RP200 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 02/15/2011 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RP200
RP200 is Amp Modeling Multi-Effects Processor with a built-in expression pedal. Combines the tones of 12 vintage and modern Amps with 28 effects. Built in expression pedal. 6 character alpha-numeric display, 3 knob-matrix based user interface.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Ease of Use: 7.9
 7.2
 8.2
 6.1
reviews (14) 10 comments vote for this gear:
RP200 Reviewed by: silvertone1, on january 24, 2005

Purchased from: pawn shop

Ease of Use: This is a very easy to use unit, just plug and play will get very usable tones. As the facory presets are good. The editing takes some time not something to do on the fly but is easy and fun. Since I bought this in a Pawn shop it had no manual, I did go to the DigiTech website and downloaded it to printit. Very good website with lots of info and user settings. // 10

Sound: My setup includes a 1976 Strat, new Squier Strat with staggerd 54 pickups, and a pair of 1965 Silvertone Hornets one setup for slide work. I run these into the RP200 into a stock Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The effects are great as well as the amp sims I like the noise reuction in this unit as it is adjustable. AsI use all single coils what is noise to some is probably just normal to me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would and do gig with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I have played for over 40 years and have owned lots of vintage effects (they were new items then), several processers and to many guitars, amps to mention. The reason I bought this was: 1) I wanted a portable all in one unit that could give me great distortions, delays, with wah. 2) The price was right. 3) I knew I could trust DigiTech products. 4) It souded great in the store, and much better at home with my own gear. Overall would recomend it highly I like the head phone jack, the drum synth, and pitch shift, synth talk featues, quite fun to play. // 10

RP200 Reviewed by: cointurtlemoose, on september 12, 2005

Ease of Use: I have had this thing now for about a year and I have gotten the hang of it. In my opinion, the preset effects on the pedal are not very good at all. There were a couple good ones, but you had to switch through like five to ten others in order to get to another good one. It took me a while to learn, because I lost the manual, how to create my own effects. By creating your own effects, you can create a bunch that you like right next to each other so you don't have to switch through a billion effects to get to one you want. But, in its default state, switching in between effects can get quite cumbersome. // 6

Sound: In its default state, the sound of the pedal is slightly annoying. Some of the distortion/overdrive effects are decent-sounding, but the others are pretty much bordering on sounding way to digital and annoying. But, like I already touched on, if you create your own effects using all the little buttons on the side, you can customize and create some really good sounding effects. You can create whatever sound you want when you mess around with it. When I use this pedal, I use it with a Strat going through a Marshall 250 DFX. I am pleased with the sound when I am using the effects that I have created. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have never had any major problems with it in terms of the problem not being my fault. The digital read-out on the pedal can hardly be seen outside, but it's not really made for that I guess. Anyway, I've even dropped it on concrete several times (most of them were accidents) and it still works as good as the day I bought it. I would probably do a gig with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play a variety of music and this pedal has the potential to do it all. I blatantly disagree with the way the default effects were made and the way they were laid out but when you create your own effects, this pedal can sound very good. I really do like this pedal and in defeats the purpose of going out and buying chorus, phaser, distortion, etc. pedals because these effects on the pedal can sound so good. This pedal in default state would be about a 2 out of 5, but when you mess around with it and mold its sound, it becomes so much better. // 8

RP200 Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 04, 2003

Ease of Use: Digi-Tech has hit the jackpot on this little pedal. It is actually a Guitar Modeling Processor by definition. The two stomp pedals make it easy and hands free to scroll through your favorite presets (can hold 80) You can also program the expression pedal to do diffrent things (Wa-Wa, Volume, Amount of effect being used, Ya-Ya ect.) To program your preset you go through a painstaking process of going through diffrent stages and selecting options with 3 knobs. This is not as necisarily difficult, as it is boring. But mabbee I'm just lazy. Overall it is one of the easist-to-use products I have ever had the enjoyment to use. // 10

Sound: When using the RP-200, im just using a Fender strat, and a little 15 watt Crate amp. The sound quality on ALL the effects sound great, but better when the guitar volume is lower and the amp volume is higher. But other than that they sound great. You can get any sound you want out of this thing, the distortian is great. And the clean effects are great to. Lately mine has been shorting out a little. I don't know if this is my cable or the jack on my guitar. I'm not certain its the Pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable, I have used it all over, it comes with a DC power supply, so no worrys about running out of batteries. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is an awsome product. And I suggest that if you're looking to buy a modeling guitar processor... look into digi-tech. For only 150 dollars. Compared to how much you would end up spending in individual stompboxes, its a good deal. You could also step down for the cheaper model. The RP-100, for only $100. // 10

