DB-01 Dimebag Cry Baby From Hell Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 07/26/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: DB-01 Dimebag Cry Baby From Hell
Designed in conjunction with Dimebag Darrell of Pantera, the DB-01 Crybaby From Hell gives you everything you need to do serious wah damage.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Ease of Use: 8.5
reviews (10) pictures (3) 37 comments vote for this gear:
DB-01 Dimebag Cry Baby From Hell Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 22, 2006

Purchased from: Hollowood Music

Ease of Use: This pedal is ridiculous. It has the five way selector on the side to change the tone from a high singing wah to a low rumbling wah. It also has three smaller knobs that allow you to change the breadth of the sweep and a fine tune knob that gives you even more control over the tone. The volume boost on the pedal gives a nice extra crunch to the guitar especially on clean settings. Another thing that might be useful is that it has an extra input on the same side as the output. It didn't really help me very much but whatever. This is the most versatile wah that I have ever used, but the controls are kinda complicated. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal with a Gibson SG Standard and a highway one telecaster through a Fender pro junior amp. It sounds really good with all other effects, but I like it most just by itself. It does get kind of noisy when you have overdrive or distortion on and the volume boost on the wah. You get a single coil buzz times 500. Pretty much this pedal sounds great all the time once you get it set to where you like it. You can get pretty much any tone out of this whether it be Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton or Dimebag or Zakk Wylde, pretty much whatever you want. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. I can put all my weight on it (and I'm a big dude) and it doesn't even effect it at all. I have gigged with it and it sounds great live. You would never need a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock and blues along with basically anything else you want. This thing fits every musical style imaginable. I've been playing for about 7 years and this is my third wah pedal. I don't think I'm ever going to need another one. If it was stolen I would replace it but I would check out the new slash wah first. I compared this one to the 535Q and a Classic Crybaby (I've had others but none are as sweet sounding as crybabies) but when I went to buy the 535Q the store was out and but they had this one so the guy sold it to me for the price of the 535Q. Glad I got this one it is sweet! // 9

DB-01 Dimebag Cry Baby From Hell Reviewed by: Th6r6a6sH, on may 14, 2009

Ease of Use: Named after the late Guitarist, the Dimebag Signature wah has been labeled as a monster pedal suited to monster playing styles. True to Dunlop Fame, the Dimebag Wah is both versatile and sturdy, and in comparison to other Wah models, this one comes with more options for the most discriminating tone seekers out there. The unit has been fitted with a 5-way selector Switch for picking that perfect frequency band, from bottomed out low-C tunings to searing high leads, the selector can find what you want at the turn of a dial. If that wasn't fun enough, it also comes with the Variable Q-Control found on various other Dunlop Wah models, and sports a fine-tuning mini knob right next to it to further extend your tonal foundation to extreme bounds. Combine all that with a kick-in boost button located near the heel, and it's own boost level mini-knob next to the fine tuning control, and this pedal becomes a raging box of hell perfect for making your axe scream. All the bells and whistles that come with it are hard to work with at first, so if you seek a specific sound, be prepared to spend a lot of time dialing it in. No manual will tell you how you want to sound, so you'll have to use the good ol' earholes to tell you what's good. // 8

Sound: I'm very small on effects, but this Wah had found a place on my rig almost immediately. Simply a Dean ML, formerly a straight shot to my MG100HDFX (yeah, yeah, MG, but it works for me), but is now a Guitar-Wah-Amp setup capable of kicking sonic ass. If I crank everything, all goes smoothly as long as I have everything set to what I want them to be. I can take this pedal over the top with every knob to the dime and let the leads scream "metal-from-hell", or I can soften them up a substantial bit for a very subtle touch of vocalization the most humble of players can admire. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've put all my weight and force onto, into, and upon this pedal and one thing's for sure; this box ain't breaking. It's been kicked, dropped, crushed, and slammed, but has gone onto a perfect set every time. I honestly believe this pedal will outlast me. I never have used a backup, and never will with this outstandingly durable piece of machinery. // 10

