GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 11/21/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby Original
The original Cry Baby wah-wah pedal used to create the vintage sounds of rock and roll. Used by such greats as Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and numerous others.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Ease of Use: 9.4
 8.1
 7.2
reviews (26) pictures (4) 46 comments vote for this gear:
GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: tapper12, on october 10, 2005

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Ease of Use: This is probably the easiest pedal I've ever played around with. Within seconds of opening the box I had the thing figured out and was playing with it. There is an included manual, but it's really not necessary (unless you cant figure out which Jack the guitar runs through-in which case, buy a Helmet). // 10

Sound: I use the wah fiarly regularly, usually to add a bit of flair to chops higher up the neck. I find it sounds best up until the ninth fret and then it tends to get a bit crappy. I run it through a Roland Cube amp, and I play an Epiphone Les Paul, and I don't get any noise at all. I've also hooked it up to my Yamaha FGX electric acoustic, and I've found it adds a nice touch to arpeggiated chords if used lightly. It has a very dynamic range, with a wide sweep from low bass to a very warm trebly high, and sounds awesome when swept slowly with a shred part. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is very sturdy and comfortable but I wouldn't recommend pulling a Hendrix and putting all your weight on it. I would trust mine without a backup, it doesn't slide around and it has a good solid weight. Overall, no worries here. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different styles of music, pretty much anything that grabs my atttention, so obviusly this pedal cant apply to everything. However, it does add a lot of flair in most styles, when used in moderation. All you aspiring Kirk Hammets out there have been warned. I've been playing for awhile now, and this is is probably the best effect I've ever heard. Dunlop invented the wah in the first place, so you now its got a good history. If someone ripped me off, I would definetely get a new one, but I'd wait till the boxing day sales again to get it cheap. I had looked at some other wahs before, including a Rocktron one and the Zakk Wylde signature, but for the money, this one sounded (to me) to be the best. I do wish it had come with an adaptor though. Paying an extra 30 bucks for a cable with a plug on it is a bit of a burn. Overall, great product and lots of fun. // 9

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: jono_666, on december 24, 2005

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: Anybody can use this pedal and make it sound good. Works brilliantly for funk, makes solos scream and gives everything a different feel. Guzzles batteries, so well worth investing in an adapter, or the Dunlop DC power brick. Easy to use, just put ur foot down til you hear a click to turn it on, then do the same to turn it off. // 10

Sound: I use this through a Dean Baby Z and a Line 6 Spider II. No noise in the least, but it can actually control feedback, which is cool. When the batteries have gone, you have to turn it off otherwise it makes ur amp sound like crap. My favourite artists are Jimi Hendrix and Kirk Hammett, and you can easily get their sound out of this. Makes a bad solo good and a good solo great! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could drop this little badass off of the Empire State Building, and it would come back for more. It is a really tough little pedal. I would definately gig it without a backup, but I'd make damn sure to put new batteries in beforehand, or just use an adapter. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from Metal to Hard Rock to Punk, and it suits for them all. Great for blues or funk also. Been playing 2 years, it's easy to use tho so amount of experience doesn't matter. If somebody dared to steal this off of me, there would be pain, but if I lost it, I'd buy another, and theyre quite cheap anyway, so its not much of a problem. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: a_taratine, on august 22, 2005

Purchased from: Paul's Boutique

Ease of Use: It does not take mutch to get a great sound out of the crybaby, especially then you combine it with other effects! It's a wah, the further u push down, the more "wah" you get. // 10

Sound: I'm using an LP Studio, an Aria Pro II Inazuma-V and a homebuild Strat. I combine the CryBaby, with DegiTech Grunge, and a Morley Black Gold Volume Boost pedal. Put all of this through a Traynor TRM30. There isn't any more noise coming out of the CryBaby then you would hear on a Hendrix recording (minor tone sucking though). This wah is perfect for me, but some might not be happy with the range. I can get almost any sound out of this wah, alot of Tom Morello stuff, Hendrix, almost anyone who ever use a wah, used the CryBaby. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is a tank, I could depend on it anyday. I would most defenetly use the pedal without a back-up, as long as I had a power supply for it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything and everything, and the crbaby is a perfect match. I wouldt go for any other Dunlop wah, but the original. If you want a fuzz wah, get a wah pedal, and a fuzz pedal, don't get 2 in one. I got the pedal used, but there is a big difference between something old, and something classic. I would never loose any of my gear, but I would defenetly buy another if it was ever stolen. I love the fact that it's build to be absed. I'm almost 200 pounds, the pedal can support me standing on it, jumping on it, and kicking it around on stage. I compared the crybaby to a few Morley wahs, and a modded crybaby, liked this one more out of all the others, I love the simplicity. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: blackguitars, on march 13, 2009

Purchased from: Flash Back Guitars

Ease of Use: It is "easy of use" get a good sound out of it. No editing patches.It is all at ease by manualy doing it. There is a new upgraded unit.I do not know the firmware revision number. The new upgraded unit looks cool to, but I don't like it much. I like old fashion better. // 10