RP200 Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 04, 2003

Purchased from: www.musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: Getting a good sound out if it is as simple as plugging it in. The patchs are easy to edit (40 patchs can be saved) the expression pedal is reliable. The manual is understandable. // 10

Sound: I have a samick 7 string electric guitar and i play it through a peavy bandit 112 amp. There is virtualy no noise or feedback from the unit. The effects never cut out. I have no problems replicating the sound of my favorite artists: Pearl jam, Creed, Metallica, Pantera, Alice in chains, Godsmack, System of a down. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is the most dependable multi effect pedal out there in that price range. I have played gigs with out back ups. It is constructed out of medal (not plastic like the Zoom 505) the expression pedal works like a charm, the sound never cuts out, there is no noise when switching to by-pass mode. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all types of music, but mostly I dable in metal. This is the perfect pedal for me. the talk box effect is great for recreating the alice in chains sound. All the effects keep those harmonic notes ringing. when effects are on major chords can be played with out that "muddy" sound. If someone stole it, I would hunt them down, tie their family to a water heater (assuming this scum bag has a family) take the thief up stairs, break his knee caps, and whip him to death with a guitar cable. Then I would take my pedal back, and go back to playing yellow ledbetter. It helps in making music. Basically it's great. // 10

RP200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 03, 2003

Purchased from: e bay

Ease of Use: With the DigiTech RP200 it is so easy to get a good sound out of it with a twist of a knob or a click of a peddle you can go from jazz, blues,rock or maybe some Jimi Hendrix. When you wont to make your own sound its so easy to edit. The thing is so easy to you'se you don't need a manual (but for the people who need some help its there a as clear as water). // 10

Sound: Im using a Fender so the sound comming out of the guitar is good. It's only noisywhen you wont it to be. Man the effects are sounding better every day. I use a peavy amp so Im having no problems. When I wont to play some of my fav artists like JIMI HENDRIX, NIRVANA, PEARL JAM or just whatevere it all good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will just work and work with that aluminium shell. // 10

RP200 Reviewed by: fuzzyshamjammer, on march 29, 2004

Purchased from: Music City

Ease of Use: The GNX3 is very easy to use, especially when it comes to recording and editing. Tge GNX3 comes with a 8 track digital recorder with a built in a drum element. When you record a song, you can transfer song from the GNX3 onto a mixing board or onto your computer. The Gnx 3 also comes with a panning element and a level control for each track. // 10

Sound: I use a 84' standard les paul with a Gfx65 Crate amp. It blends nicely. There is absolutely no fuzz in the backround unless you have a certain pickup on. The effects are always sounding great and are never weak unless im using a bad output plug in the wall. Another great part of it is that you can get the sound of your faveorite player. All you do is warp red and green cabinets together till you get the sound you want. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on the GNX3. I would also bring a back up just incase at live gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and roll, acid jazz, blues and swing and I matches up perfectly and you can just get any sound you like on it. I'm only 13 so I only been playing for 3 or 4 yrs. I only own 3 other guitars. Overall the GNX3 kicks ass and i reccomend it!~!~!~! // 10

RP200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2004

Purchased from: N/A

Ease of Use: The first time I used this unit was superb. It was so easy to use, you won't even need the manual to check it. Easy to edit patches and to store in different patch values. The only thing that I don't like in this unit is that the way we change/switch effects. Example is that I'm using a patch in the value 16 (a phaser souding patch) and then switch to value 22 (a wicked bright rhythm sound) and then go to value 14 (a warm delayed sound good for improvision and solo) you will go through some difficult stage, stomping on the pedals up and down. It's a waste of time and that you will be having a hard-time switching a current patch to another. // 6

