RP50 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 05/21/2010 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RP50
Award-winning amp, cabinet and pick-up modeling and an arsenal of studio-quality effects.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 Ease of Use: 8.2
 7.3
 6.6
reviews (36) 41 comments vote for this gear:
RP50 Reviewed by: neuroplay.com, on april 05, 2004

Ease of Use: It's really easy to get a good sound out of this small and compact pedal. The manual is a mini 20-some page booklet that's very discriptive. The effects are very easy to edit, and it has 80 of them. The screen can only fot 2 characters so all effects are abreviated, but it tells you what all the abreviations are in the manual. // 10

Sound: I used a Marshall Micro (the 3 foot one, not the 3 inch one) and an Austin ERA Standard, before I upgraded my entire rig. It's pretty good with cutting down noise. How hard you work on an effect is how great your effect will be. It's in a much smaller preportion though. (it doesn't take much work to make a good effect, but the more work you put into it the greater the effect will be). It's fairly simple to match other artists' sounds with this small pedal, with it's built in effects such as a phaser, flanger, chorus, reverb, delay, EQ, niose gate, auto yah, and auto wah. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd use it in a gig, practing, or just showing friends my stuff. Every once in a while I would have to buy a new one just for safety, but I've already upgraded to a GNX1. The one button fell in half way about a year after I bought it, but that's what happens in time (the button still works though). It does seem kind of week though, stucture wise. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great pedal for starting guitarists (like me when I got it). It's got pretty good effects for such a small pedal and price. I suggest this to all who are thinking of a pedal to buy (for there first pedal) it has the effects and sound of 6 or more pedals combined, with the price of ony one, it's like a buy one get 5 free! // 10

RP50 Reviewed by: gallagher2006, on may 23, 2006

Purchased from: Music Shop

Ease of Use: I have to say how great this pedal is for the price. I Mean 60 is nothing forabout 60 effects (never actually got round to counting). It is relitively easy to use, as you can select how much of each effect is used, with a number from 1 to 9. One problem however is that you can only save 40 of your own sounds, which is kind of a pain when you play songs that need to change effects at parts of the song, for example, Oasis's "Go Let It Out" uses the acoustic simulator, then moves to light distortion, then to Heavy distortion at the end. This is quite a pain if you need to store an entire setlist as with this way you can only store about 15 songs with multiple effects. great for a beginner though. // 7

Sound: Overall, all the effects are quite good quality, but then certain effects aren't really needed. Like the dynamic Wah (which sounds more like a duck than Wah) and the Yah (which is completely useless). The effects that are captured well though are Chorus, Multiple Distortions, Delay and reverb. These are all the basics of the guitar effects, again good for a beginner, but an experienced guitarist may be happier with the higher ups of the range (I'm currently using an RP300, I believe its called). The Biggest fault though is that there is no wah-wah pedal or volume pedal, which could have been added with only a little more cost. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Unfortunetly, I didn't get a chance to use this in a gig, but I would imagine that it wouldnt provide the correct durability I need as it is made of a kind of soft plastic type thing, that would break very easily if accidently steped on the wrong way. I actually did this and it has a crack in between the two pedals, so it is quite unreliable, I would definetly use a harder pedal, but would maybe use this as a last resort back up. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly Oasis, Radiohead, Beatles, and all sorts really. for some songs, it provides a good match, but at other ties it can be frustrating trying to get the right kind of distortion, or the right reverb or anything else really. There is no way I would buy this again, and I really wish I had asked to get an expresion pedal version. I really wish that it had a wah-wah pedal, as that is what every gutarist needs. Once again, I would recommend this only to people playing less than 3 months. // 5

RP50 Reviewed by: wings4marie, on may 16, 2006

Ease of Use: Extremely easy to use. 40 different combinations of effects. 40 are user-selected, which for the learned user can be extremely useful that can be modified to utilize the effects you want, and 40 exact copies that cannot be altered. The manual is easy to use and is very organized. // 10

Sound: I am using this with a B.C. Rich Bronze Warlock into a GK head on a Marshall cab. It sounds amazing. Some of the effects they give you just sound a little weird though. Some of the combos are taken directly from some popular songs, one combination perfect for Eruption. Some of the phaser and/or wah effects can sometimes almost go out on you entirely, but still great sounding. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Fairly durable. I've dropped it a couple times, but nothing serious. The only thing, and this is a warning, do not scratch the screen. It comes with a screen protector, and unless you will never use this on stage, do not take it off. The screen is easily scratched or scuffed. I'd still use it on a gig anyday though. // 7

Overall Impression: I love the metal effects on this pedal. With anything from Metallica to Slayer, this product sounds great whenever you have the right effects. I've been playing since I was 11 and have used it everyday of my life since the day I got it. My favorite feature has to be the Chorus/Mod effects selection, with over 100 diferent effects to choose from, including distortion, flange, and phasers. Awesome product for any current or up-and-coming guitarist. // 10

RP50 Reviewed by: NIN&J5, on july 19, 2006

Ease of Use: The effects that it comes with are really wild, all of them are different and it is fun to play with. All of the pedal effects you own can be found in this (except a great wah). If you are wanting to go ahead and make your own effects, be prepared to spend some time and frustration, it is difficult. The manual clears up a few problems, but doesn't explain well how to make new effects. // 6

Sound: I use the RP50 with a Crate GT65 amp and a Stratocaster. The only noisy setting is number 40, a very loud distortion/overdrive. It makes great delay, flange, distortion, and chorus. One thing I really like about it is that one of the settings it comes with sounds just like what Jimi Hendrix used live for Purple Haze. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is very dependable, but takes up a whole nother outlet, not batteries. That is the only thing I can think of that would play against it's reliability, otherwise its great! // 9

Overall Impression: I really like it over all, it can make about any effect you can think of and at $75, it costs about the same as a single effect pedal. It is really worth the money when you think about how much you save in the long run because you dont have to buy effects. I am satisfied with it 100% and recommend it to anyone that has a little natural talent with these processors. // 9

RP50 Reviewed by: tomasdakid14, on august 03, 2006

Purchased from: Magdon Music, Olyphant, PA

Ease of Use: It is very simple to use. It does not come with a manual or atleast mine didn't. But I figured it all out within a matter of an hour of playin around with it. I did download a manual off the internet just so I could see all the little details to using it. // 8

Sound: I am using the RP50 with a Tele and a Strat into a 60 watt Fullerton amp. There is quite a bit of feedback on the factory presets but with some adjusments to the presets it could sounds crystal clear. I use it for playing AC/DC, Metallica, and Led Zeppelin. All of which need different sounds for there songs which can all be made with this cheap little addition to your setup. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The power source that comes with it is dependable because it is a plug. It could also run on 6 AA batteries and I don't think that would last to long. It seems to be made of quite cheap plastic so if I were to gig I would have another one as a backup, they are cheap in price but would seem to be durable enough for the reasons I use it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and heavy metal mostly and the effects such as chorus, distortion, pickup simulator, wah, and phaser all seem to be great for this. I've been playin for nearly two years and own a tele, a strat, 60w amp, 15w amp, Behringer distortion modeler, and an Aria acoustic and the RP50 is a great addition to my growing collection and interest. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't buy this one again I would buy one of its bigger brothers such as the RP80 or RP100A. // 9

RP50 Reviewed by: darkarbiter7, on november 27, 2007

Ease of Use: First off, this isn't a processor for everyone. You need to know how to dial in what you want. When you first get it, you may want to read the m anual through a few times. It does come with a lot of presets, but they're all rubbish, spare maybe 3 or 4. If you want to get any good sounds at all, you have to put in your own presets, where there are some pretty good ones on the DigiTech sound community. // 7

