Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 01/31/2012 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion
This full-featured pedal delivers DigiTech's exclusive multi-distortion technology, offering users seemingly endless distortion types that can be morphed into a variety of combinations. There's also a normal signal out and an output for cabinet modeling, for use live, or in the studio.
 Ease of Use: 9.1
 8.6
 9.2
reviews (29) pictures (2) 81 comments vote for this gear:
Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: dimebag7, on september 28, 2005

Purchased from: some where in london

Ease of Use: This is a amazing pedal I love it. It's very easy to get a good sound out of this pedal, theres a morph knob that lets you go from AC/DC to Slayer. The manual is very easy to understand. But you wouldn't even need to read it because it's just that easy to use. // 9

Sound: My setup is a Fender DSP 65 throw the Matal Master to a Crybaby Wah-Wah Pedal to my Samick Avons, it's sounds great. It can be noisy if you put the level (sound) up high unless your amp volume is low. I can get any sound I want out of this pedal, bands like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Pantera, Metallica, Slayer. The sound out of this pedal is perfect for oldies or metal it has a wide range of distortion sounds. The maunal tells you how to get certain sounds. Like a low feed back setting to your own personal tour of hell (it actually says that in the book) and the sound is amazing for solos. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this thing without a backup for sure. It's build very strong, it's pretty heavy. I've jumped on this thing before and it still works as good as the day I got it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play most oldies and metal its a perfect match you can get any sound you want. I've been playing for about 2 years and I own a Fender DSP 65 and a Crybaby Wah-Wah Pedal (which I also think is great, but my amps distroin sucks). My favorite thing about this pedal is the morph knob its the shit I love it. I wouldn't want another distortion pedal. I've also looked at the Boss heavy metal pedal and I can get the same sound as that pedal on this pedal. There's setting in the manual that gives you the sound of the Boss Heavy Metal pedal. If it were stolen I'd rip the mothef--kers heart out. Then steal his money and buy a new one. // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: lp_dude_2, on october 04, 2004

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Ease of Use: This is a great pedal. It took me a little while of tweeking to get the sound I wanted but when I did it was worth it. The manual was great. It gave good suggestions for setting but I like my own. Plus it gave chains with other pedals for stuff like solos and super metal riffs. // 10

Sound: This thing gives you super heavy distortion to get those killer riffs. I was using my Ibanez (when I first got it I had a GSA60) with a humbucker at the bridge and to single coils at the mid and neck (I perfer this pickup setup). Now I use my new SA160 and it rules! There is a slight fret buzz but thats only if you have the amp up really loud. I can get sound from this pedal from Linkin Park to Kittie. Just about any rock/metal artist can be played by this pedal. This is a great distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Oh man you can defentally depend on this pedal. But don't use batteries because this thing eats them like a stoner with munchies, so get an adapter. And I wouldn't need a back up at all. I've had this pedal for about a year and a half and it has never let me down, never! // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is great for metal and also good for rock and even some clasic rock. I play metal and this is the only pedal I need. I've been playing for about two and a half years and I havent found a better distortion, and trust me I've used a lot. I just run it through an amp on clean and I'm set. I don't regret getting this pedal and you wont eather. If I ever lost it id get another one and if someone stole it id hang them with a guitar string, just kidding. Love the whole thing, hate nothing, and I love the morph feature, very easy to get different distortions. I compared it to a few Boss pedals, about two DOD pedals, and couldn't find one better then the metal master. // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2005

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: The distortion is dead simple-the more, the better. The EQ is crap: the bass knob does nothing but muffle palm muting. Treble is decent, but it could be better for lead guitarists' needs of a good solo pedal. Obviously, the level knob controls volume and if you put it at around halfway, it gives a little feedback if you dont start playing. Better shut the pedal off if youre not going to be playing with it on stage. // 8

Sound: One word can sum up the sound of this pedal: amazing. The distortion is crisp and definitive all the way up to about 8-then it just goes to strictly rhythm guitar. At around 5 on the morph (distortion) knob, you get great Iron Maiden/Judas Priest distortion. At 7-8, you get a nu-metal distortion. Lower down, though, it makes for decent blues and mild jazz stuff. Not so great for punk/grunge, but hey, they make a Grunge pedal, too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Decent construction, a little on the heavy side compared to a few of my Boss pedals, but who cares? It sits on the floor. As for durability, it fell down 15 feet of stairs coming out of my apartment in a rush. A little chip on the side and cracked plastic, but the pedal is still rock solid. I have a good idea my 80 bucks went into the construction. However, the level knob and morph knob are coming loose. Not sure if it's just from constant adjustment or from it's drop, but it's kind of annoying when I need to adjust a knob quickly and all it does is spin or adjust too much. // 10

Overall Impression: As stated from the title, this pedal is made for metal! Somewhat universal for alot of types of music, punk players stay away. I wish it would be a little better on the EQ standards, but I'm thoroughly impressed. I was really considering a Boss MT-2 to match my other pedals, but I just loved the punch this pedal gave for fast palm muting/heavy metal rhythm guitar. The MT-2 just seems to fade the faster you Pick. If you need a good metal distortion pedal or just a nice backup pedal, definitly give it a try. You won't regret it. // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2004

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty pain and simple, it's not complicated what so ever. There's only 4 nobs, so it's pretty easy to get around with this pedal. You got your Level, Low, High, and Morph controls at your command. The neat thing about the morph nob is that you can get different distortions from different pedals like DOD, Boss etc. Level, control the volume of the distortion, low and high mid. The higher the low eq the more "thump" you get the more High eq the shreding ear piercing. Personally I like to have a bit more "thump" into my distortion. I don't like to have ear piercing annoying distortion sounds. // 8

Sound: I'm using this pedal with a Marshall amp with a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, with a HFS Paul Reed Smith Treble (Bridge) pickup. Any of the setting with this pedal sounds great with my guitar, just depends on the type of distortion you like. Theres never a time where the distortion sounds weak, unless your running it off a battery. This pedal sucks the life out of batteries and i believe that this is the only down side about it. You definitely need a AC adaptor. Yeah I can pretty much get the sounds of artist I play music from Creed, Metallica, System Of A Down (close enough) Three Days Grace, and so on. Whatever distortion is distortion your never going to get the real true sound of what the particular artist gets / uses be creative. The level control on the pedal I find is weird. No matter how high I have the level up it'll never go above my level of my clean channel. So there'll be a drop in volume when switching to distortion. I find the effects vairies, I'll get a weak sound, and then I'll get some excellent sound (off batteries). // 6