Sound: I am using my bc rich and Fender amp with my footswitch. It can be noisy. There are no settings it is a Wah-Wah Pedal. The effects always sound great. I can get the sounds of my favorite artitist which is Metallica. Certain effects work great with it. And they are very good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable because it is made of metal, clicks with ease, isnt so loud, and has a padding for the foot. I could use it at a gig for hours without a backup. That is it's durability. I mean it has a ton of cool features and sounds great, I mean how much better can it get. // 10

Overall Impression: I play sad and rock and to both it is a good match. I have been playing about 2 years. I own 2 guitars, 1 footswicth, 1 amp, and about a million picks. No there is nothing I would have liked to ask before buying this product. If it were lost I would get something else because I'm sure I would find it again, but if it were stolen I would deffinently geta new one. I love the wah-wah noise it makes, I hate nothing about it, and my favorite feature is that if you hold it up it sounds like a distortoin. I did not compare it to any other products. The reasonwhy I bought it was because it made a sweet sound. I wish it had nothing else, it is good he way it is. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: Bombdizzle, on june 23, 2004

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Well, it is pretty is to use. For my OneSpot daisy chain I have to purchase an adaptor to fit the pedal however. // 8

Sound: I use either an SG or Strat into my pedalboard(s). This wah is very noisy and sucks tone! I never really believed it until I tried it without it. It's at the front of my chain so it ruined it for all the other pedals too. Your signal, even while turned off is being run through all the buffering and is not worth using unless you get it modded for True Bypass. The sounds are ok, but it doesn't have a very vocal sweep, it's hard to hear the sweep. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The adaptor doesn't seem very solid. I've used it in a few gigs and it seems to be built very well however. // 10

Overall Impression: I play really anything, but Pop-Rock and Alt-rock visiting the styles of U2, Radiohead, Mogwai, Jimmy Eat world, and others are what my band is compared to. I've been playing for 6 years and own tons of other equipment. this was my first pedal and i got it 4 years ago. if it were stolen/lost U'd buy a different one. // 4

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: Sink-the-pink, on january 21, 2008

Ease of Use: I got home greatly exited to use my newest peice of equipment, only to find I was lacking a nine volt battery, once I had that sorted I plugged it in and naturaly played the intro to voodoo child. The range of tone is fantastic and so easy to get, often if I just want a very thin sound that I can't obtain from my amp, with this I can just leave it in the "down" position. There are no editing patches on it however as this is was first ever external effect I was aware of this and I only wanted the basics, I didn't desperatly need andything else. The by-pass switch is an exellent addition because it saves me unplugging the pedal, and it stops the normal buzz you would get from a pedal without the switch. It does say in the manual however that you should unplug the cable from the instument socket to save battery life. I have not yet use a firmware rivsion number, and it remain un-upgraded as there is simply no need to upgrade it it is just so good. // 10

Sound: I generaly use either my Gibson SG Standard, or my prs se one with a Line 6 spider 3 75 watt amp. It can only be noisy sometimes if you use crunch style settings but with very little trebble, and very little distortion, the difference to the sound is amazingly strong, even on clean let alone with distortion. Although only if you use almost the full range of wah I.e. "up" to "down". I can easily get the sound of somebody like Hendrix, or Clapton with this pedal, even though Hendrix usually used a srat and I use an sg. I would recomend using low distortion levels at high volume, and high distortion levels at low volumes, corus, phaser, or sometimes even tape echo all work very well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on this for years, durability if not something to wory about I would definatly use this at a gig without a backup, and if I needed a backup for something else this would be it. I have never had a problem with it yet, and I don't think I ever will. If you think battery life is going to be a problem, well your wrong because as long as you unplug the instrument cable from it it last ages (obviously while your not using it). I've had it for over 3 months now and haven't canged the battery once! Or there is a mains adapter available to buy, I'm not sure how much it is but I shouldn't think it's too expensive. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play rock/blues which it greatly suits, I have been playing for over five years now, I own 5 guitars and 1 amp, and this pedal works to near perfection with all of these. I have never regreted buying it, and the only thing I wish I'd asked is "do you know of anywhere I can get a battery." If I lost this or for some reason it broke down (which don't see happening) I wouldn't even consider buying anything else. I love everything about this there is nothing I don't like aboout it. I looked at endless other products and this is cirtainly the best thing I could of bought, exellent value for money I couldn't ask for anything else. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 21, 2008

Purchased from: Music Land

Ease of Use: Regarding sound quality, the crybaby can make your guitar (no matter what guitar) sound great. It's easy to get a good sound out of it and is pretty simple to use, so you hardly need the manual(which isn't hugely clear). By the way, this is the simple Original Crybaby, i.o.w the simplest of the Crybabys. // 10

