RP200A Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 09/25/2005 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RP200A
RP200A offering tones of the greatest vintage and modern Amps ever made, acoustic guitar simulation, and a host of programmable effects.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.1
 Ease of Use: 8.7
 7.6
 8.5
 6.6
reviews (15) pictures (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
RP200A Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2004

Purchased from: Mountain Music

Ease of Use: The Ease of use of this pedle is great. I have made all of my effects for songs that I have written and for System of a Down and Tool etc. songs I wish to play. I never even looked at the manual exept to see which artist made a preset. My friend however read the manual and got very mad at me and jelouse because he just spent equal on a Zoom pedle which is 1/4 as good in all catagories. // 10

Sound: In just a couple of minutes I can make my Squier Strat and Squier SP-10 amp sound like the guitar in songs like peep-hole and lateralus and such. I can make it sound like an amp in another room and be right beside it or sound like its blaring and have it quiet. The effects are exceptionally well except for some like wah and synthasizer. Those few effects are limited in use and control but do sound great. Even though I give this pedle high praise, it doesn't sound as good as an Iceman 400 with Marshall mode four half stack. Oh well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have never had a problem with it. I could probally through it down thew stair and it still be mint (like hell I'm trying). I would use it in a gig because it is so simple to organise the effects and could just set it up for the show. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall Impression blown away! I have always had succsess in doing whatever I want with it and have always enjoyed it's sound. Really the only and extremely annoying problem is how it only has 40 presets that I can make my own, the other 80! are completely useless and a major waste of space and I absolutely despise them! If it was stole I would mabye buy the DigiTech RP200, not the artist version in hope it had more presets that I could change. But I would probally not buy it again because it was on sale from its original 420. If I had more money to waste at the time it was stolen I would buy the RP400. I wish this had more memory for me and more control over the effects. // 10

RP200A Reviewed by: headbanger420, on september 02, 2004

Purchased from: music123.com

Ease of Use: It is very easy to use. Every thing you need to know is right on the unit itself. very easy to edit effects and almost an unlimeted combination. I've had it for almost a year and I'm still coming up with supriseingly good effects. And for those of you that can't Pick it up right of the bat, the manual is very easy to understand. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a Fender frontman and an aria guitar and it makes that crappy guitar sound like the voice of god! Some of the preset effects suck but there are many good ones from all styles of music. It has 120 presets. 40 that you can custimze and save on to the unit, 40 artist presets(Iron Maiden, Nickleback and many more), and for factory presets. It has 11 effects, including wah, flanger, phaser, chours, and Whammy. It has a compressor, noise gate, amp simulator(Marshall's, Mesa Boogie's, Fender's) expresion pedal, reverb, 3 band eq, drum Machine, tuner, and much more. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable. has a metal caseing. I'm Not sure I would use it at a gig because if your effects aren't in order for the songs you want to play it would be to hard to find what your lookung for, but if they are in the order you wan tI would use it in a gig. It is very excelent to jam by yourself or when your band is practicing or if you like to save space with on pedal istead of like 5 or 6 stompboxes. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this pedal. It fits any style of music because of the flexability and how customizable each effect is. Very good deal. If lost or stolen I would defeintly buy another. // 10

RP200A Reviewed by: Frèak!!!!, on september 28, 2005

Purchased from: Music store (Germany)

Ease of Use: This pedal is really easy to use, everything is on the pedal you need to know. Their is a 120 pre-effects, 40 user, 40 preset and 40 custom which are by artist including Murderdolls, Iron Maidin, Drowning Pool and more. You can make some great sounds from this pedal every kind of distortion and effect. When you get it you have to put distortion and clean together so it will be like channel select. Their is a very good manual with it telling you the names of the artist on it and how to use, but I didn't need to use it because its so simple to use. // 10

Sound: I run it through a Hughes & Kettners 60w amp and a les paul standerd. It come out perfect not a sound also if their is sound their is a Gate Threshold to stop crap noises. On some overdrived effects it can be a little bit noisy thats it though. The effect can be week or strong theirs a effect level on the pedal so your sorted their, and the great sound stays with it all the time. You can get the sound of Kurt Cobain to Kirk Hammet, but I hate having the same distortion as someone else I like to have a creative sound and this pedal gives you that. Some of the distortion are a waste of space but it come with the great effects so it sounds great overall. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I always depend on this pedal and it hasn't let me down yet, it has a complette metal frame so it won't move to easy. I use it in alot gigs I play and I dont think I'll need a backup for years to come. // 10