Reliability & Durability: My experiences with this pedal, I'd have to say no, I can't really rely on this pedal. The sound is great and all, but taking it out and playing live, I'm nervous all the time, when I press down on the pedal, because it's cut out on me several times (and yes it's embarassing when you stomp on it and everything cuts out when your on a role!) This pedal is great for jam'n in the garage or just in your room with an adaptor, but live if your using batteries. Have fun but if you have a power case thingy, that powers all your pedals, rock on, but hey I'm not that desperate, I'll just stick to Boss pedals live. So yes I think I'd need a back up for live playing. // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 4 years. I'm self tought, never taken any lessons what so ever. I've tought others how to play. The reason why i started guitar was because i became bored in my old home town and there was nothing else to do. My style of music is mostly Rock, Alternative, Metal, Some punk (very picky about it, i'm not the biggest fan of punk). I find that this pedal is a good match, i can't complain it fulfills my needs with my styles. During the school year I play in coffe houses weekly, played serveral times for other peoples bands, and for assemblies, talent shows, and other coffe houses. I usually just go solo, unless my friend and I find a good song, or write an other, and put on a show. Other gear that I own Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion; Boss TR-2 Tremolo; Ibanez CF-7 Chorus and Flanger; Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Pedal. I compaired this pedal with the Boss MT-2, I decided to go with this one, because I though it had a bit more rock to it, and plus my friend told me i should go with the Metal Master, so i was like" what the hell", but now I've wished I've gone with the Boss MT-2. I prefer Boss over almost anything, I just like the sound, I'm not trying to trash this digitec pedal, it's just what kind of sound you prefer. The only thing I wish that this pedal had was more control over the distortion you get. Like being able to tweak it a lot more. After using it for a while, you become very limited to what kind of sounds you can recieve. Thats what I like about the Boss MT-2 is that you have the ability to change so much with it's setting (I think I'm going to trade and Pick up a Boss), but overall I think this pedal is good so I give it a 4. // 8

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: WrathOscuro, on august 20, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is extremely simple to use. There is a Level (volume of the pedal), Low, High, and "Morph" which controls what kind of distortion you have. There is an input jack, output jack, power supply, easy to replae battery under the cover, and of course just like every DigiTech pedal, an output for a mixer to use for recording. Pretty much your standard stuff here. It's not very hard to get a pretty good sound out of this either. // 10

Sound: The Metal Master sounds pretty much like what DigiTech attempted (and failed) to make the cheaper Death Metal distortion pedal. This pedal is one of the better distortion pedals out there at a retail price of $90. a lot of people often compare this to Boss's MT-2 Metal Zone. In my opinion, this sounds just slightly less real than the MT-2, but in my opinion, it's not enough of a difference to think that you made a mistake with your purchase. While there are a few better sounding distortion pedals out there, this is a pretty good one, and should do most of what you want. The lows are nice and bassy while the highs are pretty good and controllable as well. There are 3 distortion ranges on this pedal. The first third of the pedal is like a Vintage sounding distortion for the classic stuff such as AC/DC. Then there is a model which mimicks the sound of the DigiTech Death Metal pedal (which sounds better than the real thing) which can be used for a lot of Industrial kind of rock and metal, and then the last bit of it is obviously the most extreme. Great for Death and Thrash Metal. The Metal Master does not deliver that best tone in the world for when you want to solo, unless you pair it up with a bunch of reverb. It also sounds Digital, and slightly fuzzy, but it's not enough to steer most people away. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's made of metal casing, so if you drop it, it shouldn't be damaged that badly. However, I cannot get the battery compartment to work with this pedal, so that's a hit or miss. I'm not sure if a lot of DigiTech's Metal Masters are like this or not. However, a power supply should be used anyway, because stomp boxes suck the juice out of batteries QUICK. The power supply jack works perfectly fine. // 6

Overall Impression: I've played this pedal with a Schecter Omen 6, BC Rich Beast (bronze), Washburn Telecaster Copy, and a BC Rich V (platinum). The amps I've used are: B-52 AT-212, Crate VTX30, Marshall MG100DFX, Crate GT15, Behringer V-Amp 120W Head, and a Peavey Bandit 65. Like I've already said before, there are better pedals out there, but this one is pretty worthy for your collection if you want some different kinds of distortion apart from your amp, or if you need some heavy sounds from your Strat. Definitely not perfect, but it's still worth taking a look at. If this was lost or stolen, I can't say I would get another. I'd probably go for a Metal Muff. // 7

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: XianXiuHong, on august 04, 2008

Price paid: A$ 110

Ease of Use: Getting a good sound out of this thing is really easy, four knobs, level, low, high, morph, the morph knob is basically the knob which affects your tone the most, have it turned to 7 o' clock for a really trebly thin sound, have it at about 11 for a nice chunky sound, have it at 3 for a really heavy scooped sound and have it at 5 for an incredible amount of gain, which is only really good for rhythm. // 9

Sound: I'm currently using this pedal through a custom hand-made guitar with hand-wound pickups through a Vox AD30VT with the clean setting on Boutique CL. The pedal doesn't feedback at all for me (but that may be because of the really good shielding on my pickups) and you can get the really nice heavy metal crunch, 80's metal crunch, or really thick Overdrive sounds. The effect only sounds weak if you deliberately go out of your way to do so, like turning the low all the way down, the highs all the way up and the morph all the way down, but otherwise, not much fiddling is needed to get a good to great sound. I was really surprised that this pedal could mimic the rhythm tone of Paul Gilbert, not perfectly but the nice crunchy quality of it is there, you can also get some nice heavy sounds like Behemoth and Metallica without that sound where it sounds too scooped, it stays heavy but consistently generates great tone. Overuse of the Morph knob could make your pedal sound really bad, but that's easily fixed by turning the morph knob up and down. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank, it weighs a ton too, even more-so than my Boss pedal, I think I'll be able to depend on it for quite a long time, I can't wait until I can play it through my new Peavey Valveking which is coming in 2 days. I would bring a spare battery or the optional adapter along with me if I were to gig with it, just in case, but so far it's been able to serve me with long battery life. // 8

Overall Impression: I mainly play shred, metal, heavy metal, black metal and some rock, this pedal can do it all, it's incredibly versatile, but a bit on the expensive side compared to other pedals. I've been playing for about 1.5 years, and I own a Jackson Professional and a custom hand-made guitar, a Vox AD30VT and a Fender Stage Front amp, I only use the Vox and the custom hand-made though. There's nothing I wish I had asked before buying this product, if it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again, unless DigiTech releases a better pedal. I love every bit of this pedal, great tone is simple to achieve from this pedal, only thing I hate is the fact it needs batteries, but that doesn't bother me so much. I compared it to several other Overdrive and Distortion pedals, mostly Boss and Vox, the DigiTech blew all of them out of the water. I wish it had an infinite power source so I wouldn't have to buy batteries or the adapter. // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: BHD, on october 13, 2008

