GNX3000 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 05/19/2008 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: GNX3000
Designed with both the performing and recording guitarist in mind, the GNX3000 Guitar Workstation features Component-Based Modeling for the most authentic tone you've ever experienced. Until now, critical listening has been the focus for referencing and reproducing amp models.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 9.3
 8.8
 9.3
 8.2
reviews (7) 14 comments vote for this gear:
GNX3000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 15, 2006

Purchased from: American Music Supply

Ease of Use: DigiTech's GNX3000 looks really complicated and does take a little bit to figure it out but after about 10 minutes it is really easy to use. The instruction manual is huge but you don't really have to read it to figure out how to use the GNX3000 but I still use it to look at the different amp and cabinet models and effects and what not. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a Squire Strat and a Behringer amp. It sounds freakin' incredible I can only imagine what it would sound like with a good guitar. You can get any type of sound out of this. Some of the presets aren't so good but several of them are great after tweaking them just a bit. Most of the effects are great but a couple are weak. The effect I'm most dissapointed with is the whammy pedal it is way to electronic sounding. It is also kinda hard to turn on the wah and is almost impossible to turn on while sitting but sounds good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is extremely durable and reliable. I just recently used it for a gig at it worked perfectly. this thing is built like a tank and won't move no matter what kind of surface you play it on. It is soild metal and you don't hav eto worry about hurting it. I have sevral chips in the paint on mine. It doesn't need a backup at a gig because it's alright there. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music from metal to classic rock to blues to jazz and it works with everything. I've been playing for almost four years. I have campared it to Boss's version and Line 6's version of this and this one is significantly better. If I lost it or it was stolen I would save up and replace it as soon as possible. // 10

GNX3000 Reviewed by: bamaboy769, on april 20, 2007

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: This thing is incredibly easy to use. The manual is easy to understand but you don't have to read it to work the GNX3000. I never read it but I will ocasoinaly look through it to look things up. You will not have a problem learning how to use this. It is so simple to use. // 10

Sound: I play a Gibson SG, an American Strat, and a Dimebag Razrback trhough either a Line 6 practice amp or a Crate half stack. This thing sounds incredible, but like the other two I didn't really like the sound of the wah or the Whammy Peadal. It gets great distortion but can be very clean. You can play anything with it with any set-up. I believe the guy played a gig witha berigher and Squier since he had the GNX3000 in his arsenal. Some of my biggest influences are Zeppelin, Pantera, Sabbath, CCR, SRV, Buddy Guy, Clapton, Miles Davis, Skynyrd, Hendrix, and GNR just to name a few. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can definatly depend on it. It is made of some kind of metal. Though the buttons are plastic, they're not going to break. You don't need a backup to it. I have played sevral gigs through it and it's worked fine. I have a gig in about a week I'm using it for. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 10 years. I play everything but mostly blues driven rock. If it were stolen or lost I would replace it as soon as posible. I have compared it to other products by other companies and this is a lot better. This is a great product and I urge anyone to buy this product. // 10

GNX3000 Reviewed by: ides-of-march, on february 19, 2007

Purchased from: music123

Ease of Use: I've had this pedal for about 4 months now, and I still absolutley love it. Some of the effects aren't the greatest but it is very easy to tweak them how ever you prefer. One thing that I thought might be confusing was the recording, but it took me less than 25 mins to install it and figure out how to use. And if there is anything you need to know the manual is a huge help, it has anything you could possibly need to know about how to work it. // 10

Sound: My setup includes my very sexy Epiphone Les Paul Custom and my less interesting Crate gt30. I couldn't really ask for a better sound, and you cazn pretty much play anything, although I mostly play metal. Some of the clean settings are absolutley amazing, clean actually means clean. when ur not playing anything there is a complete silence, no noise what so ever. One downfall is the wah, I agree with the guy above, it's not quite what I expected. I've spent a lot of time tweaking it and it's alright but nearly as good as if you were to buy a seperate wah pedal. The distortion in this thing unfreakinbelievable. It just sounds so good, and I also love the dimebag effect. overall a great sounding pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: For as long as I've owned it I've never had any sort of problem. I haven't played a gig using it persay, but I've played with it at my friends partys, and it always works great. It made of some sort of metal but the actual pedals platic, however that doesnt't mean there not durable. There have been many times that I've stomped pretty damn hard and it's still perfect. So overall I can defenitley depend on it, very reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: Mostly I only play metal but every now and then I like to throw in some blues or classic rock, the possibilites are endless with this pedal. I've been playing for about 3 years and I practice enormous amounts of time everyday, and this pedals just makes to so much more enjoyable. One of my most favourite features is the recording programs that come with the purchase. It is very easy to use and mixing and exporting it to a different format is also easy. other than that this pedal is extremley worth the value I paid, which is canadian, so that's pretty cheap. One thing that I wish it had was an on board reacording system like the GNX4, because everytime I want to record something I have to bring all my gear downstairs. // 10

