RP300A Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 02/27/2009 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RP300A
The new DigiTech RP300A combines the tones of 12 of the best in vintage and modern Amps with 26 fully programmable, studio quality effects (up to 12 at once). The RP300A has a built-in expression pedal and 40 artist presets.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Ease of Use: 8.6
 7.7
 8.3
reviews (8) 8 comments vote for this gear:
RP300A Reviewed by: xGrat444, on august 11, 2005

Ease of Use: The DigiTech RP300A is so easy to use. Each knob tweaks each part of the effect, ex: delay-on/off, type, time, feedback, and level. You can customize everything and use up to 8 effects at the same time. The expression pedal is also great you can make a Whammy, wha, volume, gain control, reverb level, and vibrato level. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Peavy Raptor and a Fender Bullet 15 for the amp. You don't get any buzz or noise, and the effect always sound good. You can get the sounds from Metallica to Hendrix. It comes with 40 presets. If you know the settings for any band just plug them in and it will sound great. The only thing that is kind of weak is the distortion. You can get some mellow distortion but from there it jumps to pretty heavy distortion. But the good thing is you can change the cab-mic setup. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on it it hasn't failed me once for a year so I wouldn't be afraid of taking it to a gig without a backup. The expression pedal might get sticky but you can fix that with a little WD-40. // 10

Overall Impression: I play pretty much anything I want to mostly metal and punk. I've been playing for about a year and a half. I have five guitars Peavy Raptor, Epiphone 1967 V, Aria ProII Cat, Jasmine 12 String acoustic, and an Ibanez 6 string acoustic. I would by the DigiTech RP300A again if it were lost or stolen. I personally love the Whammy pedal because I can get the perfect sound for Adioslave. I dont really like the fact that you can get an "in the middle" distortion sound. The only thing it needs is a USB port so I can download upgrades for it offline. // 10

RP300A Reviewed by: goodsum, on october 04, 2005

Ease of Use: It takes a while to get used to how to get hold of the sound you want, but once you get going any sound you want, you can get. As it comes with 80 pre-sets, 40 artists and 40 factorie, you don't really need to make your own really. The manual talks you through anything you want to do with it, so it is all easily done. // 8

Sound: I use a Marshall 40W value-amp and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with the DigiTech RP300A. It gives you a whole load of useful functions such as Jam-Along, which allows you to play along to music, and Learn-A-Lick which allows you to take a 10 second long part from any song and slow it down to upto 1/4 of its original speed. This is great for learning fast solos, or tabbing as it allows you to keep up and get faster. It also slows down without any change in pitch which is important. A very usefal pedal allows you to have wah-wah mode, which you can have great fun with. The RP300A also combines 12 tones, and 26 fully programmable studio quality effects (up to 12 at once). 5 knobs, allows 5 adjustible parameters. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is a great pedal, quite firmly built, with a nice pedal which works very well but I doubt this could take quite so much abuse. I would quite happily take this to a gig as long as I don't trample on it or abuse it too much. // 8

Overall Impression: The pedal covers all styles of music making it a universal pedal for all styles. I play mostly rock, with works great. It produces more rock kind of sounds than the amp alone could ever do. If it got trashed, yes I would buy the same one again. I compared this to all other makes and models coming to the conlusion that for the money it was not to be missed. You can find it now for 112 at the same place I purchased it for. A great accessory to have. // 10

RP300A Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2005

Ease of Use: The RP300A is so awesome. It is simple to use as well. The display on the pedal is a matrix which makes it easier to see what you are changing. This pedal pretty much tells you everything you need to know on the screen. The manual goes into full detail about everything effects, how to change them, how to set effects to the pedal and you can change everything on the fly. // 10

