Grunge Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 12/06/2011 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: Grunge
Whether it's chunky rhythm, heavy grind, or amazing sustaining leads you're after, the Grunge gets you these and everything in between.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 Ease of Use: 8.7
 8.6
 7.4
reviews (55) pictures (4) 96 comments vote for this gear:
Grunge Reviewed by: newyorkdolls138, on october 17, 2005

Ease of Use: As simple as it gets. Plug a few cables in, turn a few knobs, and boom, you are rockin'. The tones are easy to manipulate, thanks to the "Grunge" knob. This is like a gain control, but does a little bit more. Thanks to this extra knob, the Grunge is easily controled and played. The manual comes with four suggested settings, from "raw power" to "insane," these settings are good enough, but pretty generic. It seems that the "raw power" setting is based off of The Stooges song of the same name. Overall a good device. // 8

Sound: I'm using this pedal with my Crate GX-60C and my Squier Strat. This pedal is automaticly loud, but really, that's what it's for. Although, once the pedal is switched off, the amp is too quiet. Of course, a Stooges-type sound is very easy to obtain, as it is mentioned in the manual. Also, a heavy blues sound is possible, but requires a lot of messing around with the guitar and the unit itself. A Grunge sound is obviously very easy to find, as is a metal setting. Naturally, the distortion is full-on over the top madness, which, to me, is wonderful. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This unit is extremly durable. No way I would consider a back-up on stage. The entire unit is rock-solid, that's why they're called stomp boxes. Plus, it looks cool. // 9

Overall Impression: My favorite style of music is punk, but that gets boring to play, so I love playing blues, rock & roll, metal, and occasionaly jazz. This pedal is well suited for all but Jazz music. I chose the Grunge pedal because I could not decide between the "Hot Rod" and "Death Metal" pedals, from the same line of products. So I bought the one that came in-between the two. It trumps the "Hot Rod" and holds it's own against the "Death Metal." Overall, worth a buy. // 8

Grunge Reviewed by: anjayloo, on april 04, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is perhaps one of the easiest pedals to use. I didn't even need to read the directions and I figured out how to use it in less than a minute. There are 4 knobs: a loud knob (volume), two equalizer knobs (low, high), and a Grunge knob (amount of distortion). It works like many other distortion pedals. You can tell if it is on if there is a light showing. There is a battery compartment for 9 volt batteries and a input for power supply. The battery compartment is hard to open with just your fingers (try using something small like a pen). Also, on this pedal there is an input for the guitar and two out puts (one for the amp and the other for a mixer). It is quite easy to find a metal, grunge, heavy tone, but it is too heavy for most country and blues tones. If you like lots of distortion, you should get this pedal. The sustain you get from this pedal is amazing. It sounds 5 times better than the distortion on my Line 6 Spider III 15 watt combo. // 10

Sound: I use an Epiphone G-400 Deluxe and a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt combo. When I set the amp on the clean setting and turn on the pedal, it sounds awesome. However, when I try to combine the distortion of the pedal with the amp distortion I get a loud annoying humming noise. It's best if you use the pedal as your only distortion. Also, a heavy distortion sound can easily be found on this pedal. However, it's lowest distortion setting is too high for country and blues. This pedal is great for metal, emo, and hardcore players out there. // 9

Reliability & Durability: this pedal is made of solid metal and it will not break. I dropped this on the ground once and it only had a small scratch, but it still sounds fine. As for reliability, I would strongly consider using an AC adapter instead of a battery because it could drain a nine volt in 2 hours or less. // 9

Overall Impression: For heavy stuff this pedal is great. It fits perfectly into my style of playing (heavy metal, Grunge, etc). It is relatively easy to find tones like (As I Lay Dying, Underoath, Killswitch Engage, etc). I've had it for about a month now and I use it a lot. If I were to lose this product I would definitely buy another one. Overall, I love the sustain that it gives me and the heavy distortion. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: Slayer_Fan_666, on february 13, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty good overall, and you can get a good sound out of it, but it does have it's problems. The manual for it is clear and easy, and it even comes with three suggestions/presets. One of the main problems I have with it is that if you Switch it off to get a clean sound, the amp is too quiet. This pedal would be much better if the volume knob wasn't so sensitive; I mean, I have my amp on two or three, and the pedal on three, and it's just so incredibly loud. // 7

Sound: I use this pedal with my Laney 65 watt amp, and either my strat with single coils, or my sg with humbuckers. I find tht the distortion on this pedal is actually a bit too much, and that it loses too much tone. I'd rather use my Line 6 uber metal anyday, but this makes a good solo pedal, as the distortion it has a bit more crunchy and sharp. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is incredibly sturdy. I couldn't believe how heavy it was when I first got it. This was my first pedal, and it still works as if it was new. At a gig, I'd rather use my Line 6 Uber Metal, and keep this either as a spare, or for solos. But if this was my primary pedal, I wouldn't think of bringing a spare, since this thing is just so strong. // 9

Overall Impression: I play various types of metal, which makes this pedal great for me. I've been playing for about a year and a half now, and this was my first pedal. The main other effects I use are my Line 6 Uber Metal, and my DigiTech RP-80. This effect is good, but if it was lost or stolen, I don't know if I'd buy another. I think that I'd rather just buy something else. what's good about this pedal is the Grunge distortion. It just really gives you that bite that you might need sometimes. The couple of things I really don't like about this though is the sensitivity of the loud knob, and the loss of tone. // 6

Grunge Reviewed by: J.Dawg, on september 10, 2008

Ease of Use: It is really easy to get a good sound out of it. It has 4 controll knobs that let you controll loudness, how low of a pitch, how high of a pitch, and how much Grunge you want. There are no editing patches, or anything like that. The manual for it just tells you the basic stuff like how to connect it to your guitar and amp... etc. I don`t know the firmware revision number, and I don`t know if there is one. My unit has never been upgraded, except for the battery, cause it goes dead after a while. // 10

Sound: My setup is, my Gibson SG connected to my DigiTech Whammy, then from my Whammy to my DigiTech Grunge, then from my Grunge to my DigiTech Bad Monkey, then from my Bad Monkey to my Marshall amp. It`s not noisey if you have the sound balanced just right on every setting, it will sound really good. The effects are not weak, & they always sound great to me. I can kinda get the sound of my favorite artists, like Rage Against The Machine, but I need my Whammy to help me out to get more of the tone that Tom Morello`s guitar has. All of my effects I think are all very good, there is no trouble with them. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definately depend on it cause the whole unit system is made pretty good, it may not be made out of top of the line quallity, but it will last.But in a gig I would need a little backup to eigther get the right tone for the solo, or just for a whole song. // 9

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, alternative rock, heavy metal, & punk rock. This pedal is a good match for them all. I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now. I own a Gibson SG, DigiTech Whammy, DigiTech Bad Monkey, and a Marshall amp. There were some questions that I wished I asked like can the pedal work without the battery and just the power cord, & how long will the battery last in it. But I guess I answered my own questions already, cause the battery will last about 5 or more months, and the pedal cannot work without the battery, and just the power cord, cause I experimented with it. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again. I love everything about it. My favorite feature it the design of it cause of it`s silver color, and how the name of it was done. I did compare it to anothre distortion pedal, the Boss distortion, it didn`t create the same sound as the Grunge, & it wasn`t in my price range. I wish it came with a free offer that you could get two things in the store for free, and of your choise. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: jefffelker40, on september 29, 2008

Ease of Use: It isn't easy to get a good sound out of it, at least it wasn't for me, I never did actually get a good sound, no matter what I did, it was to shrill, somehow it sounds muffled, with high pitches attacking the ears via acoustic shock, not fun. The manual was vauge, and I am not aware on any patches for this, there was a nice picture book with famous guitarists who use DigiTech and think you should too, that was the most interesting this about this product. // 2

Sound: Used a g400 and a small practice amp, it isn't noisy, that's the only thing I liked about the pedal, it cuts out all the hiss, what it replaces it with is something to be desired though. I can't get the sound of anything I would like listening to, it comes close at times but allways falls short, there weren't and different effects, only distortion, small amounts and huge amounts, really shrill. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on it, it's really sturdy, but so is a brick, there is not much use for keeping either of those around, it's an expensive brick, I wouldn't use it to gig, I would be booed off the stage, I have returned it since anyway. You get what you pay for period. // 3

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music, from classic rock like zep, to cannibal corpse, to the sex pistols, I was hoping maybe this could satisfy one of those areas, but it won't even sound like Nirvana, or Alice in chains, I wish I would have just searched a little harder before buying it, I could have gotten a tube Screamer, or a blues driver. I love how it's built like a brick, I hate bricks. I did compare it too other products, chose this because it was the cheapest. // 2

Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 26, 2004

Ease of Use: As long as it's plugged in and on it's got great sound. It has a manual but anyone who's gotten passed the 2nd grade can figure it out. I dont know the firmware number and it hasnt been upgraded because its brand new. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Epiphone Goth 1958 Flying V and a Crate XT15R amplifier. It isnt noisy at all unless you turn up all four knobs to the max. And even then it has a slight hum and thats all. (keep in mind the cables your using may attribute to the noise factor.) The effects are never weak they always sound as good as they did the first time I took it out of the box. You get some great sounds out of it. Some like "Slither" by Velvet Revolver. And "I Fell Asleep On my Arm" by The Aquabats. This is a single effect pedal set for heavy grind distotion and it does its job excelently. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on it. I wouldn't even consider bringing a backup. All I would bring is an extra 9 volt battery. // 10

Overall Impression: I like rock and some metal. This pedal is the definition of rock. I've been playing almost a year now. I also own an Epiphone 1958 Flying V, a Squier Strat, a Fender 15 Frontman, and a Crate XT15R amp. There isn't anything I wish I had asked when I bought it except maybe "wheres the bathroom?" cuz I had to pee really bad when I bought it. It it were lost or stolen I'd most definitely buy another. Or I'd buy a DigiTech Death Metal: Lethal Distotion Pedal. I love evreything about it. It has pefect sound. My favorite feature is how it has such a wide range. I can set it for a little bit of distotion or enough to melt the walls and break the windows of my house. I compared it to a few Boss pedals and the DigiTech Death Metal. I chose this one because it has the exact sound I want in a pedal. Also the Death Metal was realy nice it was a really tough call but this one is $10.00 cheaper so I went with this one. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: neuroplay.com, on october 18, 2004

Purchased from: Guitar Center (Buffalo)

Ease of Use: Their's a "low" knob for the bass, a "high" knob for the treble, and a "Grunge" knob for the distortion. It's pretty easy to get a good sound, pretty much no matter what you dial in it, it gives a good soud. // 10

Sound: I use a Custom RG321 and Austin ERA special through it the most and it's in a chain with a Boss DS-1 and a GNX 1 running into a Marshall AVT150. It's virtually noiseless you can get a little hum out of it at high levels but it's none of that really loud annoying buzzing. The pedal kind of adds volume to your guitar. I equilized it to the clean tone of my guitar and the volume is on 2, so 10 is pretty loud and powerful. And you can tell it's a real distortoin the mutes, solos, rhythms and everything sounds great, not fake. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd depend on it anywhere. I'd take it on stage (and I have) without a backup. It's like 3 pounds because it's made of pure steel or some fancy name. It's heavy duty and tough. The corner hits up against the side of the GNX 1 a lot and the paint chips pretty easy but that's nothing some clear nail polish can't help. // 10

Overall Impression: I play exactly what it suggests Grunge. I'm not into playing other band's stuff just in my own band. We play some Nirvana, Mudhoney, and Alice In Chains and it fits in perfectly. DigiTech does a great job on their pedals. I spent an hour or so at Guitar Center just going through all of the DigiTech and Boss Pedals, the Grunge pedal is the one that I found to match my style the best. I own a Boss DS-1 and they go great together (not at the same exact time). // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: unknownalone, on november 01, 2004

Purchased from: Count Bros. Music

Ease of Use: As with any DigiTech pedal, it is very easy to use. The booklet that comes with it really doesn't do much justice, it just tells you the basics, and only gives you four different sound settings. Coming up with different tones is really simple to do, as with any DigiTech pedal. // 10

