RPx400 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 07/12/2005 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: RPx400
The RPx400 is a modeling effects processor that allows seamless transitions between live performance and recording applications.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Ease of Use: 7
 7.9
 8.8
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
RPx400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 04, 2003

Ease of Use: It took me about a day before I started to make my own presets, but now I'm a master at it. The recording is hard. Especially if you don't have Windows XP or 2000. // 6

Sound: You can model amps like a Fender Twin, Marshall stack, or even a flattop acoustic. There is a lot of feedback, but with the noise gate on, it is silent. The effects are good, but the presets are sometimes too loud or quiet. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's very sturdy. You don't have to worry about bringing a backup because the only problems that you may have will come with the recording software. And if the presets you want are far away, you won't be able to get to them in time. // 8

Overall Impression: This is, in my opinion, the best pedal you can buy. If you were to go out and buy all of the effects and amps seperately, (Whammy, 65 Twin Reverb), you would probably either be rich, or incredibly stupid. So if you aren't either of the two, grab this. // 10

RPx400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 16, 2004

Ease of Use: Right out of the box it sounds great! Creating your own effects is very comprehensive and simple to do once you load the computer interface software. The effects can then be saved back to the floor processor and used, sans computer, on stage. Built-in effects are fun to play with too! The unit comes with a DigiTech manual and a ProTracks (by Cakewalk) manual. Both are pretty good, but DigiTech seems to offer more support for ProTracks than Cakewalk does. It's like Cakewalk wants nothing to do with this venture or something, which is too bad because it's an excellent recording software with a lot to learn with great rewards. // 6

Sound: I play a Jackson with Seymour Duncs and monitor everything through AKG headphones. All the effects are great quality and can be modified to suit your taste. The stock "Artist" sounds are really well built. My setup: Guitar and headphones plug into the back of the RPx400 then the RPx400 plugs into USB port on the computer which routes the sound to the X-Edit Software(Onscreen Guitar Effects Manipulation) and then off to ProTracks Software for recording. Hit the "Drums" button on the RPx floor proceesor and start jammin! The Drums are kinda cheesy sounding(I've heard worse), but they will keep your rhythm in time and you can change tempo and style. Afterall, it isn't called the RPx Drum Machine, but this is where ProTracks comes in. You can use any drum loop you can get your hands on and lay drum tracks all day long! Good ones that eliminate expensive drum machines. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Can I depend on it? Easily. It's a tough, amazing all-in-one, versitile unit. // 10

Overall Impression: 10 years ago I used to play all kinds of intruments and write music in my own mini 4-Track rec studio to cassette. I recently got back into it and researched the new world of recording "software". This stuff is amazing! Better quality and incredible manipulation of music tracks. RPx400, headphones, guitar and computer. Period. If you ask me, DigiTech is selling you an awesome effects processor and giving you the educational gift of ProTracks and MIDI-software recording. If you're just looking for an effects pedal, do yourself a favor and add a couple bucks more, get this unit and an eye opening experience! Well worth it. Side note: I gave the "ease of use" a "3" because the ProTracks manual is kinda vague and you have to go snoop around on the internet for answers. I gave the "sound rating" a "4" because I occasionally hear a static sound from my guitar when the strings are at the end of their tone (This could be my guitar or some interference though. Still not sure). Also, they say it can be used on a lot of Windows platforms (98SE, WinXP etc.) but be advised that I am somewhat of a computer geek and recommend Win2000pro for any high end software as it is much, MUCH more stable than any other Windows product. // 10

RPx400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 20, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: I've downloaded the manual days before I got my RPx400, and reading it really helps. It would only take 20 minutes to have a background about the product and how it works. Installing its softwares was easy. After that, editing patches seemed to be pretty easy too. Don't expect to have the gear and instantly know what to do - read! // 8

Sound: I have a gibson Les Paul and a self-made amp. The presets of the RPx are not that good. But after editing them and making my own patches, it was a smooth ride all the way. Having a digital guitar processor would really make a difference in sound because you can edit every part of the sound that you desire. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Backup is not needed. Need I say more? // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great product by DigiTech. I can record my compositions with ease. If it was to be stolen, I'd find the bastard and fight for my RPx400, haha! For the price I got this one, I'd ask nothing more. I compared it with GFX products, but my heart fell for this one. // 10

RPx400 Reviewed by: bryan j, on july 12, 2005

Purchased from: B&B Music

Ease of Use: It's farely easy to use once you read through the manual once or twice. Once you memorize all the abreviations for things it's easy. Editing goes exactly with the above. The manual is great it explains everything in detail and tells how to access it and what the effect or model or whatever sounds like. // 8

Sound: I use it with my Epi '61 Les Paul Reissue into my Fender Stage 1000 or Frontman 15 amps. When I would use it with the 15 it made a huge differnce because the amp is crappy. My Stage 1000 though has better effects on it so I don't really use the effects of the pedal for it. So you have to understand if you are looking to buy one of these that for 200 dollars just about you are getting like 25 different effects. For this price these are not going to be amazing effects with a lot of adjustment. But for the price its great these effects are good for fool inf around with but most are not really usable for high sound quality. This thing is quiet my amps make quite a bit of noise when they are on but as soon as I turn this on it goes silent. The standout effects in my oppinion are the amp models which are amazing and can boost your amp to however much distortion you want. Delay is also good with 2 seconds of selectable time and 3 different types. And reverb is good. Wah is bad but who cares. If you want good wah by a CryBaby or something. // 8

Reliability & Durability: 5/5 is the easiest way to put it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of shred which works good because with the combined distortion of my amp and this put together you can get some crazy tone. If it were stolen I would only buy something else because I bought this before I got my new amp which has effects on it. I would probably buy a distortion of wah pedal if you have an amp with descent effects on it. My favourite features are the amp models cabinet models (yes you can make your combo sound like a 412 somewhat) and the tuner which makes it super easy to get to alternate tunings and is very accurate. // 8

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ JamMan Looper 9.6 Guitar Effects 09/11/2014