RP90 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 12/20/2011 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RP90
Aside from an arsenal of models to choose from, the RP90 features tone and effect libraries allowing you to quickly program sounds with ease.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Ease of Use: 8.1
 7.6
 7.7
 7.4
reviews (13) pictures (2) 29 comments vote for this gear:
RP90 Reviewed by: Aikoj, on july 16, 2008

Purchased from: Ted Brown Music

Ease of Use: This pedal is simple to use, there is an expression pedals, and two large 'buttons' you can change with your feet while playing either at home, or on stage. The manual is incredibly easy to understand, without babying you, it makes everything simple, and really helps you get the most out of this. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Fender Stratocaster with this, it never really gets obnoxious, it always gives a nice crisp tone, whether on heavy grunge or clean. I've tried setting these to the sounds of Satch, Vai, Stevens, and Rhoads, it works great. If you've ever heard "Air Guitar Hell" by Steve Vai, there are settings on this pedal to match that odd high second half of it, it's a pitch shifter, doesn't change the tone though. The distortion sounds great, the clean tone sounds great, the Wah can be a bit hard to get started honestly, but it is nice. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It hasn't failed me once, the pedal is made of pretty strong material as well, you don't have to worry with this one. However, some of their higher models are made of stronger materials, so though this is durable, there is always going to be that little worry in your head. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of blues, and light rock. But I also sometimes like to play metal, whatever I need to play, this always works. For example, I've played covers of Phantom of the Opera (Iron Maiden) and Fade to Black (Metallica) Live with these settings, this can easily match those guitars. And the acoustic setting on this sounds like a real acoustic not to mention. I'm completely satisfied with this pedal, the manufacturer has higher end models, but this one really has it all, and the price isn't that bad considering it wraps up about 25 other pedals at maybe $50 each into one). I really just love how versatile it is, trust me, whatever genre you play, this can pull it off for you. // 9

RP90 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2009

Price paid: C$ 91.5

Purchased from: the guitar shop

Ease of Use: I have recently purchased the DigiTech RP 90 and found it a great investment if you are on a close budget. for no more than 150 dollars you can get an amazing Drive and clean tone out of it. they also have a very strait forward manual. editing patches is also a breeze with the easy to use edit, store, and value butons. // 9

Sound: I am currently using a Epiphone Les Paul Special and a Fender Frontman amp and get a great metal, rock and clean tone. also I have recently created a patch that gets a Metallica distortion. The effects thata I am glad to own are the distorion, phaser and clean tones.(that I use the most) the only complaint I can share is that it is a bit chalenging to get the expression pedal to go from volume comtrol to Wah but when you do figure it out is sure as hell is worth it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I find that this peice of equipment is very reliableand have yet to preform a gig with it, but I am sure as hell going to use it, seeing as how I don't have a choice! If you do not try to break the pedal it will not break at all. it is made out of sturdy material but a hard stomp might disable it. // 9

Overall Impression: I think the RP90 is a good match for all players and if you are buying your first multi effect pedal I recoomend the RP90. I ahve been playing for 4 years now and am happy to have it to create killer riffs and patches that let me express how I'm feeling. If it were unfourtuneatly stolen, I might buy another one but by then I'd probs have a job and be able to buy a higher priced pedal or go for the Boss me20. // 9

RP90 Reviewed by: DrakeTheOne, on august 23, 2011

Purchased from: Tanque Verde Swap Meet

Ease of Use: I've had this Multi-FX pedal for a couple of weeks and I love it. It quickly became an important part of my set-up. The Presets are easy to edit, just the press of a few buttons, the manual is easy to understand, and it sounds great even through a low end amp. // 8