Ease of Use: Before I start with the review, I'd like to point out that I have had a Boss MT-2 (Metal Zone) for around, four or five years now. The only reason I brought this DigiTech Metal Master pedal is because I used the wrong power adapter for the Boss Metal Zone and it now makes a stupid buzzing noise when you have it switched on. Not good when it's loud. I wasn't sure whether to buy another Boss or try something new. This is more of a review aimed at someone deciding between the two. Please also note, that because I've used a Metal Zone for so long, I got bored of the sounds and so may be biased towards my newer toy. It's always recommended to try it out all the options. Don't just take my word for it! The MM (Metal Master, I'm not typing that everytime) has four knobs, "Level" which is volume, "Bass" and "Treble" self explanitory, and "Morph" which basically adjusts the Mids. The MZ (Metal Zone) has a "Level", "Bass", "Treble", two Mids knobs and a "Gain" Knob for more versatile. However, the problem I had with the MZ is I could never find my perfect tone. It was always a bit too bassy or a bit too trebly. Despite adjusting knobs for ages, I never found the one that was me. The MM? Completely different story. 4 knobs, turn the volume up, turn the bass up to the required, turn the treble up to the required, and turn the Morph until you find your tone. That morph knobs it the key to this pedal. Changes the tone completely, but always has something nice to offer. I'd found a tone I was happy with in about thirty seconds. // 10

Sound: The setup I am using is a LTD MH-250 with Seymour Duncan Pickups in it. I'm using a Valvestate Marshall VS100 amp. That probably won't effect you but if, on the off chance you've got that amp, you're in luck! With the MM I found the smallest humming noise coming from the pedal. Barely noticable. I only noticed ths because I had a humming noise from the old pedal and so I was listening to make sure it was working ok. Sound is awesome. As I said before, the Metal Zone, I found to be too trebly at times and a bit squealy and whatever. The Metal Master seemed to nail it on the head straight away for me. I found a good tone to chug with instantly. Any metal is good on this pedal I feel, whether it's 80's, thrash or Death Metal. Just keep turning that morph knob. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would gig with it. I'll keep my Metal Zone as a backup I think though 'cause that will work fine with batteries. Only makes a hum through an adaptor. This Metal Master seems built like a brick so it should be fine anyway. Mind you, I only brought it yesterday so I can't say if it will definetely last. // 8

Overall Impression: I play loads of things, I've been playing guitar for around 7 or so years now? When I wanna chug/shred, this pedal seems to nail it on the head. Admittedly the Metal Zone has a few more options, such as changing the gain etc to knock the sound down to even a bluesey and rockier tone tone, but what I love about this Metal Master is it just gives you a really nice metal tone, Metal Zone I found too hard to find that ideal tone. If you need a pedal that can get away with more bluesey tones etc, maybe it's worth looking somewhere else. If you want a pedal just for chugging and shredding, this is the one for you. I compared this product to another pedal aswell when I was deciding on what pedal to buy. I tried a Boss Metal Core pedal which retailed around the 80 mark. I did not like it. It was great at rhythm but nothing else. You could not change the sound at all. The bass didn't make much difference apart from make the floor shake and the treble just Hurt your ears when it was past a quarter of the way. I couldn't see why the Metal Core was 80 and this pedal was 50. At the minute, if it got stolen or broke. I'd look for a Metal Master again. // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2004

Purchased from: Guitar Source

Ease of Use: This unit is very easy to get a good sound. Setting it isn't that hard to do. The DigiTech website has a couple of decent settings. I didn't really read the manual, though. I just plugged it in, went to the website, and tried out all the settings, and they worked great. You can also customize the tone. Cool. // 10

Sound: Along with this fine piece of equipment, I use a Squier Strat from Fender and a Fender Frontman 15G amp. It's not very noisy at all. Occasionally, I get some feedback that I don't really want, but it's normally because I may have the amp turned up a little too high. Getting the sounds of Creed, Metallica, Godsmack, and Ozzy is excellent with this pedal. And seeing as this is only a distortion pedal, yes, the distortion is very good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The only problem I have with this pedal, and this is really not too bad to prevent me from giving it a 5, is it just eats batteries up too quickly, even if you just leave it plugged in. So you'd probably want to Pick up an adaptor, and then go to your gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of heavy metal and hard rock with it. Even though they are two different styles, the X-Series Metal Master is excellent for both heavy metal and hard rock. My overall guitar experience has spanned for a little under two and a half years, and I have been playing electric for almost a year now. In that time, I've learned about wah and delay effects, but I knew I had to get distortion first. I don't have any other gear at the moment aside from the guitar, cables, amp, and this pedal, but I will get a wah pedal sooner or later. Anyways, this pedal is very reliable and there's really nothing that I don't like about it. I also tried it out on a Peavy and an Epiphone at the guitar store I go to. I chose the Fender, though, because, well, it's the only electric guitar I have. I would like to try it out on a PRS, ESP, and a Gibson. Well, the bottom line is the X-Series Metal Master is an excellent piece of equipment for metal and rock guitarists alike. // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2004

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: Its extremely easy to use! It comes with a great manual to let you experience all different kinds of distortions. This unit is pretty new, so I wouldn't expect it to be upgraded anytime soon. // 10

Sound: I am using a Crate GFX 212 Amp with a Fender American Stratocaster. It sounds pretty good, giving different depths and tones to the multiple types of distortions on it. It can cause some feedback with certain settings, but the manual helps with reducing the feedback. The effects on the pedal usually sound great most of the time, and with the variety of distortions, I didn't get bored too quickly. You can get the sounds of bands like From Autumn To Ashes and Avenged Sevenfold to Alkaline Trio and Blink 182. (Ranges from Punk - Death Metal) // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, the only thing I dont like about this pedal, is it sucks batteries dry, very quickly. I had to get a power supply ($20.00) the week I got the pedal. But the structure of the pedal, however, is very durable as it is made of metal. // 8

Overall Impression: With my two years of experience playing the guitar, it works great with music like punk and Death Metal. I also own a Jackson Dinky which is even better for that metal sound most artists look for. Also, if you get the pedal, remember to get a power supply with it. If this pedal was stolen from me, I would definitely buy another, as long as the power supply wasn't stolen as well. // 8

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: Feelthevayne, on may 19, 2004

