RP350 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 01/22/2010 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RP350
With Tone and Effects Library knobs, the DigiTech RP350 is a very easy to use and very sophisiticated multi-effects guitar pedal. Select 1 of 30 tone presets from the Tone Library, pick 1 of 30 effects chains from the Effects Library, dial in your desired effects level, and you are ready to rock.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Ease of Use: 8.8
 7.9
 8.4
 7.4
reviews (9) 89 comments vote for this gear:
RP350 Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 16, 2007

Ease of Use: You can get a variety of tones quickly on the RP350. The easiest way is to select an amp/distortion model with one knob and an effects chain with another. For players Who would rather play than tweak sounds, you're ready to go instantly. There is a wide variety of amps and pedals to choose from. The usual palette of Fender, Marshall, Vox and Boogie amp models are present, and pedal/effect models ranging from the ubiquitous Tube Screamer and Fuzz Face to various wahs, compressors, choruses, flangers, phasers, vibratos, tremolos, reverbs, delays and more. You can choose from several different speaker cabinets, and there is even a setting to make your humbucker sound like a single coil or vice-versa. Ease of use would suffer greatly if not for the USB connection and X-Edit software, which is a hugely functional graphic interface. Every part of the signal chain is visible on your computer screen and editable, and clicking a mouse to change your sound is far preferable to bending down to tweak a knob on the unit itself. This is a great solution to marry tons of versatility with ease of use, and should be a feature of any modern multi-effects unit. // 9

Sound: The preprogrammed sounds were not much use to me, but this is nothing new. I find that most effect manufacturers are more interested in showing how many effects they can pile on at once rather than getting useful tones out of the box. With that in mind, I took a quick preview of the presets and set about creating a tone from scratch. The X-Edit interface made tweaking presets a breeze, and the overwhelming number of options was much easier to sort through. As a metal-head, I was disappointed at the lack of variety in the high-gain department. There are no models for the Uberschall, Ecstasy, Diezel, 05, or the like, and I was not happy with the results from the Rectifier, JCM800, or SLO models. I eventually came up with a decent heavy rhythm tone with the DigiTech Solo model and some judicious EQ. For leads, I paired a Tube Screamer with a Marshall Jump Panel, and iced it with some Echoplex and verb. I was able to get a pretty convincing Alex Lifeson "Power Windows" tone with the Vox AC15, TC Chorus, and gobs of analog delay. I could nail an early Santana tone with the Boogie Mark II model, and even some Zeppelin-esque sounds with the various 100-watt Marshall models. The lower-gain models were much more realistic, in general. I was also pleased to find that the RP350 sounded much better through a PA than through headphones or my computer speakers. I awarded an extra point for this. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have had no trouble with the pedal in the time I have had it, and I have found DigiTech's long-term reliability to be very good. Their customer service is also top-notch, so in the rare instance you do run into trouble, they'll help you out. // 9

Overall Impression: I was a bit more liberal with my rating after factoring in the RP350's super-low $199 price tag. I wouldn't trade in my rack full of high-dollar gear for it, but for practicing at home and laying down demo tracks, it's a great value. There simply is no substitute for glowing tubes, 4x12 cabinets and lots of volume in my book, but DigiTech has packed an enormous amount of features and processing power into a compact, sturdy pedal. The design is well-thought-out from a guitarist's perspective -- they even allow you to send a compensated output to the house while sending a full-range signal to your amp, if you wish. I think I'll keep it in my gig bag in case I blow a tube at a big show. Thanks to www.geartree.com for their help with this review. // 8

RP350 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2007

Ease of Use: Like it says on the website, there are two ways to get sound: you can either select an amp model/distortion combo with one knob and then dial in effects with another knob to make a great sound, or tweak a custom model to your hearts content. Though customizing a guitar tone through the matrix is a bit confusing and intimidating at first, once you read the manual (which is well written), you'll realize the logic behind the matrix and haven no trouble editing patches for hours. I had to update my RP350 manually through the website to version 1.1. // 10

Sound: In my opinion, the sounds are very good. I'm playing it through a Jackson DKMGT and using an old-and-crappy DOD Grunge amp (biggest piece of crap, but this unit makes my crappy amp sounds better than it ever has). The effects overall are good and extremely tweakable (you could spend hours tweaking sounds). In terms of recording, the sound quality is also very good through my PC computer (2.0ghz dual core). I use Riffworks (which I also recommend, by the way) to record, and ASIO4ALL as my ASIO drivers because the ASIO drivers from DigiTech would not work (though they told me it wasn't the RP-350's fault, but rather, Riffworks's). // 10

