Whammy Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 07/27/2012 category: Guitar Effects
DigiTech: Whammy
The new Whammy has added the versatility of MIDI control making this timeless effect flexible enough for any situation. The new "Dive Bomb" preset gives the effect of a whammy bar pushed all the way to the body of the guitar, and 16 LEDs provide a visual indication of your preset selection even on dimly lit stages.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Ease of Use: 9.1
 8.6
 9.1
 8.1
reviews (28) pictures (3) 78 comments vote for this gear:
Whammy Reviewed by: lookie here, on july 22, 2006

Ease of Use: Extremly simple to use, there is a rotsry knob that lets you select the octaves you want to go up, down, detune and the harmoney features. The Harmony section takes time to use because if you play 2 notes to fast they come out as a slur of notes. The manual was extremly easy to understand. // 8

Sound: My setup is a Yamaha PAC-412V and a Ibanez GRG170DX run into a crybaby, the Whammy, Boss md-2, Behringer EQ and then to a Behringer GMX210 and Marshall MG30DFX. The Whammy has given a faint little hiss when bypassed but you can't notice it at all unless you hold your against your amp. The pitch shifting is quite accurate but my Whammy would give a slight tremolo when set up 2 octaves but a cable change fixed that. I can't really get that Tom Morello Whammy tone partialy because Tom has the Whammy 1 but the Whammy 4 comes extremly close to it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Reliability of the Whammy is just wow. The first day got it I dropped it down a couple of stairs and it only has a little scratch on the side. I would gig without backup because it's not gonna break on me anytime. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal to clasic rock and can achive the rare event of the Whammy showing up on a song pretty well. I have been playing for 2-3 years. If this pedal were stolen or lost I would not buy another one beacause it burns a hole in your pocket but if I had some cash I would definatly buy another. I love the drop tune or 1 octave down feature because I can go down to a certain tuning without tuning down. I hate though that you cant store presets without getting some sort of MIDI controller. I wish this had a three octave up/down a nd a mix where you van mix two presets together. Over all great pedal buy it if you want to experiment with effects. // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2005

Purchased from: Peach Guitars

Ease of Use: It is great for space like effects when set up two octaves. It also sounds very much as if there is 2 guitars playing the harmony settings. This is incredibly easy to use, although there is sometimes a note or two of key when you need to control more than one pedal. The manual shows you everything you need to know though. // 10

Sound: I am using it with a Marshall AVT100 which it sounds great with, especially when you put some short delay or chorus on. The effects are in no way weak, they are just as loud as the amp is, and I set it on the quietest. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I use it in most of my made up some songs and is very good on Muse songs because Matt Bellamy uses it on his earlier songs, and occassionally on Absolution. It is great for gigs, especially with high distortion, though is not an essential. // 10

Overall Impression: I have only been playing electric guitar for a year but it is very easy to use, I am in love with Muse so I recommend them for use of this pedal or even without this pedal, I'm not sure if you can plug in microphones to this, but keyboards you can, great to produce noise from your keyboard to your amp. If it were stolen I would buy it again, but that may just be because it is used in all of my songs. It is perfect. Also good for high solos! // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: wylde_overdrive, on december 26, 2006

Purchased from: Steve's Music

Ease of Use: The DigiTech Whammy is a very easy pedal to use. Presets are selected via a single rotary knob, and LED's show you what you have selected. There are 17 different effects to choose from: 6 Whammy effects, 2 detune effects, and 9 harmony effects. The manual for the whammy is very straightforward and it tells you what every effect does. The pedal is basically a plug in and play type of pedal, very easy to get some crazy sounds from it. // 10

Sound: I am currently using a Squier Stratocaster and a Peavey Rage 158 with the Whammy (I also have a Boss DS-1 and a Dunlop 535Q wah). The pedal adds a very slight hiss when used with lots of gain. A good noise suppressor pedal would easily take care of that though. The effects on the Whammy always sound great. I'm sure the Original Whammy sounds better, but it's not worth the extra $300 that it would cost to get on eBay. I can get the sound of anybody Who uses a Whammy (Steve Vai, Tom Morello, Joe Satriani, etc). Like I said before, all the effects are very good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is build like a damn tank, I could definitely gig without a backup. The only thing I could see happening to the pedal is a few scratches on the paint. I was actually surprised how heavy the pedal was, if I dropped this thing on a cat from 3 feet, it would break it's back. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and shred type stuff, and this pedal is great for crazy solos and the like. I've been playing for 2 and 1/2 years. There is nothing I wish I had asked before buying the pedal. I tried it out in the store many times and I had done a lot of research before buying it. If the pedal were stolen or lost, I would buy another. I love everything about this pedal. It's amazing for what it's meant to do, plus the detune setting sound like a chorus pedal, so that's a bonus. I think this pedal is awesome as is. // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 17, 2005

Purchased from: Guitartek.com

Ease of Use: Really easy, master on off switch, pedal just like a wah pedal and a rotating knob to select the effect (to sensitive to be changed by a foot). // 10

Sound: With this pedal you get 26 different effects (give or take 2/3 as some overlap) the good news is that with the effects on or off your volume isn't affected. Various effects include 2/1 octaves up or down and 3 octaves down in the Dive Bomb setting. You can drop all the strings down up to to steps digitally (this is done by altering the signal, if you turn your amp down, depress the pedal and stum, you can hear your own strings in standard E but the signal from the pickups is taken down 2 semitones) you also get various harmony effects, making your guitar sound like it has someone else playing (very useful for solos if you are by yourself in a band). The effects sound great, but there is a limited range of useful and great sounds, bear in mind this is not a wah wah or volume pedal, call me stupid but when I ordered it I was under the impression that it provided some wah aswell as being a volume pedal when the effects are turned off. Having said that you can exactly mimic some great bands, especially if you are a fan of Muse (Newborn and Sunburn solos), Rage Against The Machine (anything is just a great excuse to listen to Rage) or Audioslave (Like A Stone solo). So effects are better than others and I have pretty much picked the ones that sound great (2+1 octv up, 1 octv down, drop tune, and harmonised 5th). If you chose to use this pedal live be aware you can only use one effect per song (unless your foot is incredibly well controlled or you have enough money to buy an external midi controller [a devise which allows you to select a different effect without touching the pedal]). At the end of the day all of the effects sound great, most harmonising effects you wont use but it really does deliver an amazing sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Haven't gigged with it so far, but it's designed to be trodden on so I expect it would stand the test of time. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for over 3 years now, and I thought it was time to get myself some decent FX. I heard about this when I first heard the solos for Hysteria at Earls Court in December last year. Everything was pushed 2 octaves up and it took me ages to find out what effect did it. Personally I would say if you love Tom Morello or Matt Bellamy enough that you love their songs and they strongly inspire your songs then you should get this pedal. If you don't know who either of those people are - don't bother (if you only know one start listening to the other). If it were stolen at a gig I don't think I would buy another one, purely on the basis that it is missing a few other essential pedal FX such as wah and volume (it comes it Ferrari red so it's pretty difficult for anyone to run off with it without it being seen). // 8

