JD-F2 Fuzz Face Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 01/20/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: JD-F2 Fuzz Face
Built to the exact specifications of the Original Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face. Ruggedly constructed to the original Germanium PNP transistor design and vintage specs. The classic fuzz box used by Jimi Hendrix and other legendary rockers of the '60s and '70s. Powered by the Dunlop ECB-201 AC Jump and/or 9 volt battery.
 Ease of Use: 8.6
 7.7
 8.4
 6.9
reviews (5) pictures (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
JD-F2 Fuzz Face Reviewed by: acdc101, on february 21, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: Very straight-forward pedal - volume control and fuzz control. The most important thing to getting a good sound out of this pedal is you need to have a good amp. People who play pedals through a Crate or some other SS amp aren't hearing the amps full potential. I haven't read through the manual and I don't think it is necessary to at all. I did have to look at the directions on how to install the batteries, I am embarassed to say. // 8

Sound: A tube amp is optimal, I am playing through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, with a Fender telecaster. In order to get the full range of sounds out of this pedal, it is essential to play with your guitars volume knob. With the guitars volume at full, amp on clean, and the pedals settings at 100% volume and 75% fuzz I get a real distorted Hendrix/classic '60 fuzz tone. Roll the guitar volume back a drop and the sound cleans up greatly but still has some fuzz to it, good for the intro to Hendrix's Castles Made Of Sand. When play my SG through this pedal it is pretty muddy, which I attribute to the humbuckers. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pedal itself is built like a tank, with an unnecessarily huge (but cool) casing. But I have some gripes: first of all, the battery is not very secure within the pedal, and could possibly become disconnected in a fall. Same with the electronics, I am not sure how well they would fare in a big fall. Also, it eats batteries like they're candy so be ready if you use it alot. Which leads to my next complaint, which I consider a major flaw in this pedals contruction: no adapter input. A good thing for Duracell, but not so good for a gigging musician. I'm sure some electronic buffs can fix that problem, but I know I cant. // 5

Overall Impression: I play rock, blues, and some metal mostly, and this pedal covers the first two well. I do wish I had known about this pedals lack of adapter input before buying it, because it is a problem. If this pedal was lost or stolen, I would buy another, though maybe look for one modded with a 9v adapter input if there's such a thing. // 8

JD-F2 Fuzz Face Reviewed by: tands, on march 28, 2008

Ease of Use: Pretty easy to use. Just a volume and fuzz knob. Volume is to control the mix of the pedal and the fuzz knob is for the amount of fuzz. Not sure if there was a manual, if there was it was pretty basic. Very simple pedal. There was no 9v wall adapter though which really blows. I however was able to modify it to have one with ease but come on, it really should have one come with it! // 8

Sound: Squier guitar with Squier amp at first, used a high end Gretch and Peavy Tube amp later. You really need a Tube amp to get a good sound out of this pedal, after all that's what it was designed to be used it. A Very fuzz and noisy. I know you need to a working volume knob on your guitar to work with the pedal, I know David Gilmour was a big fan of adjusting the volume on his guitar to get a more overdriven sound of of this pedal. Perfect at replicating early Floyd since David Gilmour used one up to Dark Side (Time Solo). Not very versital from that though. Found it to be very bass heavey with my Squier rig, not sure if that's cause of my Squier though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: You sure as hell can depend on it! This pedal is made to out Live you. I would have no problem driving over this pedal with a bike, car, or tank. You have to Pick on up yourself, it a good 5-10 lbs of durability! I would use it at a gig without a backup since I added the 9v wall adapter otherwise I might want to have another ready with a fresh battery. Same applies with any pedal that only runs on a 9v though. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I was a little disappointed in the flexibility of the pedal's sound. Part of that may have to do with the broken volume knob on my guitar but I'm pretty sure that's just the way this pedal is. If lost or stolen I would check out a lot more Fuzz options before buying one again. There are 100's of fuzz pedals replicating this one but with a brighter tone and more versital sound. If you really love that Sawy 70's fuzz then this pedal is for you! It's still a fun cool pedal and there plenty of room for mods and tweaking the sound of it if your into that stuff. // 7

JD-F2 Fuzz Face Reviewed by: penderp0))), on december 24, 2009

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Ease of Use: An un-modded, pretty straightforward unit with just two knobs: Volume and Fuzz. That being said, it is actually pretty hard to get a good sound out of this seemingly simple pedal. There are only a few "sweet spots" for the fuzz dial, and the volume boosts the output of my guitar dramatically, so I have to make sure I'm only getting a small signal boost when adjusting this control. I'm not sure if it came with a manual, but it doesn't really seem necessary. // 9