Sound: I run a Custom Strat through it and a Frontman 15. The only noise is coming from the amp itself, as frontman are notorious for. The pedal itself, sounds great. I haven't really found a preset that I would call my favorite, I editted them all to my liking. The pedal's effects are all great sounding, and fun to use. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I really do feel that it is the most important peice of my rig. And I'd trust it more than the amp itself. I feel that I can depend on this to keep my sound even with a lot of abuse. The ONLY real downside, is tat you can't use amp models and Stomp Boxes at the same time. Otherwise I'd say it is perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: I play almost any genre of music and it fits for all of them. The drum Machine is a great addition too. The only thing I wish is that the presets would be named. The 90 used alot of mumbers and abreviations that can get a bit confusing. The bigger models have named presets, so an upgrade is welcome after a bit. // 8

RP90 Reviewed by: XeoFLCL, on august 25, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal is overall amazing effects-wise. It has tons of different kinds of chorus, flanges, reverbs, delays, pitch shifters, detuners, everything. Making your own preset takes half a minute at the most. This gets a 9 in ease of use, due to how much variety you have and how easy it is to setup a preset. // 9

Sound: I use my DigiTech RP90 with an Ibanez RG7620 and a Washburn WG587. I find that I have alot of trouble getting a good sound out of the amp models being they're all just cheesy, and I usually just turn off the amp modeling and throw it into the effects loop, while I throw my DigiTech Grunge infront of the amp. As for the effects, they sound amazing, and they have quite a bit of range and rate to them. Really nice for DSP effects. This gets a 7 because of the really cheesy amp modeling, but the effects make up for that really. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is where the pedal took a crap on me. Within the first month of having it, the input jack started acting weird, whereas it'd go out if touched. The thing is, I hadn't even taken it out of the house yet, so this was a big issue, showing that it prolly couldn't withstand gigging whatsoever. But oddly, the expression pedal and everything else has held up flawlessly. // 6

Overall Impression: This pedal is a powerhouse, and it suits just about every effect you need. Only big issue is they aren't very durable, so if you have one, treat it lightly. If it was stolen, or if I lost it, I prolly wouldn't buy another. I'd just save up 200 more dollars and get a DigiTech RP500. I'd possibly think different though, if the input and output jacks weren't made of cheap plastic, and were replaceable. // 7

RP90 Reviewed by: Levi79, on january 08, 2009

Price paid: C$ 160

Purchased from: No Fret Music

Ease of Use: If you are on a budget this is definatley the processor for you! This thing is amazing for the cost! it is simple to get a good sound out of it and the patches are pretty easy to edit. there are 50 presets for you when you get it. the manual will tell you what effect is which number and tells you pretty much everything you need to know. This processor is super easy to use! // 8

Sound: I am using this thing with my little peavy backstage and it sounds wonderful! on certain metal settings it can get scratchy when you slide on your strings, but other than that there is near 0 noise, you can use the noise gate if you want to, then there is no worry with that issue. I personally think all of the effects on this processor sound very good. I have gotten some perfect jimi hendrix tones with this baby, I have a hendrix wah effect and a blues rock effect. the acoustic effect on this is awesome, everything on this processor is very good // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm pretty much just a jammer, I'm not in a band because I Live in a very small town so I wouldn't be the one to ask if I would gig with this, I think I would. I really think this is a good unit and I don't think I would need backup and from what I see there is no scratches or nothin yet but it is plastic not metal like the RP250 but if you aren't hard on your pedals you will have absolutely no problem, because I nail on my pedals and it is fine. // 7

Overall Impression: I play metal, blues, rock, punk and classical, this thing works for everything if you ask me. if this unit was stolen from me, I would probably buy an RP250 but this is an amazing deal for anyone on a budget, or anyone period. I love the fact that it is black and I like the wah, it's just so much fun! I compared this to other DigiTech processors and thought this was the best bang for my buck, and I was totally right. I wish this processor had computer connectivity and downloadable patches, but really, can you expect that for this price? no. the last thing I have to say is if you are on a budget definatley buy this processor, it is amazing for it's price! // 8

RP90 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 15, 2010

Ease of Use: This is an excellent multi-effects pedal, the best I've ever had. If you haven't used a multi-effects stompbox before it might seem complex because they all are for the inexperienced. But if you've had one before, this baby is really easy and intuitive to use. // 9

