RP80 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 09/07/2012 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RP80
This modeling guitar effects processor has 11 amp models, 22 studio quality effects, an expression pedal for real time control of the effects.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.8
 Ease of Use: 8
 7.8
 6.1
reviews (43) pictures (2) 40 comments vote for this gear:
RP80 Reviewed by: josephde, on june 03, 2004

Purchased from: Music123.com

Ease of Use: Ok, if your a beginner at guitar who just wants to mess around with effects, the layout is very easy to get what you want. But if you plan on using this for a gig, good luck. The RP80 has 40 different presets. Two of each. If you want, you can change one of them, but not the order. So you must scroll through 40 effects presets to find yours. Even if your just playing around, it can be very frustrating. Editing is pretty simple, and the manual is very detailed and easy to understand. Now getting a good sound is another issue. Most effects will sound the same as others, while some are horrible in a chain. Once again, for a beginner, great. Otherwise, think again. // 6

Sound: In my setup, I use a 7 string Washburn, hooked to the DigiTech, then Line 6 Distortion, then a Flanger Pedal to my Crate Performance Amp. If your using presets, you can not route thrugh another pedal first or you will get horrible sound. But otherwise, it's decent. about 10 of the presets are pretty good, the rest lame. So get ready to get on your knees programming it. The wah sucks, and he main deciding factor for me was the Whammy pedal ($200 value), but the expression pedal is very small(I have size 13 feet, so maybe not for you.) So if your willing to spend some time programming it, it's pretty good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Though it is very solid and sturdy, I would not use this during a gig or even a practice session. As I said earlier-it's only good for toying around with effects. // 4

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal and some old school rock. I've been playing for about 4 years and it just doesn't fit the bill for me, but for you it might. I would not buy another, but I recommend their floorboard sets, they're pretty good. It's great for playin around, but not much else. With my Ibanez, I couldn't get it to sound right(Don't know if it was me). If it had an option to change the order, it would be awesome. Love, peace and chicken grease-I'm out. // 6

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2005

Purchased from: music city,nl

Ease of Use: The RP80 I found was extremely easy to use and any beginner could have a field day playing around with all the different effect. I only took the manual out of the box to read about the different effects. The only problem I had here was that there was only two foot switches so switching between effects was sort of difficult. // 8

Sound: With this processor I was using a Washburn X-20 and a Randall RG25RXM which is a 25 watt amp and the processor truly livened it up. The processor is quite noisy with distortion, and the effects arn't the greatest sounding out there, but it was totally worth the buy. I can't really get any particular sounds out of it but the distortion and digital delays were very good, but there was also alot of annoying buzzing distortions which I thought were kinda pathetic. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I am not so sure If I could depend upon this, but If I did bring it on a gig I would definetly bring along a backup. The tiny thing is pretty strong though. I havn't dropped it off any buildings or anything but It hasn't broken on me through all the wear and tear. // 6

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal and hard rock and well this thing is more for any type of player, the distortion was alright and brightened up my old 25 watt Randall, but I cant even use it now with my new 100 watt Randall, so I believe that this pedal Is definetly more of a beginners processor. If the processor was stolen on me I would probably go and buy a GNX workstation. What I love about this processor was that it had a built in tuner which was extremely helpful when I started playing, but now I dont really need that stuff and is outdated for me. Some things I hated about this processor was that it only had two footswitches which was good and all but when you switched between effects there was a break between the change and because of the gain control you had to screw around with the expression pedal to get your sound back again. // 6

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 19, 2005

Ease of Use: This is fine adition to any beginers FX armada. You basicly get some of the most popular DigiTech stomp boxes in one console plus a wah and Whammy. The drum Machine isn't bad, but for some reason it displays the speed in values where the max is 100 instead of bpms, but over all a nice addition. Like I said I paid 80$ for mine but I know you can find them cheaper, in fact a friend of mine got an RP200 for 60$ (which by the way is also a stellar product). No patches mean you are stuck with the sounds on their, but effects 1-40 are custumizable by you (and you can combine multiple effects, as well as link one to expression pedal if you want). Lastly the extra 1/4 inch output and headphone out put is great for setting up an ameature studio. Also the headphone out means you can hook it into a stero and the signal will be proscesed so no speaker damage occurs. // 8

Sound: I used this to record to my computer, play through stereo speakers, as well as a crappy 10 watt Yamaha amp. The distortion is always crisp, the Whammy brain scrambling, and the phaser hypnotic. Also the shear plethera of effects makes this pedal a great value. The Whammy is faithfull the a whole slur of rage songs, and the distortion is adjustable for crips and crunchy to bassey and destructive. As for the other effects I cant really recall many artists that I listen too that would use them, although there is a very nice delay/echo setting that is identicle to the sound in candlebox's far behind. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Overall I would give this very high durability rating. The fact that my friends dog ripped it from the amp cables and brought it to me to play fetch, and it still worked afterwords is testment to that. I might bring a backup to a gig just becuse you never no if anyone might shoot you for the break up of pantera and steal you gear. // 10

Overall Impression: I haven't been playing for verylong (less than a year) but my disgustingly long finger have let me learn pretty quick (I'm working on the headsplitting duel by vai from crossroads, as well as crystal planet from you better know who). I'm also a very large Tom Morello fan (except Adioslave, damn you Cornell). The one thing I wish it did have was patch-ablitiy, but it's still damn good. // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: Stinging_Acid, on september 03, 2005

Ease of Use: Simple interface, however it takes time to get to know it intuitively, but nothing complicated. It gives you 40 presets, and an extra 40 spaces to alter said presets. So all in all you can have 80. Once you read up on it, it's very easy to change the effects to how you want them, fantastic for experimenting. The manual is easy to read and is key to truly understanding this Machine. // 8

Sound: I'm using mine with a Fender Frontman 15G. One problem I have is that there can be huge differences between the volume of one effect and the volume of another. This can lead to a lot of fiddling with volume knobs. The sound is great though. Some of the effects sound exactly like certain artists, which is pretty cool and can lead to a lot of experimenting with that particular genre. While some of the effects sound a lot alike, there are many that stand out, and they all sound good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is sturdy. I don't play gigs, but I think I would trust using this. It is a very tough plastic and feels rather solid. // 10

Overall Impression: For the price, it was a great buy. It matches just about whatever music you want to play. You get some very heavy tones as well as some very sharp, shred inspiring sounds. I like how the peddle can be set up to adjust wah, volume, and just about everything else. I don't like the volume differences between each setting. It is a great multi-effect peddle, not the best, but a good replacement for a bunch of single effects. If I lost it anytime soon, I would buy it again, because I really don't need anything more serious. // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: XrejectX, on december 12, 2005

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Ease of Use: This device was my second pedal. I had been playing for about 4 or 5 months when I got it. Right away I was able to configure and start playing it. The sound to me was amazing, I really liked the flanger and chorus, but have in mind I had never heard such sound. The device was really easy to use and get around with. With a built in drum Machine I could record some riffs on my computer and put in some drumming so that was pretty cool. My firt actual song I played with a drummer, bassist and vocalist wa Sweeat Dreams by Marilyn Manson, which was about a week after I got it. So in a weeks time I learned how to operate it. Which is pretty good. // 9

Sound: My set up was the RP-80 with a Boss distortion pedal and a Fender amp. At the time the sounds I was using were just awesome. Example, chorus, reverb and delay. Where the RP-80 really lacked was with the distortion. You got a distortion but a very shitty one. Like it was so hard to match the distortion tone of lets say Mettalica. The power chords Mettalica uses were so hard to match with the RP-80 becuase you had always equip some expresion to it or reverb to make it sound out, which was a huge downfall for me. Another error or downfall on this Machine was the wah wah. You could never really just get pure wah, it had to like wah, reverb or wah, chorus. That was also a downfall. The sound it self as a whole was clean and crisp, no feed back what so ever, at least not as bad as my distortion pedal, which sounded like breaking glass. But I feel that the RP-80 had such a potential for the distortion types of mettalica, marilyn manson, mega death, but it didnt, which sucked. // 4

Reliability & Durability: No I wouldn't use it at a gig. Just for the soul reason that it is hard to make a decent distortion sound. In terms of durability hell yes. I've dropped this puppy, stepped on it and it still holds out for me. // 6

Overall Impression: The RP-80 as a whole is a fine Machine. Excellent for beginners and new tryers. I do not reccomend this Machine to intermidate and advance guitar players. It just can not keep up with the demand of sound options and functions needed to play metal and old rock. Just no distortion for those heart throbing pure metal riffs and no wah capalbities for soloing. I have been playing now just almost a year, and I don't know much. I do know that this Machine does not have what I want and need. I play heavy metal (mettalica, cradle of filth and lamb of god) and some older rock (Van Halen, Iron Maiden and AC/DC) I also love playing scales, so maybe some blues. If it were stolen I would definetly replace it with my baby now, the ME-50. I hate that the RP-80 failed in delivering the distortion I need and the wah. Compared the ME-50 its obsolete, rotten dust. My faveourite feature would be the chorus, kause it just offers a wide variety. If you are wondering, I still do at times use the RP-80 but the softer sound for playing One by Mettalica but eventually I need the distortion which I kind of a reality when you buy the RP-80. You can go with the softer modulations but eventually you'll need the distortion. // 5

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 04, 2004

Ease of Use: It's a decent effects processor for the price you pay. Comes with whole bunch of effects and an expression pedal, which was my motivation behind buying this. Patch editing is easy, manual explains everything and it comes with 80 presets (40 actually, they repeat). The sound is pretty decent for beginners to intermediate but if you want to gig with it or if you're looking for a specific tone, I wouldn't suggest this. // 8