Reliability & Durability: As far as I can tell, this device is really reliable. The other guy who complained about this thing dying after two hours surely got a lemon; it's quite obvious that not every RP350 will die after two hours, so I don't know what he's complaining about. In terms of gigging, this device isnt ideal because there is a significant delay when switching between presets. // 10

Overall Impression: No matter what style of music you play, this device is sure to get the sound you want. Don't worry about the other guy Who's device broke, he surely got a lemon. If I lost possession of this device, I would surely buy a new one. For someone Who wants to get many effects or for someone Who wants to use their PC to record, this is the device for you (I was thinking about the GNX3 and GNX4, but I decided that I didn't want to spend that much and wanted a more portable device). // 10

RP350 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2007

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Ease of Use: The "described" procedure for editing patches in the manual sounds easy. Unfortunately, the unit died before I could edit any patches. The manual is clearly written and easy to understand. The firmware revision is 1.1. I had to download the upgrade from the manufacturer's website. // 3

Sound: It's difficult to speculate on the sound quality, this worthless POS died after only two hours of use. What I did hear for the two hours I was trying to edit patches would have been impressive in a quality unit. Unfortunately, this is not a quality unit. Right now, Behringer gets higher ratings for quality than DigiTech gets. // 1

Reliability & Durability: It's unfortunate I can't give this thing a negative rating for this category. Since it died in the middle of my attempts to set up my own patches, I can only describe it as totally unreliable. Yes, it has a metal case, but apparently the circuitry inside the metal casing must have been manufactured and wired by some inbred mormons or hillbillies. // 1

Overall Impression: Avoid this unit at all costs. Buy something else. I hope it doesn't get stolen or lost before I can return it for a refund. Obviously, given my negative experience, I have no plans to ever purchase DigiTech equipment again. I guess my next attempt will be to try Korg equipment. // 1

RP350 Reviewed by: ODdOnLifeItself, on july 23, 2007

Purchased from: Hieber-Lindberg

Ease of Use: DigiTech has made (at least) three easy ways to get a good tone out of this. There are 70 presets, each with an Amp A and Amp B, so really like 140 presets in a sense. Editing patches on the unit is easy (matrix style), but the real power is the computer editing software, X-Edit with all the knobs settings on screen. Really it's Jessica Simpson-simple. The manual is good, though I would have liked a little more explanation about how the range of numbers affects the sounds. The current software (firmware) is revision 1.3 I have a Vetta II amp and it's apples and oranges in terms of getting a good tone out of it. It's intuitive in the RP and honestly very easy to go from the tone in your head to the tone out of the RP. // 10

Sound: The sounds are quite good. Vastly superior to the previous AudioDNA chip is their new AudioDNA2, which is 4 x the muscle. The amps just have a three-dimensional quality and responsiveness that I haven't seen in a modeller before and I've used POD2.0 and some Zoom products. The effects really Shine and (I hate to say it after the outlay I spent for the Vetta II) are pristine clean. Go to DigiTech's website, the sounds that are in the Preset demo really sound like the unit sounds. There is a drum Machine with 60 patterns and the drums really KICK, so it's fun to play to. I've made a few recordings with it and it records very well via a 2-up/2-down audio stream on USB. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's made out of metal, though the switches (inc. footswitches) seem to be plastic. That might be the Achilles heal, still, the thing seems solid and I don't really think that I'll have any problems with it. I don't have a back-up, though if I played many Live dates, I'd likely have a spare (for 200 Euro, why not). // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard rock, metal, blues and some more melodic stuff. All the tones that I need are in the RP350. One thing I didn't mention is that the tones have a very inspirational quality. Even when I sit to edit tones, I end up often finding a happening sound or two and spend the time PLAYING. That's the sign of quality gear. I do have a criticism or two. There's NO tap-tempo. If you don't know the tempo of the song, then setting time-based effects like delay is hit or miss. There's not midi support so the only way to step through patches is single-stepping the up/down footswitches OR by clicking the presets in the X-Edit software. The other criticism is that Windows Vista users are having to WAIT for a version of the X-Edit software and I know that is very frustrating. In DigiTech's defense, many manufacturers are taking TIME to deliver Vista compatible products. With XP, it works like a charm. If this were stolen I definitely would replace it. It's just such a perfect Tool and I haven't mentioned the built-in Learn-A-Lick function or that there's an aux input so you can play along with other sound sources. It also has XLR-outputs, so it's perfect for feeding a mixer/monitor and still has normal audio outs as well. In all honesty, this thing is a DREAM for what I needed in a guitar processor. Though I have my Vetta II; when I need to find a tone, it's just quicker/easier/more-satisfying to grab the RP. // 10