Whammy Reviewed by: frazzledazzle, on april 25, 2006

Purchased from: Long and MacQuade

Ease of Use: It is very easy to use, with the same rocker technology as a wah pedal. The bright LED lights make it easy to see if it is on or off, or what setting it is on. The manual is helpful in explaining th emain functions of the Whammy wah. // 9

Sound: I play a Fender Strat with a bridge humbucker into a Traynor YCV50 Blue. When the effect is on, the tone of the guitar is very slightly diminished, but that is ok because you obviously turn it off when it is not in use. The effect sounds fine. I have heard that the Whammy 4 does not match up to the original Whammy as far as the effect tone is concerened, however, listening to RATM, I struggle to hear an audible difference from Morello's Whammy and mine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is rugged, reliable, and totally gig-worthy. // 10

Overall Impression: I play every style of music. I bought this because I love Tom Morello, and I wanted to replicate his sound on songs such as Killing In The Name Of. Id buy a new one it it was stolen. As no other company makes a Whammy wah, this is the only one to go with. Dont bother spending tons of money on an original. // 9

Whammy Reviewed by: teenguitargod, on january 15, 2007

Ease of Use: This is a fairly simple effect pedal. It shows right on the pedal what the possible effects are. In the manual, it also shows you what the effetcs are and explains what they mean and actually do. It is extremely straight forward in use, since there are maybe two switches, and the pedal part. The manual also shows you how to hook it up to your amp and guitar and where to plug everything in. // 9

Sound: I am currently using an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with a Beringher V-Ampire. The pedal works great with the amp on single notes, but has a tough time tracking chords. It also sometimes makes a funny tremelo sounding effect when you use chords at more than an octave higher than normal. None the less, I can get the sounds of my favorite artist, Audioslve. Tom Morello is my hero, and he uses Whammy effects in so many of his songs. It just goes to show you his creativity, and he is Who inspired me to get this pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You can definetely depend on this pedal, no doubt. It has a heavy, tough feel to it. I would definetely use this pedal in a gig with no backup. If it ever broke on me, I would be very suprised. I have confidence that the only thing that caould go wrong is I set it up wrong, or ther was a factory defect, which I have not seen in any of these yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from blues, all the way to heavy metal and screamo music. The pedal is great for any type of rock music, and blues. I have been playing for 3 years now and the only other gear I own is an Ibanez acoustic/electric and a couple straps. I have no regrets in buying this pedal and would definetely go out and buy another if it were lost or stolen. My favorite features on it are the up-an-octave setting, or the down tune setting, which drops the tuning on your guitar a whole step. The reason I chose this pedal was because of the midi effects and the reliability. It is perfect just the way it is. // 9

Whammy Reviewed by: Metal Defender, on august 29, 2007

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: The DigiTech Whammy is pretty straight forward to use and is very easy to get a good sound out of it, all you need to do is plug the leads in and you're done. The manual for this product is again easy to use/read it tells you all you need to know about the pedal and how to use it, where everything is and what it does etc. There are a few different models of this product, the early model being the WH-1 Whammy, but this is no longer manufactured as the new upgraded version is available, which is what I have. // 10

Sound: Currently I'm using a B.C. Rich Warlock guitar with a Line 6 spider amp along with a Jim Dunlop CryBaby and just a normal channel switcher pedal, and pretty much all of the time, the sound is great. I can honestly say that while I have had this pedal I have noticed no noise what'soever, on any setting. Most of the effects are great, but there are others, such as some of the harmonies which you would never use. Some sound weird and some just sound terrible, this however is not because of the tone but just because of the combination of the Harmony itself. My Favorite Artist has to be Joe Satriani, his songs are most definitely why I bought this pedal, I can get the perfect sound of a song by him called "Raspberry Jam Delta-V" where he uses this pedal quite frequently. The only downside is that sometimes this pedal will not respond properly and not give out the correct pitch, but there is a page in the manual explaining how to fix this by recalibreating, it is a very quick process. But I'll have to give it a 9 for sound, just because of that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on this pedal, it's great. Even if before a gig it needs recalibrating, you can do this quickly and it will be fine. On Some occasions the small grip pads underneath the pedal will fall off but they are easily glued back on. Also when I first got this pedal the pedal itself was a bit stiff to press down and this did get annoying. But then I just got the correct Tool and loosened it up so that it was easier to press down. // 10

Overall Impression: The style of music that I usually play is mainly metal or instrumental stuff such as Joe Satriani. This pedal seems the right match for the music as a lot of metal bands use this same pedal, so that's a good advantage. I've been playing 3 years now, and along with the Whammy I own a Crybaby which you have to set up precisely when with the Whammy otherwise it will be noisy. The only thing I would have asked before buying this product is, can it get the tone I want for the songs I would like to play? But this didn't really matter as the pedal has proven itself to me that it can. If this were stolen, aside from being really pissed off I would definitely buy another one, because I use it a lot now. What I love about this pedal is the 1 and 2 octave settings where when you press the pedal down the notes that you play will sound as 1 or 2 octaves higher. I don't really 'hate' anything about the pedal, I mean, I dislike the Harmony settings as in my opinion, not many musicians would use them. I chose to buy this product because I needed the sound of the 1 octave higher. But aswell as that I got a lot more effects, so overall I would say that this product deserves a 10. // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: J.Dawg, on september 02, 2008

Ease of Use: It is really easy to get a good sound out of it. All you have to do is change the octave settings with the octave button changer or whatever you call that thing. It has no editing patches or any thing like that. The manual came in the box with it. I don`t know the firmware revision number. This unit has never been upgraded or changed. // 9

Sound: My setup is my Gibson SG hooked up to my Whammy, then from my Whammy into my DigiTech Grunge distortion, the from my Grunge into a DigiTech Bad Monkey tube overdrive, then from the Bad Monkey into a Marshall amp. It`s not noisey, in fact it can create many unique sounds. The effects aren`t weak, in fact they are strong effects, and they always sound great on every setting. I can get the sounds of my favorite artist from my Whammy, Rage Against The Machine, and One Day As A Lion, even though for One Day As A Lion, Zach uses a keyboard, he uses a DigiTech Whammy for it, by plugging his keyboard into the midi controll input on the Whammy. The distortion and the tube Overdrive effects with the Whammy are very good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definately depen on my Whammy for sure. In a gig I could definately go solo without any backup at all, because this pedal was used by and made more famous and noticeable by Tom Morello, from Rage Against The Machine. Tom used the Whammy for solos and in verses of and in intros of songs, and more. // 10

