JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 03/08/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah
The Hendrix Series Wah is an original '60s design with modified circuitry to provide for a more open (or fatter) sound by lowering the frequency of the operating range.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.4
 7.8
reviews (10) 28 comments vote for this gear:
JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah Reviewed by: r_hawthorn, on may 16, 2005

Ease of Use: This pedal has an incredibly fat sound due to the lowered operating frequency range. It is best used with a fuzz/distortion pedal with a fuzz before wah setup if you want to get that true Hendrix sound. Even so, if you just want to plug it straight ito your amp it provides a brilliant range of sounds from Slash to Jack White of the White Stripes. Overall I rate the ease of use as a 4. // 8

Sound: I use the pedal with an Epiphone double cutaway Les Paul and a Marshall MG30DFX 30 Watt. I also have a Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal that I use in conjunction with the Wah Wah pedal and as I said before you need a fuzz before wah setup in order to get the sound reminiscent of Hendrix. This setup gives a warm almost creamy sound that you hear from famous blues artists such as Stevie Ray Vaughan. If you turn the middle up on your amp and add a slight bit of distortion you get a very funky, Chili Peppers sort of sound. I play the classic Hendrix number Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and it's easy to see how the Dunlop JH-1 differs from your standard wah wah pedal. The strength of the sound is quite weak when playing higher up the neck with the wah pedal set back and this is due to the lowered operating frequency. However, I have not found this to be a problem. It is best to position the pedal at least a metre or so from the amp otherwise a distinct tapping sort of sound can be heard. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had the pedal for about 7 months and so far I have not had a single problem. It has a rock solid die-cast housing which is essential for gig use and there is little risk of it breaking if you drop it. I have already gigged this pedal a few times without a backup and I would be confident to continue using it in this way. // 10

Overall Impression: I absolutely love the Dunlop JH-1 and if it was stolen I would have to get another one. Overall it is a very versatile piece of kit producing a very fat open sound reminiscent of Jimi Hendrix. Despite its slight drawbacks. It is ideal for the kind of stuff I play - bluesy/raw rock and roll with a hint of metal - and I would be happy to rely on it not to let me down in a gig. I have been playing for about two and a half years and in that time I have tried and tested many different effects. The Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah is one of my favourite because of its unique character and style. This is a great addition to anyones setup and well worth considering. // 8

JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah Reviewed by: randomhero951, on march 09, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar center

Ease of Use: The pedal is so easy to use just put in the chords and battery or adapter and your good to go. // 9

Sound: I use this pedal with and Ibanez Gio and a Boss Metal Zone with a Fender Princton 112. The pedal has no noise what so ever it even filters the humming from my pickups. The effect is great because it goes from a great low tone to a great treble like tone. With this pedal I can get sounds from some of my favorite bands like Metallica and Trivium, what ever song I play I can just rock the wah. I've played my pedal with my Metal Zone and the amps distortion and a DigiTech and Danelectro distortion pedal and every pedal sounds great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definitly depend on this pedal during a gig because its a hard ass pedal and I would use it without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, punk, grundge and classic and it works with all my styles. I've been playing 3 years and I own a Fender Princton 112 amp and a Boss Metal Zone. I don't wish I had asked anyting I didn't ask anything there I played it and that was all I needed. If my pedal was stolen I would buy the same pedal over and over again. I love the tone and how it goes with my whole set. My favorite feature is that I can play a solo that doesn't even have wah in it and have the solo sounding better then with out the wah. I compaired it with the Dunlop Zak Wylde wah and I chose the J. H wah because the sound was just soo much better. I wish I had an Esp Dave Mustaine Silver V with a floyd rose locking tremolo with EMG '81s over '85s. // 10

JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah Reviewed by: hippie_punk, on may 08, 2006

Ease of Use: It comes with an instruction manual. Hint: you don't need it. Even if you don't even know what a Wah is after a couple seconds of playing around you will instantly know how to use it. // 10