Overall Impression: I love to play metal solos through this pedal, and it blows me away every night with it's superior tone. All I have to do is dial everything back and the next thing I know, I'm playing hard rock and blues in an instant. Half a decade has gone by learning how to play, and I only wish I could have grabbed this pedal sooner, because it is an excellent Tool for expanding a grasp on guitar sounds. If someone were able to wrench this pedal out from under my foot, I'd have to beat them with it, and I guarantee it'd still sound wicked perfect. But if they got away, I'd skip my happy self all the way back to GC and grab me a fresh one. I'm a fan of the camo paint job, and I'm a skater, so the skate grip on the rocker set me over the edge with love for this box. I sort of knew I'd Pick this over the Zakk Wylde model, even though I really couldn't decide. The clerk up front said "That Dime's got a bigger sweep though", so I said I'd take it. It has everything I'll ever need and I'll never look back. // 10

DB-01 Dimebag Cry Baby From Hell Reviewed by: Maidenheadsteve, on july 26, 2012

Purchased from: Union music

Ease of Use: Very easy to get various Wah range and tones. Can go from classic rock to thrash with use of the knobs. // 10

Sound: I use this with a Peavey Vyper 15 and a Kramer Striker 300. It only gets noisy when fully boosted with high gain. Works equally well clean when the fine tune knob is decreased slightly (it can be too bright when full). It is very easy to go from Hendrix to new wave of Brit metal to thrash. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable, as I've dropped it and used it live soon after. I'd never need a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: This is great for all genres of music because it is the most versatile Wah on the market. I mostly use it for metal (maiden) and it does that with ease. I like using the Boost knob with the neck pup for solos. Everything has a use with this wah, and I'd buy it again, regardless of it being new or used. It is also worth the extra money over a 535q. The paint job is also wicked sweet (just a plus; aesthetics don't matter that much to me). // 10

DB-01 Dimebag Cry Baby From Hell Reviewed by: Greenday389, on november 20, 2006

Ease of Use: The manual is good, but it has information on the bottom of the pedal and it's very easy to figure out. It is very easy to get a good sound out of it. All the knobs really help on giving the sound I want. The knobs are easy to adjust and the valume boost button can be used just by tapping it with your foot which is asome. // 10

Sound: I run my Dean Custom through my the crbaby to the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, then to my Behringer Ultraroc GX110. The pedal is'nt noisy and I like it that way. The wah effect is asome. I've tryed other wahs and this one is really asome. I havn't tryed to mimick my favorite artist's wah I jsut use my own sound. The wah sound is real asome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can deffinatly depend on this. In a gig. No problem! I have an adapter so I don't have to worry about the batteries dying. I would totally use this without a backup. This is totally built like a tank. It looks like it could take a big beating and still sound te same. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and classic rock. This pedal is a great match. This pedal is very versitile. It could probobly be used in any genery. I've been playing for 3 1/2 years. I have a Dean Custom, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Behringer V-AMP2, Behringer Ultraroc GX110, and a Peavey Rage 158. If this was stolen I'd totally buy another one. I love how it sounds so great and you have so many sweep options. I don't hate anything about it. // 10

DB-01 Dimebag Cry Baby From Hell Reviewed by: ^Slash^, on november 26, 2007

Ease of Use: There are a few knobs on it. It doesn't really take a long time to figure it out but it's not as simple as the classic and Original Crybaby. The manual tells you what each knobs does which is helpful I guess even though on the bottom plate of the pedal it has all the instructions too. 8 because it's not super simple. // 8

Sound: Sound is awesome! I don't play Pantera covers but I'm 100% sure it'd do them total justice. I play hard rock a blues. Like stuff from GN'R, VR, SRV, Hendrix, Zeppelin, etc. I use my Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom along with my Marshall Vintage Modern 2266. The wah is pretty distinct. Like all wahs it doesnt't really cut through after around the 16/17th fret. But the wah has the Q-control knob which gives different ranges of a different "wah". Like a deeper or a higher. I try to keep it fairly balanced, but I keep it a tad more on the deeper side. I compared it to the Zakk Wylde wah and I thought this was better by far. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm 100% sure I can depend on it. I've treated all my wahs like shit. They're supposed to stomped on haha. But other than that I don't think I would need a backup as long as I put fresh batteries in it or later end up buying an adapter for it. The paint sorta makes it look weak at first but it's still heavy and still feels strong. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that if you have the money for this wah spend it, this wah is like every wah put into one. I play hard rock and this wah is perfect for me. If it was stolen, well, I dunno I'd probably save up again and buy it again. I love all teh features. At first I was pretty sketchy about it since I like simple, but for this it was awesome, I can go from a Hendrix classic vibe wah to a more modern higher range wah. I compared this to the Hendrix and the Zakk Wydle wah and chose the Dimebag wah over both of them. I even own the classic too, which I am planning on selling. Or maybe modding. // 10