Sound: I run the Fuzz Face into my Sunn Sorado (1968 all tube head connected to 4-12" Celestions) from both a Fender Telecaster with a Gibson PAF in the Neck position and a stock USA Fender Strat from the late 80s. With both guitars this thing adds quite a bit of unwanted noise to my sound, which isn't a huge problem for me because my band plays slow Doom Metal. If I were to try and play anything faster, a noise suppressor would be necessary. On its own, the Fuzz Face produces too saturated of a fuzz if the Fuzz control isn't kept below about 1 o'clock, and individual notes don't really ring through very well. I prefer to run an Ibanez TS-7 before it, though, and keep the fuzz turned nearly all the way down with the volume at about noon and get a very powerful growl out of my amp that still has some clarity and will literally sustain a note forever. Minus the Tubescreamer with this same setting, Vintage Cream or (Fuzz up just a bit) Hendrix sounds are easy to get. While it is possible to get good tones out of this pedal, you really have to experiment with the volume knob on your guitar and the Fuzz's controls with different amp and guitar combination you try it with. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have felt confident using this pedal without a backup at gigs, although I do use another fuzz to make crazy sounds (a Danelectro French Toast) that could, I guess, be considered a backup. This thing tends to drain batteries if you forget to unplug it, so before gigging a fresh battery is a must. Other than the battery life issue, this thing looks and feels like a tank and I bet if I threw it it would break someone's skull and then I could plug back into it and melt everyone else's face. // 10

Overall Impression: Considering I'm not looking for a super tight sounding distortion when I play with my band, for me the Fuzz Face is a good match. I've been playing for about 9 years, 5 of which I've owned this pedal for, and have used several superior fuzz units but never bought them because they didn't really seem worth the extra money for me to replace the two I already have. That being said, the sound the Fuzz Face delivers is pretty hard to dial in and is kinda a one-trick pony as it really only does one thing well: messy, powerful-sounding distortion with lots of overtones, or with my Danelectro French Toast engaged it goes insane and spits screaming fire. If it were lost or stolen I'd probably march into my local shop and buy a Z.Vex Mastotron to replace it, as I prefer the tone and greater control that their pedal offers (actually it's superior in pretty much every way I can think of) for only about $20 more. // 7

JD-F2 Fuzz Face Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2011

Ease of Use: Simple as the Democratic Party. Just Volume And Fuzz. Sweet... Fat... Fuzzz... Oh! It dose not have a 9v adapter only 9v battery, but if you unplug it after use it will last about 2 months. But it does fight with my crybaby alot. You will have to mod your Wah to use the ff with it. Something that nobody TOLD ME! // 8

Sound: Yes You do get some hum out of it but this is rock n roll THIS IS FUZZFACE.It has germanium transistors (THE GOOD ONES) which are temp sensitive so you can play all day put it down, go beat up a horse then come back and it will sound a bit different. You just have to play around with it. Roll down the volume on the guitar you get a wind cries mary live at Monterey sound. Roll it up and you get a thick low end fuzz that sounds like a horse that just got kicked in the ****! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This Thing Is Arnold Baby ARNOLD BABY! This thin Is a Ak compared with other fx I've used. You could actually take this thing out to beat up that horse and make him look like a whimp a-s mother******.I don't leave my house... I Have... Problems, but if I did have a gig I would take it without backup. But make sure you check the battery. // 10

Overall Impression: I play grunge, alt rock, and Psychedelic music. It works well with me its my best friend, always a good wing man (IT MAKES THE PANTIES DROP). I am 17 and have been playing for 8 years. I use a homemade Strat > original crybaby > Fuzz Face > Metal Muff > Small Clone Chorus > Fender 212R Solid State Amp. The Fuzz Face and Mrs. Jones (my wah) have a thing going on. They don't get along together. The Wah can't Drive it unless you have an output Buffer on your wah. If this was lost in a horses stable or stolen... By horses, I would go on horse genocide and get this friend back. This is not Jimi Hendrix in a box. You will need to play around with it. And if you don't like a hiss when you not playin' don't Buy this stick with your digital fx Puss***. // 9

JD-F2 Fuzz Face Reviewed by: TeleMA50C, on january 20, 2012

Ease of Use: This pedal really couldn't be easier to use. Two knobs that do exactly what they say. I've honestly never even opened the manual. // 10

Sound: This is a really great sounding pedal. The new ones tend to get shunned for supposedly being inferior to old ones, and to some extent I'm sure this is true, but that does not mean this pedal doesn't sound fantastic. I play an '09 American Standard Telecaster through a '74 Twin Reverb. With the fuzz all the way up, you get a sound reminiscent of David Gilmour's "Time" tone (add some chorus and delay and it just sounds great). Roll the fuzz back a little and you get a nice smooth sound that would make Eric Johnson happy. The only issue I've run into is that in bypass mode it absolutely murders your tone and you lose a significant amount of volume. This cannot possibly be a common thing, but I'd still make sure yours works before getting one. This is a non issue for me because I use a Rocktron switching system, so the pedal is not in the signal chain when not in use. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems to be well built (minus the rubber on the front that WILL peel off the center) and I see no reason not to depend on this without backup (of course, I do have 6 other dirt pedals, but to each his own...) // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic Rock, Prog, and some Jazz and this pedal has a great sound that I can find a use for in many situations. I can't give it a 10 because of the bypassing issue, but tonally it sounds great. I'd probably get another one if I had too. I wish it had a 9V DC plug, but I can just use a battery clip adapter, so that isn't a problem. // 9

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013