RP1000 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 12/17/2013 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RP1000
It is very easy to navigate and edit the presets, the display is large, bright and easy to read on a dark stage. This covers ALL my tones and FX needs.
 Ease of Use: 5.5
 5.7
 6.4
reviews (2) pictures (3) 23 comments vote for this gear:
RP1000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2012

Purchased from: zZsounds

Ease of Use: I actually have the RP1000. It is very easy to navigate and edit the presets, the display is large, bright and easy to read on a dark stage. The manual is simple. I play in a rock cover band doing all kinds of material from clean to metal. It covers them all if you know your amplifiers and cabs and know how to go about building tone. The factory presets pretty much suck but they always do no matter what MFX you choose. // 10

Sound: I initiaaly tried using a tube combo with this in the clean channel but couldn't find my sound and I almost returned it. I started using the PA instead and was much better but still lacked some warmth. I ended up buying a Tech 21 Powerengine 60 (another $325), which is essentially a 60 watt powered monitor with a 12" Celestion guitar speaker and no tweeter or horn. So for the price of a decent tube combo, I now have a fleet of amps and cabs, and they all sound just like they are supposed to. The Tech 21 supplies clean uncolored power loud enough to hold it's own onstage. I use Fender mods for my cleans, Marshall and Mesa mods for my dirty stuff. I love the tap delay. The chouruses sound good but kinda boost the volume as well when you hit it. Compression works very well. There's a ton of different distortions. Some sound fantastic while others are lacking. Reverb is cool with several different options including Fender Twin Spring and Lexicon. The harmonizer FX are ok at best. They sound kinda fake and digital. Overall this thing rocks though and has definitely improved my live performances. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's built like a tank. I have no issues with it at all in this respect. I have gigged with it and I will continue too. One note... The FX edit grid is recessed into the unit by about an inch or so to protect the rather flimsy plastic parameter knobs I'm guessing. Anything spilled on it would pool up and your RP1000 would be kaput! // 9

Overall Impression: I play in a rock cover mand. This covers ALL my tones and FX needs. I've been playing for 30 years and have been thru alot of gear. I got this rig so I wouldn't have to haul a heavy tube amp around everywhere. If you are looking for immediate tome gratification this aint for you. I have 15 presets built and it took me 4 months of tweaking and band rehearsals to create them. I use this in pedalboard mode which essentially allows every preset to become a separate pedalbord scene, with different amps and FX combinations in each one that can be turned on and off just like a stompbox pedalboard, without the dancing. Another reason I bought it. // 9

RP1000 Reviewed by: dhyatt, on december 17, 2013

Purchased from: MUSIC123

Ease of Use: In my opinion it is totally impossible to get anything even closely resembling a "good sound" from this device, at least for those who can recognize the quality of tonal differences. The manual goes deep enough to get one lost; many functions seemed vastly different that what the instructions implied. The loop function did manage to snag about 3 notes, once, and you had to be absolutely quiet to hear those. Presets tend to go away on their own, as well as reappear on their own along with some you have never seen before. You can never be exactly sure what the pedal will activate, set it for wah and you get volume, sometimes nothing at all. It is indeed a Chinese made product. // 1

Sound: The RP1000 sounds like exactly what it is: a poor Chinese made copy of a once decent product manufactured in the USA. I've played the RP1000 next to the pedals it supposedly emulates and the tonal variations are huge. Even the DigiTech branded pedals supposedly emulated by this processor sound like little more than cheap copies of the originals they share their names with. Top quality cables (Monster Rock) plugged into a Marshall amp sounds great with the device out of the loop entirely, plug it in and the sound quality drops to that of one of those $99 zero to hero everything you need to be a rock star outfits. I purchased this when I saw it go on sale; had I been able to read an HONEST review, I definitely would have continued looking elsewhere. // 1

Reliability & Durability: This product appears to me to be poorly made, as if numerous corners were cut during the manufacturing process. Buttons demonstrate a tendency to hang up right from the start, the casing looks to be made from a very low grade pot metal. It would appear that poor grade connectors were used in this product, attributing to its less than desirable tonal qualities. I have reservations about it being able to withstand even light bedroom use, I would not think about gigging with it. I have used it in house only far enough to know that I do not like it and it does show signs of wear, and we're talking less than a full day's practice if you combine the times for every time it was turned on. // 1

Overall Impression: I got my first guitar in 1967, so yes I have seen the rise and fall of many companies in the musical industry. Over the years I have played everything from Bach to ZZ Top with a lot of Blues thrown in along the way. There was a time when the brand DigiTech could be associated with high quality products made here in the USA; it would appear that is no longer the case. DigiTech has entered into a marketing scheme whereby products are developed here in the USA, with initial production runs taking place at their Sandy, Utah Factory. They roll the products out to the usual fanfare including the blaring, in your face "MADE IN USA" advertisements, and once the product line has become firmly established DigiTech quietly outsources production to China, neglecting to remove "Old Advertisement Images" depicting the MADE IN USA label. If it really does not matter, then why is MADE IN USA emblazoned across the front of the product in bold, bright white lettering, while the MADE IN CHINA label uses smaller print and is affixed to the bottom? If outsourcing truely is about cost reduction, would it not be cheaper just to change the "USA" to CHINA"? I mean get rid of 2 letters and add 3 as opposed to totally retooling to print the misleading "Designed and engineered in the USA" while having to produce an additional label for the Made in China found on the bottom? I would definitely not recommend this product to anyone; if the product had been honestly advertised Inever would have even considered purchasing it, which is exactly why both retailer and manufacturer chose to use outdated, misleading images in their advertising campaigns. Nice ruse, manufacturer not responsible for the retailer's "Cataloge Errors", retailer just using what the manufacturer provides; I guess that means that you and I, the consumers, bear the responsibility for being misled? I don't know about the rest of you, but I really do hate being lied to. // 1

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ JamMan Looper 9.6 Guitar Effects 09/11/2014