Overall Impression: I range from metal to blues and it suits it perfectly, I've been playing 2 years and Have this pedal for a year and a half. I kinda whish it had stopboxes where you could store effects so their their already for you, but I'm not too botherd. If this pedal was stolen/lost I'd go out and buy a new one straight away I love this pedal and so will you if you buy it! // 10

RP200A Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 01, 2004

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store

Ease of Use: The peadle is simple to use, but requires time to program it. The editing process is simple, and if you read the manual once it'll be enough. I think if you have one difficulty it would be that you need to create a logical order to your patches so you can scroll through them while you're playing. The thing is that you scroll through the patches in the order you place them in, so let's say you want to get from one to another in a song you need to keep them as patch 3 then patch 4 or 2 for example so you can get to it without activating others. Get it? For a performer it could be risky, but for small crowds it's fine. // 8

Sound: I'm running a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, a Boss DS-2 a hendrix wah and the RP200A through a beringher amp, can't remember the model. I keep the amp on clean and the sound before I got the peadle was incredible. Now that I've added the RP200A to the to chain I've noticed that it lowers the crispness of the sound, to compensate I increase the tone knobs on the guitar and the DS-2. The signal is boosted, I can tell, even when it's bypassed that there is a change in my sound. It's really small, my friends can't hear it, maybe it's just me. But the rp will have a tiny effect on your sound, but then again so will adding most effects. The big problem with this peadle is that all the artist presets, the whole point of the A in RP200A, are terrible. I didn't think any sounded like the actual artists. Some could be useful for other songs, but I'd probably create my own effect if I was going to cover that band. The presents on the DigiTech sound community are free and much much better, it's a great place to start looking for real presets. They have an excellent copy of the "insane amp" from Line 6. I've set the expression peadle to control the gain (you can do that, it's a really great tool) so I can go from slightly distorted to bone crunching master of puppet sound. I still rely on my ds-2 to play GnR songs, but that's only because I already have a deadly set up for that, but I'm sure you can find one on the rp. The "effects" of the rp are acceptable, there are also many modeling tools like delay, reverb amp models, those are all to notch, but the effects, like phaser flanger wah termolo ya ya auto ya ya etc, are not performance quality, you can use a little to modify the sound, but they aren't even close the the actually stomp boxes. But all the other effects especially the delay is well worth it. You can control the delay time or the amount of reverb with the expression peadle in real time while playing, it's definately a huge advantage over the stomp box. I was dissapointed with the Whammy, maybe you'll like it, but I thought it wasn't as realistic as they claim. It's useable on clean tone but it's ovbiously cheesy on distorted patches. Count on this peadle for amp modeling, delay, reverb and an excellent noise gate, not for all the wacky effects. Two other usefull tools are cabinet/mic modeling and pickup selector, the Pick up selector can make a HB sound like a Scoil. I was impressed, the difference is noticable. The mic modeling is cool too, but I don't feel like explaining, it. The compressor and noise gate are very flexible boasting variable compressor response time, and total control over the noise gate, even the ability to swell the sound in and out when the gate is activated. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The peadle is solid and heavy, because of it's metal base, this means no slipping and sliding. Just remember the plugs are in the back so you can't use "jumper cables" get at least a half foot wire to hook it up. I think it'll last, plus I got a one year warranty from steve's. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall? This peadle is worth a spot in your chain, the distortion is great if you sit down and program it. You'll be on your knees programming it. The effects are acceptable but the other tools are great. The expression peadle is useful beyond imagination. You can set it to almost any variable. You can name your own presets on the 6 digit screen and you can laugh at the pathetic presets. One thing I'd have like to know is that the presets it comes with are useless. If it were lost or stolen blah blah blah kick his ass and all. Actually I would prabably buy are really sick line six amp, just to see the difference and all. If you were thinking about buying this peadle it's well worth it over the Zoom equivalents, but dont set your heart on getting an exceptionel auto ya ya effect. Take my advice, read the book, then go to the DigiTech sound community and get a headstart on some real presets. // 10

RP200A Reviewed by: iamhighonchrist, on september 25, 2005

Purchased from: Victor Litz Guitar Store

Ease of Use: This pedal is really easy to use. It has some band effects pre-programmed into it. It is really easy to make you own effects on this pedal. The manual for this pedal is as good as they come. I lost mine but I easily downloaded another one from the internet. Very easy to read and it explains alot. My pedal hasn't been upgraded and I'm not sure you can. // 8