Sound: My guitar goes into a dist pedal>digitech>Fender Amp. I use an ESP M100FM with EMG active 81s. The processor produces some noise which I deslike but its not that big a trouble. Some patches that I found on the website are pretty decent. Like the Slash's Crybaby Wah and Kirks Wah although they are not accurate, they will do if you don't have the cash for those expensive pedals pros use. All in all, it's pretty decent, I played Enter Sandman with it and to the untrained there wasn't much of a difference (I could tell the difference but anyway.) // 6

Reliability & Durability: This looks durable but I don't think anybody in their right mind would think about taking this to a gig. First off, the pedal is small and is kinda loose. I have size 13 feet and I can't feel the pedal when I wear my shoes. Also, most of the time I manage to hit the preset buttons and the presets fly away (yes, if you press and hold, the presets can go from 1 to 80 in about 2 seconds) which means I have to carefully bring it back to the preset I want. But the hardware looks like it can take a beating. // 8

Overall Impression: The best thing about this processor is the expression pedal. It can work for volume swell, 3 different kinds of wah, amp gain-choros-compressor mod etc which gives a lot of flexibility. Also, I don't have the space in my dorm room nor do I have the money to have extravagant setups like pros do, so this works for me for now. Although I'm thinking about a better pedal such as GFX series, or Korg AX series. // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2004

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: This pedal has to be one of the simplest of all my pedals. Anyone could use this pedal easily. I highly recommend it to beginners. The manual is there, But I can't honestly say I read the entire thing through, it was just obvious how to use it really. The editing patches sound very good, and I can turn any effect I want it to the one I desire, which is exactly what I expect from an effects pedal. // 10

Sound: I use my Yamaha ERG 121 with this effects pedal, but it also sounds very good on my Ibanez Gio. I just prefer using it with my Yamaha because my Ibanez is getting on, in age. I use any of my 3 amps with it, and sounds exceptionally good on my Marshall 100FX. The first time I used it I was blown away by the sound, it was very loud compared to my Zoom 606, and the distortion sounds amazing, exactly what I had wished for. I haven't come across a weak point in my effects yet, and they have all sounded very good, I can get the sound of my favourite artist from my preset effects whom is Tom Delonge, but I also manage to make it sound like James Hetfield. I love my chorus effect, but I am in love with my delay effects. // 10

Reliability & Durability: First thoughts I didn't think I would be able to use this efects pedal at agig, but when it turns out my others had powere failures and weak links, I used my RP80, I was worried, but it was very good, I was expecting at least 10 mess ups didn't make one! I would use this pedal again, but I normally have a back up anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: I love playing punk rock emo and a bit of metal music, and this effects pedal is by far the best I have had for these genres. I have been playing fro around 2 years now and I own the Zoom 606, 05, and 504 effects pedals along with 2 old Boss ones, which I try to use as little as possible, this is my first DigiTech and I will not buy another type again, If I lost this pedal I would have to buy it again, or the next version upwards, I love the WAH pedal and I think the tuner is the easiest of all of them. The only thing I wish it had was a larger led screen. // 10

RP80 Reviewed by: NeverBeenKilled, on march 07, 2005

Purchased from: A local shop

Ease of Use: It's very easy to get a good sound out of this little gem. Rather it be distortion, you're after (I know there's at least 5 good distortions on this) or just an effect like wah. Or maybe you want some reverb, there's plenty of different types of reverbs built into this. The manual is very helpful, could probaly only be more helpful if it gave a brief history behind each amp model, but that would take a lot of paper. It's also very easy to edit effects on here. I've made about 4 or 5 of my own, which sound very nice. // 8

Sound: I'm using a crappy Peavey Blazer w/reverb amp. I run a Squier Telecaster through it. Not the best equipment I know, but this pedal does wonders for the sound! It was impossible for me to get a distortion pedal to work with my telecaster, because of the single coil feedback. I had tried the DigiTech Grunge and Death Metal pedal, neither worked, just sent out horrible horrible feedback that made me wanna shut the amp off and just put the guitar away. Well for some reason, the distortion of this pedal works just fine without any feedback. I can't explain why, might be the noisegates. It's not noisy at all when you're not playing, however some of the effects can give a little bit of hum when you're using them. If you mess around with your amp settings enough though, you can usually pretty much get rid of the hum. Some of the effects are weak, and I don't like how you have to cycle through the effects, but I guess there wasn't really any other way to make it. Distortion is definetely my favorite. It comes with 40 built in effects, and then you can create 40 more of your own. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I depend on it. I've dropped it twice, neither time, did it crack nor blemish. It didn't effect the sound either. I would use it on a gig without a backup, well maybe not, because I am very paranoid and wouldn't want to ruin a show because my pedal's not working. However I don't see any chance of it not being dependable. I just wouldn't gig without a backup on anything. // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues and metal. Some classic rock in there too. I've been playing for about seven months. As I said I also own a Squier Telecaster, a Peavey Blaze w/reverb. I also own a Drive Strat copy and an Ibanez Phaser. I don't like the phaser to much. I want to try my Strat copy out with my amp, but haven't yet gotten a chance to, as it is broken. I tried it out for about ten minutes, because the store was closing, and after cycling through the first eight effects, I was in love. I couldn't wait to get this thing home. If it were lost or stolen, I would file a police report, and contact DigiTech. I believe they have some kind of policy on replacing stuff under that condition, though I am not sure. I would definetely want this pedal back though. I don't really hate anything about it, except for the fact that some of the effects are weak, but I mainly use this for distortion. I definetely recomend this to anyone who plays classic rock, the blues, or metal. I can get a good crunch sound for blues. Then a crunchy bright sound for my classic rock, or a deeper sound. Then I can get full out distortion for my metal. Overall, great pedal. I can't believe it works so well with my single coils! // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: AmericanIdiot91, on june 20, 2005

Ease of Use: If you set the effects up right, this pedal will give you almost exactly what you're looking for. The manual explains each effect variable, so when creating your own effects, you aren't left in the dark. // 8

Sound: I bought this as an alternative to buying a new guitar right away, just to give me some more options for sounds. I can get my Squier to sound like anything from a 12-string acoustic/electric to almost the quality of a Les Paul. If you don't use the sound gate option, the effect can cause a ton of interference. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's really durable, built like a tank. Even though it is made mostly of plastic, it can hold up to just about anything. I would use this on a gig without a backup without thinking twice about it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly Green Day, Blink 182, The Offspring, and this really gives me what I'm looking for, without having a million different effects pedals. I love the fact that I can create my own effects, but still have the old ones on the pedal. If this thing was lost or stolen I'd: 1. hunt down and kill whoever stole it; 2. buy it again in a heartbeat. // 10

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2005

Ease of Use: Because it's a multi-effect Machine it does take a while to learn how to use it, but it's worth every minute cause you can make great effects with this Machine. It does come with a manual that tells you everything you need to know w/pictures so make sure you don't lose it it you decide to purchase this item. // 8

Sound: Sound on the RP80 is ok I guess. It's pretty good for it's price and the amount of effects you get/create. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The Machine's reliability is better than it looks and I would use it for minor gigs like (in bars, talent shows, etc. but I don't recommend it for important gigs like (on tour, making a debut, etc). // 6

Overall Impression: I play many different styles and the Machine had worked out great for all of them. If you like Rage Against The Machine or Audioslave and wanting to create the same effects as Tom you can with the RP80. The only down side on this Machine is its looks and some trouble switching effects during a song. Buying seperate pedals make it more convenient but each pedal costs about $80.00 and up plus you need to buy the adaptor and a bunch of cords to connect them all or you can buy the RP80 for the price of two pedals which includes the adaptor and can create a variety of sounds. Overall I think it's a good buy. // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: WOWdoritos, on december 19, 2005

Ease of Use: The DigiTech RP80 is one kickass pedal, I bought this brand new last January and it hasnt let me down on sound yet with 40 set presets and extra 40 that you change for your own style, built in chromatic tuner, drum Machine with a tempo change and 30 different beats, large choice of wah-wah, reverb, flanger you name it has it, great pedal and as I am aware the price has now gone down to 69. // 9

Sound: I use this through my super Strat with coil tap and double locking floyd rose, great warm tone on the humbuckers, are you playing a strat but want a humbucker sound? Quess what this pedal has a pickup effect making our single coils humbuckers or your humbuckers single coils, I play metal. Thrash this is great for me has lots of warm vintage valve sounds, and high output distortion, plus a whole bunch of crazy effects including a sitar! And acoustic effects, comes with manual and 9v mains supply, and will run off 6 aa batteries. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would be more than happy to use this at a gig with no backup whatsoever, you have a tuner (built in) so you can re tune between songs, a bypass for a clean sound with no effects added to your tone, and not forgetten the built in expression pedal! Great for the blistering wah solo or distortion gain/boost. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great pedal and fits in well with my sound and what a price, if it were stolen I would find it and punch the guy if not then I would have to go out and buy it again, I only wish it has more. What the hell am I saying this pedal has everything! To improve your tone/sound etc I recommend this pedal to anyone from beginner to professional, hey just think of all them people who indorse DigiTech. // 9

RP80 Reviewed by: Slayer_Fan_666, on february 13, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is relatively easy to use. It comes with 40 presets, and then you have the opportunity to go into each preset and customize it to your likings. The manual does explain things pretty clearly, but it took me a couple read throughs to completely understand this pedal. // 7