Sound: I'm using it with a strat and a Peavey classic 50. This isn't a very noisy pedal, you have to set it up right. If you have the compressor up all the way, or have a high gain amp model going, you'll get some noise. It does have a noise gate, but it doesn't get rid of the noise while you're playing. The modulation effects are pretty good (chorus, flange, phaser). And they're some cool octave and Whammy settings too. The amp models. Half are good, half are junk. I really dig the stack setting when you have it turned up, real modern sound. The clean settings, at a low level and when plugged into a good amp sound good too, and I've made several high quality recordings with my computer mic and a set of earbuds hooked up the RP50. The Auto-ya effect is pointless. The drum Machine is pretty good too, it's very nice to practice with some drums backing you, it gives you some practice so you know what you're doing when you actually get in a band. But overall, great Sound to price ratio. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Eh... it's more dependable that people give it credit for. True, it's plastic, but it's reasonably strong plastic. Just don't step on it too hard, or it'll probably break. I wouldn't even gig with this, this is a purely practice tool. Even then, you have to be careful not to step on it too hard. // 7

Overall Impression: I play basically everything, and there's settings that's allow you to play everything. Blackface model for cleans, some of the dirty settings for blues, stack settings for rock, and rectifier model for metal. If it were stolen, I would probably try out one of the bigger models of the RP series. I wish it had more realistic amp models, but for 60 bucks, you're not going to get it. Overall, good price, good tool for practice and recording. // 8

RP50 Reviewed by: Metal_Fiend69, on june 28, 2006

Ease of Use: Fairly simple to use just two pedals for up and down for going through effects. Fairly simple to edit patches apart from it might take a while to remember what all the letters and numbers mean, but after w hile its a breeze to use. The Manual is essential to know what all the diff letters are for the effects. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Martinez les paul into a Marshall MG100HDFX (xSHAMEx). The sound is average, very noisy on the Marshall and rectifier amp settings in my opinion, but the feedback u get sounds awesome. I dont favourite artists so I don't worry I try and make my own sound that sounds good and yer it is pretty easy to get a good sound the EQ makes a big difference. Some effects I'd say some effects have been put in just to fill up the patches like the yah yah. that is absolutely useless might as well call it a toy when your doing that stuff. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have to say don't like that idea much especially when you take it to gigs and mates place stuff like that has to be in a case otherwise I'm sure it would break. And the tuner sometimes doesn't work properly. And I never use batteries I always use the power adaptor. I used the batteries once and the tuner didnt work properly. I would take I to a gig but I'd bring a backup. // 6

Overall Impression: Pretty average to poor but what you pay for is what you get. But I'd rather stay away from the RP50 if you want something that sounds good and is reliable I wouldnt buy this. // 7

RP50 Reviewed by: Dio773 & D4ve, on july 25, 2006

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Ease of Use: The RP-50 comes with a lot of pre-programmed pedal combinations that sound great and many tones are achievable with it. The manual is straight forward and easy to read, the only thing I don't particularly like about it is that the contents are hard to navigate with. Mine hasn't been upgraded, it is still stock. // 7

Sound: The RP-50 is a good pedal for someone Who doesn't have a wad of cash to throw around. I use either my Cruiser (super strat) or my Vantage Avenger (telecastor) with it, I usually use my Peavey Bass amp with it and it sounds great. It is loud when you apply alot of reverb or delay with distortion or phaser. It normally has a controllable volume so you can keep it low or crank it if you want. I can usually get pretty much any sound out of it I want, except with Wah, Tremelo, and Volume swells because you don't have much control over them (they are all set to a pattern, or are affected but your playing). My most desired sound comes from artists such as; Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Stevie Ray, Steve Vai, and Black Sabbath. I find it much harder to achieve the sound of Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer from my RP-50. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is a very well built pedal and it lasts long. It's has taken a power surge and a couple tumbles since I got it, but it still works perfectly. I can depend on it except I would keep an extra AV cable around because they can be pulled loose causing it to cut out sometimes. I would bring it to a gig but I would have batteries and an AV cord to use with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of genres, so I have experience with a large variety of trying different styles with the RP-50. I believe it best suits genres like: Metal, Classical, Jazz, and Rock. Some people might disagree with me but I haven't tried it with genres like Country or Reggae. I have been playing for about 3 years, and I also have a DigiTech Grunge, an Ibanez Delay, and a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah. If it were stolen I would probably buy a new one because I like the RP-50 (it fits with a lot of styles of music I like to play). I love the drum Machine, but I hated that you always had to have the built in equalizer on, because if you didn't need it you could have some pedals stronger than others. I wish it had a foot pedal for more control over the effects. All in all it is a very useful and versatile pedal. // 9

RP50 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on november 22, 2007

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Ease of Use: This pedal is remarkable. I had one of these over a year ago, but the band I was in at the time, did'nt care for it. They said it was too sterile. Well you know what? F--k them. This is the shit. I was using a RP150 up until a month ago, and I think that this one has a better sound to it, plus it's more easier to set up. I play all day with this pedal and never get tired of it. // 10

Sound: I am using my trusty 2006 Fender MIM 60th anniversary strat, along with my 1997 American made, Peavey Studio pro. Like I had mentioned in the previous column, I had one of these last year, and at the time, I was using a Fender Princeton 65, and now, there's no comparison. This, along with my strat and the Peavey, make for the best combination that I have ever heard. I only use around 5-6 settings, which is all I need. The effects are great, and sound wonderful. Of course, it's also how you set your amp up, and what type guitar you are using. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used this on several gigs in the past, and have never had any problems with it what'soever. I do not need a back-up with this. None at all. Like I always tell people, when you have good gear, you take care of it, and it'll take care of you. I read where people were complaining about this not being durable, well, if you stomp on it like a f--king retard, of course it's gonna break. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and '80s hair metal, and this pedal is perfect for what I play. I have it set up where I get a nice shimmering Fender type clean tone with a lil' bit of chorus, and then for my distortion, I used the Marshall amp setting up all the way, along with some chorus, compression, and a lil' noise gate, which gives me that brown sound. Thsi just rocks! // 10

RP50 Reviewed by: kuoleman enkeli, on february 09, 2009

Ease of Use: This is an awesome petal. I use it every time I play. The sounds and effects this little petal creates are insane. There are two buttons that your use to scroll through the settings it has. The first 40 settings are customizable and the next 41-80 settings are the default settings that the RP50 comes with. I have no sound problems at all when I use it and I usually just use the default settings because they have everything that I usually need. The manual that is included with it tells about all the features and uses of the RP50. On top of everything else it has a tuner built in. It's the only guitar effect I use because it has everything in it. It's really awesome. // 7

Sound: I use a small Fender amp and a Synster Custom Schecter Guitar. I also play my '85 Fender with it alot. It is really loud on the 40 and 80 settings. You can change the 40 but not the 80. Basically when you use the 80 setting it gets louder as you play. The effects always sound great, the only problems are the delay settings which are kind of hard to figure out and set with the right tone. When I use it I almost always am able to get the same or get very close to sound of just about any artist. You can edit the settings to fit better if they are off or make a totally unique setting. The distorion effects are great, the delay and flanger effects are difficult to get the right timing for a certain tone though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is definately dependable but if you need to change from one tone to another quickly, adjust the settings and put them next to eachother so you don't have to stop and search when you're on stage or practing. I have used this at a gig without a backup and it worked perfectly. // 7

Overall Impression: I usually play rock and alternative but I have played some blues riffs and scales with the RP50.It is a good match for rock and blues. I have been playing for seven years and started using it the last couple of years. It was my first guitar effect petal and I haven't had to buy another one because of the amazing effects it has.I wish I would have asked how to change some effects because some are hard to understand even with the manual. If I lost it I would probably try to find it and if I couldn't I would buy a one of the more advanced models that DigiTech has. I love the tuner that is built in. I don't have to unplug my guitar and connect to a different tuner, I just play the string and tune it. My favorite feature is the distorion features. All of them are awesome. The only thing I wish it had was an expression petal, but some ot the other models DigiTech has have them I just couldn't afford the more advanced ones. // 7

RP50 Reviewed by: toyboxmonster, on march 19, 2009

Price paid: C$ 69

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store

Ease of Use: The RP-50 comes with 40 programmable patches and 40 factory presets. The presets, of course, are useless. Unfortunately, no matter what you do, the programmable patches are too. There can be no good sound produced by this unit. Several hours of tweaking it and playing with it has proved that time and again. As with every DigiTech Multi-effects processor, there are aggravating gaps in sound when switching between presets, which means that effects cannot be turned changed during a song. Editing patches isn't complicated but it's tedious and annoying past belief. I had owned a Zoom G-1 prior to this one and it was by far an easier product to use. Having to click through each setting takes very long and is impractical for testing all the available options. There is a manual, but it does nothing more than to state the obvious. To someone Who is inexperienced with multi-effects processors, the manual would be utterly useless. // 1

