GCB-95 Cry Baby Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 03/08/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby
Heavy die cast construction for years of reliability, 100K ohm Hot Potz potentiometer that allows for that quick, abrupt wah sound. Powered by the Dunlop ECB-003 AC Adapter and/or 9 volt battery.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 Ease of Use: 9.4
 8.9
 8.7
reviews (29) 89 comments vote for this gear:
GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: madefortvmovie, on september 22, 2005

Ease of Use: The Dunlop Crybaby is the best wah pedal available. It's very simple to use, and require no tweaking or changing. The tone you can produce with it stunning, and the range it presents its very wide. With ease even a beginner can begin to imitate such classic sounds as Jimi Hendrix with the crybaby. The 9V battery that is required is drained very fast, but you can buy the adapter for just a little more. // 10

Sound: The sound quality is amazing. For the price of this pedal, you cant go wrong. The range is astounding, and the pitches this wah puts out is awesome. The versatility of the pedal is boundless, and I can almost gaurantee that youll be able to duplicate almost any of your favorite guitarist's wah! Another interesting bit about the way I use my wah, I sometimes barely have it pushed down, but it gives me an awesome hollow, crunch sound that makes for awesome intros. Similarly, when fully depressed, if you tweak your amp settings, it produces an awesome sound for lead guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This takes a beating. Sinces it's die-cast steel layered on top with rubber, it won't break easily. I've gigged with it plenty of times, and its never given me trouble, even after dropping it several times! The only downside is the power needed: The Crybaby sucks power. If you are gigging with it, make sure you bring extra batteries, otherwise your going to be left without sound after hardly any use. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I could not be happier with my Crybaby. The sound, tones, pitch, and range it puts out top even the highest end models. When I was originally shopping around, I had decided to either buy this or the Vox Multi-Wah pedal (with something like 6 settings). After playing both, the Crybaby clearly outdid the Vox! If my Crybaby was damaged, lost, or stolen, I would buy a new one the same day. Even though I play through fairly mediocre gear, the wah makes my rig sound like a million dollars! This pedal works for practically any style of music, except acoustic. But again, if you are looking for a wah pedal to use with acoustic, I'd suggest you change your mind. I simply love this. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: masterlord, on january 12, 2006

Ease of Use: When I first opened the box I didn't see the manual right away, I don't think I read it, but this pedal is the best thing I ever spent money on. even though it has only one setting it still gives that Hendrix feel to it. the pedal has smooth action when rocking back and forth, has a rugged body (I dropped it the first night I brought it home) the only thing that is missing is an adapter. // 9

Sound: I use this with a custom sort of frankenstein guitar that I built over the years, I put a humbucker in place of the single coil by the bridge. I don't know what model it is because I took parts from broken guitars and stuff. I play this through a Crate amp with a Grunge pedal connected first then the Crybaby next. The sound that I got was unheard of it made my cheap guitar sound like it was on fire for leads, I played Eruption through this setup and got that brown sound during the tapping parts. The stuff I play (mainly blues/rock/metal) goes well with this you can really feel the action as you play when using the pedal. Although this is the best thing that happened to guitarists, some effects cancel the sound of the pedal, it sounds amazing clean, but when I put my Grunge pedal through it it sort of muffled the effect, I had to get an equalizer to make it sound good with distortion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal rocks hard, it is good for gigs and has the strength to with stand most wah pedals, Dunlop makes great things and by far the is the best thing that has come out in the this. When I am doing a gig I rely on this the most, up here in Canada people were amazed by the sound I got out of it. This is pretty cool, eh? // 10

Overall Impression: The style of music I play is based on the blues scale and stuff, I mostly write songs and found out a new style, I think it sounds like metal mixed with blues mixed with classic rock mixed speed metal, I don't want to over do it so I left some things out but this is pedal is amazing with the style I play. I have been playing for over five years and learned that I caught on more quickly than most of my uncles that have been playing 20 years or so. If this were stolen I would search everyhome for it until I get it back and beat up the little punks that stole it. I think I will reach fame and fortune with this pedal, although I use it mainly for leads, this has a unique sound when playing rhythm. All I wish I had right now is a Krank amp and a Dime ML signature guitar. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: nirvallica, on december 19, 2005

Purchased from: Shire Music

Ease of Use: This has got to be one of the easiest wah pedals to use, its just so simple. One line in, one line out a power addapter outlet and a battery case. What could possibly be hard to figure out, it even says on the pedal which side is for which. As for the pedal I got good with the it within half an hour, fairly straight-foward toe down trebble, heel down bass(ier). // 10

Sound: I'm using myn with a upgraded Squire Stratocaster (new bridge, new neck and "hot noiseless" pickups), a Beringher Vintage Tube Overdrive and a Marshall MG15CDR, it can be slightly noisy with toe down and a lot of distortion but no hassels, once you start playing you cant hear feedback anyway and its fun to mess around with while your not playing. It is a very true wah sound that I get out of this, much like one of Slash or Hammett. Also if your good enough one like Vai's but its a bit tricky 'cause your amp setting have to be adjusted and the toe really can't be above half way at anytime and you gotta make it able to change in that small space. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's as concrete wall, you can jump on it and theres no worries, you can kick it round and it wont change the sound. Only one floor is that sometimes the switch is a bit hard to get but no worries if your standing up with a bit of wieght on it. Well I only really "gig" (I play festive songs, classic sing-alongs and sometimes rip a solo or two out just to show off: D) infront of groups of friends and family friends (usually 20-30 people) so if it stuffed up I really wouldnt care although I'm sure it wouldnt and if I was actaully playing gigs I'm sure it would be fine. // 9

Overall Impression: I play basically everything, alternative, indie, rock, hard rock, metal, punk, country rock and soft rock, although I only use it in alt, rock, metal, and sometimes in hard rock. It suits this sound perfectly. I've been playing for about a year and a half, I wish I had've asked "can I try it with a better guitar?" (I got a Squire Bullet Strat). If it were lost or stolen I would either buy it again or buy a 95Q. I compared it with a Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah which I didnt think suited my tone and cost more and I tested it against a Vox Wah which came close but didnt quite "float me boat." Overall it is a fantasic pedal and a recomend it to any 1st time "wah" buyer with a fair bit of experience on guitar. Also its just so fun, the day I bought it I left the shops at 3:30pm got home at 4, plugged it in and I didn't stop playing (apart from to ring my girlfriend for about an hour at 8 and dinner at 9) 'till 3am. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: Johnny Blade, on june 22, 2006

Purchased from: Buzz Music

Ease of Use: It is a wah just put a battery in plug it to your amp and guitar and rock it. It did come with a manual and an MXR catalogue. // 9