Purchased from: Guitar center

Ease of Use: A distortion pedal is obviously not going to be hard to use. 4 knobs. Level: this is a knob that controls the volume to match it to your amp, though it does alter the dist. Minutley. Low: controls the low end frequency of the distortion, baisicly it makes it "thicker or fatter" for lack of better terms. High: controls the "fuzz factor" i.e. lets the sound cut through the low (if you like to max. the low like i do you usually keep this nob at a 5 oclock postion in conjunction with the amp's high setting at about an 11 10 or 12 oclock position to not make it too fuzzy.) Mighty morphin distortion morph knob: this knob increases the "heavyness" max it out an it can sound like a mesa tripple rectifire! // 10

Sound: Im using a Fender telecaster with single coil pickups and a shector 7 string with seymore duncan high out put pickups. My amp is a 150 watt Line 6 spider model 212. My effects are: dime crybaby from hell, DigiTech Whammy 4, DigiTech hyperphase, turbo flanger, Boss chorus essemble, Boss dynamic auto wah, Boss tremolo. This pedal is the one pedal I use most. My amp's dist is great, but it lacks the tweekability and power of this pedal. I can get Mudvayne, Sepultura, Chimaira, Slipknot, Slayer, Metallica, Godsmack, and Cradle Of Filth quite easily out of this pedal (if you get guitarone or guitar world magazine check the DigiTech website for pedal settings for the songs in the mags.) // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes I can depend on it and I do use it live. Every guitarist is searching for the perfect tone,and i have found it with this pedal! // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal, nu metal, and rock with this pedal (rock get a Tone Driver) this pedal is the metal master! // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: Stratastic, on august 24, 2004

Purchased from: Music City

Ease of Use: The first thing about this pedal is that it is very simpe to use. You have your low and high and that's it. A level control for the volume of course. The best part is when you get to the morph control. The manual is very user friendly. It explains every aspect of the pedal, including the stereo out for live and studio use. Some settings are suggested, but it's more fun to tweak the pedal yourself. This will ensure you get a great sound for the rig you're using. // 10

Sound: I am currently using the Metal Master with my Mexican Fender Strat, three single coils, nothing fancy. My amp is a Fender BXR 60 Bass amp. Contrary to what you might believe, this setup sounds pretty good. Although I wouldn't complain if I had a Mesa or a Marshall. This feature offers a wide range of distortions for your jamming pleasure. The morph at the first setting produces a smooth Overdrive. I set mine about a hair line from half way and it gives a great punk sound. All the way and you're into that thrashy metal sound. Absolutely sick! There are literally dozens of sounds from one end to the other. The effect sounds great all the time and it can be used for a very wide assortment of musical styles. // 10

Reliability & Durability: For this pedal buy an adaptor whether it be a simple multi-volt or the recommended Harman Model PS200R adaptor, it's worth the money. This thing eats batteries. You'll make the money back in one week. The pedal cuts out every once in a while with the adaptor so I wouldn't use it live unless I was using a fresh battery Duracell or Energizer. Cheap batteries weaken the sound of this pedal pretty bad. (When the battery is dying in these pedals, you get a pretty wierd sound, flangy with muffled notes, if this happens to you, have fun with it. It sounds really cool.) I gave this section a five simply because you can overcome it's problems pretty easily. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for 11 years now. I've owned a lot of different guitars and basses. I'm mainly into punk and metal now and this pedal kicks some serious ass. I tried this pedal out at my local music shop alongside a Boss MT-2. The two pedals are very similiar, but the Digi has more low end. I love the versatility of this pedal. I can get a sound for any styles I want to play. If this pedal was lost or stolen, I would definitely replace it right away. Although I would opt for a DigiTech multi effects unit. Overall, I'm very impressed with this pedal. Now I'll try a DigiTech pedal before any other. They're that damn good! // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2006

Purchased from: Union music, Worcester

Ease of Use: This pedal is really easy to use. If you want you can just plug it in and play, experimenting is very easy and finding the right sound isnt hard at all. // 10

Sound: I use it with my Paul Stanley Apocalypse and a Marshall stack. My guitar has dual humbuckers so there is no feedback. If the Distortion is on on your amp there is a little noise. It offers a massive variety of tones. You can find the perfect tone for many different songs and bands. The effects vary greatly, you can get a deep palm muting metal sound to a blues sound. It is also great for soloing without adjusting your current setting. I play a lot of Metallica and it sounds great. It is great for most types of music even if you just use it for solos. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The battery life is a little short but if you unplug the cords from it the battery can last up to a week and a half. Battery replacement is easy and can be done quickly. it is very durable it has been kicked around and drooped since I got it and nothing has gone wrong with it. It is easy to switch it on and off while playing flawlessly. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal mostly but I also play blues and other types of music and there are so many settings that it works great with all of them. I have been playing for 8 years and I own a Paul Stanley Apocalypes a G And L Tribute, a Ibanez acoustic and a James Hetfield custom guitar. I also have a Marshall stack and a couple practice amps. It works great with all of my equipment but I noticed that Humbuckers tend to make the background noise quieter. I was sure I was going to get this pedal after I tested it along with a few other Boss and DigiTech pedals. If it were to get lost I would have to buy it again if they didn't make something better. It offers great sound with lots of variety. This is a great pedal. // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: walkingonspikes, on january 10, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is easy to use right out of the box. It has 4 simple knobs that are self-explanatory. The manual has sample settings for you to check out. Pretty interesting. // 8

Sound: I'm using this pedal with an ESP Viper 50 and a Line 6 Spider II 212 combo amp. Feedback starts to appear when the level knob is turned up halfway if you are not playing. For me, I can get all types of sounds. Because I play metal, I can get everything from Metallica to Nile. I think this pedal sounds cool with chorus and reverb on. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'd totally use it on a gig without a backup. This is a really durable pedal. It's totally solid. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all types of metal and I think this pedal is great when I want a certain sound. I've been playing for about 2 and a half years. I own an ESP Viper 50 and a Line 6 Spider II 212 combo amp. If I ever lost this pedal, I'd totally buy it again. The only thing I don't like about this pedal, is the feedback but it's not so bad. I love the morph knob. It's so awesome, I can get really good distortion even for old-school 'Tallica. I've compared this one to the Boss Metal Zone and the DigiTech Death Metal. I owned the Death Metal before and I thought it was boring. This pedal has more variation in tone. // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: thetoastinator, on february 23, 2006

Purchased from: Duet With Music

Ease of Use: This pedal can get a pretty decent sound for all types of music, but you have to play with it a lot. The manual wasn't needed, because the operation of this thing was so easy to figure out. The pedal did give me some good ideas to base my tone around, and you can go on their website to hear the tones that they give you in the booklet. I would suggest getting a power source with it though. // 9

