Scott Ian Black-13 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 01/23/2013 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: Scott Ian Black-13
Now Scott's teamed up with DigiTech to unleash Black-13, a stompbox that lets guitarists dial up his signature sounds, giving Anthrax and metal fans all the blistering tone they can handle.
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.1
 9.1
reviews (4) pictures (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Scott Ian Black-13 Reviewed by: shugo449, on october 09, 2006

Ease of Use: The Black 13, the new signature pedal from Scott Ian, is an amazing pedal. It is extremely easy to use, even a knew player that's only been playing guitar for a couple weeks could operate and get an awesome tone from it. The manual is great, if you couldn't figure out how to operate by just knowledge of how a pedal works the manual will definitly help you out. it's still help for to look in there if you know how to use it allready. As well as that, the packet gives you presets for the sound of the recordings (each setting mimicks a previous Scott Ian tone) but you can also edit it to your preferances. // 9

Sound: The sound for this is amazing, perfect for any Anthrax cover but setting 6 inparticular is very good for covers of early Avenged Sevenfold and tones on Trivium's "Ascendancy". When I use it, I play with a Jay Turser standard and a Peavey 112 Bandit. I know I don't have the best gear, but the Black 13 fixes that, it makes my guitar wail with amazing distortion. On settings 1 and 2 though it gives a lot of feedback if you have the "level" setting high enough, but otherwise, no interfearences. Bedides distortion, it has a setting called "Finalle" (setting seven, the last setting) in which there is a delay with a pitch shift. You can adjust how fast the delay is and if the pitch shift goes up 12 semitones, down 12, or anything in between. The down side to that is, you can't take of the pitch shifting effect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Black 13 is very reliable. From now one whenever I play a gig with my band that's what I'm using. I can completly depend on it for all my distortion needs. The pedal is really easy to tap with your foot too, so that makes it even easier to use on stage. I can also depend on it not to squel when there's a pause, I just don't use setting 1 or 2. As for durability, it's still in good shape, but I've only had it for two weeks. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of the Black 13 is that this is a decently affordable pedal with good distortion and a cool unadvertised effect. I mainly play metal like Avenged Sevenfold Or Trivium, as I stated before. I also play hardcore stuff like Rise Against. This pedal is amazing for both. If I lost it or it broke I'd kill someone to get back done to Guitar Center and replace it. If you want to play amazing metal or hardcore get this pedal. What are you still sitting there reading this for? Go buy this pedal allready! And remember, if you and your band are doing a cover of Trivium's "A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation" and your in the middle of the solo, makes sure you don't step on it and turn of the distortion, trust, it's not fun! // 10

Scott Ian Black-13 Reviewed by: Slaytanic1986, on september 09, 2006

Ease of Use: I love this pedal, it's really simple to use, the 7 preset tones (of classic Scott Ian songs) are changable by one knob, and then 2 other knobs are used for changing bass or treble ammounts on those pre-set tones. It couldn't be easier. It came with a manual that explains how to work everything, which to be fair you don't even need. // 9

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez GAX75 with a 50 watt Laney Hardcore amp, and I have it on a completely clean tone, the pedal does everything. There are 7 set tones, which you can manipulate as you choose, with 12:00 on the treble and bass knobs being the tone that Scott himself uses. It's really simple to sound exactly like Anthrax. I feel that having 7 effects is slightly pointless, as most of them sound very similar, so I tend to stick to the "I Am The Law" and the "Madhouse" effects. The 'Finale' effect is good, but you cannot make the delay just stay at the same tone, it always either goes up or down as it fades, which is a little annoying, and you can't switch out of the effect to another mid playing as it is changeable by knobs, so I ust turn it off and use my Tubescreamer when I want a different effect mid song. There is an output specifically for Mixers, so you can use this pedal in the studio and get the exact tone you desire and not a slightly reduced quality that you may get otherwise. The pedal is silent when it is turned on and you are not playing, which is a big change from my old DOD Death Metal pedal which was just as noisy when you werent playing as when you were. I'm rating this as 9 as I feel that although the tone is perfect, you really don't need to have 7 settings of effects. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is new so I don't know yet if it is durable, but it seems reliable enough, it came with a electric plug so you don't need to use batteries for it. The casing is all metal and it looks solid. I can see that I will be able to gig without a backup for it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all metal and this effect is perfect. Of the other metal distorion pedal I have tried this is by far the best. I got it on sale on www.gak.co.uk and it was 30 off. I also play with Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer and it really complements the tone I get on this pedal. When this arrived I loved how DigiTech had given you extra things in the box to go with the pedal, including the power pack, a small case to put the pedal in so it doesnt't get damaged, and a scott Ian Pick (I already had one from seeing Anthrax live that I caught, but I can actually play with this one). As well as that, the battery is not placed in an exterior place as with most effects, it is infact underneath the footswitch, and is easily accessable by putting the end of your jack on a button type thing on the side of the pedal, it sounds odd, but I really like it. I chose this as Scott Ian is a very influential musician and I love playing thrashy metal, so this seemed ideal. I just love this pedal. // 10

Scott Ian Black-13 Reviewed by: seanie!, on march 31, 2007

Ease of Use: First off this pedal is extremely easy to use. It's set up like just about any other stompbox. It has level, bass, treble, and effect seetings, 1 input and 2 outputs (1 amp out, 1 mixer out). The 6 of the 7 effects are straight distortion, while the 7th is distortion, pitch shift, and delay. Came with a power adapter which is nice, a Scott Ian signature pick, and a traveling case so it doesn't get knocked around when traveling I guess. I just wish there was a mid tone control, but it's not bad since Scott scoops all his mids anyway. // 8