Sound: I have a Washburn guitar and a Roland amplifier and it sounds awesome with them. It is kinda noisy on some settings but only on the settings I made myself. Some of the effects are weak but most of them are awesome. I get alot of effects from my favorite artists like Metallica (James' clean version), Metallica (Kirk's distorted version), Van-Halen(Phase 90 effect), Incubus (the chorus and distorted), and many, many more.. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The reliability on this pedal is amazing. I would be more worried about my guitar messing up than the pedal. I would definitley use this pedal on one of my gigs without a backup if I could just score one (a gig). // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play the old stuff. Metallica, Nirvana, GN'R, AC/DC, Van-halen and much more. But I also play some of the newer stuff. Three Doors Down, Green Day, Relient K, Hawk Nelson and it fits both of those catigories equally. I have been playing guitar for 4 years in febuary. I own lots of other stuff and I rally didn't ask a whole lot of questions before I bought it and I dont regret it. If it got stolen I prolly couldn't afford to replace it. I love everything about it except the fact that the effects repeat after 40 or so. I compared it to alot of stomp boxes but not alot of multi effect ones. As far as I'm concerned I didn't really need to. The only thing I wish it had was better drum effects. // 7

RP200A Reviewed by: Samzawadi, on april 11, 2007

Ease of Use: The Matrix setup for this unit is very easy to understand and use, with three knobs to alter settings rather than a complex set of menus. There's 80 presets on it (the box claims 120, but 40 of these are duplicates that you can change) and you can get a good range of sounds without making any changes at all. With some work, I've been able to get the exact sounds I want out of it. The manual is available online and also comes with the pedal, which is handy. It is detailed and gives precise descriptions of what each setting does, what the presets are, and what each effect is (important, because some of them are DigiTech effects). // 7

Sound: I'm using a cheap Kramer strat copy with single coils and a Laney HCM30 amp with this pedal, which probably isn't the best combination, but I can still get some good sounds out of it. One area where this does have a problem is the alleged 'pickup simulator'. It claims that a single coil can be made to sound like a humbucker, and vice versa. A mate of mine plugged his Epiphone Les Paul into it, and we couldn't see any change when we tried to make it sound like a single coil. The noise gate is very good, however-no noise at all from the guitar when I'm not playing. There's a whole load of effects on this, and I'm not going to try and describe all of them. There are a couple that are particularly good, though. The cabinet simulator can create a massively different sound and is an important feature in getting the sound you want. The wah pedal is also quite good, offering Cry (an ordinary Wah), Boutique (with a larger range) and Full (which sweeps all audible frequencies, and sounds rather unpleasant). The pedal itself isn't perfect-it's difficult sometimes to move it precisely-but it's not at all bad, either. The amp models it offers are somewhat weak at times, and tend to sound digital rather than actual. The acoustic guitar model... well, it's not bad, but it's definitely not an acoustic. Best thing to do is to treat it as a separate sound, rather than as an acoustic guitar synth. This pedal is not suited to black, thrash, death or heavy metal. At high levels I find the distortion to be unrealistic and obviously digital. It can give out a good crunch, though, and it does a suprisingly good Judas Priest sound (hardly suprising, as Glenn Tipton created two of the presets). It can do a nice classic rock sound, AC/DC style, and nice clean sounds even up to high volumes, but I've failed to get a realistic Metallica sound. The reverb is OK, basically, but nothing special. It can simulate a range of environments, but not particularly brilliantly. This is a real shame, and could definitely have been done better. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very solid, with a metal body and a tough expression pedal. The up/down switches are also reliable, and can be depended on. I wouldn't do any sort of large gig without a backup (that's just stupid, even with the best gear) but I can't see it breaking on me unless I put my foot through the display panel. It's been kicked, trodden on, dropped, and abused somewhat, and I trust it considerably. I just wish they gave a longer power chord-it's annoyingly easy to trip over. // 8

