RP355 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 04/23/2012 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RP355
The RP355 guitar multi-effect processor gives you 126 amps, cabinets, stompboxes, and effects allowing you to get virtually any sound you want, just like the pros.
 Ease of Use: 8.7
 8.7
 8.8
 8.5
reviews (11) pictures (2) 53 comments vote for this gear:
RP355 Reviewed by: MaggaraMarine, on february 14, 2011

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Thomann

Ease of Use: It's hard to use when you have no experience with it but once you have learned how to use it, you'll notice that it's pretty simple. So I think the pedal is cleverly made: Editing patches is easy once you've learned how to do it. Reading the manual could help but I just started trying things and learned to understand it in some hours. To find a good sound you just have to try different amp models, different EQ settings and effects. I have found the amps that I like and use the most and I rarely use any other amps. In my opinion the Marshall amp models are the best for distortion and maybe the Twin Reverb model is the best for cleans. There are 126 FX and amp/cabinet models in the pedal so you've got what to choose. // 8

Sound: I'm using the pedal for recording because I got Cubase with it and it has USB. I also use it as a low volume amp if I want to play when somebody's sleeping and don't want to disturb him or her. My guitar is Epiphone Les Paul Standard and my amp is Roland Micro Cube. Sometimes I use the pedal through the AUX input of the Cube (so the Cube is only a speaker for RP355) because the Cube is a digital amp and it doesn't like pedals. I used to like the sounds of the pedal but now they sound too digital and flat for me. They miss something that Micro Cube has although Micro Cube is not the best amp and is digital too. This pedal can give a good rock and metal sound. It does cleans but I think it distorts too easily when you turn up the volume. You can't get that funky sound out of it. It's too flat sounding. The effects are pretty good. Its got good delay models and I like the chorus. I rarely use other effects than chorus because I can't find a use for things like auto Ya Ya. There are some effects that I don't like and one is harmonizer. The harmonized sound doesn't stay in the right key. I mean it just throws some random notes there that are pretty close to the scale but not right. I don't understand the Octaver effect. Maybe my signal is too weak but sometimes it just doesn't play the octave below and sometimes it gives a laggy sound. I have used the pitch shifter to lower my sound one octave and I get a poor man's bass sound. I have no bass guitar so I use my electric guitar as a bass. It does its job but doesn't sound like a real bass. // 6

Reliability & Durability: If I gigged I would have to trust on this pedal. It's the only FX pedal that I have so it would be this pedal or no effects. But I haven't had any problems with it. It's made of metal so I don't think it would break if you dropped it. It seems pretty solid. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal and I've been playing for about two years. I got this pedal as a present so I couldn't decide what I would have bought. First I was excited. It had lots of effects and sounds. I loved it and played many hours just trying what kind of sounds it could do. But then, after some months, I noticed that it sounded flat. I realized that real amps and effects are much better than some digital multi effect pedals. But it only costs about 200 bucks so it's not so expensive pedal. If it were lost or stolen it would be sad because I couldn't record any music so I maybe would buy it again but maybe I would watch for something else like Vox Tonelabs or Boss or Line 6 multi FX pedals. My favorite feature is that it's cleverly made and it's footswitchable that Micro Cube isn't. I don't like its too-digital and flat sound and I wish its amp models sounded more like a real amp. I hate its harmonizer and Octaver pedal that doesn't work properly. This pedal is good for recording especially if your style is rock or metal. If you want a recording pedal or a big package of stompboxes, amps and cabinets and some weird effects I think I could recommend this for you. // 6

RP355 Reviewed by: terrygh1949, on january 04, 2012

Purchased from: ProAudioStar

Ease of Use: I just recently recieved this unit and, I am very pleased with it's performance. It is not very diffficult to operate to get some really good sounds. Editing could not be simplier using the Xedit feature that you download from digitech's site. Hook up a USB cable to your PC and the pedal and then to your amp or headphones and, hear the changes immediately, couldn't be simplier. The manual is fairly simple to navigate through just take your time and, don't hurry, you shoudn't hurry anyway just enjoy your pedal. I have not had to upgrade anything yet it performs just fine the way it is. // 9