DB-01 Dimebag Cry Baby From Hell Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal is so great, just another masterpiece to add to Dunlop's long line of kick-ass wah pedals. I love this thing. At first, it might be a little hard to work with, but then again, all pedals need to be broken in. Once you read the manual and figure out what goes with what, and how it sounds, it is so easy to get the greatest wah tones you need out of it. I wouldn't take anything else over this. // 7

Sound: I use a Heritage Cherry P-90 Equipped Gibson SG that runs through a Boss MT2 Metal Zone into a Crate GTD120 2x12 Amp. That configuration alone allows for so many possible tones and sounds, but this Wah Pedal just blows them all up, adding the right sound to everything. It's only noisy when the toe is pressed all the way down, but that's only because of the single coils in my guitar. It never fades in or out, and is always consistent. I've been trying for months to get the classic Iommi feedback of songs like Iron Man and Black Sabbath, and the weeping panoramic of Led Zepp's "Dazed and Confused." With this pedal, I can get every sound, from Iommi to Page to Clapton to Jimi with no trouble at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is amazing. I've gigged with it multiple times, and it excels every time. I can't imagine any other wah pedal I'd rather have in my arsenal than this one. How much more reliable can Dunlop get? I have no idea, but it'll sure be a challenge to beat this one out. Great overall, it's practically a tank, and the camo finish affirms the fact that it could technically be a weapon. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of old school rock, blues, and metal, with some old progressive stuff [like Emerson, Lake & Palmer] and this pedal excels in allowing me the flexibility to play any of those genres. I can use it to mellow out my tone for blues, add a nasally bite for rock, and push it toe-down to get that vicious, snarling sound we all know and love. I've been playing for almost five years now, and in that time, I've tested and tried many wah pedals, but this pedal beats them all out. the one thing I love about most is the Variable Q Control. It allows me to dial in either a bright sparkling trebly tone perfect for soloing, or a darker, deeper tone for more acoustic/ambient riffs. Overall, kick-ass. Nothing I'd rather have by my side. If you play any form of rock, get your ass out there and get this damn pedal. You won't be sorry. Keep it loud, keep it heavy. // 10

DB-01 Dimebag Cry Baby From Hell Reviewed by: pilgrimevan, on april 29, 2009

Purchased from: GC

Ease of Use: I was amazed this last christmas when I received the DB-01 wah I had asked for, needless to say I am extremely impressed. It came in a box with an instruction manual and a Dunlop product guide, like most of us guys I threw the manual to the side and saw that it had everything right on the pedal, sweet! With a volume, tone, and range settings cranked I plugged her in and it sounded way too... Well wah-y. I figured that you can't really go to 11 on a pedal like this, so I messed around and found out that you can actually get a very wide range of tones and sounds that you can hear all over the fretboard. I'm giving it an 8 for three reasons, 1. The "Overdrive" Switch on the side show little to no effect if you already have any distortion. 2. Most of the controls are on the right side, limiting it to the right side of a pedalboard. 3. The Switch on the pedal to turn it on and off needs to be pressed with a lot of force to get it to work. // 8

Sound: I play though an Epi Les Paul Standard plugged into a Vox AD30. I mainly play Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, and RHCP, and you never would have guessed that you could get all those tones from one pedal. Like I said though, the effect can sometimes be too much, but if you get it right it sounds amazing. I really don't think my setup does it justice since it is the best piece of equipment in it's category, I think. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Hey, it's a wah pedal, it's supposed to be abused. As far as reliability goes, I can't really tell you. I've only had her for a few months but for what I got I don't see it breaking any time soon. There are two LED's that indicate the wah being on, and the boost being on. You can activate these separately or together. There was one thing, the plate that protects all the guts of the pedals is flimsy and weak. // 9