Sound: My rig at the moment is Schecter Gryphon to a Dunlop Crybaby, to the Metal Master, to a Line 6 Spider 30 watt. The sound is good for lead when the distortion is at half, and if you crank it, it gives you a really good metal rhythm tone for palm muting. The pedal is noisy when I have it on and I'm not playing, so when I'm not, it stays off. The effects sound either too trebly or too bassy for my liking, but I messed with the amps tone, and I got a pretty good Ozzy/Metallica sound out of it. The treble is really good for lead and solo, and the distortion is great on most channels, but I wish it had a better, deeper sounding bass when it was all the way up. Also, I wish there was a knob for mids. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is covered in metal. It feels like a brick when I carry it. This thing was made for gigging, and I would be fine playing without a backup with this pedal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard rock/metal, and this pedal is really good for that style. I've been playing for about a year and a half, and I have a DigiTech RP-50, a Dunlop Crybaby for my other effects. I tried this on a Kustom 100 watt at the store, because I am thinking of buying that as my next amp. It sounded better on that than my Line 6. I wish I tried it out on the Line 6 before I left the store with it, but I finally got a good sound out of it after about 20 minso of tweaking the knobs. I compared it to other DigiTech distortion pedals, and this one suited my style the best. My favorite feature would be the Morph knob, because of all the different types of distortions you can get. The only feature it lacks would be the bass knob and if they added a mids knob. Overall, this is a great pedal for both lead and rhythm metal players. // 9

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: I_Play_Rock, on march 17, 2006

Ease of Use: Easy. I find the pedal extremely useful in throwing out heavily morphed guitar effects for those dropped d type of songs, although it works just as good with other tunings. The morph setting at the right of the pedal basically controls how slurred the music sounds, as well as gives it more bass. I didnt get a manual, but the thing was so easy to use, I didn't even need anything other than it, my guitar, and me. The only thing that bothers me, is sometimes I cant get the exact sound I am looking for. // 9

Sound: I use the pedal with my Ibanez Gio (my first guitar), and I run it through different kinds of amps. Most recently with a big Fender. It is pretty noisy with the amps I have used it with, but that is only noticeable if you are sitting with somekind of Tears In Heaven, Silent Night audience. The effects it give out (mainly just a bass boost and metal sound) work well for the songs you need it for. I certainly would say that any serious rocker needs this pedal for those metal riffs he plays. I can easily get the sound of my favorite artist (System Of A Down) on this pedal, just turn the morph, level, and bass up. I wouldn't use this with any other distortion, sounds horrible (from my experiance). // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes, you can definitely depend on it, I would use it without a backup. The thing has been dropped from six feet up onto concrete by an idiot friend, and it works perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and rock (think Metallica meets System meets some other band that plays slow stuff a lot). I have been playing for about 2 years, and own multiple guitars, mostly using my Gio for it's versatility. I am content with the product and really haven't questioned my decision. If this pedal were stolen I would be pissed, but I would definitely get it again, maybe for a bit less if I could. I love the way that guitar turns out beautiful metal sounds, I don't really hate anything about it. My favorite feature is the morph. I didn't really compare it, but I am sure it still would have made my choice list. I do wish it had a slightly less noisy feedback, and also perhaps one more nob to adgust the morph even more. // 8

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: sabbath1313, on may 26, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use. It only has 4 nobs and the nobs are easily understood. The manual that came with it has a bunch of suggested settings. // 8

Sound: I use an Ibanez ICHRG2 and a 100 watt Marshall half-stack. If I play this pedal through the clean channel on my amp there is no noise at all. If I run it through the distorted channel there is a hissing noise but it goes away when you start playing. The pedal sounds great, obviously for metal. It has a lot of distortion and a big bottom end for lots of "thump". The morph nob is amazing because just by turning it you can get anywhere from smooth punky Overdrive to thick Death Metal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is made out of solid metal and is built like a panzer tank. I always see Boss pedals with missing nobs but none of my nobs have come off. The only thing, and this is the same for almost all pedals, is that the battery won't even last 5 hours so I recommend the adapter, and if you can't use the adapter or you don't have one always replace the battery before gigging. // 10

Overall Impression: I play any and all types of metal so this pedal suits me perfectly. I have been playing for about 5 or 6 years and this is by far the best pedal I have owned. I haved tested it against the Boss Metal Zone, MXRs Zakk Wylde OverDrive and Dimebag Distortion and I like this one the best. If this were lost I would kick myself for losing it then buy a new one, and if it were stolen I would hunt the guy Who stole it and beat him with this pedal. // 9

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: subzero3009, on december 08, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians friend

Ease of Use: It is pretty easy to get a good metal sound out of it with a lot of crunch. I prefer a Boss MT-2 though because for some reason the metal master just sucked batteries dead. The manual for it was basically pretty useless. It just had like basically all of digitechs pedals and 4 presets you can turn the knobs to get the settings. Nothing really about how to fix it and all of that if it messes up. // 8

Sound: I was using my usual set up BC Rich Warlock with Duncans, Fender Frontman 15G, Marshall MG-15CDR, and a Crate GX-15. I don't have much money for anything but basically this pedal had quite a bit of noise if you didn't have it on the clean channel. Like basically every heavy metal pedal I have used. It was pretty much noisy on all of the settings to me. The effects were great and all just was kind of muffled with certain settings. It was amazing for the time though. It mixes well with wah wah pedals if you have one. I suggest a Dunlop wah, their good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It isn't really dependable unless you get a plug for it. Which is pretty hard to find because it needs an exact plug. The problem about this though is DigiTech doesnt't tell you which one, it doesnt't come with one, and it doesnt't tell you which one to get out of all the cables. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly Death Metal, and any kind of heavy metal or anything really heavy. Arch Enemy, Metallica, Megadeth, Children Of Bodom, ect. Mainly stuff in that area. I have been playing for about 3 years or so. I am a guitar teacher, that's basically why I have crappy equipment. ALong with the fact that my job sucks and I can't ever git anybody to pay me 4 nething. Everyone is so poor here. If it was stolen I might go git another one, but I would go buy a PS2000R first (the plug for it made by DOD). I love that it's really heavy and all. I hate how it consumed my batteries. It is a good buy or at least to try out if you can find the plug. // 8

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: -Collapse-, on april 25, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal can cover anything from screeching high gain to scooped Meshugga style chug. The problem is it doesn't necessarily do all of these as well as I had hoped. I've found that anything before 12 o'clock is far too digital for my tastes, and has that heavy boss ds-1 type compression that I find just unusable. In the opposite direction, anything after 3 o'clock becomes too sludgy for my liking: the mids completely bottom out, and that also brings in a bit more of that digital sound. Despite this, I have heard of some liking the boss sound, and I'm sure there's many metal head's that appreciate a growling full mid cut, so don't let me put you off it you're those people! The sweet spot seems to lie between the two, which is a scooped tone, that still retains much clarity without sounding compressed. I find this is in the range of a Metallica to Killswitch Engage type sound, depending on the position of the knob, and it does this sound quite well. I still find myself pulling it out now and again to play with just this range. Both the low and high knobs are good frequencies, and I have no complains with their responsiveness and ranges. // 7

