GCB-95F Cry Baby Classic Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 07/07/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: GCB-95F Cry Baby Classic
Your Crybaby Classic with Fasel Inside will faithfully recreate the vocal sweep and lush harmonics from those timeless recordings.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 8.7
 8.4
 8.9
 7.8
reviews (7) 54 comments vote for this gear:
GCB-95F Cry Baby Classic Reviewed by: ^Slash^, on november 10, 2006

Ease of Use: The Classic Crybaby comes with a fazzel inductor which in my opinion has a nice warm/bright tone. It's pretty basic to use, you push down to turn it on and you move the pedal up and down, and push it down to turn it off. The manual tells you things like how to get a heavy tone, a very treble like sound or a very bassy fuzzy sound. So it's fairly educational if you have no idea what you're doing. It's only a small little booklet that tells you 4 points. But I had no idea what I was doing and read the manual and it told what I had to do. // 9

Sound: I use a Crate GT212, and a MRW Les Paul copy guitar. It only makes a bee in a can sound on low volume when the gain is high, but one you put the vlume up there is no more bussing sound. The effects of the pedal are really strong, there is no note where you can't hear the pedal. My idol is Slash and I can get a pretty close sound that he has. Same goes to Hendrix. I think distortion and the clean channel's work wonders. But you get such a clearer sound from it on the clean channel. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The wah has never broke on me. And I can depend on it 100%. I've dropped it a couple times and it hasn't broke on me yet, and I don't want it to. It's pretty damn sturdy in it's black die cast body. I would definetly go out and gig with this without a backup, I just can't see why it would breakdown on me if it were ever to. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a range of music from blues, hard/classic rock, and metal or heavy metal. I've been playing about 9 months now. And I own just a Crate GT212 and my MRW Les Paul copy. There is nothing I had wished about asking. I asked all teh questions I had to before I baught it. If it were stolen I would definetly buy another or try and find Who ever took it. I love the classic sound it has it has a "brigher" tone than the original cry baby. I compared The Classic Cry baby to Dunlops Original, and the Vox Wah pedal, and I liked this one the best out of the 3. // 10

GCB-95F Cry Baby Classic Reviewed by: All_A_Reject, on july 02, 2007

Purchased from: Long And McQuade

Ease of Use: The great thing about this pedal is it's simple, just plug in and rock your foot when your ready to roll. I have used the Boss v wah, and Vox wahs. but this one works the best I've found. Live studio, and just fooling around. Perfect for The Jimmy Page players. or original songs, very simple and even thought it's not complex like the Boss v-wah, you shouldn't be fooling around on stage, step forward to turn it on, and back to cool it off. // 10

Sound: I play a Gibson Les Paul Standard, Fender Telecaster (59') and use a Vox Valvetronix 100 watt, and a Vox Ac30. It doesn't really sound that great through these. I get a lot of noise after I stop playing for a rest. However Through my Orange thunderbird 100 watt. this thing is gods gift. the wah comes through and goes so eirie that your neighbors will complain. I play a lot of Zeppelin. and for when we decide to do a set and play Zeppelin one along with our originals. this thing does everything I want. the shoebox effect on Communication Breakdown, the screech of Dazed and Confused, to the intro of How Many More Times. I love this amp, it does me as well as Jimmy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can fully depend on this thing Live, however just like you have a extra guitar with you (in case a string breaks) I have another one just incase the battery goes, or worse it breaks. which I don't know why it would, but I can't take chances with stage performances. My band has just completed a tour of california, washinton arizona utah, and alberta, back through to my home in vancouver. I didn't change the battery once lol it was amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues, hard rock, metal, acoustic, jazz, swing, and Zeppelin (a class of their own R.I.P John Bonham) I have been playing since I was 5, I'm 17 now. adn I own a Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty, Line 6 150 watt spider three. two stratocasters, Gibson SG, Yamaha 12 string. Marshall 1959-SLP. With two cabs 4x12 (Mesa). needless to say I'm in this for the long run lol. If I had anything to ask the guy it wouldve been if I could get another set of strings for the Yamaha. And if someone stole it I would plug in the other one, and then go kick the guys ass. And shove the Boss V-wah where the sun don't Shine. Other then that I love it it cranks through the Orange which is my Live amp along with the Marshall. My rhythm guitarist uses a danlectro wah which he's now banned from using. It sucks. And I only wish it had maybe a few different types of wah, but I take care of that with my effects board. Anyways hope this helps enjoy. // 10