Overall Impression: Rock is not the only style this thing can dive in to, even if you hate Pantera, even if you hate Dimebag, even if you hate the paint job on this pedal, if you have the money and no wah, get it. Dunlop has not sold out a guitarists name just to get sales, they have made a very versatile product that you can always depend on. I'm not exactly someone who relies on pedals to get a sound I want, but this pedal just makes things a lot easier. // 9

DB-01 Dimebag Cry Baby From Hell Reviewed by: THRASH-METAL, on january 07, 2010

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Ease of Use: This wah is very easy to use. Most wahs are. At first I thought it was broken. I couldnt get a vocal like wah sound. I use all the knobs turned all the way up, other than the boost. I have the range selector on the last setting, full treble sound basicaly. I figured out though it was caused by the fact that I turn the tone knob all the way down on my guitar when soloing. When I turned it up it sounded great. The manual is pretty good. Explains what the knobs do, how to use it, and alot of other info. // 8

Sound: I am running it through a squire affinity stat into a Line 6 spider 3. It is not extremely noisey, unless you have the volume all the way up and the boost on, that's why I run my boost at about 80-90%. As I said before it sounds good as long as you don't role back the tone on your guitar. I really like dime, and my favorite artist of all time is Kirk Hammett. I can get a really good tone pretty close to theirs. It wont be as close as say Kirks KH-95, but I like it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As far as reliability and durability go, Tank, thats all I can say. It is heavy, durable, and gigworthy. Thats the great thing about crybabys though, they can take years worth of abuse. As long as I had an adapter I wouldn't worry about a backup. In a nutshell this thing is really solid. // 10

Overall Impression: I generally play classic thrash. It is a great match. I've been playing close to two years now. Along with the gear listed above I have a Kramer Focus VT-211s, Fender Frontman 15G (not used at all anymore).I love this thing and if it were stolen or lost it would be between this or the KH-95, I'm not sure which one I would get. I love all the features, the leds on the back ( which comes in handy ALOT more than you would think), and the sound.The only thing I don't like is the situation with the tone knob, but I don't think that's fault on the wahs part. My favorite feature (its hard to choose between them all) is probably the boost and leds on the back. I didn't compare it a whole lot. I tried it and knew it would be great. I kinda wish it came with an adaptor, but since they are only like 10 dollars it dosnt matter. I realy like dime and his tone and style, along with thrash metal which this is perfect for. This wah is absolutely great. // 9

DB-01 Dimebag Cry Baby From Hell Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 24, 2011

Purchased from: Private

Ease of Use: Its not that hard. It's a Wah pedal, and best part is its a crybaby from dunlop, that's all you need to know about the ease of use. You buy it with the box and you get a allen screw to adjust the rocker by tightening or loosening it to get your preferred ease of movement. Its really easy to get the sound you are looking for, its got 6 way range selector, a booster at the side and three controls (volume (for boost), sweep range select, fine tune) - in order. They have a simple easy to follow manual and if you know how to play chess you know how to work this thing out for your tone. Its that simple. Its got a battery compartment and shows the controls and what they are for on the bottom. // 9

Sound: I use this with a Zoom Mfire-36 amp and Zoom G2 effects unit. Trust me, I put this thing to a Peavey 5150 lead setting, and this thing just kills man. Its got great sound. I play thrash metal, death metal, groove metal and hardrock, and its not that hard to get that sound out of it. The Wah comes with a red fasel inductor, and that is, to me, a very good setup for a Wah pedal. The stock inductor comes with the classic and Original Crybaby I think, but you can always change it to that. Its not noisy, unless you keep on adding more and more eq with heck loads of treble or bass. The effects are good. The boost remains activated but does not affect the sound without switching on the wah. Once you Switch on the wah, the boost really acts on the sound. Its good for solos you kno. I play this through a Vintage clean chorused sound and a very non modern distortion sound and they both sound great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Heck yeah. Its really heavy, but I mean don't throw it out of the 3 floor of a building or something. But you gotta have power supply like a 9 volt battery or an adapter. Its just the same as any other Jim Dunlop pedal if it comes to turning the pedal on or off. If you put in the input cable, the pedal is switched on. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Thrash, Death, Hard Rock, Country, and I find it cool. I played for nearly 4 years, and I own a Jackson PDX King V. Its a great Wah pedal, I mean its a Dimebag Darrell Signature, the Soloist of the 90's man. that's just the name, but its really got the blood and the heart to pump it man. It's great. // 9