Overall Impression: The style of music that I play is classic rock like AC/DC, and heavy metal like Metallica, and alternative rock like Rage Against The Machine, and Beastie Boys. It`s a good match for Rage Against The Machine, but the others, not. I've been playing guitar for 4 years now. I own a DigiTech Grunge distortion, and a DigiTech Bad Monkey tube Overdrive, and a Marshall amp. There was nothing that I asked or wanted to ask before buying it. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again because this is one of my favorite pedals of all time. What I love about it is the disign, color, tone, and the durability, because it`s all unique. My favorite feature is the octave settings and the pedal on it. I did compare it to other products like the Harmony Man, and the Jam Man, but they costed double the amount. I chose this pedal because I wanted one when I fount out about it and what it could do, also the price of it was more around my range than the Harmony Man, or the Jam Man. It would be cool if it were autographed by Tom Morello though. // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: SpanishYanez, on january 05, 2009

Ease of Use: I bought this a while back, since the Eventide Harmonizer is like 5 grand, I guess this is one of the cheaper harmonizer pedal. It has 2 Harmony settings per lighted setting (one when the pedal is toe up and one when the pedal is toe down). The harmonies range from 3rd to octave up on the toe up and ranges from 3rdflat down to an octave down on the toe down position. Then you got your Whammy settings that range from 2 octaves up, 1 octave up, 1 octave down, 2 octaves down, dive bomb, and drop tune. Then there's the shallow and deep detune mode. // 9

Sound: I use this pedal with my phaser, compressor, delay, wah, fuzz, EBow, Strat, Epi LP Custom, and my 15 Peavey amp. The pedal is pretty good but the Harmony settings tend to do this noticable clipping when I play my guitar (I know I'm supposed to play one note at a time but I have a sloppy style where I mute some strings when I solo). The shallow detune mode has a nice chorus sound (so yay a chorus pedal). I use this pedal for my spacey sounds. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is heavy and pretty durable the only thing that I noticed that it tends to move when I'm rocking the pedal, I guess the rubber feets are not rubbery enough, but nothing a little velcro can't solve. I would use it on a gig without a backup because I can't afford another one. The pedal comes with a power adapter, I guess it doesn't use batteries, so I don't have to worry about power. // 7

Overall Impression: The pedal is something different, I play different styles but I think that this pedal was meant for Tom Morello songs because that guy uses and abuses that pedal of his. If it were lost or stolen I would be rather upset because this thing is like 200 bucks to replace. I love the various presets but not the digital clipping, this is probably why many people like the original Whammy pedal better I guess. // 8

Whammy Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on february 12, 2009

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: I finally caught a good deal on one of these, so I had to jump on it. $100 shipped made this pedal even better. Very simple pedal to use, even if you've never seen one used before. Its got three main sections: Harmony, detune, and Whammy. Just turn the dial to your choice, press the Switch, press on the pedal and commence Whammy pedal enjoyment. Even though I got mine refurbished, it came with the manual and power supply as well. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with a handful of other effects, a few different Ibanez guitars, all going to a Peavey Windsor. For the most part, I have no complaints about the sound of this pedal. I use the octave portions of the Whammy the most, as well as the detune feature. Some of the Harmony functions are useful, but they don't always track so well so they're mainly good for subtle bends/dips, as opposed to whole sections played in Harmony. Tom Morello/Rage Against the Machine sounds are easily obtained with this pedal. I like the sound of this pedal with distortion, but some functions sound cool clean too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this for about 6 months now and it has yet to fail me. Its built very strong, and the sweep motion is very clean. All of the controls and jacks seem very strong. I've used this pedal on a handful of gigs without a backup. Since I don't use Whammy A LOT in my playing, its not a necessity. But I don't really see this pedal leaving my pedalboard anytime soon. Its just too cool. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal and this pedal is perfect for my playing. I've been playing for a few years now and I've owned quite a few effects pedals over that time. The Whammy is something that I've always wanted but I couldn't really bring myself to spend a couple hundred bucks on, since I didn't think I'd use it a bunch. Well, I found one that's practically new for half the price and I jumped on it. If it were lost or stolen, I would try to find another one around this price. It just seems too much to pay $200 for it... probably just because I don't use it a lot. No complaints what'soever about this pedal, but I love the 2 octaves up Whammy feature. Overall, a cool pedal... nothing else like it. // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: Falcoe, on february 16, 2009

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Thomann

Ease of Use: This is the ultimate psychopedal for those with a little more theory knowledge. Ok, it's not like you can't use it just by fiddling away for hours and hours finding that cool delayphrased extranotes ala Morello and Bumblefoot. it's also possible to settle with the octave high/low settings wich sounds cool alone. But if you want to use this Machine to the max, at least I feel that you need to know what you are doing when you're adding an extra 3rd or 5th note higher or lower to the note your playing. If you know how, it's very easy to use. For example: I play in a certain key or over a chord where some scalepatterns fit to it. Using the Whammy with adding 3rd or 4th notes changes the amount of notes usable for that key. Because I actually play two notes at the same time and the added one is a disharmonic note to that key and it sounds false. I would want to know the exact notes and the intervalls between them so I could set teh Whammy to the right setting right away. But don't misunderstand me. Never stop experimenting with sound! The mistakes sometimes are the brightest ideas for cool stuff. // 7

Sound: I plug it into my Marshall combo and it's not very complicated to get great sound from it. I've combined it with delay and chorus effects and also a Boss multieffect wahwah pedal. Weve played songs like Killing in the name of with RATM and it's no problem to replicate the sound of Morellos octave pitching solo. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes! it's no problem.Its steel casing and high quality knobs is perfect for gigs. Off course it's not like a tank but it's taking sweat and stomps and beerbottleattacks. I wouldn't bother getting a backup because it's allready quite expensive and I feel I can depend on it anyways. // 9

Overall Impression: Playing a wide range of musical styles were all somewhat connects with rock it's always possible to make the Whammy fit in. Especially when playing creazy lead fills over funky hardrock rhythms or just wanting an intro or break with originality. To find these crazy facemelting eargasms a lot of experimental time is needed. To get tips on getting more sounds search for Tom Morello lessons or Whammy on youtube. Good luck. // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2005

Sound: I'm usin an Ibanez and a Vox with this and it rocks, you can get a good number of sounds out of this, mostly I use it for solos such as Metallica and Rage Against The Machine. It's great for making some uncommon noises. // 10

Overall Impression: I use this for all sorts of things, it's very easy to use and sounds great. I'd buy it again if something happened 2 it, the Whammy settings are cool 'cause you can move your sound up a couple of octaves and if you don't have a Whammy bar it is even better. I would just say buy one, you'll be using it the rest of your life. // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 17, 2005

Ease of Use: I bought a DigiTech Whammy pedal a little while ago, and tried it out and got a feel for it. When I first got it, I tried it with my solid-state Fender 30 watt amp, and was not entirely pleased with the sound I got on the clean channel. It sounded somewhat digital and had an almost tingy tone. On the distortion channel, the pedal sounded much better and was more of what I had expected. I then tried the pedal out with my 80 watt Yorkville Traynor tube amp, and was extremely impressed. On the clean channel, the pedal jumped octaves smoothly and the "harmony" part of the pedal sounded very good. On the dirty channel, the pedal had an even better tone, not tinny or cheap like it was on the solid-state. The manual that came with this pedal was decent, describing each feature in a brief few sentences, and also had a section showing how to properly plug in the pedal. I needed to reset the pedal and "calibrate" it a few times, which basically resets the pitch of the pedal so that when it is in normal position, the pitch of the note coming out of your amp matches the correct pitch of your guitar. No worries, how to do this is all in the manual, and if you have any trouble at all, there is a section in the back of it similar to "troubleshooting." // 8