RP350 Reviewed by: jman007_93, on march 22, 2007

Ease of Use: Not entirely easy, but also not hard at all. It is really easy to do most of the things, but you will need to figure these things out in the manual. The manual is good and explains everything that there is for it. Defintely the one that everyone should buy after they have played for about a year. Very easy to use. // 9

Sound: It does sound pretty good on my little 15w Marshall MG 15cd Series amp. It sounds much better on any bigger amps though, but is good on many amps. Yes, it can be noisy. You can increase the volume by a good amount using its dials and expression pedal. One thing that I really like is all the great effects. You can choose from many presets and your favorite effects from many different brands including your favorite Delay, Reverb, Distortion, and many others. I also really like that you don't get a bunch of feedback and noise when your not playing. The effects always sound good and you can change the levels and volume of effects with the dials that it has. It has good distortion effects like Grunge and Death Metal. You will love this product and it's effects. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its a pretty durable product. It is made of metal all on the bottom and on the expression pedal. I would defintely use it without a backup, because mine is very good and I trust it, becuase I have never experienced a problem with it. But you will want to have your extension cords for it, because the power adapter's cable is not very long. // 9

Overall Impression: I play only rock. This is a great match for any kind of music, because of its many, many effects. I have been playing for a little over a year, but I am good because I practice an hour or more a day, and because music runs in my family. This is the only effects processor that I own, or actually the only thing that I have that has effects. No, there is nothing more I would have asked before I bought this. I talked a lot with the dealers at the store I got it from and I learned a lot about what it does. I was going to get the rp250, but I decided to get the RP350 because of the so many more things that it does for $50 more. I would buy a new one if mine was lost or stolen. I love everything about it and hate nothing. I wish that DigiTech offered a free program that came with it that let you record yourself. // 10

RP350 Reviewed by: oldschoolthrash, on january 05, 2008

Ease of Use: I recieved this for Christmas and I could not ask for any more. This is my first effects pedal, and will certainly be my last. This is because you can get virtually any sound you can think of with this pedal. It also has a drum Machine that can be mistaken for a real drum set. This is by far the easiest way to get thew sound youve been dreaming of. // 10

Sound: The sound is phenomenal. My favorite band is Metallica, and there is plenty of presets that make me sound like them. These Presets are: plexi lead-amp b, for that Kill 'Em All gritty tone; cool channel, the signature Metallica clean sound found on One and Welcome Home (Sanitarium); sandman, obviously, the enter sandman sound. The only thing that kinda sucks is it doesn't really have a good palm mute sound; Twin Reverb, a good sandman intro sound; mr. clean, another good sandman intro sound; Killer, Ride The Lightning sound, sounds amazing with creeping death. All of these presets are perfect for Metallica. Ther are many other good effects too, like yaya (a wah-controlled talkbox), step filter (a techno dance auto wah), and the amazing whammy pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very dependable, it is made of metal and is very sturdy, while still retaining a light weight. I have not used it on a gig but I'm sure it would last. Just another reason to go out to your local store and buy this pedal right friggin now! // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and this is an amazing match. I have been playing for four years and have a ESP/LTD Viper 100FM running through this pedal and into a Roland Cube 20X, and it just sounds great. I love it. If it was stolen, I would hunt down the motherf--ker and make him listen to my pinch harmonics an octave up on the whammy with the amp turned up to 11. Plain and simple, this pedal is amazing, I suggest you get it right now. Good Job DigiTech, youve outdone yourselves this time! // 10

RP350 Reviewed by: outlaw metaler, on january 05, 2008

Purchased from: todds guitars ect

Ease of Use: This pedal is really easy to edit. you can get some Okay tones just using the quick edit knobs. The quick edit knobs give you 30 tone options and 30 effects they also let you edit amp gain amp volume and effect intensity. Using the X-edit 2.3 library software I found it really simple to organize my tones. The manual is pretty easy to use though I found the pedal pretty self explainitory. Effects like whammy don't automatically connect with the expression pedal which is slightly annoying but not enough to really bug me. Wah automatically connects to the pedal so that makes up for it. // 9