Sound: I have run an LP and a Strat through this unit going into a Line 6 Spider IV 75 with Great results! The only thing you have to remember is that this is a modeling pedal just as the Spider is a modeling amp so run the pedal into the cleanest channel of the amp or for that fact into the cleanest channel of Any amp or you'll get a double modeling sound that is not the best sounding. I have to say that the pedal does not add any extra noise or hum or buzz into the signal. The effects built into this unit are very good and some of the presets are very usable, I've yet to try it live at a gig and, really you cannot use any piece of gear live unless you get used to it first, that's just common sense. I have edited some of the presets to my own liking and, renamed them, this is cool and helpful feature to help you recall them because obviously with 70 user presets you've quite a choice, also even though you edit a factory preset to your user bank the factory preset will always be there in the 70 factory presets so you really can't go wrong or loose it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I own several DigiTech units and have had no problems with any of them. I haven't had to contact their support so that speaks for itself. I would definitely use it on a gig but only after a good rehearsal with the band to give it a good workout and make sure I had everything where I wanted it. As far as a using it without a backup if it went down during a gig I'm sure I could get by with the effects and sounds that I could get from my amp. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Classic Rock/Country in a four piece band on weekends and I think that I will be able to incorporate this unit into my setup. I have been a musician for over 40 yrs. And I have owned and played through just about everything out there. I own several other guitars and amps and numerous other effects probably more than I should have but I'm just a music junkie I love em all. I purchased this product from reading some of the reviews that are out there and, just because of owning some other DigiTech units. If this item were stolen or lost which I can say has never happened to any of my gear I would probably get another one. This is very well built unit, solid, looks good, great features, and sounds Great. I can't think of anything I don't like about this pedal. The drum feature in this unit is really cool to play along with, there is just about any kind of beat you could want and, you can speed em up or slow em down just where you want em. Tuner is good and, there's a looper too, really a lot of features for the buck. I tried the RP100 but I'm glad I bought the RP355 instead. I also tried an older model Boss unit but it didn't measure up to my expectations. For the features in this unit and, the sounds and, ease of operation it can't be beat. // 10

RP355 Reviewed by: r0ckth3d34n, on december 24, 2009

Ease of Use: After reading the 25 page manual, the pedal isn't fully explained. What you really have to do is look for a preset that you like, and build off from there. I liked the 16th preset, Metallica and tweaked it to my needs. I've copied my new preset into a few other places for other effects. So basically, I have the same sound, but the ability to add other effects. While this is a great feature, having to switch from stompbox mode to preset mode is kind of difficult, since most of the time I either press Delay or FX and not both at the same time. And then to switch back from presets to stompbox, I normally hit the Amp/Delay pedal so I switch the alternative amp model (which I haven't really messed with yet). It's kind of annoying, but it's fine. Editing patches is fairly simple. Use the arrows to go through the effects, and use the first knob to turn them on by pressing it. Scroll through the lists using that knob and set the parameters with the other knobs. In most cases, you can go from 0 to 99, so its a very flexible devices. Getting a good sound takes time, but it's definitely worth it after hitting chords after so long to tweak them to what you want to hear. It's a great, accomplished feeling. The firmware version is 1.1, and I'm assuming it's probably a little dated. I don't really know what the firmware version is all about, so I don't really care. And I have yet to plug it in to my computer. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Dean DBD T and a Line6 Spider 3. Not the best setup, I know. But the amp has been tweaked for the best ability of the pedal. You can make your guitar sound like ANYTHING with this pedal. But some of the stompbox effects are really bad. The tube Screamer lacks guts and lots of the other effects are a little too much or just don't sound like something I'd be using. There's like 30 different stompbox distortions, and I haven't fully tweaked with all of them yet. I really like the EQ. The parameters adjust from -12 to 12, with a 300hz-5000hz adjustable midrange frequency. Theres Bass, Mid, Treble and presence, so I get a really nice EQ in this one pedal. Not to mention you can change from EQ A to B, if you set up the expression pedal for it. There's a lot of possibilities with sound. I play a lot of Silverstein, Dance Gavin Dance, Attack Attack!, Green Day, Yellowcard, All Time Low, We the Kings, Senses Fail, jazz, and some classic rock. This pedal fits all of those things very well. My sound is more like Silverstein, but it's not too heavy to cover All Time Low or Yellowcard. I love all the effects in this thing. Some of the things like the Wah and Step filter just make me think "Wow, this couldn't be more awesome." Not to mention how adjustable everything is. It's a really big step up from an RP50. The sounds out of the RP355 are way more full and less digital sounding. Couldn't ask for anything more. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I depend on it for everything, and it holds up. It's been surviving in the 40 degree garage where my band has to practice. It's even been stepped on a little too hard on the expression pedal to the point where it tipped and crashed down pretty hard. Most of it is some kind of metal. The expression pedal shocks me, its metal with a rubber grip on it. The casing is metal and the base is metal, but the pedals are a hard plastic. It's very durable, as it's held up abuse, some moisture even, cold temperatures and a lot of movement. Speaking on the expression pedal, it's adjustable with real-time parameters, and you can set up how hard you want to press down on it to turn on the Wah or whatever you have it set to, which is a really nice feature. I will be using it at a show at my high school pretty soon, and I have no doubt in my mind that it will fail. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall... wow... well this pedal is for ANYONE. If you know how to use it. I've been playing for two years, and the only other pedal I own now is a Boss DS-1, that I barely have a use for now, but I still really like it. I wish I would have known what presence and midrange frequency were before I bought the pedal, but I sorta figured it out as I went a long. If this were lost or stolen, I'd kill the person Who stole it. It took me almost a year to save up for and it's a fantastic device for anyone who needs a more expansive sound. I love how everything can be tweaked, it can be a little time consuming but it's definitely worth it. The RP355 is the best pedal out of the RP series if you can't afford the RP500 or RP1000. It's small, durable and it holds up very nicely. You can do ANYTHING with it, I stress ANYTHING with this pedal. I sorta wish it had more than 3 Wah types (McClyde, Crybaby and full), but eh, whatever. You won't get anything better for $200. // 10

