RP150 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 06/30/2009 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RP150
The RP150 Modeling Guitar Processor features 48 effect models, 17 amp/acoustic models, 12 cabinet models, 2-in/2-out USB Interface, a high quality drum machine with 60 patterns and more!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.4
 Ease of Use: 8.1
 7.8
 8.2
 7.3
reviews (10) pictures (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
RP150 Reviewed by: eetfuk58, on november 20, 2007

Ease of Use: I got the RP150 to use with my small practice amp in my college dorm. I found this small gem and decided to get it due to the price and staggering list of features. This is a pretty simple product to figure out, just spend a few minutes in the easy to use manual and your off editing your own sounds. The USB connection also opens up the possibility of editing your sounds from your computer! This is a fantastic bonus feature for the price and is extremely easy to use. I downloaded the software, installed it, and was editing my presents within 10 mins. Overall this is a great, simple little mulitFX pedal perfect for anyone on a tight budget. // 8

Sound: The RP150 comes out of the box with with decent sounding presents but nothing that sounded amazing or used this boxes full potential. Like any muliFX processor you have to take your time to get used to the controls and tweak the sounds to your liking. Once you make your own presents this pedal really shines. The acoustic modeling was also a very nice surprise as it sounded very full bodied and warm compared to most acoustic simulators. The distortions on this pedal are definitely a high point. The clean sounds can sound very dry at times, but with a little tweaking you can get pretty decent sounding cleans from this as well. Over the sounds on this pedal are way above average, especiall for the price range. // 10

Reliability & Durability: From what I can tell this is a very sturdy pedal. Although it is plastic, not metal, there are no loose parts and everything seems to be put together very well. I would be comfortable playing a show with this without a backup. No problems with the durability of this pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great little pedal for the price. The USB capabilities really make this pedal standout amongst the others in the price range. Although this can't really compare to pedals in other price rangers this is by far the best, most affordable pedal I have ever purchased under $200. It is definitely worth twice the price. If you are looking for a good practice pedal, or computer recording pedal this is a perfect choice for you if you have a tight budget. I would highly recomend it. // 9

RP150 Reviewed by: JL_Shredder, on october 13, 2008

Purchased from: www.musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: This unit is really great, and for only $150 it is practically a steal! At first, it can be slightly confusing, but once you get the hang of it, it's really easy. The difficulty is only caused by the sheer volume of effects on it. The manual is very detailed, but nothing replaces experience. // 8

Sound: I am using this unit with my Ibanez and my Behringer GMX 210, and they blend perfectly. It can get a bit noisy with high gain, but the built in noise gate can take care of that without choking your sound. It maybe adds 1db of extra noise, but it really isn't noticeable. You can get just about any artist's sound out of this. I've gotten some Rhoads-ish tones, John Christ tones, Zeppelin, Yngwie, Criss Oliva, you can get it all. Plus, if you register it at DigiTech's site (sadly, I haven't yet) you can download models directly from the site. All the effects are great, but in my experience, the delay is a bit crappy at about the 12th fret or so, but everything else is great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is very dependable, and it's solid construction means it can take some serious abuse. It has a level of reliability and durability that I've never seen I would feel confident enough to do a whole tour without a backup, but, as a rule, I keep an extra distortion pedal with me at all times. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, especially thrash and shred, but I also love this when I play blues, classic rock, jazz, or even classical guitar. It's a perfect match for any style. I've been playing since I was 6, so for about 11 years, and this is the best pedal I've ever used. I'm recommending this to all of my students! If this were stolen, I'd either buy a new one, or check out some of the higher-end models in the RP series. I really love everything but the delay, but I just use the delay on my amp, so it's perfect. My favorite feature is the built-in model of the classic Ibanez Tube Screamer. This is really the best pedal I've ever used, and it replaces the mess that is a pedalboard. The only thing I wish it had was a presence control, and a wider EQ. // 9