DB-01 Dimebag Cry Baby From Hell Reviewed by: ne14t, on october 07, 2011

Price paid: C$ 99

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Ease of Use: The Cry Baby From Hell is practically plug n play, pop in a battery, put it in your effects chain and make your guitar cry! Very straight forward and simple I am sure my three year old niece could figure it out. The bottom of the pedal labels the function of each knob and switch on the pedal so there is never that feeling of Hmmmm what did this trim pot do again! Aside from the fine tune trim pots all adjustments can be made with your foot. 9/10 as this pedal looks like it would be complicated to get a good sound out of, but it took me maybe 10 mins to find the Wah tone I was after. // 9

Sound: My effect chain is real simple... Gibson Explorer ---> CFH ---> MXR Distortion ---> MXR Overdrive ---> Marshall Haze 15 Half Stack I do not experience much noise with the pedal, it definitely changes the tone just being plugged in, with the boost on and set to +17dB it can be REAL loud even on an amp turned down. With the MXR distortion pedal on the Wah can feedback real fast creating that shrill high pitched squeal; however I think this is from the amount of gain stacking that's happening. I do not have this issue with the tamer MXR OD pedal. Every aspect of the Crybaby From Hell is adjustable, I was after an all purpose general use Wah pedal and the CFH most certainly fits the bill, you can turn the sweep down to a lower Vintage style Wah or crank it up so high that it sounds like a wailing banshee and hit everywhere in between. I have mucked around with the effects built into the amp with the Wah as well, combined with a lengthy delay it could produce some interesting echos, I have really been enjoying playing it with a bit of a phase to it, makes the sound really move around. I didn't notice too much of a difference when I used the Wah with a chorus effect on, but the built in chorus on my amp is meh to begin with. 9/10 as so far this pedal has yet to hit a wall, I have got it to wail extremely high pitched, made it Wah almost like a baritone and my favorite of all is it does the 70s porno "chicka-chicka" sound perfectly, that alone should get it a 10/10. // 9

Reliability & Durability: 100% dependable, this pedal is built like a freaking tank, heck the camo paint job on it makes me think it may actually be made out of decommissioned tank armor! If you take good care of your gear this pedal will probably outlast most items in your chain. Its beefy, rugged and has nice weight to it so it doesn't move around at all. I would gig with this without a backup pedal and would not lose a single second of sleep over it. I even had my 300lb buddy put all his weight onto the pedal and it didn't even creak. 9/10 I am 100% confident I will never replace this pedal due to it breaking, only reason I would have to replace it would be because it got stolen. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of rock, punk, metal, funk, stoned out of my mind improv... I mean stoner rock, and almost everything in between and so far this pedal has worked for everything. This pedal really is a universal wah, I spent about 4 months decided on a Wah and then snagged the CFH when a used one was returned with no box to my Long and McQuade and was put on a discounted sale. Being $10 more then a standard Crybaby I had to jump on it. If this pedal was stolen I would rush out to replace it even if I had to pay the full $170 for a brand new one. I purchased the Wah just to mess around pretty much and its rapidly becoming my favorite effects pedal. I compared the CFH to various other Crybaby's, I didn't really look outside of the Dunlop brand too much; however I don't think anyone has anything really comparable to it, aside from that $40 knock of Beringher Hellbabe or what ever it is, BOOOOOO. Honestly I love everything about it, the only thing that I would have changed about its design was possibly to make the pedal function like a volume pedal when its not in Wah mode, but that could be asking for too much! 9/10 I know I know you guys are going to start doubting this review and I will simply say go out and test this pedal or go look at it and you will see this review may even be an understatement. Certainly fits my bill of general purpose wah. If you are after a Wah pedal this is probably at the top of the list, at least I feel this way, and if you can find one on sale like I did, don't hesitate! This is my third Dunlop manufactured pedal and so far I must say they are all very nice pieces. // 9

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013