Sound: At the moment, I am using it with a Gibson-Baldwin LP and Fender Frontman 15G amplifier, that despite the low quality of instrument, I can still get a great sound out of it. Due to this, when I tried it out with my friends Fender stratocaster, I was blown away with the awesome tangy Hendrix-sounding effects. The crybaby will only ever become noisy if the gain is at top or very high setting and used repetetively for ages on end. With a bass tone and about a third gain, the crybaby is at it's best and easiest to get the sound of many great artists e.g. Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton etc. If the sound is slightly weak, it could be a connection error in a lead, guitar jack or amp input. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is the most reliable effects pedal that I have ever purchased and is very dependable. the only problem at a gig I have ever had has been a faulty lead, so a backup saved my part on that one. I have known crybabys to last over 20 years without even the tiniest of faults, and are used in gigs proffesionally throughout the world. // 10

Overall Impression: I find that my mixture of Blues/Jazz/Rock/Metal music taste is well suited with my crybaby and it can adapt to the majority of music tastes and styles. In comparison to other wah/distortion/effects pedals that I have used in the past, the crybaby is definitely my favourite and most reliable. If I somehow lost possesion of my prized crybaby, I would run to the shops and buy it before I even knew how it went missing! My favourite featuire of the crybaby is definitely the sound quality from it, that when played, especially through a Fender, is the best wah (in my opinion) in the world. I could not hate anything about it, and it one of my most used and prized possessions. I think if I had to compare it to another effects pedal, I would have to choose a Morley Wah/Volume pedal, but despite being cheaper than the crybaby, it comes up nowhere near to the crybaby itself. The only thing I wish it had would be a cheaper price tag, but for 79.99, if you can afford it, I would seriously reccomend purchasing an Dunlop Original Crybaby. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: tryhonesty, on october 23, 2009

Price paid: C$ 5

Purchased from: Used

Ease of Use: Since theres no knobs or switches ( accept the on/off control) this is really simple to use. Plug it in, works perfectly. It didn't come with a manual, since it was bought used. Sounds just as you would expect a wah to sound. a change in frequency altering the tone outputted of the Machine. // 9

Sound: I'm using this chained in this order: Ibanez ART 300>Dunlop Crybaby>Boss MT-2>Boss DD-7>Peavey prctace Amp. Amazingly, out of the little amp AND The MT-2, I can gt a great hard rock/metal tone. The crybaby in my opinion could be a bit louder. If it was purchased new it might be. But mine is used, and that might explain the volume issue. Other wise then that you can get a good tone out of it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yea, this pedal has taken some light abuse and stands up to it very well. I have No Doubt this would break at a gig and I'd need to quickly Rush out and get another. And I've never had to make any contact with the company, so I can't say how good they are, or even warranty issues or such. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal. Dream Theater, Metallica( pre 1991) that stuff. I've been playing around 3 years now. I thik itf it was stolen I'd get a Vox wah, I here good things about those too. I really like how easy this thing is to use. No knobs to work with to find the perfect sound, just plug it in and go. I just wish it was a little louder, not a lot, but just a bit. I basicly bought this only because it was 5$, pocket change. I did wish it had one knob though. A Level knob, so you can adjust it to match each song perfectly. // 8

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2004

Ease of Use: This has to be the easiest thing I have ever used other than distortion pedals. You press down the pedal to turn on and play and go crazy. I picked it up the other day and cant stop using it. Only problem which is pretty minor is that the AC adapter slot is behind where you plug the patch cable in but that doesnt cause any problems. // 8

Sound: Right now I am using with it a Epiphone SG G-400 with a Marshall 30DFX and when distortion is on either im using my DigiTech Metal Master of Boss DS-1. The sound is amazing great for styles going from Metallica to Stevie Ray Vaughan. You can reach just about any Wah Wah sound with this beast. It has great lows and almost perfect highs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Other than an the dead battery it came with this thing is solid. It is made out of thick strong metal and probably could take one hell of a beating. If I did gig (which I dont) I would back up anything no matter what. // 8

Overall Impression: Basicly for the price I don't think you could get a better wah wah pedal. It isn't the prettiest looking Wah but it gets the job done and it does it damn good. If it were stolen I would hunt down the person who stole it and if that doesnt work I definetly buy another. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 29, 2004

Purchased from: Guitar Center, Modesto CA

Ease of Use: Now this wah is pretty easy to use, the only control is on the pedal to bypass. It's pretty self explanitory. // 8

Sound: I use my wah with my Epiphone '58 Gothic Flying V and run it through to a MG 30 DFX Marshall amp. It's got really good high end stuff and u could also get some good bottom end as well. It is also really easy to get the Kirk Hammet sound like on Sad But True solo. I usually turn on the distortion from my Marshall and play the wah like that and I can get the exact tone I want. With this pedal, you could do hard rock, metal, to blues solos and licks. This pedal is most important in my setup. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty dependable, made out of die cast iron I think. At guitar center, you could get a warranty on it for two years and twenty extra bucks. Over all pretty dependable and u could take it anywhere. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this wah has great sound, great tone, and very durable. You could get the tone you want with this from music styles of Jimmi Hendrix to Kirk Hammet. I would buy this one again if it were stolen or lost. Hell I might even track down the bastard who stole it and beat his ass and take it back. there is really nothin I hate about this, the squeals and high end u can get with this is amazing. I recommend this to any lead guitarists who play blues, rock, metal. this really brings your solos to life. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: dangerlives, on july 30, 2004

