RP250 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 06/01/2012 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RP250
Introducing modeling guitar processors that Rock the Planet with tone that has to heard to be believed. Tone that deserves to be heard on stage and in the studio.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Ease of Use: 8.6
 7.7
 8.6
 6.8
reviews (19) pictures (2) 53 comments vote for this gear:
RP250 Reviewed by: dankhus, on july 02, 2007

Purchased from: Guitarshop.ro

Ease of Use: My version of the DigiTech RP250 came with the 1.9 firmware update included, so I cannot refer to earlier versions in my review. It is pretty easy to use and you'll the hang of it in 10 minutes maximum, the manual being very helpful. Now, I've had problems with connecting this model to my PC, and I haven't succeeded in doing so yet. The drivers refuse to work and my PC cannot recognize the attached device. I think the problem lies in the fact that I don't have SP2 installed on my version of Windows XP (as specified in the Minimum Requirements), but that's really not an excuse for DigiTech. If it weren't for this problem, it would have probably received a 10 from me. All in all, just a 7. // 7

Sound: I am using this effects processor with a Stagg L400 (great guitar) and a Roland Cube 15x (probably the best practice amp ever) and I am quite satisfied with the sound I can get out of this setup. First of all, the DigiTech RP250 comes with 30 tones presets and 30 effects chains, but it would be a good idea to take the time to fine tune the sound you get out of it. For example, just adjusting the tone you use with a preset can greatly change the sound and deliver different results. Secondly, do NOT rely on this baby for all your distortion needs. I mean it. Although some effects are decent and some even more than satisfying, most of the time you'll end up with a terrible distortion effect (the DigiTech RP250 has the tendency of using too much gain with the distortion), but that doesn't affect me very much, since my amp can supply all the distortion I need. Finally, you must know that regardless of your musical style, this unit can produce the sound you are looking for with a little effort and that makes it probably the best choice for its price. // 10

Reliability & Durability: If it's that great, why not 10? What made me give it just a 9? Well, let's just say that it's rather tricky to bypass this processor (since you must push the both footswitches at once) and if your first attempt at doing so fails, then you are probably going to mess up because the selected preset will be random. Other than that. The expression pedal is great, although when you push it a little harder it sometimes activates the wah effect, which can be quite frustrating. All things considered, it's both reliable and durable (it's made out of metal). // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing seriously for about 9 months or so and I mostly stick to punk and Grunge and alternative and I really don't want to try anything else, because I enjoy what I play and this DigiTech RP250 has been really helpful (the whammy effect allowed me to play some Tom Morello solos, the acoustic guitar emulator has really made me dump my old acoustic guitar). If it were to be stolen/lost I would probably jump off a bridge. And if I survive, then I'll save money for it but it again. I was thinking of buying either this DigiTech RP250 or a Zoom G2.1u, but I'm happy with my decision. Overall, this is the best thing you can buy in this price range! // 10

RP250 Reviewed by: divinorum69, on november 04, 2008

Purchased from: GuitarCenter

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, I never felt compelled to use the users manual to learn about anything. The only trouble I had at first was using it's USB features, but at DigiTech.com you can get all the info you need, very easy from there on. The X-Edit Software, which you can use to edit your effects from the computer is truly handy, and very easy to use which makes the DigiTech RP250 very user friendly. Adding custom patches found on the web could not have been more easy, just click on the patch you downloaded and X-edit software opens up and it loads onto your device the new patch. Recording through the usb device is quite easy. Just download drivers for the RP250 from DigiTech's website and load up your favorite software. I mainly use Mixcraft 4 and Audacity which autmatically detetect your device and once you press record everything you play is detetected. // 9

Sound: Sound is great. Solid state or Tube Amps sound similar when hooked up with a DigiTech RP250, which maybe good or bad. Guitar wise, they all sound very similar connected to this device since it is an digital procesor. But different type of pickups truly get noticed. Cant say that distortions here are top of the line, but you can get some great sounds. Reverbs, choruses, and delays are top of the line. The Lexicon chip is great, truly gives those effects a vibing tone. For the price this is awesome, I've used it Live lots of times, and I've never been dissapointed. You can go from Van Halen tone to Ritchie blackmore to Angus Young to Wes Montgomery in just one flick of the pedal. As always if you spend enough time fiddling around with settings you can get much better tones than factory ones. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on this. I've used it on gigs, I've never had a failure or so. Watch out though, it does not use battery only power source, so this can be troublesome if you do not have a power source nearby. But since your almost always near the amp you use it's never really a problem. The only thing I had trouble with was the power adapter, it broke but it was my fault because I did not store it in a proper place. If this happens to You be sure to get the same amper and voltatge power source if not you will get feedback. // 10