Sound: The amp I am using at the moment is a Laney GH50L and 4x12 cabinet. The guitars that I primarily am playing with it are an Epiphone SG Custom (tuned to D) and a Gibson Tony Iommi SG (tuned to C#). It is not noisy at all but the sound sucks. The wah is so weak when you add heavy distortion to the sound. However clean sounds it handles pretty well but because I play Black Sabbath there is gonna be alot of distortion there and this wah can't really handle it. That's why I am going to get a Parachute Wah. It is a remake of the old Tychobrahe Parapedal Wah, it sounds good with lots of distortion behind it. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on it if I had to. It is a very sturdy pedal, as all Dunlop pedals are. I would not use it at a gig though. // 8

Overall Impression: This is not really what I am looking for in a wah pedal. It is a good pedal but just not what I want it for. I have been playing for 6 years now and I have been looking for a good wah tone for ages. I also own a Vox Wah and a Zakk Wylde Wah. The only way to get the wah that I want is to get a Parachute Wah. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't get it again. // 5

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: Slash_HuDsOn, on january 02, 2006

Ease of Use: Uber-easy to use, just plug in patch cords amp-pedal/pedal-guitar and go. A little manual came with it, didn't really need it but it explained the auto-off function. My units hasn't been upgraded, just straight off the shelf. // 10

Sound: I use a Ibanez RX series guitar and a Peavey Backstage plus with this pedal. The pedal doesn't change the volume of the sound at all, not noisy at all. The effects are always mind-blowing no wonder Hendrix used this. Straight outta the box I plugged it in and played Voodoo Child. Simply amazing. Since its a wah its got one effect and it gets a 32 on a 1-10 scale. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is rock solid, all metal no plastic on this beast. The top of the pedal has heavy duty grip-plastic so your feet don't slip, also very study. One small gripe the plastic grips on the bottom came off a little easy but they go back on even easier so not a problem. I would gig (and have) gig with this in a second. Played a school talent show with this and no problems at all. // 9

Overall Impression: I play prog rock, psychadelic and hard rock usually and this is a perfect match. Perfect for all those Jimi solos. I have been playing for 3 years and own an Ibanez RX20L electric, Ibanez dreadnought acoustic lefty and a Peavey Backstage plus 100 watt amp. The only thing I wished I had asked was whether it came with an AC adapter but you don't usually get those with pedals anyways. If this were lost, stolen w/e I would buy this again in a second. I love the awesome wah tone you get out of it. Can't say anything bad about this pedal. And my fav. feature is its simplicity, just plug and play. I compared it to an Ibanez auto-wah just seeing whether I prefer the manual or auto and the Dunlop blew the Ibanez's socks off. Just wish it had an AC adapter is all, 10/10 perfect pedal. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: izzy_dan, on march 20, 2006

Purchased from: Soundhouse

Ease of Use: Operated using a simple rock back and forth motion throughout the playing, which I find myself rocking to the rhythm of the song usually. I found myself using the wah with confidence within half an hour, though I thought I broke it before I realised you have to press your foot foward on the pedal hard until it clicks, in order to turn it on and off. Later I realised that this and all the other setup info was on a startup guide that comes with the pedal. // 9

Sound: I use a Vintage V100 guitar through a Danelectro Fab Distortion pedal, through my Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby and an Alesis Spitfire 15 amp, which isn't that great. The sound created through my Crybaby is legendary, I can sound like many different artists, at the moment Hendrix and Slash, I need to experiment more. The pedal can be used to create more funky or metally sounds, depending on the amount of distortion added to the sound, and whether you connect your guitar through the Crybaby or the distortion first. The sound can also be changed depending on how quickly the pedal is rocked and whether treble (foward) or bass (backward) are used more or less. Awesome sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I only got the pedal today, but I can already tell how sturdy it is, because it's rock hard and chunky like a brick. It weighs a ton as well, and is bigger than I imagined. As for the life of the actual wah sound quality, the box claims it will give years of sound, but I can't really give my own opinion on this. I think I trust the Crybaby's popularity. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal and classic rock, and a bit of bluesy stuff. The wah wah works fine with my style. I love the ease of use and the fantastic sound produced, I could spend a long time just playing around with the different effects and cool sounds you can make with this pedal, along with different levels of tone and distiortion settings on the distortion pedal. If I lost or broke this, or got it stolen or anything, I'd probably go without it for a while to build up my hunger for it, then buy one off eBay for a cheap price. I am very satisfied with this product, it has lived up to my expectations and convinced me that manual wah is better than auto wah, which I've tried before. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: LP Junior, on june 01, 2006

Purchased from: I got it used

Ease of Use: This pedal is really easy to use. There's no EQing, or any buttons to mess around with. It even says: "amplifier" and "instrument" so you know where to connect the amp and your guitar. You turn it on by pushing it hard to the ground and turn it off by pushing it hard to the ground again. Pretty simple. // 10

Sound: I use (and enjoy) a Gibson Les Paul Classic guitar and Laney Pro-Tube amp. This is the only pedal I have connected at the moment and it does change the sound when it's not turned on. It adds a little more warmth, but it tends to make my overdriven sound a little muddy if I don't turn my middle up. But then again, I like lots of mids so that's not a problem for me, but it would be for others. I play a lot of rock-blues, classic rock and some thrash/heavy metal (not nu-metal and power- speed-, doom metal etc) and this pedal gives a good solo wah, but it lags tone at the higher notes. As a wah it'd not very good at high frets, but I think it's really cool because it sounds like a volume pedal and kind of makes my soloing sound, almost, violin like (with slow playing). I think it's a cool "sound feature", but it's not what a wah is supposed to. It also tends to be a little noisy when "pushed to the metal", but that's only a problem if you want to sustain really long. I got mine used pretty cheap and with cables and this pedal has a really good tone for that price. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's solid as a rock. I've never gigged with this pedal, but I would use a backup, 'cus you never know. Some people might say that I'm a heavy guy (190cm, 90kg), but this pedal takes my beating pretty good. It doesn't have one single scratch and I think that's really good for a pedal in that pricerange. Good job Dunlop. Not much to say really. // 10

Overall Impression: Again, I play, blues-rock, classic rock and thrash/heavy metal, and yes, I think it's a good match for soloing. The tone might get a little too screamy for blues rythm, but I don't use it like that. My favorite feature is that it doesn't have any features:) I've been playing for 1-2 years, so I figured that this was a good buy. It wont get stolen, but if it does, I wont have enough cash to get a new one. // 9

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 07, 2006

Purchased from: Kitts Music

Ease of Use: Probably the easiest pedal to use in the world. Just stomp it on and start moving the expression pedal to get all those classic "wah-wah" sounds that this pedal became famous for. There can't be a better-sounding, easy-to-use wah pedal out there as far as I'm concerned. // 10

