DCH-1 Chorus Review

5.3
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
DCH-1 Chorus Reviewed by: JoeFlips, on september 19, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This pedal is surprisingly nice. It is very easy to get a good sound, because I can't get a bad sound out of it! It also has a lot of different sounds, for all different applications. It has a Rate, Depth, and Intensity knob. The rate is pretty self explanatory, and it also has the ability to make the effect more noticeable around the middle position, and more subtle all the way on either side. The depth knob gives it more character the farther you turn it. It gets very spacey towards the 3, 4, and 5 o'clock range. The Intensity knob controls the amount of effect. All the way down, it is practically off, and all the way makes your cleans sound like a psychedelic roller-coaster. It did not come with a manual, and there are very little details about it. Only on the bottom of the pedal does it give instructions on power supply, etc. No information about polarity and not very clear, so this is where it lost points in this category. // 8

Sound: My expectations were low, for a small brand like Dinosaur that came in a package deal. I was pleasantly surprised. I am running it through an Airline 3P DLX and a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 head with a Marshall 1960A speaker cab. Noise is not an issue. As I said this pedal sounds great. It has a nice rich but not overpowering tone. Its also very versatile. You can go from a subtle enhancement of your cleans to a full-on wave of lush tone. There are no settings that are ridiculously extreme, and no settings that sound bad. I've used so many setting combinations, and I was surprised by the variation in sounds. Overall, very good sound quality. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is the weak point of the pedal. It is plastic. It isn't constructed perfectly, but it doesn't feel like it will disintegrate under your foot anytime soon. I would not depend on it without a backup if I absolutely needed a chorus effect, but I usually keep it simple, so I probably wouldn't bring a backup personally. // 5

Overall Impression: This pedal sounds beautiful, is easy to use, but isn't the most reliable pedal on the market. It can go from a nice clean enhancement to a blast of psychedelic chorus. I mostly play Classic Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Blues rock, and Garage Rock. This pedal can match all of those styles perfectly. I've been playing for three years, and I own a Gibson SG Special Faded, Airline 3P DLX, Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18, etc. If it were stolen, I'd buy something more reliable, but this is great for the price, and for anyone not gigging. I love the beautiful and versatile sound, and hate the lack of reliability. Overall, it sounds great, and it's fantastic for bedroom players, but not so much for gigging players. // 8

Comments