DC-Brick Multi-Power Supply Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 07/31/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: DC-Brick Multi-Power Supply
The Dunlop DC-Brick Multi-Power Supply provides 7 - 9V and 3 - 18V outputs (10 total) for any type of battery-operated effect pedal. Its fully regulated 1,000-millamp power keeps your stomps steady without overheating, and with special circuit protection against shorts and overloads.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 9.7
 8.6
 9.6
 7.5
reviews (3) pictures (4) 21 comments vote for this gear:
DC-Brick Multi-Power Supply Reviewed by: obey_yourmaster, on july 13, 2006

Purchased from: Musician

Ease of Use: Very easy to use. Simply use the provided cords to hook up the pedals to the brick. Then plug the brick into the the wall, and no more batteries for you. It comes with plenty of cords to use, many of which I haven't even used yet! Very, very easy to use. // 10

Sound: It makes no interference with the amp/effects/ect. Very quiet, as it should be. I have heard that other types of this product (i.e. Voodoo Lab Pedal Power) make intereference with the amp, but I can't confirm any of these incidents. The pedals sound as if the battery is new at all times. The power doesn't fluctuate at all, making the sound out of your pedals consistant. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable. Like it's name says: it's a brick. It feels as if you could chuck it out a window, and it would still work. It doesn't seem as if there's much inside of it that could break/snap/ect, so you don't feel the need to be gentle with it (I'm not recommending you throw it at a wall, though). It has not failed me yet, and I don't expect it to. I'd bet my life on this thing. // 10

Overall Impression: Sadly, I have only two pedals. A Dunlop Crybaby pedal, and an Onerr Distortion pedal. It powers both beautifully. It comes with all the needed cords, and they click into the brick/pedal, so you know how far to push it in. It's velcroed to my pedalboard, so I don't think I'll lose it anytime, but if were to be stolen, I would buy a new one in a heartbeat. The money saved from buying batteries is unbelievable. I love everything about this product, but my favorite part is the mesmerizing blue light on the top. It's cheaper than the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power, and in my opinion, a better buy. // 10

DC-Brick Multi-Power Supply Reviewed by: rv_phoenix, on december 19, 2011

Price paid: € 113

Purchased from: Guitar Shop, Bucharest, Romania

Ease of Use: DC Brick is not an effects pedal, but it's a device an effects pedal will hugely appreciate. Because it's a multi-power box, able to feed 10 stompboxes at the time. It comes in a metal case, provided with 10 plugs: 7 for 9V pedals and 3 for 18V. The package includes an AC adapter (to feed the brick itself) and 10 quality cables, so you can connect your pedals to its sockets. Mine is made in 2011, couldn't find where (but I assume, given its price, it's got to be somewhere in the Far East). There's a serial number printed on the cardboard box, but I just can't read it, despite the fact that I can see perfectly and I don't wear glasses. I bought it new, from a respected music shop - one of the two I'm regularly paying visits - and, since it's not an effects pedal, it is very simple to use. Just plug the adapter in the dedicated plug on the left side of the DC Brick, the blue light is on, connect your pedals and that's it. There is a manual in its box, but it doesn't reveal any other secret. Just make sure you plug the right pedal in the right socket, according to the signs clearly printed above each group of sockets. In order to avoid further comments: it gets a 9 here because I don't like to buy something without being aware where is it made. // 9

Sound: Being just a power source and not a pedal, it isn't supposed to produce any sound. But most of the common power supplies affect the sound of your pedals. The DC Brick doesn't. It's dead silent. When I first bought it, I had a huge surprise to hear my pedals sounding much better at once, sounding the way they should. It's really a great improvement of any pedalboard: nor does it induce hum to pedals, neither does it produce its own hum. It is not only a power supply. It also acts like a peak filter and a barrier against power shorts and overloads. I use it half of the time at home, connected to my domestic plug: all the annoying problems I've encountered previously, using stock Roland supplies for each pedal, have simply vanished. My stompboxes are fully regulated, safely working, releasing the sound, without the unwanted presence of all sorts of hums and buzzes. It would have been THE perfect power supply if provided with a RFI filter. I didn't encounter a radio-interference problem yet, but I suppose it might occur in a radio-influenced environment. I currently use it to feed the following pedals: 1) MXR Micro Amp, 2) Seymour Duncan Lava Box, 3) HardWire CR 7 Chorus, 4) Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phaser, 5) Rocktron Hush Pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If I depend on it? It's one of the 2-3 things I've run for 20 years now. Since I have good hearing, I hear the tinniest hum and buzz, the least significant altering of a pedal's genuine sound. So I'm addicted to my DC Brick: I can't play without it, whether I'm practising at home, rehearsing or gigging. It's the only pedal I've bolted to my pedalboard, all the rest is just stuck there somehow. DC Brick looks very sturdy, its case is made in metal, and I used it without a backup all the time. But if you play in a radio-influenced environment, I suggest you to plug the DC Brick into a power conditioner provided with RFI filter, in order to avoid any possible interferences. I know it sounds silly (and it puts a question mark on the concept too). Perhaps a RFI filter would have made the brick too expensive, but thuth is it doesn't solve all of your possible troubles. However, in its defense, I'd say you need a power conditioner, anyway, to feed your amp, so there's no big deal. The DC Brick fulfills its goals brilliantly. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Progressive, Classic Rock and Blues. DC Brick is not a matter of matching, it's a matter of feeding my pedals without any hum, noise, buzz what'soever. It's a matter of protecting my pedals from any incident it might occur when using regular plugs. I wished it had a RFI filter, as I've said, but I'll buy a power conditioner pretty soon, so this concept failure won't affect me anymore. I'd buy it again at any time and against any other multi-power supply or powered pedalboard (with the exception of SKB's Pro Series pedalboard, but that's 3 times more expensive!). I've heard about Voodoo Lab's power brick not getting well with some pedals - tube pedals, reportedly, - I've listen to Artec's discreet hum and to Behringer's nonsense powered pedalboard, basically a hum-producing machine. DC Brick is way ahead of any other stock multi-power supply available nowadays. Of course, if you're not satisfied with it, there's always a Pete Cornish with his handmade secret tools, but in such cases, you're probably Jimmy Page, so you wouldn't have any reason to read reviews! // 9

DC-Brick Multi-Power Supply Reviewed by: dumbface12, on july 31, 2012

Purchased from: Guitarcenter

Ease of Use: This is a Power Supply capable of power seven 9 volt footpedals and three 18 volt footpedals. It comes with an AC adapter, three 18 volt cords, seven 9 volt cords, and a manual. As for ease of use it is very easy to use. All you do is connect your pedals to the power supply via cords, and plug in the power supply to an AC outlet via the AC adapter. It's so easy a caveman can do it! // 10

Sound: There is no extra sound that comes from this. I have it powering my Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1, Boss DD-3, Dunlop GCB-95 Wah, and MXR 10-band EQ. Which makes me very very very HAPPY! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is very reliable, I've had it for at least 6 months now and it has not failed me in anyway, nor have the cords that have come with it. Would I gig without a backup? Well considering I don't have another power supply for all my pedals it looks as if I don't have a choice. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is why do people buy the Voodoo Labs power supply this power supply is ten times better. For example, if the Voodoo Labs power supply was in a fight with the Dunlop power supply the Dunlop power supply would hands down win. The Voodoo Labs wouldn't even get a punch in. If I lost this I would buy it again. Now if it was stolen, well, I would find the guy using a particular set of skills I have acquired over the years and throw a Voodoo Labs power supply with a bomb strapped on it killing the guy who has stolen it and victory shall be mine! // 10

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013