GNX3000 Reviewed by: Karlboy, on may 19, 2008

Ease of Use: Even though at first glance this looks like a real job to get going, it really is quite user-friendly. Getting a good sound out of it is relatively easy when you know what you're doing, however if not, it'll sound like junk, which is exactly what I did. Editing patches is easy to do especially with the X-Edit software which comes with it (along with ProTracks Plus 2.2). Unfortunately, the manual is over a hundred pages long, so if you're like me in the sense that the first thing you think when you might see this is "Screw that," then you'll probably be alright with the GNX3000 regardless. Skim over it if need be, but you don't exactly need to read the manual at all. // 9

Sound: My setup varies depending on what situation I'm in, but I play a Standard Mexican Strat through it into a Marshall AVT50, a Vox Pathfinder 15R and my computer speakers. The sound you get out of it actually depends mainly on your speaker quality. However, the higher the gain you have on it, the sloppier it gets (besides the obvious, but it is way too noticeable). Also, if you're a super metal freak and you love high-gain, super-beastly tones, buy individual stompboxes. The rest of the effects are actually quite decent for a multi-effects pedal. Actually, the wah is kinda mediocre and I don't exactly enjoy listening to it. Looking on the Internet is also a great way to get your favourite artists' tones. If you're a big Rush fan like me, buy this thing, because it's perfect for stuff like that. Also, DO NOT PUT THIS DIRECTLY INTO YOUR AMP'S GUITAR INPUT, BECAUSE IT SOUNDS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE, use the FX loop or CD input instead. // 8

Reliability & Durability: One thing that definitely catches my attention is the fact that this thing is almost indestructible. Honestly, you could drop this on pavement from a good ten feet with it probably still intact and in working order (I would not recommend trying this). Regardless, it won't give out on you unless it's your fault in the first place (like kicking the power cord, try to not do that because it sucks). // 10

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music and have been playing guitar for a good 6-7 years. If it were stolen, I probably wouldn't buy another because it's a little pricey for what you're actually getting. One thing I love about it is it's versatility. Another is that it is a GREAT recording Tool. However, the only thing I actually despise about the GNX3000 is that it cuts out when changing presets or amp channels in the presets. The thing I wish it had would be better wah effects because you can really get better quality for that. If you've got the money and patience to get it working properly, I *doubt* that you will regret buying this great Tool. // 9

GNX3000 Reviewed by: allanex65, on december 18, 2007

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Tweaking the GNX3000 was peanuts because I own several multi effects units. It took me three minutes to make this baby scream. I only browsed the manual for a brief moment then cranked on it. The patches were easy to edit but I wish they put in more stompbox effects as my GFX5. // 8

Sound: I am using a Fender Twin Reverb and my guitars are a Gibson Zakk Wylde with PAF pickups (sorry not into the active thing), a Floyd Rose DSOT-2, a Fender Strat MIJ, a Kramer Striker with Lace Sensors and a no-name 24-fret guitar with EMG HZs. I observe that no matter which guitar I use, the GNX3000 handles it without any difficulty. As I have said the effects are not so great (comparing to Zoom's) but hey, DigiTech is also a good company. One thing I don't like with the GNX3000 is it's kinda trebly (using the AMP CH2 for my patches) and also the Delay effect sounds confusing sometimes so I choose to turn it off. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I never tried dropping it as I did my Zoom GFX5 (accidentally of course). It has steel casing but I don't know if it can withstand rugged handling. Judging from the steel casing, I believe it would be reliable but I still have to know it better. I won't risk going to a gig at this point without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock and I miss the sound of Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and other Hard Rock gurus with this thing. I just can't get the tone/bass balance I am trying to achieve up to this time. Maybe somebody could help me. I would say I played half my life and I'm 42 now. I would definitely buy it again for being a DigiTech product but if I only have 300 dollars in my pocket and the choice is only between a GNX3000 and a Zoom GFX5, I'll get the latter. // 8

GNX3000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2007

Ease of Use: Editing is rather straight forward, very little menu diving. Most parameters can be adjusted with one of the dials and a two way button selector to choose the parameter to edit. Some of the deeper adjustments (line out, usb out, recording volume etc) take just a little more menu diving but nothing crazy like editing an Alesis quadra synth. The pedal has three different performance modes. In one, the stomp buttons each select a patch. The switch time between patch changes is pathetic to say the least but the next mode makes it a moot point. the second mode is performance mode. In this mode every stomp button turns on/off parameters and amp channels. It is a little wordy to explain but suffice it to say that swithing patches will likely not be necessary for most applications in this mode. The third is recording mode in which the stomp buttons start and stop recoding, drums, and tempo. It is usefull but I prefer just having a band mate control that on a pc. As an audio interface it is stellar. It has a guiar input, mic input, two line inputs, two line outputs, MIDI in/out and two xlr outputs. Usb out. You will not miss the dedicated recorder of the GNX4 or GNX3. // 9