Sound: The RP-50 has the weakest, most synthetic tone I ever head coming out of any effects pedal. Stuck between any guitar and amp, it will suck the instrument's tone and emit only a vague, digital imitation of it. The effects are all weak and tinny, and most of them are utterly unuseable. Most multi-effect distortions are bad, but there are usually a couple of useable amp models among the bunch. Not on the RP-50. Everything sounds fake, fake, fake. The delays are too short and choppy, and the reverb simply doesn't have enough presense to be called a reverb. Not a single modulation effect comes even close to passability; the flanger is out of tune and metallic sounding, the phaser has no sweep to speak of. The chorus either does nothing to your signal or completely de-tunes it; there is no medium ground here.The compressor only causes the already-thin sound of the RP-50 to become even thinner and more synthetic. As if that wasn't enough, this thing emit's unspeakable noise when used with single-coils. The only way to achieve any good sound out of this unit is by leaving it in your closet. // 1

Reliability & Durability: I don't particularly care for the build of any DigiTech units, especially when it comes to their multi-effect processors, simply because of how much of the unit is made of plastic. I didn't have the RP-50 in my possession for very long, so I'm not the best judge of it's reliability, but the build seems no worst (nor less mediocre) than any other DigiTech multi-effects processor. I had no trouble with it during the brief period of time over which I owned this unit. // 7

Overall Impression: I can't stand being completely critical of anything. I always try to mention both downfalls and redeeming features of each piece of equipment I review, recommend, or warn against. The problem with the RP-50 is that it has no redeeming features. I play ambient rock, and this pedal's tinny, artificial sound failed to produce anything near a pleasing, layered sound. It was equally unable to produce any sort of useable tones for any other genres, be it blues, metal, or even punk (which really doesn't take much). I've since owned and sold a DigiTech RP-300A and have converted to single-effect stompboxes. Prior to owning this pedal, I used a Zoom G1, which was by far a superior product. With trails between presets, better operability and less synthetic a tone (and for exactly the same price), the Zoom is a much better buy. I regretted buying the RP-50 almost immediately and sold it for next to nothing. I have No Doubt that this is the worst multi-effects pedal on the market. // 1

RP50 Reviewed by: Preszombie, on september 19, 2003

Ease of Use: This is the best thing I've bought for my guitar. At the price, it can't be beat. This thing is easy to get sound out of. A lot of diverse sounds that each sound unique and cool. Editing is also easy. Simply choose the preset to change, edit it to the extent that you wish and then save the changes to the 24-bit memory chip. The manual explains in detail what each effect is and how it was developed. Overall this thing is simple, yet complicated at the same time. // 10

Sound: I use this with my practice rig which is my Crate GX-10 watt amp. I use my Epiphone Les Paul guitar and the sound is AMAZING. This thing is anything, but noisy unless you wish it to be. The effects always sound great and have good quality. It emulates tons of amp, cabinets and effects which gives this thing a wide array of sounds. Each sound and effect is also studio quality. The Rectifier setting with delay is the best preset setting in my opinion. It sounds amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I feel that I can definately depend on this pedal. It feels nice and sturdy and none of the buttons feel cheap. This pedal is definately durable. I wouldn't use it without a backup though. I think that it is never a good idea to use equipment live without a backup if it can be helped. // 10

Overall Impression: This effects processor is a good match for all kinds of styles of guitar playing. From Metal, rock, Grunge and punk to acoustic and melodic playing. The only problem with this effects processor is that it drains the hell out of batteries. You will most certaintly be better off buying the DC power-cord for it unless it doesn't bother you to use 6 batteries every 3 weeks. Thats the only problem with it. Overall....this thing is worth $150 dollars and at the current price of $79.99 it can't be beat. // 10

RP50 Reviewed by: ltkenbo, on may 12, 2004

Purchased from: Ted Brown's Music

Ease of Use: The RP-50 is the first pedal I got so far. It get's pretty good sound most of the time. You sometimes have to find that perfect setting accoarding on what type of amp you are using. It has 80 effects storage spots. 1-40 and 41-80 are both the same except you can customize and write over and erase 1-40. 41-80 are preset adn cannot be changed. The manual is pretty self explanatory. I figured out how to use it pretty fast. // 10

Sound: I use and Ibanez GAX-70 and a Fender Frontman Amp. What I don't like is that the effects they have in there already are not equal in noise level so like, you could be on one effect playing something really loud and you try to switch to a different one but its way quieter. This can be adjusted ont he custom memory slots. It works pretty well with my Frontman amp. I got a Deep Purple sounding distortion tone from "Smoke on the Water" and kind of a punky tone. It's sometimes hard to find the right tone, but if you play arround with it enough, sometimes you find the perfect tone. The distortion is basically set by amp models that you choose from on there. Most of the effects are good. It even has a sound that makes your electric sound like an acoustic. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would trust this pedal for a gig. I wouldn't bring a backup cause it has never failed on me. The casing is plasticm but still strong, but I wouldn't stomp on it like one of those little single effects pedals. I used it recently at my school for a Chapel my class did. It even has a built in drum Machine so you can keep in time when you are practicing. You can also use batteries of a plug (not included) to power it. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good pedal. I would recommend this for a starting pedal, since It is cheap, but still provides quite a range of sounds. I usually play, hard rock stuff, or punk. Works for all kinds of music types though. If If it broke, I might buy another one depending unless I had money to buy a better model. I guess also you can plug in an external wah pedal too it, I've never tried it, so I don't know. Overall, this is a farily good deal for the price I paid. // 8

RP50 Reviewed by: d_byrne23, on september 26, 2005

Ease of Use: For me it was very straight forward 80 total storage spots, 40 for you and 40 for factory presets which can't be oversaved. If you aren't sure about what to do the little manual that comes with it is very informative and pretty much deals with any question you could possibly have. // 10

Sound: I use a Squier Tom DeLonge Strat and a Marshall MG15CD amplifier, both weaker products but great gear for beginners as is the RP50. The noise gate feature of the RP50 is great, it does make my amp sound a bit better without the humming or buzzing of some other effects pedals. I usually only use it for delay effects because I have no delay pedal, I do like the delay sound, but for metal it's very hard to get a very good high gain crunchy tone (I use my DOD FX86 for that) but the delay as I said is very strong and clean and it's great. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I couldn't depend on this or gig with it. It's just too small and the pedals are so tiny you could easily miss one of the pedals. I wouldn't even gig with it period, I find this is a great little device to help you figure out what tone or effects you desire for your sound and to then go out and buy the pedal that works to get you that effect. // 6

Overall Impression: It's a good pedal, not meant for gigs, it is great for beginners who want to experiment with various effects etc. Not meant to be gigged but for jamming with your friends its fine as long as you dont need to switch effects during a song, overall great for beginners but I definately wouldn't depend on this multi FX pedal at all. // 7

RP50 Reviewed by: DispsablePuppet, on september 28, 2005

Ease of Use: The RP50 sounds very good when your volume is low, but go above half on your volume knob, and things start to sound really digital. Very good for editing effects easy to configure, and extremely good for lead effects. // 7

Sound: I'm using a Schecter Damien FR with the EMG-HZ pickups in the both positions, and a Marshall 30DFX combo. In the rectifier settings the pedal sounds particularly digital and unauthentic when turned up over half. The wah is weak and the Whammy doesn't hjave incredible range but it works. Chorus, reverb, and delay are exceptional. Not really breathtaking in mimicing other artists more of a make ur own sound deal. My favorite is the noise gate settings. I sometimes turn on the pedal along with my overdriven amp and use the noisegate to control feedback, and the controlled instability is great for pinch harmonics. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Absolutely reliable, never had a problem. If using a battery at a gig always have a backup, but with the power supply this thing would be concrete, but again, just don't expect gorgeous tone at loud levels. // 10