Sound: Digitech's contemporary RP line has really great sound from the chip it uses for all units, from the bottom end to the top. I've had these by the same brand before and they keep getting better. I use it mostly with a PRS mahogany guitar and a Fender 212 100W amp. The results rock! The modulating effects I find are as good as individual stomp boxes and the reverb is Lexicon, so really good, although I prefer the one on my Fender amp to jam so I only use it to record. The main improvement I find compared to previous DigiTech lines, are the amp modelling settings. As many do, I used to automatically discard multi-effects distortions as cardboard crap, but this unit made me completely change my mind. My particular favorites are the Fender Twin Reverb (I'm a big Fender amp fan) for cleans and slight breakup, and the Marshall JCM 800 for a classic rock type distortion. The Mesa dual rect is good for metal or hard rock. The rest kinda suck, like the Vox and Matchless, but I'm not too familiar with those amps so I'm not sure if the DigiTech has done them poorly or if I would have disliked the real amp in the first place. The stomp boxes all kinda suck too, but I have tried most of the real ones and came to the conclusion long ago that I wasn't into individual distortion stomp boxes. They just sound fuzzy and fake to me. I'm actually not really big into effects and only use a bit of chorus, flange and delay sometimes. So this box to me is most valuable as a middle man with my amp for live playing or a recording/practicing. Live I like the noise gate, which works quite well, and the Compressor to tame my amp. The tuner also works well and is really practical for live tuning between songs. Also the drum Machine is great for home practicing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far it hasn't failed. But I treat it delicately because it has a plastic housing. I've gigged with it with no issues but I would be careful with it. By no means should you really stomp on it if you want it to last. But if you're aware of this and don't need to jump around wildly on stage while hitting the footswitch you'll be fine. Just tap lightly the button. // 5

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, blues, some jazz, funk and reggae. I can find sounds that fit all these genres. Been playing about 15 years and with it I've used a PRS mahogany solidbody with it (the one that responds the best to it), an Ibanez jazzbox which also works well, a Washburn dreadnought Acoustic with a Seymour Duncan soundhole pickup (works reasonably well) and a classical with a contact pickup, which I have yet to get to work the way I had hoped, with any equipment. Amplifying a classical is just really hard. If this DigiTech were lost or stolen I'd but another from the same line immediately or try a competing brand like Korg or Line 6. I can't say how this compares to those but I expect it holds its own. I do know it is far superior to a Zoom. But in general, years ago these multi-effects devices sounded really fake so I was a guitar straight to amp guy for the longest time, until I gave them another chance recently and wow, what a change. They've advanced so much that I wouldn't be surprise if in a few years these become the norm, even for pros. I challenge anybody to tell the difference on one of my recordings with the Fender Twin on slight breakup and the real amp. I'm betting they can't, cause I can't. // 9

RP90 Reviewed by: icpgettozone, on october 07, 2008

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Ease of Use: I'm going to start off by saying I payed about 40 bucks more than I shoulda payed. That sucks. Well it's cool especally caz it's my first ever Modeling Guitar Processor. I haven't done any editing to it yet. The drum Machine is kinda shitty too. The manual is pretty useful, caz with out it I wouldn't kno the names of certian effects and how to use the drum Machine. I haven't downloaded any amp modles or effects to it, and I'm prolbley not going to becasue I'm happy with the pre sets. And I'm shure that the average guitar player would be too, but if ur an over the top gear head. it's not for you. But it's a huge step up from no processer, to having one a ha ha. And it also has a built in tuner. Which all of the RP series has. So that's noting special. // 8