RP355 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2010

Ease of Use: The DigiTech RP 355 is really easy to get a good sound out of as long as you take the time to tweak it away from the overdone preset settings. That said, there are even a few usable presets in the unit, which is a rarity for the RP series. Unlike previous RP series pedals, there are no stone bummer models in this unit, but all of them are going need tweaking to taste. The only model that seemed less-than-ideal was the Rectifier model, which sounded kind of harsh and fizzy to my ear. But it is totally subjective; someone else may love it. The manual is well written and explains things very well. Firmware is Vers. 1.4. Frankly, I was amazed at the quality of sounds from a unit in this price range. // 10

Sound: I am using a modded Fender Strat with Carvin pickups and Floyd Rose Whammy bar, and a 1985 Peavey Impact 1 with Kahler whammy. These go into a DigiTech EX 7, then the RP355, and I also use an old Roland GR 1 guitar synth. All this then gets sent to an ancient Gallien Krueger Master Lead and a Tubeworks 2x12 cab. The RP 355 is not noisy at all, which surprised me, because the last RP pedal I owned was about 10 yrs ago (with the silver and blue chassis) and that one was a piece of junk. The only weak effects I've found have been the chorus, but that could be the fact that it completely lacks the slight upper midrange boost every other chorus on every other effect processor I've heard adds to the sound. The synth-talk and yaya effects seemed kind of useless. The Whammy is great though, as is the harmonized pitch shifter. The MXR flanger model is dead on; the best I've heard. A backward delay effect would have been nice, but hey, this is a $199 effects box...The looper is awesome, and easy to use. I can get all the sounds I actually use in a real, live, playing environment, which is what counts. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's too soon to tell if it is reliable, but given my past experiences with DigiTech gear I can probably drop it off the back of a truck and run over it a few times and it will probably still work. DigiTech quality has been a roller-coaster ride for the past 20 years or so, and now they seem to be back to making decent sounding stuff. They'd always made indestructible stuff though, even if it sounded bad... // 9

Overall Impression: I play in a prog-rock-latin music jam-band. (Yes, take a second to let that sink in...) I have been playing longer than Kurt Cobain, but not as long as Keith Richards. I have owned almost every modeler since Line 6 started this craze, and this is the best of them. I also like old guitar synths, Strats and strat-like guitars, solid state amps (go on, call me a heretic!) If it were stolen, I'd probably get another one. At this price, why not? I love that it is compact; the reason I got it was to make room on my pedal board for the GR1 synth.There are a few things I wish it had; a MIDI in port, at least. A power switch. Backwards delay effects...it would also be nice if you could link various other effect parameters to the amp-channel switch; not only have it Switch from a to b, but have the option of, for instance, also linking the chorus depth to it, so it is deeper on the clean channel. My favorite feature is probably the sounds overall. And the looper. I compared this to a Boss GT 10 and it replaces a Zoom G9.2tt. This wins as far as tone. // 9