Sound: I'm using mine with an Ibanez guitar and Ibanez amp, and the sound is pretty good. It does sound a little better using a Fender guitar, but that's just because it is Fender, and Fenders are better. It isn't noisy at all, I haven't heard any popping or unwanted noises. The distortion sounds great, not too heavy, and not to light. It is very easy to achieve a Nirvana sound, and it's also easy to get blink or new found glory sound. I wouldnt recommend this for playing metal or hardcore though, but it does work good with Metallica. You really cant achieve light distortion though, such as for classic rock, because even on the lowest distortion setting you still get a good bit of it, but heck why would you want to use this to play classic rock? // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can definetely say that this is very dependable, however it is my first DigiTech pedal and I've only had it a week. It has very solid construction, and the knobs are recessed so you wont accidentally change them when stomping. I would definetely use this without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly punk, and it works very well with it. It is also very good for Nirvana, or Metallica, or any rock that is non-hardcore. I've been playing a couple of years, so its pretty easy to take advantage of this pedal. I love the sound, and when you switch from clean to distortion it is very smooth, a very good transition from one to the other. If it was lost or stolen I would definetely buy another one. It is also much better than the 'DOD Grunge' pedal. That is what I had before I got this one, and in fact I only got this one because the DOD messed up. I do wish it were able to achieve light distortion, but it definetely does its job. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: rustyburrito55, on january 03, 2005

Ease of Use: Getting a great sound is really really easy. The DigiTech website www.DigiTech.com has some cool patches to get you strted and it has sound previews. Usually the previews don't sound like the product that much but when I got the pedal I was really surprised. It sounds amazing, better then my buddys Boss Mega Distortion. Your probly saying how? Digitechs are digital they can't compare to an analog distortion such as the mega distortion. Well the Grunge is analog! // 10

Sound: I use it with a stock Ibanez Artcore AM57 and a stock Crate GLX65. It isn't a very noisy pedal at all. The distortion on this amp is really great. You can get really good sustain if you turn the gain "Grunge" up quite a bit. It's very easy to get a volume boost when you use this. I use mine about 1/4 of the way up and I still get a little volume boost from the clean setting. Be careful with the volume setting though even the littlest movement will make a big change in volume! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing weighs a lot and feels pretty durable. I've only had it for a few months but nothing is wrong with it. It still looks like the day I bought it. I would definitly gig with it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from classic rock to metal and this can cover most of it except the lighter classic rock. I have been playing guitar for around 2 years. I also own a Fender Duo Sonic and a DigiTech RP200A. If somebody stole this I would be very sad and definitly buy a new one. No other pedal has the same sound as this. I love this pedals paintjob and the cabinent emulation. The cabinent emulation output isnt the greatest but its cool to use sometimes if you want a different sound. The things I don't like are that there is no midrange knob and the gain knob only turns the gain down a little bit. If it went down more it would be much more versatile. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: TweekGuitar, on may 20, 2005

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to use. Just plug it in and play. You do have to fiddle around with it a little bit to get a tone you like, but other than that, it's pretty cool. The manual has a few default settings, but I dont use them, 'cause I don't like the way they sound. // 8

Sound: I use a Fender Deluxe 90 amp and a LP Junior. When I play powerchords, the distortion is amazing. It's a little too much for my liking, but I like it. But when you try to solo, it sounds whiney and annoying. I hate doing solos with this pedal. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This thing is durable. The little rubber thing that says DigiTech on it keeps falling off, but its nothing a little super glue can't handle. I dropped it a few times, and it's still going strong. Also, the batery lasts a long time. So thats neat. I would definately use it on a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, I play punk and Grunge music. It's perfect for Grunge music and ok for metal. It kinda sucks for punk, because the distortion is way over the top. I wish single notes didn't sound all whiny and kind of, um nasaly. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldnt buy it again. I would instead by the DigiTech Distortion Factory, beacause I hear it's good. // 8

Grunge Reviewed by: bunkeredugly72, on december 24, 2005

Ease of Use: When I bought this pedal off the internet, I felt like I was really taking a gamble. I knew very little about it and its uses. All I knew about it was that it was called "Grunge" and the is my music of choice. Once I plugged it in, it went steady, right from the get-go. It was the easiest pedal I have evered dealt with. The manual for it is wonderful. It told me everyhting I needed to know about it, and it even gave me some switch settings for different variaties of distortion. This pedal has'nt been upgraded in anyway. Just straight from the box. // 9

Sound: I have run this pedal through my Gibson Les Paul Studio and my Peavy amp. I was highly impressed with the how simple the controls were. Volume, low, high, distortion. Short and sweet. This effect is loud and produces that Big Bottom, System Of A Down-type distrtion that also maintains excellent tone quality. I have achieved a sound very similar to Breaking Benjamin's and Nickelbacks, which is distortion, but with loads of midrange and highs, too. The sound of this effect is full, rich, and heavy. The only sound flaw I have seen is that it has a rather muddy sound if you turn the distortion up too high, not somthing I noticed on the Boss DS-1. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Grunge pedal is not the most reliable thing out there, but this problem can be solved by buying an AC adapter instead of using battery life. The battery life lasted all of 25 minutes. Durability of this Machine simply can not be beat. It is made of a very thick aluminum (and also has a beautiful finish) and has been kicked and or punted many times since I have had it, but it just keeps on working. I really don't think I could break it if I tried. // 7

Overall Impression: The Grunge pedal is excellent for the style of music I play, which is a post-grunge metal style (Trivium, Staind, Fuel, 10 Years, etc). I have been playing for just a little over a year and have tried several different distortion pedals, but this is by far the easiest and most fun one I have used. The "Grunge" has everything I need, and everything I want. I seriously wish this thing would run for a little while on batteries. If you buy this pedal (and I reccomend it), buy the AC adaptor as well. That's the only fault I have with this product. If somthing happend to this effect, I would replace it in a heartbeat. Nothing I have used has matched this pedal in anyway. I reccomend this to anyone who wants a powerful, take-no-prisoners sound from there guitar. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: jono_666, on december 26, 2005

Purchased from: Hardy Smiths Music

Ease of Use: This pedal does everything, from rock n' roll to metal and screaming lead. It is a good all-round distortion pedal, perhaps not the best, but it is very good for the price. Easy to use, just plug in, stomp on it and away you go. Stomp on it again to turn it off. It's that simple. The controls are fairly self explanatory and straightforward. Loud is the volume of the distortion, low is the low cut or bass of the distortion, high is the treble of the distortion and Grunge is the distortion amount. // 10

Sound: Using this with a Dean Baby Z and a Line 6 Spider II. It gives the amp an extra boost of distortion, and provides distortion that you can't quite get out of the amp itself. Havnt really cranked my amp with it yet, so not sure if its noisy or not at high volumes. The effect sounds great all the time. Can get more or less anything out of this, you just have to know how to set it up right. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Totally dependable, won't move around on stage, would use without a backup but would probably invest in an adapter in case the battery dies. This little bugger is built like a brick (similar weight, too), and it wouldnt break even if I took a hammer to it. // 10

Overall Impression: Brilliant match for anything. If you have one of these already, then enough said. If you don't, I suggest you buy one. Now. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: druz15_UG, on january 08, 2006

Ease of Use: This Grunge pedal is insanely easy to get good sound I just pluggeed it in, rolled the dials and instant distortion was at my fingertips! This pedal is great for anyone and any style of rock. I downloaded the manual and it told me everything I needed to know, but I could have done without because this pedal is so easy to use! // 10

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul 100 with it through a 120watt Crate amp and it sounds great, even the crates distortion which is insane, doesn't match up to the boost of the Grunge pedal. The effects always sound great but I recommend using it over a clean amp channel for the best sound. If you set the Grunge setting to 7 the high to 6 and the low to 4 and the volume to however loud you want to play it, it will sound exactly like Nirvana. Play with the tone and Grunge levels and you've got metallica. Another tweak and the sweet tones of Guns N' Roses come cranking out. One of the best distortion pedals on the market. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it not messing up but if it dropped it might dislodge the wiring I wouldn't know I haven't tried! I would use it in gigs without backup definetly. // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues-rock/grunge/metal/funk and it is a good match for the blues rock Grunge and metal but for the funk-rock I prefer a cleaner more crunch like sound. I have been playing for 5 years and I also own an LP 100 and a Crate 212. Sadly I'm selling it because I need the $$$ for a wah pedal but my Crate distortion is almost as good. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 11, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use. It comes with a little booklet that shows you 4 settings that you can set on it. The settings sound awesome on it. If you want to use a setting of your own, it is very easy to find different tones. // 8

Sound: I currently use this pedal through a Fender Deluxe 900 amp and the guitars I use through it are a Fender 50th Anniversary American Strat and a Fender Standard Mexican Strat. This pedal sounds amazing through my setup. The only "noisy" tone that I don't really like on this pedal is the "insane" setting, overall though, if you have the high up too much, it won't sound very good. Other than that though, everything else sounds very nice. By no means does it have a weak tone. I also used this pedal through a Marshall stack that I used for this gig I played with my band and it sounded amazingly good. So for only $40, this pedal carries out an amazing tone and sounds like it should be worth more like $100. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've been using this pedal for over a year now and I've used it for almost all of my distortion playing, and it hasn't flawed in any way. It's still as good as new. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this pedal is very good. I bought this pedal because for 1, it had the word Grunge on it, and it was cheap in price. But when I bought it, I was amazed with it's ability and it's held up since then. Don't let the price fool you, it's not just a "good for the price" pedal, it is an amazing pedal and I will probably be using it for a very long time. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: Vginaguru, on january 26, 2006

Purchased from: R&R Music, Brownsburg, Indiana

Ease of Use: The pedal is frighteningly easy to use. There's only 4 knobs (loud, low, high and Grunge) to adjust. The manual for it mostly just tells you how to care for it, tho there is a page that shows you 4 different setups to get a Descripted sound (i.e. insane). I pretty much discarded the manual and toyed with it till I discovered what sounded Purty. If you can't figure out how to use this pedal, then you're a 100% grade - a moron. // 10

Sound: I use it with a '72 Fender Telecaster Custom into a Marshall 230W amplifier. The pedal gives a very strong distortion effect, to the point where if adjusted correctly, you won't hear any music at all (just feedback and a Loud scratchy noise). When activated it tends to highly increase the guitar volume though, notifying an obvious change. The pedal is extremely versatile, but I stll had to buy other effects to acquire the distinct sounds of my favorite bands. The Grunge dstortion is thick and heavy though and certainly lives up to its name. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's somewhat dependable, unless you are forgetful. If you forget to remove your amp cord from the pedalit continues to drain battery juice, so make sure you have plenty of 9 volt batteries lying around. I would use in a gig w/o a backup, as long as I had extra back-up batteries. // 7

Overall Impression: I play Grunge and classic rock music, the pedal is an excellent match for Grunge (of course) but not good at all for Led Zeppelin. I've been playing for over 2 years and also own a DigiTech Multi-Chorus and GNX-4. I just wished I had known the GNX4 could get the same sounds out of it as well as other first. I love the sound, but not to fond of the High price for one effect (GNX-4 is a much better deal) and the quick battery usage. If it were lost or stolen I'd buy it again for sure. This is an excellent product and there isn't much of a way to improve it. // 8

Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 28, 2006

Ease of Use: Well, it's pretty easy to use. It has a "Grunge" pedal which is a heavy disortion. I also have a Boss DS-1, but the Grunge pedal has a little mroe significant bite and tone to it. The pedal is kinda heavy compared to others its size, but no big deal. Theres alsot of settings you can modify on it. An overall great pedal. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Squier Strat with only treble pickups and a 15 watt Fender amp. If you've played the new Line 6 "Spider II" amps, the metal position sounds almost the same as the Grunge pedal. The effects are awesome. You can go from a soft punk bite to a screaming Nirvana's "Bleach"-esque Overdrive. Like I said before, this has more quality and just more hardcore sound to it than the Boss DS-1. Yes, this pedal is very noisy while playing inside, if you have the "loud" (volume) knob up past 3, or on 3, you've got a hardcore grunge-metal noise. I usually keep the "Grunge" knob all the way up, this gives you the most tone and bite, really. Although Kurt Cobain used the Boss DS-1, the tone of this pedal sounds more like his style. I usually keep the treble on about 6, having it any higher than that can cause a serious screech on any note part the 12th fret on the high E string. Middle is usually at 9. Bass at 9. I also like how you can play an almost exact replice of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" with the Grunge knob all the way up. This is an almost twin of Tony Iommi's sound in that sound, along with a few others. It sounds really cool with that 1st fret pulloff at the beginning. Also scraping the Pick against the strings gives a good noise. So the sound is excellent on this pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, theres a lot of issues wih durability. If you play this pedal for a good 6 hours, it's time to change the battery. And I don't mean playing 6 hrs straight for a day, I mean about 2-3 days. I probabaly would use this cool pedal without a pickup if I had at least a 50 watt amp. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly Nirvana, since I'm really obssesed with them and I love Kurt Cobain. Really. I've been playing for about a year and a half now but don't think I'm some crappy poser. I also have the Boss DS-1 (a good all around pedal). If someone would steal my pedal. I would just go get a 15 watt Spider 2 amp. I love the sound and just overall feel of it! I mean, its a great pedal with hard crunching sound. Great! I think it's a little better than the DS-1, more tone and kick to it. I chose this pedal because the website said most of their players have plugged this sucker up over anyone in that line and I love Grunge music. // 8