Overall Impression: I play nothing but metal, and this pedal is far more suited for a rocky style. I have been playin for about a year and a half and I play bands like Black Label Society, Metallica (pre 1991), Symphony X, Pantera, and Megadeth. I also own a 10 watt Crate, a BC Rich Bronze Warlock, and a Jackson JS1. I pretty much got what I payed 4. I would definitely buy individualized effects pedal instead, if it were lost or stolen. As a recommendation I have played on a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal, and it is great for metal and blows this processor out of the water. It has an excellent mid scopp and shames this pedal in tone. // 7

RP50 Reviewed by: KnivesIsEvil666, on october 17, 2005

Purchased from: SameDayMusic.com

Ease of Use: The RP50 is a very Pick up and go effectes processor. Creating, editing, storing, and deleting effects is very simple with the four arrow selctors on the top. It comes with 40 factory presets and 40 user presets so it can be used right out of the box. The manual will assist you in knowing the abbreviations for the amp models, noise gate, effects, etc. But after about a week you shouldn't have to refer to it much. // 8

Sound: I use the RP50 on a Behringer GMX210 with a BC Rich Warlock and a Squier Strat. I love thsi pedal because it can take my Strat and give it that humbucker sound that I like. But there are a few problems I have with this pedal. Most of the effects sound awesome except the envelope filter. Another problem I have is with the Wah. I think DigiTech could have beefed up the Wah on this pedal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This processor is very dependable. It can be very versatile when playing at a gig. With the ease of making effects, you can change or edit your settings on the fly. I can and do use thios pedal without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: The RP50 is a good, affordable effects processor for a guitar player on a budget. One downside is that to control wah or Whammy you have to have a separate volume/expression pedal. If this pedal was lost or stolen, I'd buy a new one but I would also take a look at the Behringer X V-AMP before I made a decision. But this pedal is no waste of money. The best thing about to me is the noise gate and silencer functions. Before purchase of this pedal I strongly recommend trying out a X V-AMP by Behringer. But overall, The RP50 will keep youe practicing all night. // 7

RP50 Reviewed by: thetoastinator, on december 27, 2005

Purchased from: Local music store

Ease of Use: This is my first mulit effects pedal, so I'm not sure how it sounds against others, but it sounds pretty good to me. I can get a pretty decent sound out of it. It has anything from distortion, to flange, to wah, to chorus, and about anything else I can think of. The manual was pretty descriptive about how to use it, although I didn't use it that much and just figured it out by myself. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal with four different setups: Wurlitzer 80 watt amp or Line 6 Spider II 30, to the RP 50, to a Crybaby, to either a Fender Strat or a Schecter Gryphon. I mainly use the clean or distortion channel on this pedal. The distortion is kind of noisy if it has a lot of gain unless you use the noise gate or the compressor at a low setting. Also, the signal to the distortion kind of fades if you hold a note to a while. It's not the guitar, becuase if I do it with my Spider II's distortion, it doesn't fade out. I can get a pretty good sound for metal and classic rock, which is mainly what I play. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would definately gig with this pedal. It is built to last, as long as you don't jump on it or something like that. I would use it without a backup and not be worried. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and metal mainly, and this pedal is a pretty good match. I've been playing for about a year now, and my other gear is posted above. If it was stolen or lost, I would probably get the DigiTech Metal Master or Distortion Factory instead, because distortion is the main thing I use with this pedal (although it is pretty fun to play around with the different types of effects sometimes). This was the only pedal that was in my price range at the store that I bought it from, but if I bought it from a bigger store, I may have found something that I liked better. Overall, its a fun little pedal. // 9

RP50 Reviewed by: yallsmama1, on february 13, 2006

Ease of Use: The presets are "ok". If you figure it out, the editing is fairly yousefull. The manual explains everything about editing you need to know. // 8

Sound: I use a Yamaha EG112C and then my RP-50 and an Alesis Wildfire 60 watt amp. It has two or three distortion settings that I like. If you don't like them they are good settings to start making your own from because they have some good effects in them (41, 24). If you have a good ear and figure out what sound you want you can get pretty close to it with the editing effect. The pedal has a fairly good noise gate on it, I like the chromatic tuner, the drum Machine is sorta sucky. Me and my friends make jokes about the drum Machine on it. The reverb effect on here does not impress me. I tried setting it for Bulevard Of Broken Dreams (Green Day) and it wasn't working out. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well you have to take into consideration that it is made out of plastic. A few moths ago one of my editing buttons broke, so it wont let me turn an effect down, only up. If you dont want any seriously awsome effects or somthing and you arent jumping on it instead of stepping on it it may be ok for stage but for serious guitar players, I probably wouldn't recomend it. // 5

Overall Impression: I play a lot of rock music and its pretty versitile for that, you could probly get some really cool blues or jazz sounds out of it. I have been playing for over 3 years now. I would have looked to see if there are better ones (which there are). If it were stoled I would deffenatly upgrade. Most likely to one of the gnx's(made by DigiTech also). I love that i'ts small and it's good for someone just practicing at home and doesnt really wanna go much farther than maybe occasionaly playing at church or somthing. I really hate that you have to scroll through and like in the middle of a song it is vertually impossible to have enough time to go to a solo or chorus setting very fast. I didn't really compare much cause I got it right after I started. I wish it had a computer interface to record with (RP-400 does) but whatever. Not for serious players. Perfect for begginers. // 8

RP50 Reviewed by: guitarslave07, on february 24, 2006

Purchased from: Flashback Guitars

Ease of Use: Unfourtunatly I'm gonna have to score low on this one. The RP50 is a great effects pedal. If you can learn how to use it. I repeatedly had to check the manual to first learn all the different controls. to this day I still haev to check it when inputing different variations of effects (I've had it for about 5 months). There are 40 preset factory effects already programmed on this baby, and about 25 of them sound pretty good. You can also preset over these effect with your own, but there are 40 other channels you can choose to do that on. // 7

Sound: One word - amazing. I have used mutiple different effects pedals in my 9 years of playing and I have never seen anything like this. There is a butt-load of different amp models and the effects are great. Unfourtunatly there is only buttons to control your effects, instead of knobs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: If I was Jimi Hendrix I probably would buy a bigger, better effects box, but since I arent and I only play gigs, I can always depends on it to kick my effects when I need it. I've repeatedly dropped, kick (sometimes drop-kicked) and actualy ran it over with a 4-wheeler. This sucker won't break. // 9

Overall Impression: I play classics like Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Nazareth, up to new hard rockers like Disturbed, System Of A Down, Black Label Society. I play various types of blues, and a little bit of John Mayer-like acoustic rock. If my RP50 was stolen I'd first kick whoever stole its ass, but then I would probably buy a better box. A major downside of this is that it doesn't have a built in expression pedal. It does have a port where you can plug one in, but if you don't have one your sol. // 8

RP50 Reviewed by: IncubusEric, on may 08, 2006

Ease of Use: DigiTech's new RP50 Modeling Guitar Processor requires hardly any adjustments necessary for a good, clean sound. You just plug it in (or use batteries if no outlet is available) and press the up or down pedal for the next effect. Simple design is good for beginners and studio quality effects complete the package. Due to its simplicity, there is not a wide range of editing options and although there are 80 different effects, it is sometimes frustrating when you cannot get the exact sound you want. The manual is easy to understand and explains every aspect of this product. I would highly recommend this product for both the beginner and advanced player. I am rating this product as a 9 because operation is easy and simple and editing options are not necessary for me. // 9