Overall Impression: This is good for all kinds of music. If it were lost I would get another one, but probably somthing bigger, but DigiTech never the less. My favorite feature is the stomp wah Switch, add wah to any effect just by pressing harder on the expresion pedal. Overall worth it's money, go for it if you are considering it. // 9

RP250 Reviewed by: jackson guitars, on may 07, 2007

Purchased from: 53rd street music

Ease of Use: Very easy to a good sound out of it, took me 10 seconds to set up and play. I havn't explored the editing features becouse you don't need to, the presents gets you started just fine. The manual is easy to follow. Explains everything in detail. If you loose oyur manual you can down load one at DigiTech.com, which is a great feature. My unit is stock out of the box. It is easy to get simple presents, but gets complicated when trying to use different amp and pedal models. // 9

Sound: I use a Jackson DX6 and a Ibanez RG470 guitars, plugged into a Peavey 212 transtube effect amp. The amp is silent. No buzzing or humming. Just the sounds I want to hear. The effects are strong and full of great tone. I can get the sound of my favorite artists easyliy. Ex. Audioslave, velvet revovler, RATM, Staind, and Finger Eleven. There are presents for songs like Metalica- enter sandman and Wolfmother Woman. Both those presents of perfect. Both songs sound like the real version. Distortion is great, you have the choice of using different pedels built into the system. // 10

Reliability & Durability: 60 presents, drum machine, distortion pedal options, amp models options, effects, delay reverb. you can use this system to test out some of it's built in pedal and amps. You can test out an amp before you buy it, or use it if you want to change to he sound of your own unit. // 9

Overall Impression: Greatest investment I have ever bought. Works great with my set up. Makes any amp or guitar sound top notch. Makes you sound professional. This system can play any style of musci. You can change settings and mix around effects to get the sound you want. This unit is compact, you wont need to buy another pedal ever. In one click you can from accustic to thrash metal. The greatest feature is the ability to change from humbucker pickups to single coil and single coil to humbucker with changing guitars, all in the machine. // 10

RP250 Reviewed by: Shredmaster42, on may 08, 2007

Ease of Use: The RP250 can produce nice sounds ranging from rectified high-gain tones to warm jazzy sounds. The RP250 comes with 60 user presets that can be customized to your liking, using the X Editor program that can be downloaded off the DigiTech website. The effects are pretty good for the price, and harmonics scream out of the amp regardless of what pickups you have! Although the instruction manual can be a good Tool to have sometimes. // 7

Sound: I run this into a Line 6 amp with a Jackson 7 string and the amp's celestion speaker produces a very warm but kinda tingy tone. There is a built in adjustable noise gate which takes all the noise out, and half of your sound! The clean settings become distorted at high volumes, so I would recommend this device for recording applications. A speaker emulator or mixer button is for direct recording without using a guitar amp, a nice feature to have. The effects sound pretty crazy (a good crazy) and produce all kinds of sounds that you would never think a guitar could do, there is even a bass guitar simulator! // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would not use this device for a show, but I would definately use it for recording. The die cast construction could survive a drop or two, but not a singer stepping on it. I don't like the way it turns on and off, there is no Switch, just pull the adapter out and it's off. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a very versitile effect processor, but with experience, is best suited for it's wicked classic rock and clean tones. The high-gain settings seem to be good only for solos (which I am not too much of a fan of) than heavy riffage. I love the compression models which can dramatically improve your pickup capabilities, and there are a ton of amp models to choose from which means a variety of sounds are availiable. I also love the warm clean tones for jazz which sound amazing at low volumes. I would not buy it again if it were stolen, I would rather spend the 100 bucks more and get a Line 6 Floor POD, but I am still impressed by DigiTech's new products. // 8

RP250 Reviewed by: spartan 118, on january 05, 2008

Ease of Use: I can say with confidence that this is the beastliest little pedal I have ever set my hands on. The interface is quite user friendly and doesn't take long at all to get the hang of. The manual can help you get acquainted really fast if you don't understand how to use it by just looking at it. There are many types of distortion to Pick from, effects, drums patterns, it's all here! // 9

Sound: I am running this bad boy through my Ibanez GAX70 and my Behringer GM-108. This thing produces no unwanted noise unless you have the pedal distortion over the amp distortion or the built-in noise gate is off. The effects are some of the best I've ever heard, and with the flick of a button or the turn of a knob, you can be at those effects, set the levels, the depth, regeneration; But it all depends what effect you use. There are over thirty built-in effects, my favorite being the Whammy. You can use the expression pedal on the side of the unit to control your Whammy dives and returns, or if diving doesn't float your boat, you can do reverse dives and go up to two octaves higher! It also has a nice Wah feature, and volume swelling, and if you really wanted to, you can turn effects on and off with your pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is where I started running into some trouble-spots. The expression pedal on the side broke after one week of use. Probably something with the electronics though. That's okay, I believe it's covered with DigiTech's warranty! I wouldn't gig without a backup, but I'm sure I wouldn't use anything without a backup. // 7

