RP255 Review

Ease of Use: 8.2
reviews (6) pictures (3) 19 comments vote for this gear:
RP255 Reviewed by: anderseb, on november 26, 2009

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: There are many patches, and you can get lots of different sounds out of this pedal. You can practically find what you would like in an instant. The patches can be edited easily, and are versatile and easy to find. The manual is very convenient, and has 56 pages of information that is very, very helpful. It explains everything about the pedal in superb detail. // 10

Sound: This can get noisy with a 15 watt amplifier during band practice. If the amplifier is underpowered, it will get noisy. The amplifier is usually noisy on high distortion settings, so this pedal is almost perfect if most of your songs are on a clean setting. The effects are great, and they never sound weak. You can get the tones of many artists: Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and many more. I wish there were more options for the clean setting, such as a more melodic tone without all the delay and other effects. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very reliable. If you drop it, you shouldn't get worried. The metal surface protects against any outside forces, and will take the abuse. Considering how I treat my gear, this pedal is very road worthy. I have used this in a gig without a backup, and it works great. I find the wide range of tones worked very well with the 3 piece setlist. // 9

Overall Impression: I play death metal, metal, and rock, and this pedal works very well to get these tones. It pairs greatly with the amplifier I am now using (a 20 watt amp provided) and I get great tones with no noise. I would definitely buy this again if I lost it, and I really depend on it nowadays, and I never leave the house without it. I wish the buttons were a little bigger, and a little more spread apart, considering my big feet. This pedal went against Boss products and won hands down, as for value and bang per buck. It works great, and you should definitely check this out if you're looking for a multi effects unit. // 9

RP255 Reviewed by: GoIrish668, on april 13, 2010

Ease of Use: The presets on this box are great to begin with, and the editing system is very easy to use (providing you have read the manual). The editing can be done either on the box, or you can hook the box up to your computer and use the X-Edit software that can be found on the DigiTech website. The only thing that is not easy to use about this box is the many knobs and buttons that are on it. // 9

Sound: I have two guitars, an ESP LTD EC-256 guitar, and an Ibanez RG770DX guitar. I run both of these through the DigiTech RP255 to a Fender Superchamp amp. The effects sound great untouched, and the rest of the sound depends on what you do with it. I like to play everything from Dream Theater to GNR to Tom Morello to Joe Satriani. On this box, you can make and store your own settings, and I have made custom presets for many artists, all sounding great. I have even successfully made an Yngwie Malmsteen setting. There are so many effects/amp simulations on this box, that I have created presets solely based on the equipment that the artists use. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have never had a problem with this box, and if I was performing at a gig, I would not think twice about having no backup. This product has metal built into it, so I doubt that anyone would have durability issues. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock guitar, sometimes ranging into neoclassical music, instrumental rock, and hardcore punk. I would recommend this box to anyone playing any kind of music. This box is one of the most versatile that I have seen ever. I have been playing for just over a year, and the aforementioned guitars and amps are my only equipment. I have never had any concerns or questions about this box, and if I lost it, I would buy it back. I love the number of presets, and I also love the endless amp simulations and effects simulations. My favorite feature of this box is definitely the ability to edit it. Especially using the X-Edit software. However, I hate the number of buttons on it. I have compared this box to many others like it, but this box is the best for it's price, based on it's versatility, portability, and the many sounds that can be made on this box. // 10

RP255 Reviewed by: xSchadenfreudex, on april 08, 2010

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use and very user friendly. The effects(amp models, compressor, etc.) are in a simple layout and easy to use. The only problem with it is that with the FX you can only have one running at a time. I figured out how to use the pedal on my own and the only time I needed the manual was to do a factory reset. // 8

Sound: I use a variety of setups including my own presets. The Wah could be better but its not bad. Some distortions sound the same and others are weak but there are some good ones. I find the digital amp heads to be more responsive but I use some regular cabinets. The equalizer is very wide ranging from -12 - 12. The noise gate, compressor, and pickup are effective. I use the Pick up single - humbucker to make my sound fatter. Like I said about the chorus/fx you can only have one at a time which is a real downer but you can have delay and reverb separately thankfully. The expression pedal is great and can be utilized and a variety of ways from amp volume to distortion lvl to reverb lvl etc. The sounds are not the highest of quality but certainly worth the price you pay for them. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank and can be thrown around. The problem in durability is the buttons tend to jam every so often. I wouldn't recommend it for giging due to the limitations of the pedal but it is a great first step to multi effects. // 6

