JamMan Looper Review

9.7
review (1) pictures (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
JamMan Looper Reviewed by: RossZ88, on june 17, 2011

Purchased from: Saratoga Guitar

Ease of Use: The DigiTech JamMan Looper can record up to 6 1/2hrs of seamless looping and overdubbing. The JamMan is a dual twin pedal that is very easy to use. The pedal on the left is the Rec/Play/Overdub function. This starts the looping process. Once you have your loop recorded you can press the same pedal again to start your loop. After the loop has started playing, hit it one more time to start overdubbing. It's that easy. The other pedal is the Stop/Tempo function. This will stop the recording of the loop, pretty simple. Getting sound out of the pedal is very simply, just plug your guitar in, set your instrument level output on the pedal, the loop level output, and finally set your level on whatever amp or PA you are using. The JamMan also includes basic rhythm tracks and a metronome. Tempo can be controlled via the Stop/Tempo pedal. The pedal also has a dedicated XLR input and Mic level knob. Say you want to save a really cool loop sample, storing is simple. Just select a bank on the unit, record your loop, and press store. You can then access that patch at a later time and have your saved loop ready to go. The JamMan comes with a manual which is very straight forward and easy to read. Operation wise it only took a couple of minutes to get acquainted with the manual to really understand the full scope of the pedal. Most of my experience with the pedal was just constant practice and live application. // 10

Sound: I use the JamMan with my Larrivee LV-03RE acoustic, LR Baggs Venue D.I., and Boss DD-7. My PA is a Fishman SA 220. I have my chain set up as: Guitar-LR Baggs Venue D.I.-Boss DD 7-JamMan-Fishman SA 220. I use the Venue D.I. with the JamMan because the pedal sucks a little bit of tone out of my signal from the guitar. Therefore, I use the Venue D.I. to get back some of the lost tone and balance my signal. The sound is basically whatever you record is what will come out of it. YOU are in control of the loop sound. Having a good tone setup prior to recording is something to keep in mind. Also, getting the volume level of your instrument and the loop balanced is a must to avoid drastic volume changes when starting and stopping the loop. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The JamMan unit it built to be played. During gigs with the unit I'm constantly stomping on the pedal and it continues to hold up. I've only had this unit fixed once and it was to repair a loose input jack. I literally depend on this pedal for my gigs because it's the crux of my act. I gig with a backup because I'm a professional and having a backup is a must. Ya never know when a unit will go wacky or something will happen to it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play in a Acoustic pop duo and a lot of our songs require me to play multiple parts. Having the JamMan on stage allows me the ability to play those parts and create a new sound to the duo. This pedal, as stated earlier, is a vital part of my Acoustic rig. If it were lost or stolen I'd get a new one ASAP. I love the features of the pedal, and what it can allow a performer to do. Plus, it really requires you to hone in on your rhythm and timing. The JamMan does not lie. If you start the loop off the beat, it will be noticed. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it sort of sucks the tone out of the incoming signal which requires the use of an auxiliary pre-amp to help balance frequencies. The JamMan is very easy to use and very applicable to live situations, and jam sessions! // 9

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Hyper Phase Stereo Phaser 8.5 Guitar Effects 05/29/2014