Sound: I use it with a B.C. Rich Virgo into a Crate FXT15 practice amp and also into my Crate powerblock. This pedal is super quiet when it comes to nosiness! Obviously a lot of feedback comes on the high gain settings though. This pedal sounds awesome and will suit a huge spectrum of metal types and sounds. I have been able to get quiet close to several bands I've wanted to match. Obviously it wasn't exact, this is a Solid State pedal (while they use tubes) and my personal distortion-matching skills arn't what they could be. Personally I don't like the sound from (between) a quarter turn to a half turn of the morph knob, because I don't like the Boss DS-1 sound. But I know people Who love that sound. Either way, the other settings sound compeltely different, and I know you'll find a setting (or multiple) that you'll love; this pedal is so versatile. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't exactly abused this pedal, but I've dropped it several times (once onto my guitar's head) and have slammed my foot into it while activating it many times. Still works perfectly. Durable all-metal casing and rubber footpad. Rubber back for non-slip use. I would, without a doubt, rely 100% on this pedal during a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is great for the metal fan who needs to have any tone at his fingertips to jam along with his favorite tracks; for the price it just can't be beaten. It's a great practice and jam pedal, but it falls short when it comes to live use, just because of the compression and digital nature that's necessary to achieve such a wide range of tones. I will probably always keep this pedal, simply because it's a great go to pedal for the bedroom, but it will never replace a quality distortion. // 8

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: randy_rhoads83, on january 05, 2008

Ease of Use: This is a very easy pedal to use. It only has four knobs which are clearly labeled and fairly obvious. Level controls the volume, Low and Hi are Bass and Treble EQs respectivly, and the morph knob. The morph knob offers a good amount of change in the tone, but there really isn't any bad setting. I personally like the setting at 9 o clock. The manual is small but good and to the point. Overall, a great pedal with no frazzles (and no screw to get to the battery). My only gripe is that it only gets about 4 hours with a battery, so I suggest getting an adapter. // 10

Sound: I like this pedal a lot. I usually run it through a practice amp or an old Mesa Boogie, and it sounds great through both. There is no noise that comes from the effect, it is very quiet. It sounds good with both single coil and humbuckers. I prefer the bucks, as the effect sounds much more heavy and responsive. I use this pedal for playing Thrash alot, but it can accomadate many metal genres. You could play Judas Priest, Maiden, Metallica, with this pedal and not have to hassle with it too much to get a relatively accurate sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is very well built, very heavy with a lot of metal. I would be comfortable throwing this thing at windows and not worry of it breaking. Mine is kinda broken after too much stomping, whenever the effect is off, I need to remove the the "stomping pad of rock" and press the little button inside to turn it back on. // 8

Overall Impression: If this was stolen, I would buy something else, as this is the only distortion I have and I like to experiment, but eventually I would get this again because it is very good. It is well suited for pretty much any metal or hard rock or modern rock. The morph knob is very nice and useful; it models many sounds nicely. // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: Angel_ofDisease, on january 22, 2008

Purchased from: GC

Ease of Use: I bought this after trying the Line 6 Uber and returning the Boss Metal Zone. I wanna say about 3 or 4 years ago. I was impressed with it. I could get scooped tones or heavy midrangry tones with the Morph knob. Then sculp from there. I can easily get that Slayer crunch or Metallica scooped. My genre of choice though is Death Metal. Mine is stock, No manual. Yet I have read into it before online. 4 knobs: Volume (Obvious), Bass(How much bass is applied), Treble(How much treble is applied, Morph(I believe Far left is Mid range and it sccops as your turn clockwise, don't quote me on that though). So it's pretty simple. // 10

Sound: I usually go Guitar -> 535Q -> Metal Master -> Amp and Effects Loop: Send -> Fish n Chips EQ -> Return. I use the EQ on occasions as it just makes it sound better. But I can easily pull it off without the EQ, just more tone shaping. If my amp is cranked and I turn on the MM it's prone to make noise, what dist doesnt't? At low volumes it's farely quiet. I have used other products with it, mainly Boss phasers and choruses and it sucks my tone or lowers the volume so I wouldn't reccomend that. My friend recently bought a 5150 off ebay, and I'd rather use my setup. His has to be repaired so possibility they screwed up? So I guess it's kind of a 50/50 experience there. But the tone is superb for the price. IMO better then the other in that price range. For an even better tone I'd reccomend the Fish N Chips like I stated above. The Boss one sounds to weak with it. But it's only good if you really care about getting a certain sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I love it, I'll probably use it until I get an extreme high gain amp that sounds better. I've dialed in tones for everything I need metal/rock related. I wpuldn't gig without it. The valvekings onboard dist doesnt't cut it with or without boost. So my MM is a must. Even without the EQ it's still a must. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from blues to Death Metal. I don't use the MM for blues tho, obviously. But it does me wonders for tones like Cannibal Corpse or Behemoth. That kind of style. It would suit anyone well, and like I said it's farely easy to get a good tone. I've been playing for roughly 4 years, so like everyone on the forum says, tone isnt in your gear it's in the fingers. My friend has a MM on his Marshall Mosfet and it sounds totally diffrent. I play and then he does, 2 diffrent styles. Also just becasue it's a DigiTech pedal and not Boss don't let that turn you off. Every Boss pedal I've tried has been meh, and I bought the MM used and it's still fine. If someone stole this, I'd probably hunt them down and take it back. Get pissy and be on my way. If I couldn't find em, then I'd just but a new one asap! // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: Hoodoo Child, on april 03, 2008

Purchased from: Dolphin music

Ease of Use: This pedal is incredibly easy to use, it's usually just a matter of experimenting until you find the right sound, which is what I do regularly. The instruction manual, which not only details on this pedal but all of the others in the DigiTech range, provides some settings for different sounds, including "Controlled Feedback" and "Tour of Hell", a sound that is influenced by the DigiTech Death Metal pedal's sound. // 10