Grunge Reviewed by: BadKarma, on june 23, 2006

Ease of Use: If you like playing Grunge and alternative, or just hard rock, this pedal is for you. It is far better than a Boss DS-1 Distortion because it can get all of those tones plus many more very very easily, just change the balance of 2 different knobs and you can have the lowest distrotion imaginable or the highest. The manual for it, more like a catalog, had a few setups of the knobs that I still use and made it alot easier to just whip it out and play. // 10

Sound: I use this with an Ibanez G10 and run it thru a Fender 75 amp. It sounds excellent combined with my guitar thru ANY amp. And the Fender amp gives it a good sound, not as good as something all tube would, but it makes it sound very nice. The effects are very powerful and if you are using an amp that cannot get very loud, you can push it past its limits with the loud knob on the amp, and that comes in handy at times. I can get the sound of almost any artist that uses distortion out of this pedal, so it is very good at producing distorion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is my go to pedal. Nothing else compares and I would use nothing else. I would use this anytime without a backup, I've had it for about 3 months now and it has never died or stopped workin on me yet. And I doubt it will. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match for any type of music, I would change nothing about this and I suggest that all of you go out and buy this right now! // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 29, 2006

Purchased from: Foulds

Ease of Use: If you follow the manual its really easy to get a good sound out of it. But if you want to be a bit more adventerous go for it! Because you can get some really mind blowing distorion which is perfect for my style. A sort of classic rock/thrash/physcidelic type of music. But you can also turn down the Grunge crank up the volume and pay AC/DC a great tribute. The only problem is when you turn it off your amp is really quiet. Great sound otherwise though. // 9

Sound: I use a Tanglewood les paul and an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 and both of which really have a kick ass sound with it. My amp is a crap alphatone and the distorion on it isnt great. It can be as noisy as you want it. You can definatley get a good Nirvana sound out of it and with the right settings a really crisp pantera sound. But with loads of fiddling classic rock can be achieved. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If you put a grenade under it it would still work fine. The whole thing has a metal construcion around it and is virtually indestructable, no matter how hard you stomp on it! I wouldn't need a backup to be honest. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I've already said it suits my style really well, and gives my playing that extra kick. I have been playing 3 years and this is the first pedal I've had and I don't think I will need a distorion pedal for some years to come.If it was stolen I would find the guy then hit him over the head with the bastarding thing and it would probably kill him. I love everything about it.But my faveourite feature is the ability to change the 'Grunge'. Overall a great pedal if your looking for some kick ass distorion! // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: leondb, on january 12, 2007

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty simple to use. There are 4 controls: loud, low, high, and grunge. Slight adjustments on either knob really changes how the Grunge pedal sounds, but it didn't take me that long to find the settings that I like for the different sounds I want from my music. // 9

Sound: I am currently using it with a Fender Stratocaster and a PRS SE Singlecut. I simply love the levels of distortion this pedal can achieve. It sounds great at high and low volumes! I like to keep my loud adjusted from 5-7, my low and high somewhere around 5 or 6, and depending on the music, my Grunge dialed from 5-10, 10 being absolute pedal to the metal so to speak. This pedal is a beast! And the DigiTech website is excellent in that they have sound samples with different settings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: DigiTech pedals in general are very rugged. They're pretty heavy, but you can tell off the bat that these are built to last! I would definately use this pedal and any other DigiTech pedal to gigs and rehearsals. Battery life is adequete, but I recommend buying adapters if you want your sound to last when playing music with these pedals, because batteries don't last forever. With an adapter, you don't need to worry about the distortion fading over time because a battery is dying. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of Rock. This pedal can achieve all the levels of distortion that I could ever hope for. The only thing I would want from a pedal this raw and insane is a built in noisegate. The higher you dial the treble, the higher feedback it can create, so a noisegate would be so convenient! I guess you can't have it all. I would pay more for a pedal with a built in noisegate. Don't get me wrong though, this pedal is a beast. The Grunge dial is my best friend! As for DigiTech, I also have a Hyper Phaser. I have plans on getting a Bad Monkey, Digiverb and Chorus from DigiTech as well, so I can get my pedal board filled in. Overall, this is a 5-star pedal! // 8

Grunge Reviewed by: tat_junkie, on february 13, 2007

Purchased from: local shop

Ease of Use: Let's be honest, all single-effect pedals are easy to use. You've got four knobs; "loud, low, high, and 'grunge'." They're all relatively obvious. Volume, sound, and effect. Yes, it comes with a manual that has suggested settings for sound, but you really only need one thing from the box: the pedal (you can register your purchase for warranty online at DigiTech's website). If any part of this is confusing, I'd suggest sticking to Guitar Hero on your PlayStation 2. // 10

Sound: I bought the pedal to use in my house (aka the practice space). It's in between my Strat knock-off and my handy-dandy, extremely portable Randall RG25RXM, connected with generic cables. I'll admit, it's not a mind-boggling setup, but with the Grunge pedal, it still sounds good enough to broadcast through the airwaves and irritate my neighbors! The effect is solid, but as stated in other reviews, my amp seems very quiet when the pedal is turned off. With this pedal, you can get a lot of different sounds, from 6 Crazyfists, Lamb Of God, Deftones, Rage, and a u-haul full of other bands. All it takes is a couple wrist-flicks on the knobs, and you're there. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Let me put it this way. If someone broke into my house, I wouldn't reach for my.308, I'd throw DigiTech pedals. Why? Because they're heavy as shit, it wouldn't hurt the pedals any since they're made with a metal casing, and being incapacitated by effects pedals would probably be most embarrasing to a thief. Seriously, these pedals are rock-solid. A buddy of mine's had his metal-master since it was first introduced, and all that's wrong with it is the spring action is a little heavier than it was new. I'd without a doubt leave my backup at home when gigging with this pedal, just bring your AC adapter! // 9

Overall Impression: This is the first pedal that I myself paid for, and I'll never stray from the DigiTech line-up. I'm not going to get into what would happen if someone stole it, because that could be considered incriminating evidence in future, possible court dates. Go to the local drool shop, and check them out for yourself, if you haven't already. And if you've been curious, dude just give in and get one. I personally guarantee you won't regret the small dent in your wallet. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: firesofforever9, on february 17, 2007

Ease of Use: This distortion pedal is very easy to use. It also isnt short on looks either. There are 4 knobs on it; loud (volume), low, high, and then Grunge. If the Grunge knob is all the way down, it will give you a slightly blank, classic rock sound. If the Grunge knob is all the way up, it is just an insane metal gunge sound. There is 1 input for your guitar, an output for an amp, and an output for a mixer. Overall this distortion pedal is just the basic pedal that anyone can use. // 10

Sound: I mostly use this distortion with my B.C. Rich Masterpiece Mockingbird guitar, my Crate 50 watt amp, and sometimes my Behringer half stack. The effect will sometimes give you feedback when using it with other metal sounding distortion pedals. This distortion also sounds great with things like flange, phaser, echo, and things of that nature. The full effect of this pedal should give you a sound like pantera or Anthrax. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very dependable. It is a very durable pedal that was definately made well in the factory. I recommend buying the ac adapter for it because it drains batteries. If you are using this pedal at a gig, just make sure that you are only going to need something like the sound it gives you. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of styles of music. This pedal is just for metal, and on a certain setting for classic rock. I have been playing guitar and bass for 2 years now. I own 4 electric guitars, 2 bass guitars, 1 acoustic guitar, a DigiTech hothead distortion, and a Behringer half stack. If this pedal were to be stolen from me, I would buy it again because it is a great value and it gives me all the metal that I need. I love basically everything about this pedal. I would compare this to the DigiTech Death Metal distortion because the Death Metal distortion just gives you a bit more metal for the money. But the Death Metal distortion also costs a bit more. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: (...), on february 17, 2007

Purchased from: World of Music

Ease of Use: The Grunge pedal is very easy to dial in. With four knobs (volume, bass, treble, and Grunge) it is not a big hassle. To get the battery out you have to take two ends of your cable and push in a certain spot, which is very convenient and easy. The manual explains all, and it also comes with a bonus manual that tells you about all the distortion possibilities of DigiTech pedals which I find to be interesting. // 9

Sound: I use this pedal with a Fender amp and guitar. The pedal can emit a lot of feed back that can be frustrating when recording. That aside, it sounds great. The Grunge knob really changes the sound you get so there are many possibilities in store. You can go from mild distortion to an overload of it. My favorite artist is Cliff Burton, and believe it or not, you can get a little Cliff out of this thing, even on guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can very well depend on this pedal. I would use it without a backup because DigiTech pedals are very tough and do not slide around because of the rubber on the bottom. Of course I would still bring batteries, even though battery life is good on this thing. // 10

Overall Impression: Even thought this is a Grunge pedal, I use it for metal. If it was gone, I would feel like my arsenal is incomplete and buy it again. The only bad point I see of this pedal is the enormous feedback which I mentioned earlier, which makes this one sour for recording. I love the ease of use and its tone. I bought this pedal really because of the price, and I found a Diamond in the rough. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: rotted_strings, on march 07, 2007

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to get to work. The tones are decent, but it's more of a fuzz than a crunch distortion. The manual has four settings from the factory, but they are not very helpful. The internal battery plug was broken when I got it, so I had that fixed. it's really good to have a onespot adapter for the power source, but I have only replaced the battery once. I use this almost everyday. I like the plug and play effect because there really isn't that bad of a setup time. // 8

Sound: I have used this with an Epiphone Les Paul 100 played through a Marshall MG100HDFX with MG412 Cab with no FX set on the head. I also used it with a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster with Seyemore Duncan SHR-1 Hot Rails through a Fender FM-212 Combo and neither one could do very good for anything but sound half way Nirvana and about the same as Nickelback. The distorion is very weak and is drowned out by a fuzz, which is very strong. // 6

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on the same tones, but if you use anyother effects with it and wah, it will cut straight to a low end bass sound. I use it alot, though I do complain, if you tweak the knobs and you amp volume must be about twice as loud, you can sound good. I use it for my custom sound, but that is me. I would use it at a gig if I liked the sound with out any other distortions. It's really durable. // 9

Overall Impression: I play every thing from The Beatles to Pantera and Dethklok. it's good for some Alice in Chains, but really good for Nickleback and Nirvana. I have played for about three years and I own a Epiphone Les Paul 100, a J. Reynolds Strat copy, a Marshall MG10CD Combo, but I play with other amps and guitars. I probably would replace it, but I would buy another brand distortion pedal first. I love the die cast metal body, the unique sound, and the size. I hate the the sound with other effects, and the fact that I have to use something to raise the imput to the output on my wah. My favorite feature is the metal body that way if I stomp it, it won't break. I compared it with the DOD Death Metal distortion pedal, and the DigiTech Death Metal Distortionl. I chose it for price. I wish it had a better cruch in the distortion. // 7

Grunge Reviewed by: GMR5, on march 12, 2007

Ease of Use: The DigiTech Grunge pedal is amazing. It has become the number one pedal in my setup. It is a very easy pedal to get a good sound out of too. I play anything from metal to punk and everything in-between and this pedal gives me a good sound for everything. The pedal brochure that comes with it gives you 4 preset settings that can give you a difinitive sound that you are looking for including raw power, cutting sustain, heavy and smooth, and insane. For pure metal and power I use Insane and hardly ever take it off of this. The manual for this pedal is helpful and explains every use of the controls. // 9

