95Q Cry Baby Wah Wah Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 03/07/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: 95Q Cry Baby Wah Wah
The 95Q is a flexible tone monster that retains the original Crybaby's fast-reacting characteristics.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 8.3
 8.4
 8.2
reviews (4) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
95Q Cry Baby Wah Wah Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2007

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

Ease of Use: It is very easy to get a decent sound out of this pedal, but it takes some time to get a sound that you truly love. The "manual" didn't help in getting the sound I wanted, at all. It was just some tips that you could figure out if you were completely new to guitar. Although after all the hassle you go through with setting up the right sound, you never have to change it again, it is just easy sailing from there. // 7

Sound: I play my Ibanez JTK1 through the wah, into the MXR GT-OD, into my Peavey Transtube 112 amp, and it sounds great. It doesn't make any unwanted noise at all, unless you enable the volume boost and have it set for the vol. boost to be at max. It is quite versatile, capable of playing blues to classic rock (when set on low sweep frequency)all the way to some true metal (normally when set on higher sweep freq). // 7

Reliability & Durability: The reliability and Durability was much better than everything else the pedal seemed to offer. Although when I bought it, Brand New from the store, the case you snap on, to lock the 9volt battery in the bottom, was broken and didn't hold it in at all. Despite this, it is built like a tank, and I can even stand on it without worrying about a thing. I would definitely use it playing a gig, without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic-rock, hard rock, and some metal, and this pedal is great for all of them. However, you have to play around with the dials, to make them suit each genre. I don't regret buying this product, seeing as it was my first wah pedal, but if it ever broke down or was stolen, I would definitely buy another wah pedal instead of this one. The thing I love most about it, is the fact that it has a spring, unlike all other wah pedals I've tried, so you don't need to crack back, you just put pressure forward, and ease the pressure to let it go backwards. I also love the fact that it is switchless, meaning the moment I put my foot on it, it engages, no stepping on a Switch. The only thing I don't like about it, is the un natural sound you get from hearing it go from normal to wah, it is not very smooth. Other than that, I really do like my pedal. // 9

95Q Cry Baby Wah Wah Reviewed by: monkey_dancer, on november 21, 2007

Ease of Use: Like most wah pedals, it is fairly easy to make it work: plug it in and manipulate the pedal using your foot. Without any tweaking at all it sounds ok, but it took a bit more work playing around with amp settings, the settings on this and other pedals, to get a sound I was happy with. I wasn't truly satisfied until I adjusted the height of my pickups as well. However, if you aren't that bothered about a particular tone, that isn't really necessary, as it sounds ok anyway. Unlike many wah pedals, there is no Switch to turn it on, it simply engages the wah whenever you press your foot down, and stops the wah when you lift your foot. I find this an amazingly useful feature. There is also a volume boost, which is quite useful and very easy to set up/use. The manual tells you how to set up the pedal and how to use it, and is very comprehensive. It has exactly as much instruction as is necessary for this simple pedal. // 8

Sound: I use this with an Ibanez S470, a Boss ODB-3 (a bass Overdrive but I like the guitar tone I get with it), a DigiTech Whammy and a fairly old (20 years? ) solid state amp, 15 watts, manufacturer unknown. It only produces noise when engaged, as it has (from what I can tell) true bypass with no change to the signal. I have the guitar going to this pedal, then to the Whammy, then the Overdrive, then the amp. I only like the sound with the 'Q' set near or on the highest value, with a shallow sweep I find that it gives too abrupt a tone change, and not a particularly nice one. I can't really judge how well it reproduces the sounds of some of my favourite artists Who use wah (Kyuss era Josh Homme, Tom Morello), as, due to my amp and Overdrive, I can't really get tones similar to theirs (especially Homme's). I have seen it's distortion-handling capabilities criticised, but I think it actually sounds better with a bit of overdrive/distortion. When playing clean I find the high end a bit too piercing, and the low end not well defined (probably partially due to the crap stock pickups on my Ibanez). This is disappointing, but by changing the Q setting (the great thing about this as opposed to the regular Crybaby) and being careful about foot movement, this can be overcome fairly easily. In combination with the Whammy, it can sound bad, but with careful use of both it can make really nice sounds. With the octave up on the Whammy, for instance, as long as you avoid very high pitched notes, it sounds great. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've never actually played a gig with it (the first time I will use it live is this friday), but so far it seems solid. I am a little concerned by the battery compartment, which doesn't seem completely solid, but I never use batteries in pedals anyway because of the risk of them running out. Still, it could potentially cause a little bit of damage to the wiring if this was broken. However, I will use it at my next gig without a backup, as it seems that with normal use (no dropping it or other careless things) it will be fine. // 7