RP150 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 11, 2009

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Ease of Use: When I first bought this I thought that it might be quite complicated to use, but once I read the manual a bit I realized it was pretty easy to understand. Once you realize how it works you don't need the manual anymore, everything is clearly marked on the RP 150. The foot pedals allow you to cycle through the presets, while the knobs allow you to Switch effects on and off and change effect settings. It comes with 50 default presets, and another 50 which you can set yourself. For the most part the default presets are decent, but after playing with this for a bit your going to want to start making your own. Another feature this pedal has is a built-in Chromatic Tuner, which is quite accurate. To tune your guitar just press and hold both foot pedals, and the note will show up in the display and your pitch indicator appears on the leds, pretty simple to use. You can even hook this pedal up to your computer and edit presets directly from your computer, which is pretty neat since it allows you to more easily edit presets. You can even go to DigiTech's website and download presets made by other people and put them on this pedal. // 9

Sound: I use this pedal with my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and it sounds great. Although most of the default presets weren't that great, there were a few good ones. This pedal came with a great acoustic simulator and a good 12-string simulator, which I think the two are worth the $150 alone. It would cost me quite a bit to buy an acoustic that plays as well as my Les Paul, so I think that being able to just change the sound of my guitar to sound like an acoustic is awesome. The rest of the presets I have pretty much changed by now. Once you start editing presets there's pretty much endless possibilities to the multitude of sounds you can get from your guitar. I have several presets which make my guitar match the exact sound of some great guitarists, like Angus Young, Eric Clapton, and Slash. Even though this is a multi-effects pedal, the individual effects don't seem to be sacrificed. The distortion is great, the noise gate works well, and the amplifier models which are built-in on this pedal sound pretty good. With this pedal you can get pretty much any sound you want out of your guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is rock solid, with the case being metal and the pedals being a hard plastic. It seems like it would survive a 10-foot drop, but I don't want to test it. Although the knobs seem like the could be broken off if you hit the side of them, they are inset on the pedal so unless your an absolute clutz they should be fine. I have never gigged before so I'm not sure as to whether I'd use this or not, but if I did I wouldn't bother bringing a backup since this unit seems like it's unbreakable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly Rock and Metal and this pedal does the job. I have never owned a guitar pedal before, so I thought a multi-effects pedal would be a good investment, that way I could try out different guitar effects at once. I was originally looking at the RP 90, but when I went to The Music store they had this pedal for the same price. It was a newer model than the RP 90 so it had more effects and it had the ability to hook up to a computer to change presets, which I thought was pretty cool, so I decided to buy it instead. I have two guitars, an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and a replica Stratocaster, and this pedal works great with both of them. I thought it would be great to be able to change the sound of my guitar easily so I decided to buy a multi-effects pedal, and it was a great decision. I like the fact that you can Switch between presets easily. It can Switch very easily between different presets and sounds, like I can play Beatles songs one second and Metallica songs the next. One thing I love about this pedal is the fact that it has a headphone port on the back. I can plug in headphones and play my guitar without my amp, so even if it's 3 in the morning and I feel like playing guitar (which I've done a few times) but everyone's still sleeping, I can just use my headphones. There is only one thing I do not like about this pedal so far, the fact that it does not have a power Switch. To turn the power on and off you got to plug and unplug the power cord. I found it strange that DigiTech made a point of mentioning this in the manual yet did not bother to simply add a power Switch to this. In my opinion this pedal is well worth the money. // 10

RP150 Reviewed by: Diamond Dave, on march 12, 2007

Ease of Use: First up I'd just like to point out that this new line of RP pedals (150, 250, 350) are far better than the old RP80/100/200 which I guess is because of the new processor. They do still sound digital but not like digital crap anymore. The pedal comes with 50 presets and some are pretty cool but tone-wise most are pretty average. Editing patches isn't too difficult when using the pedal itself and becomes far easier when you connect it to your PC which was quite hassle free for me. Even though it is easy to get in and change everything, finding a combination of distortion, amp and effects settings which sounds good can be very difficult especially when you're after a metal tone. Even though I've had some trouble getting the sound I want many people haven't as shown by the rapidly growing sound community on the DigiTech website Who have made upwards of 100 patches last time I visited it. Many of these patches are quite good and at the very least give you something to tweak to your own preference. The instruction manual for the it is good, it goes through every possible thing you can select and what the different knobs do to change the sound of each effect. ie if you're in the equalizer the first knob is bass, second middle, third treble. // 8