Sound: The sound that comes from this pedal is great. I use it with an Ibanez GRX20Z with a really old amp from the '60s along with an Epoch 10 watt amp and it sounds great from both. The only real problem is that when it is on it causes feedback and you might want to get a noise compressor. The sound is always great as long as the battery you have in it is new or you can use the DigiTech adapter for power 24/7. With this pedal you can sound like most metal artists or modern rock like Iron Maiden, Lamb Of God, or Blink 182. The distortion is the best coming from the Grunge. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is made of Solid Metal, total durability. I stomp on this thing, I have dropped it and it still works like new. I have used this at band practices without a backup, just an extra battery in case since I do not own the adapter. This is my number one pedal, never dissapoints me. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this pedal is a god to me. I play heavy music so it is perferct for the sound I need. I have been playing for 4 years now and I own other distortion pedals and effects, but this is the best for me. If I ever lost this pedal I would have to buy it again, it is that good. I love the sound, only wish I had the power adapter and maybe a noise compressor for it. If it included this, it would be the ultimate pedal. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: ravenking2005, on april 09, 2007

Purchased from: Kaos Music Centre

Ease of Use: I got this pedal two years ago and loved it. It was easy to use, and gave me the exact tone I wanted. I play alternative/punk rock (Rise Against, NOFX, Anti-Flag) as well as some metal (Metallica, Trivium, Children Of Bodom). This pedal works great for all of the artists. I find it sounds even better when you turn it up. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Jackson DKMG Dinky with a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier amp. Although I love the distortion options I have with the Mesa, I find that the Grunge distortion sounds better with the rest of my band. The distortion itself is killer. I can get a great tone for all the music I play out of that little box. The Grunge pedal has four knobs. Level, Treble, Bass and Grunge. I find that if you boost the bass a bit, and keep the level at a bout 1/3 and the Grunge (gain) at about 1/3 you get a really sick tone. Do not use the pedal to amp the sound, that's what you have an amplifier for. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal has been used for several gigs, without fail. It's awesome. I wouldn't even think twice about bringing a backup pedal, no need for it. This thing is a small tank. The only thing I recommend is buying the power adapter. It will save you money in the long run. // 9

Overall Impression: For the type of music I play, this pedal is awesome. This will be my 3rd year playing guitar, and I don't plan on replacing this pedal anytime soon. If this pedal was stolen (probably at a show) I would be buying it again the next day. For some time I was using a DigiTech RP200 pedal, but I found the distortion on it was not what I needed, so I switched back to a stomp box. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: Nirvana-Man, on april 10, 2007

Purchased from: SamAsh Music

Ease of Use: The pedal is pretty easy to use, actually, people probably understand "low" and "high", better than "treble" and "bass"! If you can't get a good tone just messing with the knobs, then inside the pedals box, there is a list of different tones you can use, complete with pictures showing where to turn the knobs. // 8

Sound: I love the sound on this pedal! I'm using a Fat Strat usually on the humbucker pickup, and let me tell you, the sound is incredible! You get four knobs: loud (volume), low (bass), high (treble), and grunge (distortion). The settings are quite easy to get a good sound from, and you aren't just limited to a Grunge sound. The only problem is, getting your settings on your amp to sound good with the settings on the pedal (a big pain). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is really quite durable, but the only problem of not having a backup at a gig would be the battery life. The battery life is real bad, if you forget and leave this thing plugged in for a night, then the battery will be close to dead. To solve this though I bought a AC adapter, so I don't have to worry about batteries anymore! // 8

Overall Impression: I love the pedal! While I may be a bit byist because I play mainly Grunge on this pedal, it is actually quite adaptable to other styles too. The good definatly outweighs the bad here, and I prefer this tone over some random distortion pedal. The only big flaw is the battery life, but that can be fixed by buying a $10 AC adapter. The only thing I miss on it is a mids knob. But don't worry! It's not that big of a deal! Overall, I recommend this pedal to anyone who wants a good rock tone (and who dosen't want that). // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: RipDimeX, on june 07, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is really good and has an amazing sound out of it. It really is not hard to use since it is a single effect pedal it has four knobs witch consist of the loudness knob, the low knob, the high knowband the Grunge know (distortion). And anyone can use it. The manual is not thhat helpful because you really don't need much to know about how to control a single effect pedal. Overall The ease of it is very good. // 9

Sound: My Setup consist of a Bronze B\.C\. Rich Warlock and my Crate XT15R and a couple of my other pedals and it beats the ordinary Boss Distortion and the Grunge goes along well with my setup and sounds awesome with my others. The Grunge is not noisy on any settings I have tried them all and they all sound great. The Grunge effect is just perfect on any type of setting. I use the pedal a lot for my more thrash and hard rock type of stuff I play, I use it a lot when I play Pantera's hard stuff and it sounds great. When I play it with my other effects it tags along great with them. Overall the sound is great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can always depend on my Grunge because it is made out of some serious metal and you can treat it like crap and it will still last and sound the same. I haven't been to a gig recently but I practice with my drummer friend a lot and I do not need a backup I'm pretty sure if I was at a gig I would not need one. Overall the durability and reliability is great. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of heavy thrash metal and hard rock and it sounds like it was made for me. I have been playing for almost 4 years and my some other pedals are a Dunlop Wah, a DigiTech Bad Monkey, a DigiTech Digital Multi Voice Chorus, and my DigiTech Delay the Grunge sounds great with all of them. If it was stolen somehow I would make 40 dollars and buy it again right away because I love it a lot. There is nothing I hate about it and I love everything about it my favorite feature is that it is a durable stompbox. I have compared it to a Boss Distortion and in my opinion it beat it all the way I chose it because I tried it and fell in love with it. And if you are going for a good distortion pedal and play metal go for this pedal you wont regret it. Overall very amazingly good pedal. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: Roker4Christ, on august 08, 2007

Ease of Use: This is an awesome pedal from DigiTech first off! It has 4 very easy to adjust sound settings: loud (level), low (bass), high (treble), grunge (distortion). One thing about this, it might be a little better if there was a little more difference in between the levels on the switches, I mean they're still great, but it's just missing that one thing, but I can't figure out what it is. The manual the comes with it is very helpful. It comes with 3 or 4 preset sounds for you to program the pedal to. // 9

Sound: I play a Stratocaster with a G-Dec 30 amp. If you get this pedal I highly recommend you also get the G-Dec amplifier (Fender). Maybe for $250 it's not exactly an accessory(haha), but I mean, You can customize the many sound options of this pedal to the many distortions and variations of sounds you can get with the G-Dec, but that will be in a different review later. Anyway, about the pedal itself. You can make this pedal very noisy, and highly distortionized(ha) if you want to and it still just won't sound like a terrible buzzing noise. It will sound very good with the music you play, well, certain kinds of music. First of all if you like My Chemical Romance, this is a pedal for you! I'm an ex-fan and the song that fits this pedal more than any song I've ever heard on it, is-Dead! The intro sounds amazing. Anyway I play Metal/Superb, Rock/Great, Alternative/Awesome. All my favorite bands right now work great with this pedal on certain settings. A band tat sounds especially great on this pedal is Three Days Grace. The chorus of Never Too Late sounds awesome. Other bands that sound good on this pedal are Haste The Day, Evanescence, Flyleaf, Creed, Sum 41, The Devil Wears Prada, Afi, Black Stone Cherry, Billy Talent, Breaking Benjamin, Demon Hunter, Guns N Roses, Fuel, Hinder, Hoobastank, Inhale Exhale, Jimi Hendrix, Linkin Park, Lostprophets, Nickelback, RED, Saliva, Saosin, Skillet, Shindeown, Senses Fail, Slash, Story of the Year, Thousand Foot Krutch, White Stripes and many many more. Not one of the effects on this pedal are weak, they are all rich and full on sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is extremely reliable. I've had it for 3, 4 months and I've never had a problem with it. It's very solid and strong. I hate to admit, but I have dropped it a few times and it still works like it's Brand New(which is a good thing).I would definitly not worry about bringing a backup pedal to a gig, unless your band uses a whole lot of different sounds, in that case which you'd get different sounding pedals. But still, this pedal has a great variety of sounds. Very reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I spent $50 dollars on this pedal. Might be one of the best purchass I've every made. There is absolutely nothing else I would add to this pedal except a few more variations for the effects, but I have very high standards.haha. This pedal still has the the best sound for a rock, alt, metal pedal you could ever ask for. I know this might sound weird, but one of my favorite features of this pedal is that, with a G-Dec amp, you can make any 2 combinations of sound you want pretty much. For Example, on he song Never Too Late by 3 Days Grace, the verses are Acoustic and the chorus and bridge is Electric, Hardcore guitar. Now if you program a certain acoustic sound in the G-Dec, and then certain levels on the pedal, you can make the verse sound flawless and just like the song and the same for the chorus. There are many, many variations of sound you can get for this pedal. This is a very, very good buy for all metal and rock players. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 14, 2007

Purchased from: Bob's Guitar, Cedar Falls

Ease of Use: The Grunge pedal is about as simple as it gets, 4 knobs: level, bass, high, and grunge (gain). The manual provides you with some good settings to try, but they end up sounding average and mediocre. I find that using those settings as a basis for tweaking is great, mess with your amps EQ and guitar tone levels, the thing really screams when you do. There are (I believe) AnalogMan mods for this, but I have yet to get mine modded. // 8

Sound: Squier Affinity Strat - Peavy Valveking 212 100W. The pedal takes off with this set up. I turned the volume up to approx. 9 o'clock on the pedal to Drive the tubes a little bit, with the gain at halfway and the lows cranked, mids scooped, highs cranked on the clean channel. I fell in love, a solid state just doesn't do this amp justice, the lows were ass-shaking, the highs screamed and sang for hours. There is only a little noise added to the signal when the gain is cranked all the way, but that is drowned out when you turn it up. Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Fender Frontman 30W. The pedal performed admirably here, with still good tone and leaping highs and lows. The noise level, however, increased tenfold with the gain all the way up making it near impossible to distinguish any notes. I'd leave the gain down a bit on your smaller amps. Epiph Paul Standard - Epiphone Studio 15W (yes, the tiny one). It seems the smaller I go the more the tone breaks up..in short, this amp isn't powerful enough to deliver any sufficient volume or power to do this amp justice. Buy a bigger amp if you plan to use this. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The metal casing is plenty powerful, with a nice spring-powered hinge on the footpedal. The knobs themselves are a little bit shaky, and the volume pot is far too touchy. The hinge has buttons on either side for a 1/4" jack to pop it open in order to get to the battery compartment. Upon further inspection in the pedal, everything seems to be wired pretty cleanly. The actual engage button is set on the bottom of the pedal on the inside, with a plastic arm reaching from the actual hinged pedal part. This leads me to believe if you really really stomped on this bad boy for a few gigs you might be setting yourself up for some problems. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from BB King to ZZ Top to Lamb Of God. This pedal can dial in some pretty nice blues lead tones, some killer southern rock solo riffs, and some down and dirty, ass shaking bass rhythm licks. I've been playing for a year and a half now, and I also own a Epiphone acoustic-electric, a Fender FM100 Cab for the Peavy, and I operate a home studio(and yes, the mixer output doesn't sound half bad). If lost or stolen I would indeed buy it again, as it has a unique distortion sound and is something I value. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: the.spine.surfs, on november 05, 2007

Ease of Use: It's just as easy to use as anyother analog DigiTech distortion, but "getting a good sound out of it" requires a bit too much coaxing. Mine didn't come with a manual, but it's self-explaniotry. "Loud" is level, "high" is high-freq cut/boost, "low" is a low-freq cut/boost, and "grunge" is distortion level. I give it a 7, for simple, easy to use, if not efective, controls. // 7

