EVH-95 Eddie Van Halen Signature Wah Review

review (1) pictures (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
EVH-95 Eddie Van Halen Signature Wah Reviewed by: mecan1, on december 20, 2012

Price paid: C$ 199.99

Purchased from: Long and McQuade's

Ease of Use: The EVH Wah pedal wouldn't be the best pedal to give to beginner guitarists, but once you get the hang of it, it's one of the most strongest tools in your arsenal. I've never been a fan of the spring-loaded cry baby's, so this EVH Wah pedal was a great addition to my effects cabinet. The pedal comes with a key to tighten the gears if one wanted to give the pedal more or less traction, which is great since I like to work to push my pedal. It's really good on stage, because the blue light signals if the Wah is on or not, however stomping on the Wah to turn on and off could get annoying for some. Overall, I really like the feel of the pedal. // 9

Sound: The sound of this Wah on distortion gives a really good "Enter Sandman" feel, with the dirty crunch that blends well with the range of the wah. Unfortunately, the Wah doesn't have any tone knobs to adjust the sound, but it's not a big deal because the Wah sounds good the way it is. For clean tones, the Wah gives a good jazz and blues feel. A great addition, but not something you would use every song. The sound also covers up some blunders and mistakes in your guitar playing. The Wah will sound most notes that wouldn't be heard clean or even with distortion. I've been able to play GnR, Metallica, and (obviously) Van Halen with this pedal, and I wouldn't change anything about it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like all stomp pedals, this is well build and (albeit) quite tank. It's metal cased and the only problem I'd ever have with this on stage was when some idiot pulled the A/C jack out. Since the stomp button is done by the pedal itself (like Boss pedals), the stomp pedal is practically prepared for Ozzy to do a jump-kick off it. Again, it's a very strong pedal, weighing about five pounds. The only problem with the pedal itself would be the EVH pad falling off (which is just for decoration, and I haven't super-glued it back on yet). I've played two gigs with this, with no doubt that this would fail me. // 10

Overall Impression: I play most kinds of music, from thrash metal to country, from jazz to a little blues. The Wah isn't meant for all of them, but it certainly expands the range of guitar that I can play. I've played for 4 years and 2 years with this pedal. I plug it into my practice amp at home and typically Marshall stacks or Line 6 amps for gigs. I plug in any guitar, but mainly my Jackson Randy Rhoads model. I would consider trying the Kirk Hammet Wah or the Slash Wah, however, I'd be glad to stick with this EVH for the rest of my career. I love the feel and sound of it, with the only downer being the lack of tone knobs. The only thing that would make it better would be if Eddie came with it!

// 9

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013