GCB-95F Cry Baby Classic Reviewed by: Randyrocks123, on march 29, 2008

Ease of Use: It's not hard to use and sounds good where ever you put it in your setup. I use it in front of a DigiTech Bad Monkey and get great sound out of it. The action of the pedal is not super hard to use but can be hard if your not use to using a wah. Mine can with a cream on the joint of the wah for easier use but I don't know what it's called. // 8

Sound: The wah is a little noisy but it's not to bad. Also I don't know if it's just me nut when I use it on a high gain channel it picks up a radio signal. The effects on it sound est with a 9-volt adapter but it sounds good with a new battery. if you like Hendrix songs this wah work pretty good and is very close to his wah sound. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can definently depend on it because it is super heavy and is made out of metal so if I was to drop it or anything like that it would do no damage to it. I would use it at a gig without a back up because of the reasons I just said. It is also very heavy so if I was using a pedal board, it would stay on it no problem at all. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from Hendrix to Ozzy so this suits my style of music very well. I've been playing 2 1/2 years so I know what is good and is not pretty well. If I broke or lost this I would definitly buy it again because it think it sounds great. I chose this pedal simply because it had the name classic in it but it was a good choice. // 7

GCB-95F Cry Baby Classic Reviewed by: thebettyfier, on april 11, 2008

Purchased from: Music Land

Ease of Use: Regarding sound quality, the crybaby can make your guitar (no matter what guitar) sound great. It's easy to get a good sound out of it and is pretty simple to use, so you hardly need the manual(which isn't hugely clear). By the way, this is the simple Original Crybaby, IOW the simplest of the crybabys. // 10

Sound: At the moment, I am using it with a Gibson-Baldwin LP and Fender Frontman 15G amplifier, that despite the low quality of instrument, I can still get a great sound out of it. Due to this, when I tried it out with my friends Fender stratocaster, I was blown away with the awesome tangy Hendrix-sounding effects. The crybaby will only ever become noisy if the gain is at top or very high setting and used repetetively for ages on end. With a bass tone and about a third gain, the crybaby is at it's best and is easiest to get the sound of many great artists e.g. Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton etc. If the sound is slightly weak, it could be a connection error in a lead, guitar jack or amp input. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is the most reliable effects pedal that I have ever purchased and is very dependable. The only problem at a gig I have ever had has been a faulty lead, so a backup saved my part on that one. I have known crybabys to last over 20 years without even the tiniest of faults, and are used in gigs professionally throughout the world. // 10

Overall Impression: I find that my mixture of Blues/Jazz/Rock/Metal music taste is well suited with my crybaby and it can adapt to the majority of music tastes and styles. In comparison to other wah/distortion/effects pedals that I have used in the past, the crybaby is definitely my favourite and most reliable. If I somehow lost possession of my prized crybaby, I would run to the shops and buy it before I even knew how it went missing! My favourite feature of the crybaby is definitely the sound quality from it, that when played, especially through a Fender, is the best wah (in my opinion) in the world. I could not hate anything about it, and it one of my most used and prized possessions. I think if I had to compare it to another effects pedal, I would have to choose a Morley Wah/Volume pedal, but despite being cheaper than the crybaby, it comes up nowhere near to the crybaby itself. The only thing I wish it had would be a cheaper price tag, but for the price I bought it, if you can afford it, I would seriously recommend purchasing an Dunlop Original Crybaby. // 10

GCB-95F Cry Baby Classic Reviewed by: indoninja, on november 17, 2008

Ease of Use: It's so easy to get that classic sound in funk and rock that you always hear. At first I wasn't so sure about manually rocking it, but you get used to it almost immediately, it's just like tapping your foot. You'll Pick it up in a breeze with almost no learning curve. The manual was straight forward, there wasn't really much to say. Put your toe down and you get a treble boost, put your heel down and you get a bass boost, put 'em together and you get a "wah". // 9

Sound: I have an Epiphone SG and a Roland Cube, and sounds good with all of my built-in effects on the amp. The wah will sound very bad at high distortion, so if you're always going to be playing metal, go for the Zack Wilde signature or something of the like. I can only describe the sound one way on clean, liquid. It's just great. It's adds flavor to any riff and will sound good on some low distortion. If you leave in the "toe" position you'll get supercharged distortion and on the "heel" position you get a weird synth-like sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: At first I was cautious of using it but pretty soon you'll be walking all over it, it just can't break. There's some goo inside, I guess it's lube for the action, but it'll get hair and shit stuck in there, just don't touch that. There's not much else to say, it's made of goddamn metal, you can't break throwing out a ten story building =P (maybe exaggerating, don't try) // 10