Sound: You can do anything with this! Sound is clear and not sketchy. Effects sound as good as if you were to buy a single pedal with 1 effect on it. Changin the parameters to suit you are a plus. You can get whatever sound you are going for. You can also make really great distortion settings. You can have it fuzzy or crunch, twanging or really higain, whatever you need. I haven't used just my amp since I got it because this gives off a better distortion than my amp. It also makes you a lot louder. I use my amp on volume 1 and the pedal makes it loud enough so that my parents can hear me 2 floors up (from my room in the basement). And I only have a cheapo 10 watt amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I rely on this thing to give me the sound I want. No problems with it. It's even metal. You could drop it and it wouldn't have a scratch but I still wouldn't advise you to try this unless your rich. Durability and great sound creates a perfect combo. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is perfect for anyone. Blues, rock, jazz, country, whatever. You can get any sound off of this thing. You'll never get tired of it either. You can change what you want, how and when you want it. // 10

RP300A Reviewed by: chizoofmetal, on may 30, 2005

Purchased from: Friend

Ease of Use: You don't need to learn anything for this, just plug it in and crank it up, and that's it. The manual is just 20 pages which is helpfull, but you really dont need to read any of it. About editing, it's as simple as 1, 2, and 3. Just click on the select button and choose your desired effect by turnin the knobs which is way easy to do, unlike other products. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with my Vox Pathfinder 15R practice amp and my Standard Strat. I was planning to buy a Gibson sg but when I tested the pickup simulator of the RP300 it was excatly like a double humbucker guitar. The effects of this is perfect, I had a Zoom GFX8 which lacked the power, but with this it's like a powerhouse. The wah would realy wah. The flanger would delay like crazy. But it had a little "bzzt" sound. Maybe its just my guitar, or my cable's. But whatever it is, the RP300 is perfect in sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, never actually went out on a gig with it 'cause I rely on box effects when out on a gig. The RP300 seems promising, but the express pedal makes me worry if it can handle the abuse. But no worries here 'cause I'm using box effects. I'm pretty sure I can go out on a gig with this thing. // 10

Overall Impression: My music is from blues to metal, and I must say this can do the whole lot. I just wished that I bought this before my crappy GFX8. If ever this thing would break down I'd definitly buy anotherone, but I usually like to switch to other effects just to see what kinda blends. I chosed this thing 'cause it had a high review on almost every site, and my friends say that its one of the best multi to get for 200 bucks and I must say they're right. I just wish it had more ring to it but for 200 bucks, damn it's worth it. Because of this I'm already a DigiTech fan boy. Maybe I'm gonna get the GNX series, heard they never fail. // 10

RP300A Reviewed by: georgeryle, on february 21, 2006

Ease of Use: When I discovered that I would be receiving the DigiTech RP300A I was a little dissapointed as I was expecting a Zoom multi-effects unit. However on opening the package my dissapointment vanished. Here was a far superior product. After running through all 80 different settings and sounds I was astonished that one product could produce so many professional sounds replicating those of all my favourite artists. There couldn't be a more simple, easy to use set up. I found all aspects and features of the pedal self-explanetary and the product contained an easy-to-follow manual as well. // 10

Sound: I am currently using my effects unit with my Les Paul through an average amp and the sound quality I get is outstanding. There is a huge range of settings to suit all styles imaginable all of which provide the same high quality. The sounds of all my most respected artists can be found in this pedal wether that's: Carlos Santana, Slash, Jimmy Page or Angus Black. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I am also impressed with the reliability of this product, no impact seems to be able to penetrate it's robust exterior. Possibly the only problem I have experianced comes from the way the effects are stored. Even though you can create your own personal sounds and effects, using existing effects in collabouration with each other is a slight obstacle. This has only been a problem performing songs containg different sounds as changing one desired effect to another can be overtly troublesome. // 8

Overall Impression: In conclusion I would put this product in a class of its own with only minor criticism. I have seen the update of this quality and am hoping these defects have been resolved and I was estactic to hear that it provides a usb socket for recording purposes! // 9