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, ltd EC200, ibanex sound gear guitar and bass. I run synths through the line ins and shure mics. The best thing is that I use all of these things with the pedal with fantastic results. The pedal is not noisy at all and has effective noise reduction options for patches with lots of gain. The effects are fantastic. The amp modelling is impressive and very flexible. My only complaint is the delay but truth be told, I just don't like delay to begin with. The stomp box emulations are dead on. I did an A/B comparison between this pedals bigg muff and an actual big muff and could not tell a differance. every pedal emulated also has the same controls as the pedal being emulated. this means that the big muff has gain, sustain, tone and volume controls. I have succesfully emulated tones from all my favoraite artists such as Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Rob Zombie, depech mode, a perfect circle, stabbing westward. // 10

Reliability & Durability: this thing is built like a tank. I feel confident using it with a backup, but I have a Zoom pedal as back up anyway. The grip on the bottom of the unit is solid and will not slip. Something a little strange is that on some patches, if you go into the tuner, the pedal will not out put until you switch to a different patch. I have grown used to it but it is irratating somethimes. // 9

Overall Impression: This thing will suite you well for any style imaginable. I would replace it ASAP if anything happened to it. I have had it for over a year and it is probably the best purchase I have made. I was torn between this unit and the Zoom GT9.1TT (sic) but I chose this one because of it's far more flexible audio interface for audio recording applications. As an audio interface alone it is worth every penny. Add incredible amp modeling and flexible effects and you have a serious winner. If I could change any one thing, it would be the time it takes to Switch patches. It really is dismall but again, with the flexible performance mode, you will hardly care. // 10

GNX3000 Reviewed by: phatsack, on december 23, 2007

Ease of Use: If you've used DigiTech modelers before, this thing is pretty easy to use. It has a graph style editing function that's tricky at first, but after tweaking a little you get the hang of it pretty quickly. The manual is very in depth and helps a lot, but most people could begin tweaking without it easily. All though this modeler is easy to use, there are a lot of functions available that, without the manual, you'd easily get lost in. But the manual is downloadable from the DigiTech website, so if you find one without a manual it's still worth the buy. // 9

Sound: I'm using this modeler with an Ibanez S370 through the "power amp in" jack on the back of a Fender Dynatouch deluxe 900 1x12. I can't stress enough how important it is to remember NOT to plug this into the front end of an amp! Always use either the FX loop's return channel, an amps power amp in jack, a P.A., or a power amp to a cab. The effects in the preset patches are a little over the top, but when the fx levels adjusted the presets are usable. I love the metal tones I get out of this and the blues and clean sounds are very good. I always use my own patches Live and stick to using presets solely for screwing around at home. It should also be noted that this modeler uses the "Audio DNA" processor, which is newer than the processors in the rest of the GNX line. So the models are supposedly more like the amp they're modeled after (I haven't played on all the amp models they sound like, but I can say that they respond well to Pick attack and volume). These processors use the same algorithms as the "Audio DNA2" chips (used in the new RP pedals), they're just not as fast, so patch changes have latency. But, when used in "stomp box mode", there is no latency at all. One of my favorite features on this modeler is the warp function. With this feature I can mix the trademark scooped sound of a Dual Rectifier with the mid growl of a JCM900 to get a full range tone. That, along with the parametric EQ, makes the tone possibilities endless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is reliable and hasn't failed me so far, but I wouldn't gig without a backup due to the reputation of DigiTech products. The only thing I would worry about is the AC adapter. It's a special kind, and if it breaks, it is not a very cheap fix ($49.00 retail). // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, but I like to mess around with a little blues or funk/jazz tones and this thing suits all styles well. Which is one reason why I like it so much, your not limited to one style of music. I have been playing guitar for 11 years and gigging for 4, and so far this has to be my favorite purchase. All the features are nice, aux in for jam along and on screen computer patch editing. It also has a Mic preamp for phantom power and can be used a recording interface via USB. Overall I give this thing a 10, and it is based on more than a year of ownership, rather than the excitement of a new purchase. I also have a song in my profile with a patch that I downloaded from the sound community on the GNX workstation forum. It is the Krank patch made by GUITAR3456, the creator of the supermods disk. It was recorded using the software that came with the GNX3000 via USB. // 10

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ RP1000 5.7 Guitar Effects 12/17/2013