RP355 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 26, 2010

Ease of Use: I've found it to be fairly easy to use, the display is very simple, and once you read the manual, it should be very easy to operate this unit. Patches are edited in the same way as they're done a any other rp's, push the edit buttons to surf trough the efectts and turn the knobs to change the parameters, piece of cake. Mine came with the latest firmware, version 1.4 so I haven't upgraded it. // 9

Sound: My set up is pretty shitty, but it makes it sound a lot better, my guitar is an ibanezrg350m, into the RP and then to the front input of mi crappy 10 watt amp. I've found that most fx are rather good, except for the choruses, they're not bad but could be better, they sound too weak for me, but other than that I was surprised by the quality of the fx. I've had a hard time getting the sounds the way I wanted them, but if you take enough time tweaking it you can achieve great tone. I've made several patches from scratch and the results have been good, I particularly like my RATT, ZakkWylde and Bark at the moon patches, they sound great. I also made a patch for yngwie malmsteen's tone, it's ok but i'm still working on it. The od's(screamer, 808, dod250) are ok and most distortion models sound good as well, but I was very dissapointed with the big muff model, it's just not creamy and fuzzy enough, you can't really get a good meaty muff tone out of it, I also don't like the metal zone model, but I hate the metal zone itself, so that's not to blame on the rp355, I guess. The amp models sound good to me, I don't know how those amps sound in real life because I've never played tru them, but the sound is good no matter how accurate or unaccurate they might be. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure I could gig with it, I'm not currently in a band but if I was in one I'd defenitively use it live. The metal chassis seems to be very sturdy and I don't stomp on it too hard so I shouldn't have any problems with it. So yeah, I'd gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy, trash, glam and shred. And I get really nice tones for those styles from this unit. I've been playing guitar for almost 4 years now. I own an ehx metal muff with top boost, an Epiphone Les Paul Special and I used to have an RP50 but that ended up in the trash can after many years of abuse(I got it second hand).The metal muff is great for rythm, but for lead it just doesn't cut itand I get great lead tones from the rp355. So, about the rp355, I love the pedal, except for the choruses and the big muff model it sounds awesome if it were lost or stolen I'd get an rp1000, but only after I get a good amp. I watched many videos and read reviews on the internet before I bought it, I compared it to the Boss me25 and me70, and to be honest those 2 sounded like crap to my ears, I didn't try them though, so I could not be 100% sure, but DigiTech has never let me down and for the price and features the RP355 is the way to go. // 9

RP355 Reviewed by: firebowl99, on december 01, 2011

Purchased from: Hix Bros Music

Ease of Use: The RP355 is a great guitar multi-effects pedal made by DigiTech. I got it for my birthday from Hix Bros Music for $199 and it was well worth it. Its really easy to get great sounds from out of it, editing patches is easier that ever, and its just a great pedal. // 10

Sound: With my setup, I'm currently using a Epiphone G-400 that goes into my RP355 and then to my Line 6 Spider IV 15. When using it, you get great sound if you play on the clean with all effects turned off except for a little bit of reverb. If you play on the other channel, its not that great because all they do is add more and more distortion. The pedal is only loud if you play with loud volume on your amp. With the RP355, you can get all sorts of sounds similar to artists including U2, Daughtry, Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Pink Floyd, and tons more. Most of the effects are pretty good. One of my favorites is the DigiTech Whammy, which allows you to plays notes that you could only play on a 24+ fret guitar on a 22 fret guitar. Also, it lets you bend up and down so you don't have to use a tremolo bar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can highly depend on this pedal because its made out of very solid material and the electronics on it are great. The only thing people should be aware about is that the Tone Library Knob can break off very easily due to the fact that it rotates and can be pushed in. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great match for all guitarists of all styles and skill levels. I've been playing guitar for four years and play rock, metal, and all of the subgenres that fall in those two genres. If it were stolen, I'd probably buy another one because all the other ones were out of my price range or not very high quality. Before I bought this, I compared this to the RP255, a pedal one model down. After comparing, I found out you get a lot more features for only $50 more. // 10