Sound: Well, about my rig and setup I would appreciate if some will laugh but then I've been earning with my stuffs. I use a Fender Classic Strat, 5 way switching with Seymour Duncan (single coil pickups of course).I hear some laughing because its cheap. I use the old Marshall Valvestate amp, I use this in live and in small room gigs. (Laughter increases!) Anyway, RP200 makes some noise. I don't know why, especially when turning the volume low on my guitar. I hate it. I have a Zoom 505 which sounds better than RP200 because of its ZNR feature. I don't understand, why its noisy. I have checked the power supply wires and the cords but nothing seemed bad. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Hard and heavy but not the sound quality. I have dumped this unit but it survived. If I have been in the U. S. and have money, I would buy Korg AX1500 or the Boss GT-6 guitar effects because of their sound quality and superior durability that you can rely on. // 8

Overall Impression: I play alternative, rock, jazz, some thrash and gospel. I have been playing for almost 7 years. I still use my Zoom 505 because it sounded better that this unit. Sometimes I connect RP200 and Zoom 505 and have the killer tones from Zoom, use the RP200 as a volume pedal. // 6

RP200 Reviewed by: Kirk Hammett55, on november 30, 2005

Ease of Use: This pedal is not for someone who is impatient, there's a big learning curb for this DigiTech footpedal. There are three knobs (far left) amp type, (middle) gain, and (far right) Master Level for overall volume. They both work in increments to 100. Tweaking them is something the owner will have to get use to doing over and over again. // 5

Sound: You can choose your pickups, wah ranges, compressor(and compressor range and distortion), amp models, equilalizer, cabinet/mic, a noisegate (with the range and type), effect types, delay, reverb, and the expression range for the pedal. The sounds on most of the effects are bland and mediocre with the highlight being the wah. The wah on this multi-effects pedal can keep up with the best of them, from creamy low end to plenty of high end bite. The pit downfall would be the "Whammy" effect, it sounds like someone is falling on top of a violin and just so happens to have a bow in their hands. But if you have nerves of steel and perseverance you can work your way into a decent distortion. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I would call this the DigiTech Brick! It's not necessarily heavy, (weighing in at about 3.8 lbs) but it would survive a few more drops than the average pedal. You can depend on this pedal to haunt you a long time! // 8

Overall Impression: If you come across a combination of effects and distortion that you like you can store it in the footpedal and name it, all using the "store" button (who woulda thought). If there is one thing this pedal is mainly capable of it has to be for practice and for jam sessions that are not too serious. If you can afford to get a better effects processor(cough, cough a POD) than you would be better off spending those few extra bucks. // 6

RP200 Reviewed by: Luv4metal, on january 21, 2006

Ease of Use: I have owned the RP 200 for about 2 years now and I have always had good sound out of it, a little on the dirty side with the distortion, but theres alot of things you can do to fix that. The manual was a great help when I purchased the RP200 without that your going to have a really hard time figuring out alot of the things this product can do. // 8

Sound: Currently I am using a Mode four half stack, with a PRS se edition guitar and they work together great, you can really get asome punch with it. Although it has good sound there are some settings that just howl for me, but there is a noise gate option which helps alot especially when your playing loud. The effects on it including, Whammy, Wah, Yah, Vibrato etc. sound great and you can tune it to your exact likings. I find that the best sound from the RP 200 comes out of the clean channels and the tube amp effects. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The RP 200 has a metal shell around, I have dropped it numeral times, but never had a problem I would and do trust this with gigs and I dont worry about a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal and rock, I would say that if your playing all heavy metal to go out and get a metal petal, but if you change it up from time to time this is a good product. I have been playing for 13 years and I own a strat along with 4 other smaller amps. If I ever had a problem and lost the RP200 I would probably go out and get the upgrade. One of my favorite features is the fact that you can pretty much do anyhting with it and the built in tuner rocks. I would say that this product is kind of like the Zoom 505 series, but better. // 9

RP200 Reviewed by: tsmilliner, on february 23, 2006

Purchased from: Paragon Music

Ease of Use: This thing is extremely easy to use. I plugged it in and was playing in 5 minutes with over 100 preset effects. Not sure of firmware or how to upgrade or even why you would upgrade. // 8

Sound: I have used it with 3 guitars, my Jay Turser 200, Squire HH Standard, Squire Fat Strat, and my buds Epiphone LP Standard. All 3 guitars sounded awesome. There are several amp models to choose from as well as artist presets. They are all actually fairly close to the real sound. I am playing thru a Roland Cube 15. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I am not sure if I would use it for a gig or not, but can't see a reason why I wouldn't. It can be a bit difficult to switch back and forth. If I had one sound I wanted to switch on and off ti would be fine. So far it is dependable and seems like it is well made. I have read some stuff about the adapter plug but so far so good with no prob. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a bit of everything, although none very well. I mostly just screw around and try to get a good sound or rhythm going. And of course scales scales scales. I played bass for a few years as a teen back in the '80s, just decided to get playing again and this time take it to another level. If it were stolen, I would hunt the sob down, and kick the shit out of them. If I didn't catch them I would definitely buy another or maybe an upgrade with a loop. This one doesn't have looping. // 8