Overall Impression: I play metal, and this thing really gives me the high gain I need to bust out some killer riffs. It also provides shimmering clean tones, crunchy blues tones, and whatever other sound you could be looking for. You can seriously get any sound out of this. If it were lost/stolen, I would go cry in a corner for a few days. Then I would go buy a new one. I can seriously say that this pedal was a step in the right direction from those guys down at Salt Lake City. DigiTech's got another customer for life. // 9

RP250 Reviewed by: Mr.LeadGuitar, on march 10, 2008

Ease of Use: After 4 months, I believe that it's relatively easy to get a good sound out of the RP250 if you know what you are doing. It's somewhat complicated editing the presets without the X-Edit program (which you can download from the DigiTech website). Without X-Edit, you can't really use the pedal to it's fullest extent. The manual is okay, but does not really elaborate on the whole troubleshooting aspect of the pedal. I'm not even sure if you can update the firmware, or if mine has been updated. Overall, I do not recommend this pedal to beginners. // 6

Sound: I use the pedal with my Washburn Lyon Practice guitar, an Ibanez Tube Screamer 909 Overdrive, and a DigiTech DigiVerb Digital Reverb Pedal. I think that the distortion settings have a good volume, but the clean tones are quiet. The flanger effect can seem either too powerful or too weak at times. it is easy to get the sounds of artists like Van Halen and Ray Toro of My Chemical Romance. a lot of the settings used by artists are factory presets. One drawback I saw was that you can't use more than one major effect at a time, like if you wanted chorus and flanger at the same time. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can't really depend on it, because after a long period of use, it will normally freeze up upon starting it up again, Displaying random letters upon the screen. I would not use it without a gig bag, and probably wouldn't go without one anyway due to it's limited number off effects at a time. // 7

Overall Impression: I tend to play hard rock and alternative music, and must admit it does work well if it's working right. I've been playing for 3 years now, and it does work well. I kinda wish I had waited and saved more money, so I could get the next step up (RP350). If it were stolen, I wouldn't get a different pedal, because though there sre several drawbacks to this pedal, it still works for me (also, the insurance won't pay for a different pedal). I hate the limitation of effects at a time, like if you want chorus and IPS (a digital Harmony simulator) at the same time, you'd need a different pedal for one of those effects. I chose this pedal 'cause it fit my price range and seemed like the coolest shit at that time. I wish that it had more effect capabilities and less of a limitation on them. // 9

RP250 Reviewed by: davidarkzero, on march 29, 2008

Purchased from: Peru

Ease of Use: Get the sound that you want, maybe dissapointed, I recommend to read the manual first, and understand all the parameters before start to play. Despite that the pach edit was very easy, just move the knobs to get de sound that you want. The manual explains every function well, I don't think anyone has problems. The firmware version it's 1.9 and I hope that DigiTech release later versions. // 9

Sound: I have been waiting for this pedal for a long time, and I gonna say that the wait is worth it! this pedal sounds amazing, if you compare with my old Zoom5005II, the sound make a great jump of energy and cleaning. This pedal also includes a large variety of sounds that will be set using the X-EDIT software that you must download from DigiTech.com. I play mostly Metal, hardrock, progresive metal, alternative, etc, through an Ibanez GRG270, and sound nice for now, I'm planing to change this guitar in a future, but sound great for recording using the USB connection. The wah isn't very accurate, but I don't need so much. The distortions sounds great and you can eliminate the noisy while you aren't playing using the noise gate, the delays, chorus, etc are awesome too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't tried Live, but in the rehershals sound powerfull using a Marshall MG100, and till now, I think to use on a future gigs. The metal chasis, looks strong and it's a great feature, if you compare other pedals. I haven't tried Live, but in the rehershals sound powerfull using a Marshall MG100, and till now, I think to use on a future gigs. The metal chasis, looks strong and it's a great feature, if you compare other pedals. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal suits my style perfectly, the metal patches that I can edit, makes RP250 great for distortions. I have been playing for 5 years and I haven't change it for a long time. I love the size, the metal chasis, the construction of the wah pedal, the distortions, the FX, etc. Great pedal for 200 dolars. // 10

RP250 Reviewed by: cam_sampbell, on april 09, 2008

Ease of Use: The DigiTech RP250 looks pretty confusing when you first look at it, but 10 minutes and a quick look in the manual and you know all you need to know. Editing patches is made extremely easy as there is a double for each of the 60 presets so you can edit them and still have the original preset left if you decide to use it. The manual just basically tells you all you need to know which is useful but personally I worked it out mostly myself. But overall it is relatively easy to use as everything is in 1 place and it's easy to remember, also a bonus is to active the wah, you just have to press down on the pedal like an actual wah pedal. // 9