Sound: I'm using it with a Jackson DX10D Dinky and a 10 watt squire amp and it's made that poor rig about a million times more versatile. The thing I like about this pedal is that it sounds pretty much exactly the same on any amp you plug it into, I had my patch dialed in how I liked it and it sounded good on my gear then when I plugged the pedal in to a borrowed amp for a gig it sounded pretty much identical which was pleasing especially if you have to use borrowed gear a lot. It can be a bit noisy but it has a noise gate built in which is very effective and can be adjusted to be as sensitive as you want. Once you've got you're basic straight tone sorted out and then you want to use that with another effect like a phaser, vibrato, delay or whatever that is easy to do and they can all be tweaked quite heavily and also sound pretty good. I haven't been able to get the sound of any artists really but I have been able to get good metal rhythm and lead tones, nice cleans, and slightly overdriven bluesy tones. The effects are solid, not great by any means but good enough. If I could afford individual effect stomp boxes and a tube head and cab I'd definately take that over the pedal, but considering it is cheap and has just about everything you can think of on it it's great for a beginner to get in there and play around and hear what different effects sound like. // 6

Reliability & Durability: As far as the build quality goes I'd say it seems very solid to me but maybe there's just a bit too much plastic, I wouldn't want to drop it from too high. The actual foot pedals themselves seem pretty solid, I'm about 3 months down the track and they still feel the same as the day I got it. It feels like it should hold together fine as long as you're careful with it. I would use it at a gig without a backup because I'm not about to go out and buy another one. // 8

Overall Impression: I mostly play most types of metal from classic to thrash to power to prog and it doesn't handle it too badly but it took quite a long time to get there. I've been playing on and off for about 3 years and the only other gear I have is my dinky, a squire and my 10 watt amp. The only thing I wish I had have asked would be what my parents were planning on getting me for christmas, I would have rather put $300 towards a new amp. If it were stolen/lost I probably wouldn't bother getting a new one. The main thing I like about it is that it sounds so much better then my amp on it's own and it has so many things to play around with. The most useful thing about it is that I can leave my guitar tuned to e standard but play in Eb or D or whatever using the pedal which works surprisingly accurately believe it or not which is great for me because my guitar has a floyd rose trem. The thing I dislike about it is that it has so many distortion, amp and cabinet models (2106 possible combinations to be exact) but only about 3 of those combinations work well for a good metal tone (after gain and equalizer tweaks and all that crap). I didn't compare or choose this product because it was a gift. I wish that overall that the models were better. For everyone reading this only buy one if you're a beginner or something Who can't afford a new amp but want something to improve the sound of the amp that came in your starter pack. // 7

RP150 Reviewed by: Jon1001, on june 12, 2007

Ease of Use: The RP150 is basic to use and does not take long to get used to. There are a library of preset tones and effects so if you don't want to spend ages playing around with all of the settings so you can use these to quickly find what you are looking for. You can also fine tune the sound by editing the parameters of each effect. If you do this without using the tone and effects library, it can take a long time, but it might be closer to what you're looking for. The only real problem with ease of use is that the screen can only display 2 characters so there are a lot of abbreviations to learn. However, the RP150 can be hooked up to a computer by USB and it comes with a useful program which makes it much easier to create effects and organise the patches. You can also download patches from the DigiTech website. There are regular firmware updates as well as help and support if you have a problem, but you probably won't need this as it comes with a good manual which covers pretty much everything. // 9