Overall Impression: I tend to play classic rock, hard rock, a bit of metal and some soft rock, and can normally get the tone I want out of this. It's not a Marshall stack, a wah pedal or a cabinet, but it can simulate all of them well enough for me. I've been playing about a year now, and am starting to create my own stuff, and this is definitely useful for choosing your own signature sound. A lot of the effects, and particularly the effects presets, seem rather odd and not really useable, but given how easy it is to make your own this isn't a problem. I wish I'd realised when I bought it that you get one effect at a time (in addition to the compressor, delay, reverb and wah), as I thought I could, say, combine chorus and flanger. This is somewhat of an annoyance, but hey. If this was lost or stolen I'd probably buy another one-it was very cheap for what it can do. My favourite feature is probably the massive delay you can get, or the wah. I compared it to the X-Vamp, a V-Amp 2, and the Line 6 POD, and this won on the range of effects and price. The only thing I wish it had was a way to combine more effects at the same time, particularly chorus with other effects. // 7

RP200A Reviewed by: guitarfan93, on december 28, 2005

Ease of Use: This pedal is great for creating your "signature" tone. Very easy to go through effects and adjust. The manual is okay but I really did not use it all that much because there was not too much complicated stuff to it. // 8

Sound: I play through it with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom then into a Fender FM212R amplifier. It really makes the amp alot better. It wouldnt work on some effects on my small sucky little squier amp. Some effects just take some tweaking like the the slider effect. It has a slight detune effect added on to it which I always take off and it sounds a hell of alot better. I found the artist presets to be of people I had never heard of before. So check what artist presets youwant on this before. Also people tell me theres a forum devoted to people sharing there own custom made effects with this and I have yet to find it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can definetly depend on it not to break but if I was at a gig using this I woul only want to use one effect because changing through effects is definetly annoying. It makes a half a second silence which really sucks. I would most likely only use single effect pedals at a gig. // 6

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, alternative rock, blues, and a smidgeon of pop punk. It fits everything but classic rock which is really dissapointing but that why you can make effects. // 7

RP200A Reviewed by: rockownsyou, on august 08, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Center Rockville

Ease of Use: This pedal is extremly easy to use. I myself am nowhere near a technical wizard, and this thing was very easy for me to use. On most multi-effect pedals the editing part is what I struggle with. The editing feature on this particular pedal is very easy to use and also very easy to get the sound you want out of it. Even though the pedal itself is very self-explanitory, the manual also helped me out alot. I find myself using the manual a lot for seeing what artist presets are on it and where they are. It is very helpful for that. My pedal has not been upgraded at all and I don't think it needs to be. // 10

Sound: I use mine with a Roland Cube 15 amp. Very tiny I know. But I use the pedal with a drummer and you can hear it fine over HIM. The only settings this pedal is noisy on are the ones me myself created. It gets alittle bassy on one of the Incubus settings only if you turn it up really loud. Most of these effects sound great. Altho some, like the angus settting are just not beefy enough for me. I get a lot of various artist sounds out of this pedal. For instance I can get Metallica, Incubus(already on there), GN'R, AC/DC, Korn, Def Leppard, The Darkness and many, many more. My favorite distortion setting to use is probably number 118 (sorry don't know the name). I use it a lot for mic'd blues recordings. My favorite chorus setting is the Incubus 2. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The durablility of this pedal is astounding. Any other pedal wouldn't be able to put up with the abuse that I put this pedal through and yet it sounds as good now as that fateful day that I bought it. I would definitely use this pedal on a gig without a backup. I'd be more worried about my little itty bitty amp not being able to be heard rather than this thing messing up. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play heavy metal but I also play a lot of blues and this pedal fits both of those categories perfectly. I also like to play jazz and that works as well. I have been playing electric guitar for three years and acoustic for five. I also own a Wasburn acoustic/electric (it also sounds amazing with that), a Washburn Idol series electric, and an Ibanez RG2EX1 electric. I didn't ask a lot of questions before I bought this pedal and I don't regret not doing that. If it where stolen number one, it would not be stolen. Number two, I would chase the guy Who stole it down and beat HIM down with a baseball bat. I love everything about this pedal. I would have to say my favorite feature of this pedal is the expression pedal. You get such a wide range of sound out of that expression pedal. The only thing I hate about this pedal is that I don't have two of them. I compared it to a lot of artist pedals like the Scott Ian, Dan Donegan, Eddie Van Halen, the list goes on. But this one stook out to me because of the varying range of sounds that come out of this one pedal. The only thing that I wish this pedal had was lips so I could kiss it. // 10