Sound: I use an Epiphone Gothic SG (I'm not a goth, it just looks cool) and a 65 watt Laney (I can't remember the actual name) and with tha it sounds brilliant. It has a noise reducer setting so even with the heaviest distortion from the different distortion pedals you can choose there is no feedback at all. This pedal is brilliant for getting sounds of artists as there are presets for AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, the sound on 'Enter Sandman' and 'Woman' and probably more that I've forgot, even if there isn't a preset for your chosen artist then it's pretty simple to make one with plenty of choices of amps, distortion pedals and even a choice between humbuckers or single-coil Pick-ups. There is a different choices of effects including flange, chorus, phaser, envelope filter, reverb etc so it is hundreds of pounds/whatever currency you use saved. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very reliable as nothing has gone wrong yet and probably never will, even though I've never gigged (I'm 13 so yeah) but if I did I would solely rely on this as my main equipment as it is built with a hard metal case which according to the review in Total Guitar (I didn't copy by the way, you can check) is 'Boot Proof' as it will withstand a lot as many a time I've dropped it and atill it remains undamaged. // 9

Overall Impression: I play classic rock/blues and it fits it perfectly as it would any genre including Death Metal, Indie, jazz and more as it has many different sounds. I have been playing since the start of 2006 and I bought this 7 months ago and it has been in my setup ever since. If it was stolen/lost I would definately save up and buy it again or even buy the more expensive model which has more features. The only thing I wish it had was more drum Machine options as the ones now have a lacking in cymbals and also a recording option would improve my already great liking for this piece of equipment. Overall a brilliant piece of my setup which has more things than I actually need which is a good thing. // 9

RP250 Reviewed by: Uhhhh...., on june 13, 2008

Ease of Use: Its really easy to get a good sound out of it. You just have to go through the options of sounds and effects the DigiTech has to find the ones you want. It has has four toggles if you will that has control over the tone library the effects library the effects level and the master level. you can edit each effect and it has a way for you to store what you've created and it's as eay as pressing a button on the Machine it self. It has drums that you can keep beat with. The manual is really detailed and easy to fall along with. It shows you basically how to use it. One thing I really like about the RP250 is that it's able to tune your guitar to however tuning yopu want either drop d or regular. Your going to need two cords to actually use this one from your guitar to your DigiTech and one from the DigiTech to the amp. // 8

Sound: I'm using this with my Ibanez guitar and just my practice amp. On Certain setting or effects it can get loud but you can just turn down the master volume it's really easy to fix the problem. All the effects sound good it just depends on the amp your using and the quality of your amp.I havn't really tried to get the sounds from the people I like I try to creat my own sounds to be better:). Certain effects again are a little louder than others but it's easy to fix. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've been using it for about 7 months and nothing is wrong with it it still works like new. I would use it without a backup great sound durible again I havn't found anything wrong with it so far. It's really reliable I depend on it whenever I use it nothing can be better. // 6

Overall Impression: I play punk and alternative. It helps because it gives a change to the music we play and makes it cooler. I've been playing for almost two years I own an Ibanez and a copley bass along with the DigiTech. I wouldn't have asked anything before I bought this product it's worth the money you pay for it. So it will pay for itself if you really play. If it was stolen I wouldn't really want to buy it again. it's good yeah but I really don't need it. I love all the effects that you can use tomake your guitar playing sound better and funner. I hate all the features that it has it's hard to choose from all of them. The tuning is my favorite feature I'm always out of tune so it helps alot. I didn't compare it to others products it just looked to be like a good product to use and it turned out to be worth it. it has everything that you will need. // 6

RP250 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2008

Price paid: A$ 350

Purchased from: Guitar Paradise

Ease of Use: This was one of my first pedals I bought. As a begining guitarist, I wanted something that could show me a large amount of what was out there in terms of effects. This was awesome. So many presets and the ability to save 60 of your own is good. For someone Who didn't know much about pedals this was easy to use right out of the box. Pretty straight forward to save your settings too. Manual is very comprehensive too. // 9

Sound: I used this with my Squier Strat and a little Fender Frontman amp. It sounded pretty decent, not too digital. But when I upgraded my amp (Line 6 Spider III 75), I found that the amp simulators sound a little too computerised if you know what I mean. The individual effects though work a treat if you use it like indivudual stompboxes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Not as sturdy as a Boss (tanks) but still solid. I only use it at home so I've got no real gigging experience but I have no issues. I am sure that it would last ages, although the knobs are getting a little loose when turning (not as much resistance when new). This is just because of use and don't see being a major problem. // 9