Sound: I'm using this pedal with my Squier Showmaster, and through my 10 watt practice amp. It sounds amazing. It rarely makes any noise, unless I'm on the neck pickup of my guitar, but I've found that to be normal without the pedal as well. The effects always sound amazing, and I am hoping to add a Flanger and Wah Wah to my collection to maximise this pedal's potential to create amazing metal sounds. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal completely, partly because it is all metal, no plastic or other weaker materials. If I were gigging, then I would definitely use it without a backup, because the Metal Master has been completely reliable. One problem is the battery life. If you use this pedal without a 9V power supply, then you should definitely take a few spare 9V's with you to gigs, as the battery in my pedal ran out within a week. // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything from punk to Death Metal, and this pedal suits them all. The controlled feedback setting is perfect for punk, and the tour of hell option gives an amazing metal tone. I've been playing for just about a year, and I don't own any other effects pedals as of yet, since I only just got my first electric guitar last Christmas. However, I am hoping to buy a DigiTech Synth Wah and Turbo Flange in the not too distant future. This pedal has so many amazing features, I can't say just one thing I love about it, except the perfect tones it gives, and I definitely can't say anything that I hate about it! I compared it to the DigiTech Death Metal pedal before buying, but I chose this one over the Death Metal due to the fact it could generate all the sounds of the Death Metal, but still have more features on top. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy another one as soon as I could. // 9

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: Dude_SN, on may 19, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use, and it is easy to get a good sound from it. This pedal can get you heavy distortion, or a crazy over-the-top metal distortion. Either is good. Mine is set around the middle.This is best for heavy metal, and or hard rock. Let me tell you, it is super easy to do pinch harmonics. There are four knobs. Hi, Low, Level, and Morph. This pedal is great. // 10

Sound: I'm currently using it with a Marshall and a Dean. It would be great with any amp or guitar though. Let me warn you, if it super-noisy, and your amp has gain, ALWAYS turn down the gain. Otherwise you're just making noise. Once you're using you're pedal's distortion, you're good. Each knob can change the sound A LOT. You get good metal and rock sounds from it. It sure is a mean lil'pedal! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal I'd pretty sturdy and uses it's battery so it lasts a long time. It is very dependable. It won't break if you drop it, not that I'm willing to try. I woud trust this pedal to go on a gig with. It is a trustworthy pedal, and it won't wear out, at least not in a really long time, even longer if you've taken good care of it. // 8

Overall Impression: It provides excellent sounds for metal, rock, and maybe punk. I've been playing for a year, two hours everyday, and I've loved music since 1st grade. I think this pedal is fantastic for it's price. It is powerful sounding, and anyone would like it. The only thin bad about it is that it sounds thin on low volume. Otherwise, it's perfect. I'll use this until it wears out, but it probably won't. :) // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: lazydude554, on august 18, 2008

Ease of Use: This is a very easy pedal to use. 4 different knobs fr 4 different purposes, all very easy to understand and use; Simple level control adds gain and a little volume, low control adds a lower crunch to the sound, high brings on the fuzz and the X series morphs the sound of the distortion. The manual states that's there's technically only 3 morphs in the x series, I would safely say there' 5. The manual is quite helpful, but I didn't really need to read it. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Kerry King wartribe from BC Rich, and 30x cube from Roland. I'm also using a Dunlop Smart Gate to Kill the feedback, but I have to say, I hardly ever need it. The feedback from the metal master is suprising less than I anticipated, and it still manages to give great sustain. During my early years, I used an origianl crybaby, this doesn't work well at all with the metal master, but it's mostly the fault of the crybaby as it doesn't work well with any distortion. Kerry King himself has been known to use this, as well as Munky. It does acheive a great Slayer sound, which is excatly what I was looking for. The effect itself is quite noisy with a bit of level turned on, and even more monsterous with high and low on full. Even when the battery runs low, this pedal still manages to deliver full effect quality, right to the end, a very impressive feature. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a very durable effect in my opinion. I've dropped it several times without causing any damage. It's very sturdy and densly built, but very reliable. As mentioned before, it can produce a top quality sound even on a low battery, and I could never say that it's let me down. I would feel very confident about performing at a show without any form of backup, infact I don't think I would leave my house without bringing this along, even if I was only jamming with a few mates. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm into very heavy forms of metal; thrash, death, black, so on and I can safely say that this pedal would be far more qualified for those purposes than the Death Metal distortion. It has a very clear sound no matter how high the level is, and always creates an interesting sound. If it got lost or stolen, I'd defintely get a new one, wouldn't think twice. hat do I love about it? Everything. I compared this to some Dunlop distortions, and to the Death Metal Distortion, but nothing could compare, it blew them out of the Park! I honestly believe that this pedal has it all, I wouldn't change thing. // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: Mapexdrummer13, on september 24, 2009

Purchased from: Local music store

Ease of Use: This pedal is amazingly simple. I've been playing guitar for about 4 years and this pedal is awesome. I bought it used so it didn't come with the manual, but you don't need it. There are 4 knobs; level, low, high, and morph. The eq is simple and it's easy to hear how it affects the sound of the pedal. The morph knob is basically and beefed up mid control. At 5 o'clock it gives a nice mid-range distortion good for hard rock, etc. As you roll to the left it gives you a more mid-cut distortion and to the right it kicks up the intensity of the distortion for an over-the-top sound. // 10

Sound: I run an Epiphone SG 350 with Gibson Classic '57s through a Peavey Transtube 212 EFX. The pickups in my guitar are not high output, but with this pedal it doesn't matter. I get all the crunch I need through this pedal. It can get really noisy, especially if you use an adapter (because it eats batteries like a fat kid eats cake)due to the fact that some outlets give a horrible electrical current. I normally run a DigiTech RP 80 after my Metal Master for tuning and noise reduction. It also doesn't Hurt to run something like a Boss noise suppressor. If your volume is low this isn't really a problem though. I can play anything from Metallica to Trivium to Bullet For My Valentine, etc, with this pedal. It's a great deal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is definitely a sturdy pedal. It feels like a brick when you Pick it up. The weight is something that doesn't really matter to me and if anything makes me feels better about it's durablity. The only thing I don't like is that it's activation system is a little arm coming from the stomp pad and it hits a very small pressure point inside the pedal. I haven't had this thing break but the pedal stopped working for a long time when the pressure point got nocked out of line with the pushing arm. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from clean/blues to heavy metal and this pedal covers all of my heavier music for sure. If I lost it I would definitely get one again. I really just love the sound overall and how easy it is to use and dial in to the sound you want. I like this pedal a lot more than the 2 Boss pedals because this pedal can mimic those already so it gives you a much broader range of sound. I do agree with some other reviewers, I wish it had an independent mid control on top of the morph. Overall a great pedal for any heavy player. // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: TuxFriend, on march 17, 2010

Price paid: € 30

Purchased from: Huuto.net

Ease of Use: Having already previously bought the Death Metal pedal from DigiTech, I got my Metal Master from an internet auction because I like to try different pedals, especially if they're advertised to be suitable for metal. I was happy to find out it's quite easy to get a good sound with this pedal. // 9