RP200A Reviewed by: RJMan, on august 28, 2006

Purchased from: Systems by Trail

Ease of Use: I was a bit intimidated when I purchased this pedal used and it had so many different options. I had never used a multi effects pedal before so I did not know what to look for in a pedal. The effects are extremely easy to access and control, and you can set parameters for each effect you are using with the expression pedal. I only use a few effects out of the whole bundle because many of them are useless and virtually impossible to use in a song. This pedal is great for the travelling guitarist because you can play straight through headphones if you are going somewhere where it isn't possible to bring your amp. I didn't bother reading the manual because the pedal is pretty self explanatory when you start using it. Also the bypass/ tuner mode is handy because if you can control the volume in tuner mode and tune while you play or tune silently. This works well since I use my amplifier's distortion. // 10

Sound: I run this pedal through a Line 6 stack and a Washburn custom idol. If you want some advice, don't use this pedal as a distortion pedal. I have all my user presets set to the clean channel at about 35 for a distortion level just to add some bite and high end my amp's distortion. Whatever you've heard about this pedal not being a good choice for metalheads, it's all true, depending on what context you use this pedal in and what type of amp you have. The pedal's onboard distortion sounds terrible, so bypass that and use your amps distortion. I bought this pedal for the effects, not the distortion. The wah sounds very good if you take about 30 points off the wah's top end because the forward half of the expression pedal's range of motion is useless on each wah format. You can change this under the setting for the expression pedal. If you do plan on using the pedal for it's distortion, either run it through a PA system or some speakers, or your amp's stereo input or mp3 input. Just use anything but your amp's clean channel because it sounds terrible with this pedal. People try this pedal out once and they immediately decide it sounds like shit so they just quit. If you use it properly and experiment, it can sound beautiful for metalheads and blues players alike. Also, be sure to add some chorus on setting 1 for depth and setting 99 for level because it makes tour sound 3 dimensional instead of flat. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can and have gigged with this pedal wihtout a backup. I have had this pedal for a couple years now and it was already used when I bought it and it still works fine but I wish it had a power switch instead of having to unplug it every time. It's built very solidly and with some carefulness and some minor maintenence such as greasing the expression pedal's Axl, it can run extremely smoothly for years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different types of music, such as metal, blues, classical, classic rock etc and this pedal satisfies my needs for all genres. I have been playing for three years on electric and some time before that on acoustic. This pedal does not work well with an acoustic guitar but then again for acoustic I prefer all natural tone. If it were stolen, I would buy something else but I'm already thinking about buying something else anyway. I would go for a more complex unit such as the DigiTech GNX4 or the Line 6 POD floor. The one thing I would change about this pedal is that it needs a harmonizer instead of pitch shifter but now I'm just being greedy I guess. // 9

RP200A Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 26, 2006

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: Very easy. Some super cool programs. Editing is also very easy, simply select, edit and save. You don't really need the manual. It is very self explanatory. There is a manual for it, and it seems okay. I am unaware of the firmware upgrade. Maybe that'll make things better. See below for laments in the "reliability" section. // 8

Sound: I use it with my Les Paul Voodoo, Dean (dimebag), and Jackson Fusion USA, plugged straight into a Mesa Boogie Strategy 400. Like previosuly stated, there are some really great sounds, but I didn't like any of the distorion patches. There is no match for Mesa Boogie distortion, so I use only the effects. The problem there is remembering to only use the user editable presets, or you really get a squeal! // 6

Reliability & Durability: Unfortunately, you cannot depend on ity at all. This I found out a couple months after getting it. this model has an inherent issue (if you don't believe me, check around online, and read all the complaints). The issue is, it all of a sudden loses functionality in half of the programs and you have to run it through the "factory reset" procedure multiple times until it recovers. Very annoying. What's the matter with companies nowadays? Aren't they held responsible for their product anymore? I think DigiTech should have ot replace every unti with the correct version at their cost. // 2

Overall Impression: I'd say it gets a solid "5". DigiTech has always come out with great sounding effects and a good price. Of course, if you buy the higher priced ones, you get a much better unit. For what this is for and what you pay for it, it is awesome. If this message is not clear enough, this unit is for bedroom musicians, not for guitarists in a working band. // 5

RP200A Reviewed by: oddbod92, on january 15, 2007

Purchased from: Reidy's

Ease of Use: The customisation of effects is really simple, all you need to do is just press a button and you can scroll through different effects and add them. The manual shows detailed description of each individual effect and explains how to use the pedal. It's easy to change between effects using the up and down foot pedals, and the expression pedal can easily alter effects amount and other things. // 9