Sound: My setup is a Laney 65 watt amp, and either a strat with single coils, or an SG with humbuckers. I find that since they were able to fit more effects into one unit, the quality of each one goes down. I usually just use this for the Whammy and wah effects and have it fed into my Line 6 uber metal, then into my amp. Unfortunately, it does lose a bit of tone. I love using the Whammy pedal though, and it works great. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This unit is pretty sturdy, but I wouldn't take the chance of doing a gig without a spare. It doesn't seem like it would break just sitting around, but if you're unlucky, something could happen to the foot pedal itself. I think that if you were going to use this at a gig, you should play it safe and brind a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I play various types of rock and metal, and I find that this pedal helps a bit. I've been playing for about a year and a half now, and this is one of my primary effects. I bought this pedal around the time I was starting out, so I could try out different things and find something that suited my tastes. If this was ever lost or stolen, I'd most likely buy a new one; it's not that expensive for what you get. I don't like the fact that it loses tone, and that the distortion setting is too low. I wish that the quality of each setting was a bit better, as that would help everyone a lot more. // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: sbikram, on august 14, 2008

Purchased from: Deep Music

Ease of Use: The DigiTech RP80 is my right hand, I must say. I had to pay a huge $204 for this product because they had to get imported to the other side of the world, Nepal. The DigiTech RP80 was my find then. It can be really difficult to use it (ESP editing the patches) but after you get used to it, DigiTech can be your only choice. It gives a preset of 40 patches and storage space of 40 patches which can be pretty cool for gigs. The manual included is pretty cool, just the details you want. The DigiTech RP80 has numerous effects that makes it a perfect guitar processor. // 10

Sound: I use the DigiTech RP80 with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom guitar and some Indian amp. I also use it for home recordings. The recordings sound pretty cool. The DigiTech RP80 has a preset of cool sounds. trust me, I never had any hiss or any noisyness at ANY patch I've used. The effects are of a wide variation and they can be easily managed. THough it takes some time, but I can get very good sounds. I have a band that usually covers My Chemical Romance, The Killers, The Rasmus, and other Death Metal band which only covers Lamb Of God. We also have self compositions which we play and the DigiTech RP80 has helped me out so much. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Depending on it would be a pretty good idea. Though sometimes, connection problems can arouse, but you can get over it easily. I have played many gigs using this product and at none of them, I had to get embarassed because of the DigiTech RP80. You can use it without any backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I've played every genre on this effects processor. from deathmetal to blues, from alternative rock to jazz. So there's no telling in how much of a good processor the RP80 is. I love everything abot the DigiTech RP80. And it has been my ultimate friend cum guitaring need since the last one year. I wish it had a larger patch storage capacity. But the newer DigiTechs have 'em though. So all in all, the DigiTech RP80 is an awesome product to buy. // 10

RP80 Reviewed by: bylead, on september 13, 2011

Ease of Use: It is very easy is it to get a good sound out of it including Editing patches. The eq is tricky. Just adjust my guitar tone knob and the amp for extra help. // 10

Sound: ESP H-1001FR LTD Deluxe Electric Guitar copy, and a strat. A custom amp with Celestion G12H 30 Watt Anniversary Vintage Guitar Speaker. its noisy and loud, but i just turn the patch volume down and adjust my amp. Planet Waves cables are the best. Sometimes Unnecessary Noises are from the cables. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it depending on the type of music we are set to play. First I've use it with a back up, a 2x3 pedal board with different analog pedals in chain. However, since then I only use the RP 80 in practice and gigs. Except for Heavy metal. I use my pedal board and my Zoom G2.1u. It is reliable and durable, but for a reason that it is light weight I made a small custom pedal board for it with a box. // 10

Overall Impression: I play wish full thinking by john petrucci. Dream theater, Satriani, Greenday, Creed, beatles, and many more. Any thing that comes into our mind. Mostly Pop music coz we are paid to do that. Been playing for 17 years, I do have other gears besides this. Mostly analogs and a Zoom G2.1u. If it is stolen I'll get higher version of this RP 355 and a like because the problem Zoom G2.1U and its higher versions, the stomp switch. The spring will soften. Some times it is hard or to soft, or it will just change on it's own. Open it, and change the springs or stretch them. HOWEVER, my RP 80 don't have any problem with that. In fact, RP 80 is much an earlier tool. High gains is not good in this, but it can boost a ds 1 and other pedals or your amp. or just select a distortion in the RP 80, set the gain on 5, and adjust volume, gain and and the eq of your amp. It will do the trick. // 10

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2004

Purchased from: Wentworth Music Store

Ease of Use: This is by far, one of the easiest multi effect pedals to use. Although it comes with a manual, it isn't even necessary (except maybe if you want to clear data on your pedal or something). I just used it to see all of the available effects and what they do on my way home when I was in the car. Although there are upgrades out there, for the price paid, it's worth it. // 10

Sound: There is a wide variety of sounds you can get with it. I use like an old Kramer XL 2 and some Univox amp that is equally old, and I can get some pretty cool sounds. I can get sounds similar to Eddie Van Halen, James Hetfield and many others. Although, if you are using one of the many amp models, your amp doesn't make much f a difference, but I usually play using my own amps sound. The effects are all pretty good, except I was a little dissappointed in the wah wah effect (envelope) but I love the phaser and flanger on it, and the noise gate is great. You can make your sound fade in, and it has I think three kinds of delay and wah wah on it, and a bunch of other effects. Great for begginners. Also, I love the distortion. The big pedal on the side regulates the amount of effect used and the volume, which would come in handy, but it depends what you play. But there are better pedals out there, but this is cheap, and I personally love the sounds. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is very durable (and light). I have dropped it and done other crazy things to it numerous times, and it is strong as hell. Would I use it at a gig? Well personally, I have already twice (although the second one sucked, that wasn't the pedals fault), and I don't find it to bad. The only the I really don't like is those freakin effect switchin things are so small. But I can manage, cause I aint picky, but most of you seem like you are, so I guess it would be up to you to decide that. // 8

Overall Impression: I play so many styles of music, except for country, cause it's annoying. I love Van Halen, they are my favorite band. I can get a very similar sound to Eruption and lots of other songs. I would definately never play classical or flamenco on this baby (or even on an electric guitar) but who the hell would, unless you like Santana, which I do, but I don't play his stuff. For metal, there are so many flippin pedals out there, there are bound to be dozens better, but like I said earlier, I can get a pretty good James Hetfield sound goin, so it aint too bad. I have been playing for about a year and four months now, and you probably think I'm a begginner, but you haven't heard me play, so you can't classify me, but I don't even care, so I'll just shutup. I also own some weird distortion pedal, made by a company called aries, but I really don't care what equipment I have, I just really wanted a multi effect that could spring a few effects, and I did. I just love to play. I would probably buy this again, unless I had enough money to get some crazy highly acclaimed multieffect. But even then, I would probably want to save money, and buy this one again. I like pretty well everything on it, except for the size of the stupid effect changing knobs. I'm also not too fond of the drum Machine thing either, but I guess it's there if you want to use it, and are short of a drummer. I just the love the phaser and flanger effects. Thats probably my favorite. That and the distortion. So, if you are begginner, low on cash, and are lookin to get yourself a cool multieffect, buy this one. It rocks. // 10

RP80 Reviewed by: slash_pwns, on april 16, 2005

Ease of Use: This looks pretty intimidating at first. Getting a good sound out of it is not very easy, if you're not using a preset. The presets are ok, but nothing special. But if you use them, its just a matter of turning it one, and putting a number in. The manual is very good. It covers everything you need to know. // 8

Sound: This device is not noisy. Even on the hi gain settings, you can use the noise gate or compressor to quiet it down. Presets are weak. The amp modelling is very good, though. You can get a good gritty distortion, a good lead tone, and a nice Brit tone, but you have to sit down and fiddle with it for a while. Chorus is great. The chorus, flange, phase etc. are very strong. The distortion takes a while to get good. The harmonizer effect and the acoustic simulation are ok, but not great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this if its sitting on my floor at home. The bottom is metal, but the construction is mainly plastic. I havent broken anything in 4 months of having it but I would gig with it. At all. It doesn't sound good enough or is sturdy enough to withstand even a 30 min set. // 6

Overall Impression: This can suit all styles of music, but like I said, you have to sit down and fiddle with it to get it good. I wasnt there for the initial purchasing (Christmas present), but I probably would have just prefered a chorus pedal. The only thing I really use this for is chorus and acoustic simulation. Since my amp has no reverb, I use it for reverb, but it's just not the same as spring reverb. I wish it had better distortion and a completley metal construction, so it can be gig-able. // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2005

Ease of Use: The RP80, by DigiTech is a great multi-effects prosessor. It's very simple to use; espeacialy when you know how to use it. The pedal is very self eplanitory. I only had to get out the manual to figure out what the 1" by 1" (which is really small) display was telling me. The signs and buttons are all labeled. The only thing confusing is the chorus/mod dot. There are like 14 effect under that. You can't download patches to the console which is fine for me 'cause it isn't as complicated as the Guitar Workstation. // 10

Sound: The sounds are definately better than the sound that comes straight from my amp. I set up with a cable from my BC Rich Bronze to the pedal. Then that goes into my Johnson standard 15 watt amp on a perfectly clean setting. The two wires that need to be used sound alot better when they are the same brand. On almost all distortion settings thre is alot of noise. But that's why there is a noise gate. The effects are all exceptionally awsome. The delay is not the kind of "play/wait/hear." It's really more like an echo delay. Other than that all I can say is sweet! My favorite artists are Metallica, Green Day, and 3 Doors Down. I can imitate every one of there sounds with no problem. That is except for Metallica's distortion. The gain on the amp models only goes up to nine when Metallica has 11 gain. The distortion is really the only thing I don't like about it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this for five months and nothing has gon wrong-at all. All DigiTech items are very dependable. I would totally take it to a gig without a backup for one reason. I wouldn't need one! Even thought it's mostly plastic it's very durable. // 10