Sound: I played this with a Ibanez DT120 Destroyer with GFS pups, and an Ibanez RG2EX2 with EMG-designed pups into my modded Epiphone Valve Junior Head I put the Valve Junior on a low volume with the (non-stock) gain Switch set to off to let the pedal to the talking. I wish I hadn't. The distortion on this pedal is brOOtal, to be sure, but that's all. Even at the lowest level of Grunge, I found it to be noisy and musically unpleasent. Dimed, the distortion was just plain unpleasent. Playing with the EQ didn't do much to help, either. The Low control is Flubby past 10 or 12 o'clock, and thin below 9 or 8. The High was sightly more usable, but painfull and unpleant when dimed. Finially, the pedal introduced a hissing louder than even I could tolerate, and I'm famous for not caring about hiss. One thing worth mentioning, this sucker is loud as hell. Great way to blow the speaker out of your Squier SP-10. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Gig without backup, sure, but don't unless you're trying to hurt the patrons of the venue. You could definitally get your $ back, and then some, buy using this to smash a display window of a Gibson dealer, and scooting off with every LP you could carry. DigiTech makes pedals almost as solid as Boss, so 8. // 8

Overall Impression: You can get much nicer pedals for the street price of this thing ($50) If you want a solid distortion pedal, get a DS-1 (Which I've owned, thank you) or perhaps save for a DF7 Distortion Factory. I was just dissappointed with the ammout of noise and hiss, and the lack of usability of the EQ. One plus: the purpley cracked finsh is rather H4wt. // 5

Grunge Reviewed by: SinisterScythe, on december 05, 2007

Purchased from: Digitech Website

Ease of Use: Very easy settings it has loudness setting that turns up the crisp. Low setting that turns down or up the bass/distortion. High setting that turns up the bass/distortion. Grunge setting that turns up the distortion by far and gives an excellent sound of death core, metal core sound. Only 2 patches needed one goes on the left side for input to the amp then the other on the right for input to the pedal and guitar. Comes with a small manual with how to set it up what feature it gives I'll give the manual a 4/5. No upgrades have been released for this pedal that I know of. // 10

Sound: I used a Washburn/Ibanez with a Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube, the sound is the best in hardcore/crisp sound. It can be very loud noisy and sound nice, if to loud it may give a little noise off not feedback but like a loud noise. Some of the effects are not that good on which tuning your in and what string you hit, Other then that the effects are the greatest. I can get the sound of bring me the horizon, as blood runs black and I killed the prom Queen. The main effects the distortion are very good I am well happy with this product. And no downside what so ever and I have never had a problem with it since. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes, I depend on this if I don't have the right amp or distortion. Yes, I would use it on a gig without a backup I know this is made by a great company and so nothing will happen. The downside of this is that you have to take out the bottom plate to input the battery's unless you have a V cord cable which I use. So yes I would use it on both of the questions and I trust this product 100%. // 9

Overall Impression: I play death core, hardcore, metal core around there genres, This is a very good match for the crunch and crisp sound for the sound you want for crisp distortion. I've been playing for about 1/2 years now and I own another foot pedal metal edge and it's not that great Grunge totally owns it, more settings, more crisp, more metal. I have no questions before I would of bought it. If it was stolen I'll buy a new one cause I really like this product. I love the sound and the settings but then again I hate the sound it makes when you don't play and just idol it makes like a screeching sound if to loud. My favorite feature to this product is the Grunge feature, turn up or down the crisp. I never compared it to any other products. If you like deathcore, metalcore, hardcore I recommend this foot pedal to you. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: ed_roffmann93, on december 23, 2007

Purchased from: soundcore IL

Ease of Use: This pedal has several good sounds in it. I've used it in many amps and it has sounded great in all of them. The manual goes over basic stuff like setup and knob effect. It also comes with a little booklet of pedals and settings for most DigiTech pedals. My pedal has not even been upgraded. // 9

Sound: I usally use a 77 Fender strat and an old stereo system (and it's a peice of junk), but the pedal still sounds great. It is really loud with the Grunge or high turn all the way up, but I like it because I can get some nice feedback. All of the effects are loud and distinctive, you can randomly turn the knobs and I could probably tell you how they are turned from the sound. With this pedal you get the full sound of Kurt Cobain. Distrotion is the only effect on here and it's great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on this pedal I've dropped it so many times and it only has a couple of scratches. The metal metal cover is why. I've used the thing in gravel even and the back is barely nicked. I would use this at a gig with out a backup. Just because mine has never cut out with exeption of a bad cord. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Grunge, classic rock, and hard rock and it sounds great for all of them it's the one pedal I use for everything. I've been playing for 3 years and I have a 77 Fender strat and a starter Ibanez it sounds better on the strat only because the Ibanez has treible pickups. This is perfect I have no questions I would have asked but to play it more because I didn't have guitar at my house. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 15, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use. It comes with a manual but I didn't read it because it has four knobs: loud, low, high and Grunge. Every knob is self explanatory with Grunge knob being like "distortion" knob. It has 2 ouputs (mixer, amp) but I use only amp one. Pedal is great and it is really easy to operate. // 10

Sound: I use my pedal with Marshall MG15CD amp and a Gibson Explorer. It is very noisy on all settings, so when you go to clean it's very quiet. I use my Grunge pedal to play Nirvana and it is great for it. I usually turn the grunge knob all the way up. The pedal is perfect for the style of music I play. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is super heavy and it looks very durable. I have a gig coming up and I will certainly use this pedal without backup. I can depend on my pedal 100% because it's pretty heavy and it's knobs are pretty hard to turn so this excludes the risk of accidentaly twisting the knobs or knocking them off. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Nirvana stuff and Alt Rock so this pedal is perfect for me. I have been playing for 4 years and I own Boss ME-50 which is a multi effects unit that is very easy to use. If my Grunge pedal was stolen I would defenitly buy another one because I was amazed by the sound that my pedal produced when I used it for the first time. It exactly matched Nirvana's sound so I would defenitly buy another one. I like turning my pedal all the way up, starting the song quietly on clean and then turning on my pedal. this has one hell of an impression on the audience. And it's design is pretty cool too. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: blazerok, on january 21, 2008

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: This effect is really easy to use, in my opinion. There is a volume knob, a low and high knob (EQ) and a Grunge knob, wich is the distortion knob. The manual shows how to change the battery in the pedal, show the utility of each knob and include 4 basic preset, wich sound okay, but I'm not using them much. // 9

Sound: I'm using it with a Bronze Warlock (amazing axe for the price) and a Fender Frontman 15W. The effect gets noisy with high distortion settings, so I keep the distortion at middle most time. When the battery power is running low, this pedal lose lots of its good sound, but except that, the sound is awesome. it's pretty easy to sounds like dope, Metallica, Lamb Of God, and much more. But this effect is made for metal, and it's near impossible to get a nice rock tone with it. Oh, and one more thing, this does not sounds good with single coil pickups, as it gets really noisy. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This effect is so durable, It's built like a brick! The battery is easy to change if you use your guitar cord. I haven't had any problems withit except that the footswitch may be hard to push during playing. I never used it to gig, but I went to play at my friend house with it often, and I haven had any problem so far. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal and this is probably the only style matching with this distortion pedal. I started playing 4 years ago and the effect I was using before this one was the Behringer X V-AMP. if it were stolen, I'd buy it again for sure! I compared it to the other DigiTech distortion/overdrive pedal (Bad Monkey, Blues Driver, Hot Head, And Death Metal) and I knew this one was made for me! // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: christopherius, on march 22, 2008

Purchased from: Tunes Music and Audio

Ease of Use: Its very simple to use as it only has 4 knobs to control the sound: loud, low, high and grunge. Simply plug the box to your guitar and amp and your ready to rock! The manual included shows 4 preset effects called raw power, cutting sustain, heavy and smooth and insane. It also shows you different ways you can chain together other effect pedals to get a unique sound. I only wish it showed more presets to use. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Fender Stratocaster guitar and Peavey Rage 158 amp. The amp gets a lot louder with the pedal on unless you change a few settings but that's to be expected. It sounds better than other pedals I've used and I am happy with the results. It was easy for me to get the sounds of Nirvana with the Grunge and a few heavy metal bands with a bit of tweaking. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is a very durable pedal and the casing is made of a heavy metal and the setting knobs are recessed to prevent you from accidentaly changing the effects. It should last a long time and I'm not afraid to stomp on this sucker. I would use this pedal without worrying about having a backup it is rock solid. // 9

Overall Impression: I've played guitar for over a year now and this is currently the only pedal I use. If I had to I would buy it again I am happy with my Grunge pedal. One thing I really like about it is the fact that you don't need a screwdriver to open it up and change the battery. You simply use your patch cords plug into the push pin and the cover comes off. I only wish it had come with a 12 volt adapter, I had to purchase it separately. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: even_flow, on may 05, 2008

Ease of Use: I got this as a Christmas present from my girlfriend, and I don't think I did much if any tweaking to get an awesome sound out of this and within a minute or two I was playing. The manual comes with a few suggestions, all of which sound great, and if you're looking for a heavy distortion it's just about perfect. It is pretty difficult to tone it down, though; Grunge is the name and it's a dirty pedal, so clean's hard to come by, though possible with enough patience. But that ain't what it was built for. It's got four simple enough controls - Loud, Low, High and Grunge. It has two outs - one for an amp, one for a mixer. Can't get much simpler than that, can you? // 9

Sound: I've been using this on a PoS amp until I can afford a better one, so my sound quality is great but I'm almost certain it'd be better with a better amp. The pedal easily goes louder than you'll ever need for practicing at home, and that's without turning your amp up too high. A little tweaking can get you Black Sabbath (think Iron Man), Monster Magnet, Ensiferum or Metallica pretty quickly. I'm not big on turning any of the knobs up too high - it gets very distorted very fast, and my amp can't really handle it without adding in it's own distortion, leading to little definition when playing chords. Sounds great, but you should try it for yourself through a decent rig if you're at all concerned about your melody turning into a mess with too much dirt. // 8

Reliability & Durability: VERY heavy duty pedal. Definitely what they had in mind when they thought up the term "stomp box". I'd happily gig with this without a backup, 'cause hell or high water won't even dent it. Solid Metal casing, thicker than is really necessary with most of the bottom and most of the footswitch covered in rubber to stop it slipping. Similarly, never had any hint of a problem with the electronics - works perfect all the time. However, I would bring a backup battery as this sucker can drain them pretty quick. // 10

Overall Impression: I generally play metal and classic rock. Metal, this pedal definitely has down, and along with a good Overdrive and wah you'd probably be set. It does leave a bit to be desired with classic rock though - the distortion is just too heavy in my opinion. The one thing I really wish this pedal had would be more control over the distortion - ie, the same max distortion it has now, but a much lower minimum. However, this pedal was designed to give cutting distortion, thick distortion, muddy distortion and so on, not to play "Sunshine of your Love" so I can't really complain. All in all, an excellent product that I would definitely replace if it were lost or stolen. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: DA_GOV_IS_A_LIE, on august 02, 2008

Purchased from: craigslist

Ease of Use: I bought this by itself, without manual or cords. It is so easy to use that you don't even need a manual, but I did look it up on the internet and it did help a little with the preset effects. Basically you just plug the guitar into the pedal. Plug the pedal into the amp and your ready. Just make sure before you turn on the amp the volume is all the way down because it'll be loud! It is pretty easy to get a good sound out of it. // 10

Sound: I have an ION guitar with a practice ION 10w or 15w amp (not sure). I have to say, with single coil pickups this pedal will make some buzzing noises, but I used the 5-way selector on the guitar to find a setup that reduces much of the buzzing. This pedal makes a great sound, especially when switching from clean to distorted, the sound is amazing. The only problem that I've had with this pedal is it doesn't sound too good with 4 or 5 string chords, and it doesn't have enough distortion to it (if your looking to play heavy metal). But you can get really amazing sound if your looking to play some hard rock like Black Sabbath. I've managed to nearly clone the sound of the song Paranoid with this pedal. Palm muting sounds great on this pedal, which is something that I love. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played a gig or anything, but I'm sure this hunk of metal can withstand a lot of damage. I've heard that the knobs get loose after awhile, but I treat mine with care and the knobs are great on mine. So I would say that a backup wouldn't really be necesary. The only problem is batter life, since those damn 9v batteries get expensive. And don't leave this thing plugged in overnight, or else the whole battery life will be wasted. I would recommend getting a AC adapter, except I don't know the voltage that it needs. I have tried various power cords through out my house, such as a 14v cord, and a Voltage selector (which has many different voltage settings from 12v to 1.5v) and none of them work. I don't know if it is just my pedal but I just can't find one that works. If someone could help me out with this that would be great! // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play heavy metal stuff like Lamb Of God. This pedal does a good job amplifing the pinch hamonics and stuff, but it doesn't quite have enough distortion in the Grunge knob to create that heavy metal sound. But if I'm not in a heavy metal mood, I will occasonally play Black Sabbath and simialar music, and it is an exellent match for that. I also have tried playing Metallica (Seek and Destroy) and it just doesn't have enough "crunch" in the palm muted E notes that I desire for that song. I am kinda a noob to distortion pedals, and guitar gear overall since I've only been playing for about 7 months. I still have very beginner gear and just can't afford to upgrade quite yet. I thought that if I got a distortion pedal I could sound a lot better out of my little amp, and this pedal greatly improved the sound. If it was stolen, I would probably get a DigiTech Death Metal pedal since it suits my music style (although I have never actually used one). And if you do buy this pedal, be sure to figure out what kind of a power cord you need since I highly doubt you want to be buying 4 9v batteries every other week. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: learningplayer, on august 29, 2008

