to come, but for now it works for my style of music. I just wish it wasn't plastic footswitches. // 5

Overall Impression: I play a lot of classic rock/classic metal, so this thing matches me ok. I have been playing guitar a little under 6 years. This is the only effects board I own. I wish I would have asked what this board sounded like before I Bought it. If it were lost or Stolen I would probobly just move on without it and plug my guitar straight in to my amp. I love the delay, but I hate the chorus, flanger, and Phaser. They just sound really lo quality. My favorite feature is probobly the Delay controlls. I wish It had a Better selection of effets. // 6

GNX1 Reviewed by: Jonjy2, on august 18, 2007

Ease of Use: I got this product used from Guitar Center. There was no manual with it. I had to download it off the internet. But I read through parts of the manual and it really helped me. One thing that is really cool is that you can create presets without having to worry about overwriting already existing ones. There are 48 slots for Factory Presets. 48 slots for User Presets. The factory ones never change. But you can create user presets and erase them by just saving the factory ones over them. It took me a while to get used to this product but I am now very satisfied. // 9

Sound: I'm normally playing my Epiphone Les Paul Jnr > GNX1 > an old crappy Crate GX-15R. I get great sounds out of this setup though. This is my first experience with effect pedals, but I am happy. This pedal can go from heavy distortion to beautifully chorused cleans. I love it. The delay is great. The flanger is fun to use as it can go from a crazy spacey sound to a slight almost unnoticably watery sound. I play metal. (e.e. Children Of Bodom, Metallica, etc.) And this works for me well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I am not in a band currently and I haven't done any gigging. But if I was gonna play a show, I would bring the GNX1 without a backup. I did have some problems near the beginning of my "career" of using this product. It was turning off randomly. I fixed that by downloading a patch from the internet and syncing it via USB-MIDI cable (which cost some money). But it hasn't had any problems since then. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great product. If it were stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again mainly because it is kinda old and because I want to experiment with other brands of FX pedals (I'm fairly new to guitar 1 1/2 yrs). I would recommend this product to fellow guitarists. // 9

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Drop 8.2 Guitar Effects 09/26/2014