Sound: I am using a Godin LGX III and a traynor tube amp. Although the Whammy wasn't the best sounding on my solid-state, I would still recomend this pedal to anyone without a tube amp, as long as it had a distortion channel. As I said before, the sound on this pedal was exelent on a tube amp, so if you have a tube the tone should be smooth on the clean and dirty channel. The pedal is nearly noisless with my two humbuckers, but when I swithched it to my middle single coil Pick up, the pedal gave a slight hum, sounding similar to strat, but nothing to fret over. Overall, the sound is good. There are three groups of preset effects on this pedal. Whammy, harmony, and detune. Whammy basically shifts your pitch up or down one or two octaves, and has a "dive bomb" setting, dropping the pitch three ocates. Dive bomb will definatley test the lows of your amp, but sounds quite athentic. Harmony adds intervals to your current pitch, anywhere from up or down a second to up or down an octave. The harmony setting sounds very good on each amp, as well as each channel. Detune takes your current pitch, makes a copy of it, shits the pitch down a certain amount, and plays it simualtaneously with the original pitch. There are two settings in Detune, shallow and deep. Shallow is very subtle, while deep is a little more drastic. Detune is a simple effect, but I think it would be effective when ending a song or making a transition. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this pedal that long, but it seems quite strong and would probably be quite endurent on the road. DigiTech says they "strengthened the rugged chasis to endure the perils of the stage better." When touching the pedal, you can just tell it is durable. I would use this at gig without a backup because the Whammy comes with an AC adapter to power it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from jazz, to Led Zeppelin, to Steve Vai, and I use the Whammy for rock stuff like Vai. It is a pretty good match for rock, and Vai uses one himself. I have been playing for two years, and this pedal is great for me to play with my band or just mess around with on my own. There aren't very many other pitch-shifting padals on the market with all the features of the Whammy, so I couldn't compare it to anything else I know of. If someone stole this pedal or I lost it I would probably buy a new one if I had the cash. // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: Spade_SanosukeX, on december 28, 2005

Ease of Use: All I had to do was hook it up and put the power into the outlet and it was on. The manual doesn't really need to be read (well maybe for some starters). This is one of the original versions. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Fender 25A with a Dean FBD abd and BC Rich Mockinbird Evil Edge and I'm getting some very amazing sounds. I can use this to play Korn songs alot which is really good if I play live. The effects are basically harmoney, Whammy and detune but it also allows people to switch around with the octaves which is realsly good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can actually depend on this alot for a gig. I don't think I'd need a backup Whammy pedal unless it all of a sudden blows up. // 10

Overall Impression: This matches almost every type of music from rock to metal. I've been play for about a year and a half. I own a Dime from Hell Wah, BC Rich Mockingbird, BC Rich Warlock, Ibanez SDGR 5 String, Dean FBD ML tribute and Fender 25A (amp). If it were stolen I'd hunt the person down but if lost I'd by a new one. I don't really hate anythin about it. I can compare it to the Boss Whammy but this is a bit better. I wish it had every type of effect possible but it doesn't matter that much. // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: ArcherTheVMan, on january 05, 2006

Purchased from: Electro-Music, Doncaster

Ease of Use: Simple as it gets really on off switch, rocker pedal, pictures on the pedal, if a litle obvious, make it even simpler. No problems with the sound if there were the manual does provide a decent amount of help anyway. // 10

Sound: I am currently using this pedal with an Epiphone Flying V Goth (with floyd rose and EMG 85/81 pickups), an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with gibson 498R and 500T pickups) and a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster running into a Vox AD120VT 2x12/Marshall 2x12 cab. My effects loop consists of a dual bypass pedal, a MXR 10-band EQ, a Korg DT-10 tuner, a Vox Wah, an Arion Stereo Flanger, a Jim Dunlop Phase 100, the DigiTech Whammy and a Boss Digital Delay (all separated into two groups by dual bypass). I tend to find that the Wahmmy works best at the end of a chain as then it can manipulate all the effects, creating a new sound even stranger than before. I find it tends to sound good with most effects I use although I do not use distortion pedals so I dont know how it works there. I tend to usually play this with distortion and it sounds clear, in tune and rather awesome, but it sounds just as good clean too. It doesnt colour the tone of my amp nor is it noisy. This pedal is amazing! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think the words "bullet-proof" come to mind. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything except pop and punk and can find plenty of uses in all other genres for it it never ceases to astound me. I have been playing for about 4 years, gig often and try my best to know as much as possible about my playing, my guitar, my equipment, and all the latest guitars and gear. If it were stolen id get my cricket bat and find the bastard and break his (if it was a her id be less violent) legs then take it back, or I'd buy another one (possibly a Whammy original) when I'd cadged the money. What I love about this pedal is its uniqueness, and the way it excels so much with what it does and there is nothing I could ever hate about it. I think my favouriite feature is the Whammy effect and its modes. Admittidly, there is something I wish it had: a battery. although I have forgiven as it does take a fair bit of energy to run the thing. // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: santhony1987, on march 10, 2006

Ease of Use: Well let's be frank, it ain't the easiest little bastard to work out if you don't have much musical theory. Although operating it is a breeze (one button and a twisty knob with the expression pedal), to get a good sound out of it takes a bit of musical knowledge or practice before you can make good use of it, but that all depends on which setting you have it one. The Whammy has many cpabilities, some easier to put to good use. It does come with a manual though for all the trippers. Only bad thing is sometimes you need to re configure the treadle's range, but this is explained how to do clearly in the manual. // 7

Sound: I use a Jackson Dinky 2FF or a Washburn V through a Dimebag wah, Whammy, Sansamp II then into an Avt. The bypass operations in this unit are incredibly silent considering the harrsh noises you can produce with this. Through my effects loop this things sounds fucked but I'm sure thats not the Whammy's fault, just my dodgy amp. All the effects are "A" grade quality when blended with any sound but you have to understand that this thing has a distinct harmonizing sound that sorta gives it a synth like distortion that is uncontrollably created, though it ain't necessarily bad sounding and it gives you more sustain. Because this is a re-issue, you can tell it might not be able t fully recreate sounds of those used by Tom Morello, but stop bitching, nothing will come closer. The settings are: (the effects on the left side of the slash are the ones created when the treadle is in heel position and the ones on the right side are the effects when the treadle is in toe down position, but when moving the treadle, you can produce any harmony in between the two set harmonies, which is cool) Whammy (Harmonizing); down octave/up octave down 5th/down 4th down 4th/down major 3rd up 5th/up 7th up 5th/up 6th up 4th/up 5th up major 3rd/up 4th up minor 3rd/up major 3rd up major 2nd/up major 3rd Detune (sorta like a crazy deep chorus sound) Shallow - less intense Deep - more intense Whammy (pitch bending) (you also get everything in between if your a good pedaller) Up 2 octaves Up 1 octave Down 1 octave Down 2 octaves Dive Bomb (artificial Whammy bar which is new) Drop Tune (go down 2 semi tones) // 9