RP300A Reviewed by: razordimeback, on april 25, 2006

Purchased from: Steve's music

Ease of Use: I bought this multi-effect about 1 years ago and I really regret it because you cannot get any good sound from it the distortions in it sound so bad you could compare them to midi files (dramatisation). Editing patches is really easy with it thanks to the digital screen that shows you everything. The manual is really good, it explains everything very well. // 5

Sound: I use an Ibanez RG Prestige and a Randall G2 series amp with it and it really destroys your tone. I bought a DF-7 Distortion Factory to get a nicer distortion because the one comming from this pedal is awful even with hours of searching for a nice tone, even with treble to max and no bass it still sounds too bassy. If you want to use an MT-2 or a distortion pedal with it it makes it hum very much. I only use it for the wah wah that is not too bad as long as you are using the distortion in the pedal, don't try using an external distortion pedal bacause the wah will disappear. The other effects are nice because you can customize them very much. I can't get any good Metallica sound and other rock bands. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I would not depend on it even if all my other pedals broke, I would use my amps distortion even if it sucks its better than the one in the pedal. Another fact is that when you switch the patches there is a one second break that cuts your sound. I've had difficulties with the pedals, things like the Switch that makes the patches go backwards did not work so I had to go 120 patches to get my patch. I really hate this thing. // 3

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal and rock and this thing does not even suit a song I could play. I've been playing for roughly 2 years and this thing is the worst pedal I've ever bought If it were stolen, I'd thank the guy Who stole it, beat the hell out of him to get my money back and then go buy individual pedals. I wish I had compared it to other productys like Boss' multi-effect before I bought it because it really does not rock. I give this thing a 4 because the look is cool and that the wah is decent and the chorus, flanger, phaser are decent too but don't ever buy this thing it really sucks your tone and it's not worth it. // 3

RP300A Reviewed by: ScreaminBlues25, on april 09, 2007

Purchased from: Local Shop

Ease of Use: This pedal is fairly easy to use, especially considering the extensive amount of effects and models you can get out of it. There is a ton of room for storing your custom sounds, and you can store them in a certain order to provide for easy switching between tones. It is a little tricky to use at first, but a quick read through the manual will have you up and running in no time. // 9

Sound: In terms of sound, this pedal is fine for a beginner, but, as with most any multi-fx pedal, a more serious player would be much better off with single effects. Effects like chorus, flanger, and delay are covered pretty well, and I do enjoy playing around with the different amp models. It is also nice to have an extensive amount of preset tones to provide a basis for creating the sound you're looking for. Since this is a digital pedal, however, some of the effects/models sound really thin and artificial. The distortion/gain, for example, is horrible in this aspect. It is very thin and shrill and makes my amp squeal horribly when I turn it up. I was definitely not impressed with the wah; it has very little sweep, especially with bassier tones, and was not nearly as clear and rich as what you would get out of a nice Crybaby or Vox. Also, although I rarely use it, I didn't feel that the Whammy effect was up to par; it sounded as though the raised pitch was nearly a 1/4 step less than what it should be, and, like the distortion, was also very shrill. Overall, some of the effects are covered well, but a more serious player would want to purchase single effects. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is one of the most durable I have used. I have dropped it numerous times and it works just the way it did when I bought it. The only reliability problem I've had is that it is difficult to set the knobs exactly where I want them to be. For example, if I try to set the knob to the third amp model, it sometimes flickers back to the second one before I can store the setting. Hard to explain, but troublesome, nonetheless. Just because of this, I probably wouldn't use it on stage, but it is fine for practicing. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this pedal was fine for experimenting with different effects when I first started, but after 2 more years of playing, I've found that these effects sound much better coming from single units. I play a lot of classic rock (Zeppelin, GN'R, Van Halen, Boston, Skynyrd), so good Overdrive, wah, and distortion tones are essential for me, and this is exactly what this pedal is lacking. If this pedal was stolen, I definitely wouldn't be in a huge rush to replace it, and to be honest, I probably would not even do so. Definitely recommend it for a beginner using it to practice and experiment with different effects, but not to anyone who is at a point where they are very serious about playing. If you do plan to use this pedal in your lineup, at the very least purchase a single wah, distortion, and overdrive, because they are not covered well at all by this unit. // 6

