FX55C Supra Distortion Review

manufacturer: DOD date: 05/29/2012 category: Guitar Effects
DOD: FX55C Supra Distortion
FX55C has a pretty straightforward interface; three knobs - level, tone and gain, each doing exactly what you'd expect.
 Ease of Use: 9
 4.5
 8.9
reviews (2) pictures (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
FX55C Supra Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: First of all - this review is for the FX55C. It has a pretty straightforward interface; three knobs - level, tone and gain, each doing exactly what you'd expect. The only real disadvantage is the fact that the gain knob more or less goes to 100% when you turn it up to about nine o'clock, so you have to be careful. // 8

Sound: I use this with a Strat and a Jazzmaster with a humbucker in the bridge. At a low gain setting it produces something similar to the typical distorted "classic rock" sound, but what I really bought it for was to use it to make some real razor sharp noise. The distortion is nowhere near as warm and full as a Boss distortion pedal, it really works mostly in the mid- and treble ranges. It's perfect for Extreme Metal and alternative rock styles, but if you plan to sound like Yngwie Malmsteen or some other "mainstream" rock/metal guitarist you should look for something else or put a different distortion/overdrive pedal after it in the chain to get a warmer sound. For me, though, this is the perfect sound, so I give it a ten out of ten. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing was built in the late nineties and has seen some action, but is still alive and kicking, and I'm not expecting it to give in for the next ten years either. Looks very solid, as do my other DOD pedals. The metal chassis seem to be somewhat stronger than those on Boss's pedals. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of styles and use this pedal mainly for shoegaze and black metal, and for those styles it is probably one of the best pedals available that doesn't have a $150+ price tag. If I had to use it to dodge a bullet or if it was run over by a train I'd replace it as soon as I could find another, and if I had to I'd be prepared to pay three times as much as I bought it for. The only thing I don't like about it is the uneven gain pot, but when I found the spot I wanted I just let it stay there, and the pots on this thing don't move easily by themselves. All in all, I give this pedal a nine out of ten. // 9

FX55C Supra Distortion Reviewed by: Skylar W., on may 29, 2012

Purchased from: The Music Box

Ease of Use: This pedal has a super simple interface. You got your level, your tone, and your gain controls. Simple as that. // 10

Sound: For my set-up, it usually goes as such: Agile 930 (9 string) guitar to the DOD pedal to the input of my Epiphone SoCal 50 head (running through the matched cab). I use this pedal to boost the distortion on my amp and tighten it up as the distortion on the amp alone is more bluesy than anything and I am a metal kind of guy. I usually run the gain on the amp just under 50% and the gain on the pedal between the first mark and the second mark. It does get a little noisy when you turn the gain up, but nothing that can't be fixed with a nice gate. In my personal opinion, if you plan on using this for it's distortion alone, it's gonna be pretty weak. However, if you are going to use it to boost the Drive channel on your amp, it'll sound pretty good and you'll get a much tighter tone with more attack (although, I haven't tried it through any other amps except my Epiphone SoCal). As somewhat stated, I use this pedal to boost the Drive channel on my amp and get a much tighter response with more attack and I can get that "djent" tone or whatever you'd call it, similar to Meshuggah or Periphery. Not exact, but close enough for an inexpensive pedal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I really haven't had it long enough to comment on the reliability/durability yet, but when I bought the pedal used from a local music shop I was told that the previous owner had used it extensively and it still works perfectly fine for me. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this pedal suits my needs and does exactly what I expect it to do for the styles of music that I play which is the progressive metal stuff. I have been playing for maybe two or two and half years at this point and my arsenal also includes a B.C. Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, an Epiphone SG G-400, a Marshall Class 5, a Fab Metal Distortion, all in addition to the DOD FX55C Supra Distortion and my Epiphone SoCal 50 head with the matched cab. // 9

More DOD reviews rating category latest review
+ FX86 Death Metal Distortion 7.7 Guitar Effects 08/21/2014