JD-4S Rotovibe Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 01/04/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: JD-4S Rotovibe
The Rotovibe foot pedal is an electronic rotating speaker simulator allowing you to recreate the background sounds popularized by many artists including Jimi Hendrix. Enhancements include: a redesigned quiet switching system utilizing highly reliable hardware for extended life.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.9
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
JD-4S Rotovibe Reviewed by: noah22791, on july 29, 2006

Purchased from: www.Zzounds.com

Ease of Use: This pedal takes a little bit of practicing to get used to, but once you get it down, its awesome. The expression part of the pedal (the part you rest your foot on) controls the speed of either the chorus or vibrato mode, depending on what you selected. The knob at the right hand side controls the intensity of the effect. The manual that comes with it is pretty clear and concise. // 8

Sound: I am using this pedal along with my Marshall amp and my Stratocaster. I also sometimes use it along with a Dunlop Wah and a Boss DS-2 Distortion pedal. This pedal sounds great on both chorus and vibrato modes. This pedal sounds like a phaser if anything, not like a chorus or vibrato pedal. Some songs that sound great with this unit are "Breathe In The Air" by Pink Floyd with the chorus effect. Little Wing also sounds good in the chorus mode. "Lenny" by Stevie Ray Vaughan also sounds good with a little bit of vibrato. There is very little backround noise coming from this unit, and I use it along side with 3 or 4 effect pedals. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Dunlop is usually very reliable. I haven't had a problem with this yet, and I haven't had a problem with my Dunlop Wah. I would use it without a backup. Very dependable to me, as all Dunlop units are. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this pedal is great for modulation. It gives a phaser effect that you have a lot of control of, with speed and intensity. The chorus and Vibrato is also good, because it is like two effects in one pedal, which gives the unit more value. Great for rock, jazz, metal, you name it. If you aren't interested in other phasers or modulation pedals on the market, go for this one. I would buy another one if it was lost or stolen, even though it is $150, it is worth it. // 9

JD-4S Rotovibe Reviewed by: landloader, on january 04, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is very very easy to use. I had to order it through guitar center because they don't carry it in stock any more, so it arrived fresh in box and with all the information. I didn't bother reading the manual, that's how easy it is to set this thing up. A button to pick whether you want to have a swooping (chorus) or pitch shifting (vibrato) sound. A knob to set the intensity. A pedal to set the speed. simple stuff. // 10

Sound: I have several guitars that I run through it, and they all sound great, including the new Washburn Cumberland Acoustic that I just got. I run it through a Vox Wah and a Ibanez TS9 to my Marshall AVT 100 tube preamp. I haven't found noise, and the effect sounds great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is where it may suffer. Unless you buy the 9v adapter, this beast drains the batteries. I plugged in a 9v, and because I'm lazy and don't unplug my instrument cables, the battery was dead in 4 days. Jeez. However, now that I have the 9v adapter, I'd depend on this without a backup for sure. Nothing like a steady power source. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a great pedal. I've been playing for 2 years about and I can get a lot of sweet sounds out of this pedal. I recommend that you spend a few extra bucks if you are in the market for this pedal to buy the 9v adaptor. I'd buy it again if it were stolen or lost. I like the ease of control and the great sound of this pedal, but don't like the battery life. This is a good pedal, however it's not the most available or cheap. // 9

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013