Sound: I am using this with a Squier Srat and SP10 amp and they sound a lot better with the RP150. There is no noise as long as you use the built in noise gate, which should never be turned off. It has just about any effect you could possibly want and you can also use an expression pedal to control the wah/wammy or just the volume. I find it difficult to create artist patches but I have managed to make a few and also downloaded some. This pedal has a large range of tones with everything from bright acoustic tones to deep metal tones, it is very versatile. The presets which it comes with are also pretty good although some of them sound quite similar. Another good feature is the drum Machine. There are lots of different drum beats to suit a number of styles. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have never had any problems with the unit and I would completely rely on it. It has a sturdy metal casing and feels reasonably solid although some of the plastic bits (control knobs etc) could easily be damaged if you weren't careful. It should be fine to use at a gig but I would take a backup anyway. I have had this pedal for about 6 months now and although I haven't used it at any gigs, it is showing no signs of wear. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a range of music but mainly rock (Guns n Roses, The Strokes, Red Hot Chili Peppers). I have found it good for most types of music, you just need to find the right patches and tweak them to suit your playing style. I have recently bought a volume pedal to control the wah and wammy (or volume) which helps it to be even more versatile. The reason that made me choose it over other similar products is it's USB connectivity. The software is really useful as it makes it much easier to create patches and there are also more option when you use the software. It can also be used for recording and the quality is pretty good. Overall, this is a very good alternative for anyone Who doesn't have the money to buy individual effects. // 8

RP150 Reviewed by: SGSamurai, on october 24, 2007

Purchased from: imuso

Ease of Use: When I got this I switched it straight on using the fairly easy-to-use manual provided. It fits in with my rig (Epiphone SG and a rubbish practice amp) quite well considering it's my first pedal. Cycling through the tone and effects library is easy if you use the manual but after a while it becomes boring. Also reaching down and having to adjust the tone using the knobs is annoying when you're halfway through a great solo, but what are you supposed to do about that? I think the x-edit is great for this as it makes editing patches a lot easier and you can download other peoples patches which are normally OK. The major downside is that you have to work for hours to get a good rock/metal tone and the manual doesnt't really advise you on how to do that. // 8

Sound: I use this with an Epiphone SG and a rubbbish practice amp and it makes them sound pretty good. My amps always had feedback problems but the noisegate sorted that out effectively, but makes the sustain awful. The effects are pretty good for a multi FX pedal and don't sound too weak but the distortion is very hard to use as you have so many different gain and tone settings. The high-gain distortion is particiularly bad.(you can't actualy hear any notes) The only thing that sounds really good is the chorus, which if you use with a clean tone and reverb is very effective. I'm now starting to wish I got the RP250 which has an expression pedal. Without one you can't use the Whammy features or the wah and that's really annoying. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've never really gigged so I don't know. Still I've dropped it a couple of times and nothings exploded. The case is hard and can survive a few knocks and scrapes, but you really need a bag to carry it around, because it's pretty damn heavy! It's never cut out on me before but sometimes it randomly deletes my patches, which is weird. // 9

Overall Impression: This pedals good for the all-rounder or for a beginner who just wants some good FX and amp modelling. Warning: metalheads should stay well away. I've been playing 6 months and can now play solos like Metallicas-one and GN'R's November Rain. If it were stolen/lost I'd buy the RP250 or get a better amp. This pedal is a typicl multi FX pedal: it just can't beat individual stompboxes. // 7

RP150 Reviewed by: Metallica_13, on august 07, 2008

Purchased from: Matchetts Music Belfast

Ease of Use: To get the preset tones out of this pedal it is just a matter of pushing the bank up or bank down switches with you foot, but if the preset tones are not what your looking for then to navigate around and tweek with the preset tones can be quite a challenge. There are knobs on the unit to adjust the presets but I find it easier to link up to my computer and use a program called Xedit which can be downloaded from the DigiTech website to change the presets. Using the program Xedit we can choose just how much of any one effect we want. // 5