Reliability & Durability: It ain't a Boss, you wouldn't be able to drop it down the stairs without breaking or shattering something internally considering this thing's microchip would be pretty extensive, but a life time of stepping wont break it and there aint anything so weak it would break off. Its all metal too dudes. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, I'm sure you dont care about anything else. It's a good buy, to finish the specs it has a midi in for external control, a dry out for a bypass to another ampand comes with the power supply. I got it at sale price, but I was preppared to pay full which was like 550. I dunno how I would buy it again but I would definately want it again if it were stolen. I dont think there are any other types of pitch bending or plainly just totally f--ked up pedals this packed out, a good buy for someone wanting a change. And it's bright red, so it must be fast. // 9

Whammy Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2007

Ease of Use: It's extremely easy to get good sounds of this pedal. There is one knob and all you have to do is turn it to select the desired effect. If, for some reason, you aren't able to figure out how to work it yourself; the manual is extremely easy to read and understand. // 10

Sound: I have an Epi Les Paul Standard that runs through this Whammy and a number of assorted Marshall Stomp Boxes into a Marshall MG50DFX amp. I must say, this pedal sounds freakin gnarly! The effects sound awesome and they are way easy to hear. Now, if you aren't any good at playing guitar, don't expect this pedal to magically make you sound like Satriani, Vai, or Lie or anyone else like that. Sorry, it just don't work that way. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definetly gig with this. Heavy and made out of some sort of metal. Probably steel. Because that's what they make most things out of. However, the pedal itself sometimes makes a weird creeking sound when I roll it. I have no idea why that is. I'm going to try loosening it to see if that helps. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal, hard rock, blues, jazz, classic rock, and experimental (this is the genre that the pedal is best for). This pedal works for nearly all of them. Except blues, it doesn't work too well for blues. I don't regret buying this pedal at all. However, it was a lot of money. $200 is not a small amount of mula. If it was stolen, I'm not sure I wuld want to spend the money again. I may just steal one myself. Just kidding. But seriously, I don't really know if I wuld spend the money again. // 9

Whammy Reviewed by: MmmCesium, on january 15, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: I have the Whammy IV reissue. It is very easy to use. All the instroctions are on the front of the pedal and it is very intuitive. I downloaded a manual for it. It showed me how to recalibrate the treadle if it ever goes out, but for everyday use, you really do not need a manual. // 10

Sound: I use it with a Fender Stratocaster or Cyclone and a Laney GC 30 or various Peavey models. It is not noisy to my knowledge. I usually use a noise suppressor with it just because I think it focuses the sound, but on the off-chance that I'm too lazy to hook my NS-2 up, this pedal adds no noise. The effects always sound decent. There is a bit of noticeable skipping on all the pitch-shifting settings, but it is not enough to bug me. The intro to "My Iron Lung" by Radiohead shows this. I can get Jonny Greenwood, Thom Yorke, and Matthew Bellamy sounds out of this. The "Detune" effects are a surprisingly pleasant-sounding chorus, especially the Deep setting. I use it for a Nirvana-sounding chorus with the neck pickup of the Cyclone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems to be made fairly well. The pedal feels slightly flimsy. I would gig without a back up if I had to, but I would prefer not to. I have seen them break, but it does not happen too often and I would probably do a small show without a backup. If I were playing a larger show, then I would want to have a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a perfect match for my Indie and Alternative style. I have been playing for almost 2 years and I own a few amps, a few pedals, and a few guitars. Nothing special. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably get another one if I had the money. It is not a necessity, but it is fun to use. I like the two octave up, Morello sounding effect the best. There are really no other pedals like this one. I wish it had minor third Harmony, but that's a nitpick and it's a neat little thing. It was worth the 150 dollars. // 9

Whammy Reviewed by: Hart_Attack, on february 25, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty easy to get the hang of if your goin' for that tom Morello sound. But if you like me and you want to do more than just RATM covers it'll take some time to really get it's all out of this pedal. I've had this for about 2 months now and even then I'm still learning quite a few things, especially in it's Harmony mode (which I'm excited for). The manual is pretty simple but for those who aren't tech savvy, you could get lost in the translation. But the diagram clarafies things if the explanation couldn't. Oh on a sidenote I'm glad they added the recalibration page, a lot of help. // 9

Sound: Alright I used two different guitars along with two different amps the first pair was my Les Paul loaded with a DiMarzio Evo on the bridge with a Vox AD30 on its US Highgain setting, which gave me a kind of satch-like tone. Since I was in that setting I decided to try out Cool #9 which works so great. But I also moved the dial to it's harmony mode to 4th/5th and hit some power chords and it really filled out the sound. My only complaint about that is they should have a patch where you could do a 5th up or down and likewise for the other modes. Next I grabbed my Schecter C-1 loaded with EMG 81 and 85 (actives ofcourse) and my Crate RFX120, moved it to it's dive bomb mode and had loads of fun. Oh on a side note if you want that flutter sound from the DigiTech Whammy you'll either need another person so he/she could (with their hands) move the pedal back and forth really fast or buy a tremolo pedal and stick it up to super crazy fast mode. On its clean mode you really can get a bass guitar if you move it down to its oct. down mode but it does Shine when you put it to it's harmony mode and you strike chords rather slowly. My only problem with this unit as a whole would be the sound of the DigiTech when you run a sweep while the pedal is pointed up on it's pitch setting. Its core processor has a hard time reading the notes at such speed. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The feel of the pedal makes you think yeah, it really is dependable when you hold it and feel the metal encasing around the unit but soon as you click it for the first time you'll notice that the Switch which activates the pedal is pretty flimsy. That alone makes me nervous to use it live. Though I do have a gig coming up march 15 I do feel confident enough to use it live and without a backup (since I don't have a backup). // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different music that calls a lot for different sounds i.e. the Vox modeling amp, the pedal definitely adds more to the sound. I'm interested in the long term use of the pedal so I do look forward to expressing more of the detune and Harmony modes of the pedal. I did ask about the different uses of this pedal but all I got was "this pedal is primarily used for it's pitch bending, so if you like to play Rage then this is right up your alley", that was upsetting since this pedal is so much more than a tom morello Killing in the name of pedal it's also a Buckethead computer master pedal. Huh? Yeah really. In any case if it were lost or stolen I'd probably try to find the guy who stole it and force him to listen to Paris hilton rap about true life in the hills until his brain popped. I do love this pedal since I like to use a more spacey sound but the only thing I wished it had is a more organic sound when you switch it to it's Harmony or on octave up or down setting. // 9

