GCB-80 High Gain Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 11/16/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: GCB-80 High Gain
The Dunlop GCB-80 High Gain Volume effects pedal has a heavy die-cast housing and is built to be trod upon for as many years as you have in you. One-million cycle potentiometer is quiet, smooth, and designed for extended use. Passive design requires no power input.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.3
 8.6
review (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
GCB-80 High Gain Reviewed by: Mr E, on november 16, 2007

Purchased from: internet

Ease of Use: This is a volume pedal and it's passive, so no batteries. Couldn't be easier to use. If you push your toes down it gets louder, your heel down it gets quieter! Nothing can go wrong with it. I've never looked in the manual, so I can't say what it's like. If you didn't know how to use this pedal, there would be no way you'd know how to play a guitar, so it would be a waste of money. // 10

Sound: I use it with an Epiphone LP Custom, and a Fender Strat into a Fender Princeton (65W) amp. When using other pedals, I always have this last in the chain. With the heel fully down, a small bit of sound still comes through, but I'm sure that's how it was designed. This pedal only changes volume, so I'd imagine it would be just as good(or bad) as the equipment it was being used with. I like using it for sudden volume swells in songs. It's also handy for adjusting the volume from your amp quickly. You can also make a guitar sound a bit like a violin with it! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Made by Jim Dunlop, need I say anymore. Well apparently I must, as it won't let me submit this, as it claims I haven't written in the reliability and durability section. So I'll just make up some stuff to fill up some space. It's built to withstand anything and everything, so I would definitely use it at a gig withouta back up. Hopefully this is enough bull, to let med submit it. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal suits any style of music (surprise, surprise). I bought this pedal to play Animal Bar by the Red Hot Chili Peppers off Stadium Arcadium! This pedal scores highly just because it does exactly what I bought it for, and it's unlikely to break. Having said that, I didn't compare it to any other volume pedals, so there might be better ones out there, but I'm not bothered. Only complaint is I Live in the UK, and it was cheaper for me to import from USA, with import taxes, and I couldn't find it in any local shops. // 10

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013