Sound: The setup I use is a Dean Razorback V into the DigiTech RP150 and then into my Marshall MG 30DFX, to be able to use it with my amp the channel on my amp has to be set to clean as the unit provides built in distortion. The unit is fully midi compatible, but if recording to your computer I would recommend turning off your amp as it starts to make a buzzing noise when you connect it to your amp and your computer, when you have your amp turned off you wont be able to hear your playing unless you use headphones or have studio speakers. The effects from this unit always sound great. If you use the Xedit program to adjust the presets you can quite easily achieve your favourite artists sounds, for me I listen to a lot of Slayer, Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden and Trivium and I find it quite easy to get the sound of them from this unit. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't totally rely on this unit if I was going to use it at a Live gig, you would probably have to pause every time your going to change setting, I don't think the audience would be too happy about that, however if you are for using this unit in the studio I think it is a great Tool but other than that I wouldn't take it out with me. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal and I think this pedal has a lot of great potential for a lot of metal settings to be input into it to cover a lot of great metal artists. I have been playing for about four years now, I only have a wah wah pedal from Dunlop, I spent all my money on a Dean Razorback V, which was totally worth it if I must say. If I had the choice wether to buy this again or something different I would probably shop around a bit more for something that is a bit more easier to use, and maybe more practical for Live performances. // 5

RP150 Reviewed by: col50, on december 03, 2008

Price paid: C$ 149

Purchased from: Long and Mquade

Ease of Use: Starting off it was easy to use because it came with many nice presets. Making my own presets were easy after briefly skimming the manual. When I got it, it had firmware 1.3 so I connected it to my computer, installed the software and upgraded it to 1.4. Also DigiTech has this wonderful free program called X-edit and with that rogram you can edit presets using your computer. // 8

Sound: The DigiTech RP150 has many effects that are easy to use and control. The Wah is horrible but other than that the effects are great. One of my favourite features of it is that it has detune and pitch shifter so I can get to low pitch tuning without having to tune my guitar. With just after several minutes of fiddling with it I was able to get a close sound to Paul Gilbert and a spot on CKY sound. Of course the overall tone isn't really amazing but you can get some pretty nice sounds out of it if you know how to edit settings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: About after 1, one of the foot pedals became occasionally jammed but somehow I don't have that problem anymore. I probably wouldn't gig with it at all because it doesn't provide a sick enough tone but if I would gig with it I would probably bring a backup just in case. // 6

Overall Impression: I play anything from Death Metal (Dying Fetus, Deicide, Origin) to shred(paul gilbert, Buckethead) and it works well for any genre because it is very versatile. I have been playing for roughly 4-5 years and my current Guitar is an Epiphone LP-100. If my rp-150 was stolen or lost I probaly wouldn't get another one, I would probaly just save up for some single pedals. What I love about the RP150 is that it is very versatile and I can go from Death Metal to acoustic in the press of a button. What I don't like about it is it's bad tone and I would never use it for recording because of it's tone. I wish it would have an expression pedal with it and a mic input. // 7

RP150 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 18, 2009

Purchased from: Music Arts ( delaware)

Ease of Use: I got mine used with no booklet and my internet was down a bit, so it took me longer than average. Once I figured it out it is pretty easy to use. Most people with any type of reasonable intelligence should figure it out pretty quick. Editiing patches is as simple as using pedals once you learn how in the manual, which is very easy to folow. // 8

Sound: I am using an Ltd M-2 (in my avatar) and a Peavey Tracer through a Randall Rx20d. I do not find it overly noisy. No more than when I just used a regular old distortion unit. I use various settings my favorite effects to use are. The direct model cabinet, the mesa amp model ( gain at 70 and level at 65), I use the DigiTech Chorus model ( 25, 70, 0), noise gate ( 82, 0, 0), Room reverb at ( 60-75, 80, 35. Sometimes I use the Ds1 distortion model at ( 0-20, 50-60, 99) I like the that sound, but also add the flanger and delay. I don't realy use the other effects much I am mostly into older Kiss and George lynch in his dokken days and older Motley Crue. I can get the sound without much of a problem on them. I think the mesa REC model is great, The Marshall Sl model is also pretty for classic rock like skynyrd. The only distortions I really like are the tube Screamer and the ds1 model. The choruses, reverbs and phaser all are as good as most pedals ( that wont break the bank). The flangers are decent, but I will say that the Boss is much better if you use lots of flanger. Sometimes I will use the built in reverb in my Randall instead of what is on the amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have never used it Live, but it seems like it would hold up pretty well. I would probably have a backup at a gig, but this should cover you. It is much better than the previous versions. Another thing cool is you can edit this on your computer with a usb cable after you download the software ( it comes with it new) at DigiTech.com You can then get a freeware program like audacity on the web and record with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I am mostly into older Kiss and George lynch in his dokken days and older Motley Crue. I can get the sound without much of a problem on them. I have been back playing about 10 months and have my gear on my page. Depending on what I could find one for I would buy one. I doubut I would pay the new retail. I would probably go one step up, but under $100 it is worth it. I compared it to other products and it was the best for the money. The only thing I really don't like about it is not being able to just go from clean to distortion without having to Switch pedals. THe three bottom one has that feature, but other than that it's good. // 8