Overall Impression: When I play I play mostly punk, rock, and metal. This unit is just one big rubberband that fits every catagory. The clean tones are extremely powerful and the effects are crisp as on any CD today. I've only been playing for about a year. This is the only pedal I own and if I lost it or someone stole it I would totally get a new one. I love everything about it but it could have a little bit more distortion power. It's like a whole pedal board in a 6.3"x8.125"x2.0" box. And it only weighs 1.34 lbs. The best thing about it all is the biult in expression pedal. You can change the parameters of an effect without bending over and editing it. // 10

RP80 Reviewed by: jimm, on july 19, 2005

Ease of Use: This is a fairly good beginning processor. It is easy enough to get good sounds out of it, and editing presets is easy. The manual is very clear, and includes a list of the 40 presets. My unit is stock and I can get pretty good sounds out of it still. I just wish it had knobs. // 6

Sound: I use this pedal with a Mexican Strat (singlecoil) through this, a Boss CH-1 Chorus, and a CryBaby, to a Roland Cube-15. I gig with this setup often. One thing you notice is even with the noise gate on 9, there is a hiss as a note dies away on "rectified" mode. Otherwise it is good. I can get an OK Metallica sound out of this, but you can get an excellent Green Day sound out of this unit. The effects are all fair, with exceptions. I think the pickup modeler, phaser, pitch shifter, and rotary speaker are all above average effects. The chorus is almost as good as my Boss CH-1. This unit puts out an insane amount of volume. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is fairly dependable, though made of plastic. I have gigged with it twice with no backup and no problems. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and hard rock, and it does it's job. It might work a bit better for punk or un-hard rock. I have been playing for about 2 years, and I own a Mexican Strat, a Roland Cube-15, this, a Boss CH-1, a CryBaby, and a Dano Flanger that I'm selling. If this was stolen, I would have to say I'd buy the RP100. It has no expression pedal (which I don't use) and has knobs for parameter controls. I love the tuner and drum Machine. I hate that its so small. It is hard to hit just one button. When buying, I compared to the Berhinger X-Vamp, and it seemed this was better. But now I regret buying the one with the expression pedal. I wish it had more flexible distortion. // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: Chriz_91, on july 20, 2005

Purchased from: Thomann Cyberstore

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty easy to use, like switching effects is very easy but when you like "make" your own effects it's pretty difficult and complicated, but still pretty easy getting a good sound of it, pretty hard actually. I wanted a good distortion sound but I couldn't get exactly the one I wanted so yeah pretty difficult getting a good sound. The manual for this one is easy to understand and I'm very glad it had a manual because I was pretty confused at first but I give easy of use a 3 because getting a good is actually difficult. // 6

Sound: I use this DigiTech bastard with an Ibanez GRG270 through a Harley Benton amp (bad equipment if you ask me) and the sound I got was average at the chorus, phaser and flanger sounds but then distortion really sucked. The effects sounded quite cheap but the noise gate was very good thats one thing I'm satisfied with, but I give sound also a 3. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This thing is durable. It's plastic but it's durable. I would use it on a gig without a backup if it werent for the sound. // 8

Overall Impression: This pedal wasnt as good as I expected. I ordered it by internet so I didn't know how it sounded like. I play mainly metal, sometimes punk and rock but that's not often. I've been playing for soon 4 years. If this thing would be stolen I would say: s--t happens! and get a Boss ME-50 instead which I already have ordered. The only thing I really like with this is the noise - no noize! The rest is average except the dist. because it's crap and this is my opinions. But if you really want some good stuff don't buy this one I don't think you like it. // 6

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 12, 2005

Ease of Use: I am fairly new to playing, but I thought this was a nice addition to get pretty good sound at a low price. The manual that came with the unit is pretty good, it gets you familiar with the product. I would have liked more info on editing the the presets. Examples would have been great (i.e. Dire Straits - Money For Nothing). I guess as I keep on using it, the better I will get at getting that "sound." Though, it was very easy to get started with it. // 8

Sound: I use a Squier Strat. The amp is very basic practice amp, Fender too. Some of the presets it is hard to tell the difference. But I have been able to tweak some of the pre-sets to duplicate sounds. I can get pretty close to some artist's songs (like Neil Young's "Hey Hey My My" on Rust Never Sleeps and Pink Floyd's "Sorrow," the beginning portion). // 8

Reliability & Durability: The unit seems pretty sturdy. I haven't had it all that long. Not sure if I would play it in a gig, unless you can have all of your setups right next to each other (i.e. 1 through 5 have all of your effects you use in a gig). I have not had any trouble with it at all. I bet it would work ok on a small gig (not sure for a elaborate production). // 8

Overall Impression: I like to play Pink Floyd stuff alot. I have found some of the effects, I think, that match pretty close to their sound (Gilmour). Though I have not been playing all that long and I have had the RP80 only for a couple of months, I like that you can come pretty close to a sound of your choosing. If this were stolen, I probably would buy it again. For the money, this is a good deal (even if your are just jamming in your basement). I bought this one because it was at the local shop set up, so I was able to play around with it before I bought it and it is affordable. // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 22, 2005

Ease of Use: This pedal is relatively easy to get a good sound. But it's a little confusing at first but once you play around a lil bit you'll figure it out. The manual isn't all that helpful except to calibrate the expression pedal, other than that I found it useless. // 4

Sound: I'm currently using a Epiphone Les Paul and Washburn Delta King though 2 Carvin halfstacks. If you set the noise gate correctly there should be no unneccesary noise. the effects sound pretty good. I can get sounds from my pedal which match the effects of: Dimmu Borgir, Nile and Bury Your Dead, etc. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty dependable if you've mastered how it works. I would keep my other pedals as backup for this just in case something doesn't go the way I want it. // 3

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 6 years. I play hardcore and Death Metal, little bits of thrash here and there. I should have tried it out before buying it, if it was stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again. // 4

RP80 Reviewed by: ApexMACHINE, on january 02, 2006

Ease of Use: Pretty basic use, didn't take me long to get aquainted with most of the functions. The instruction booklet (God damn, he read it) was easy to follow and has some good descriptions for what it can do for you. The Expression pedal was a little different to link up, but once you figure it out its easy to have at your control. Over all a pretty basic layout has you finding your experimental tones easily enough although as stated in previous reviews, the volume becomes a struggle as there are two settings for it. One volume for each bank port and another overall volume setting. So you need to balance two which is a bit unecessary. // 7

Sound: Its got some great presets (clear channels mainly. Reverb, delay and the chorus/modulation effects are pretty damn good considering the price). It also has some bad ones (the pickup modulation is awful. Sounds patchy at best). The compression is weak too, a limited 15 settings for it. As purpose, the best feature is the built-in noisegate. These are priceless if you work them correctly. With some great settings (1-8 in strength and cutoff) its easily adjustable. The downside, is that there is not one descent distortion level. It's clunky and fuzzy on its best setting, with no definition or rigidness if your a fast palm muting riffer. The amp modulations (while pretty good) only sound good at a billion dbells. I won't be using this for its heavy sound or distortion. So you'll need to be buying an additional pedal just for that. Now for a multi-modulation guitar accompanyment, you expect it to have everything. With me being a metal player, the lack of a descent distortion just plain annoyed me. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty sturdy, although the expression pedal doesn't seem to have much leeway. I certainly wouldn't rely on the RP80 and the RP80 alone during a gig. It's tough to land on your right setting bank if your scanning through certain settings. So if you use more than one bank per song, your going to be tap-dancing your banks while you should be leaping around like a maniac. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, for the clear effects and tones it produces some amazing proffesional sound quality sounds. I adore a lot of the settings I've created from the ammount of effects it offers, although the lack of a descent distortion (which should be a bloody well main function) is really downsetting for what might have been the perfect introduction into multi FX. Unfortunately, its back to the drawing board for me. I am still going to refer back to my Zoom 505 for my distortion, because it's crunchy, rigid and forever lasting in quality. Outdated, but after I bought the new DigiTech RP80 I was seriously dissappointed that I couldnt dial in my heavy-distortion sound anywhere near to what I currently have. Great for classic sounds, arpeggio picking and ambient fxed riffs. But for heavy stuff, stick with Zoom or Line 6. // 6

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2006

Purchased from: Ron's Music

Ease of Use: There isn't many true good distortion sounds out of the RP80, there is a lot of sounds but most of them are weird ones tht u would never need. The editing of the sounds is quite easy and good and the manual was very easy to read and understand. // 7

Sound: I'm using it with a box standard 10 watt GA-10 amplifier I got with my guitar and a Yamaha ERG121. The problem with this pedal is tht there isnt any good acoustic or electric sounds and if you get a good acoustic sound u hav to turn up your amp to hear it so tht means when you want to switch to electric you have to turn it down and it's a lot of hassle. I've been playing guitar for about a year now and like to play a lot of Green Day and Blink 182 but I can't get a proper sound out fo the pedal to sound like them all the distortion sounds have weird delay effect and if you do find a good sound you can't move it next to another good sound so tht means you have to edit each sound from scratch. The wah pedal only works on two effect out of 80 but besides that its very good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very sturdy and it wouldnt break so I could trust it and I wouldn't use it in a gig because of its effects quality but I would use it because of it reliability. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of punk/rock and it can cope with a lot of this I've been playing a year (as before). if it were stolen I woould buy another one theres a good Zoom pedal without the wah and the 80 efect slots but that has better sound quality. My favourite feature is the wah pedal. // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2006