Sound: This pedal is excellent. 6 different types of distortion, but I was surprised to find all of them were pretty unique. I am a big Anthrax/Scott Ian fan and that was a big factor in buying this pedal. I use this for the most part through my Crate Powerblock though a Crate GT412 cabinet, and I've never been let down by the tone of it. One great attribute is that it's much quiter than my Boss MT-2 Metal Zone while I'm not playing, literally almost silent. It's even got a mixer out for easy recording. This thing will cover any kind of metal you can think of, from old school thrash to the new school of Trivium, Bullet for My valentine, etc. My only gripe about this pedal is they could've really done without the "Finale" tone. It's pretty much useless as just a delay, and you can't change the pitch like with a wah pedal or Whammy while playing. Other than that it's atleast fun to make cool noises with from time to time. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is a pretty solid all metal construction. It's just as sturdy as any Boss pedal. I've already dropped it a couple times and it's been stomped on and kicked around quite a bit and still holding up strong. All the jacks are sturdy and it's got the no slip rubberized bottom and stomp pad. Also, one cool sode note, the LED is super bright, and since the pedal is chromed/faux chromed, the thing practically lights up like a christmas tree, so you can very easy tell when it's on in a dark club. // 9

Overall Impression: I use this to mostly play heavy metal/trash with my band. It hasn't quite taken over as my main pedal, but I do use it on about half of our set. It's not super versitile in the means of being able to play blues or classic rock with it, seeing as how the tones are all modeled from Anthrax/SOD songs. It's made and advertised for the metal players, and it does it's job very well. If it broke I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat. // 8

Scott Ian Black-13 Reviewed by: schippendale, on january 23, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This is the easiest pedal I've ever seen. Connect it up, adjust the bass and treble to ensure your guitar's tone doesn't sound too muddy or too tinny, then switch between the (non-adjustable) presets. You can connect it up to a guitar amp and/or a mixer/P.A.. I have an ampless setup, so I connected directly to an FRFR speaker. The 'Mixer' output is relatively low and I need the level set to 100% to match my other modellers. Mine didn't come with a manual, but I didn't need one. If you can't operate this, you're in trouble. // 10

Sound: As mentioned above, I have an ampless rig. I use amp modellers, such as this, for optimum flexibility without added coloration from an amp. I have tried it out with my PRS with EMG 81 bridge pickup, and my Gibson Les Paul Lite with 500T and 496R pickups. This pedal is clearly equipped with a noise gate, although I would expect there to be noise if used with an amp, due to the amount of distortion this generates. This creates song-specific studio sounds. In reality, the first four presets are different sounds Scott archived with a Marshall JCM 800 head with a TC Electronic booster in front. For setting 5 ("Room For One More" from the "Sound Of White Noise" album) Scott combined a Marshall, a Bogner and a Matchless, and by the "Music Of Mass Destruction" (Setting 6) album Scott was using a Randall Vmax head. I have used these sounds, playing along with the original recordings and they are remarkably accurate. Having said that, with my Les Paul, this was less so; although the gain produced by the Les Paul is high, there was less distortion. Scott's rigs are far from unique, and these sounds are flexible - Sounds 1-4 are varied maxed-out Marshall tones that can be applied to most Metal, 5 a nice heavy Grunge sound, and 6 a convincing Randall tone, for those looking for a 'Dimebag pedal'. 7 is a fun effect which combines delay and octaves and can be dialled to be a usable octave+delay effect. Although the presets are fixed, the sounds and the amount of distortion can be manipulated by the input, so an EQ pedal and/or a volume pedal in front would make this a versatile pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is 'Boss-solid'. As I said above, this could, with the addition of an EQ pedal and a volume pedal in front, create a wide range of tones. Taking that into account, you could gig (providing the band/venue has a decent P.A.!) without an amp with this pedal, and it is certainly sturdy enough to take on the road. This has been discontinued by DigiTech, so a backup would require sourcing used. This is an amp modeller in a compact effects pedal (rather than I distortion pedal, such as the Boss Metal Zone), I think you would struggle to replace it like-for-like. // 9

Overall Impression: I play pop, rock, and metal. This can't do clean tones, for sure. For metal, there's something for everyone. I have been playing, as a bedroom hobbyist for twenty years; briefly with the odd band. As I play anything from Blur to Pantera, I wanted a rig that was versatile so opted for an amp modeller and FRFR speaker. Unless you are a tube fanatic, I strongly recommend trying this out. I connected this between a PRS Torero guitar and an Alto TS115a speaker. I usually use a Boss ME-70 floorboard for modelling. I have no regrets adding this to my rig as it is custom-built for thrash metal and does precisely what it claims. I would be on the hunt for another if it went missing. My favourite thing about this pedal is thrashing along with "I Am The Law" as this pedal nails the sound and I love that song. As I said, it's pretty unique - an amp-modeller set up for thrash metal in a compact pedal. I can't think of anything to compare this with. I wanted the Scott Ian sound for my rig and my Boss ME-70 jumps from Marshall lead to Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with no in-between. Scott Ian is the self-proclaimed "Malcolm Young Of Metal", so any more features would be extraneous.

// 9

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ Drop 7.9 Guitar Effects 09/26/2014