RP150 Reviewed by: riffmerchant, on june 30, 2009

Purchased from: dv247.com

Ease of Use: This was very easy to figure out, 4 knobs, and 5 buttons, then marked out with a grid above the knobs so that you know exactly which knob/button is going to go to what effects bank. Editing patches is very easy, similar to most other multi-FX pedals, you simply make your desired patch, press the store button once, move the footswitches up and down to scroll to the number of patch you want it to overwrite/store in. The manual is very easy to use, is made logically so you can get the basics learned first then learn about the more advanced stuff, i.e. using it for recording, editing patches on the PC. It came with firmware version 1.4, their website has all of the drivers and software available for download for free, so I just downloaded them and flashed my ME unit to v 1.6, it also gives you software like X-Edit (very good program indeed!), preset converter and you can use audacity, guitar tracks pro or similar programs to record your guitar. // 10

Sound: I use this through a Marshall MG10CD, and play a 1958 Epiphone Explorer, it sounds awesome! And I'm only through a 10 watt amp, I would say the tone kicks ass on a 30 watt or higher amp! It is not noisy at all, I previously owned a Zoom G2 and that thing used to buzz and reverb like hell, not the RP150 its silent (until you start playing!) If I was to rate the quality of the effects out of 10 they would definately get a nice big 9.5, it looses 0.5 because the presets really do suck, but once you hook it up to X-edit and start playing around with the EQ's, different amp models, stompboxes and effects you will be surprised what you can get. I have near perfect kirk hammet and james hetfield rhythm and solo patches, dimeba's scooped rhythm, Slipknot's very disgusting yet awesome distortion, and all the way up to nice cleans I.e. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tool... So this baby has it all in terms of variety, you can use up to 11 effects on one patch! So it's very possible to create your own unique sound that maybe noone in the world has heard before! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The unit is made of Solid Metal, the footswitches are heavy duty plastic and I don't think even a heavy bang on it by your foot would break it (although its not advisable to try it out! I certainly wont!) The knobs are rubber and the buttons plastic I would definately depend on it. Yes I would definately take this to a gig, and I am doing on the 5th of july, I wouldn't bother with a backup it looks like it can take some wear and tear, if it broke down during a gig that would just be plain bad luck and not DigiTech! // 9

Overall Impression: I play every music known to man, if it has guitar work in it, I like it, but I love metal music, and it is a perfect companion for any bedroom rocker or small bands etc. I have been playing for 5 years have owned many effects units, but this is now my favourite, and if I ever buy another pedal it wont be another vendor, I think I will stick with DigiTech for a good few years to come and upgrade to the bigger units when I have the money. I don't hate one thing about it, I LOVE IT! I compared this to a Zoom G2.1u, the Zoom being more expensive, less effects, less patch banks, and I owned a Zoom G2 and I can definately say the effects on a Zoom G2 sound washed out compared to the RP150, so I went for the RP150! This is the ONLY let down though. USB CABLE! I don't see why they don't supply us with the USB cable it would only add an extra couple of pounds to the price, most other effects pedals that have recording functions come with them why not DigiTech! Ah well it's a very common USB cable to find, I found one in the back of my printer, most people should have one laying around somewhere, so because of this it has to loose 1 point and I'll rate it overall a nice big 9! // 9

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Drop 7.9 Guitar Effects 09/26/2014