Overall Impression: I play good ol' fashioned rock 'n' roll and blues, but modern stuff too and it's pretty good. Like I said, I don't use the amp simulators because the Line 6 amp is pretty sweet sounding (digital too) but the effects are sweet. I really like the wah (although I'm a little heavy footed and hit the toe switch sometimes but I think you can calibrate that anyway). Overall this too me is a really good investment to anyone Who is starting too play and wants to investigate new sounds and effects. I've been playing for 4 years now and still love it (especially the AC'DC preset). Damn sweet multi effects unit if you ask me. // 9

RP250 Reviewed by: Fenderplayer93, on august 08, 2008

Purchased from: Hotlicks Guitar Shop

Ease of Use: The pedal is very easy to get a great sound out of. All you need to do to change the preset is push down on one of the foot switches, until your desired preset is on the display. The manual made it very easy to understand the editing of presets. There is 2 little arrows to go through your Pickups, Distortion, Amps, FXs, etc. And then you can use the 4 knobs to change the level, style, almost anything. After about 10-20 minutes you will have this pedal down, and making your own presets to play. Just remember to press the Store button before you change your presets, or everything will go back to the previous settings. // 10

Sound: I am using a Squier Strat, or Charvel, through a Fender Stage 1000. I am at 1 on my volume, and all my EQ's on the amp are at 5, since the pedal takes care of them. The effects are just phenominal. I really liked the flanger. I am working on getting the perfect tones of my favorite guitarist, SRV, EVH, etc. I have almost got Panama by Van Halen perfect. There is just so much to mess with on the pedal! I am not big on the high end chorus, so I was very happy when I saw that you can have the freedom to change the speed, and level of the chorus effect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is very durable. I like how the steel on the sides are a dark gray/charcoal color. The footswitches are plastic, but can be messed with, they are very secure, and aren't going anywhere. I would use this to gig, but I'm not planning on that for a while. Only staying and playing until I get a little better, only 15 & teaching myself. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music from the blues to heavy metal. This pedal can match them all. I have only been playing for about 2 years. I have a lot of gear. I have a Squier bass, 2 Squier Strats to play (One of them are my bro's, never plays it), a Charvel, a Pearl Drum set, Fender G-DEC, Fender Stage 1000, all beginner materials. I really considered buying a new guitar, but this wasn't going to put a big hole in my wallet. I really love how you can edit the presets with ease, and the effects, and noise gates are just amazing. My favorite feature of the pedal is definately the noise gate. I do wish it would have came with the 2-in/2-out USB cable. You need to purchase one in order to plug it into your Mac, or PC. Other than that, this was a great item to get your hands on, especially if money is tight. // 9

RP250 Reviewed by: ItsJustSound, on october 21, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use, if you know what you are doing. It comes with an extensive manual. The controls; two footswitches, a wah pedal, four volume-like knobs, and four small buttons are labeled and easy to understand even without the grace of an awesome manual. Any idiot could skim through presets and Pick one they like, and creating your own sounds isn't tough, either. You just go to a preset that you think may help model yours, and change the Pickup selection, Wah, Compressor, Distortion, Amplifier, Equalizer, Noise Gate, Chorus/FX, Delay, Reverb, and Expression pedal to on, off, or whatever setting you'd like, choose a name and number for your setting (knocking the over-written preset up sixty numbers) and rock n roll. It may seem complicated now, but it's simple enough when you get it. My only problem was, when I was creating my own settings, I would accidentally knock the footswitch and, not only lose my own setting, but drastically change the preset it was modeled on. This happened several times after I had just bought it, and I had to reset the pedal memory several times as to not ruin anything. Through this I learned it is possible to custom-set the wah pedal button level, from easy to push to a meteor's force to get it to change to Wah mode. // 9

Sound: Most of the effects on this pedal sound great, and it comes with a sick acoustic generator, as well as some preset effects. The presets range from "Mr. Clean" to "Killer", giving a well-paid-for amount of choices to start out with. A lot of the distortions they give you are crap, and some tend to have way too much gain. With careful fine-tuning, I created my own drives and distortions that are okay, but for the most part, I buy a distortion pedal seperately. If you want the effects and are low on money, (and your amp has particularly sucky gain, like mine) this pedal works, though. The effects were good enough, ranging from Rotary speakers to just Reverb. Wah sounds pretty good, although may be too much for solos like in "Hit the Lights" by Metallica, or any other songs that use wah to accent the guitar rather than create a different sound. The signature musician effects it comes with are: Stevie Ray Vaughan, AC/DC, Metallica (Labeled sandman), Hendrix, Led Zeppelin. Forgive me if I missed some, because that was a breif scan over the effects. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's made out of metal! It seems like I'd be able to do anything to it but drop it and dip it in water and have it still function. It's very sturdy, and seems well put together and easily protected against damage traveling, touring, or on stage. I have heard the footswitches will break after time, but it has yet to happen to me. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal was a good buy. I have it constantly hooked up to my guitar, (although for heavily distorted songs I use a Boss) and I have loved it since I bought it. I have yet to test out it's computer abilities and assume when I do I will be more pleased. It's a great buy for someone looking for a cheap multi-effects pedal, and surely has taken place in creating the sounds of the most famous guitarists today. I reccomend you buy one. // 9