Sound: This is the classic wah sound that most guitar players look for when they want to nail some of those classic solos that made them want to play guitar in the first place. I use it with humbucking pickups, and a whole bunch of effects placed in front of it, so I don't have too many problems with unwanted feedback. However, if you use amplifier distortion and plug straight into the CryBaby, get ready for some noise. Honestly though, I can get some really great tones with this wah and play some classic riffs with it almost spot on (Voodoo Child anyone). Seriously, if your basic wah sound is what you're looking for, this is it, but if you want to change the settings or get a different range on the sweep, forget about it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable, very durable: nuff said. // 9

Overall Impression: Definitely one of the greatest guitar effects ever invented. Every time you pull this baby out, everybody will actually love to hear it cry. Rock and metal are this baby's parents, so the effect is always welcome to followers of the genres. It's very replacable, and should be if it breaks down on you. However, it's so affordable that I doubt it will be stolen, so it's no wonder that it's "The #1 best selling pedal of all time." On the other hand though, unless you're Kirk Hammett post 1990, you're probably not gonna use it all the time, let alone use it very much over the course of the time that you own it. But just the same, it's always a decent effect to have in your bag of tricks. // 7

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: ZepRules2764, on august 04, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Center - Edina, Minnesota

Ease of Use: It will not let me send this review, every time it pops up and says Please write "Easy of Use". And this is the minimum number of "Easy of Use"s that I can put in here to make it send. Obnoxiously easy to use. If you have the wah in the full forward position and you go to stomp on it to turn it on, sometimes the button doesn't click, so just make sure it's all the way back when you turn it on. If that makes sense. // 10

Sound: My current setup is: Washburn Maverick BT-4 > Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 > Danelectro Fab Distortion D-1 > Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA (greatest pedal ever, I might add) > Behringer GMX-212 (100 watts, has two 50-watt Jensen speakers). Once you work with it for a while you can get a very very sweet tone for leads and soloing. Makes any solo sound good. Also very useful for playing psychedelic effects, try using it with a very prominent delay effect, very trippy. I've noticed that the effect for the most part doesn't work on the lowest 2 strings, so it's pretty worthless if you're trying to use it on some heavy riffs. Also, the effect doesn't really work on maybe about the highest 5 or 6 notes on the highest string. Is this infamous "tone sucking" only when it's on? Because I notice no difference between before I owned it and now when I have it off. When it is on though, yes, your tone is drastically different. In my opinion it only sounds sweet when you're actually rocking it, I still haven't found this "sweet spot" people are talking about if you set it around the middle of it's sweep. It is very noisy when it's on with distortion and a bit noisy when there is no distortion, so turn it off if you're going to stop playing for even a second or you'll get this loud humming/hissing noise depending on what position it's in. I noticed if I put it after my distortion pedals, the wah effect is extremely prominent to a point where you cannot even tell what notes you're playing. Something tells me Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour etc do not have it at after their effects. Put it at the beginning, before all of your effects and it'll still be prominent but your notes will come through clear too, it sounds very professional. With heavy distortion, this thing just rips. Super rich, creamy tone. Good for solos and not much else, but man this thing will make your solos sound incredible. Even just running over blues scales or something. With my Big Muff Pi USA it sounds jawdropping. No wonder the Cry Baby is the best selling pedal of all time. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's built so sturdy if you hit it with a bat you'd probably break the bat. Throw it at a wall and you'll probably break the wall, etc. One time my friend was kicking it across my carpeting and one of the little rubber stopper/gripper/leg dealies came off the bottom and it was a bitch to get back on. So don't slide it on carpet. I've heard the potentiometer only lasts a year or two, so don't be scared if it stops working if you've had it for a while. Of course I'd use it on a gig without a backup. You think I have enough money to buy another one just in case this one dies? // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, it's incredible for solos, trippy effects & the theme to Shaft but nothing else, so you probably won't be using it a lot (whereas I hardly ever play anything without using my Big Muff Pi). This thing can make crappy solos sound great. Great for beginners or pros. I was either going to buy this or a Morley Power Wah and I asked some people and everybody recommended the Dunlop. It doesn't come with an adapter or a battery, and from Radio Shack a 9V adapter is $15. Kind of steep for a plug with a cord, but worth it. I'm in a band and we play some Sonic Youth type of psychedelic/atmospheric/noise jams which this is perfect for. We also do some Black Flag style hardcore punk and some Melvins/Swans style insanely heavy metal jams. The first time I played a wah pedal was when I got this home, I didn't even try it out in the store. I had just heard so much about this that I went out and bought it immediately. At the time Guitar Center were having a sale and a Danelectro effects pedal was free with any wah pedal so I got a $15 Distortion pedal for free with the Cry Baby. Good deal. Overall if you just want a bargain-priced, simple but very effective wah pedal, this is it. Excellent tone, worth the money in my opinion. Get it. // 9

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: AdamDK, on december 27, 2006

Purchased from: Live N' Loud (Local Store)

Ease of Use: This pedal is so easy to use. To turn it on/off, you step down on the pedal for it to click. The pedal has a wide range on it, which I love. I'd reccommend you use an 9v Adaptor or a power bank because the batteries drain very fast. No problems here. The only bad thing is you have to push down quite hard to get it on, and sometimes this can be bad if your relaxed then want to turn it on, and end up missing when you should have turned it on. // 10

Sound: Simply amazing. The sound of this pedal is unbeatable, and is perfect for me. This is such a versatile pedal for it's price, and it has such an amazing quality sound. The distortion can get muddy a bit if you have lots, but most of the time, it'll be fine. I haven't been able to keep off this pedal since getting it, and so will you. When you play with a clean sound, you can get a funky wah out of your sound (think people like John Frusciante). // 10

Reliability & Durability: Not problems here, it's a very reliable pedal. The only thing is, don't play it live with an battery, it drains fast. But other than that, there is no problems with it. If you play live with it, I'd reccommend you have it as the first pedal your guitar plugs into otherwise it may get a bit muddy when you play with distortion. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal fits me perfectly. I play a range of styles from blues to hard rock to metal, and the pedal works for them all. When you're soloing with this thing, you'll never want to let your foot off it. If somebody stole this from me, I'd rip the heart every organ except the heart out of the person so he can cry like a baby, then die watching me play with it. Definately a must buy for any lead guitar player. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: Themitch, on february 26, 2007

Ease of Use: Very straight forward to use, no knobs or switches to turn and twist, just a straight up and down model of a Crybaby, no swell knobs or intensity knobs to worry about, all of this is controlled by your foot. The manual for this doesn't need to explain a whole lot, just about power usage on batteries and AC power as well as care and what-not. Turning the unit on and off is very basic, just push down on the front of the pedal with your foot, to depress a Switch just underneath the toe part of the pedal, which can prove difficult whilst sitting down, but no big deal. // 9