Sound: I run this with my Ibanez EX 160 or LTD F 50, or any other guitar I can get my hands on. It will make a cheap amp sound good too (as long as the speaker isint shitty). But I mostley use my Peavy Studio Pro 112. The effects wont ever sound weak, unless you want them to. But that's because you can set the effects level any where between 0 to 99. I don't play a lot of artists songs with effects. Unless there song actally has those very effects in it(chorus, reverb, or flanger) is wat I use mostley. But wen I'm dickin around makin up shit the effects can make it a whole lot cooler. The factor pre set acessable by the foot pedals wen I'm feeling lazy and don't wanna get techinal with it is set to 51. Just for those Who would wanna test this out before buying I feel would like the distortion, 45 is good too. On top of that all you have to do with any foot Switch setting is press the effects libary and bam 20 pre set effects which are pretty bad ass. I am rather dissapointed in the expression/wah wah pedal tho. It is no subsitute to a real wah. The Expression pedal is the whle reason why I bought this and not the RP 50. But I guess it's better to buy the bigger modle any ways. But I'm still pissed I paied around 150.00 adding tax to the orignal price. That certian music store is ran by crooks. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't gig. Mostly play with friends or by myself. I've had it for a month now. It seems to be holding up. I'm not taking any special care of it or anything. I hope it will last caz I will not buy another if this one breaks down. To gig with it I would say it would hold up. But it's nowhere as easy to use as a stomp box. You can't cycle though effects with it. Only the factory presets. But if you were to mod it and set up with certian chains in certian orders I guess it would work. But be warned. The pedals are super sensitive, If you press it too hard long and it will start cycling through pre sets like a Machine gun goes through clips. And I'm guessing the same for user added effects. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostley metal and genras of that nature. I don't stray far from the pack of teenagers out there playing everyday. I have around 3 years of experince playing and I'm getting pretty good. And I've gotten tons of knowledge from talkin to experinced players. Like my friends Who like to keep it in the family and play guitar like there Dads. One thing I forgot to mention is you can run stomp boxes along with headphones. you only have to plug it in and run ur guitar into the imput. Bam you can play all night and not bother anybody. But make shure you have good head phones or ur not gonna get any good sounds. I can't compair this to anyting else, because it's my first effects box. If I lost it ide be pissed caz I paied so much for it, stolen ide be pretty pissed too. But I probly wouldn't buy another onna these. If the RP 50 is anyting like this ide just go buy that. I do like how my friends envy this ha ha. it's kind of a Status thing now. I hate how I paied too damn much and the wah wah pedal sucks ass. In fact it's more like a volume pedal. I chose this effects box caz the box was black and covered In Flames and it had a(at the time I thought) a cool wah wah pedal. I really wish the wah wah was decent, because I haven't had the chance to actally use one yet. I guess certian people wouldn't be disappointed with it. // 7

RP90 Reviewed by: know101, on july 20, 2009

Price paid: C$ 120

Purchased from: Music stop

Ease of Use: I find the RP90 is fairly easy to use if you read the manual, and take a week or two to get the hang of it. It is also very easy to get started because there is alot of presets in the RP90. There is one in particulair that sounds almost exactly like AC/DC I realy don't know if it was done on purpose or it just ended up like that, but I realy only use the setting for playing AC/DC. The editing on the RP90 is fairly easy as long as you alway look back to the manual to double chex on what your doing, because there is such a lage database it can get confusing at times. Overal it is very easy next to other multi effect prosesors. // 7

Sound: The sound on the RP90 is great for practice, or on stage. I use the RP90 with my Les Paul and a Pevey amp witch I keep on clean with no eq why using the RP90, becaus the RP90 has all the fx, distortion, courus I will ever need, and then some. The editing is prety good too. It also comes with presets witch will nerver be lost from editing because they go from 00 to 99 and 1 to 50 and 51 to 00 match up so 1 and 51 are the same 2 and 52 are the same and so on and so on. And you can only edit 1 to 50. So this is great so you can edit it to get the sound you are looking for and you can keep the prestets witch some can be next to impossible to recreat. So you always get great sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is very dependabel any where you go with it. Like one time it fell of a 10 foot stage and all the cords stayed attached to it and we just keep playing the song then after the song I need to change to a different setting so I went to Pick it up and there was not even a scatch, and I have never used a back up for the RP90. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for any style of music because you can make it sound like almost anything, even a electric can sound like a Acoustic with preset 31/81. I have been ussing it for about 9 months now and it has never let me down. Of this where stolen I would be very upset and probobly have who ever stoled it hunted down because this is my favourit pice of equipment ever. My favourit feature would have to be the head phones because I can play it in hotle rooms with out geting kicked out. The only thing I wish it had was lager foot pedals because I am always scared to hit the wrong one and I have a few times in prctice for songs that requier more then one setting but I have never missed live so I'm good. // 10