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Ease of Use: This wah sounds good. I use it with a Epi G-310, and a Godin strat type. Very easy to use, forward trble back bass. // 10

Sound: I use it with a Epi G-310, and a Godin strat type. Can most definatly get a Hendrix type, Classic Wah out of the thing and it's built like a tank. Great high end, the low sounds a bit muddy for my taste however. With distortion it gives that classic hard rock thrash type sound, very fun to play with. Clean it sounds cool as well, I love the G. Dead 'Fire on the Mountain' type sounds that it can produce. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is very solidly built and dependable. My biggest problem with it is the adapter plug is right next to the patchcord, and adapter cord seems to always be on the oppisite side of where the outlet is located, so the cord runs under the unit. This has led to the cord coming out on me at a few inoportune moments. I would not gig with out a battery in the unit well as a adapter cord. // 8

Overall Impression: For hard rock to jazz I feel as though this is a very expresive and exelent effect pedal. If lost I would get another, it is very basic and adds a lot of range for low price. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: led_zep_00, on april 28, 2005

Purchased from: Cant Remeber

Ease of Use: I'd have to say this is probably the easiest wah pedal to use out there. It a no-frills pedal with one input one output, which makes it exceptional for a begginer, all the way to a pro (Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy and David Gilmour used a similar model). As soon as it was out of the box I was able to easily play it and for futher clarification I checked my manual. Ease of use is an area where this pedal shines. // 10

Sound: I play the Wah through a Line 6 Spider II 112, and a Gibson SG mostly. It sounds farely decent, but I am experiencing some minor tone-sucking and at high volumes I find it a little fuzzy. Another great use (besides Wah) is using the Wah as a tone control making it somewhat dual-puposed. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had a problem to date but I've only giged it a few times. I would gig it without a backup just because I can't afford another Wah but even so it would probably be all right. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall it's not an amazing one-of-a-kind pedal but still very good. I've been playing for around 2 years and I play lots of classic rock and blues. This pedal fits my styles of music because of its association with the greats I mentioned earlier. If it were stolen I'd probably take a look at some others or just other Crybaby models, but probably not the same one. // 8

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: Dave_Mc, on june 06, 2005

Ease of Use: It's a GCB-95 Jim Dunlop Crybaby wah. No adjustment of any sort is possible. You just turn it on by pushing down at the toe end. This takes a little getting used to, but once you get it it's like second nature. Then you just rock your foot back and forth, or leave the pedal in one position for that Michael Schenker tone. // 10

Sound: It sounds pretty sweet. It gets that Classic Wah sound. However, there are two things wrong with it (in my opinion). 1 - you can hear it being switched on- it gives a "clunk". 2 - it's kinda noisy, unless you use a noise suppressor (I do) you can hear a swoosh most of the time when it's turned on, especially at full treble position. I also think it's not true bypass, and sucks a bit of tone. Still, it's very good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems built like a tank. I haven't gigged with it, so that's not much of a test, but it feels very solid and rugged (and heavy). // 8

Overall Impression: I play it with an Ibanez RG470 through a Marshall AVT100 amp. I really like this pedal, it gives solos a real boost. I would buy it again if it were stolen/broken, although I maybe would look into some of the dearer models that have adjustable knobs (535Q or soemthing like that). Although, the advantage of the gcb is that its really easy to use. // 8

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: Night Revolver, on september 10, 2005

Ease of Use: Straight out of the box, no problems. Plug in and play. It's the 'Original Crybaby'. No bulls--t, just plain wah wah. // 10

Sound: You'd be surprised the sound quality of this thing, at such a low price! You really can't compare the sound to any other wah pedal, because this is the original! The sound? Better than you'd expect. No true bypass? Not a problem. The pedal still sounds great and the low price makes up for it. Ofcourse, upgrading is not out of the question if you are that desperate. Anyway, the wah range on this pedal is spot on, not too high, not too low. The amp gets abit noisy when the pedal is on, and that's about all the problem there is with this pedal. However, if a versatile wah pedal is your style, this might not exactly be your type. The sound is strictly limited to only one wah range. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Metal casing ensures that this pedal will last countless gigs and practises without passing out. The battery lasts hours of use, and ofcourse you can use a 9V mains adapter. It's a rocking tank that doesn't run out of juice! // 10