RP300A Reviewed by: toyboxmonster, on february 27, 2009

Ease of Use: I recieved the DigiTech RP-300 as a gift and therefore do not know it's exact price; however, I have a fairly good idea of the price range it falls into. For the price, this pedal does deliver. The presets, as expected, are terrible. Don't even waste your time with them. Read the manual and begin making your own patches. Unlike many other multi-effects processors, this one does not necessaily aim to provide standard effects; it is capable of achieving some very strange, extreme, and out-of-this-world sounds. The sheer array of sounds available can make it difficult to build presets. The editing process itself is simple. If you know exactly what you're looking for (some crunch, a touch of analogue delay), then dialing in the right tone takes seconds. If you want to play around and experiment, you could be at it for hours. The manual lists the effects available, but does not wxplain what exactly each effect is, nor does it explain each effect's range. It's one of the better unit's in this price range, if only for the sheer versatility of it. // 7

Sound: I was given this just as I was beginning to take interest in guitar effects. It was my first pedal, so I used it on it's own for several months. I've recently begun building my pedal collection and have tried the RP-300A with other pedals. It interacts well with other pedals, though one thing to note is that it doesn't react the same way to every amplifier. It sounded alright clear through my old MEGA Bass amp, but sounded muddy on a borrowed Fender JAM. The same change in sound occured with a number of different amps. One thing that strikes me about this unit is how noisy it is. If the guitar I plug into it has single coils, the buzz is unbelievable. Onto the effects. Some sound amazing, some sound terrible, and some are in between. Out of a dozen amp models, only a handful are really useable. The fuzz and acoustic simulator really impressed me though, and I use both on a regular basis. The clean tube amp model is also very pleasant. Most of the modulation effects are decent, but the phaser and flanger are particulary bad. The pitch-shifter sounds tinny, but the Whammy is very precise and much more versatile than a real DigiTech Whammy (go figure). So far, this sounds like a pretty terrible pedal, but there are good points: the delays & reverbs. The sounds that can be coaxed out of these are absolutely stunning. The reverbs are warmer and lusher than those of several Delay boxes I've heard. There are up to two seconds of delay available. Unlike the sterile, tinny delay often associated with multi-effects processors, the RP-300A's is very smooth and ambient. The expression pedal is alright, but it's sensitivity means that the settings will have to be adjusted and limited manually. The wah has an exceptionally nice sweep that sounds infinitely better than my GCB-95 Cry Baby whendrenched in delay & reverb. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The unit doesn't look or feel particularly durable, but I've kicked, stepped on, dropped, and fell on mine, and it still works as it did the day that I recieved it. A lot of it is plastic, which scares me a little, and the expression pedal feels less than secure, but I've had no trouble so far. // 9

Overall Impression: I play ambient dream-pop/space-rock sort of music, and this pedal has served me well in helping me to shape the sounds that I wish to use. As reverbs, delays, fuzz, and Whammy are the effects I use the most commonly, the RP-300A really suited my needs. I currently own a DigiTech Digiverb, a Dunlop Crybaby, and an EHX Big Muff. I'm presently using this exclusively for delay and Whammy and will probably sell it once I acquire a Space Echo and a DigiTech Whammy. It should be stressed that while the RP-300A is not of much use to pofessionals, it is a great beginner's pedal that can initiate players to the world of guitar effects. It is of real use in helping to dicover and shape your sound. it's beiggest flaw is that presets do not trail; when you Switch from one preset to the next, there is a gap in sound that renders it impossible to Switch in the middle of a song. All in all, a good product, but one that will eventually be grown out of. // 7

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Drop 8.2 Guitar Effects 09/26/2014