RP90 Reviewed by: DimeBomb, on july 01, 2010

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk/

Ease of Use: This was my second multi effects pedal from Digitech, I originally owned a RP50 and decided to upgrade. I found it easy to get a usable tone, mainly by editing presets which is simple. There is 50 user and 50 set presets. You can get a vrairtiy of tones ou of this. I was originally impressed by the effects but now I have gained a ear for tone I wish it had more options to tweak, also if it had different ettings for the amp models. The manuel is simple, easy to understand and after a while you can remember all the different options, by which I mean: H2 equals DigiTech Whammy up 2 Octaves and c4 is a moderate speed of a Boss CE-2. // 7

Sound: I have a simple and cheap setup my guitar is a BC Rich M7 Warlock into the RP90 then an old 10 watt Marshall (The Old MG Model). It can be very noisy but with my poor amp and weak stock pickups I struggle to get feedback, most often when I want it, but there is always a built in adjustable noise gate. I struggle to get tones like songs I like without help from youtube. I would say the effects are average but I just which there were more adjustable paremeters. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would gig withit, and it would be without a backup because I don't own one or have any friends with a similiar product, but I hope to upgrade my amp soon so I will rarely use this because I ownly rely on this for distortion and a chorus for my clean tone. But I could depend on this for a gig, or I hope. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal, thrash, death, metalcore, nu-metal, all over the place from Metallica to BFMV to Cannibal Corpse to Korn. I've been playing for about 1 and 1/2 years and not as good as I think I should, espcially on lead playing. If it were stolen I would most likely spend more on some Hardwire pedals, TL-2 and a Chorus. My favourite feature is the amp models or the Whammy pedal. I wish I had kept the old RP50 for chorus and bought a TL-2 from hardwire. // 7

RP90 Reviewed by: Beatwstick, on september 06, 2010

Ease of Use: If you read the manual, it's dead simple to program and rearrange settings. The manual is a bit cryptic about certain things, like effects levels (ex "what's the difference between level 1 and level 9 of the flanger?") and many things are left for the user to discover. Offers basically no computer connection save for a mini-audio jack for headphones/recording. Otherwise, plug in a guitar, plug in an amp, and go. // 8

Sound: I use this with a Fender Frontman 15W (yes I plan on upgrading) and an Ibanez GSA60 (good beginners guitar), and my friend uses the same device with some Line6 15w and an Epiphone SG, with similar results. My main complaints are as such - preset volume spread and tone. Heavily distorted settings must be played on a very low preset level to get the same volume from a clean setting on max preset level. In other words, be ready to use the expression pedal to change the volume when switching channels. Also, keeping the distorted settings in check volume-wise tends to make tone suffer. On that note, it is somewhat difficult to get an excellent tone on this machine. You can create certain tones, but if you want to consistently model your favorite artists, get a larger, more complex "board" style multifx pedal, which will give you tone, ease of use, and more options such as amp models and more diverse effects. Effects are based on the most common settings, for example you can only adjust the level of phasing, not the speed of depth. The product is also true to it's brand name, as it has a distinctly digital tone, especially through headphones or on high treble eq settings. If you are willing to experiment, however, you can create some really cool sounds. Creative use of the Whammy and pickup modeling can create an impromptu Bass sound 1 (or 2) octaves down, which I think sounds pretty convincing. One more thing on sound - if you don't want to play around with this thing and just want to plug and play with the built in presets, don't because they kinda suck. Final note: you CAN get some really good tones out of this thing, but you have to work on it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Never had a problem with it, and it's been kicked around plenty. // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything from Acoustic to heavy metal, an it suits my needs to a certain extent. I just wish it had more features, but it's got a good amount for the price. Worth a buy for the budding guitarist, but if you want to perfectly emulate your favorite artists or fine tune your own tone without buying a bunch of single effect pedals, spend your money on something bigger and better. // 7