Overall Impression: No problems so far. But only time will tell how long this wah pedal can last. The beautiful thing about this pedal is the sheer simplicity of it. It's just a metal block with a see-saw on top, and yet it's the most relied on wah pedal, stepped on by some of rock's greatest. Ofcourse, this is Dunlop's entry level wah pedal. It's dirt cheap, but the funcionality is obviously limited. But if you're into simple stuff with no tweaking about with knobs, then you've just met your match. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: oarjammer116, on october 03, 2005

Ease of Use: It was very simple to use. All you do is hold dow the pedal until you hear a click and then it's on. It is pretty much plug-in and play. There wasn't much of a manual being that it's just a pedal with no knobs or anything. // 9

Sound: I have a cheap Squier Strat with a Line 6 Spider II 30 watt amp. It's very crisp and fast. Not a lot of sweeping wah, unless you're really good with a pedal. The sound is always the same you can't decide the tone you want. It sounds just like any wah pedal you've ever heard it is just really inexpensive. I noticed that when I plugged in the memory settings on my amp were erased. But that wasn't a big deal since I don't have many settings saved on the amp. Also when you activate wah the volume goes down. Also, if the wah is activated and you play notes without using the pedal you get feedback. So you have to turn the pedal off when you dont want the wah anymore. Overall, good sound. I like the wah, but the little problems in the above paragraphs bring down the score. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is made of armor! It feels so durable. If you're afraid of wear and tear-don't. This is like the tank of pedals. But the 9v battery drains moderately fast. I reccomend purchasing a power supply. That's what I did. I would definately use at a gig because it's sturdy and the battery won't drain if you turn it off after you're done with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly straight up rock. Like Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc. I have been playing for 2 years and like I said I own a Squier and a Line 6 Spider II 30 watt. I also have two Yamaha acoustics (by the way, I did the review of the FG700S Yamaha). I pretty much got all the info I need from the salesman at Guitar Center, so I knew what to expect. I would probably buy this again if I had the money. I love the sound of the pedal, the perfect wah you get is really what I wanted. I wish it had some tone options, though. Overall, I recommend this to anyone looking for a simple wah pedal. It's sturdy and the sound is awesome. This is a great buy for the price. I would give the overall a 9.5 if I could. // 9

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: broken circle, on december 07, 2005

Purchased from: PMT

Ease of Use: This is the easiest pedal to use. Ever. Seriously, you just plug in and play. If you want to turn the pedal on, you press it all the way down. If you want to turn it off, you press it all the way down. It does come with a menu, but you'd be a tool to have to use it. // 10

Sound: I'm using this with my Epiphone Les Paul Studio through my Marshall AVT-50h + Ashdown 4x12. I do use the wha quite a lot, especially on my original songs. It definetely adds a whole new spectrum, so to speak to my sound. The range of the effect is also rather good, ranging from a very warm thick bass tone to a very trebly one. It sounds pretty much amazing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a brick shit-house. Solid metal casing. I can put all my weight on it and it'll still be fine. I'd use this without backup, easily. I've never had any problems with it at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I use this pedal mostly for my band's stuff, which is a post-hardcore/indie genre and it suits fine. I use to boost solos and such like. I also use it for things like bluesy/funky styles of play, which it suits wonderfully too. I love the tone and how versatile it is. Amazing pedal. If lost I'd instantly buy another one. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on march 25, 2006

Ease of Use: The best thing about it is its sheer simplicity. You step down on it to turn it on, move it up and down to "wah" it, and then step down on it again to turn it off. That's it. The hardest part of the whole thing is getting the cords plugged into either side, and even that's easy! // 10

Sound: This wah has the most incredible sound I've ever heard. It's so good, in fact, that it has been used by some of the greatest guitarists of all time. Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani have all used this pedal, and not to mention in some of their most famous works. So then it has to be good, right? If you're looking for a good wah pedal, then you needn't look any further. The Dunlop Crybaby is one of the best wah pedals your money can buy. I don't care what you play; blues, metal, whatever. This pedal will work. I can guarantee it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I honestly can't recommend a better buy. This pedal is built to last. Though, if you accidentally leave a cable plugged into it when it's not in use, your batteries will probably be dead the next day. I know, and I've been dumb enough to do it before. But as long as you keep it unplugged when not in use, you can definitely make it last for a good couple of months or so. Probably more. I've used it at a couple of gigs, and it works perfectly. As long as you put in a new battery shortly before, you should be good to go for quite a good run. Though remember, kiddies; it's not wise to not bring a backup. But bring an extra battery if you're worried; the pedal itself is incredibly reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: So, in short, this pedal is a monster. Though not the overall best pedal on the entire market, it's no doubt the best wah you'll ever get. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: acytonestd69, on april 24, 2006

Ease of Use: It's not easy but it's not hard. It really is a factor if this is your first wah pedal. I got one used and it is really good for the shape it came in. I found the way to get your own sound rather then a good sound is just clear 3 hours from you schedual. Really it's only 30 minutes but I had homework I didn't want to do. Edit patching isn't that hard for me. I'm not aware of any manuals for this pedal. // 8