RP355 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 23, 2012

Ease of Use: This is so easy to use and it sounds great! All you need to do to edit a patch (there are 140 of them) is select the effect you want set the parameters and then save it! I love the built in looper! It's great for practicing. The manual it comes with gives you every thing you need. It tells you what all the effects are modeled after and how to use them! I got my unit about 4 months ago and I haven't updated the firmware... Because its great the way its is! I was deciding between the Boss me 70 and this and I am glad I chose this it is great for the $! // 10

Sound: I use this with a Vox Valvetronix (tube amp) on the clean setting. It took me a while to get the rite sound from the RP355 but when I did it sounded great! Although some of the effects are kinda cheap sounding but if you mess with them enough you can make them sound pretty good. The Wah pedal is a nice feature but its no cry baby! I can very easily get the sound of my favorite songs! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is pretty dependable 95% of the time. One time I plugged it in and the gain was all the way up and I couldn't figure out what was wrong but it went away after I reset it. Its pretty durable too it has an aluminum body. However the pedals are plastic and kind close together but that is so you can enter stop mode and bypass etc. I have used this at a few gigs and it hasn't failed me yet! // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 5 years and I'm a freshmen in high school I like Metallica, Green Day, Rush, stuff like that. Lots of reviews say that the sound suck but I don't see a real problem there you get what you pay for! I love all of the feature like the Wah and all the distortions and wide range effects it has every thing I need! I also love the looper and drum machine! I also like how it has a left and right out put for a pa and a aux in and head phone jack. It also has an midi in the back. This is also great for recording! All and all fantastic product for the money! I highly recommend it! // 9

RP355 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2010

Ease of Use: The ability to get good sound is easy, and anyone can do it. You could take a really cheap guitar, say one that cost $100, and make it sound like a $2,000 guitar. It's amazing. The sound quality is great, and works well with all effects. Editing patches is something I haven't really done, so I don't know the difficulty of it with this Machine. I only got this a month ago, and have been playing more with the effects and looper features. Looping is fairly easy, but seems limited to one loop each time, and sometimes 20 seconds is not enough for what you are trying to loop. All in all though, a good Machine that is generally easy to use. // 9

Sound: I have an Epiphone Les Paul that I use with it and it sounds great. There are no complaints about this at all, and it never gets too noisy for anyone. No problems with effects either, they always sound great, and never seem weak. I generally listen to classic rock, but do play modern stuff too. The Metallica effect is perfect, nearly exactly like Metallica live, and gives the desired sound. I turned one effect into one that sounds like Green Day, and that's pretty good too. I can generally get the sounds of Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and other 70's bands from one single effect, similar to Rockabilly, but with some distortion and other effects. A Van Halen effect can be made with anything on delay. There's one with preset delay, that sounds close, so that's what I use. Finally, if working on anything Beatles, you can't go wrong with the Acoustic effect or the Pickin' effect. They are perfect for that kind of music. No complaints about any off the effects at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This product is very dependable. I would definitely use it without a backup, but there are things that would concern me with live performances. Having to press two buttons to get to Bypass and eliminate all distortion for certain songs is tricky, and the only way to rapidly switch from a current preset to something that sounds clean. I find that several of the songs I play involve two presets that have 20 or so in between, so bypass is my only option. Still, I feel that this is very quality and reliable as an effect pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: The classic rock style I like is perfect for this pedal, especially with the ability to select certain amps, many from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. I've only had it for a month, so the experimentation is still going on, but I've been playing guitar for 11 years now, and find it to be a great pedal, considering I never really looked into one previously. I would definitely buy it again, and have no regrets choosing this one. There is nothing to hate about this pedal, except some minor complications that the manuel or DigiTech could help you through, but the sound, effects, and looping is ideal for whatever you use it for. I highly recommend it. // 10

RP355 Reviewed by: guitar*guy, on june 30, 2010

Purchased from: Furtados' (India)