RP90 Reviewed by: grimey93, on june 03, 2011

Ease of Use: I have to say that this multi effects has a good variety of modulation and time effects. The distortion and amp/cabinets are terrible though. The manual is fairly easy and tells you the order the effects go through. It also gives you everything you need to know about the pedal and the different types of effects that are built in. // 5

Sound: I use this effect with my Wah pedal and a Line 6 Spider 4. The pedal takes a lot away from the distortion on my amp. I haven't really used this in combonation with my wah. The distortion effects on this pedal are very weak. that's why I use my amps effects, but I plan on buying a deltalab distortion in the future. Getting the sound of your favorite guitarists. There is not a lot of customization with this. Its just 10 options of each effect. // 3

Reliability & Durability: It is not the most dependable pedal. Sometimes the up and down pedals jam and will only go down so I have to go through all the effects backwards to get to the pedal I want. I would use a backup because of the jamming and since it only runs on a ac adaptor and not a 9v. There is also no true bypass which is a letdown. // 7

Overall Impression: This is great if you can't afford a bigger better pedal. The distortion is not that great for anything. There is nothing good for a clean sound really. I wish I would have asked to have more time trying it out instead of deciding to buy it in 5 minutes. I would have rather bought seperate pedals. // 6

RP90 Reviewed by: Guitar_Hero502, on july 19, 2011

Purchased from: Standard Music

Ease of Use: This is the easiest multi-effect I've used as far as getting good sounds and editing patches go. With some practice I managed to edit on stage a couple times. It's not that hard, but don't expect to pull of major changes. The manual makes it VERY easy to understand, and the best feature is the guide to which amp model is which and which preset is which etc. // 10

Sound: I'm playing with an Indonesian 2003 Affinity Series Squier Strat and a Vox Pathfinder 15R and with some Danelectro mini-pedals for an occasional compress or sustain boost. It was a little noisy when I played without a noise gate, but that is pretty much always on for me. The effects almost always sound good, the only time they don't is if you use too much chorus or phaser, or play chords while usuing distorion and a pitch shifter. Other than that, perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it for just about any style I can play. I make frequent tweaks to my Distortion patches considering I play in my church's youth band, and it still holds up. I constantly gig without backups. I can't get the same sounds with the pedals I have. // 10

Overall Impression: I play basically anything but Pop and Country. It fits it all perfect. I've been playing for a year and the other Pedals I own are all the Danelectro Minis. If stolen or lost, I'd probably get one of the other RP's just to have more options. I love the fact that it has soooo many combonations to suit everything, but hate that it doesn't sound that great with pitch shifter. Wish it had a harmonizer. // 9

RP90 Reviewed by: techroach, on december 20, 2011

Ease of Use: Its very easy to use. Straight forward buttons and controls. But at first, I had trouble how to get the Wah-Wah Pedal to work. Had a hard time figuring it out. Lots of patches are available on haax.se. That makes my life easier. I got a manual with it. But I'd rate its clarity as 6.5/10. // 8

Sound: I use a J&D electric guitar which is basically a Stratocaster copy. There aren't stray noises from the unit. Sound output is mostly very clean. I like to play in the kind of distortion Slash (GN'R lead) uses. I can get very close to it. But it never actually sounds the same. Generally, it gets close to a lot of artist sounds. But still not clear enough. // 7

Reliability & Durability: VERY UNRELIABLE. It has gone down on me on my last stage. To be exact, one of the change buttons suddenly stopped working. It isn't meant for rough use. Or for dusty surroundings. I had to play this open-air gig on a sandy ground and that's when it cheated me. // 1

Overall Impression: I play rock & roll mainly. Also play pop songs for the college band. It is a very suitable unit for versatile styles. If it were stolen, I would definitely never go for this pedal again. I think there's no point in buying this pedal since I personally value reliability the most. // 3

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Hyper Phase Stereo Phaser 8.5 Guitar Effects 05/29/2014