Sound: I use Ibanez SZ guitars and Kustom and Fender amplifications. It has a really good tone and expression quality to it. If you leave the pedal on with high amounts of over drive/distortion it can get feed back that is just crappy. I use this pedal moderately conservative. I don't go Slash on the wah, I use it when neccesary. It is a widely used pedal which means you could get about every artist sound, it's all in the method you use. It is more noticable on clean to light distortion and pretty good with delay. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I depend on it as much as I can but I have a spare one just in case. I would gig with a backup, only because I depend to heavily on the FX and expression pedals to get me through a show. If somethong goes wrong I have a back up pedal board to bring in. // 8

Overall Impression: I play hard rock/alternative/powerpop. It is almost a stereotypical match up having a Cry Baby, but I live with it.I've been playing almost 6 years now. I play Ibanez guitars. I wish this had a manual I could refer to. I love it's expression quality. I hate 2 things about it. It occasionally has a stubborn turn on. When ppl call it an effects pedal. it is an expression pedal. My favorite feature is that I own it for such a great price. I didn't compare it to other products, I'm impulsive like that. I chose it cause it was a great deal and it has various artist endorsing it. I wish it could be similar to a Morley in that if you so much as tap it, it activates. // 9

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 02, 2006

Purchased from: Aage.dk

Ease of Use: Let me start off with saying, that the first time I used this pedal, I had it all figured out! The controls are so easy, you just press down the pedal to turn it on/off, and when its on, just press the pedal softly down to get that sweeping wah sound. It works best with a trebly sound, in my opinion, but on a small Fender G-DEC (which is a practice amp), it tends to feedback once in a while. Anyway, great sound. // 9

Sound: As I said I am using it with a Fender G-DEC practice amp. I use a Fender '69 Jaguar and a Gibson Les Paul Special Faded Worn Ebony as guitars, and they both sound terrific with the Cry Baby. I also use a Boss DS-2 distortion pedal with it (which in my opinion, is the distortion pedal), and with distortion the sound is no less than amazing. I play everything from Pantera to Metallica and I can easily get the Enter Sandman sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Are you kidding me? This pedal is like a panzer tank! I could throw it on the floor (though I wouldn't recommend it) without breaking it. I would certainly use it on a gig without a backup (which I also do). The only problem is its weight, which causes me some trouble when I have to wear a Boss DS-2, a Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus, a Baby Powersupply and my guitar in one guitar bag. // 9

Overall Impression: If this were stolen, I'd beat the guy Who stole it, and use the pedal itself as a bat. Thats how hard it is. I just wish it had an easier way to turn it on and off, as sometimes you might not press hard enough, and other times you might press too hard, turning it off in the middle of a solo. Anyways, very good pedal, definately would recommend it, and its this cheap? I mean why? Well people, rock on. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: LesPaulCowboy, on november 14, 2007

Ease of Use: It is super easy to use this pedal. You can easily manipulate it to get the sound you want. It is easy to use, and it is the first one I got, and learned on. I messed with it one evening when I got out of the shower, and I was able to do a lot of stuff. I have yet to master it (then again you can't be the master of something until you are dead). There was a small little manual that came with it to help you get started, and it helped a lot. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with a Les Paul Custom and a Crate FW15R. It never gives you any unwanted to sound, and it always sounds great. I can almost get some of Jimi Hendrix sounds, but I have yet to get really good at using playing the song. There is no distortion that is unwanted. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on it cause it is Die-Cast, and is made of a heavy metal. The only thing you would need to take to a gig is maybe a exttra battery, and that is only if you are not using a power block to distribute power. I would never need a back up. It is that good. Hard to believe isn't it? I would do a all night gig with it, and I know after I get some sleep and wake up the next day I can pickup my guitar, and and play and use my pedal, and it will still work. // 10

Overall Impression: This goes great with my older rock I play. It also goes great with my Les Paul Custom and my Crate FW15R. I looked into other pedal, that were not Dunlop, and I was amazed at the Dunlop pedals. If this one was stolen, I would either get a exact replacement, or a Jimi Hendrix Fuzz pedal. I love this pedal, and it works wonders. Plus it impress people cause they are like "wow how he do that" and all it is, is a Crybaby pedal. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: silverycold, on january 08, 2009

Ease of Use: This wahwah is the best I've tried ever! you won't believe it, it's got a great sound, easy to use, and easy to learn how to make a great sound. Crybaby really knows what they're doing here, I've tried a couple other cheaper wahwahs and they aren't nearly as good and sturdy as this. This wahwah is definatley the one to get. other signature models by crybaby are also very good including hendrix signature and evh signature. the manual for the wahwah is easy to read and understand. It even gives you a good setup if you own a distortion pedal, for the maximum sound. Guitar, distortion, wahwah, amp. I think even without a distortion pedal it sounds pretty damn good! // 10