Overall Impression: I play pop-rock/post punk/alt. rock with my bands, and jazz, blues, hard rock (like RATM/Audioslave, not really very similar but they're both rock-y), ska and reggae, and other things sometimes. This wah suits all these genres for me, because with the Q control which changes the sweep, it can produce a wide variety of sounds. I have been playing for either 4 or 5 years (I actually don't know). I also own the pedals, amp and guitar I mentioned earlier, along with an Ibanez PT-5 multi effects unit, a Fender BG-29 acoustic bass, a cheap Stagg bass and a cheap strat copy guitar. I was bought this as a gift, but if I had bought it myself, I would have tried out other wahs as well as this, and possibly bought something else. I don't know, though, as I have never tried any other wah pedals. If it were stolen or I lost it, I would try out other wah pedals, and I might choose this, or I might not. Having tried only this and an Original Crybaby, I would definitely buy a pedal which didn't have a Switch to turn the effect on (maybe not this one, but that is the one essential feature of a wah for me after owning this pedal), because that feature makes playing a small amount of wah in the middle of a song so much easier. My favourite feature, which I absolutely love, is the lack of a Switch; the fact that the pedal is always ready, as I only ever use wah in small amounts during a song, and am very active when playing (even when practicing) so I don't normally have the time to press a Switch, and I don't want to have to remember whether the wah is on or not. There is nothing I hate about the pedal; as I said before, I don't like the sound when the Q is set low, but I never have to set it like that, so it isn't a problem at all. I wouldn't add anything to this pedal. It would just become too complicated, when the best things about the pedal as it is are the simplicity and ease of use. // 7

95Q Cry Baby Wah Wah Reviewed by: ShaneCallaghan, on january 10, 2012

Price paid: € 135

Purchased from: Reynolds Letterekenny

Ease of Use: It's very easy to get a good sound out of this, it basically comes set to rock. There's no patch editing to be done, it's bucket brigade works inside that beautiful iconic black metal case. The manuals good, only needs to list the 2 controls and talk about the treadle. // 10

Sound: I use this in front of any of my other effects, into my DigiTech Whammy, Ex-7, OD-3, GE-7, DsD-3 and then into my Line 6 Dl4 delay pedal and into my Blackstar HT40. No matter what guitar I use with this, humbucker equipped, single coiled, active/passive, hollow/solid bodied; this pedal has the same range, same sound, same kicka-sed effect. It's not really noisy unless you set the boost to full and holding the pedal so the effect is engaged while distorting the sound, it's noisy. But just a buzz, nothing that a noise suppressor can't sort out, OR, you could just take your foot of the pedal so it's off. This pedal is just a modified version of the icon that is the crybaby wah, it gets every great sound and tone you want. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yup, I believe that this thing would be able to take a serious pounding and a heck of a lot of road work, but, I am a little concerned about the openly visible pot but I know that's reliable. I must also note, that when I got this pedal, before I plugged it in I checked in the battery case to see if it was included, I couldn't open it easily and ended up breaking the battery case. So it was sellotaped closed before I got to use it for the first time. This may seem like a bad thing but I have a universal power supply running my board so I don't really care as long as it's running. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and rock and a good load of anything really. I think this pedal covers all bases of music and will last the test of time as a must have pedal. If not this model of the crybaby, everyone should own a crybaby some time. They are a great learning tool and a great songwriting tool. If it were nicked, I'd definately get another, the exact same model. What I love about it is the subtle Drive boost you can get from pressing the little red button in, it's just the cherry on top. Get a crybaby, canny beat them. // 10

95Q Cry Baby Wah Wah Reviewed by: SkinnyMusicTV, on march 07, 2013

Ease of Use: The Dunlop 95Q Cry Baby Wah Wah is an effects pedal for the electric guitar. Finding the perfect wah pedal for your particular needs can be quite a fun little challenge. There are so many great ones, making the challenge anything but frustrating. // 9

Sound: The 95Q has a few really cool bells and whistles which are what separate it from the standard Dunlop classic. Now, I don't believe that Dunlop makes the best wah pedal. I wrote an article thoroughly addressing this which you can find under "Josh's Corner" at www.skinnymusic.com. I am a big fan of the original Thomas Organ Company/VOX Clyde McCoy from the late 60's/early 70's that Geoffrey Teese recreates via his Real McCoy Custom Wah's, such as the RMC3F. That being said, it would be ridiculous to wax sardonic with regards to every other wah out there like some austere fascist. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The Dunlop 95Q Cry Baby is super-cool for the price (around $120.00) and is extremely versatile. I love the the famous "Q" control, which varies the intensity of the wah effect by adjusting the effect's bandpass shape. It is so important that a player has the ability to adjust the depth of the effect. Quickly though, I must say that I'm surprised how many people actually disagree with me on that. I've talked to some very heavy-hitters who don't seem to care much about that - which I admittedly, find a little shocking. Dunlop's Auto-Return function that automatically engages the effect when you place your foot on the pedal is a personal favorite. Now, this means that you don't have the standard engage button to press which may also turn a few folks off. This is a matter of personal preference and it seems much more efficient to have the pedal ready to go without having to depress it first. It is logical to me but I could see how that would bother certain people. The other notable feature is the volume boost which is just a cool bonus. I'm all about extra boost and volume controls whenever possible and the Dunlop 95Q provides this in a very manageable format. // 8

Overall Impression: So, the Dunlop 95Q Cry Baby Wah Wah is a very nice improvement on their classic standard. I believe that the value is great for the price. I definitely prefer the original Thomas Organ and the Italian Fasel inductor/special caps but that will cost you an extra hundred bucks and it's not like the Dunlop sounds bad. In fact, it sounds great, it's just not the best. When it comes to finding your perfect wah, there is a lot of information out there. Read a little bit, watch some demos and try them out for yourself. As I said, there are so many cool ones that it should be a fairly painless journey - Enjoy! By Josh Hiken // 8

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013