Sound: I use a Fender Squier Strat with a Frontman 15G amp and just these produce a pretty basic soun, but as soon as the pedal is introduced with even the amp modelling effect, it greatly improves it. The pedal doesn't get completley distorted in the sense that no note can be heard and the effects are superb quality. It comes with 40 customisable effects, 40 artist presets from the likes of Incubus, Nickleback, Iron Maiden and Judas Preist (to name but a few) and 40 standard presets. The effects can be added as little or as much as you like and the quality of them is extrememly good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had it since Christmas, so not that long, but I have never had a problem with it. Customising the first 40 means you can set it up in sequence as required for songs. I'd use it at a gig because you set your own effects and when they're in order, all you need to do is hit the foot switch (up or down) to alternate. The 'expression pedal' can be set to raise or lower the effects amount, gain etc. so even with one effect, it can be used as many. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing about 4 years and I play mostly indie and rock (Muse, Kasabian, the Fratellis, Oasis, the Seahorses etc.) and the RP200A is suited for just about all of these. It even has acoustic guitar modelling, so your electric guitar sounds jsut like an acoustic, and you can add things like reverb to it, to enhance it further. I would buy this again, but I'd consider the models above (RP300A, RP400x) before hand. I looked at the RP200, RP150 and the RP80 before I chose this, so it wasn't the first idea, but out of the ones I looked at, this was by far the better. // 9

RP200A Reviewed by: rykoff sexton, on february 05, 2007

Purchased from: Craigslist S.D.

Ease of Use: The preset tones offer a huge variety, to get a truly great sound, you need to know how to manipulate the EQ's and effects. Knowing what sound you want exactly this thing can do. Amazing brilliant cleans, great souinding rock overdrive, or piercing metal distortion. I use primarily 5 different setting that I made originally or built upon a factory preset. You can actually rename any of the 40 programmable effects for quick reference. // 7

Sound: I have a PRS CE 24, so that gives anything great tone, but have also used a crummy Gretsch electric, Fender Fat Strat, Ibanez RG models, and an Epihpone Les Paul. Amps I use are a Carvin V3, Crate GLX 1200. The sound is consistent. The guitar obviously contributes to the deviation of the overall tone, but the RP 200a picks up a lot of slack. The delay settings are ioncredible, the amp modeling is great to. I am not a huge effects fan as far as detune, flanger, phaser, etc. but this allows you to really get creative, and sometimes when you need an extra effect on the recording, this can do the trick. I really go for a Moving Pictures Alex Lifeson tone, big lush distortion that is crisp, so I have a few settings of my own I use. Another big point is how much extra volume the pedal gave me. I can pretty much out blast my band mates Mesa Dual with this going through my V3, and not sacrifice any hum or annoying signal. The compressors are a really handy feature to use in between songs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The frame is very sturdy. I have droped some heavier equipment on it and it has come away comsemtically unharmed. Make sure you use the right power adaptor or else you will get no sound. So far the RP200A has nopt let me down. However I must advocate the poor inefficeincy of the DigiTech Customer Service Department in Utah. I am not impressed at all, it is almost as bad as AT&T, which is why I took points off in this section. // 7

Overall Impression: I play rock, metal, and blues. The RP200A is very versatile. I ahve stated the gear and equipment I priamrily use, and practice about 2-3 hours a day. I bought this unit origianlly for silent practice in the wee hours of morning because it has a 3.5mm headphone input. Abnother cool feature is the headphone to headphone capability, so you can use an iPod to play along with your tunes or a backing track. The drum Machine has several different settings, mostly in 4/4, but they beat the hell out of the monotonous click of a quartz metronome. If stolen I would honestly buy a GNX 4 because it is the latest model, and has a USB interface. I am a converted DigiTech enhusiast now. // 9

RP200A Reviewed by: SBLAKELEY, on april 12, 2007

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal a couple of months ago. I heard some good reviews about how easy it is to use. When I bought it I was eager to get home and try out the pedal, which is what I did. The Pedal is very easy to use. You can add effects, change the amp model, add compressor etc simply by using the 3 knobs. I think it is very easy to get a good sound out this pedal because of how easy the pedal is to use. It came with a manual, but I have hardly read the thing to be honest. It is simple to understand, but using the peal is self explanatory really. // 8