Sound: I am using this with a Fender Stratocaster Affinity Series and a Traynor Reverb Mate 40 amp. I am not sure how it sounds with other systems but DigiTech says that it is very versatile. There is absolutely no noise coming from the Machine itself when playing. Every single effect is studio quality and they always sound great, regardless of settings. There is also a built in tuner which is engaged by pressing and holding both pedals simultaneously, when out of tuner mode pressing the pedals at the same time again but not holding them bypasses the RP50 for clean, unprocessed guitar tone. It also lets you create your own presets which can be saved and engaged whenever you want. An incredible feature of this product is the built-in drum Machine. It has 30 different drum beats that can be played at any tempo or volume. Getting the sound you want of your favourite artists is very easy but once again limited editing options are some times annoying. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Designed by guitar fanatics hiding in the rock'n'roll underground of Salt Lake City, I am pretty convinced it is dependable. I mean it did fall down 20 metal steps outside my appartment and suffered no more than a flesh wound. Plus high quality products from DigiTech is what I have come to expect so unless you have crappy old cords, I think that you are safe for a sick gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I play some lighter metal and classic rock tunes and I have found almost every effect on the RP50 is used in one song or another so yes, it is a great match. When I was 15 I bought the guitar I have now and have been playing for rughly a year. Since I have bought and Ibanez Acoustic guitar and have a smaller travelling Fender amp. There is nothing I do not like about this product so far and I have been using it for 6 months everyday so its a great product. I'd be pretty pissed if it was lost or something but I would probably buy the next model up from this one (DigiTech RP80 or DigiTech RP200A) as it has a built-in expression pedal and more effects and editing opetions. I love everything about this product and my favourite feature is by and far the drum Machine. I chose this product because at the tender age of 16 I dont exactly have the means for a $500 effects system and at $100 its an amazing deal. Nothing I wish it had, its got everything I need. Great product. // 10

RP50 Reviewed by: tanner., on may 25, 2006

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Ease of Use: This effects pedal costed more than my amp, but it was worth it. you can get sounds of 10 different amps, reverb, wah, delay, equalizer, noise gate, and all the effects you could ask for. It also has a built in drum Machine. you can also store over 70 presets, in case you have a song that has lots of vibrato, then you quikly go to a solo with wah and delay. the manual has all the meanings of the effects codes, which are hard to understand, like H12. // 10

Sound: I use an Epiphone special 2 and a crappy Traynor Guitar Mate. this thing makes my amp sound good. It can make my amp sound like a british stack or a '78 Marshall Master if I want it to. All the effects sound great, and you can choose how much you want of them through 10 settings. A9 is a lot of autoya. It can make you sound like any artist you want, including the likes of Pink Floyd. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have total Faith in this little thing. It always givs a good sound, you can switch around the settings while your on stage, it's great. The one bad thing about it is that the original presets don't sound very good (death metal with noise gate, delay, wah, reverb and auto), so basicly you have to go through every single preset and save them all with good sounding stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, including some floyd, so this is all I need. It is all around great, you can play anykind of music, you have enough effects to blow your mind. It has more stuff than an amp and 10 effects pedals. I just wish it had a wah pedal built in, like the more expensive DigiTech RP80, which is actually a bit better. I love it, get one. // 10

RP50 Reviewed by: AJGgtrst, on june 07, 2006

Ease of Use: Bought it brand new, unfortunately the sales guy couldn't find the actual power adaptor for it. Luckily he got me a free universal adaptor for it. Plays great, is my one and only pedal for practice at low volumes. Editing the sound is just so easy, manual is okay but I learned to fiddle with it on my own. // 9

Sound: Mostly play it through my Peavey 10 watt transtube practice amp. With the settings I have on the eq plus the settings I have on the amp I found so many sounds that came out of this thing. All good sounds too. It's able to pretty much go from Metallica (w/ the Rectifier amp setting) to the classic Marshall fuzz distortion. Even found me a nice bluesy distortion a la SRV, almost sounds like a Bluesdriver to me. Good mods, not enough control for the flanger, chorus etc. options. Good reverb, great echo delay (at least for a simulator) Has some nice extra effects (the wowow effect I call it)that is fun to play around with. You've got about 40 banks to save all your settings on. Even has a drum track section which allows about 20 saved drum tracks, it's easy to play around w/ the bpm as well. The unfortunate thing I'd have to say about the drum part is that, when playing along w/ the drums, and you flip onto another bank, the drum resets to 1st beat. Which throws me off timing but other than that it's fine. The distortion gets muddy in loud volumes. Luckily I still have my stomp boxes for that. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Already broke on me (the plastic buttons already broke on me so I had to open it up and put tape on the back) but I managed to fix it with a little bit of McGyver'ing. I wouldn't use it for gigs, has a tendency of getting muddy at higher volumes. I used it at the rehearsal space once, and the rectifier distortion got so bassy and too muddy I had to revert to my old stomp boxes. // 4

Overall Impression: I play hard rock and it's a pretty dependable pedal for home use and maybe even recording. Has an output jack w/ the availability of volume control would go into a mixer no problem straight to my computer for recording. I use it on those late nites where I can't sleep and just wanna play guitar, luckily the output jack can be converted into an earphone jack which helps keep the place quiet. I have yet to use it for gigging, though since I already have my GE-7 I'm tempted to use this as another pre-amp/eq pedal to get even more of that boost for solos. Though I still have yet to try that, I will get back to you on how that turns out. If I lost it or was stolen I more than likely would try to find on secondhand, definitely not new. As I've stated it has already broken on me so dependability has gone down a notch. But for sure I wouldn't pay full price for it again. // 7

RP50 Reviewed by: XxDiStUrBeDxX, on july 05, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: It's easy to get a good sound out of these effects. The manual tells all about what the effects do and tell you the names of the presets. It's a little conufusing since you can adjust the treble, mids, and bass on the effects as well as on your amp. So you have to play around with that a little bit. // 9

Sound: I was using a Peavey Audition 110 and a Fender champ 15. Basically both amps sounded exactly the same. Only the Peavey audition gave a fuller sound since it was a bigger speaker. It's noise gate makes heavy distortion easy to play without all the buzz. The other effects that I like are the flanger and the chorus could be better but it's worth it for only $50. The distortion actually sounds pretty good. I wish it had more gain but it's does an ok job at it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had these pedals for over a year and I've had no troubles with it. I don't know about gigging with it but it might do the job. I'd rather use a better amp and use the distortion channel on the amp. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal. These suited me for a while and I was happy with them. If these were stolen I probably would buy a Boss MT-2 pedal to patch up for my Peavey Audition 110 crappy distortion. If you're amp sounds like crap and you want to make it sound better but spend little to no money, this is the way to go. You will be impressed with the sound it puts out and all the effects it has. But the more you play the guitar you'll start to want something better (the point I'm at). I think that goes for every guitarist though. // 8

RP50 Reviewed by: rangeriggy, on november 27, 2006

Purchased from: amazon.com

Ease of Use: Not too bad to use. The DigiTech website has user posted settings for getting some good sounds out of it. You won't sound exactly like 'Zack Wylde' or 'Jimi Hendrix fuzz' (just a few of the sounds) but you can get close. The unit takes some fooling around to get the full useage, and the controls are not immediately intuitive. // 8

Sound: Guitars are a crappy 20 buck eBay special (Ibanez RG copy on the body, but nothing else like Ibanez)with a SSH config and a Fender MIM strat with S/S/S config. The "pickup modelers" do a decent job of pulling hum out of the strat's single coils, without muddying up the sound. The amp modeling is decent too. I use a small Marshall practice amp to jam with just me and my internal 'backing tracks' and I can achieve tones from hard crunch to freeeaky psychadelic (phaser and reverb, too cool with jazz chord progressions). If I had a favorite artist, I would probably be able to get his (or her) sound approximated. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Made of plastic. When I'm pretending to be Tom Morello ('specially when Bulls on Parade is rockin') I'd better not jump on it. Too much crunch. But, should hold up to a beginner/intermediate or garage band Status. If you gig, then get serious and get gear made for the stage. // 5

Overall Impression: As for style, I'll play anything once. It is versitile enough to grab most popular sounds, and maybe even hash out one of your own. I picked the guitar back up about a year ago after a long haitus. I've had BLS, Seether, Segovia, Vivaldi, Disturbed and Slayer in the CD player this week, and I try to play them all. For the price, hey, get the thing. It won't stand up to rough treatment, so play nice. // 7

RP50 Reviewed by: epicold, on february 05, 2007

Ease of Use: You can get an array of easy to use/premade, and editable effect. Easy settings toggles, You can practically adjust any effect to you preferance. There are alot of setting to go through, so finding the right combo will litrally take you threw hundreds of combinations. As for hard to understand codings like "H1," they are all coded and explained in the manual that it comes with. The amp presets are also very nice. // 9