Sound: I run my Epi SG Special into my Crybaby Wah into the RP350 then into my RC-2 Loop Station from there into the clean channel on my Line 6 Spider II which I pretty much keep flat. The stock tones are horrible they tend to rely to much on the DigiTech models rather then the other non DigiTech ones but if you start editing it your self it sounds awesome. I play Jazz reggae punk metal blues and rock and I found this pedal dished up good tones for all these. I'm really proud of how easily I got a clutch like sound using a Plexi and Greenbacks. Some of the distortion effects tend to sound synthetic and unnatural but the amps models make up for that. The compressors also sound crappy though that might be because I don't like the effect and not the models. the modulation effects are great same with the delays. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this pedal for at least nine months. I haven't had problems until recently. occasionally my pedal will just start making wierd noses ofn the channels particularly if I've been messing around with the LFOs. Other times the up down pedals will stop working. Replugging the power supply usually solves this though. I would gig with this just because I don't have much of a choice and the problems I have with it are rare and easy to fix. // 6

Overall Impression: I give this an eight just because of the problems I've had with it otherwise it's a great pedal especially for the money. Comparing this to pedals Boss and Line 6 make in the same price range I'm blown away. Originally I only wanted the 250 but I opted for the extra tweakability in the 350. I'm very happy with this pedal I love the two LFO's I can run. I only wish it had a synthesizer and would let you run multiple modulation effects. an effects loop might also of been nice but for the money I'm very happy. // 8

RP350 Reviewed by: Datrooper, on september 01, 2008

Ease of Use: Right out of the box I was able to get a sound I liked just from the presets. Edited patches is almost easier to do on the pedal the through x-edit. The manual is amazing it explained using pictures and examples. It really talked me through it. The firmware number is 1.3 I think. // 10

Sound: I use a custom flying V a Squier and a Fender Frontman 15G. The factory presets volume level is about the same all through the preset patches. Some of the presets are weak but it is always a bad combination of effects. It can always be fixed. I can get the sound out of Van Halen, Hendrix, Rhoads, and I don't really know any blues artists, but I have heard one patch that sounds just like it. The one effect I really like is the Pickup I read online that it changes your single coils to humbuckers. Not sure if it is true but it does make a difference in sound quality. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can always depend on it. I can always move it somewhere because it is very small and easy put in the case and walk around the house with it. Would I use it on a gig without a backup? Very good question, though for me it would depend on what effects I'm using and If I can get a better single effect pedal for that one effect, so I'm not switching a lot. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all the way from some blues to speed metal. This pedal is a great match. I have been playing for 2 and a half years and this pedal is amazing. I have gone through so many genre switches and this pedal has gone with me. If it were stolen or lost I probably would not buy it again or anything else because I don't have the money for two of them:D I love everything about it and hate nothing about it. My favorite feature is being able to use the pedal to turn effects on and off. I do wish you could have to input jacks for two different guitars. // 10

RP350 Reviewed by: zayrocs, on january 22, 2010

Ease of Use: This thing is very easy to get great sound out of... There is alot of different sound you can make in all genres... Editing the patches on the pedal is pretty easy, but if you use the X-edit software it's extremely easy to edit patches... And the manual is pretty good I haven't had to use it much tho... // 9

Sound: I use a Epiphone SG G400 Vintage through a sound system at my church and it sounds really good through that and then I have a little practice amp that sounds really good out of too... Some effects get louder then others so you have to change your volume... The distortion effects are pretty good and the cleaner effects like chorus is really good... I can create effects to sound just like my favorite guitarist like Slash or joe perry... // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is made of metal! I've played with plastic pedals and they just don't feel right... It's very strong and the wah pedal is very durable. I would probably bring a backup to a gig because it's always good to have a backup, but I really don't think you need a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play worship stuff for my church and we do alot of rock stuff at my church too and this thing works very good for me. I've only been playing for just over a year, but I practice on my Epiphone sg and stratocaster all the time. If it were stolen or lost I would probably decide to buy a Boss GT-10, but I would definitely reconmend it to a friend. I love how compact and easy to travel with it is, but I hate how there is no on/off button you have to unplug it to turn it off... // 8

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Drop 8.2 Guitar Effects 09/26/2014