Sound: I run this at the start of a chain including a BD-2 Bluesdriver, a SD-1 Super-Overdrive, a BF-3 Flanger and a FV-500L with a TU-2 attached. If set on it's own there is very little noise, which then makes the Wah much clearer, but run in conjunction with a small Overdrive it becomes a beautiful, clear, pronounced wah, excellent for clas-rock. But you can't really add much else to it as it becomes a tad muddy. The Wah sounds fine through most amps (some are just awful of course) but to truly get the "sound" out of this you need a Stereo amp (which I don't have yet) it gives a much richer sound as well as more the sound I was looking for, I suggest you try this as one of your inspections before buying. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable, built fairly tough, I wouldn't go around throwing it off things, apart form all the delicate electronics inside it (all of you Boss users), it's not a brick, as I wouldn't expect it to be, it can stand up to Live playing, it can stand up to just about any playing situation, though it tends to chew through batteries, which is why I run the AC power on all of my pedals, the only problem with this is that I think you need a Dunlop brand AC power for this, as a generic one seems to wiggle loose very easily, which just requires a tiny adjust, but still slightly irritating. // 8

Overall Impression: I play just about anything, I draw the line at anything I need to drop tune for though. I use this pedal in conjunction with Funk, Jazz (soloing mostly), classic rock, rock etc. I've already mentioned what other gear I'm using it with, it all runs together fairly well, until you just get silly with the effects. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely consider getting another one, or looking into the Vox equivalent, just for something different. This is just the pedal for me, it does it's job, it does it simply, and it does it well, just what I wanted, but as I say, there is always room for improvement in terms of various amp capabilities. // 8

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: Julian_Slash, on march 14, 2007

Ease of Use: It's real easy to use, jsut plug in a rock the pedal back and forth. Slide it forward for treble and back for bass. It's a real basic pedal so there aren't any features such a Q control and stuff you see on newer wah pedals but it works well enough. I didn't really like the sound out of mine, it didn't have much sweep, it could only go real trebley or bassy, there was no in between. imagine haveing two extremes but nothing in between. So I changed the 33k resistor for a 100k one and the 0.01F cap with a 0.068F cap. The first mod gave the wah a more vocal sound, think Vox Clyde McCoy, the second increased the wah range making it a lil more trebley. // 7

Sound: I have an Ibanez GRG270DX, basswood body and a DOD 40 watt amp which I can't seem to identify or get anyone to do so for that matter but it works pretty fine. I can get a Hendrix sound from it and a Slash one too, even a Hammet one which is pretty damn awesome, but then again it's modded so I don't expect you to be able to do the same. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This one would score a perfect 10, it's freakin solid. And you can feel it. I would definitely use one without a backup since it's so well built. It really is heavy. I sometimes use it as a paperweight. You definitely can depend on it yea. And how often do people buy two wah pedals? I would definitely use one without a backup, partially due to insufficient funding and the need to buy other effects! // 10

Overall Impression: I play many styles, anything from Hendrix to Maiden to COB to Oasis and it works for all the styles where the artists use wah pedals. It's surprising what that lil mod can do to your sound! I just wish that it came with true bypass since it does tend to suck your tone imo but yea, I can get the guy at the shop to do it for 40 bucks US. It also drains batteries really fast so I suggest getting a power cable for it. // 8

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: jimi_sean, on march 16, 2007

Ease of Use: I have had this pedal for 6 months now, and I will share everything I have learnt about it. Firstly, you are going to need to buy the 9V power adaptor for this pedal (really should come with it in my opinion), because if you plan to use battereries, well, buy a lot of them. Right, this is an amazing quality pedal with an excellent tonal range if you use it correctly. This is quite important to remember, as it can sound pretty naff in the wrong rig. If you have got it running properly though you will have hours of fun perfecting this pedal as it has a great sound. You press it toe end down to turn it on/off (a very good quality button). It has two jack holes, which are labelled on the non-slip rubber foot pad. It has a 9V-DC input and four non-slip rubber feet. Easy enough to use without the need for a manual, which is why I'm guessing the don't supply one. The only problem you may have is the power cable coming out. A bit of gaffa tape during a gig will keep you safe though. // 10

Sound: What you get out of this pedal depends a lot upon your rig and setup. In big effects loops, the pedal loses quite a lot of it's tonal range unless you place it near the end. I find that this pedal does lose some tonal range under high gain settings if you are getting this gain from a distortion/overdrive pedal, but that's if you like cranking the gain up full (so if you do, you may want to consider a different wah). If you are just plugging this wah into an amp however, gain does not affect the tonal range. On slighly lower gain settings and clean this wah pedal is simply stunning. I use this pedal on quite low end equipment and it makes it sound a hell of a lot better. You can be sure I will always click it on for a solo, just to sound better. When bypassed this pedal is silent, unfortunately the same cannot be said when it is on. The more treble you apply the more hiss you apply also (only apparent when not playing fortunatley). However keeping it held back on bass does shut it up. If you need to sound like some of your favorite wah-ing guitarists, this pedal will do it for you. This pedal really seems to scream Jimi Hendrix. Also, you can get some really cool/stupid/annoying sounds out of it if you put an EQ right next to it (like sucking all the mids out for example). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is sturdy as hell. I'm positive this thing could cause brain damage without taking a scratch. It could be dropped, or even thrown at a concrete floor without denting (Mine hasn't taken a scratch after six months). I have gigged this thing a few times and it hasn't failed me at all. Really no need for a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a Class A wah pedal. It is my favorite pedal and I would not feel complete without it. I play a lot of Guns N' Roses and if I had a Gibson LP and a Marshall stack to go with this I could replace Slash. If you are looking for a simple wah pedal that sounds amazing and gets the job done, this is the one for you. All I can think of that would make this pedal better is if it had some thing to clip the power supply in, and an indicator light to tell you that it's on (even though it's not difficult at all to follow the Status of it, this would just make it look a bit more funky. If this pedal was stolen I would do everything in my power to hunt it down and brick the thief in the head with it; and because of how sturdy it is, I would then go home and have a re-union jam with it. Or if not I would definately buy it again, or maybe buy one of the other Cry Baby models that have adjustable features since I am aquainted with this pedal. // 9

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: darthbuttchin, on april 14, 2007

Ease of Use: When I plugged this wah in and turned it on, I strummed all the strings and instantly got the wah sound I'd grown to know and love. It really is extremely easy to get a good sound out of this pedal, with minimal effort. There isnt a manual that came with it as such. It comes witha couple of leaflet type things that tell you how to use it and give you a suggested set up in the vein of Jimi Hendrix. This wasn't a bad idea though, because it really is extremely simple to get a good sound and to use this pedal. Plug in, rock forward, rock out. Simple. // 10

