RP12 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 05/29/2014 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RP12
This unit doesn't have all the conveniences (bells and whistles) of todays unit's, but sound wise, the RP12 is still the best.
 Ease of Use: 10
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
RP12 Reviewed by: AJ6stringsting, on may 29, 2014

Ease of Use: The manual made things easy, setting it up as the control board and editing patches were very easy. After you learn how to store you presets, learn to use the modifiers to establish the minimum and maximum certain effects like, for instance, the amount of compression or change the cabinet emulator. Once you master M.I.D.I. implementation... You'll never go back :) When one goes from older effects stomp boxes, you have to read the manuals to figure out these computerized tone machines... You may get frustrated in the learning curve (I did at first), but as soon as I mastered this unit, I was very glad I sat down with the manual to get this unit to work for me. // 10

Sound: I use this as a control board to run my other M.I.D.I. gear: a DigiTech RP-1, Behringer 1124P Feedback Destroyer (for Parametric reasons) and a DigiTech 2112 rack processor. The unit is quiet because of the noise reduction/ gate in the unit. The Distortions (Overdrive, Grunge, Heavy Sustain), Compressor, 4 band parametric EQ and Cabinet Emulator are analog. The sound is so versatile, when compared to the newer units of today made by DigiTech and other companies. The parametric EQ is easy to use, you can assign a frequency and zero in much better than with a graphic EQ. The Cabinet Emulator makes this unit so pleasing to my ear and I can get any sound I want no matter what style of music I'm playing.

The digital section has: pitch shift, whammy, a Harmonizer (original not/ selected interval note), dual detune, mono detune, smooth whammy, smooth pitch, sampler and arpeggiator. Also has various mixers, great modulation effects: Chorus, Phasers, Flangers, Tremolos and auto panners too. The Wah Wah is okay, but you really need to spend time to nail the sweep of the tones you want. I've tried Korg, Boss, new DigiTechs, other units out there and this unit doesn't have all the conveniences (bells and whistles) of todays unit's, but sound wise, the RP12 is still the best. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've owned this since 1997 and it still works great. One thing, every 7 years you have to replace the 2032 battery in the RP12, you have to be careful when changing the battery or you'll lose all your custom presets. They used to have a RP edit, where you could store your presets (from RP12, 10, 2120, but not the 2112) onto a computer, but it only works with Windows XP and earlier versions of Windows, it won't work on Windows Vista or 7. One may have to go find a M.I.D.I. library storage device to be safe. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, neo-classical metal/shred guitar, '80s metal, speed metal, thrash, blues and fusion. I can get any sound imaginable. Playing guitar since 1978 and teaching since 1986. I've owned many makes of guitars, amps, effects processors, tried every pickups and experimented over the years in pursuit of great tone / sounds. I wish this unit had a stereo inputs, if it had this unit would be a 10, but for over all impression I give it a 9 and 3/4. I love how this unit controls other M.I.D.I. units flawlessly, a real work horse. Today, they are usually going for $ 50.00 U.S. dollars on eBay, if you see one get one, it will be so worth it. // 10

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Hyper Phase Stereo Phaser 8.5 Guitar Effects 05/29/2014