Sound: Okay so my setup is a Epiphone sg(possible one of the very best made, as it feels and plays like a real Gibson one)and then a Fender frontman amp, and the wahwah in between, I use regular patch cords. it sounds great and if you have a distortion pedal definatley put that before the wahwah for maximum pedal sound. The only problem is the high screach on certain notes at diferent degrees of the pedal, but it really gives it an authentic feel. the only sound you hear is the click of on and off. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Definatley very sturdy, and reliable. If it broke(it wouldnt) I wouldn't need it that much. but it does really give some good sound! I don't like other sounds except for crybabys. so I wouldn't bring a backup unless it was for a diferent sound. but this thing would hold up. It's got really good battery life but for a gig always bring a 9 volt or 2. // 10

Overall Impression: Definatley a buy again, and with diferent signature models by them I would trust them, I compared it to other similar pedals and cheeper versions. This was definatley the one to get! No regrets on this buy! I wish it had some knobs for how deep the range can go. because at times it seems like it's a little shallow for a wahwah. but it is the original and there is a more expensive one with knobs. But I play pretty much all styles of music(blues, alternative, metal, hard rock, rock, ) and it fits pretty good with all of them.(obviously it fits with blues perfectly. Nothing I regret on this buy. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: Caramello Ruell, on january 08, 2009

Ease of Use: The crybaby shines in it's ease of use. Step on it and hear the click and you have yourself a great wah tone. Step on it again and hear the click and it is turned off. Simple, a monkey could work this out. No manual needed, battery compartment is udnerneath the pedal so it's not tricky at all, but I prefer to use an adapter as it is more reliable. // 10

Sound: I use a Randall RG75DG3 Combo Mosfet system amp, A Zoom G1 multi-effect processor and with my Squier stratocaster and they all sound great together. the sound is very mellow, althought when full pushed down I tend to get quite a bit of feedback. A nice trick is to play a short lick over and over fast while slow pushing the pedal down. SOUNDS GREAT! Another nice trick is to leave the pedal on about half-way down and just leave it there to add some warmth to your tone. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Unforunately I think I got unlucky. I worked fine for the first day no problems, but on the second day of having it I noticed that it would not turn off when I clicked it, in fact I put ALL my weight on it and it still would not click off. When I managed to finally click it off it turned on too easy. I figured I have a broken Switch which is a real dissapointment since I hear these last quite a while but mine lasted one day. I am assuming I'm very unlucky but it was still a great dissapointment. For this reason I would NOT gig without a backup. // 2

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic/modern rock, blues and jazz. This pedal definitely without-a-doubt suits it, and many other genres as well. I have been playing guitar for about a year now, and instruments in general for 10 years and this met my high expectations in sound, but not in durability. Despite my unluckiness I would buy another purely beause it IS the best sound wah pedal out there but maybe I would do a bit of research into it's durability. The sound is pure bliss and I am confident all will agree with me, as is it simplicity. The only two things that detract from it is the fact that it broke after 1 day and an on/off led would have made life easier. // 7

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: belavista man, on august 06, 2010

Purchased from: A Friend

Ease of Use: It's fairly easy to use, although I've used easier. It takes a little time to get the hang of using it though. Using it tastefully is an ART that can't be learnt overnight. When I recieved it, there was no box or manual - it was third hand, in effect. It is easy to set up too, just plug in and play, what could be easier? // 8

Sound: The sound is always pretty fun with a Wha. Sadly though on the top end of the Wha's range, there seems to be some clear unwanted noise. It sounds really fuzzy, like the sound you get from a plastic bag. Still, when it's behind a full band, you barely notice it. You can really get a good lead sound like Slash or Hendrix if you really work at it. Like I said, it's not easy to use at first. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's fairly hardy, built like a brick. The entire thing's near 100% block-metal, so it's not going to break anytime soon. I wouldn't recomend using it in a loop on a laminate floor, however. The pedal has a tendancy to slide/move when in use, so it could come loose from other pedals. It's happened to me before now, and it's just plain embarrasing. // 7

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music, from soul to reggae, rock to pop... I play in a band where we do Knock On Wood (which I use it briefly in) and Sweet Shild O' Mine (where I use it on the outro solo), and the Wha holds up perfectly to them, among others. If this were stolen? I'd get one again, but maybe a multi-effects unit instead - though having never had one before, I don't know whether it would be better or not - I'm sure it wouldn't be as tough though. // 8

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: Goldtop11, on july 12, 2011

Ease of Use: This pedal is dead simple. Plug it in, click the toe down, and move the pedal back and forth. That's is. The battery hatch is easy to open and replace the battery. The manual really doesn't help much, since there is nothing to adjust. // 10