Sound: I am using a Cruiser by Crafter RG600, Stagg GA-15 amp, a DigiTech Bad Monkey and a Denio CH40 Chorus pedal. It isnt noisy. It adds more to your solos, giving that instantly recognizable sound. The effect always sounds great, although it is best used (in my opinion) in the mid and treble positions of the treadle (I.e halfway forward and all the way forward) as when the treadle is rocked right back, the bass response seems kind of pointless and doesnt't add much as it is so hard to hear. I normally use it at the front of my effects chain, directly after my guitar as I prefer it there, although I do occasionally put it after my Bad Monkey and that boosts the wah sound and makes it sound grittier. Literally, within seconds of turning the wah on, I'd got the sound from the begining of Voodoo Chile and the begining of Mr Brownstone. Then I mucked around with it on Nirvana songs and it did sound good. The Wah sound is consistent and only really weak on the Bass strings. It sounds kind of flat when used on the bass strings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm fairly sure I could rely on it. it's battery hasn't run out yet. The thing is built like a brick sh*thouse, it's really strong. it's made of metal and doesn't slide around at all when I'm using it. It is however extremely heavy, but then it's made to stay put on stage etc so I guess it's got to be. I would definitely gig with this with no backup, because I don't think it's gonna fail on me. I would take a spare battery simply as a precaution though. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues, Grunge and classic rock and I believe that this is a very good match to these styles. Admittedly it's not often used in Grunge music, but then I'm all for making a song your own, so I just add it in anyway. Obviously for blues and classic rock it's a perfect match. I've been playing for about two and a half years now. I own a DigiTech Bad Monkey and Denio CH40 Chorus pedal and they compliment each other perfectly. I'm not really an effects junkie, I just have what I feel is necessary. If this was stolen or lost I would get another one no question. But I would be tempted to hunt the person Who took my first one and beat them over the head with it. This would cause the victim considerable damage, but I doubt anything would happen to the pedal! I love the simplicity of this pedal. It really is a simple Plug and Play exercise. I also love how easy it is to get that classic sound. I don't hate anything about the pedal as such, but I do have a minor gripe. It's too addictive! Once you get it all you wanna do is use it on every song you play. So there is some skill involved on being able to judge whether the song you are playing could benefit from some wah. I didn't compare it with other products, I kne wi wanted this one. I chose it because it is well built, reviews across the internet recommend it and it was the cheapest on there. I think it's fine, although maybe bass response could be sorted out, although this isnt absolutely necessary. // 9

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: cheeseisthebomb, on july 04, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is a classic that has not been upgraded but still sounds great. It is easy to a great sound out of. It's simple, just rock it back and forth with your feet. When you rock the Crybaby foreword it adds treble and when you rock it backwards it adds bass. There is no need for a manual. You can't change the sound with knobs since there arn't any, but the pedal sounds different when you move it fast and when you movie it slow. // 10

Sound: I'm using this with my Epiphone G-310 and you would think that a wah pedal wouldn't go great with one, but it does. This pedal is good for any genre of music. You can get anything from Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix to Kurk Hammet and Dimebag. You might want to be careful when using this pedal with a lot of distortion. Distoriton kills the sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Dunlop makes strong, long lasting pedals. You could throw this thing across the room 50 times and it still wouldn't break. It's also lasted 11 months with me and my freinds so that should tell you that this pedal is really strong and durable. I can always rely on this pedal. No backups needed at a gig or at home. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and blues. A wah pedal is a classic sound for most of the '60s blues players and 70s rock guitarist. This should tell that tis pedal is great for what I play. The Crybaby adds expression and new veiws to your playing. Dunlop has made many Crybabys throughout the years but this one is the best I've played, no questions asked. If it where stolen I'd buy a new one ASAP. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: jimi_sevenfold, on august 06, 2007

Purchased from: www.musicroom.com

Ease of Use: It is so simple to use just like all the other Cry Baby's. Straight out of the box. Plug in the jacks (very easy as it is written on each side of the pedal). There is a manual with it. Basically it just tells you where to put the jacks and the rocking motion needed operate it. There is also a catalogue showing you the different versions of the cry baby e.g. Slash. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a Epiphone SG Special and a 15 watt cougar practise amp. Sometimes the effect is weak but normally if you just pluck the strings a bit harder sounds perfect on whack up the sound on your guitar. I normally tend to play a lot of rage against the Machine so Tom Morello. The first song that made me buy this pedal was the cover of Renegades Of Funk. After a bit of fiddling with the amp settings and with tuning sounded fine. I have not yet used it with any separate effect pedals. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes I can depend on it. The only thing you really need to remember is a spare battery. Or buy one of the AC adapters. I don't think I would need to buy a back up but maybe after a couple of years. But it depends on how heavily used the pedal is. If you use it in 2 songs with a 10 song track list it's not really used. But if 9 of the 10 songs you played used it then it would be a good idea to buy a backup. The Pedal is very well made. Apart from one bit, which is the on the underside. There is a thin sheet of metal which is used to protect the electronics. I'm thinking of replacing it with something a bit stronger. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a bit of rock, metal and funk. So the pedal really funks it up and sounds good playing in dropped d. I've been playing for about 4 year but seriously playing for 2 years. When I started I started on an acoustic guitar which I don't regret I just wish I had got an electric guitar a bit sooner. If there is one question I wish I had asked does it come with a battery. If it was lost/stolen I would probably buy it again if I didn't get this model then I would get a DigiTech pedal. I didn't look at any different models. I think it would have been better if it had a power supply with it. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: Jake-1125, on august 10, 2007

Ease of Use: Very easy to use. Push toe down until you hear a "click" and wah is engaged. Rock pedal to control the range and sweep. Click again to turn off. There's no hassle at all getting a good sound out of this pedal, especially once you become more skilled at controling the wah sound. // 10

Sound: My setup is guitar to Cry Baby, to a synth, to a distortion pedal and then into my amp. This pedal will not color your guitars tone, as some other wahs do, because it has true bypass. When it's on, however, it will change it a little. There's no noise except for a little "click" when it's engaged, and the Effect is strong. Not the Strongest I've ever heard (I think that was a Morley wah). But still great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: After maybe 5 months, I noticed the switch wasn't engaging. I took it back, and the store's solution was to Stick some Velcro pads up inside the pedal part, to make it easier to hit the switch. It still works, but it doesn't turn on as easily as it once did. It requires a little "snap" of your foot, but besides that, It's built like a tank. I've dropped it so many times, and nothing, not even a scratch! Solid metal. The only thing flimsy is the battery door, but that's nothing a little Duct tape can't fix. // 8

Overall Impression: If someone stole this from my house, I'd be really freakin' pissed off, hunt them down, make them give it back, then beat them up for taking it in the first place. The control and quality of this pedal is amazing, making it one of my favorate peices of gear that I own. The only thing I dislike is those Velcro pads. I think it's a fixable problem, but the store people are just lazy, they give me fixes like that alot. All in all, a great buy. // 9