Ease of Use: The DigiTech Grunge pedal has very easy controls to get the heavy sound I was looking for. I could understand the manual very well, the pedal was obviously used due to the small coffee stains on the cover and had a bent page inside. I have not been told that the unit was upgraded or not or asked. // 10

Sound: I use an Ibanez RG120 which I had bought at another guitar center in Boardman, Ohio, and a Crate FW15 I had bought at the nearby Brighton Music Center, and the pedal sounds great through both. It never got noisy (bad noisy) on any setting I could have made, they don't sound weak at all (except when it's not on) I couldn't get the sounds from my favorate bands like Metallica or Dragonforce but I never really tried. This was my first ever pedal I ever bought and I never tried it with other pedals so I can't judge that yet. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is he only negative thing about this pedal, the very day after I bought it, it failed, the light was on, The amp was turned on (obviously) and had the volume turned up on the amp and pedal and no sound as if nothing was plugged in. Needless to say, don't buy anything used. I would definatly not use it without a backup if it's going to die that easily. // 1

Overall Impression: I play around with Metal or Rock music and it matches good with those genres since Grunge is derived from those two. I've only been playing for a month or two and this is my first pedal ever so I can't compare it to anything else. If it died and someone stole it I'd think it would be funny, except everything else would likely to have been stolen too so I wouldn't be laughing, but I might go and buy it again. I love the fact that it can give me that heavy sound I need but the reliability is an issue. Other than better reliability, I would like a tad heavier sound. // 7

Grunge Reviewed by: shadow__666, on september 01, 2008

Purchased from: Rockshop

Ease of Use: Basically, if you can't figure this pedal out, you're an idiot. Four knobs, clearly marked inputs, all very self explanatory. Finding the exact tone you want can occasionally be a bit of a challenge, but once you find the tone you want it's like magic. // 9

Sound: I'm using it with my Schecter Tempest Extreme and crap 10W Ibanez amp that's soon to be replaced, alongside my Boss PW-10 wah pedal. I can say that while I allowed the store salesman to sell me this over a Boss DS1, if you want a lot of distortion this pedal is for you. I play a lot of alternative/grunge style rock which uses a lot of distortion, so it's perfect for me. It should also be pretty good for metal, provided you use it in tandem with a good overdrive. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's built like a small tank. I don't gig yet, but if I did I would feel more than comfortable using it without a backup, as long as I was running it through outlet power or had put in a new battery just before, as the battery life isn't the greatest. Get an adaptor, and this will be sweet. // 9

Overall Impression: As I previously mentioned I play alternative rock with heavy Grunge and shoegaze influences, so I was looking for a good fuzz-type pedal that could give me a lot of distortion without an excessively brutal metal sound. The Grunge is almost perfect for that. While it is quite often maligned on the forums, I can say that for what I paid and what the conversion rate is, I call it a steal. If it were lost or stolen I'd probably get another one, unless I had enough money for a Big Muff. Overall, a great distortion pedal worth every penny I paid. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: Ptak, on september 01, 2008

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Ease of Use: I could never get it to play Grunge! All I could get was bad distortion and laughable noisy feedback. The settings they give you to try are garbage too. Everything about it is laughable really. From it's purple exterior to it's terrible sound this pedal is a solid joke. // 1

Sound: I own a Epiphone G-400 and I play it on a Marshall AVT150. I play Grunge. This pedal isnt Grunge and it was a complete let down. I can't believe there are so many positive reviews. Straight up, if you want to play Nirvana, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Melvins and so on... then don't buy this disgrace of a "Grunge" pedal. // 1

Reliability & Durability: It's DigiTech. Get a Boss. Boss pedals are way better than DigiTech but what do you expect when you buy a pedal for 50 bucks? Pretty much I've got a glorified "Grunge" paper weight now but it's purple and a disgrace so I wouldn't even trust it for that. // 1

Overall Impression: Honestly I think I've used this pedal only a few times cause it was that terrible. Right now I use a Boss MT-2 and it can get you a closer Grunge sound than this pedal. don't buy this pedal, it's DigiTech and it's not Grunge. Get a ds-1 or something. seriously, youve all been warned now. // 1

Grunge Reviewed by: paradox_047, on september 01, 2008

Ease of Use: It's not that hard to get a nice sound quality, the knobs are very simple to use just turn them to your liking, and with the Grunge knob you can easily select how much of that thick, chunky, Grunge sound you would expect from a pedal like this. The manual includes some presets for the pedal itself and other pedals that can be combined with others to achieve the sound quality that is perfect for what you play. The manual is a pretty hefty encyclopedia of different pedals, it's fairly thick. // 9

Sound: I'm using with a Peavey Half-Stack and a Dean Razor. If you crank out all the knobs you definitely can run everyone out of the room with sound alone, if you want an idea of how loud it can be. It almost always has a level of distortion, even if all the knobs are tuned to 0. A sound quality not unlike Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and with the right amp settings, you can closely match the tone of Metallica, Motley Crue or other heavy/grunge artists. The level of distortin it can actually get you is a bit to much to the point were all you can here is basically feedback // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is very durable to say the least. Take for instance, if you what'soever for no reason decided to smash it with a hammer multiple times, it may still work. No, but I've dropped it and it seems to work fine still. My guitar fell off of it's stand and hit the pedal, and it actually took more damage than the pedal itself. I would definitely use it without a backup, however I strongly recommend, and cannot stress enough how much the Adapter is nescessary to fully enjoy the pedal. This thing drained my 9Vs in no time flat. // 8

Overall Impression: I tend to stay in the vicinity of classic rock; blues, metal, and pretty much everything inbetween. I've been playing for about 2 years now, playing for approximately 1-2 hours a day, however I still own just a Squier Strat which is what I normally play on, but the effect is not different from that I got on my friends Dimebag Razor. This being my first pedal, I didn't know what I was getting into. However I'm glad I went with this one. If it were stolen/lost for some reason I would change from this to a wah pedal or a multi-effects pedal, although there is nothing wrong with this one, just want to try something new. My favorite feature would be the distortion. Yeah, that's it.I've compared it to the Boss MT12 Distortion, I beleive it's called and you get the same, if not better distortion level and style. If it didn't kill the battery so quickly and have a little more controlled sound, it would be the distortion pedal. I liked it. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: icpgettozone, on september 30, 2008

Ease of Use: I'm goin to start out and say that any other stomp box can eat it's own heart out. If that gives you an idea about how I feel about this pedal then cheers to you. The sound I want and get very eaiseley is just pure raunch. Somthing that would make certian heavy metal bands cry. But the thing with this pedal is where you get raunch, using higher end pickups you can just cut right through all that sonic mayhem. I don't know wat ediing pitches is... Unless that questions asking about the knobos and all the play I get with them. IF that's wat the question is asking, then ig gets greaat editing pitches. I kept the box for the Hot head pedal I traded off for it and that came with a small manual which I presume would come with all stomp boxes and the wah wah pedal too. // 9

Sound: I'm using a 2007 or 2008 Transtube Peavey Studio Pro 112(which is bueatful and the spring reverb is to die for). I get some feed back here and there, but it might just be my old ass Ibanez EX 160, which isint even made any more. And it must be at least like 10 years old. I can absolutley get the sounds I want from certian bands. This pedal is so versitile tho. But I'm stil getting use to it so I can't tell you about every little sound I can get out of it. It works great with my DigiTech RP 90 as well. All sorts of efects sound cool with it, but in my opinion having tons of effects runnin can be fun, but is kinda over rated. Unless ur using somting suttle like reverb or a cool delay then it's all just for show. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this thing most deffentley. It's built like a tank just like all the other wonderful DigiTech products out there. If I wanted to bash somebodys head in with this for tyring to steal it. They'd be done for. I'm not in a band that dose gigs yet. Were just starting to get to that point, but this thing is mega reliable, I wouldn't dobut that this thing would work just peachy for a gig with no backup... // 9

Overall Impression: I love my Grunge pedal. And I'm so glad I traded it with that sucker for that weak ass Hot Head pedal. I have about 3 years of experince and like previousley stated. I own a nice ass peavy amp, and a Digi tech rp 90. it's not a bad rig, and it seems to be better than most other guitar playes I personally know. And the sound I get out of this rig along with my Ibanez and ESP LTD F 50, or my main guitar, a Jackson DK2M Can make ur face melt. Promise. But on top of all that. I had experince with the pedal before being my friend owned it, and I love the sound at first strum. If it broke or was lost or stolen, I woulndnt make a big shit about it. Just go out and get another. Corse ide be pissed tho. I don't really hate anything about it. Just love. Sorry if I got a little too graphic. But guitar playing and all that is really my cup of tea. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: col50, on december 04, 2008

Price paid: C$ 40

Purchased from: Long and Mquade

Ease of Use: It's very easy to use. 4 knobs: loud, low, high, Grunge. Easy to use right away out of the box without reading anything. The manual is pretty useful but if you have used pedals before you should have no problem. There is no upgrades for it because it's a basic pedal and it's easy to use. // 10

Sound: I use an Epiphone lp-100 with it and the pedal gives decent distortion considering the price. It can get noisy if you crank it up a lot but if you just use it at low to middle loudness it's not as noisy. You can get some pretty decent tones out of it similar to thrash metal bands and hard rock bands. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had the pedal for 2 years now and I have never had a problem with it. I would probably gig it without a backup because the pedal is reliable. I have actually had a small practice amp fall onto the pedal and the pedal surprisingly still worked after that. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and shred and it's great for distortion. I have been playing for a few years now and the pedal is still in great condition. It gives off really nice distortion, I wish it would have a built in noise discriminator because sometimes the feedback can be quite bad. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: Teen Spirit, on february 25, 2009

Price paid: € 39.99

Purchased from: Musik Schmidt

Ease of Use: As simple as it gets. You buy it, open it, plug it in, and start playing. There's four knobs. The one on the left is "Loud", which is the volume. The second and third ones from the left are the "High" and "Low" knobs. The "High" knob controls the treble, the "Low" knob controls the bass. This pedal gets you a decent range of sounds, and with more "High" you can get a crunchy, heavy sound with great distortion (think Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Bush, Seether), and more "Low" gets you a deeper sound (less of the harsh distortion the "High" gets you, and a deeper sound.) Sensible settings can get you a good mix, and you can achieve your own preferred sound, whether it's slightly more metal-based, Grunge-based or just generally shrill/heavy distortion. The knob on the very right is "Grunge", which is pretty much the gain. Overall, this pedal gets you a decent variety of sounds. It is easy to get different sounds, but it isn't easy to find one that is perfect on both the treble and the bass. I found it difficult to adjust to a sound which didn't have too much of the harsh, shrill distortion or too much of the booming bass boost. This pedal, as it's name suggests, is made more for the use of treble-based distortion, and heavier, more Grunge-based sounds. I would ONLY recommend this pedal if your playing style goes along the lines of bands with a good level or shrill distortion, such as (as previously listed) Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Bush, Seether, Green River, Rage Against The Machine and other bands along the punk/metal-based grunge/post-grunge/metal line. // 8