Ease of Use: It is really easy to get a good sound in your room, and programming is very easy, taken step by step in the manual, so you can transfer the same effect and line them up for a gig. // 9

Sound: I use a Pacifica 112 through it into a small Marshall amp which is good for extracting the effects properly. Most of the effects ar great, the wah is good but changes the sound of any effects with it (especially amp modeling). I can easily get the sound of guitarists such as Slash and there is a forum to submit famous gtrist's sounds to program in. The volume of each effect can be changed to create depth when changing effect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it for very long so I could not say how reliable it is but it is practical to use. The below rating is just so I can submit the review. // 10

Overall Impression: For rock or pop it is good, and I am constantly accidently making effects I recognise (such as the boulevard of broken dreams intro sound) if it were stolen I would definatorly miss it. // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: zx7r, on january 31, 2006

Ease of Use: The RP80 is a multi-effects pedal with a built-in expression pedal on the side. It's all digital so you have to go through menus and digits to change your sound. The display is annoying because it's only 2 digits so everything is abbreviated but things are shortened to really weird things e.g. auto panner is abbreviated to (n). The manual pretty much explains everything you need to know like how to edit effects and swap between them and it's not too hard to understand. There are 40 user and 40 factory presets but they're intially just copies of each other until you edit them. It's annoying because the footswitches only let you go up or down one effect at a time so if you want to switch effects during a song you have to stop playing until you get to the desired effect preset number. Each preset has a number 1-80 so if you start a song at preset 11 and need to switch to preset 52 you need to either hold the footswitch down until you get to preset 52 or press the footswitch 41 times which gets kinda annoying. I don't think there are ay firmware updates for the RP80 but if there are would somebody please e-mail me about them, preferably UK updates. Overall it's alright to use for playing by yourself but for a gig it's a bit complicated to use on stage and too fiddly. // 6

Sound: I use the RP80 with a Squier Showmaster guitar and a Fender Frontman 15R amp. The effects volume is not a problem because there are loads of different volume controls available to me. The original 40 presets are pretty good quality but getting that artist sound just right is extremely tricky. I've been trying to get a good Red Hot Chili Peppers sound since I got the RP80 but I can't if anybody knows how to please e-mail me. The wah effect is good but it can't be used in conjuction with the pickup simulator because the pedal just won't let you. It's annoying when trying to recreate a Hendrix sound with humbuckers when you can't simulate pickups and use wah. The expression pedal is pretty responsive, if a bit well light, but it does it's job and modulates the sound. Overall the sound is good and I think it matches the more expensive pedals on effect quality. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The RP80 is made of plastic on the top (not strong enough) but metal on the bottom so it makes up for it. The expression pedal is thin and flimsy I really wanted a big solid pedal that my whole foot would fit on. I wouldn't take the RP80 to a gig because it just couldn't handle it not that it would break but just that it's too fiddly for use on stage. Overall a bit flimsy but it's quite well put together just not made out of good stuff. // 7

Overall Impression: I've had the RP80 just over a month now and have found it could for using in the bedroom just to play around with guitar effects. I bought because it's cheap and for a first effects pedal it's pretty good. I did compare it to other pedals but they were just too expensive. I wish it had easier controls and dials to put in your tone, a bigger readout would be nice too, but I suppose for the money there isn't anything much better. If it were stolen I'd save up and buy another pedal maybe not the same one because I'd make sure I had more money to spend. If somebody tried to steal it and I caught them in the act I'd throw something big and heavy at their head! // 7

RP80 Reviewed by: TheDarkestNights, on march 20, 2006

Ease of Use: The DigiTech RP80 is incredibly easy to get a good sound out of once you have figured out what all the effects actually are. The tone is brilliant, and for those worried about a humming amplifier the RP80 has a built in noise gate. There are 80 different modes. They are two lots of the same 40 sounds. The first 40 you can alter to your whim. The second, you can't, so if you end up arsing up a setting, you can go to its opposite number and get the exact settings for it to reset it. // 9

Sound: I am using it with a Squire Affinity Strat and a Fender Frontman 15G amp (so if I can use it with this, it can be used with anything). As before mentioned, the RP80 has a noise gate built in so that there is no feedback. The efffects are powerful, but sometimes overly so. Some effects, when using right guitar and amplifier settings, can sound quite close to famous guitar players tones (i.e. Slash, Hendrix and Page). There is a very powerful distortion, a very good wah pedal and a delay effect(three highly useful settings). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I only have this effects pedal, and when I use it is works fine. I don't have a band to do gigs with, but if I did I would use this without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly old rock music and it is good for that. I have been playing for a year and have had this since Christmas and it helps with tonal matching for some of the artists I play. I am entirely satisfied with this product, but I haven't had any other effects pedalas to compare it with. // 10

RP80 Reviewed by: jthm_guitarist, on april 03, 2006

Ease of Use: The RP 80 is very easy to understand and use. It comes with 40 preset effects and 40 slots for you to build your own, which is more than enough. The only reason you need the manual is because all of the effects are abbreviated on the 2 letter screen. Some things you would never guess what it was if you didn't look at the manual. It can't have patches or be upgraded. It has a drum Machine too, but it doesn't go by beats per minute so it's hard to find a rhythm. // 8

Sound: I run through the pedal straight to an amp. I use a Jackson JS-20 (Whammy bar, single-single-humbucker). I use the RP80 with a 32W Fender amp or a 42W Ibanez amp. I usually play with the gain all the way up. But if I run through the RP80, there is an overbearing hissing noise. None of the noise gates worked. The first time this happened I brought it back to the store and they said something was wrong with it and set me up with a new one. But the exact same thing happens. So I have to play at about 4-5 level gain. The effects sound pretty good, but listening to it sounds so digital. One of the major reasons I bought it was the wah. It has 3 different wahs. While distinctly different, they were pretty weak. It has many other effects though. When using the expression pedal, it seems almost like it's either on or off. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for about six months, and it's pretty durable. It's small (so is the pedal your foot won't fit) so nothing's going to break off. If it was an important gig, I probably would rather play straight through the amp. // 9

Overall Impression: I play '70s/'80s rock - distortion, Whammy, solos, etc. This would be a good match for a beginner of any genre. If mine were lost or stolen, I'd probably wait a while, then there's a 50/50 chance I'd buy this one. I hate the quality of the sound if using distortion. Overall though, beginners should Pick this up. It has more effects than you'll probably use for a pretty low price. // 7

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 11, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: First off, this is a great pedal. This pedal is very easy to get a good sound out of. I don't know why people say you cant get good distortion: you can its called amp models which this guy has so many of that I'm not sure of what they are (what's a rectifier? I thought a hot rod was a car). The manual is great and easy to understand. This unit is also great because it can be used as a headphone amp(perfect for long car rides if you're not driving). I do not have any clue what a firmware number is and I bought this stock so it hasn't been upgraded. Also patches are very easy to edit and 40 user patches can be stored. The factory ones cannot be deleted but I think 40 is plenty for anyone. // 10

Sound: I am using an Ibanez GiO pack guitar with it and using a BX1200 bass amp (I play bass too, the effects don't work too well on bass but some do such as the wah and the distortion). The effects are awesome but there is definitely a large volume difference in some effects. That is ok though because the regular effect volume can be set and stored individually. There is also a master volume. You can get any (yes any) sound out of this thing if you're willing to experiment. Also, if you go to DigiTech.com, you can view and post custom patch parameters so if your looking for an artist sound, try that site. Best effects: distortion, wah (3 types), Whammy (worth 200 bucks). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guy is made of plastic with a metal bottom plate. I've stood on it with both feet, and it has survived some of my most spastic friends screwing with it with no scratches. I not only would but am going to gig without a backup because I don't have the money for a backup. If you have money a backup never hurts. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anywhere from jazz to heavy metal, and this can suit any of it. I have only been playing since Xmas '05 but I am better than my friend Who has been playing for about 3 years longer than me (he is a sax wizard though so he puts a lot of time into that). I didn't need to ask anything because of Musician's Friend's awesome feature of reading the owner's manual online. I love pretty much everything about it. I do not like that theres no power switch though, so you have to unplug from it when you're done. I love the expression pedal because I am a wah-freak. I did not compare, I just look on the internet and decided on this because of the price and the Whammy. // 9

RP80 Reviewed by: cartoonydude707, on may 15, 2006

Purchased from: www.musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: This pedal was the second one I got, my first being a DigiTech Grunge. this pedal comes with 40 preset effects, and 40 programmable ones. to get the sound you wanted all you needed to do was fiddle with some effect settings and you could get it. Editing the effects is very easy. it contains many different effects, each with different level settings. When starting out and trying to find your own sound, this pedal is pretty good. // 9

Sound: the sound quality is a different story. Whenever switching between effects, there is a pause, so this is not very good for live performances with immediate effect changes. Also, the distortion on it is really gritty and not as "kick your ass" as others. A feature I liked is that if you have a guitar w/ single coil pickups, you can turn on a setting which gives it a humbucker sound, and vice versa. // 5

Reliability & Durability: this thing can take a beating. The only problem I've ever had w/ it is that the expression pedal (optional) got really loose, but a few screwdriver turns fixed that. When fixing it I stumbled on the fact that the pedal's moveability can be altered, so it can change from loose to tight. this pedal is not the smartest thing to use in a gig in terms of sound quality, but if you do it will last the whole night. // 9