RP250 Reviewed by: solofreak, on february 06, 2009

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty self explained it comes with a very reliable. Manual and it's really easy to get a good clean sound out of it. Editing is easy there are way to many effects to name it's all about creating a good sound I play metal so I usually set it to metal-2. And solo-1 with a delay and it's so freakin awesome you don't need to upgrade this. // 10

Sound: I'm using Gibson exployer, sg and the sound is so clean and it has amazing distortion it can be noisy but you can udjust the volume. The effect's are so amazingly sound great more than great a perfect tone in any style of music you can pretty much play any artist's songs and sound so good it comes with so many effect's there so freakin awesome the distortion, chorus, delay, flanger, phaser, etc it's the ultimate sound for an effect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can definetly depend on this product and playing in a gig with this is certanly to get you noticed you wouldn't need a backup the sound (omj) this product you can definetly rely on I would strongly recommend for you to purchase this product trust me it will not break or let you down. // 10

Overall Impression: The DigiTech RP250 is an awesome pedal effect and I would extremely recomended buying this it is really simple to use it can do any kind of effect your looking for it comes with 60 preset's and most of them are good probably 1-2 just doesn't do it for me it comes with a drum Machine an awesome wah effect and custimizing your sound is extremely easy I've been playing about 8-9 yrs no questions about buying this product I mostly play metal of all music related it's a perfect match. // 10

RP250 Reviewed by: MikeDPguitar, on february 09, 2009

Ease of Use: The DigiTech RP250 is very useful, yet very easy to figure out. It is really good for people Who play with a multitude of sounds (like a bandmember) Who wants to make their guitar lives a little bit easier. It is so easy to use and edit your sound, especially if you know anything about effects. You don't really need the manual, but don't throw it away, because if you ever get confused about something on the device, the manual can be used as a guideline. // 9

Sound: I have played this on a Squier Thinline Tele, but currently I use it with a 2001 Mexican Standard Strat, unmodified (I.e. I didn't replace the pickups, neck, bridge, etc.) The amp I use is a Behringer 15 watt solid state amp. The Pedal is noisy on settings with hard distortion (for example, the Ibanez Tube Screamer model) when the noise gate is off. The only real disappointment in the sound is that so far, I have not found a reverse delay setting. I can get the sound of any song, by any artist. I play a whole lot of Eric Johnson sounds, from Trademark to Cliffs of Dover, to Your Sweet Eyes and Manhattan and Song for George. I also made a good Steve Vai (Bad Horsie, For the Love of God) setting. The acoustic model is outstanding. On some models, the volume isn't all the way up, but this is easy to fix. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this effects unit because I have had no problems with it so far. I have used this at gigs with no problem what'soever, and will continue to not need a backup. It seems to be very well built, but I wouldn't purposefully bang it around. I always transport it in the original cardboard box, because it helps to prevent damage. // 10

Overall Impression: I play every type of music, and this effects pedal is for someone that plays diverse genres like me, although if you specialize in a certain style, that's fine too. I have played for a little over two years, and I used to own a Dunlop Crybaby Wah, an Ibanez Chorus/Flanger, and an Ibanez analog delay. Now those have been replaced by this unit. If this was stolen from me, I would get another one in a heartbeat. My favorite feature is the looper built in to the delay. I was going to get a Boss effects unit, but then I fell in love with this. I wish it had a reverse delay, but the volume swell feature makes up for this. I would recommend this to anyone Who wanted a great multi effects processor at an amazing price. // 9

RP250 Reviewed by: Vendetta V, on march 26, 2009

Purchased from: Guitarcenter

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal about half year ago. I was looking for a decent Multi FX pedal. Just because I play/write Acid/Psycho style. (I'd say any type of Rock) and also like doing loads of solos, I needed a pedal to cover all my needs I.e. Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger and so. I was first thinking of buying the RP-90. Well it sounds funny but why did I choose to pay additional 50 bux was only the metal case and USB connectivity (which I used only twice or so). Anywayz now I know the difference. It has got a Audio DNA 2 chip which sounds pretty good for my ears (I'm not against digital sound, if used well). The pedal had a manual (pretty useful one) which explained everything, but even without it, it ain hard to figure everything out It also comes with an adapter so you don't have to Rush to the nearest store to get batteries (No place for batteries though, it's a bit trouble but when thinking of how much batteries you'd need. // 10