Sound: I play through various amplifiers, but mainly Roland. I find that turning the "High" knob or the "Grunge" knob high gets you too much distortion for anything (apart from maybe Mudhoney). Think of the intro to "Touch Me I'm Sick" by Mudhoney, a Grunge anthem: the distortion is shrill, harsh, and completely Grunge. This is the kind of sound this pedal produces well, and I would strongly recommend it for you if this is what you want. With a bit less treble and a bit more bass boost, you can get sounds similar to that of Nirvana. This pedal also works well for such artists. Adjusting the treble lower still and the bass higher still, you get a more metal-based sound. Anything from Alice In Chains to Metallica. However, if you are looking for normal, plain distortion/mainstream rock distortion/professional, recording-use distortion, I would definetely not recommend this. (For that purpose, a DS-1 would do you much more good.) In short, the "High" and "Grunge" knobs are great if it's the kind of stuff you're looking for, but the "Low" knob doesn't do much, as this pedal doesn't sound any good unless you're using it for treble-based sounds. I play mostly Grunge, such as Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Bush, Seether, of course my own stuff, and the early, Grunge-based stuff from Nickelback when they first came out. This pedal works well for most of this stuff, but if you want slightly more of a professional/modern distortion sound, it wouldn't work. As for post-Grunge, it really depends as post-Grunge is a wide category. Some of Creed's material sounds alright on this, such as "My Own Prison" or "What's This Life For", but a bit more amateur. This pedal definetely works better for Live performances than recording, as it gets you the thrill and heavy distortion of a good rock performance. What was disappointing was that I can't get the sounds that match the slightly more technical bands of the Grunge era, such as Pearl Jam, Soundgarden or Stone Temple Pilots. These bands use a slightly higher quality distortion which cannot be attained with this pedal. Songs such as "Once" by Pearl Jam can of course be played alright, but other sounds such as in the songs "Rearviewmirror", "Corduroy" and such cannot be found. The same goes for Soundgarden. If you want a "Black Hole Sun" or "The Day I Tried To Live" sound, this wouldn't work. It works for more of the earlier, punk/metal-based distortion as I've said earlier, mainly along the lines of Mudhoney, Green River and Nirvana. Overall, not a bad sound, but it REALLY depends on what you play. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Nothing has happened to this pedal yet, and it's very solid and well-built. I doubt it would be damaged easily. The "Grunge" knob did come a little loose after a while, but it doesn't slide out of place or anything, and the sound is still as good as new. I believe that I can depend on this pedal, and as for using it on a gig without a backup, it depends on what you play. If you're paranoid, go on and take your backup, if you think it'll be fine, go out and rock. I personally trust this pedal. Very well-built. // 9

Overall Impression: If you play Grunge or anything with heavy distortion, this pedal is perfect. You can really rock with it. But if you need normal, straightforward distortion, like I said before get a DS-1. This is for Grunge, as the name suggests. I have owned it for a few months now, and if it were stolen/lost, I would most probably buy another one. I love the way it gets you a muddy, grungy sound, and the "High" knob is fantastic. However, unfortunately it does NOT get you a normal, recording-type of distortion. Overall, this is perfect for MUDDY, SHIRLL/HARSH, Grunge-BASED DISTORTION. For anything else, I wouldn't recommend it. This pedal is well-built, if it's the sound you want it is terrific, and I hope those of you Who buy it will enjoy it a lot. Rock on, Grunge forever :) // 8

Grunge Reviewed by: toyboxmonster, on march 27, 2009

Price paid: C$ 25

Purchased from: Spaceman Music

Ease of Use: The DigiTech Grunge has four knobs: Loud (volume), Low, High, and Grunge (Gain). It is a hard pedal to get a good sound out of in the sense that if you were to turn the Low, High, and Grunge knobs to random positions and turn the pedal on, chances are that it wouldn't sound very good. I've found that, however uninformative the manual is, the settings that it provides are essential in using the DigiTech Grunge. I highly recommend dialing in whichever one of the provided settings sounds most like the one you need, and then working from there. Using this method, I've managed to dial in every sound that I've wanted out of the Grunge. // 8

Sound: I've seen and heard much criticism of the Grunge's sound, and I think there's a very simple reason for all of the negative feedback. DigiTech markets the Grunge as a distortion, but in truth, it bears the characteristics of a fuzz. This pedal is a very versatile one, but it does not achieve sounds similar to, say, a DS-1 or a Rat. Rather, it can emulate the Big Muff, the Fuzz Face, etc... This is a very low-fi, noisy pedal, but for fans of Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth, Mudhoney, and Babes in Toyland, that's exactly what is needed. I've played this pedal with high-output humbuckers, low-output humbuckers, and single-coils, and in each case, it's been able to achieve the aggressive, snarling fuzz that I wanted out of it. For the Grunge or noise-rock artist on a budget, this is the ideal sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As with all other DigiTech products, the Grunge has some obvious flaws. First off, the battery compartment under the foot-plate is practical but involves small and easy-to-lose parts. Secondly, the "foot" under the plate is made of rubber and feels as though it could break off any minute. Lastly, the knobs feel very fragile. I obtained mine used and the Grunge knob was already very loose. // 5

Overall Impression: I owned a USA Big Muff immediately before obtaining this pedal and was dissatisfied with the amount of low-end it produced. The DigiTech Grunge can produce exactly the kind of high-frequency wall of fuzz that I needed. I play ambient noise-pop and this pedal is ideally suited for this genre of music. I only got this to use until I can get my hands on a Zvex Fuzz Factory, but I won't have the money for that for a while, and this is the next best thing. The reason for all the criticism of this pedal is simply that kids buy this to recreate Nirvana' sound, which this pedal simply does not do. I once read a review that stated that if the Grunge were a boutique pedal with a crazy name, it would sell better. I wholeheartedly support this view; this is exactly the sort of low-fi noise that is used for Grunge, hardcore, shoegazing and experimental rock. // 8

Grunge Reviewed by: RealGuitarHero, on june 19, 2009

Ease of Use: It was pretty easy for me to get the sound I wanted out of this thing. I don't actually own the pedal, but I do use it on a regular basis when I go to band practice, seeing as it is a staple in the bass players guitar rig(he plays guitar as well as bass). It's just your run of the mill distortion pedal. // 8

Sound: I run this thing through a Crate amp. It sounds much better then the amp's regular distortion in my opinion. While our bassist bought it because he is a big Nirvana fan, and thought it would give him a sound similar to Kurt's, I find that the sound I get out of it is reminiscent of early an blink-182 sound. This works pretty well for us because we're a Pop-Punk band. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is rugged. I don't think it would break if I through it across concrete. If I was to gig with it, which I wouldn't because I have my own setup, I wouldn't bring along a backup. I would use it as a back up for my Tube King though, just in case. Overall though. I can depend on it through and through. // 10

Overall Impression: I like this thing, a lot better then I thought I would when I just saw it in the store. I really think it's a bad ass pedal if you're into punk music especially. I've played through many distortion pedals and this is one of my favorites. I don't think I would actually buy one, because I'm happy with my distortion though. The color of the pedal is pretty cool too. // 8

Grunge Reviewed by: SchuldinerDeath, on april 23, 2010

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Ease of Use: This pedal is my favorite one I own. It comes with a booklet that shows different tonal settings. It's pretty easy to get the sound you want out of it. The manual that came with the pedal was very helpful. I set mine to the "insane" setting the booklet gave me. I gotta say, this pedal gets me the tone I want for metal. // 10

Sound: I use my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Marshall MG100DFX amplifier, and Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal. This pedal is not noisy at all. It is as quiet as a mouse. But when you start shredding, this pedal will make you ears bleed. The effects on this pedal are amazing, they always sound good. I get the sound I want out of it, The "insane" setting the booklet gives you sounds just like the band Death on their album, Human. I absolutely love my tone. All of the effects on this pedal are good, because their's only 3! High, low and loud. That's all you need. I'm a simple metal head looking to tear it up, I don't need contour settings and all that crap. Like I said, it's my favorite pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can always depend on this pedal, except there's one problem.. This pedal eats the battery life. I unplug everything when not in use, and still, it's battery dies faster than my other pedals. I would definitely bring a backup to a show, unless I had an adapter. It's a good pedal. The sound will make you so happy. // 8

Overall Impression: I play death/thrash/progressive metal. This pedal is called "grunge" but it does the job for metal well. I've been playing for 2 years, I use an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Marshall MG 100DFX and Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal. I wish I had known about the short battery life.. but that's fine because I have an adapter for it now. If it were stolen, I would most likely go and buy another. I love the sound coming from the pedal, I also adore the purple "crack" finish. I just hate the battery life in it, that's all. My favorite feature is its ease of use. 3 knobs, that's all I need. Haha. I compared this pedal to other equally priced distortion pedals. This one blew the others clear out of the water. $50 for an amazing metal sound? I think so. This is the perfect guitar effects pedal for the prefect price. Couldn't have asked for more. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 24, 2010

Purchased from: dolphinmusic.co.uk

Ease of Use: Loud, Low, High and Grunge is all you need to get awesome tones out of this box of wonders. It is soooooo easy to set up I think a toddler could do it! It comes with a catalog of all the pedals up to date and each one includes 4 settings for the pedal which is very handy once you know them off by heart. // 10

Sound: I use a Vintage AV1H through a Kustom double speaker combo. On the 'Insane' setting (in the catalogue) there is too much noise even with low volume so you will definitely need a noise gate if you want to use that setting, you could roll back the volume on your GUITAR but that would defeat the whole point of 'Insane'. You can get a very crunchy Slash-like sound out of this pedal but it does not work well with chorus or any synth like effects e.g. Flanger, phaser. It DOES go with a Wah quite well though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm very clumsy and I've dropped it loads on concrete floor and tiles and there doesn't seem to be a single scratch on it which I'm glad of because its a very nice paint job. I wouldn't even consider a backup its tougher than a rock, it doesn't fry the 9 volt battery (included with my one). // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy rock and Grunge (obviously) and its a very good match to them both, it is a little to heavy for hard rock as the Grunge knob doesn't really do much, but i recently (today) found out that I could clean the sound up by rolling the volume back on my guitar so thats 1 problem solved. I play with a Vox V847 Wah been playing for 6 months now and it works very well with it. I haven't got any regrets in buying this pedal its the work of God and i wouldn't use any other. I would buy the same one if i lost it without even thinking about it. I love the fact that the eq controls massively change the tone in this, but I have got 2 problems with it: 1. The power indicator LED has blown and doesn't work so its a guess with this pedal and there is something that looks like rust developing inside the pedal but I highly doubt it I comparede it to so many others that I lost count! This one happened to be the cheapest I looked at but it had the crunch which is what I look for in a distortion pedal. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: zacharykt338, on august 12, 2010

Ease of Use: It is very easy to get good quality sound our of this effects unit. It is basically built just like a standard stomp box, a single-effect distortion pedal. It is simple to operate, and the manual does include different modes and sounds you can get from experimenting with the different settings on it. The sound is great especially when it is connected to a decent amp. It is quite versatile, and to me an overall asset in playing heavier types of music. // 9

Sound: For the DigiTech Grunge, I have it hooked up usually with my guitar, which is an Ibanez RG350. This then gets fed out into my Roland 15x Cube amp. The effects unit is relatively quiet on lower EQ settings, such as the Low knob, but if you crank up the High knob you tend to get more sharp edged sound, but at the same time really noisy feedback. Also, they'll be a bit of a buzz in your sound if the distortion is too high, which is sometimes quite annoying. The best settings for this unit, for the best sound and tone quality is to have lower EQ settings, with medium amount of distortion, which is Grunge knob, and with medium volume amount, which is the Loud knob. Its best that the volume be higher than the actual gain, for the sound is definitely greater, and your playing will sound clearer. The distortion effect is definitely not weak, and can sometimes be too great. Its good, but when its too high it can be bad. The sound I can usually get is strong, and good for playing alternative rock to metal genres. I have managed to play artists like Megadeth, Slayer, Trivium, and The Smashing Pumpkins. The distortion is good to have, for a very strong, sharp sound, but can be bad when set too high. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal. It was one of the first distortion pedals I bought, and I still use it to this day in gigs and jam sessions. It is quite durable, and built quite well. I would use it on a gig, but the power tends to fail, so its good to have maybe a backup one. Overall, a great pedal, unique in terms of its sound, and good for live shows and gigs. // 8