Overall Impression: Limitations are: the processor speed is slow(switching between presets), single fx, and lower quality sounds. I play punk, hardcore, and metal and I get satisfying tones. I've been playing for 5 years and I play this with a Jackson dinky and a Fender stage 185 amp. My RP250 got beer spilled on it so I bought this one, so as for the stolen question I'd have to say I'd replace it but I am upgrading to a Zoom g9.2tt. I love the price, hate the limitations I stated before, and my favorite feature would have to be the convenience of a all in one pedal. For the price its the best in its class and its no GT-10 but its worth every penny. // 8

RP255 Reviewed by: Lubira, on may 07, 2010

Ease of Use: It is fairly easy to get Killer tone out of this RP255. The user interface is like Zoom's compact multi lines, except that choosing one effect chain to another is controlled by these two small up and down buttons whereas Zoom series use dialing control knob. Editing patches on RP255 is fast and convenient, except that you don't have a full control over certain effects (like Metal zone simulation in there) due to lack of dialing knobs. You need to hook it up to your computer and run a program to do it) I only read the manual to see how many amp and stomp box simulations there were. If you ever used a multi effect, the complexity of using this multi would be relatively easy. // 8

Sound: I play BTBAM and metal, and some pop. I use Epiphone Les Paul Special II and no amp. It's not at home at the moment. So I just hook it up to a sound system or headphone but it sounds not bad at all. I am looking forward to chances to play this setup through a good amp later. First of all, the processor in RP255 is mighty, powerful. When I used to have AX1500, it tended to mush out the clarity in ringing when there were multiples of strings ringing at the same time. I guess it was due to beyond its simultaneous process capability. RP255 doesn't have that. When I play in the way where multiple of strings ring at the same time, it sings what's received: Straight and clear like vodka. To talk about the tone of this effect, it is truthful and satisfactory (at least for me) depending on what kind of setup you make (and if you do it right), this effect can get you pretty much anything from heart breaking tone from screaming mofo. My setup on this is TS 808 boosting + Mesa Recti + VTG4X12 (CLS 4X12 sometimes) Noise gate + and reverb. This is the closest setup I've ever gotten to get BTBAM sound: definitive, mean and powerful. Next, I created a slightly boosted clean tone with Vox AC15 amp and 808 boosting. It is always a poor effort trying to describe sound of anything verbally, but it sounds like warm water flowing around your heart. The decay after ringing the strings remains for a looong ass time and the picking nuance is just awesome. Reverbs sound awesome, too. I've always wanted a studio reverb and when I tried it out, it really sounded like a legit recording! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal with no problem. DigiTech changed the casing material from plastic to metal. It's got hell a lot heavier than before but it is now sturdy as hell. If I ever let go of the sanity and tried to damage this thing by stomping on it, I know it's not the effect that's gonna get damaged. I don't think this system is going to fail me in 4 years time from now on. The exp pedal works nice and I like resistance it has when I step on it. I would definitely use only this pedal on stage and have no back up for it. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing electric guitar for over 5 years and I'm a frugal guitarist who play guitar at home. I had been using Korg AX 1500 for years before RP255, and ever since she came home, 1500's been out of the league. I'm especially impressed by the versatility in tone this effect can produce. One patch with a brutal, thick and chunk tube distortion, and heart breaking soft, crystal clear tones on another. You can even get some bizzare sounding tone using Whammy and flangers. RP255 truthfully is a great leap forward in guitar multi effect technology. It's so goddamn cheap and what it has got to offer is just great: USB recording interface, excellent stomp / amp / cabinet simulations, and on top of that, good reverbs! If I lost this effect, I would definitely work my butt off to get another one. One of the best features that I like is 20 sec long looping system. The quality is good and you can even have overdub on it. Although I find pressing down patch pedals to enter / exit the looping system a lil bit annoying, but I guess the quality of sound compensates it well. I know this is not the best multi-effect available on the market. But if you are looking for a sh*t load of option over good tones for cheap, this is the right pedal for you. // 9