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: WrathOscuro, on september 17, 2007

Ease of Use: This is the simplest wah pedal you can use. Press it all the way down to turn it off or on, stick a 9V battery or adaptor in it, and start rockin. It also comes with 2 Books advertising MXR pedals and several other Dunlop Crybabys, which is interesting. However, in my opinion it's just a little too easy. A lot of pedals these days you can actually tweak them, which I think is a cool feature that is missed in this, but hey, it is the original, so what do you expect? // 8

Sound: For a pedal that only costs $60, it's got pretty decent sound, however there are definitely far better wah pedals out there. For one, it's got a slight buzz when you push the wah forward, on the clean channel, but while Overdrive or distortion is enabled, it reeeally buzzes. As for the sound of the effect itself, it's okay at best. Sounds fine when on the clean channel. It's got a good deal of potential when playing clean. On the other hand, playing with Overdrive or distortion just sounds like crap. The sweep is already pretty thin even when playing clean but it is nearly gone when playing dirty. Not only that, but it will make your tone go straight to hell. There is also no mids to this pedal at all. It's either Treble or Bass. In the middle is pretty much neutral. Like I said above, you also can't tweak anything on this, unless you go get a mod for it. This wah comes as it is. It is a fun pedal to mess around with as long as you're playing clean. Playing with distortion is nothing but a hassle with this thing though. I've seen people say wah pedals aren't designed for distortion, yet Dunlop claims that distortion makes the experience that much better. You decide. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This is pretty durable, though it isn't true bypass, I imagine it's pretty hard to actually beat this thing up. With a pedal covering obviously. Though, this is unlike anything I've seen in my career, because the weight of it will indeed show you. About the bypass feature, if the batteries die on you, your sound doesn't go through it. It would have to be switched off, which is fine for some, but for others it's not. // 8

Overall Impression: I've only tested this pedal on two amps, and on one guitar, but it responds pretty similar as far as I know. The guitar is a Schecter Omen 6 and the amps are a Crate GTX212, and a B-52 AT-212. This is my first wah pedal, but I have heard much better than this before. If you have your heart set on getting this, for the money, by all means go for it. Otherwise, save your money. // 7

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: hippytom, on january 22, 2008

Purchased from: Ebay.co.uk

Ease of Use: Let's face it, it's a wah pedal. You'd have to be pretty simple not to understand that if you press the pedal down, you create a vocal sweep, making your guitar 'wah'. Within minutes, I was incorporating the 'wah' effect into my guitar riffs and solos. I didn't seem to get any sort of manual, though I suppose that's what happens when you buy from ebay. My only issue is how much of a stamp it is to turn the 'wah' effect off. This could not be operated sitting down, unless you have thighs of steel. // 8

Sound: I play a Fender Telecaster through the wah, and into a Marshall MG100HDFX with an MG412 cab. It's a quiet pedal, not really adding any particularly recognisable noise to that already caused. The effects have that hard hitting sweeping 'wah' sound present on so many classic songs, such as 'Brave Tales of Ulysses' by Cream, 'Voodoo Child' by Jimi Hendrix, and almost every solo Slash has ever played. With this pedal, and some guitar playing ability, it is easy to figure out exactly what you have to do to get the classic sounds of guitar legends. When I play with a chorus effect, it does sound as if tone suffers, but not to any major extent. And with a good distortion pedal, you can make an awesome sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is as durable as anything. As long as you have enough power in your 9v battery, this pedal will last a lifetime. When the bomb gets dropped, only these and cockroaches will be left. No backup would be needed for gigs as long as you keep a spare battery just incase. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly blue and classic rock, and this pedal allows me to explore the genres like never before. I've been playing for the best part of three years, and this was my first, and probably only wah pedal I shall ever buy. There is nothing to ask about this pedal, it does what it's meant to do. If it were stolen, I would probably give the Bad Monkey a test run, just to see how well it performs, as apparently it plays better under an arsenal of effects, but I have a feeling I'll always return to the mighty Dunlop. I love it. period. It has one feature, and it does it brilliantly, with a good vocal sweep range. I chose this one over the ever increasing competition because it's a classic everyone has to own at some point in their lives. If anything, I wish it came with extra cables and a modding guide, just in case. But that's me being experimentive. // 9

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: the jnthn prjct, on may 14, 2008

Ease of Use: This is a very straight-forward wah pedal. Just plug it in and go. I had never used a wah wah before and was unsure of how difficult it would be to get a feel for it. Within a few minutes of hooking the CryBaby up, I was playing my favorite Hendrix licks. I was surprised at how natural and smooth the motion of the pedal was. Very fluid. There isn't really a manual for it, but there is a booklet with a few setup suggestions... and operation is easy enough to figure out on your own; I wouldn't have really cared if there was nothing at all in the box besides the pedal itself. Being the least expensive CryBaby that Dunlop makes, I feel that the sound lacks some depth. The actual "wah" effect sounds great, but some of the guitar's deeper tones get lost in the mix. I guess I would have liked for the pedal to have a wider tonal range, instead of such a narrow one that makes it sound a bit thin. Nonetheless, I still love the sound, but it's just not perfect. // 8

Sound: I use a Dean Vendetta and an Ephiphone G400 through my 15watt Crate practice amp. I also have a DigiTech Weapon pedal that is placed before the wah pedal in my setup. When turned on, the pedal does give off some static fuzz, which can either be pleasing or annoying, depending on what you like. It handles heavy distortion well, although it sounds best with a hot-roddish bluesy Overdrive. I can't exactly get that Voodoo Child fatness out of it, although when I use my neck pickup I can get very close to a Burning of the Midnight Lamp tone. I don't have many other effect pedals, so I can't really say how it would handle them. I'd imaging that it would sound great with a nice fuzz distortion, though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a brick. It's heavy, completely metal, and very solid. I definitely believe that it will last quite a while. The mechanisms inside look sturdy and supported, I'm not worried about breaking it at all. I would use it at a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of psychedelic rock and blues, and this pedal gives me some interesting sounds to add to my music. I haven't been playing all that long (about a year), so this is my first wah pedal. I knew exactly what I was paying for when I bought it, and wasn't let down at all. If it was stolen or I lost it, I would beg someone to buy me a new one, seeing as I'm broke. I fell in love with it as soon as I started playing around with it. It feels so natural, and sweet improvisations come easily with it. I chose this pedal over a Vox pedal simply because of Dunlop's reputation, and the price. Again, my only complaint is the fact that it makes your guitar sound a bit thin, but other than that it's a winner. I absolutely would recommend this to someone as their first wah pedal. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: dk13, on june 09, 2008