Sound: While the Metal Master might not be suitable for the heaviest metal music, it gives some nice tones. I like the morph knob, you can really change the sound quite a bit with that. I haven't detected much noise either. This pedal works nicely with rock and other lighter music. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like you'd expect, it's Solid Metal and looks very durable. DigiTech, to me, is not as familiar as Boss, but the build quality would seem the same. I haven't used their pedals for years though, so who knows. Still, it should last live playing just well, even without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly modern doom and death metal, which this pedal does not suit too well. However, it fits much better with 70's and 80's lighter rock, as well as Black Sabbath, Candlemass and similar. The Metal Master is quite versatile, but Boss' MT-2 remains my favorite pedal. // 8

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: Deus4el, on august 24, 2010

Ease of Use: This pedal is one of the most easiest in use and always gives a great sound, that can be edited any time by its knobs. I haven't got the manual, but I didn't need to, because the pedal understandable enough. All documents and firmware version number is fine. // 8

Sound: I use it with different guitars and amps and found that with cheap and not so professional equipment it sounds great - it upgrades the sound, but the pedal lowers the quality of sound if plugged to expensive and professional guitars and amps. No noise noticed. It is good for those who enjoys playing at home or in bars, not at a big stage and has knobs of level, bass, treble and MORPH - the last one gives you an opportunity to change sound timbre from warm old-school to sharp death-metal sound. // 7

Reliability & Durability: You can easily depend on it, because 1) it is heavy enough and that's why hard to break, 2) has an internal battery to play even when the electricity is off. I recommend to use it mainly with transistors-amps 'coz the pedal's sound will be more qualitative than amp's one. But lamp-heads Overdrive is usually degraded by this kind of distortion. // 8

Overall Impression: Nice distortion not for beginners. Is one of the best variants for heavy-metal, power-metal, thresh-metal, death-metal. One of its disadvantages is that the pedal can't give clear sound or a little bit overdriven sound - it is always highly distorted even on the level 1. But its "+" is that you get a wide scope of sound (by Morph knob) - other guitarists need to use a number of distortions, phasers and overdrives and you have it all within one box. // 7

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: ericzhang789, on april 08, 2011

Ease of Use: This pedal is really easy to use, with lows and highs dedicated. I care not for mids so that didn't really bother me. Better than having one tone knob. Besides that theres not really much, just level, for output level and "morph" which is kinda like a gain, or distortion model. // 10

Sound: I play an Ibanez RG350DX into a Fender frontman 212r (yea I know, frontman, but its got lots of volume). I play over the clean channel. It's a little noisy because I have a crap powersupply, but that can be fixed. The pedal gives a really nice distortion, from a mid boosted crunch, to total deathmetal "breakdown" I guess. I can get any thing from MCR to Suicide Silence out of this. The 2 band eq makes this thing pound lows and have soaring highs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its made out of what appears to be a pretty rugged metal housing, I like it better than Boss housings. I have had no problems with it, and I have it second hand. Lots of grip on the bottom and stomp. I would use it at a gig without a backup almost for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal, but anything rock, and it suits perfectly. If this were stolen or lost, I'd probably get this, rather than a Boss metal zone. The best feature, to me, is the 2 band eq because the pounding palm muting is awesome. You could compare it to the Boss metal zone or some DOD pedal, but this is deffinately more versitle. // 10

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: Pazz91, on september 09, 2011

Price paid: € 50

Purchased from: Friend

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use but it is also versatile and pretty cheap. It has 4 knobs, which include level control, a 2 band EQ for bass and high and a morph mod which basically controls the mids. It had no manual since it was second hand but there is no need for it. You can easily dial in the tone you want. Since when I bought it I already knew my tone it only took a couple of seconds. // 7

Sound: I run it through the FX loop of my amp, an 40 watt dsp ashdown, and I use a PRS se paul allender guitar. The sound is pretty good, it is pure metal which is the reason I bought it since my amp had more of a rock Overdrive sound. It has plenty of gain but it could use some more. The morph switch basicly shapes the sound from a scooped mid garage old school thrash tone to a rich mid with plenty of bottom punch modern sound. The distortion is quite defined but it is noise and I would like to have a noise gate with it. It also has plenty of highs for solos. All in all I am quite pleased of the sound it is well defined and versatile. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a dependable pedal. I have had it for a year plus the time my friend had it which is probably much more. It is built in a Solid Metal casing and has a sturdy switch, the knobs are also quite solid. I don't know anything about battery life because I always power it with a cable that is built in my pedal case. I haven't gigged with it yet but I have no hesitation in taking it on stage, it has never given up on me despite heavy use of many continuous hours and since I don't worry about battery life of running out I see no problem, I wouldn't use a backup, not that I can afford one. // 9

Overall Impression: I am very impressed with this pedal. I have been playing for 5 years and I researched the pedal before buying it. When I bought it I also bought a crybaby wah and DigiTech chorus which I am also pleased with. If it was stolen I wouldn't buy it again since the Metal shaman from Riviera has caught my attention due to its noise gate and booster but I would still recommended for players who want versatility for a good price. // 8

Metal Master - Heavy Metal Distortion Reviewed by: sake13211, on january 31, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: This is a great pedal! Its extremely easy to get good sound out of it, with the morph knob you can get a lighter rock sound along the lines of AC/DC or turning the morph all the way you get a really heavy metal sound to it, I usually use the heavier sound for stuff like Lamb Of God. The manual is decently useful, if gives you an incite on what sound you'll get for turning the knobs certain directions. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Les Paul 100 with DiMarzio pickups and a 60w amp (unknown brand) the pedal has killer sounds, it can get a little noisy if you turn the (level) knob all the way up, but I usually keep it at 1/4 to 1/2 and it's perfect. There is no weak effect on this pedal and there is no clean to this pedal either, as soon as you turn it on, you automatically get a nice distortion sound, I've gotten a pretty good lamb of god sound and a descent system of a down sound from this pedal. You can get just about any rock/ metal sound you want from this pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very reliable, its a heavy pedal, metal casing, very strong and durable! You would not need a backup with this pedal. I dropped it numerous times and not even a scratch. But I would suggest an adapter because batteries go decently fast with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal usually so this pedal is ideal for anyone playing that type of music but also really good for classic rock. I've been playing for about 3 years and still haven't come across a pedal like this. It is definitely my favorite pedal. If this pedal ever got stolen or I lost it, I would definitely go out and buy a new one, its that good. I compared it to a Hardwire pedal, Death Metal pedal, Metal Zone and a few others, but this one stood out of the crowd as the best one. // 10

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Drop 8.2 Guitar Effects 09/26/2014