Overall Impression: It sounds great for clean and distortion up to about "7." I like to whip it out for solos, add flavor to riffs, even make some ambient sounds. I'd definitely buy it again, it's a little pricey, but that's what it's worth. This is the only pedal you actually need. I suggest getting an adapter with it, you'll go through nine-volts pretty quickly. You can get an adapter for One-Spot for about 20 bucks, that's the one that I use. It's durable and will stand up to anything, just don't go too crazy with your gain. // 10

GCB-95F Cry Baby Classic Reviewed by: patbuck2, on march 04, 2011

Ease of Use: The Dunlop Classic Crybaby Wah pedal is a pretty simple to use and understand pedal. There are no knobs. You just step on the pedal with your foot to turn it on and off and depress it to adjust the tone. Up is bassy and down is trebley. Rocking it back and forth makes the "wah" sound. That is how a Wah pedal usually works. This pedal has one sound out of the box, so I can't imagine it's necessarily too difficult to get a sound out of it: just that one sound. // 5

Sound: Back when I had this pedal, I was using it with my only electric guitar, a Johnson Catalyst. I used it with two different amps over its use: a Line 6 Spider III 75w and a Fender Frontman 10g. Both of which were horrible amps. As far as the sound of this pedal, it is shrill-sounding. That is a word I see many people throw around on this site regarding Crybabys, and this one is no different. It is an absolute tone-sucker. It isn't weak in that regard, it's extremely present, and boy does it hurt my ears. Okay, maybe I'm a bit harsh. This pedal is a tad better than the standard Crybabys that Dunlop produces. You can do worse. I am just personally not a big fan of the Crybaby sound. Some people enjoy them, and some of the models aren't that bad. I just personally don't care for them very much and prefer a less shrill-sounding wah. Then again, I was using it with crap amplifiers at the time, too. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It worked fine for the 6 or so months that I owned it for. It didn't break. It didn't suck up batteries. I never changed the battery on it in that time period. Not once. So it's good in that respect. It isn't built like a tank, though. I just take special care of all of my possessions, especially my guitar gear. I don't toss them around and leave them to be stepped on or damaged. So it makes sense that it wouldn't die out on me. // 7

Overall Impression: I bought this pedal because I just wanted a cheap Wah pedal. I didn't really know much about tone. I thought Wah was wah. I was wrong. It served its purpose for the time that I had it and it held out just fine in that time period. At the time I bought it, I was playing a lot of heavy metal. Nowadays I play a lot of classic rock and I like much less gain, so it's a totally different ball game. I would like to try one out again and compare it to some other wahs, but I don't really have that kind of time or opportunity. It may actually be decent for Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton style Wah of the early 70's. I've been playing for 3 years now. I've gone through 3 different Wah pedals and 3 different amps in my time. Still the same 2 guitars. What I like about it is that it held up fine for when I had it and it served its purpose. What I don't like is how shrill-sounding these Crybaby wahs and this model in particular are. In comparison to my Ibanez WH10 v2, this thing sounds terrible. In comparison to the other Crybaby I had, this one was still pretty bad. Don't buy this one kids. Not unless you get it for less than $50 or something. It's not worth your money. You can get better wahs for less than the price of these things new. // 5

GCB-95F Cry Baby Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 07, 2011

Price paid: € 115

Purchased from: Music Max

Ease of Use: Using and installing the crybaby is very easy. All you need are input and output cables, for charging the effect you can use a)V battery and/or an adapter, which comes with with the effect or you need to buy it separately. Once the cables are plugged in and the effect is charged you can start using it. Using the effect is alse very simple - all you need to do is fully press the pedal down (to turn it on or to turn it off). At first it's easier to use the effect with bare feet, but when you once figure it out shoes don't matter. // 10

Sound: I use the Wah with the Vox VT20 amp, at some point I also used the Boss distortion pedal. Sound is just amazing, especially with clean mods. I tried to imitate artists such as Vernon Reid, Santana, Jimmy Page, Robben Ford, Joe Walsh... The effect did hell of a job helping me imitate those great artists. Creating a breathtaking sound with that Wah is almost effortless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: At first I was using the 9V battery and the whole thing lasted Around two months. With the adapter the durability is limitless, the only danger is that the adapter will burn up. I believe the effect is very reliable so it could also be used on a gig. I've got it for about a year now and I haven't encountered any problems so far. // 9

Overall Impression: I used the effect for genres such as: Blues, Rockabilly, Jazz, Heavy metal, and I was never disappointed with it's performance. I've been playing with the effect for about a year now and I'm still impressed how well it still works. As I said it's a good ting to have an adapter so you don't have to worry about any problems with charging. For the price this is one of the best products IMO. // 9

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013