Overall Impression: The style of music I play is usually quite diverse. But this pedal is definitely satisfying when it comes to playing heavy alternative rock music like Nirvana and The Smashing Pumpkins, and also to even heavier genres like metalcore. Music from artists such as Children of Bodom, Trivium, and All That Remains can also definitely be reached with this pedal. I have been playing for 2 years, and this pedal has definitely been great in defining my sound and enhancing it. It is very reliable, and I may get it again should it get lost or stolen, not only because it is quite cheap, but it sounds amazing! I love the loud, dirty distortion that it can create, and that is my favorite feature, but I do also hate the amount of feedback it can also produce when the settings are too high. I chose this pedal because it seemed to be a good pedal, and it seemed to versatile and it fits the music I love playing. // 8

Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 01, 2010

Ease of Use: One of the easiest pedals to manipulate. Four dials: One Volume, Two Equalizers, and a "Grunge" dial which affects the distortion. Mine is probably one of the earlier models, so the pedal has more of a button than a stomp-box. It is non-slip and takes up some room on a pedal layout. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with no other effects, it is VERY loud at it's highest, at the lowest, the buzz is minute. It encompasses almost every genre of Metal or Grunge, at the lightest setting, it can be used to play Punk or Alternative. I play it with a Fender Stratocaster and it sounds great, I'd recommend placing the pickup selector for an "In-Between" setting to cut off some of the buzz it creates. For Noise Rock or experimental, the pedal can get some real weird nosies out of it. For solos, you'd best be off with another pedal, as even the slightest brush against the strings at a high setting will issue a scraping sound, but it pulls off rhythm very well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The build quality is unparallelled. It has a solid steel casing, with a heavy-duty pedal cover that can take an enraged foot stomp in the case of adrenaline-fueled solos. The rubber bottom prevents slipping, and it's hefty enough to stay down when jostled. I would play a gig with it, but I'd also take along another set of batteries, this thing KILLS them. // 8

Overall Impression: I play lots of Alternative, but I also play Funk and Punk. The pedal meshes together with most of my genres, but jazz and blues is where it falls. Dangerously heavy distortion, but it's worth every penny. I use strats, but I'm expecting it to sound just as good with my new Epiphone LP100. I would buy a new one if it were lost, it is a godly pedal, but as it is my only pedal, I would definitely enjoy it more if it could do lighter distortion and didn't eat batteries so fast. // 10

Grunge Reviewed by: Brad.milbrn95, on april 08, 2011

Purchased from: Dorsey Music

Ease of Use: The controls are pretty straightforward, with just volume, high, low, and "Grunge". "Grunge" is basically just gain. Within the manual, there are several suggested settings to get you started, but it's really not hard to figure it out. The pedal is for mid/heavy distortion, and it's difficult to get a light Overdrive tone (takes a lot of monkeying around on the guitar/amp, etc.). However, if you want anything from rock distortion to metal and mean leads, it's good to go. Also, even with my modeling amp, I can't get the kind of tones/level of distortion I get from this stomp without it sounding aweful and overly muddy. // 9

Sound: I'm running this pedal with a Fender FM65 DSP combo amp, and a Dunlop GCB-95 Original Wah pedal. I play a modded cheap Strat copy, which can actually sound decent thanks to this pedal. You can control the volume, so you can tweak it to where there's no difference in volume between clean and distorted sound, which I like. The effect is always powerful, as I mentioned. I can get the sounds I want out of it, which are anywhere from Grunge to heavy, high gain metal. I play Soundgarden through it all the time, and it handled Slipknot the other day just fine. I even play a little heavy blues off it once in a while. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a freakin' brick. I could drop it out a second story window onto pavement and still gig with it backup-free. One thing that I really like about this pedal is that it has recessed knobs, which means that I'm not constantly messing up the settings when I hit the switch. This makes it more gig-friendly. A new feature that must be a recent addition was the top-loading battery. The footswitch pops off by using a cable end, and you can just replace the battery. I read other reviews, and this was one of the main issues people had with its predecessors. Problem solved! // 10

Overall Impression: I play most genres blues-rock to metal, but mainly post-grunge alt metal. This is th eperfect distortion pedal for that range, because it's not too in-your-face if you don't want it to be, but it still has the power to do as heavy as I've ever wanted it to. I've been playing for, like, four years(?), and had this pedal since December of 2010. I did some pretty extensive research before buying this effect, so no regrets. If it were stolen, I'd find the guy and beat him senseless with that very pedal. Because I really like it. A lot. And it's heavy enough to be a good club. I love the simple controls and range of tones you can get from it. Less time wasted dialing in tones is always nice, so simplicity is a virtue for me. i compared this pedal to a whole rack full of effects in the store (on multiple occasions), and this was definitely my favorite. I played all the other DigiTech effects, and I wanted something between the HOT Rod and a Death Metal, so I ended up with this. I do, most of all, wish that this pedal had a midrange EQ knob. That would really open up the tone for me. Just preference, I suppose. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: Woffelz, on may 09, 2011

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: This distortion pedal is quite basic. It has four knobs: loud [volume], lows, highs and Grunge [distortion]. The manual that comes with this pedal is great. It tells you what everything on the pedal does [knobs, inputs and outputs, LED and power adapter jack]. It also tells you how to change the 9V battery easily. A small catalogue [no prices mentioned] comes with this unit too. It features other DigiTech pedals, recommended pedal settings and recommended pedal rigs that are meant to help you get the sounds you are after. This is a effect that is incredibly easy to use, but harder to get a high quality sound out of, given that the EQ knobs make too much of a difference to the sound. // 8

Sound: I used this pedal through my school's awful Marshall MG10CD amplifier using my Stagg L350 guitar. The pedal isn't noisy, but I signal definitely weakens when the pedal is connected. For metal rhythm guitar playing, this pedal definitely does better than the amp's distortion [the amp's distortion is horrid], but that's not exactly a great feat. I generally use this pedal with the neck humbucker of my guitar and I get a nice, mellow lead tone. I think the EQ knobs get too extreme. If you put the treble knob past half way, the tone goes treble crazy. Similar thing with the low knob - put the lows past 7, you get a very bassy tone. You need to be very careful with the EQ knobs to get a good tone out of this pedal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built like a tank. It definitely doesn't look breakable. The chassis is ridiculously hard and I definitely don't imahgine it will be broken anytime soon. The Grunge pedal has never failed me and I would definitely use it at a gig with no backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal mainly and this is a good match. I've been playing for over 4 years and I have also play this pedal with an Ibanez RG120 and a Roland Cube 15X [the distortion is good enough on that amp, so that's why I don't use it with it. If I did, it would be a downgrade]. I do not own any other pedals to compare it too. Before I bought this pedal, I just wish I knew how extreme the EQ was - it's too easy to get a muddy tone with this EQ. I love how durable this pedal is, but I hate the difficult EQ. I bought this product because it was cheap and because I didn't like the distortion on the Marshall MG10CD that my school owns. If this pedal was stolen, I would probably buy a better model with an EQ that is easier to use. // 8

Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 08, 2011

Purchased from: online

Ease of Use: It's relatively easy to get a good sound out of it. You have 4 knobs: Loud, Low, High, Grunge. Loud is for volume. Low is for low end, High is for high end, and Grunge is for distortion. Just tweak it a bit to get a good sound. The manual contains some presets, but most of them are too trebly for me. // 6

Sound: I'm playing through a Jackson RR3 with a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck that's going through a Fender Mustang on a custom preset. It relies as much on your amp settings as it does the pedal settings themselves. I can get a bit of a Soundgarden-ish sound out of this when I want. Think along the lines of "The Day I Tried To Live". It can get a LOT heavier than that, though. Scoop your mids, crank the bass all the way up, and put the treble to 6 on your amp. Put the high on 9 o'clock, low on 3 o'clock, loud at about 12 o'clock and turn the Grunge all the way up. INSTANTLY HEAVY SOUND. Use it with a noise gate to stop feedback. This pedal WILL feed back if you don't mute it or turn down the volume. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I LOVE using this pedal for what it's worth. It's made out of metal, and I've never broken anything no matter how hard I can jump or stomp on it. It's worth using at a gig if you have the right settings. Use it even if you don't have backup. Just be careful not to let it feed back and get too high pitched or else you and your audience WILL go deaf. Hearing it feedback through a practice amp at normal volume is torture enough. Having it feed back live when it's cranked? You'll say ow. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought this because I used to be a Grunge fan. I thought it was the coolest pedal in the world. Nowadays, I play with a black metal-esque technique. It's still really good even for black metal. I've been going about 3 years as a guitarist and this has never let me down. If it got stolen (I would NOT lose it, it's too good) I would probably expierment with other pedals, but there's a very good chance I would buy it again. I like how heavy it can get, but I also hate how it can get very high-pitched and scratchy if the EQ's not right. I used to use a Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive before this, and I think the Grunge is better suited for me. I'm more of a black metal player than a Grunge one, but this pedal serves me well by itself. It all depends on your EQ level on your amp and on the Grunge. // 9

Grunge Reviewed by: Gabe_Esp, on september 13, 2011

Purchased from: Used at guitar center.

Ease of Use: Fairly easy to use, sometimes its hard to get a good sound out of it ( it helps if you use 3 cables for best sound ) // 8

Sound: Its not very noisy at at all, a little depending on the your setup, but its not the quietest pedal. I tried using this for death metal because the DigiTech Death Metal sounds shitty at high volumes. Its very heavy for a Grunge pedal, Like if you want to get sounds like some soft nirvana songs then this isn't the pedal for you. This pedal is a great choice for sludge metal ( mastodon, Melvins ) Good for harcore punkrock ( dead kennedys), Hard rock ( shinedown), old school trash ( megadeth) IT isn't the best pedal in the world but for the price range it sounds pretty awesome. Its terrible for blues and not so great for classic rock ( unless its a distorted tone) // 8

Reliability & Durability: Pretty reliable, could use it on a gig without backup but its the most durable pedal in the world but its pretty durable. // 8

Overall Impression: Its not a good match for my style but it would be perfect for beginners that like sludge, grunge, hard rock. I have been playing for four and a half years, I know gear pretty well ( turning into a gear head) its not the best but one of the best for its price. IF your more of a oldschool sludgey rocker this is a pretty good choice for you, if your a post hardcore kid you could get some good tones also. I don't recommend this pedal to some who has been playing 4 or more years. Perfect for some one who has been playing for 2-3 years. // 8

Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2011

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to use, and there's nothing you haven't seen if you're familiar with distortion pedals. "Loud" is level and "Grunge" is distortion - no surprises there. "Low" and "High" are bass and treble. Again, nothing tricky if you know your distortion pedals. // 8

Sound: I'm using the Grunge with a Maton into a Fender '76 Pro Reverb. The "grunge" (distortion) knob isn't going to give you every conceivable level of distortion; what it'll give you is everything from "rock" to "ROCK!". The level knob is only useful in a certain range. At its lowest it mutes everything, a bit higher than that compromises your sound like turning down the volume with the knob on your guitar, then the useful range goes from about 9 to 1 or 2 o'clock. I found that it sucked some treble and/or mid frequencies at settings higher than that, but this is a loud pedal and you shouldn't need it that high. It's the low and high tone knobs that really make this pedal. For what I paid for the pedal brand new, I couldn't have complained if there were no tone knobs and the natural tone was too muddy or screechy to be useable, but the Grunge's level of tonal control would be impressive on a pedal three times its price. One important caveat: this pedal will produce feedback with any useable settings. You should know straight away if this is a deal breaker for you. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It isn't built like a tank like a Boss or a Line 6 pedal, but it's too early to say how durable it is. It's pretty light. The pedal is painted to look as if it's cracked, but I haven't managed to put any real cracks in it yet. Then again it's only been a few hours. // 7

Overall Impression: This is more of a fun pedal for screwing around with than something I'd use for recording, although that isn't out of the question. It's good for hard rock (including, yes, "grunge"), metal, punk and hardcore and useable but not ideal for dirty blues. You can't really get milder distortion out of it, so it's not good for The Kinks, Stones etc. It's also only slightly fuzzy, so it's not what you'd want for Hendrix, Smashing Pumpkins or whatever. It'll probably do that raspy sound on the first Stooges album. The Grunge pedal is good enough to transcend its gimmicky name without being sensational. It's good if you're on a budget or if, like me, you collect pedals compulsively and are also willing to try out a cheap one. // 7

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Drop 8.2 Guitar Effects 09/26/2014