Overall Impression: I play music such as Metallica and AC/DC, and this pedal seems to work pretty well. I have use Stratocaster plugged into a Marshall, and the RP-80 and Grunge pedals seem to work really well. The only things I dont like about it is that it doesn't have really authentic distortion capabilities, and there is a delay in between switching effects. // 7

RP80 Reviewed by: Aj1991, on july 17, 2006

Purchased from: Custom Music

Ease of Use: This is my first effects unit and so far I have been pretty impressed. The RP80 has 80 effects, an inbuilt guitar tuner, an expression pedal and a drum Machine with over 30 different beats. It also has to large pedal like buttons that make it very easy to change between effects. It did come with a manual and I found it very helpful. But because it only has buttons you cant make an effect precisly the way you want it. // 7

Sound: I have only used it through a small Fender rumble amp but the effects sound good and loud. I mostly play rock music and getting a good distortion is easy but is hard to alter due to the buttons. But I can get some good Nirvana effects and some good Vintage and metal tones. // 6

Reliability & Durability: After comparing it to higher models of the RP series I probably wouldn't use this for a major show and definetly not without backup. Especially after seeing one of my mates RP80s expression pedal brake only after about 6 months or so. // 5

Overall Impression: Since I usually play rock music I really need a good distortion and this does provide a few good distortion effects but really nothing special. One major thing I wish I asked was thatif the store stocked and higher models because one of my mates has a higher model and it is leagues ahead of the RP80 and didnt really cost much more. One thing I do like about it is the drum Machine and the inbuilt tuner. If this was stolen I probably wouldnt be to concerned and I would probably buy the a higher model. // 6

RP80 Reviewed by: Simo_Strat_93, on october 02, 2006

Purchased from: custom music

Ease of Use: The RP80 is very easy to use if you are a beginner. Although trying find a good sound is not easy. It has 40 factory presets and 40 user presets. The manual is very good at explaining how to use it and how to make new presets although making new presets that sound close to good can be a challenge. // 7

Sound: I am using a Fender Highway One Strat and a Peavey 15 watt backstage amp. I find that nearly all the distortions are very noisy and make my guitar sound like its drowning. Some of the cleans effects sound good but some sound really weak. The wah is the worst wah I have ever heard. I can get some effects that sound like a cousin to some of Nirvanas but that is about it. Good luck trying to find a crunchy sound like AC/DC or Guns N' Roses. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I have had to send it away to DigiTech once to get the pedal fixed. I've also had to give it to custom music to solder some wires together and the power cord is always falling out while playing so I have to use batterys. Once I had batteries in and the power cord at the same time and the power outlet started burning. I can't depend on this at all and the only reason I would use it at a gig is because I don't have something else to use. // 3

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock but a bit of everything. I have been playing for over a year and I've found that if you pay the extra money and get a higher model up you are making a good choice. If it was stolen I would definetaly not buy it again. It is fairly easy to use and has about 5 good effects. The best thing on it is probably the the reverb. But it is not that good. The bottom line is you are better off buying another brand of effects or getting the higher models. // 5

RP80 Reviewed by: hemlock23, on december 08, 2006

Purchased from: Misicstop

Ease of Use: This little gem rocks! I makes sounds I never thought I'd get. I found it easy to get good sounds right out of the box, and after reading some of the manual easy, although a bit detailed, to edit the 40 user patches. The neat part is that any of the patches (1 - 40) can be custom tailored any way you want. I haven't discovered anything that is truly difficult yet. Some of the earlier posts carp about the distortion settings being crappy, but, where's the problem? Distortion is supposed to sound crappy, dude! // 8

Sound: I use 3 guitars: a Peavey JF-1 EXP (main axe), an Ibanez EX170 modded with Carvin H22 p'ups, and an Epiphone Les Paul Peewee for travelling. I have a Crate GTX-65 DSP amp, a crappy little 25 watt Yamaha AR-2500 and a battery/ac powered Epiphone Studio Mini. On the first use of the RP 80 I thought some of the settings were noisy, but then discovered that the noise gate (included) is quite adequate for the job. I don't think any of the effects are weak, but I would have liked a bit more spacious rotary speaker effect (BIG Leslie speaker fan, me) and I would have like to have a ring-modulator. My favourite players are David Gilmour, Mike Oldfield, Robert Fripp, Andy Summers, Phil Manzanera, Adrian Belew, Al DiMeola, you get my drift. I don't care for heavy metal very much (there, I said it), so I guess I stand somewhat alone in this crowd of Iron Maiden emulators. By the way, I love the whammy effect and feel unbelievably lucky that it was included in the RP80. // 7

Reliability & Durability: As far as dependability, I just got it a few days ago and have never gigged with it. The comments of others Who have seem to speak of it's durability. DigiTech is a good name, I think I'd trust it. Plastics today are different than they used to be, and some are tough as nails. Kevlar is a plastic, but so is margarine. // 5

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, some surf and hot-rod stuff to please others and I experiment to please myself. This pedal is definitely a good match for the music I play almost from a to z. I've played on-and-off for 42 years (more off than on, unfortunately), I also have a Dunlop Original Crybaby, a Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer and a Boss PW10 V-Wah, which is a pretty cool pedal, but the subject of another post when I get around to it. // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 14, 2006

Purchased from: backsalleymusic.com

Ease of Use: The RP80 has 40 presets to play with which are very easy to navigate through. I did have problems with figuring out how to do my own presets (but this may be due to me never having had a guitar pedal before)so I simply refered to the manual. I found that most of the presets were set to low. And if I didn't strike a string hard enough, that the RP80 wouldn't hear it. The only other gripe I have is that it sometimes takes away from my sustain by cutting the sound on a note to early. // 6

Sound: I am using a Les Paul copy guitar with a large keyboard amp. I found that a keyboard amp is the best way to use the RP80 as it doesnt't add or take away from the pedals sound (like my Marshall did). I have been listening a lot to Gary Moore lately, and have found that setting 11 with the expression pedal in the toe up possition was a good match, although not exact. A little playing about with it and I'm sure I'll get it how I want. It being my first pedal, I have been pleased with the sounds it can produce and don't feel I am limited by it. I like the acoustic sounds I can get. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have read that others have had problems with the expression pedal not working. I also had this problem, but I found that page 25 in the manual explains how to recallibrate the expression pedal, and it's working fine again. I have used it in a public situation and it held up just fine, but I'm not sure how it would do in a sweaty gig being stomped on. Also, I would have thought that a metal expression pedal would be a lot stronger. The plastic pedal seems a little weak. However, I've had no problems with it so far. // 5

Overall Impression: I play rock and blues. The sounds I can get from the RP80 are good enough for my use. I've been playing for about 12 years and this was my forst pedal. I've since bought a Danelectro Overdrive pedal which I can use in conjustion with the RP80. If it were lost or stolen, I would spend a little more money and go for the next modal up from the RP80. I went for the RP80 because it was the only multi effects pedal within my budget. I asked the shop assistant to demo it for me so I could see what it could do. My favourite feature is the expression pedal, although the amp modaling is great too. there's just so much that this little box can do! // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: SumFan98, on december 28, 2006

Purchased from: Music Center

Ease of Use: This pedal is decent, for the price. The Wah effect has always given me a satisfactory sound and some distortion effects are pretty good. I was disappointed with the flanger, though. If you try to make your own effects, good luck getting it to sound good. The presets are pretty much your best bets. I didn't use the manual. It was easy to figure out how to work this thing without it. // 7

Sound: I have a 120W Crate GTX212, but I don't use this pedal with it. When I first started out, I was using it with my Guitar Research VL-20, so you can't blame me for wanting to get an effect pedal. This pedal makes my GR pale in comparison when it comes to quality of sound, but my Crate can handle itself on it's own. The noisegate can either be your best friend or worst enemy. It tends to close too soon and cut off any hope of having a fade-out effect. I can't stand Preset-40. It is way too noisy, and you have no control of it. Like I said earlier, the Wah is pretty good. Some distortion effects are good, others, not so much. You can get a good grunge sound out of this, much like old school Weezer and maybe a little bit of Soundgarden. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I could definitely depend on this. It's durable, and I haven't encountered any technical difficulties. Despite it's flimsy appearance, this thing can stand up to a beating. I've never gigged this, mainly because I don't use effects that much. I would still bring a back-up, just in case. Always bring back-ups to gigs. // 8

Overall Impression: I mainly play pop-punk with my band, and I also play in a metal band. I do still play blues and soft music when I get the chance, so my musical taste is well-varied. I have been playing about 2 years. I played with the GR VL-20 and a Squier Telecaster Custom II (only Squier I would gig with) for a while until I got a Crate GTX212. I do wish I had actually used this before I bought it, but I was too ignorant back then to even care. I would not buy this again if it was misplaced. I love it's simplicity, hate it's sound (for the most part) and I love the Wah effect. I do wish it doubled up as a recording program, though. But that's asking a bit too much for 90 bucks. // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: prateek_santram, on february 16, 2007

Ease of Use: Ok, this is perhaps the easiest processors to use availible in the market. The preset patches suck though, DigiTech has probably tried to show the diversity of this unit. But almost none of the patches are good enough to use Live. However it is very easy to make your own patches. The manual isn't really required, but isn't too badly written. // 6

