JamMan Looper Review

9.7
reviews (2) pictures (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
JamMan Looper Reviewed by: RossZ88, on june 17, 2011

Purchased from: Saratoga Guitar

Ease of Use: The DigiTech JamMan Looper can record up to 6 1/2hrs of seamless looping and overdubbing. The JamMan is a dual twin pedal that is very easy to use. The pedal on the left is the Rec/Play/Overdub function. This starts the looping process. Once you have your loop recorded you can press the same pedal again to start your loop. After the loop has started playing, hit it one more time to start overdubbing. It's that easy. The other pedal is the Stop/Tempo function. This will stop the recording of the loop, pretty simple. Getting sound out of the pedal is very simply, just plug your guitar in, set your instrument level output on the pedal, the loop level output, and finally set your level on whatever amp or PA you are using. The JamMan also includes basic rhythm tracks and a metronome. Tempo can be controlled via the Stop/Tempo pedal. The pedal also has a dedicated XLR input and Mic level knob. Say you want to save a really cool loop sample, storing is simple. Just select a bank on the unit, record your loop, and press store. You can then access that patch at a later time and have your saved loop ready to go. The JamMan comes with a manual which is very straight forward and easy to read. Operation wise it only took a couple of minutes to get acquainted with the manual to really understand the full scope of the pedal. Most of my experience with the pedal was just constant practice and live application. // 10

Sound: I use the JamMan with my Larrivee LV-03RE acoustic, LR Baggs Venue D.I., and Boss DD-7. My PA is a Fishman SA 220. I have my chain set up as: Guitar-LR Baggs Venue D.I.-Boss DD 7-JamMan-Fishman SA 220. I use the Venue D.I. with the JamMan because the pedal sucks a little bit of tone out of my signal from the guitar. Therefore, I use the Venue D.I. to get back some of the lost tone and balance my signal. The sound is basically whatever you record is what will come out of it. YOU are in control of the loop sound. Having a good tone setup prior to recording is something to keep in mind. Also, getting the volume level of your instrument and the loop balanced is a must to avoid drastic volume changes when starting and stopping the loop. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The JamMan unit it built to be played. During gigs with the unit I'm constantly stomping on the pedal and it continues to hold up. I've only had this unit fixed once and it was to repair a loose input jack. I literally depend on this pedal for my gigs because it's the crux of my act. I gig with a backup because I'm a professional and having a backup is a must. Ya never know when a unit will go wacky or something will happen to it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play in a Acoustic pop duo and a lot of our songs require me to play multiple parts. Having the JamMan on stage allows me the ability to play those parts and create a new sound to the duo. This pedal, as stated earlier, is a vital part of my Acoustic rig. If it were lost or stolen I'd get a new one ASAP. I love the features of the pedal, and what it can allow a performer to do. Plus, it really requires you to hone in on your rhythm and timing. The JamMan does not lie. If you start the loop off the beat, it will be noticed. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it sort of sucks the tone out of the incoming signal which requires the use of an auxiliary pre-amp to help balance frequencies. The JamMan is very easy to use and very applicable to live situations, and jam sessions! // 9

JamMan Looper Reviewed by: dj46, on september 11, 2014

Price paid: A$ 145

Purchased from: Zzounds

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, checked the instruction card once, picked it up almost straight away. Click once to start recording a loop, again to stop recording and play. Click once while loop is playing starts overdub, again to stop recording the overdub and play it. Hold the switch for 2 seconds while playing to undo an overdub. Push the switch twice stops the playback, and pushing and holding the switch for 2 seconds while playback is stopped erases the memory. The manual is great; a piece of card with the functions and light explanations on one side, and the warranty and company information the other! Couldn't be simpler. // 10

Sound: This looper adds little or no noise to the circuit, and it has a volume knob to adjust the level of the loop. Stereo in and out is a welcome feature, as I also have a stereo delay which this fits in nicely with. I used to have a little noise when using the optional 9V battery, but now use a power supply and this problem is gone. It creates a great effect of multiple guitars (as any looper should when used properly), but I recommend that it is placed at the end of the effects chain (that is, between the amp and the other effects) to ensure that the sound you put into the pedal when recording the loop comes out the amp when playing back. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Very solid body, easily dependable upon, would not expect issues for at least 5 years or more. Strong finish, strong push-switch, and heavy-duty volume knob are all part of the package. I know I can always depend on this great little pedal for gigging, and not have to worry about it holding up to me standing on its switch. The finish is heavy-duty metallic blue that I'm sure will not be fading in a hurry. It is also very small in a great size for fitting into already tight pedal boards, and the velcro I use adheres well to the back of the pedal, ensuring it stays well stuck on during transport. // 10

Overall Impression: This looper is excellent for me, as I do not use it much, mainly for practicing and jamming with, but it is so easy to use I can use it effectively and efficiently without having to worry about other knobs, menus and features. For someone who wants a simple, effective and relatively cheap looper pedal, the Jamman Express is the way to go. Although you cannot save more than one loop (with overdubs) in the looper at once (when you record another loop you must first delete the saved loop), this is not a problem for me as I do not use the looper as an extensive part of my playing, usually only practicing. If you want to store loops, the Jamman Solo XT is better in that it can store up to 200 loops with an memory card, in a similar size, but is just another AUD$80. // 9

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ RP355 8.6 Guitar Effects 08/04/2014