RP55 Review

8.7
 7.1
reviews (4) pictures (3) 21 comments vote for this gear:
RP55 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 05, 2009

Ease of Use: This is my first effects peddle, and in about 20 min of messing with it, I got it down. Its really easy to use mostly because of the 80 effects and simple 2 Digit screen that shows it, 40 are factory and 40 are also factory out of the box, but are customizable. Editing the effects are very simple. The manual is a simple, 23 page, but very descriptive and helpful. I'm not sure, but think the RP55 is an upgraded version of the RP50. Great for beginners. // 10

Sound: I am using my RP55 for practice and fun. So I use a Yamaha pacifica with it and it sounds great. It is noisy with a good amp and settings, plus you can customize almost anything to make it how you want it to be, you can make it sound like Metallica or maybe more modern stuff, mainly anything. I can say that I have had this for a while, and it is worth playing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on it with a power adapter, but you can't really trust anything with batteries. But it has a 15H battery life with 6 batteries. So I would depend on it easy for a gig with no backup, it is very good in sound, and battery life. It is a great one for beginners, but if your pro and on a gig I would probably get somethings else. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock, punk, and some slow solos. But all sound great with your own customs. I have been playing for 2-3 years now and have had it for maybe a year, but it hasn't failed yet. I wish I would have asked if there was a USB compatibility, but I can get past that. If it was stolen I would probably go out and get another 55, or another in the RP series.I love the built in tuner, and drum Machine along with all the great customizable effects. Amazing for beginners. // 8

RP55 Reviewed by: mr_rainmaker777, on april 19, 2011

Purchased from: local store

Ease of Use: This unit is pretty easy to use, you really don`t have to look at the manual, but it does help. Editing patches is easy once you get used to scroll though the LEDs using the buttons. The drum Machine is a bit of a pain... (I think monkeys chose the patches). #31 on the drum Machine is a the best part of this box. // 7

Sound: you can get some pretty desent tones out of this little box IF... You work with it, the recitifer is a good but you really have to play with the EQ to get nice sound, the british stack is one of the nicest patches, its got a real nice clean sound add a little chorus but don`t overdo it. Really the key to getting a good sound and tone out of this is taking your time to tweak your own patches, and don`t over do it with effects. If you have crappy pickups or a buggy amp don`t expect this little box to be a magic cure. The default factory patches really are crap. The 3 band eq is ok, not great but hey its only 50bucks, don`t expect an ADA MP1. The drum Machine really only has a handfull of usefull patches, the most useful is patch 31. Yes there is a patch 31 which is a click track/metronome, it can only be set up to 100bpm, but if you know how to use a metronome this is really not much of a problem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would stay away from using batterys with this unit, stick only to a adapter, I think that's where most of the problems arise with this unit, it does need a GOOD STEADY voltage to sound good. again this is best used as a bedroom practice tool, toss on some decent headphones and have fun with it, if it sounds like crap, change headphones, amp or play with the editing, but you can make this 50buck box sound good IF you work at it. // 7

Overall Impression: been playing just about everything from hanksnow to Yngwie for over 30 years, teach a little off and on, sometimes I use this for lessons. What I like about the RP55 is the price, I got a few little small multi effects and is is the best in its price range. Wish the drum patterns were better, its almost like they had a monkey chose those patches. // 8

RP55 Reviewed by: The Doom 555, on december 19, 2011

Price paid: € 50

Purchased from: Local Store

Ease of Use: Hello, first of all I must say that I love this pedal. I've tried other RP models, and this one sounds really great. Easy to use, and very easy to get your signature sound, either you want a Fender clean tone, or a Marshall JCM800 sound. Editing patches is very easy, and you have a big bank to save your Presets. // 10

Sound: I own a Squier Bullet Stratocaster, fitted with DiMarzio pickups, I also own a ESP LTD EC-10 fitted with one DiMarzio on the bridge, and I must say that it sounds killer. I've tested the pedal with other people guitars, from cheap stock Squiers, to Gibson's, and you get great sounds with it. In my house I use my monitor speakers plugged into the pedal, and my Stratocaster as my guitar. I use the Cabinet Simulation (included on the pedal), and it's ready to go. The effects are ok, I love the chorus and the phaser (the effects that I use the most). Delays are really great, from Analog to Digital, you can adjust the tempo, it's really good. Also includes Reverbs, from Hall to Spring Reverb, and those are great too. The amps that the pedal includes are very nice to play with, I usually use the JCM800, and the Fender Bassman, every amp sounds really good, but the Mesa Rectifier is too digital, even with the cabinet simulation. Could be way better. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very cheap, I've bought mine one year ago, and now it's way cheaper. If you live in Europe you can check one of this pedals on Thomann, for a small price. It's made out of plastic so you must be careful, other than that it's really good, and I use it on my board for one year, and I've done a couple of gigs with it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play from blues to metal, and this pedal suits me very well. If you need an easy pedal, and you don't want to spend too much, I totally recommend this pedal. If you can afford a better one, go for the RP155, also very cheap and simply amazing. It has an USB interface, so you can record yourself. I totally recommend the RP55, or any DigiTech product. Soon I'll post some demos of my pedal on my YouTube channel, so subscribe. Thanks. // 10

RP55 Reviewed by: ratbertovich, on april 22, 2013

Purchased from: Local music store

Ease of Use: The device has a very nice set of effects but whoever configured the presets probably never played the guitar. Almost all of the 80 built-in preset effects are pretty useless, some are outright stupid. Fortunately, editing a preset is very easy and straightforward. A third footswitch to start and stop the drum Machine (it's a button, you can't operate it with your foot) would have enhanced the use of this device enormously. I use this with headphones as a portable amp, too. It sounds great, and the combined volume control (the overall volume, the volume for the emulated amp and the volume for drums) is very versatile. The two footswitches operate flawlessly, albeit without physical feed-back. When in tuner mode, the output is suppressed, so you have to rely on the leds alone. // 8

Sound: Amp modelling: The British Stack is a great emulation of the real thing. High Gain tube emulation is exceptional. Others are quite true to the intended amp. Cabinet modelling: Didn't try: whatever the default one is, it is quite satisfactory. Effects: Nice set, quite customizable. You can configure them to your hearts desire. Noise gate: I find it too aggressive and have turned it off for most of my configurations. I mostly use my Ibanez GRGA11 with it, the humbuckers on the guitar work good enough. The few configurations that have the noise gate turned on are for my Squier Strat. Drums: I used to plug in an old Ibanez RU10 (very nice tuner, bad drums and a horrible pocket amp) into the amp for the drums. After trying the drums on this one for a while, I still go back to the RU10 for rock drums. This one sounds good but I don't like the patches. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's built quite sturdily, and has a metal base. The footswitches are pretty good. Looks like it was built to last. Don't know about how fast it goes through the 6 AA batteries it requires, but I use it with a power adapter. The provided power adapter lacks the build quality of the device itself and warms up quite quickly. I bought a good adapter with the same specs. I'm not sure I'd use it for a gig. It's not a replacement for effects equipment as it also does amp and cabinet emulation. If I did use it in a gig, I would probably not need a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of genres though I rarely try match the original artist's sound exactly. I normally play through a Roland Cube Street amp. I've bought this as a desktop all-in-one amp for practicing on my own. I used the software "rakarrack" on my computer in this capacity before but I was not satisfied with it. If this got destroyed, lost or stolen I'd buy one again. I wish it had a footswitch for starting and stopping the drums. Plus, a jog control would have been more usable than the increment/decrement buttons for setting values. // 9

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Drop 8.2 Guitar Effects 09/26/2014