Sound: I use an Ibanez GRX20 and a 50 watt Marshall. It works pretty well with both of them. The noise gate is surprisingly decent and cuts any unwanted noise, though that makes it tough to sustain notes with distortion. The effects are okay if you are not looking for a professional sound. The amp models are decent, with the exception of the acoustic model. But then, I have yet to see a processor which can replicate the sound of a real acoustic. The effects module is pretty good, and it has some amazingly good ones like the Whammy and the harmoniser. Even the tremolo and envelope filters are good. The chorus effect dissapointed me as did the flanger and phaser. I am mainly a blues based rock player along with some progressive stuff. I can get a Hendrix type of sound and even a ZZ Toppish tone. Tones similar to the ones that The Edge produces are also possible. to The wah-wah is actually quite incredible and is certainly better than the one on the Boss GT3 (it's true)! However if you're going to expect a metal sound from this baby you'd better think twice. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It is not vey sturdy owing to the fact that it's made of plastic. I have already lost the value buttons. Also in all my gigs which are in the winter. the expression pedal loosens up considerably. I already do use it on gigs without a backup so I wouldn't know any differently. // 5

Overall Impression: I mainly play classic rock, but also dabble in funk, metal, blues and jazz. It suits my overall style except the metal part. I cannot re-create tones similar to Dimebag's or even Hetfield for that matter. I have been playing for the past 4 years now, but that's all I have. I mainly use this for my gigs and jam sessions, but I practise off my Marshall alone. I wish I had asked to see the Zoom catalog before buying this. If it were stolen I'd probably go in for a Zoom GFX3, though I am saving for a Boss GT8. I love the RP80's eas of use, though I wish it had more amp models. // 6

RP80 Reviewed by: Cheesy_Grin, on april 03, 2007

Purchased from: Sounds Great

Ease of Use: Because I had not been playing long when I first got the kit, I was obviously thrilled by it. I hooked it up and immediately I could make sounds that I didn't know guitars could create. The effects are perfect for a beginner, and it's easy to cycle through the effects. The 40 slots for your own effects are nice, but sometimes making them can be difficult. However, the manual is clear enough to get you going, and with time it becomes second nature. // 8

Sound: The sound from this pedal varies greatly. While the overdrive can be great, the sheer number of overdrive settings means there are bound to be a few duff ones. The chorus and delay are both very nice however, and make it easy to recreate songs by almost anyone, provided you read the manual and know how to change the rate of both. The expression pedal is a nice feature, but it rarely makes a big difference to your sound, and is best used as a volume pedal. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The pedal has lasted me almost 2 years now with no problems. It's sturdy, heavy and well built, and it will survive numerous accidents with ease. I wouldn't use a backup with it at a gig, although I'd likely prefer to use multiple, single effect pedals, as it is not really designed for Live use, and is more suited to private recording. // 9

Overall Impression: I play several styles of guitar, and the pedal always has something to suit whatever it is you want to do. However, if you want to stick to one kind of music, then this is really a waste, as it does not excel at any one thing, but is more of an all-rounder. I would therefore reccommend it to people Who just want to learn to play, and maybe write their own stuff, instead of people Who are in a band, and touring. // 8

RP80 Reviewed by: dudey5691, on august 24, 2007

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Ease of Use: Alright, as many will say this is a "beginner's pedal", but it's not only limited to that, I'd say that it could well be used in gigs. The sounds are not that bad for the price, and the fact that this is the lesser half of the RP-series. It's not comparable to a Boss GT-8 (which is utterly amazing), but is still good for what it's supposed to do: effects and modulations. Most of the presets suck, so don't expect them to be anything great. It's easier to make your own instead of messing around presets. And all this, of course, is easily laid down in the manual that comes with it. // 8

Sound: I use two guitars: Ibanez GRG170DX and Ibanez AS73G. I play through a Crate GT30, and sometimes a Rocktron R80. There is some feedback on the higher gain settings, but nothing too bad..unless you have a distortion pedal at full distortion hooked up to it. The effects are bad, but aren't nothing amazing. Flanger, chorus, and phaser are pretty sweet, tremelo's not too bad, I hate the Wah and Ya stuff. And the distortion for the pedal sucks, regardless of what people say. The cleans are very nice, and work well but unless you are using a boost or distortion (distortion at 0, level full, tone full), you're not going to get quite the tone your looking for, although if set right, you can use the boost pedal as a solo-option. I can manage the following band sounds: Metallica, Pantera, As I Lay Dying, Oasis, Silverstein, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Lenny Kravitz, ACDC, Guns N' Roses, Breaking Benjamin, The Strokes, The Ramones, Weezer, Green Day, MXPX, Senses Fail, Avenged Sevenfold, Rush, and some others that I seem to be forgetting. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for a year, with no problems at all other than the fact that my feet are too big for the small footswitches. I've gigged with it, at Battle of the bands, good sound, bad mistake to Switch presets in-song. So, if you plan to gig, make sure that you have the sound you want, and if you have distortion and cleans with an effect, make sure you have a separate distortion pedal, and set the effect to the expression pedal, so you don't have to switch presets. Besides the mistakes I made, very dependable/sturdy. I'd gig without a backup, as long as I had no other pedal, or had it AC powered. // 9

Overall Impression: I play basically anything that's not country/rap/hip-hop/rap rock. It's a pretty good match for the versatility that my playing requires. I've "played" for three years but only 1.5 years have been really serious. I also own a Boss DS-2, which is a great distortion pedal; and a good boost pedal for solos on this, since it has a solo-setting. I wish I could've went to Guitar Center before to try it out; I suggest that if you consider anything, try it out at guitar center first! I probably would've bought a Korg or Zoom then, but this works just as well. If it were stolen, I wouldn't buy it again, not saying it's bad, but I'd definitely save up for something like a Line 6 Pocket POD, which I know is an awesome little Machine. Overall: good pedal for the price, little annoying at times, but still good. Better for beginners, higher-skilled players might as well save for the Pocket POD. // 7

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2007

Ease of Use: The RP80 is a quite easy unit if you read the owners manual. Only 2 pedals to change the effects. It is easy to edit or make your own effects. The drum Machine is easy to use also. The manual explaines everything in an easy way. it gives you the description of every effect and tells you every option of how to make an effect. // 9

Sound: I am using a Fender frontman 15 amp with it and it eliminates the ambient, buzzing noise with the distortion on. There are 40 user effects available for the user to write over and 40 factory presets. Some of them aren't needed and some don't sound good, but most of them sound great. If your good at editing effects, you can almost create the sound of any artist. The only bad thing is the Whammy which has a delayed reverb sound that makes it sound that your in a small empty room, but besides that, everything is great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This unit is very sturdy and is made out of tough plastic, and metal. Some people say they've stood on it and it broke...What im wondering is why these guys try to break it to see if its durable? I think that if you try to be light with it, it will last forever. // 7

Overall Impression: I play alternative rock/punk and it does good if you know how to edit effects. I have been playing for three years now and I have messed around with many single effects and this one has all of them and just as good, I say, good job DigiTech. If this unit wa stolen or lost I would buy this and another pedal. The thing I love abot this is that it has all types of ways you can model a song. I also like the tuner which has led's that tell you if it's sharp or flat. // 9

RP80 Reviewed by: Blecter, on october 29, 2007

Ease of Use: First of all, the RP80 is a great multi-effects guitar pedal for beginners and those Who want something to mess around with. Most of the 40 presets are fun to play with, especially when you want to mix a song up. Then you have the 40 user settings. Find a preset that you like but is missing something? It is as easy as hitting the edit button to make it the way you like it. The effects are very easy to work with, though it can take a while to get the sound that you want. You can also move your patches so that you just need to hit one of the change buttoms to move to your next favorite setting. The manual for the RP80 was very helpful, as it describes what each effect does and is for. // 10

Sound: I have been running an Austin AU962AB Electric guitar through this pedal into a Crate BT1000 Bass Amp. It has so far worked for every application that I need it for. One of the downsides is that some of the distortions give a lot of feedback, even when your hand is on the strings. Most of the effects work well, except the wah setting. This is the weakest effect in this pedal, and the expression pedal on this board is a little small, thus hindering people, such as me, Who have larger feet. For the most part it is possible to get the tones of your favorite artists and songs, such as Slash's sound in Sweet Child 'O Mine and other songs like Enter Sandman. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Though this pedal is made out of mainly plastic, it is very sturdy. It can withstand the changing of effects to a large degree of force, though I wouldn't recommend dropping a hammer on it. Or jumping on it. I can depend on this pedal, and I feel perfectly fine going to a gig without a backup for this pedal. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is useful for pretty much every kind of music, be it from metal to blues. I have been playing for just over 4 years, and this has been the only effects pedal I have ever needed. I love the ease of use of this pedal. If something happened to it I would most likely purchase another, even just to fool around with. I think that the DigiTech RP80 is one of the best pedals available for people on lower budgets, like myself. // 10

RP80 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on june 11, 2008

Purchased from: Private Dealer

Ease of Use: You would have to be a total idiot not to be able to get a great tone out of this pedal. This is a vast inprovement over the RP50 which I was using up until a month ago, which I got rid of, because it wasn't compatible with my Crate GX-65 combo. I bought this used so it didn't come with a manual, but you can download it online at DigiTech's website for free. The only thing I needed to look up was the settings for the expression petal, other than that, it's almost just like the RP 50, only better. // 10