Price paid: £ 59.95

Purchased from: thomann

Ease of Use: This pedal couldn't be any easier to use, it has no knobs or controls and even tells you which end to plug into the amp and which to plug into your guitar. If I had never played guitar before I would still be able to operate it. The manual is very clear but the pedal is so simple it isn't really needed. // 10

Sound: I use mostly a telecaster with this pedal and I play through a Marshall AVT50X. On a clean channel the pedal oozez quality sounds for a variety of genres however, overdriven, and with the gain turned up high it tends to lag a bit and frankly sounds horrible but I believe that this could be partly due to my amp. A Hendrix sound is easily accomplished as is a Guns N' Roses tone but other tones are a bit tricky with the lack of performance on strong gain. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The battery life of the 9V battery is quite substantial, but very heavy use will drain it quicker than you think. This thing is like a housebrick, solid and basic, in otherwords, foolproof. I've yet to even hear of one of these breaking. I would definately use it without a backup at a gig. // 9

Overall Impression: This pedal is perfect for light rock as it excells at low gain sounds but it handles most sounds okay, but just okay. Personally I think it is much better that say, the equivalent Vox wah and for value for money it beats most pedals. If it were stolen I would definately buy this pedal again. // 8

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: Frankgt2, on january 06, 2009

Purchased from: musicians friend

Ease of Use: This thing is awesome, got a nice handling. If you play pretty high tones you don't get much wah. This pedal won't fail you, just got mine and I can't stop playing it, so addictive. Is kinda annoying when playing a wah pedal for first time, you get the solo you are playing out of rhythm because you must have another rhythm on the pedal but you will get used to it. // 9

Sound: This thing gets the wah wah sound that Jimi had used on his recordings, like Voodoo Child and the wah sound of Kirk Hammett and Slash. It works pretty well in all music genres. As said before, high tones won't get you much wah wah, and works amazing on Overdrive or in clean mode. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on it a 100%. And of course I would use it on a gig without any backup, just with some replacement batteries in case the one that I'm using runs out of power. I also think it would be hard to get it broken because it was made with metal in all angles. People say they stand on the pedal and doesn't get any damage but I won't dare to try it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and hard rock and it suits me perfectly. This is the first and only pedal I have and I don't think of replacing it, if get lost or stolen I get the same. Is at a very, very, very low price for it's quality, you don't have to spend more than a hundred bucks on another wah wah pedal and it maybe won't get the sound that this thing has. Give it a try. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on january 29, 2009

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: Very easy to get Classic Wah sounds out of the GCB-95. Mine didn't come with a manual, but it's fairly straightforward. Step on it to engage, heel down for bass, toe down for treble, step all the way down to bypass it. No controls included on this model. These things drain 9V batteries fast! So I'd invest in a power supply if you plan on gigging with it. I personally use the Visual Sound One Spot system. // 10

Sound: I use this wah with a few Ibanez guitars and a Peavey Windsor. This particular model sounds good with clean or distorted sounds... although it does get a little muddy with distortion. This wah will fit most needs and genres. I play on modifying mine to get it a little less muddy and more vocal. Like I said, it will fit most needs for a wah. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Dunlop wah pedals are built very solid and can take the abuse. The GCB-95 is no exception. I have gigged many times with this thing without a backup. However, like I said above, these things eat through batteries. So bring extras or use a power supply. I'm the second owner of this pedal, and I've used it for a year with no problems to speak of. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal, and the GCB-95 is perfect. I've been playing for a few years now and I've owned quite a few effets. I bought this pedal to replace my Behringer wah that I bought when I first started playing. I wish I would have bought one of the other models that allow for more tone shaping, but having this one will allow me to mod it and gain experience in that area. All in all, I love this pedal and would definitely buy another one if something were to happen to this one. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: toyboxmonster, on march 23, 2009

Ease of Use: The GCB-95 is a Wah-Wah Pedal, and nothing more. Either you're looking for a wah sound or you aren't. If you aren't, then this isn't the pedal to buy. It's as simple as they come: there are no knobs and setting and parameters to deal with. There is a foot pedal and an on/off switch located under the toe. I obtained mine without a manual, but I can't imagine needing much help working this pedal anyways. One slight advantage over other wah-wahs is that the GCB-95 can take an adaptor, reducing reliance on it's flimsy battery door. // 7

Sound: At the moment, I'm using: Fender Jaguar > Boss Super Pitch Shifter > Dunlop Cry Baby > DigiTech Grunge > Boss Space Echo > DigiTech Digiverb > Fender JAM. The sound isn't that noisy, though there is a noticeable increase in noise once the Cry Baby is turnd on. There is also sometimes an audible 'pop' when it is switched on, which can be particularly annoying if you're running heaps of delay and reverb. The sound of the GCB-95 is simple: wah-wah-wah. It has very limited use outside of a rock 'n' roll or blues context, simply because it lacks the sweep to do anything less common. I was incapable of achieving the sweeping, soundscaping sound I was looking for (a sound which I could achieve with the cheap wah on a DigiTech multi-effects processor), as the jump from a bass sound to a treble sound is much too sudden. It does what it's made for, and nothing more. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The GCB-95 looks like a sturdy pedal that should last a while. I obtained mine used through a trade. It was dirty and dusty and had obviously seen a lot of action, but it works alright. One a ggravating feature of this model is that the battery door simply cannot hold. I've heard this about this model, and mine is no exception. An adaptor is strongly recommended. // 7

Overall Impression: I play spacey shoegazing/dream-pop music. The reason I bought a Wah-Wah Pedal is to produce long, ambient sweeps, which this pedal is incapable of. I'm very fond of transparent, high-treble tones and I've found myself using this pedal as an EQ almost every time I play, simply by keeping it in toe-down position. For that reason, it's very useful to me (I never turn it off when I'm playing) and will be a permanent addition to my rig; however, if it were to stop working or be lost, I would probably look into something with more of a sweep. Once again, this pedal gets the job done and works fine if you're playing rock, metal, or blues riffs, but to me, the wah-wah sound of the GCB-95 is useless. // 8

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: osXtiger, on august 13, 2009

Purchased from: Absolute Music

Ease of Use: It's simple to use. Put some weight (with your foot) at the front end, and the wah pedal activates, Rock the treadle back and forth for the wah sound, and put some weight at the front end again to turn it off. The battery compartment is accessable without having to remove screws. But you can remove these screws with your fingers as they also double up as rubber feet. The only way to know it is on is by actually rocking the treadle back and forth to see if it's on or not. An LED would be nice. But you can modify the wah to have one if you absolutely NEED one. It doesn't get much easier than this folks! // 9