Sound: I'm using the RP200A with a cheap Shine strat and a Washburn Baddog amplifier. The pedal is not at all noisy and can cut out any excess noise from your leads or amp by using the very handy sound gate. Some of the effects in the pedal lack a bit of depth and some are just completely pointless. The wah is probably the best effect and the expression pedal helps you to create the type of wah that you want. It has a series of amp models that are modeled on some of the worlds best modern and Vintage amps. The one that stands out to me is the Rectify setting. This model is based on the Messa Boogie Dual Rectifier and is perfect for the type of music that I play. The RP200A includes some signature settings of some of the worlds artists. Some are really useless, but there are a few good ones like the Dave Murray (Iron Maiden) settings and the Glen Drover (Megadeth) settings. I usually use this pedal to create the guitar sounds used in some of the songs I play in my band. Like the sound for Trivium can be made by using the Rectify samp model. The only one problem with the sound of the pedal is that some of the distortion settings sound a bit to "digital". // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is like a brick! It has been bashed around already and I have only had it a couple of months. I think I can depend on my pedal to do the job for years to come. It works very well at gigs and I have taken it to gigs without bringing any backup. The only thing is that I am worried about the expression pedal becoming worn at the joint, because it is already starting to creak. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a lot of heavy metal and metalcore and I think this pedal is a good match, if you use the right settings with it. I have been playing just over 1 and a half years now and I own a crappy Shine strat and a Washburn Baddog, and I am saving up for a Gibson Les Paul. If this pedal was lost or stolen, I would defiantly consider getting another one, as it is a cheap pedal that does it's job very well. I like how the pedal is versatile and can be used for many different genres of music. The acoustic guitar simulator adds a good touch to the pedal and helps you to create a gentler sound when needed. When I bought the pedal, I was considering buying a Line 6 POD or a Zoom. After trying out the RP200A, I decided that I liked it and it fit my style better than the Zoom or the Line 6. The only thing I wish this pedal had is a USB connection on it so that you would be able to create patches fro it. Overall this is a good pedal for the money I payed for it. // 9

RP200A Reviewed by: Korzack, on june 25, 2007

Purchased from: No idea

Ease of Use: Even though it came without a manual, the ease of which I could get at Everything was quite impressive. when trying to create new modes, it doesn't bombard you with too much at once (Even if the wah mode is broken for making your own, but the one built in rocks nicely enough) 80 different modes, 120 in total (the 40 'artist' ones are repeated again so you've got a little space you make your own & not compromise anything), there's pretty much everything there, death metal to jazz is covered. Okay, most of the special artist modes are Just a touch shite (only the Acey Slade, Murderdolls and now Trashlight Vision, sounds anything close to their actual sound, but they sound okay on their own), also with a built in drum machine, which is handy, but it does get annoying after 10 minutes or so. // 9

Sound: The first thing I learned with this is that you keep it on the clean channel - the slightest bit of Overdrive means it kicks in the biggest amount of white noise & feedback possible. Migraine-worthy. Also, you need some volume with this, because it tends to cut out a bit when the guitar is at low volume (although I've had no problems with my Epi les paul, so I blame the Peavey Raptor). Creates a little extra noise, nothing much though. Whilst they may not be exactly right, the modes it has usually do get you 90% of the way, which is always handy. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I did try to use it at a gig once, but it managed to interfere with the PA for some reason, when the only sockets it shared with the PA were the main power supplies, so it's not a gig-reliable piece of it. Well, not with cheap & shit PA, anyways. I would suppose it'd be dead handy to have at a gig, If you had it all preset before-hand & knew precisely what you were doing with it. It's just so easy to trip up over little things that an beginner-average player with little knowledge of these things can overlook or forget about. // 6

Overall Impression: So far as stealing is concerned, if I hear then, I'd use this because it' die-cast metal & sharp corners, so it's a case of bang! and they're now unconscious. To be fair, I've been put off multi-effect pedals with this, as it makes my guitar feel like a cheap school keyboard, and also removes a lot of the feeling of skill out of it, the old 'Why bother getting this part 100% when I can get somewhere close & throw some random effects over it' deal. In fairness, in the future, I'll buy the single pedals, got 4 in mind as it is (Marshall Bluesbreaker, Guv'nor, jackhammer and Dunlop Crybaby Slash signiature). // 6

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Drop 8.2 Guitar Effects 09/26/2014