Sound: I am using my 2006 MIM Sunburst Standard Strat and my 1997 USA made, Crate GX-65 combo amp which together make a good pairing with this unit.I read a few reviews about this pedal before I bought it, and a lot of people were complaining about the quality of the effects. I don't have no problem with any of them at all. If you know what you're doing and know how to set this up properly, then this pedal will work and sound just fine for you without any problems at all.I can get anything I want out of this and make it sound good.I am so enjoying myself with this unit. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Just as with any pedal that you buy for your guitar, you take proper care of it and it will last you a lifetime. I am a firm believer in that. I had my RP 50 for over 5 years and used it on many gigs without having it break down on me at all, and I'm sure that this will be no exception. DigiTech products are great and long lasting, and IMO have a very good reputation among musicians. // 9

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and 80's hair metal, so this pedal is the perfect match for my style of playing. I absolutely enjoy using this pedal and seeing what type of tones I can get from it, especially with the expression pedal. Something like this is perfect for people Who are on a low budget and don't have the money to go out and buy all these fancy boutique pedals and boards, which I think are a total waste of space anyway. This is all you need. Rock on! // 10

RP80 Reviewed by: ugmung, on july 03, 2008

Purchased from: Zzounds.com

Ease of Use: It's a little confusing at first, but I got used to it. It's pretty easy to get a good sound out of it, if you're not too picky. The manual tells you a lot of things for this product, and guides you in the right direction. It's pretty simple to use, since it doesn't offer that much. // 9

Sound: I'm using this with a Ibanez RG7321 and a Cube 60. I only use this for my clean tones, because I don't really like my Cube's cleans all that much. It can be noisy if you're using a lot of compression or a high-gain amp model. The Noise Gate doesn't work too well. Instead of elimating the noise, it just elimates it when you're not playing. There's also a slight delay from when you stop playing and there's still noise for about half a second before it goes completely silent. The high-gain models suck, like really bad. They're really digital and just muddy and ugh, not fun stuff. I only use this unit when I want to play clean tones or if I when I'm bored. It doesn't sound very good. All the preset's except a few are really bad. The Phaser sounds a little weird to me, but the Delays and Reverbs are nice. The wah's are adjustable at all (from what I can understand) and that sucks. The whammy is pretty useless and the pitch shifter is kind of annoying to me. The chorus and flanger's are nice, I liked the sound of those. The EQ is pretty bad. I can't use it for much, but someone else might. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's made out of a durable hard plastic, but it can still break. You have to be careful with it or you much crush one of the footswitches or mess up the expression pedal. I would never use this at a gig, just strictly something to play around with. It could probably withstand a gig, but I wouldn't use it because it sounds like poo. // 8

Overall Impression: It's pretty crappy IMO. Everything sounds cheap and cheesy. It's pretty small, I didn't think it would be as small as it is. The expression pedal is kind of weird to move around because of the size. If this unit got stolen or whatever, it wouldn't break my heart. I wish it sounded better, it's $60 so I'm not really surprised. If you're looking at getting this, don't. I highly recommend getting something better. // 7

RP80 Reviewed by: Metallica Meat, on july 12, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal has some pretty good settings, And is quit easy to find a "base" for your sound. There are 80, as the name suggests, prefixes. There are tons of ways to edit a prefix, like being able to make a metal sounding prefix, to sound like a metal-flanger. The Manual is pretty nice, except is tells you things in one big mess, it doesnt't even it out, so it feels like you have a lot to read. The RP80 is the fourth in it's series. // 9

Sound: I am using Prefix 42 and 64 with a Schecter Diamond series guitar, through a Marshall 30 watt. It sounds like early Metallica stuff, stuff from Master Of Puppets. The metal sound is great, but sorta "Tinny". a lot of prefixes, don't even seem like they could be used if your life depended on it like prefix 47, it sounds like a chorus of dying cats. The sound is almost always powerful, but at times, when using the Buckethead-like reverb, you have to turn up your volume alot. You can get sounds that sound like Kirk Hammett, James Hetfield, Eric Clapton, Lynrd Skynrd, Buckethead, but it depends on how you specifically use each setting. And I assure you, I've tried desperately to make it sound like AC/DC, and you just cannot. Aside from, 47 a lot of the settings are nice, but some just sound SO muffled and strangled, I don't see how they could possibly be used. Prefix 42 sound very metal, but an annoying reverb is somehow on it.64 is great metal, along with 24. It has a Wah-Wah, but mine was Busted when I got it, I'm not sure how, I just could not access the "Wah". So watch out for that, try it out first. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it quite a bit, just not the "Oh, I gotta go run and turn up my volume for this setting" I would have backup, just In case, but then again, you should always have backup. But, if you wah-wah doesnt't work, like on mine. You probably wont be able to depend on the wah. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Classic Rock and Hard rock to Metal stuff. It gets Metallica's sound pretty well, even the sound of the sitar on "Wherever I May Roam". It's pretty hard to get a classic rock sound, so you usually have to go use a metal prefix, witch overall makes the songs way to screechy. I have been playing a little over a year now, and I know a Boss DS-1, witch sucks compared to this. I like my Boss one, but it seems only good if I had a pedal board and 40 other pedals. I wish I could have asked what it was made out of, it's made pretty cheap. The sound sounds heavy, the item not. I already have a ton of scracthes on it. If it were stolen, and I have alittle bit more money, I would buy an RP90 or higher, but only if I lost it. My favorite feature is probably the prefixes from 42-45. On 43 you can do the intro to "Enter Sandman" then quickly go to 42 for the Distortion. And 45 is like playing an Electric-accoustic, it sounds very basic, very beautiful. An I swear to god, 43 sounds the same as the guitars used on "One". It sounds like your Kirk, it's amazing. But I hate that my Expressions pedal, as they call it, doesnt't work. And I really wished it worked, I need it for the "Enter Sandman" solo. I would say that the RP80 is a great beginners pedal, and is great if you wont have a lot others. Editing the sound is cool, but after a while it gets old. it's the only thing I can use right now, and I'm not using my Boss because, it sounds like crapola. It is a lot better than a lot of cheap Boss pedals, but I'm not sure if it could hold out on more expensive, higher quality ones. // 9

RP80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 07, 2012

Purchased from: Coastal Music, Durban - South Africa

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, though you have to "scroll" through the programs, as it has no 'banks', so if the desired sound is 5 numbers down, you have to press the 'down' pedal 5 times to get there, and that can be a real pain in the butt, especially for live performances! I have put the clean guitar in 4, lead sound in 5, clean again in 6, distortion rhythm guitar in 3, lead in 2, etc, trying to get to the next desired sound with one or two presses of the pedal. Editing is not difficult. I found getting an even volume on all the programs the most time consuming task. The manual is fairly easy to use, explanations do need some imagination, but not Rocket science. I have used this pedal for 8 years now and never upgraded it, I have no idea how and why, nor the need to do so. // 5

Sound: My main guitars are a 1972 Ibanez Les Paul fitted with EMG HZ on neck and bridge, 1972 Ibanez Stratocaster (both lawsuit copies) with stock 1972 SSS configuration, Ibanez hybrid (Epiphone Les Paul body with 1981 Ibanez Roadstar II maple strat type neck with pups Ibanez Super 70 on neck, and DiMarzio Al Di Meola DP159 - neck on the bridge), 1982 Ibanez Roadstar II stock, 1981 USA Fender Bullet with Ibanez 1981 single coil pickups taken off a Roadstar II. The effect chain consists of DigiTech Whammy DT, Boss Acoustic Simulator, Boss Auto Wah, Boss Blues Driver, Boss Metal Zone, DigiTech RP80, Dunlop Cry Baby and Boss FV50 volume pedal. Main amps are Crate 65 solid state tuned up for rhythm work, and Carvin SX200 solid state tuned up for lead work. In both amps only the power amp of the clean channel is used, I.e. Sound processing comes solely from the pedals. The DigiTech RP80, as you can see, is last in the chain, with only the volume pedal after it. Initially for 2 years I used the RP80 as my sole processor. As a sole processor I found nothing wrong with the sound of the RP80, and used it extensively on stage and in the studio. I found most of the distortions to be fat and meaty, but the Compressor added a bit of 'tin' to the sound, IMHO. The only gripe I have is that there is a fraction of a second of total silence when switching from one program to another, while the effect 'considers' the request. That was extremely annoying on my first pedal, the RP 7 and was the reason to move to RP80, but it is still there, even though a lot shorter. Maybe I am the only one to hear it, but it irritates me. Nevertheless, 2 years of hard touring and studio work and countless recordings later I was very happy with the sound. In 2006 moved to stomp boxes for greater versatility. At the moment, in my effects chain, the RP80 plays the role of Chorus, Delay, Reverb and Noise Gate only, and these are switched on more or less permanently. I do realise that there is a drop in voltage when the RP80 is on, but since it is on all the time, the rest of my rig is adjusted accordingly. // 7

Reliability & Durability: As I said, 8 years of abuse and nothing wrong, not even a scratch in the sound or a dent in the chassis. I do not use any backup, but then I have enough pedals in my pedal board to get out of any situation unnoticed. Haven't been let down by the RP80 yet, though. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy rock, hard rock, classic rock and occasionally heavy metal. The rig I have can perfectly reproduce Gilmour, Blackmore, Iommi, Satriani, Malmsteen or Hammett. The effects I use on the RP80 are very well suited for the job. I probably would not have bought it had I paid attention to the patch changing issue (above), but if I lost it, I would replace it with the same, I do not need more. What I did not like about it in the years of it being the only effect I had is the small size of the pedal, very often in a fit of exaltation I would accidentally push on the 'up' pedal. This is now not an issue, as I do not use the RP80s pedal. I chose this because I was poor. I would choose it again because it is top notch and build to last. I wish it had true bypass. // 8

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Hyper Phase Stereo Phaser 8.5 Guitar Effects 05/29/2014