Sound: I use this pedal along with my Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and a Fender Stage112SE amp. The chourus settions and delays are an amazing combo. But there is a major flaw for some hardcore metal dist, there's isnt much of a crunch going on despite many trys at trying to get a decent dist. out it, since I have a DigiTech Death Metal pedal, I guess I can let this slide. But the Overdrive settings are great for the old rockness you want. for example AC/DC type Overdrive. I love the preset volume options, where you can have one quieter channel than the other. It's a fun feature. // 9

Reliability & Durability: But like as seen with most DigiTech RP series, the pedals are not reliable at all, I would've choosen to gone with a more durable stomp set-up. If you hit it too hard, you might bend off the switch from the circut board. The overal design of the RP series doesnt't impress me one bit. compared to thier other pedals like the deathmetal and such, this combo of plastic and alumininum is really reliable. I'd definatly bring a back up system, // 5

Overall Impression: I play stuff a lot of different types of music that deal with clean and distorion. so I like the multiple effects that suits my needs. I've been playn for a little over 10 years now and I like the various effect this pedal (amoung with all the other RP models) has to offer, a lot of effects at a cheap price. To get my puchy dist that I want, I've mentioned my DigiTech Death Metal Pedal. I also have a Boss Super Chorus and an Ibenez SmashBox. I've compared this to the Zoom type pedals but this one is far more versitile and better lets you adjust your setting to a speficic sound you want. // 8

RP50 Reviewed by: BGSM, on june 28, 2007

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: A few people have said that it's hard to program, but I disagree. It can be touchy at times (due to the small buttons, etc.), but I think it's easy to write and put in other peoples patches. The manual is easy to understand, and if you've got a 'guitar tech' background, you'll get everything straight away. You can of course get awful sounds from it, but in about 2 minutes you can create an original, great sound! // 9

Sound: I am using a Vintage Samick Flash, with decent headphones (if not, a small 15w Silvertone amp). The sound I get on headphones (and recording onto a computer) is clean and crisp, and sounds great. On a good quality amp, an RP50 would sound great. Targeting a particular sound can take a bit of work, so don't expect to be able to sound exactly like Tom Morello or Joe Satriani straight away. All the effects sound good, but leave you wanting a bit more. I didn't use an expression pedal with mine, but controlling the Wah and other effects would be great. One problem that I do have is switching effects. Although 0.5 of a minute doesn't seem like much, it could ruin a gig switching between patches and hearing awful guitar silence. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The RP50 has received mixed reviews, but I believe that it's a very dependable unit if you take good care of it. It wouldn't last too long if you stomp on the buttons, which aren't meant to be treated badly. I wouldn't gig without a backup, such as a few stomp boxes. I have never had a single problem with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I mainly play rock, like Joe Satriani, Led Zeppelin and Metallica, but I like to delve into different sounds, such as Steely Dan and Stairway to Heaven. I've been playing for about 4 years, and this is my first pedal. I bought it second hand off eBay, and am very happy with it! If I chose a different product, I think I'd take an RP300. A huge reason I got an RP50 is because of the price. I could of bought two Behringer stomp boxes for the price of this, and you can tell which one I'd prefer. There are some useless things, like the drum feature (which can hardly be heard when playing a song) and the tuner (which wobbles so much you can't tune with it). If they got rid of those features, I think it'd add to it. There is an decent community of RP50 owners that make their own patches, which adds to the use of my RP50 immensely. The only flaws I can find in it are fixed in later models, so for those looking for great effects on a tighter budget, you cannot look past the RP50! // 9

RP50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 23, 2007

Ease of Use: The DigiTech RP50 is very easy to use, IMO you don't have to read the manual to figure out it's basic use. Editing patches is really easy, you could even find patches on DigiTech's website which is cool because you could also request for some patches. I got a manual when I bought it, it's really easy to follow, unfortunately I lost my manual but it's no big deal because on their site you'll find a manual for RP50. also when I bought it there were built-in effects which is really cool because all you have to do is find a effect you like and then edit the effect on how you want the sound to be and you could already get the sound you like. // 10

Sound: I use a crappy Century amp, Yamaha pacifica 112/ Ibanez GAX70 with it. it's noisy when you use distortion or Overdrive but that's normal; although I'm kinda confused because even though I use the noise gate it still makes unwanted noise when I turn the distortion/overdrive on, I dunno if it's my guitar's fault or if the noise is because of my amp. I'm not sure about the sound because this is my first multi effects but the features are great and I could get the sound I like because of the patches I saw on DigiTech's site. I couldn't get my favorite artist sound out of it but atleast when I edit the patches I almost sound like them. I mosly play the music of Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Vai, John Mayer, SRV, Eric Clapton, John Petrucci etc. there are 11 types of amp models which is great because whatever your genre is you'll get the sound you like. All the effects are good there are different effects in it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: the RP50 is very reliable and durable as long as you take care of it and as long as you don't abuse it. Yes use it everyday and it's condition is still mint. I have already dropped it 2 times but it's still working great. There no problem with the quality since it's DigiTech. I'll definitely use it in a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play any kind of music and I love it specially the acoustic simulator; the DigiTech RP50 definitely match the different genres I play. I've been playing for 1 year already I own a Yamaha Pacifica 112, a century amp, an Ibanez GAX70, and a Squier acoustic guitar. before I bought this I wanted to buy lots of Boss pedals but that would cost me a fortune so I decided to buy a multi effects instead. I'll probably buy it again because it's the only Multi effects pedal I could afford but if I had more money I would buy a Boss me50, this is a good multi fx but I'm not yet contented. I love everything about it, the features are fair for it's price. I also thought of buying a Zoom 505ii but I chose this because DigiTech's quality is way better than Zoom.. I wish it had this and that but if I wanted more complex feature I'd but a higher end DigiTech modeling processor. // 9

RP50 Reviewed by: Rhythm Hippy, on october 25, 2007

Purchased from: George's Music

Ease of Use: The DigiTech RP50 is the simplest a multi-effects pedal can get. It has duel pedals, each going in a different direction in the line of 80 sounds. It also has a drum Machine and a tuner, which can be acessed easily by simply pressing a button. The simple 13 LED tuner that is just like any other auto-tuner, but electronic. The drum Machine (awesome) has 30 different drum lines, and can be used while you are playing your guitar. // 9

Sound: I am currently using the pedal with my Fender Strat, and the sound is perfect, it has any sound you can possibly want to get out of your guitar. From wah, to heavy, to a light shimmery Pink Floyd sound, the RP50 has it all. It is especially fun to play Smells Like Teen Spirit (by Nirvana) because it has pretty much the exact sound you need, from the beginning right into the in-your-face kick of the heavy distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The RP50 is a great multi-effects pedal for screwing around at home, or just jammin' with your bro's. I wouldn't use it at a gig, because it is made entireley of hard plastic, and is small compared to the other big boys made by DigiTech. It could take a bruise or two; if you dropped it on the carpet or shove it out of the way with your foot, it'd be nothing but if you stepped on it, you just flushed 50 bucks down the toilet. // 7

Overall Impression: I play nothing but good ol' fashin rock 'n' roll, and my RP50 aint failed me yet- any sound I've wanted, that pedal gave me to me. Also, the pedal is relatively cheap, considering the screwed up prices out there like 300-400 bucks. Like we've got that kinda spendin' change danglin around in our pockets. I searched every store I've seen to look for a pedal with 30+ effects, and this is what I came up with. It is good for three style of music, rock, metal, and blues. If your into these genres, buy the DigiTech RP50. // 9

RP50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 26, 2007

Ease of Use: As with anything in this category there is a learning curve. It's not a toaster, it has more than one button, you have to learn what each one does in relation to your equiptment and your playing style. Once you get to know it, it's pretty easy. Take the time to play with it is my suggestion. There are lots of combinations available. Lots of info on different websites, check them out. The manual isn't great. However, sound is so subjective and versitile that it is difficult to put it into a manual. I had more luck just playing around with it than going through the manual. However, do read the manual. It will give you the basics and allow you to touch up on your foriegn language skills. // 8