Whammy Reviewed by: Harmonystrat, on july 15, 2008

Ease of Use: You can plug in a Whammy pedal and feel like your tom morello almost immediatley. It's the newest version with the new dive bomb feature. Along with harmonys, octaves, detune, and drop tune. The manual gave you all the basic info but it was pretty small for all the things the pedal is capable of. My pedal is original bought from the store. // 10

Sound: I've used this effect pedal through my Fender m-80 amp and Fender Mustang. From amp to Whammy to guitar no effects loop. The pedal hardly ever generates noise other then what you cause. However if you have any feedback moving the pedal will actually change the pitch of the feedback which sounds cool most the time but with it set two octaves up can make it squeal badly (nly when your not playing though). The effect always sounds the same without any variation unless if amp setting or guitar settings are changed. The only artist I use this pedal for when covering are the White Stripes and any of tom morellos stuff and it handles it fine. I bought it more for my own personal experimentation. All of the effects work great. But some of the harmonys don't really seem to harmonize at high volume (this could just be me) and the de-tune doesn't do hardly anything on deep or shallow. The dive bomb is a little quirky. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would use this pedal without a backup for sure. I have yet to play a gig with it though. I feel I can depend on it 100% but I'm also extremley careful with it (that $200 Burns for a pedal). It feels very sturdy to me although the rocker feels like it might not be the sturdiest thing if your really rough with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought this pedal to further the amount of sounds I could force out of my guitar. I've been playing almost 4 years as said I use it with my Fender M-80 Chorus amp and mustang. I tryed the effect out at the store but knowing you can't put a battery in it would have helped. I don't know if I would buy a new one (just due to price I love the pedal) I like everything it can do except the detune is hardly noticeable. I also think the divebomb isnt very authentic. But it's good for being recreated in a pedal. I didn't compare it with any other pedals tis the only Whammy that I know of? // 9

Whammy Reviewed by: chipmunksurfer, on july 21, 2008

Ease of Use: It is very easy to use. On/off switch, knob selects the harmony/pitch of your guitar, and the pedal, well it's all self-explanatory, and if you can't get it, the manual is very easy to understand. There are no editing patches, but I don't think I would use them all too often, as the effects are good enough. my only complaint is that the knob to select effects is sensitive, almost too sensitive to change during a song. I'm sure it could be worked around, and I don't think I would change the effects all that much in a song, but it would improve it's dimensions. // 9

Sound: I use it with both my Standard Fender Telecaster and Epiphone Ltd. G-400 Custom, the maestro goes great with this pedal. Goes through either my Boss DS-1 or DigiTech Heavy Metal pedal, Dunlop Cry Baby Wah, and sometimes Phase 90 to a PA system, sometimes adding chorus or delay with the mixer but it all sounds good and doesn't effect the sound. This means I have to use all effect pedals to get my sound. I have no problems with the sound from the Whammy; retains volume, effects are all strong. Tom Morello sounds can be achieved, and Jack White, Who no1 has mentioned. I haven't encountered any accidents w/ the pedal, no random noises or anything. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable. Built of tough metal, and apparently Tom Morello's has lasted years (although I think he replaced one? I could be wrong). I've only used it at home and friend's houses. From what I hear tho, it's about as reliable as any pedal could ever be. I know I would trust it always. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, funk, a little metal and blues, and of course experimental. If you play experimental this pedal will definitely open up options for your music. But just try it out before you buy it because it's a beefy pricetag: $200 at best, at guitarcenter. // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: toyboxmonster, on august 20, 2009

Price paid: C$ 179

Purchased from: Spaceman Music

Ease of Use: The DigiTech Whammy is a fairly simple pedal to understand, particularly for guitarists Who are already familiar with the Wah-Wah Pedal. There is absolutely no adjusting, tweaking, or fiddlin gwith parameters on the Whammy; instead, there are a number of pre-set functions and a knob that switches between these. While this makes it a simpler job to operate the pedal, it also makes it much less versatile. Though the pedal is fairly self-explanatory (the labels on the Whammy serve as a quick guide to each function), it does come with a manual that guides the new user. Operating the Whammy footpedal itself for anything more complex than simply shifting up and down an octave is much more difficult. This is where the user's complete lack of control over the Whammy's parameters comes into play. More on this later. // 6

Sound: The Whammy features three different effects: Harmony, detune, and Whammy. I was surprised to find that it did not offer any straight pitch-shifting. The detune is actually a very useful effect, very similar to the shimmering sound of a chorus, but a little gloomier. This is probably the most useful detune I've had the oppotunity to try; it is much more lush than that of other units I've used. The Harmony function seems to me not to be very useful, mostly due to the fact that the DigiTech Whammy does not have any sort of wet/dry mix control. While units like the Boss PS-5 allows the user to control the balance between the detuned signal and the dry one, or between the Original signal and the Harmony, these parameters are already set on the Whammy and cannot be altered. The Whammy effect itself is sort of a one-trick pony. I was very dissapointed to see how few options there were under the "Whammy" section of the pedal: two octaves up, one octave up, one octave down, two octaves down, dive bomb, and drop tune. Unlike the Boss PS-5, which has a much more versatile Trem. Arm function, this will not shift up or down to a 5th or a 6th. It can be done with a tremendous amount of Precision, but in a Live setting, I cannot imagine trying to Whammy up to a 6th, holding that precise position on the footpedal for a moment, and then whammying back down. Another unit that offers a much more versatile Whammy function is (sadly) the DigiTech RP-200A multi-effects processor. For a much cheaper price, the RP-300 offers not only useable delays and reverbs, but a spectacular improvement on the Whammy which allows the user to dial in the minimum and maximum pitch of the Whammy, as well as the level of the wet/dry signal. I currently use the Whammy in front of a Fender Blues Deluxe, typically followed by a Boss Super Feedbacker & Distortion and a number of delays and reverb in the effect loop. I've also used the Whammy through a Fender Jam, a Mega GL-30B and a Fender Bassman, and I have to say that of all the pedals and multi-effects units I've used, the Whammy is by far the one that most colors a guitar's tone. A signal going through the Whammy when t's on will sound thin and metallic, whether the footpedal is down or not. Even when it's off, the Whammy noticeably sucks the instrument's tone. I was very dissapointed after buyingthe Whammy; it is a great idea for an effect, but its lack of control and versatile means that ultimately, it was wasted. // 3

Reliability & Durability: The Whammy seems to be solid enough. The metal chassis is a much more sturdy-looking encloseure than the flimsy XP-series boxes and DigiTech's plastic mutli-effect unit enclosures. The one knob that toggles between effects seems fragile enough though, and I have seen a case where it was simply broken off during transportation. In addition, I'm not really a fan of the footswitch; it seems too easy to turn it on accidentally and would be much better if replaced with an Electro-Harmonix-style click-Switch. For the outrageous price the Whammy goes for Brand New, I would expect something a little better. // 6

