RP155 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 07/16/2010 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RP155
You can start jamming with the pre-programmed patches right away. There are 50 permanant & 50 that you can alter to make your own sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Ease of Use: 9
 7.7
 6.4
reviews (3) pictures (2) 15 comments vote for this gear:
RP155 Reviewed by: dngrsdave, on january 25, 2010

Purchased from: Guitar World

Ease of Use: This was my first Multi effect pedal. I am Extremly happy with it. The instructions are easy to follow and you can start jamming with the pre-programmed patches right away. There are 50 permanant & 50 that you can alter to make your own sound.It is pretty easy to dial -in each effect using the pedal or you can get a patch cord (I used an old Printer cord) and do it using a computer. By going on the DigiTech website you can download software to manipulate the effect with your computer. You can also check & upload any revisions or upgrades to the pedal. Mine was fine. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Squier Standard Strat or a twin Humbucker Les Paul copy through a Raven RG20 Amp without any problems at all and it Sounds Great. I originally bought the effect before I had an amp and plugged in my remote speakers for an I-POD or head phones (1/8 jack) which worked fine for practice, until I bought my Amp. You can also run the system thru your computers speakers. I can Achieve any Sound imagineable with this effects pedal and it's easy to operate, Once I went through the instruction booklet.It goes through each different effect then gives you each option to adjust the individual parameters. It's easier than it sounds, and if you use your computer to program, not only is adjusting a breeze, there are a few extra options available. I enjoy using the effect to simulate all the different Amp heads and speaker cabinets to create dozens of Vintage sounds.There are also tons of different distortion pedals as well as all the other effects.The combinations are endless but easy to adjust. There is also a drum Machine and a metronome built into the the pedal so you can play along and keep time. There are several settings, Rock, Metal, Jazz country etc. And each of these have several different samples as well as being able to speed up or slow down. What makes this pedal effect better than the RP150 and some others is the 20 second looper. I can play a blues pattern a riff or rhythm pattern, and it will repeat so you can jam off it. The only drag is you can't use the drum Machine with the looper. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I mostly use this effect setting in front of me on a table. The effect is made from plastic and does have foot pedals, but I wouldn't get carried away stomping on it. It would be difficult to gig with because you can only toggle up & down one pre programmed sound at a time. So to go from position 1, say, a crunchy rhythm to #8 a clean lead, you have to step on the pedal 7 times up. With some thought and planning, you might be able to use this pedal onstage. This pedal is perfect for messing around & practicing with. You can get 100's of different sounds and effects from this one low priced ($100.00) pedal. // 8

Overall Impression: I just started playing again after a 25 year absence.I still have my old Les Paul copy Metal Battle Ax, a DOD 250 distortion and an old Phase pedal. This DigiTech RP 155 was the perfect addition with my new Squier Strat.I can dial in any guitar sound I want or download a patch from someone else.I researched quite awhile and almost bought a Zoom G1 before a buddy showed me his DigiTech RP150. I bought the RP155 because it's the newer model plus it has the Looper. As long as I wasn't gigging out, I would definately replace this pedal if I lost it. It's perfect for practice or sitting around jamming. You can't go wrong for the price. If I could get just 1 more thing, it would be an expression pedal to use as a foot controlled volume or a Wah Wah. // 9

RP155 Reviewed by: Raptor195, on june 15, 2010

Purchased from: Music Club

Ease of Use: Well, it has got an easy to understand matrix, with LED's for each effect and has got only 4 buttons and four knobs, so it is easy to use, but probably you'll always have to carry the manual, for knowing each model of the different rows. Editing is easy, especially with the free X-Edit software, but you always have to carry the manual, which is very complete and easy to understand. The version of my RP155 is 1.1, free for all previous. // 8