Sound: I mainly use a custom guitar with humbuckers and this pedal responds very well to it. This is a great first Wah to play with for a few years to get the feel of using the wah. I personally played this for a year or so until it broke. I got a Crybaby 535Q Wah and then realized what this one had been missing. I find that this Wah gets a too trebly with the toe down. I acually had many people at gigs complain that the sound was too shrill when I put the toe down. There are many better wahs out there, but the crybaby just has a classic tone that others can't get. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is where I had problems. As I mentioned in the sound section, this pedal acually completly broke. After about a year of using the pedal, somehow the Switch recessed into itself. It was very odd, because the toe of the pedal would no longer reach it, making it pretty useless live because I would have to bend down, reach under the toe and click the switch. Then the Switch died all together and the Wah was stuck on with no way to Switch it off. I called Dunlop and they said they would send a Switch out, but never did. This pedal suprised me because it was built like a tank, but only lasted a year. I have a $20 plastic Danelectro pedal that has lasted about 6 years, so surely the Crybaby should've lasted longer. // 2

Overall Impression: This is a good first Wah pedal. It's tons of fun to use and sounds pretty decent for the price. If you can afford it, get one of the nicer Crybabies. But if not, there's nothing wrong with the sound of this one other then being a quite trebly. I'm not sure if my Switch problem is common, but if you really wanted to fix it, it wouldn't be that hard to replace the switch. I just feel that it shouldn't have broke as soon as it did. // 6

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: damienvox, on november 14, 2012

Purchased from: american musical supply

Ease of Use: I was upset when I couldn't daisy chain it but it wasn't a big deal and it is as simple as turn on and rock out. The Wah works great but I give it a 9 since you can't daisy chain it. // 9

Sound: My Damien Elite and Vt120+ sing cry wail and when I want them to thanks to this Wah. You might be thinking here isn't any knobs how do I adjust it to my tone but that's beauty of this pedal you don't adjust it to your tone it adjusts to your by itself. The picking nuances and amount you rock it back and forth are your tone knobs simplistic yet amazing. Trust me it deserves more then a 10. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Tankity tank tank right here it weighs a lot for a pedal its size and is made from solid zinc right here in the usma I haved gigged with it alot and never once has it let me down this thing will probaly outlast the rest of my rig. 10 hands down best little investment you will make. // 10

Overall Impression: I play melodic and Gothic metal along with blues and classic rock so I needed a Wah that could really fit. I already owned the Demon Wah from Ibanez via a friends suggestion and although my metal behind was good everything else was a lack luster and it cost more then this Wah. I have played lead guitar for five years and have played for three years on and off before that and I use a lot of Schecter and PRS and this pedal drives them all great better. I do wish I asked if it could daisy chain or not first but that doesn't take away from how good it is and I will probably finally get a pedal board soon anyways. I love the durability and tone my guitar has never sounded so good if gets stolen or lost I will go straight back to ams and order another. So when comparing this to an Ibanez or a Vox Wah I found this by far superior in every way. // 10

GCB-95 Cry Baby Original Reviewed by: gabipe15, on november 21, 2012

Purchased from: Local Store

Ease of Use: Very easy to use pedal! Just step on it, push to click it and turn the effect on and rock on! It's a straightforward pedal, pushing it down makes higher frequencies higher, and pushing it down, makes lower frequencies higher, it's like shaping a parametric EQ, if you ever saw one, like if you were passing a sea wave through it. The manual doesn't add anything you already knew, it's not difficult to imagine what to do with this come on! Mine is brand new, with no upgrades, just plain GCB95 made in USA. // 9

Sound: I'm using this directly from either my Fender Stratocaster MIM, or my Epiphone SG G400 Faded, to Ibanez TS9, Proco RAT2, with Boss FL-3, DD-7, CH-1 on the effects loop of my Blackstar HT-5RH. Also use it with the tubescreamer only to my Vox AC4TV combo amp. Sounds amazing through both of them. Just sometimes has that f***ng radio noise because of freq filtering and my apartment openings catching those radio stations, but it is well known that this can happen and if you want, just upgrade it to call it off. You can get instantly sounds of every Classic Wah sound you heard of, millions of artists use it. Would've liked the radio problem being fixed from the beginning, but at least they tell you. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'd depend on it 100 percent. It's heavy as a rock solid where you look it not a single sign of flaws. I'd use it on a gig without a backup for sure, don't see it breaking anytime. It's all metal built, good jacks, battery functioning if you like to, although I always recommend using some sort of power unit. You never know how long your batteries will last, and it's a pain in the ass changing them, especially if you're live, don't know what I'd do in such a case, people would start throwing their shoes at me if my Wah dies for battery dying. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly Heavy blues, and metal, through some classic rock. It's great for any of those styles. Tried some funk, kick a-s Wah! I've been playing for around 13 years now and this is an essential part of my rig. I own 535Q too, and lots of stompboxes too. If it were stolen I'd chase to death the one who stole it and take it back, or just buy a new one. It's not that expensive. I love everything about it, its a straightforward must have. Compared it to the 535Q, and I think this is easier, just get this, and then see if you want more. Then think about any other Wah. // 9

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013