Overall Impression: Pitch-shifting has always been a huge part of my playing style, but I've been using it decreasingly since I traded in my Boss PS-5 Super Shifter and got the DigiTech Whammy. At first, I was certain that the option of real-time pitch-shifting would by far outweigh this unit's lac kof versatility. Sadly, it does not and I now realise that I would have been much better off simply buying an expression pedal for the PS-5. While I do find myself using the detune function often enough and I have found a use for the harmonise effect coupled with huge delays and reverse reverb, all in all, I would probably have been happier with a different effect. I wish I had given it a bit more of a try before buying it, as I hadn't yet realised how much of a one-trick-pony it is. I will almost certainly be selling it soon in order to pay for one of DigiTech's newer multi-effect units (maybe the RP-1000), as they honestly have much more useful Whammy finctions. If DigiTech ever decide to release a Whammy V, more control over the Whammy effect and a wet/dry blend control for single outputs may be some features to consider. // 5

Whammy Reviewed by: ToneMonster, on july 05, 2010

Ease of Use: Simple control: mode selector from ocatve pitch bends to harmonizer modes. No vol, no gain, no balance. Just set and move the pedal. Does not get any easier. This is my 2nd Whammy pedal, I had the Original and when I redid my board I decided to get another one because this has some qualities you cannot get in another pedal. See the following... // 10

Sound: The sound of this pedal is fine as far as I am concerned. I could like a balance control but the mix is OK. The sound of this pedal can seem really stupid and useless or really cool if you listen to what Satch or Gilmour does with it. I use it for harmonizer pitch shifts which I find it does rather well. Now some points: After using this pedal and consulting DigiTech there is the argument of where to put it in a chain. If you use it for primarily harmonizer modes like I do it neds to be up front for proper tracking! If you are going to do the typical weeeooooo octave whale sounds it needs to be end of chain or perhaps in a loop. I have trouble with my pedal cal slipping on the 8va down mode, usually when I move the pedal goofing around, seems like if you go from the usual octave pitch shifting pedal stuff to the harmonizer modes it loses its proper low octave position. DigiTech recommended I set the cal not quite moving the pedal all the way up or down. I use two oicks under each stopper and that seems to do the deal. It still goes off if I go to the pitch and back to the harmonizer modes. By the way this is basically a monophonic trigger, it is not made to track or shift chords. Single note runs on pitch shifting harmonizer modes, it will track chord shifts on the octave modes because you are not creating a Harmony tracking note. The tracking glitch some must think is musical or an artifact of this pedal is just playign chords into something that is not designed to track them. Use it right and it is supper cool. See the follow up on more tips. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used a lot of DigiTech boxes ofr the ages. I current have 3 on my board. As I said the pedal cal on this one slips from time to time which is OK, as the Original one you had to set it every power up which was a pain. Use the two Pick spacing and this helps a lot. I have only noticed it on the low octave harmonizer mode it is just not quite in tune when all the way up, you can push down on the end of it to force it if you are in the middle of a tune but I have to recal to get it back. A minor problem. Never noticed anything off on the typical weeeooooo stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned I use my Whammy in front of chain for harmonizer effects of +/- 1 Bva, 5ths or 4ths. I do not find anything else particularly musical in that direction. Since I have this up front I run the DRY out to my tuner and I am able to keep my tuner out of my main chain, one less box in line so much the better. Good tip, I am surprised the older players are not on to this trick. take any spare out give it to the tuner and no tuner in line!!! Try a 4th up or dwn with gain and it sounds really cool, very Jeff Beck honking fusion. Low octave is cool and the octave up gives a good octaver sound. Use first in line for proper triggering, works very well and it is monophonic. Now the cool EH POG units are polyphonic BUT they cannot do 4ths or 5ths. This unit is cool because you do not have to Pick a key to play in like the Boss pitch shifter which I find really a pain. This unit simply 4ths or 5ths whatever you give it, very cool! I like it for harmonizer stuff, I just goof on the weeeeooo echo trail stuff messing around, for 4th and 5th using gain it is a bad mother... // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: idontgiveafuk, on february 01, 2011

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: online

Ease of Use: this pedal is simple 2 use plug it in and just have fun from the off when I got it it was slightly out of tune with the 2 octave up setting but setting it up is easy it takes 30 seconds and is explained clearly in the manual, it's pretty much a simple plug in and play pedal just turn the dial to what setting you want to use and rock the pedal simple :) it has led lights to show you what setting you're on tho it's downfall is it's hard to read the writing next to the led lights on stage and it would be better with a foot-switch rather than a control knob to change settings on the fly but generally speaking it's simple to use and always fun to experiment with. // 8

Sound: currently for this review I'm using a Line 6 spider 2 75 watt combo it makes almost no unwanted noise on bypass that i can notice (i even turned off the noise gate to check the difference) and once set up right it doesn't really have much effect on the tone with the pedal in the standby position the the effect is very strong and clear it does sound very digital tho and the tracking on the Harmony effect is off slightly which is ok for single notes or slow melody's but not great for anything shred wise or chords and the drop-tune effect sounds a noticeably digital but the 1 octave down setting is solid enough and sounds very much like a bass guitar as far as the 2 octave down setting and the divebomb they're pretty good at emulating a Floyd Rose type sound tho you wont be able to make the natural harmonic noises the same way as a floyd does on divebombs but the effect is otherwise ok, but in essence these are all extra features the reason you buy a Whammy is for it's 1 and 2 octave up pitch shifting ability and tho it does sound digital and you can't really shred with the pitch shifted up without a tremolo esque sound it's nevertheless fun as hell and you can get some cool sounds with it it's really just a fun pedal to have aside from occasional light use aka tom morello's killing in the name of solo, pantera's suicide note part 2, and bits of steve vai stuff, your unlikely to make a whole lot of use of it gig wise it's really just a effect to have on occasion, that said for jamming and practice you can defiantly have some fun with this thing it's not perfect but it sure is fun :) // 7

Reliability & Durability: it's made of pretty thick solid steel and aside from the control knob which is as solid as they get there's actually nothing you can break on it even the incredible hulk would have trouble smashing this thing it's one of the most solid pedals I've ever seen I've gigged this thing loads of times and it's indestructible! You'd never really need a backup for this type of effect anyway but if you were the type who relied on it a lot (unlikely) even if you owned a monster truck and went nuts you'd actually have trouble breaking it! // 10

Overall Impression: good solid indestructible pedal with really fun effects, only downside is that in practice it's unlikely to get a whole lot of use gigging and it does have a very digital sound to it but otherwise it's a blast to use :) if it was stolen or lost i'd be pretty annoyed cos it's expensive for a pedal but I doubt I'd get another one due to the fact it's not really a practical buy it's more for fun unless you're regularly doing rage against the machine/steve vai covers and even then it's use is limited, that said i'd recommend everyone to try it out for themselves to see what it sounds like it's great fun to experiment with, tho if your short on cash (who isn't?) and are looking to improve your setup it's not a necessity it's really just an extra to add to your pedalboard once you've covered the basics and it's an expensive pedal think practically before you part with the cash cos in action tho it's fun this will rarely see much use. // 7