Sound: The Effects are awesome. 11 at a time, you can assign any parameter to be controlled with the Expression pedal. It also has got a V-Switch so you just rock it forward and push a bit and it turns on the wah. There are also some unique effects like Ya Ya, Whammy, IPS and so Too bad they didn't include an auto wah. It also has got a good Noise Gate which makes everything un-noisy. That's one of my fav future. I use it with my Fender Strat and it sounds awesome to me from Mild to wild like they say. You just need a bit of tweaking to get the exact sound you want. Oh and another cool future is drum Machine. Pretty useful to develop your improvising technique Futures 60 awesome drum patterns (also a metronome). // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliability? Hmm well I'd depend on it without a backup on a stage actually I recommend always having a backup on stage, Who know what'll happen hmm the only real thing I'm worried about on stage is that some one will knock out the adapter out of mains. Otherwise it's really cool it also has got a tuner so you could tune whenever you want without any single note being produced aloud // 10

Overall Impression: Well like I said I play loads of different styles of Rock, I'm a pro songwriter and always want something new. Something good in it's exact place so I needed one with loads of effects. I also like using it with my Morley PWA before it. It's awesome. I'm completely happy with this purchase I'm planning now to buy the DS 1 pedal to put before the Wah (but not use at the same time with RP-250's distortions on), a volume pedal (I use volume pedal on RP almost always but want to assign another parameters to the Expression pedal) and a Booster to get more Squealing Harmonic Screams (just cause I'm on single coils). Overall I used this pedal every single day since I bought it and it Rocks. Rocks hard! The only thing I wish it had is a coffee maker to help me stay awaken during night tweaks and songwriting. Buy this if you're in same case as me. // 10

RP250 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2011

Purchased from: Strings and Things Music

Ease of Use: This baby is fairly intuitive. it comes with 60 stock presets and 60 programmable ones. The stock presets kinda stink, due to various reasons (really strong noise gate, shrill, fizzy, you know...) but luckily the pedal lets you do really deep editing really easily. Even the manual is simple and clear. I have to say, DigiTech did a great job in the user-friendliness area. // 8

Sound: The sound has its ups and downs. The stompboxes and modulation are fake sounding, obviously. the Wah is horrifying. On the up side, the cleans you can get out of this are astoundingly good, especially on the "acoustic" amp setting. Light to medium distorted tones are pretty mediocre sounding, occasionally shrill-sounding, but not often. However, when you get into heavy distortion, this pedal absolutely SUCKS.It's got this awful fizzyness to it, and it's near impossible to get, say, a tight metal sound, for instance. If you turn up the treble and mids just... a... little... bit... the fizziness and shrillness get much worse. The heavily distorted tones only sound good for maybe a really scooped tone or a powerpop/punk type sound. I'm giving this pedal a six for that reason. // 6

Reliability & Durability: After about two years with this product, the guitar input is falling apart, the headphone-out jack is basically broken, and the left switch-button refuses to respond to presses. I would not trust this thing to hold up at a live gig. No question. I wouldn't even bring it to a gig- period. // 3

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for three and a half years, and I play everything from old-school jazz to Satch-type rock to death metal. I own this, a Peavey Rage 158, a Fender Mustang I, a DigiTech JamMan Solo, an Ibanez ART100, a BC Rich Mockingbird, a heavily modified "ROKAXE" walmart guitar, an Alvarez Regent (acoustic), a beat-up Disney Camp Rock guitar I got for $15, and two no-name classical acoustics. I have played countless other guitars and amps, ranging from First Acts and Squiers to Ibanez Prestiges and $2000 Schecters, and amps going from $20 Danelectros to top end Oranges and Marshalls. Needless to say, I know good gear from bad gear. The RP250= fairly mediocre to bad. Fizzy distortion, scratchy jacks, unusable footswitches, and a really shrill Wah make this thing less than desirable. If this were stolen or lost, I'd be really mad, as it was pretty expensive and I'm just now, after 2 years of it, starting to get nice tone from it, but I wouldn't buy a new one. Just face it: it's a cheap modeling pedal. If you're on a budget, get a Fender Mustang I and a wah, and you can do the same amount of stuff for about the same price, and you'll get much better tone. // 5

RP250 Reviewed by: d0nt3ma1lm3, on august 12, 2011

Ease of Use: This multi effect is extremely easy to use. The manual give great explanations and is very necessary. Soon after I purchased it, I ended up just putting it aside because I didn't really understand how to use it or how much it can be used for. It's very easy to get decent sounds because you can simple add and change the pre made tones. // 9