Sound: My amp is an Cube 80x, although I have used it with smaller Yamaha models, and with powerful Marshall's, particularly JCM900 (which I want to buy), and I'm not gonna lie: it is a very noisy thing, especially when using most of the effects it contains. The built-in noise gate fixes it, although there's always a hiss. The effects are great. When I started playing, I wanted to buy pedals separately, I got lots, but when it was time to gig, they were too much to carry, so I bought this by recommendation of a friend of other band. I have compared its models to the real pedals, and they sound exactly the same, even batter with the X-Edit. I can virtually get any sound I want, even model amps. I am a great fan of Tom Morello, and so this is a dream for me. The Whammy screams and bends perfectly, especially with the optional Expression Pedal. The only effect that doesn't sound very good without the expression is the Wah. You are supposed to set a range of the Wah pedal to work as an "Autowah", but even though you keep moving and moving the knobs, it doesn't say "Wah". So, if you want this, get an expression pedal or get the version (I don't know its name) which includes one. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on it. With X-Edit software, you can store your presets in a PC so you never lose them. It is not as heavy as most stompboxes, but it is hard, although you have to take care of it 'cause if it falls, circuit damage may occur. In gigs, you can't reach your effects so easily, because it has got only two footswitches, and for example, if you are in preset 14 and want to reach 29, you have to press and wait until you reach it. My recomendation in this case is that you store your effects in the order that you are gonna use them live, as I do. // 8

Overall Impression: I play everything, from classic rock to death metal. So, I use a wide variety of effects, from warm Overdrive to DJ sounds using phaser, flanger, etc, so this fits for me, and for every stile. The factory presets range from Blues to thrash, and if the sound you're looking for isn't in, you can create it. It is versatile. I've played for almost six years, and the first stompbox I got was a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion. I'm obsessed with effects so I have also got a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, an Original Crybaby Wah-Wah, some Cool Cat pedals from Danelectro, a Whammy, etc... I use all of them in home and with my band, but when gigging, I take only my RP155. I only wish I had had enough money for buying the version that includes the expression pedal, or that someone had told me I needed it. I love everything about it. It has enough models as to satisfy every dirty player, and is good for beginners. I only hate the innacurate tuner and the unsounding Wah. If it was stolen, I would get angry and look for it, but if I didn't find it I would simply buy another, as it's cheap even for me. I compared it with my previous Boss ME-20 (which was stolen), and I think I can get greater effects from this one rather than the BOSS, due to the amp modeling and the inclusion of various real existing pedals from other brands (BOSS uses to simulate only pedals from his own brand). I wish it had the expression pedal, but I say it again: there's a version that includes it. Noting else. It fits perfectly my style, as I hope it does with you. // 9

RP155 Reviewed by: GregAshby, on july 16, 2010

Purchased from: www.Musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: The DigiTech RP155 is an extremely simple pedal to use and its really easy to achieve a great unique sound! The manual is very easy to use and very decriptive. It tells you everything you need to know! The pedal allows you to build/create your own sound with mix-and-match effects processing and it also allows you to store your own effects combos! // 10

Sound: I use a Fender Stratocaster and an Ibanez RG350DX through a Marshall MG50 and a Vintage Fender Tweed 65 all tube amp. It is a very quiet and has extremely strong effects and they are very clear. The pedal has so many different effects and sound you can achieve a near limitless sound arsenal! This pedal has: 20 Second looper 83 Amps, cabinets, stompboxes and effects 23 Amp/Acoustic Types 12 Cabinet Types Lexicon Reverbs 30 Tone and 30 Effects Libraries 100 presets (50 factory, 50 user) Up to 5 seconds of delay time 24-bit 44.1kHz sample rate 60 High quality drum patterns 2 x 2 USB audio streaming USB editing via DigiTech X-Edit Independent 1/4" Left and Right Outputs Amp / Mixer Switch optimizes 1/4" outputs for amps and mixers Stereo 1/8" headphone output Stereo 1/8" Aux Input Built-in Chromatic Tuner Durable die-cast chassis Power supply included This pedal has: // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a very very dependable pedal. This is the only effects pedal that I currently own and its the only one that I need. I have no problem achieveing the quality sounds that I want. It is made with a metal body and has two plastic Switch pedals BUT I have had no problems with it at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from country to the heaviest of metal and it never fails. I specialize in post-harcore/metalcore styles so I have to have extreme distortion and this pedal always pulls through. If this pedal was stolen I would probably get the DigiTech RP255 which is the same basic thing but has a built in exspression pedal. That is the only thing I wish this pedal had. Other than that I love everything about this pedal! // 9

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ RP1000 5.7 Guitar Effects 12/17/2013