Sound: I use this pedal with a Epiphone G-400, a Boss DS-1 and a Peavey Vypyr. Rocking the treadle back and forth "should" get a smooth transition between bass and treble. But you don't I'm afraid. The transition tends to occur about mid-way through the sweep. I highly recommend that if you have already ordered or already have this pedal, that you modify it, there is a wah modification thread already here that you can use. This pedal was my first pedal. Ever. So for about 3-4 months I didn't really hear any kind of problem with it. but eventually the sound got on my nerves. When the treadle is fully down, the treble is a little too much. Again, if you have this pedal. Modify it. It will make it MILES better. // 5

Reliability & Durability: After sorting out the sound with some of the wah modifications out there. This thing is built very solidly. The main body is die-cast metal, and the treadle is die cast metal with a rubber foot grip on it. The only bad thing about the exterior, is the underside. The underside (which when unscrewed exposes the electronics)is made from pretty flimsy metal, you can bend it with one hand, but if you are careful when the cover is off, then you have no need to worry. You do not, however, need to remove the underside to change the battery, as there is a clip on cover for it. I would definitely gig with this without a backup. It is well made, and I can comfortably say that it won't fall apart on me. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock, instrumental rock and a couple of others, and you can't go wrong with a wah pedal. Just modify the darn thing and you will be fine, but in all honesty, you should just get something else, like the slightly more pricey models. If it was stolen, I wouldn't replace it unfortunately, I feel a different wah pedal would suit the sound I'm after more than this. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound too bad. And an audience with no experience with the wide variety of wah pedals will simply hear an awesome effect. I just wish the wah was smoother in the transition and had some kind of an LED to tell me if it's on or not. // 6

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: Swayver, on june 08, 2010

Purchased from: Sweetwater

Ease of Use: Bad thing about this pedal is it will always sound one way. No fine tuning or adjustments can be made to the tone or sweep. Just your main back and forth sweep control and your bypass Switch when depressing the toe of the pedal. Manual is pretty strait forward and simple. Battery instructions and so forth. // 10

Sound: I use this with my Ibanez ARC300 and my Fender GDEC 30. Sounds ok, has a sharp high end and the lows could use a bit more boost, but great for getting that hendrix tone and classic rock. A solid Wah pedal but much better wahs for the price. Needs to have some controls to adjust the tone. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a tank. Not many things to break or fall apart on this pedal. Have dropped it numerous times and it always performs. Very reliable for me so far. No problems in the 2 years I've had it. Have never gigged with this pedal but probably would without hesitating because of its reliability to perform no matter what so far in my 2 years of use. // 9

Overall Impression: I normally use this for classic rock and does the job pretty well. I have been playing for over 6 years and currently my gear is includes: Ibanez ARC300, Fender GDEC30, GCB-95 Crybaby, Boss DS-1, Boss BD-2, Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker, Boss DD-6, and Boss CE-5. Got this for a christmas present so probably would not have been my first choice for a Wah in the same price range. If it were stolen or lost I would probably look for something else with some controls to adjust tone and sweep. I love how simple this pedal is but hate how you can only get one sound out of it. Favorite feature is ease of use. A good beginner Wah if you just want that Classic Wah tone, but eventually you will want more from a Wah with more cababilities. // 7

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: iamflipbaby, on june 28, 2010

Purchased from: Simply Music Huntingdon

Ease of Use: The crybaby couldnt be easier to use. Anybody can use this pedal to recreate the sounds of their favourite tracks as soon as you first step on it! The only problem I have found is getting used to switching it on/off during songs, it takes a little getting used to but not much. // 10

Sound: I have been using it with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Blackstar ht-5 valve amp and it sounds amazing. Its quite hard to get a subtle sound from it tho, its pretty much full on or swithched off so it can be hard to get the sounds of some artists I like, (slash for instance, but I would reccomend his sig pedal for that!) // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not used it for gigs yet, but, its a very heavy tough piece of gear and will last and I wld quite happily take it to gigs with me without the worry of it breaking down mid set. I have only had 1 9v battery in it since I bought and its lasted for a couple of weeks and I still have not had to change it, and it was a battery I took from another pedal so its reliable if you use batterys. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues, rock, metal etc. And its been great for everything I have used it for. If it was ever lost or stolen I would definatly get another 1, because it is just great fun and gives an awesome edge to ure soloing! I love everthing about this pedal, but if there was nething I'd want it would be some control over the subtlety (or lack of!) the effect. Hope this helps. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: twistedsista521, on august 11, 2010

Ease of Use: It is extremely easy to get a good sound because you don't have to tweak it at all (because you cant). The tone you get out of it is the best available in a wah, other than the evh wah. Although the tone is very crisp and smooth with this one. It can't get much easier than clicking on the wah. // 10

Sound: It is never noisy, always sounds smooth and perfect for anything from jimi h. To slash. I run it though a Peavey Vypyr 15, and even makes it sound good. I play it with a pocket metal muff and a Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus top. I tried out many other wahs but this one was so simple to use I had to choose it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is made out of very tough metal. I would gig with this any day of the week, and not be nervous that it would break on me. And it out of all the other wahs was made of some of the toughest materials, so I think it is very nicely made. I would be comfortable taking it on the road. // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything from hendrix to 80s metal. I don't wish it had anything else (thats the reason i bought it). If it were stolen or lost I would definately buy it again. I love the no features thing. I hate nothing about it. My favorite feature is that it has none. Definately buy this pedal, you wont regret it. // 9

GCB-95 Cry Baby Reviewed by: Raptor195, on march 08, 2011

Purchased from: Music Club

Ease of Use: The king of all plug n play pedals, the manual only explains how to connect it, how to install and when to change the battery, and the setting that Hendrix used. It says "connect, activate, and rock on". And it is true. The HOT Potz pot that controls the effect is really good, I havent tried the Fasel inductor versions (classic crybaby, zakk wylde, slash, etc...); but it sounds very good, the pedal travel is really broad so you can control every tone. // 10

Sound: It boosts the different ranges very well, especially the mids, and another good thing is that there is NO NOISE produced by it, no matter how you use it, I dont use a Noise Suppressor although I plan getting one for my Distortion units, but theres no hum from the crybaby. Put the distortion wherever you want to, Overdrive those tubes, and there will not be any noise FROM THE CRYBABY. Slash, Hendrix, Morello, many of my heros tones are on this pedal, personally I wouldnt buy any of the artist versions of the crybaby. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Ive dropped it from really tall heights, accidentally dropped water on it, man, even once it got on the way of my drummer. It is incredibly resistant, no chips or dents. The treadle is very strong also. I love that from Dunlop, those stompboxes are for real life musicians. // 10

Overall Impression: No matter what you play, theres a place for the Crybaby on your pedalboard, on your gear, and on your life. I play rock, blues, indie, punk, jazz... lots of things. And the CGB 95 fits in perfectly. It is durable, reliable... the only thing is that it is heavy, really heavy for a single pedal, but thats what you expect from such a strong rock machine. // 10

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013