Ease of Use: The ease of use was criticized, compared to the Zoom G7.1ut, but I personally found it extremely easy to use. The X-Edit patch editor for the PC greatly increases the ease of use. The presets that came with the pedal are quite usable. The stompbox (STOMP) mode was an excellent feature and can be used to toggle distortion, effects and delay. Accessing this mode takes some getting used to, but is quite easy once you get the hang of it. The manual explains the features quite well. When I bought the pedal the firmware version was 1.4, which is the latest, so I didn't need to upgrade it. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Squier Fat Strat and a Marshall MG15DFX amp. Not the ideal rig, but the pedal makes it sound excellent. I play a lot of Guns N' Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Oasis, etc. and have been able to get excellent tones for all of these artists, surprisingly even an excellent Slash tone, emulating a JCM800 and an Ibanez Tube Screamer. The Dreadnought Acoustic tone is extremely rich, and sounds excellent. I have, so far, noticed absolutely no noise, however this requires some tweaking of the noise-gate. The best amplifiers, according to me, are the Marshall JCM800, the Vox AC30 Top Boost, and the DigiTech Bright, Brownsound and Saturated Tube amps. The Roger Mayer Octavia distortion is amazing, and can give you the classic Hendrix tone. I didn't like the Boss Metal Zone, though, as it sounds very thin to me, however somebody else might love it. The equalizer has 4 presets and allows you to adjust Bass, Treble, Midrange and Presence, and you can set the midrange frequency from 300 to 5000 hz. There are 4-5 models for each type of modulation effect. The effects are great - the variety would please anybody. The pitch effects are very good - especially the Intelligent Pitch Shifter, which allows to choose the scale you're playing in. There are three wah's; the Dunlop Crybaby and the Vox Clyde McCoy sound the same (very good); the DigiTech Full Range Wah is rubbish, sadly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't tested its durability yet, but it seems extremely well built, especially compared to my older pedal. (Zoom GFX-707) I would definitely gig without a backup. The expression pedal feels extremely strong; metal with rubber grips. However, the footswitches are made of plastic. They haven't let me down, though. The V-Switch is an excellent feature, and lets you Switch on the Wah by tipping the expression pedal forward. In a nutshell, it seems extremely durable. // 9

Overall Impression: I chose this pedal over the Zoom G9 solely because of its looper, and after owning it for three months, I don't regret my decision at all. If it were stolen, I'd kill the guy who stole it. The pedal is basically an upgrade over the RP350; it adds the stompbox mode, the looper and a few more amps. I love everything about it, except maybe the lack of difference in the wah's. My favorite feature is the looper, hands down; it allows you to record upto 20 seconds, and overdub an infinite number of times. (with different patches all the time!) The versatility is fabulous; this is a pedal for beginners as well as pro's and for the price, its excellent. I live in India so I got ripped off and had to pay about 80 bucks more, thanks to Customs, and its STILL worth the price. It owns all competition by Zoom, except perhaps for the Death Metal sound, which I've heard isn't good compared to Zoom, but I'm not into that kind of music so it makes no difference to me. I would recommend this pedal to....anyone. // 10

RP355 Reviewed by: kutless999, on june 20, 2011

Ease of Use: It is very easy to get a great sound out of the DigiTech RP355. To edit or make your own patch, you basically have 12 different amps and effects sections to choose from. First, you can choose an amp model out of the 34 different amp models which range from clean to heavy. Next, you choose a cabnet option out of the 18 cabnet models. After you choose your cabinet, you can choose to have a distortion stompbox out of the 18 that you can choose from. Next, you can choose to have an effect like flanger or chorus. After that, you can add a compressor. Next, you can add many different types of reverb. You can also add a delay. You can also choose what the expression pedal does. It can be used as a Wah pedal, a volume pedal (which is what the expression pedal defaults as), and many other parameters. You can add a noise gate, and you can even use the pickup simulator, which means you can go from single coil to humbucker pickups, or vice versa. Of course it comes with 70 presets right out of the box, with which you can find some sounds you like. The manual is very helpful. It tells you everything you need to know. It also comes with a 20 second looper and a drum Machine with 60 built in patterns. It also comes with a feature called Learn a Lick. What Learn a Lick does, it basically slows down 10 seconds of a solo on your favorite song, so you can learn it easier. // 10