RP200 Reviewed by: LiamPower, on november 27, 2006

Ease of Use: The RP200 is a good cheap unit for players looking for a wide range of Digital effects. But, due to the large range of effects built in, Players like myself wit not much experience in digital effects can find the hundreds of customisations a little daunting. // 5

Sound: I am using a generic Legend Telecaster Copy, which without effects tends to sound quite harsh and twangy. This effects processor greatly decreases this unpleasant harsh sound with it's customisable treble, bass and middle controls. The distortion modelling is quite good, with a range of amp models availabe, including the inspirational 'Stack' for those raging solos. Or 'Acoustic' for some light chord progression or fingerpicking. The chorus is quite good and the notes come out smooth. In the effects department there are a big range, including panner, tremelo, flanger, whammy, phaser, delay, rotary and vibrato. If you are looking for some bluesy Overdrive, it has some amp settings with a nice crunch, and the built in reverb gives it that warm feeling. The unit also minimizes feedback, but on the more hard distortion levels the feedback may become a bit overwhelming. The unit also comes with a built in pedal, which can be customized with 3 different wah settings, Jimmy Page like ya ya, or simply used as a volume control. And a built in drum Machine helps you practice your timing. All in all the sound is very bright and warm on clean channels, and gives you that rockstar feel with it's powerful solo capabilities. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I was mainly looking for a processor that I could carry around with me in the front of a gig bag, and with this unit I could. I recommend this to anyone who needs a compact unit with a great range of effects. Also it is quite durable and I feel I could drop it down the stairs without much of a drama. // 8

Overall Impression: I usually play a kind of bluesy overdriven rock. And this unit is quite good for that, it gave my rather cheap guitar a warm bluesy feel. This was my first multi-effects processor, and I would recommend it to other first timers lookig for an affordable and very customizable unit. I have been playing for Just under two years and this processor has helped me progress in my soloing capabilities with it's drum machine. Before this unit I owned a number of distortion pedals, and I found it was quite a nuisance buying batteries for them all. So when I got this processor I found all my pedals put into one lightweight package with a single power supply, it was like a dream come true. In this product I love the ability to customize my sound to suit me, I love the distortion and the effects. But I hate the rather harsh feedback on the heavy distortion and the rather harsh sounding Whammy effect. Which when being controlled by the pedal can sound horrible. My favourite feature would have to be the in built tuner, for when you are in the middle of a jam you don't want to have to unplug and plug into another electronic tuner. Overall this unit is very good for a guitarist looking for a huge range of effects at a rather small price. // 7

RP200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2007

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: I'm new to guitar effects, so I found this pedal kind of hard to use without consulting a manual. Once I got the basics of it down, though, it became quite simple. Editing different effects is made pretty easy by this pedal. Like I said, the manual comes in handy when you use it. I think something is messed up on some effects, like the flanger. Sometimes, I go up to use the flanger effect, and it just plays as overdrive/distortion. I have to go to something else and come back to the flanger over and over again before it actually works. I am having to constantly reset the effects and store them again, which is extremely annoying. This is not the pedal for you if you don't have much patience. I'm only using it for practice, so I'm ok with it. // 8