RP255 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 01, 2010

Purchased from: Lietz Music

Ease of Use: I've had this thing about a year so I'm pretty good at getting the soud I want out of it. For a begginer this would be a nightmare. It has 4 knobs and an expression pedal once you figure out what each one does its easy. It has a grid on the pedal that tells you what each knob does for each parameter.You can store 60 of your own presets but Its a pain to kneal down and press the edit button over and over to get to each parameter and edit them. Another pain is pressing the down button over and over bcuz ifyou hold it down it turns on the looper. One complaint I have is that its prty hard to hit both buttons at the same time to bypass it. The manual is a lifesaver. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Fender Jazzmaster with a Line 6 Spider III 120Watt amp. This thing is not noisy at all and for those settings that do get a little noisy the pedal comes with two kinds of noise gates. The effects as far as chorus flanger and phaser goes are pretty good most are based on DigiTech and Boss pedals. The Whammy is insane as well as the Wah pedal (which you get three types of btw). The pickup simulator is pretty accurate. The compressors are great and give you an awesome boost to clean settings. Now for the amplifier models. I hate them and never have used them idk if there accurate but I don't like them. The distortions are modelled after a wide range of pedals (i.e. DS-1, Metal Zone, Pro Co Rat, Tube Screamer, and DOD 250) there a good thing to have but I don't like the sound of them plus they sound the same no idea if there accurate or not. Can't think of an artists sound that you get from this but if they use Boss effects you can prly get a good sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is prty durable it has a thin metal cover. The LED screen seems to be solid and the expression pedal is stripped with durable rubber. The only thing I hate is that if your outside and you have dirt on your shoe it tends to get stuck in the bypass pedals and cause them to stick and screw up so I wudnt use it on dirt if you do bring a screwdriver and take the back off and pop the button back out I would definatly use this without a backup but if I was outside I'd definatley bring a screwdriver. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for four years and play thrash metal, hard rock, grunge, punk, and classic rock none of which call for alot of effects. But for the songs that do use them this pedal delivers well. If it were stolen and considering I had the money I'd prly buy a Boss multi effects pedal just bcuz it has more control options for live performance. I love that it has an expression pedal but I hate that is hard to control during performance. I wish it had a tap tempo button. // 8

RP255 Reviewed by: mw13068, on january 28, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: I think it's easy to get good sounds out of the presets, but I don't know anyone who would just use presets. The on-unit preset editing takes a lot of button pushing and knob twisting, but it's not hard once you've done it once. I wouldn't be easy to do in a gig situation, but at home, it's fine. The X-Edit software is easy to use and allows me to customize and save my favorite sounds. There are two ways of choosing sounds: 1) through the named presets (some based on artists) but also via the "Tone Library" knob that lets you choose genres of music. // 6

Sound: I play my Fender American Standard Stratocaster into the RP255 and then into my Blues Junior amp or into a mixer. My favorite feature of this multi-fx pedal is that it sounds great. But also, you can set a patch with no amp model at all and just use effects, and your guitar signal goes through the pedal untouched. I've tested this on a number of occasions, and my Strat into my Blues Junior sounds the same through the RP255 (with no amp model) as going straight through. This is an essential feature for me. Sometimes I don't want modeling, I just want effects. Of course, the models are great too. The AC30, Bassman, and '57 Deluxe models sound just like YouTube videos of the real amps. I also like the Marshall JCM models for lead tones. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a very tough little gadget. I've been stomping on it daily for a couple of years. There is no higher praise for a pedal than that. Not only would I gig without a backup, I HAVE gigged without a backup, every week for over a year. My RP255 has had beer and soda spilled on it, as well as being carried around in my gig bag, along with mic stands, and other metal objects. The RP255 has never given me one second of trouble. I bought it used from an eBay seller, and after a few years, it's a bit scuffed, but works just the same as the first day I plugged it in. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of styles, and just as a multi-fx unit should, it's anything I want it to be. It can do acoustic simulation, country, blues, rock, metal, and probably dubstep. This thing is a freakin' Swiss Army Knife of sounds. It sure beats the really expensive and heavy pedal board I used for a while. I've been playing guitar through every conceivable piece of gear for over 25 years. If it were lost or stolen, I'd be mad, but I'd immediately buy another one (or two). I've used a lot of different multi-fx units over the years, and this is the best one I've owned, mainly because of it's transparency (see above) and flexibility and small size. So, if you just want the sound without going nuts over some "mojo factor" then get this pedal and just play yer guitar. You won't be sorry. // 10

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ RP1000 5.7 Guitar Effects 12/17/2013