Sound: I plug my Squier Afinnity Strat into this unit and I plug headphone into the unit. The unit is not noisy, unless you use a high gain amp like a jcm 800 and use a DigiTech Death Metal stompbox with it. The effects in this unit are amazing, and every single one of them sound great. I have not tried to get the sound of my favorite artist yet (kutless), but I'm sure I will be able to. The distortions on the unit are pretty good, and they are better than I expected, but they are probably not as good as individual stompboxes, but they still sound good for a mfx unit. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The RP355 is "built like a tank" and is very sturdy. I would defenatly use this in a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of different styles of music and this unit fills all of them very well. I have been playing for 4 years and I the only other gear I own is my Strat and my Cube 15X. If this was somehow stolen, I would defanatly buy this again. I love almost everything about this unit, especially the effects and the expression pedal. I don't really hate anything about the RP355. My favorite feature has to be the expression pedal (I don't know if that's a feature, but oh well). I compared this to many other mfx units, like the Boss ME-25, the Zoom G21NU, the Line 6 Pod 2.0, the Vox Tonelab ST, the Behringer V-AMP 3, the Line 6 Floor POD, and a few others. I wish it had a slicer effect, now that would be cool. All in all, the DigiTech RP355 is an amazing unit for the price you pay, and if you're in the market for a mfx unit that's under $200, you should defanatly get the DigiTech RP355. Trust me. You won't be dissapointed. // 10

RP355 Reviewed by: nayansurfer, on august 09, 2011

Purchased from: Furtados music

Ease of Use: Getting any sound through it is easy, thanks to the simple interface. This is a rare unit in its price range as it lets you use upto 11 effects at a time, so its versatile. Editing patches is a breeze, too. There are 70 factory & 70 user patches given. The manual doesn't explain how to recognize whether you are viewing a patch which is factory or user created. While browsing through factory patches quickly, letter F will be displayed at the middle of the display. The manual is too short. I've never upgraded the unit as its quite new. // 5

Sound: I use it with a Yamaha Pacifica 112J guitar & a Roland Cube 30X amp. U have to finely tweak the EQ & noise gate, especially when your patch has a lot of parametres, specially distortion. Sometimes, you'll be at a deadlock initially to eliminate the noise, but you'll find a way soon. The amp volume for two amps per patch is not the same, even if you set it at the same volumes. The effects are ok for a unit in this price range, specially the reverbs. However, its no big thing, as DigiTech is world renowned for its reverbs. Effects are nothing if you compare them with Boss single effect pedals. However, comparing effects from a multi effect unit to those in single pedals would be foolish. You can get the sound of any artist you like, you may even take help of the factory patches fot that as they can't be overwritten. Creating sound of artists who have a simple concept while designing their sound is easy using this effect unit e.g. Slash's tone. However, to reproduce sound of those artists who are technically complicated fine tuning would be required, which sometimes proves difficult as the unit has only 3 pedals to change the effects, even while in stompbox mode. The distortion would have been better, but I've tried many units in the medium price-range & good distortion is a problem with all brands there. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I'll have to depend on it as it's adequate for me. Sometimes I feel it has some effects which I would never be using, but that's with all the multi-effects. I've gigged with it without a backup, but I'm one of those musicians who emphasize emotion & content rather than tone & effects, so it may not have been technically pleasing, but I don't bother. // 5

Overall Impression: I play various genres & its a good match for me. I wish I had known that it didn't have tap tempo feature. However, it's all a matter of being used to. If it were lost, I would save enough & wait long to buy a top end Line 6 unit instead. If someday I get a better tube amp, I would buy a top end Boss unit instead. That's because, I don't think I would be able to save enough for buying individual effect pedals. Boss is good with effects, Line 6 with amp modelling. DigiTech is somewhere in between, you can call it poor man's Boss or Line 6, as it has more features, though. My favourite features are the looper, stompbox mode & the amp switching as A/B per patch. I compared to a Boss ME-25, but it had less features & no drum machine. I also compared to a Korg processor which was incompatible with my version of windows. There was Line 6 Floor POD Plus there, but I didn't feel like trying it. Except ME-25 all units available there were outdated. ME-25 seemed too low end. I wish it had more pedals & a little better effect quality. // 5

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ RP1000 5.7 Guitar Effects 12/17/2013