Sound: I have a Starcaster by Fender (NOT a Strat) with a Squier SP 10 Amp. Despite the cheapness of my setup, this pedal sounds great. The whammy effect is terrible, though. On normal rock distortion, I hear quite a bit of noise once I play the first note with it. Aside from that, I easily get pleasing sounds from this pedal. I play a lot of Styx and Red Hot Chili Peppers, and this pedal can sound good with that. The sound is good enough for a gig, but I just can't rely on it much. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It looks to be a pretty durable little device, but I don't think it would be good to gig with. You have to reset and re-store some of the effects a lot for it to sound right, so if you wanted a flanger, it might do a regular rock distortion instead when you Switch it. Very frustrating, but it sounds awesome when it finally starts working right. Maybe it's just my pedal, or the power supply, that I bought used. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly alternative rock and normal rock 'n' roll (some '70s-'80s and that kind of thing) And I love how great this thing works with it. I have been playing for about a year now, but both sides of my family had very talented guitar players, so this kind of thing comes naturally to me. This would be my first guitar accessory, but it sounds awesome with the songs I play. If it were stolen, though, I might try to find an RP250 cheap, but if I couldn't, I could settle for another one of these. I love how easy it is to use once you customize all the presets. My favorite feature would have to be the phaser effect. I just like this effect in general, but it sounds awesome, especially when it is on a faster setting in high gain. Again, the whammy effect is just awful, but I never need to use it anyway. Overall, I'd say it's a good buy, especially for beginners. More experienced players might only use it in practice, but if one thought he could rely on the sound, it would be ok to record with, too. // 9

RP200 Reviewed by: gtrsoloistC.V., on february 16, 2009

Ease of Use: I bought a RP200 and it is so Easy to Use but without the manual you could get confused. The manual is great it gives you options and examples. This product is awesome! The Easy of Use is fairly good.They should add a up and down button for the edit presets button. // 8

Sound: I'm using my Gibson les paul guitar with my peavy rage 158. it's a perfect match. The effects and amp models can be a little noisey, but that gives it a high distortion sound on certain amps. Almost all effects are great the synthtalk is a little edgey but I love it.Some effecys should be added. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is definetly relible and durable. I slam my foot with the Whammy and wah and it's still in great shape.I would only bring 1 to a gig that's how relible it is.Even though it's great for slamming it's bad wiring one of my presets are broken.Reliability and durability. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, heavy rock, blues, acoustic, and way more and every thing fits and matches.I've been playing for 3 years and this product is perfect.If it was stolen I would track them down and kill them just because it's that great, but I would buy another one if it was stolen or lost. // 9

RP200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 15, 2011

Ease of Use: All in all, I have always found this to be relatively easy to use. I use it for a lot of different things, such as a Compressor for vocals or bass, as a full amp modeler forvDI'ing my guitar for recording, or as a delay/wah through my amp with another chorus pedal, and it does very well for all of these. I do wish it had another couple of footswitches for switching the Wah or distortion on and off, or even a separate bypass switch, but at the price point, I'm not complaining. I'm not a fan of the preprogrammed presets, but editing the patches isn't that big a deal overall. It does everything I need it to do. // 7

Sound: I run a Gibson Sonex into a Fender Frontman 212R (very underrated amp, in my opinion). I put the RP200, as well as a DOD Stereo Chorus, in the effects loop. From there, I run it back to the Fender, as well as into a small Vox amp with an extention cabinet as a slave. One thing I learned very quickly, do NOT try to use amp modeling through the effects loop! This created a really loud microphonic squeal that about burst my eardrums! That being said, it seems to be very quiet, and using the noise gate eliminated any hum or hiss when I wasn't playing. The delay and reverbs are quite good, though I use the reverb on the amp since it's a real spring reverb and simply sounds better. The modulation and pitch-shifting effects work very well, and with the stereo chorus pedal, I can get some very interesting sounds. The Wah range is almost too wide for my taste, but I can work around that. Again, it does everything I need it to do. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Here's my one issue with this unit. I have owned it for a few years, and it really started to show signs of wear after just a couple years. The AC input is starting to short a bit, the plugs are very loose, and the footswitches started doing nothing at one point. After taking the unit apart a few times and doing some work on it, I was able to rectify some of these issues, but it was still unexpected, and frankly rather annoying. I still have to pull it open now and then and "shim up" the rubber stoppers on the footswitches that actuate the microswitches. It seems that the circuit board has a tendency to weaken and flex over time. Some soldering and "modification" fixed most of these problems, but for gigging I definitely recommend a backup. If it breaks again, I may scrap it and buy something new. // 3

Overall Impression: I play blues, progressive rock, and punk/alternative, and all in all, this does what I need it to. Even with the reliability issues, in a studio setting, it's a good little unit. Live I'm not so sure I would trust it, but it would work for small gigs or situations where you know it wouldn't get knocked around. Don't let the cast aluminum housing fool you, this is a fragile unit. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably buy something else, which I plan to do anyways and retire this box to my pile of studio gear. Not a bad unit overall, but could have been made a lot better. // 6

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ RP355 8.6 Guitar Effects 08/04/2014