Hyper Phase Stereo Phaser Review

review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Hyper Phase Stereo Phaser Reviewed by: Gab_Azz, on may 29, 2014

Price paid: € 90

Purchased from: Olympus Music

Ease of Use: Having 7 different types of phaser requires to first start by choosing the type of phaser you wish to use before start setting the other parameters. The seven settings are printed/painted below the knobs making it convenient if you require changes quickly during a performance where you would not use the manual. Once you choose the right effect, then you need to set up the speed, depth and regen of the effect. The manual has a brief description of all the features on the pedal. It also depicts two ways of connecting the pedal, one to amplifier and another how to connect is to a mixer. The manual is lacking suggested settings. Then there is a sort of advertising/magazine of other pedals in its range where there are 4 suggested settings.

The pedal has a built in cabinet modelling, but this requires to be activated each time the pedal is switched on. This allows to connect the pedal directly into a mixer without using an amplifier. I never used this in a performance and I would not recommend it. // 7

Sound: This pedal is the pedal that gives my sound character. Actually, it is my signature sound. Typically I use it on clean sounds in conjunction with the DigiTech DigiDelay. Mostly I use it where I would like something less subtle than a Chorus effect, something more particular and distinctive. The way I set it up is as follows:

Speed: slowest.
Depth: just below the 8 line.
Regen: half way between 8 & 9.
Type: 1

Even though it's considered as a lower priced pedal it has a nice sound. (Note that the price I bought it for is relatively expensive, this may have been effected by the taxes locally at the time that I bought it.) The pedal features 7 different modes of phasing. Those are controlled by the type knob. This gives the pedal quite a number of different sounds to it. I prefer the first one as it is the most natural sounding in my opinion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Electronics are enclosed inside a metal Casting making the pedal durable. At first I thought that the switch may be a weak point but I have been using this pedal for about 10 years and it never failed. The pedal came with a 5 year warranty that I never needed as the pedal never failed. I am not sure if the warranty does apply in my country but, the pedal never failed within that period. The long knobs, being so long are easy to hit so if you avoid that, the pedal should not give you problems.

The pedal has quick side release to open the battery hatch. I use a power supply unit to connect the pedal, a DC Brick by MXR. // 8

Overall Impression: I use this pedal mostly to play rock/metal. I use it on clean introductions or breaks. I have been using this pedal for around 10 years. It is one of the pedals that I got early in my guitar life. I previously had a flanger but as soon as I got this pedal I never used the flanger again as this phaser is way more natural sounding. I typically place this pedal as the penultimate pedal in my loop just before the delay. I never place it before the pre-amp, I always use the amplifier effects loop and feed the signal to the power amp. feeding the phaser I use an MXR M-108 equaliser that I keep always on.

Being a pedal that I got in the early days, when I was upgrading gear it was a pedal that I tried to replace with more expensive pedals about a couple of times. But when I tried other pedals I never found the right one that I could obtain my signature sound out of it. This may be because this pedal has 4 parameters that can be set while most of the other phaser pedals have less controls.

The thing that I hate about this pedal is the rubber part where you are supposed press the pedal. It gets quite dirty instantly with the dust and dirt form the shoes and is notoriously difficult to get it clean, and I like my gear to always be clean. I really love the sound of the pedal and I think it is the pedal that makes my playing stand out. This pedal gives character to my guitar sound. // 8

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ RP355 8.6 Guitar Effects 08/04/2014