Sound: I use it with a really cheap 120 watt Crate amp on clean and from it I can control any tones I want. The only time it creates noise is if you ad a Compressor effect then but the noise gate can cancel that out also. It has an amazing amount of options but I think the real value of this comes from creating your own tone channels. Some of the Original tones are really cool but creating your own make it much more personalized. I even use it for recording, so I can just plug straight into a sound card. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is extremely durable and is made from metal, it has never shorted out or given any technical problems what so ever. The screen was looking pretty bad for a while until I realized you're supposed to pull the plastic protection off, and now it looks brand new ever since I have and I've owned it for two years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly indie, surf or punk-ish music. But however I like to experiment in different styles of music and this can give me the right tones for anything I want. I've been playing seriously for 5 years and this is my favorite piece of equipment. If I lost it, I'd have to buy another one because it's that essential to my equipment. // 9

RP250 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 23, 2012

Purchased from: Craig's List ad

Ease of Use: Very easy to model your sounds - limited EQ range but all in all it is a breeze to access all the effects, amps, reverb, delay, etc. You won't need to spend much time with the manual. Editing the patches - again very easy for the most part. Some things don't seem to work as well in certain patches - a little sketchy, but overall it hasn't been an issue. Reverb is not the greatest on the planet but it's still quite good. The manual is short and well put together. There doesn't seem to be any way to change the drum volume - am I missing something? But it's a nice feature to have for practicing. My unit hasn't been upgraded yet - I've had it for about 24 hours. // 10

Sound: I'm going out of a '63 Fender Twin with old JBL's (D120F) that I got from the Grateful Dead out in San Rafael. So far so good - it does sound a little strange coming through that amp but my kid thinks it's awesome so I'[ll go with that. Treble and bass on 5, mid on 6, volume on 2.5. The effects sound very good. Chorus might be a touch weak - may need more tweaking. Big Room and Satch are awesome - I'm a lead player with a Whammy bar habit and in those patches it soars. Oh, playing mainly a Deluxe '02 Strat with stock pu's and an '86 Ibanez Roadstar II with some other pu's my tech installed - I don't know what they are but they are HOT... // 9

Reliability & Durability: The RP250 looks and feels reliable and I feel I could depend on this unit on stage. I would certainly use this and not be concerned about having back up gear. That said, it never hurts to be prepared. It feels rugged and road-worthy - DigiTech might want to provide something more durable than just a gig bag. Give us a real case! // 8

Overall Impression: Progressive rock and the RP250 is a good match. I like the fact that I can head down to a rehearsal studio in Manhattan without lugging a rack full of gear. I've been playing for close to 4 decades. I own a lot of stuff - have owned just about every pedal there ever was - most got stolen or lost somehow - If this one gets pinched I might go for the next generation up. I love the easy access to editing features. I hate the footswitches! The up and down should have big YELLOW arrows pointing up and down so I know where to go. The patch numbers have to be put in manually - and they are not easy to hit simultaneously - turning on the tuner is really hard, the up and down pedals are annoying as hell. The Expressional pedal is great but there should be a little more effort involved to get the Wah switched on - it's too easy to trigger. I like the big green letters. The bigger the better - don't make these any smaller! I chose this because I read some good reviews and the price was right. I wish it had a simple button on the TOP LEFT CORNER of the box to trigger the tuner. And the tuner should use the big screen - not the tiny lights running vertically. Even with my glasses it's hard to see. // 8

RP250 Reviewed by: xXkriegyXx, on june 01, 2012

Price paid: A$ 360

Purchased from: Barrosa Music

Ease of Use: It doesn't have a good sound to it. It sounds really good on clean and most of the distorted but its not as good as having all of this built into your amp. Its not that easy to edit on the spot but you can plug it into your computer and its really easy to change the presets. // 7

Sound: I was using a Vox Pathfinder with it and it made my amp sound better. You have to change the presets to get a better sound out of the distorted settings. The effects are really strong. You have to put the pedal all the way down. Its a pain because when you have the Whammy bar effect on you can't here the guitar much until you apply the effect. The clean effects are really good and give out a nice sound and tone. The distorted ones are good once you edit them but the factory ones aren't the best going around. The drum Machine on it is great and sounds better then most other drum machines. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have had it for almost 3 years and it works just like brand new. I haven't had any problems with all with it. The one thing is that I had to take a screw out to plug it into the computer but that was just my plug because when I got a different plug it worked just fine. I wouldn't use it at a gig because it isn't easy at all to change the presets unless they are right next to each other. // 6

Overall Impression: I play heaps of rock and with my little amp it sounds amazing. I now have a Line 6 Spider IV 75 and I don't use this anymore because of the effects in my new amp. If you have a small amp and want to make it sound heaps better this is great for you. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't buy it again. I would if I didn't have my Line 6 because it makes shit amps sound great. The drum Machine is awesome in it. I still use it just for the drum machine. It has heaps of different beats. The looper is great for a small looper but you can do anything for more then 30 seconds. I would buy this just for the drum Machine and looper. If you have a small amp I would recommend it. // 8

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Drop 7.9 Guitar Effects 09/26/2014