Whammy Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 07, 2011

Price paid: C$ 280

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

Ease of Use: The pedal is a dream to use, the one knob is smooth and it won't get in the way of anything. You can even use the knob with your foot if your partway into a song on the wrong setting. The lights come in handy, you don't need to squint at the settings. // 10

Sound: I use a Godin SD guitar and a crappy little Fender G-DEC amp, with the only other pedal being a EH Germanium Big Muff 4. On it's own, the octave up is kinda weak, but if you put your gain before the pedal, it will sound like Jack White's solo's. It takes a little practice to get it right, but it will become a useful tool for you. When the pedal is engaged, it gives off a very faint hiss, but almost any pedal will make hiss too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have dropped this pedal on concrete. TWICE! The paint chipped easy, but the pedal still works like a dream. I would trust this thing with my life! Because I only have 2 pedal's (less means more) I don't use a pedalboard, just a computer bag. It has worked just fine like this. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for almost 3 years now, and like many indy-hard-punk-blues rock acts. When used correctly, this thing is a several pound red hot pedal of HOLY F#&@)! My only concern is of these 2 rubber feet under the foot control. They keep the pedal from staying in the heel down position and bend the pitch a little. Just push them off and you can keep the pedal at the normal octave, without using the foot button. Mines engaged all the time. // 9

Whammy Reviewed by: ShaneCallaghan, on may 23, 2011

Ease of Use: First of all, I'll get the bad out of the way, it's not true bypass, it's not polyphonic so you can't play chords while you're rockin that treadle forward on the +2oct setting. Though that does give a nice effect. But apart from these things, the pedal is piss easy to use, just a twisty knob to choose what setting you want, on/off footswitch and the treadle to change the pitch. Good manual, shows everything you need to know and importantly how to calibrate it. // 10

Sound: I use this in a long chain of effects pedals with no trouble, sounds well no matter where I put it, but I prefer it with a nice slow delay, so you can hear the pitch changing. I use active pups in my guitars and run into a Blackstar HT-40 and it really does sound whacky when you want it. But that's the right hand side of the settings selection, all whacky and stuff, but on the left hand side, oh my is it good. This is the harmonizing side and these settings will beef up any solo and particularly the octave harmony. It gets you that nice jamiroquai - deeper underground sound with a bit of distortion. But bare in mind, that may annoy your bass player. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can totally depend on this pedal, it's built like a little tank, all red and just demanding you to slam your foot into it and make the crowd think your strangling a bird into a microphone. The only thing that I can think lets it down is that it has these wee rubber feet under the treadle which don't let the treadle stay toe down, so if you want to leave it toe down for a distinctive sound it may be out of tune. So you could take these of or trim them with a scalpel like I have. I'll just add that I've had this 3 years and it's had no problems yet. // 9

Overall Impression: Muse, Tom Morrello, Ministry, Jamiroquai, Dimebag Darrell, you can't get their sound without this bad boy, well you can try, but this works best in my opinion. I play metal, heavy rock, and when I'm bored, pop and dance music and this thing works well, it compliments your sound when you give a wee flick of the pedal and if it was stolen, boy I'd be pissed and buy a new one. I have a DigiTech EX-7 which gets a similar sound as it has a patch of the Whammy but I would never see this as a replacement cos it just doesn't have variations the Whammy does, though I think the new Boss PS-6 can hold a torch to it given that you use an expression pedal with it and it's also polyphonic so you can through in those organ sounding intros and stuff. Overall, kicka-s pedal. // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: Bridge_H, on may 24, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: It can't really get any easier using this pedal. It has a knob. You spin the knob. The red light moves from setting to setting as you spin the knob. You put it on the setting you like and play. It even has diagrams under the settings to let you know what the pedal will be doing when lifted up or pushed down. For you other pedal newbies out there, like me, make sure your cable is running out of the "Wet Out" jack; the dry doesn't provide any effects. Other than that, this thing is a breeze. // 9

Sound: I play the pedal through a Raven RG60 amp with my Fender Strat. While some of the effects can sound a little too digital on a clean channel, I can do some amazing stuff with this pedal through a distortion or fuzz pedal (I mainly use an NYC Big Muff for this). I bought the pedal mainly for the octave changing effects (after seeing Jack White use like, three of them lol), but the Harmony uses of the pedal surprised me. It's very fun to play around with simple and new riffs having the pedal set to go down a fifth. Also, setting the pedal down one octave is very useful in imitating a bass guitar. My band is currently without a bass player, so we recorded our demo tape using this pedal for supplying the bass sounds. I'm dying to plug it into a bass and set it up an octave and see how that works out. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I bought the pedal used, and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between it and one that was brand new in the store. I wouldn't have any problem using it at gigs (aside from making sure to keep my eye on it so it doesn't end up going home with someone else) as it seems it can take a beating (I don't plan on abusing it though, lol!) // 10

Overall Impression: I play garage punk/grunge kind of music. Like I said, I'm very influenced by Jack White, and I've been wanting one of these pedals for a long time. I was definitely not disappointed; if anything at all were to happen to this pedal, if just ONE setting stopped working for whatever reason, I'd replace it ASAP. It's a must have pedal for me, and I'd give a 100% recommendation to all other guitar players. Just being able to play around with the settings is fun as hell, and the cool solo effects and riffs you can write with the thing are incredible. // 10

Whammy Reviewed by: Maidenheadsteve, on july 27, 2012

Purchased from: Union Music

Ease of Use: The DigiTech Whammy is very easy to use. The manual is very instructive, though it is not very necessary, as the settings on the pedal are self-explanatory in regards to what they do. It is very easy to get Tom Morello (2 or one octave up) and Jack White sounds (one octave up or down) out of it. // 10

Sound: I use this with a Kramer Striker 300 and a Peavey Vyper 15, though it works with practically any setup. It is not noisy at all (in regards to extra feedback/hum) The effect is usually pretty strong, but is stronger with distortion. However, when you set it to an octave down (for an example) and continuously play, it sounds broken up ("glitchy"). I can get Tom Morello sounds easily, i.e. "Killing In The Name" or "Bullet In The Head". // 9

Reliability & Durability: It can be dependable, but after a few months of use, I got to the point where I had to recalibrate it (it gets out of tune) every 15 minutes. This obviously isn't very good if you play live. However, I've never had it completely break down, so it will always work. A backup really isn't needed. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a good match for any style of music that would need the pedal, though I play it for heavier styles. The best example that I use with this is Rage Against The Machine. My favorite settings are the 2 and 1 octave up, and detune, which offers a chorus-type effect. The only problems are the repeated need for re-calibration, the signal breakup, and the fact it can only use the DigiTech power supply (not useable with my Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus). I would buy another one, but I want the more versatile Whammy DT model. // 8

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ RP355 8.6 Guitar Effects 08/04/2014