Sound: The sound is what you make it. Some combinations work and some don't. I did notice that there is a huge difference between the different amplifiers and headphone setups that I use. A specific setting that sounds great on the headphones sounds horrible in an amplifier. Be prepared to play around with different settings if you use different amplifiers. I have some saved settings for playing through a Session Man tube amp into a box of 4, 12 inch Roland speakers and different settings for all of the assorted practice amps and headphones. I think it would be possible to get close to the sound you want out of just about any combo of guitar/amp you have. You may have to "settle" for a sound in some cases but if you fiddle around you should get close enough to be happy. I do want to mention here that you are "settling" when you buy a unit like this. It does not sound like a specific amplifier or effects pedal because it isn't. When you purchase something like this you are doing it because you don't want (or in my case can't afford) 12 to 15 different amplifiers and a string of effects pedals. However, I have to say that, to my ears, you can come pretty close. Play with it and don't get frustrated, your sound is in there somewhere. Also, the drum tracks cannot be programed. You can change the tempo but that is it. You are stuck with what is pre-programmed into the Machine. Personally there is only about 3 or 4 of these that I like. Very few of them sound good through the headphones but they do sound better through an amp (no big surprise). These tracks are ok for practicing timing and such but there really isn't much there for an entire song. In reality, considering the price and the focus of this unit, looking for programmable drum tracks may be a little greedy. They are a nice touch, I view them as an extra. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's plastic. Don't stomp on it. If you jump off an amplifier onto the pedal you will destroy it. I've had mine for about 4 years and it is showing signs of decay. The "edit" button is gone (I think the dog may have eaten it but I'm not sure) so I have to use a pen to push the Switch on the card inside. I'm not sure what would be expected for reliability but considering it has had about 4 years of (almost) daily use and it's still going seems ok to me. Depend on it without a backup? Nope. If someone stands on it, it's done. It would not take too much abuse. If you are looking at switching effects on and off and all over the place then I'd look somewhere else. However, if you are careful and only keeping one sound on it may be ok. My rating in this area is low because I don't think this would work in the Live performance area. I use mine in my basement. I have control over Who is around (if I don't like you I kick you out of my house). Performing Live opens up a whole slew of issues that you can't control. It's great in a basement but on stage I would look elsewhere. If I played on a stage then I would have a backup for everything, including the drummer. // 6

Overall Impression: I actually enjoy this pedal. I like to play just about every style of music depending on my mood. A pedal like this is great for that because you can change styles very quickly without having to pay oodles of money for different equiptment. Don't compare it to the "real" thing because the sounds are models not the real pedals/amps. Once again, if you want a specific sound with a Marshall stack and a Boss distortion, buy those. If you are looking at getting a variety of sounds without spending a fortune this is a great little unit. I'm hoping to upgrade to the 150 or 250. I mainly use mine with the headphones for practice and, to me, this is where it really comes into it's own. Please note that it does take the unit a little time to change settings. By this I mean that if you have an acoustic sound and want to change to an electric sound by using one of the pedals half way through the song, it will take some time. The song better be slow. I think that something like this is designed more for one specific sound for an entire song though. Just be prepared to wait a couple of beats before you can make noise again (in 4/4 I'd say you are pretty much out of it for a half measure if you are changing sounds on this unit). I have a Boss delay pedal and I notice that it will kick in almost immediately but this pedal does take some time to change. // 9

RP50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 28, 2007

Ease of Use: It is extremely easy to get a good sound out of this pedal. It is a neat and easy to program effects unit with an OK handbook which explains all of the abbreviations used in the programming. This thing makes my Crate sound a lot more professional than it is. There are 40 effects that you can change and the last 40 you can not. The presets are very nice and have a good tone. // 10

Sound: I use it with a Crate practice amp and an Epiphone Les Paul Special II guitar. It is not noisy because you can use it's built in noise gate to reduce noise and hum. The effects always work and sound great, as I do not rely on batteries. It comes with an adapter. You can get sounds from Slash, Breaking Benjamin, and Avenged Sevenfold, among others. From oldies to metal to rockabilly. All of the effects are strong and none lack IMO. The flange is very nice, but phasing is just a little psychedelic for my taste. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is pretty sturdy and I would definitely use it for a gig, but it is made of plastic. Any shows I play are small, as I am not extremely good at playing. Stress on extremely. It is overall pretty reliable and I like it a lot. I can depend on it not breaking, which is good. // 9

Overall Impression: It matches all styles of music almost, giving a pretty standard variety of effects, even an acoustic simulator. I have been playing a year and a half but this is good even for pros. I know a guy Who has been playing for his whole life and he is about 50 and he loves his. He uses it through his Marshall Micro stack (the big one). I would buy another one if it was stolen, for sure! I love everything about it and I just wish it had song presets but that can me a hassle. I like to mix distortion and tremolo. you can hear this effect in the beginning to Breaking Benjamin's "Polyamorous" I love my RP50! // 9

RP50 Reviewed by: Tele Echoes, on december 13, 2007

Purchased from: Bellone's Music

Ease of Use: I purchased this specific pedal about 4 years ago, and haven't used it at all since about 2 months into owning it. It's currently collecting dust at a friends house (not sure which one). I felt it necessary to make you aware of the fact that it was that long ago. I was in grade 10, I had started playing in the summer, it was my birthday, and I wanted a lot of effects at an affordable price. The DigiTech RP50 fill the multiple effects part pretty well. The RP50 was new and it came with a manual, although I had to purchase a wall plug for it, which sucked. It's really easy to get the best sounds the pedal has to offer, since there are 50 different pre-sets you can use, while there's a bunch more you can edit, or make a comlpetely new sound. I found the effects editing and building extremely frustrating and the set-up involved with that part confusing and I grew tired as a result. // 7

Sound: At the time, I was using the Yamaha Pacifica 112 through a Fender FM15. I know the amp wasn't ideal, but let's face it, this pedal isn't going to give you an awesome guitar sound. It doesn't feel like you're playing an electric guitar. It feels fake, and it cheapens the appeal of playing guitar. I'm sure you can emulate several of your favorite artists out of the RP50, although good luck doing it without tone, since the pedal will suck it right out of the signal. I guess the chorus/flanger/phaser were ok. The acoustic setting is neat. Don't like any of the distortions and stuff. The fact that the signal disappears for a second in between effects would absolutely ruin you if you were performing Live. This is really a practice pedal at best. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It still works, despite feeling like you purchased the cheapest, most plastic piece of crap in history. It looks alright from a picture or even from a distance. It's a really cheap product though. I saw my friend using it a few weeks ago, and it appears to still be in complete working order. // 7

Overall Impression: I play 60s and 70s rock and am a big fan of blue rock, and a avid lover of guitar playing that has a warm tone and feel. I have been playing for over 4 years now, and if I could go back to the day I purchased it, I would slap my younger self, then tell HIM (me) to buy a Vox Wah instead. Considering I've pretty much given it to my friend, I wouldn't ever consider purchasing it again. I loved the idea of that many effects. I hated the fact that it left me feeling like I had made a deal with the Devil that had gone horribly wrong. I've heard Zoom or something makes alright processors, and maybe the new DigiTech line of these things are of a higher quality, but this is nothing more than garbage in todays guitat market. For beginners only! // 6

RP50 Reviewed by: judas_priest66, on january 26, 2008

Purchased from: A friend/bandmate

Ease of Use: This is not exactly a beginner pedal. It takes some getting used to and experience with effects (Ex. noise gate, flange, chorus, digital delay, analog delay, etc.) but isn't bad once you get the hang of it. Besides that, it's pretty basic, you hit the next switch and one of eighty effects comes on and you hit the tenny drum button for the drum Machine. // 7

Sound: I'm using this pedal through a Kustom 10 watt practice amp and a strat knockoff, and it sounds okay. I actually don't mind the distortion, but when you max it it gets quite noisy. Hard to find band-related settings. Not for playing anything heavier than classic rock in my opinion. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's made of cheap plastic and would probably break if it fell out of a gig bag on a sidewalk. I would not play a gig with it because the little footswitches are too small for me and the sound is not gig-worthy. I would not trust this thing at all but it would be nice if you pre-set the effects before a show so you could go from one to the next but too much work I say. // 4

Overall Impression: Fun little pedal to play around with, I use it with a DigiTech Hot Rod Distortion and the two do not mesh well at all. If it were lost I might buy another one but I would probably just save up and buy an RP 250 because this thing lacks a footpedal which makes the wah useless. I've been playing 2 1/2 years and this thing is fun to mess around with, but not a gig pedal at all. I really enjoyed the 80 setting slots and the drum Machine was kinda cool and helped keep rhythm and all. I play rhythm guitar and bass in a band and this pedal could not keep up with what we play (classic rock, blues, punk). Although, for the price, you can't go wrong if you're a begginer guitarist looking for some light distortion and a cool pedal to mess around with, although, I'd suggest the 250 for intermediate or above guitarists. // 6

RP50 Reviewed by: Ian hawkins, on april 18, 2008

Ease of Use: I love this thing. I created a few my own effects fairly easily (takes maybe 10 mins) and now rely on it for gigs. Manual is very imformative and easy to understand. Very easy to use. One pedal goes up the other down the system of numbers. Both by-passes the pedal and hitting either one after that will take you back. Hold both and you get to the tuner (good for just tuning up during practice, but for a gig use a proper tuner). // 8

Sound: I use a Roland gcr-405 amp with a Washburn mg 24 guitar with this pedal and they seem alright. I was having some problems with the volume up really high on the pedal, but if you keep the pedal volume below 25 you'll be alright. Lots of the pre-programmed effects sound bad, but once you've made your own they sound great. I didn't really like the flanger but others might. The auto does seem very pointless except as a novelty. I normally only use it on the clean amp channel but some effects sound alright with the amp distortion on. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I rely on this thing for gigs with good results. It does need lots of batteries though (6 AAAs) they last a while. Once I get a power supply unit I'll be alright. The only reason I don't have a backup is I don't play gigs often, so it's not worth it. I have made a slight scratch to the outer panelling but seems fine. Very sturdy. This pedal has been dropped, stood on and used loads. Still works perfectly. // 6

Overall Impression: I play Balck Sabbath, Offspring and AC/DC, Motorhead and generally hard rock, this thing handles it well. I've been using it solidly for 4 months wish I had it earlier. Like I said I didn't buy this, I got it for christmas from my uncle (not a guitar player). I guess he made a lucky guess. If I lost this I would probably get another because of the price. If money was no object I would get a different pedal though. // 8

RP50 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on october 15, 2008

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Ease of Use: These pedals aren't exactly rocket science if you know what I mean. This is my 2nd review for these only because I went and bought a Brand New one 2 months ago to replace my old one which I had sold only because we needed the cash at the time. This does come with a manual but I've been using these since 2002 so, I have setting these down to a science and therefore don't need the manual. If you know what you're doing and have your amp set up just right, then you can get a great sound out of these contrary to what the know it alls have to say! // 9

Sound: I am using my ever so trusty 2006 MIM Fender Standard Strat and my 1997 USA made, Crate GX-65 combo which seem to be a much better mix than my old Peavey Studio Pro 112. Like I mentioned above, if you know how to set these up just right, you can get the effects to sound really great! I only use the 1st 6 settings anyway, the rest I just leave them be. I like the Marshall stack setting usually on 6 with some noise gate and a slight compression with a little bit of chorus and reverb. I'm easy to please and that's what does it for me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have been gigging with these extensively since 2002 and have never, I repeat, never have encountered any problems with these at all, none! These are totally dependable providing you take proper care of them and don't go apeshit stomping on them with your full body weight. After all, these are made of plastic and not metal, so treat them carefully and they'll last you a long time. I have never needed a backup with these at all and never will. // 9

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and 80's hair metal and these are a perfect amtch for my style of music. I've been playing for over 36 years and I wish that these were first around when I started playing all those years ago. They would've saved me a shitload of cash on pedals back then. These are only $50.00 Brand New and you can find them used for around $30-$40.00 on E-Bay or Craig's List, so for that price, you are saving a ton of money on pedals and batteries alone. These are worth the money and sound great. // 10

RP50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 08, 2009

Ease of Use: The RP50 is by no means, easy to use by just plugging it in and pushing the pedals and looking for the "right" effect. Even after reading the booklet, I had some trouble with it. It takes a good week of tweaking to get use to it. Even wiping out some of the really crappy effects is a must to get use to it if you're new to this stuff. I've had mine for about a year, and I've been tweaking tweaked effects to my preferred playing styles. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Dean DBD T (a 2007 model without the gross decal on the V) and a Line6 Spider 3. Yes, very, very low quality, cheap equipment. But the pedal makes my guitar and amp sound very expensive. This pedal's amp models aren't the best, by any means. I mostly use the rectifier for distortion and flat-top Acoustic for clean. If I want to, I can always add some phaser or flange to make the sound even better. I've been able to play almost everything but country with this pedal. I can't get the country sound to come out of it. I mostly play rock and metal, with jazz blues riffs intertwined. The only thing that really bugs me about this pedal is that when you let a chord ring out for a really long time and all you get is this fuzz, which is very annoying. There's no way to get rid of it, and the noise gate doesn't do its justice. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far, the RP50 has held up wonderfully. After being stepped on, kicked, brought back and forth to an unforgiving school for a year and in one incidence, split water on it and it still works. For the record, I don't have the expansion expression pedal. I'm not planning on purchasing it so I can't say how the Control In works. I haven't used it in a real gig before, but I've had to use it for a few jazz concerts and for the school talent show and it held up wonderfully. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is wonderful for any beginner who is just learning to expand their sound into something far, far bigger. Though I wish I would have kept the $50 and purchased the RP90 for a little more because of the extra amp models, presets and expression pedal, but this will do until I can buy the RP355. I love how it can hold up and play almost any sound, oh and everyone loves the AutoYa, which is very fun to mess with. I had no prior experience with any other pedals or any other pedal in mind, this is my first pedal. Like I said, great for beginners, works very well and you'll fall in love with it AFTER you figure it out. // 9

RP50 Reviewed by: bhatta, on may 21, 2010

Purchased from: Signature

Ease of Use: It is pretty easy to use considering that there are 2 foot switches to change the programs. Also 40 inbuilt effects that give you an idea what all the small box can deliver.Editing Patches! Thats the tough bit! I have read the manual 15 times over (thankfully they give a manual)and tried to jot down notes to help me then after 2 years I started to get decent sound of my choice out of this thing.AC Adaptor Supplied with set, that was a big plus. The drum Machine comes in handy but upto some levels. // 7

Sound: I am using it with a Greg Bennett AV3, Washburn, BD2, NUX Compressor and a 15 Watt practice amp.It has in built 9 Noise gates which I wish were Noise suppressors, to eliminate any hum. But it does a decent job.There are 2 Wah's and both of them make you sound like somebody's been shot at! The Amp Modulators give either a Very distorted sound or are very weak. Nothing in between.Compressor has no controls and you have to try out different possibilities.3 Band EQ leaves a lot to be desired.Chorus/Mod is very tricky and you have to sit with the manual to do anything with the inbuilt tones.Reverd is good and usable. I had to download patches from websites to try to emulate Floyd, Knopfler etc. To try them out by yourself is tedious. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is made of Plastic, but sturdy plastic.Both feet switches look solid but the edit buttons are really small and by no means user friendly.But I have been using it for 3 years and there has been no problem I do not GIG with it, neither do I stomp on it. Mostly a light tap does the work and I keep it that way. Considering this I can safely tell you it will last me another 10 years maybe.What else do I want. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock, Blues country stuff. The in built patches were mostly useless for my kind of sounds. Editing Patches were a bigger pain. I have considered selling it of at least 20 times in the last 3 years. But I keep it.I am playing for 16 years and this was my first digital multi effects box. Never gonna go for them again.I wish I would have gone for a model with expression control as the Whammy or Wah this box has is rendered useless without it.If lost/or stolen I would regret but never re-buy.I love the thing for the variety of tones it can offer and hate it for the same reason. Sometimes it kills the music.The Reverb and delay works great and I now use it as a Noise Gate and Reverb and delay effects only. My current set up is: GTR->BD2->Compressor->RP50(Reverb, Delay+Noise gate)->Amp.This way I can get the sound I want out of it.I never tried another Multi Effects and don't want to currently. // 8

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ JamMan Looper 9.6 Guitar Effects 09/11/2014