Sound: I use this with a an Ibanez Gio or a Cort knock-off strat(self modified with a floating pickup and 5 strings), a DigiTech Death-Metal pedal (terrible- don't buy), a Boss equalizer, and a Crate GT212. It adds no buzz or hum at all to my sound, only a sweet wah. The wah isn't really for people Who play solos super high on the neck, as it's desined for a lower range. It adds a very full, rich Wah. I cose it over the Crybaby Classic because this is less harsh. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can and have used it on many gigs without any back up. Dunlop Wahs are made to last. Plus, it with stands my band's craziest practices. My 185 pound friend accidently jumped with his full weight on it, and it was fine. Not that I would reccomend that. never do that on purpose to any pedal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly grunge (Nirvana), punk (Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat), hardcore (Union 13, Casualties), alternative (Honcho Overload, Fugazi) and Noise (Sonic Youth). This Wah is amazing with tons of distortion on it. And Since most of my band's songs are in Dropped tunings or just weird ones (F#, D, C#, A, E, G#), this wah's excellent low range is vital. This Wah is specially made for a more low sound, which is perfect. I like it more than many of the other Wahs I've tried (Vox, Crybaby Classic, Boss) because it is more compatible with distortion and a low range. Great buy, I would definatley buy it again. // 10

JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah Reviewed by: WarPuppet, on june 19, 2006

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade

Ease of Use: This pedal is extremely easy to use. It comes with instructions, which are purposeless, since all you need to do is mess around for 5 minutes to understand how to use this pedal. // 9

Sound: I play on an Epiphone SG with a Peavy Envoy 110. You need to move the pedal away from the amp to eliminate buzzing, and the fat tone of the wah isnt very good for playing up in the higher frets. On distortion it makes a very good sound, you can play some Sweet Child O' Mine, or some All Along The Watchtower, and it'll still sound great. The effects are absolutley amazing on the lower part of the neck, you can pull some crazy Tom Morello tricks. I tried it out on a Stevie Ray Vaughn signiature Strat and it was absolutley astonishing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can take this pedal and burn it and it'll still work. You know this pedal works because you have to stomp it to turn it on. You can step on it with all your weight and it will still function. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is good, really good. It's great for playing Hendrix stuff and it's so easy to use. I play alot of Sabbath, Metallica, Hendrix, and Zeppelin, and this is really good for all of them. Playing "Electric Funeral" will sound perfect, but so will playing Voodoo Child. All in all it's a really great pedal for a really good price. // 9

JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah Reviewed by: evill22, on january 20, 2007

Purchased from: Local Guitar Store

Ease of Use: I bought this effect pedal used from a local music store. But it still works just like new. The pedal moves great after I oiled the springs and stuff underneath it, and I love it already. There was no manual, but I did buy it used. It came with the wall adaptor. // 7

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 with this, and my Vox DA15 apmplifier on clean, and a DigiTech Hot Head Distortion pedal, and it sounds spectacular. The sound is never weak, it's always long and strong. It sounds kind of like a mix between a Jimi Hendrix and Audioslave sound when played how I do, which doesn't sound bad at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think I can depend on this effect. It was well used before I got it, but it was in good shape when I picked it up as well, so I have no worries as to the durability of this effect pedal. And it's always made the exact sounds that I've wanted it to make, and it should for anyone else too, as long as you know how to use it. // 10

Overall Impression: I've always played classic and modern rock, occasionally the blues. With guitar and amp on clean settings, this pedal has the perfect blues sound to it, used properly. When I got this, it came with the AC adaptor, which helps, cause most guitar effects run through batteries extremely fast. // 9

JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah Reviewed by: aaron3217, on february 15, 2007

Purchased from: guitar center

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use just step on it and go. It can get all the sound you would want on it. There is no manual that comes with this pedal. It also doesn't come with a battery. But that doesn't matter to me I love this pedalits so easy to use it's takes no practice really it doesn't. // 10

Sound: Right now I have this pedal setup with my les paul standard and my Fender Princeton 650 amp. The wah is great the effects are never weak and always sound great to me. I can also get the sound of my favorite artists on it like Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan. This pedal is great with all effects // 10

Reliability & Durability: Can I depend on it? I can depend on it. This pedal is made out of steel I play my music pretty heavy and this pedal has never gone out. It's always been there with me. Also if I had a gig would I have a backup? Absolutely not this pedal is pure quality I have tryed many pedals such as the original cry baby the Vox wah I've also even tryed the hendrix signature pedal by DigiTech and this pedal is my favorite one it's made out of great quality and sounds great. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music such as blues, grunge, metal, rock 'n' roll iplay everything. There is nothing I wish I wouldve asked before buying this pedal I am very happy with it. If this pedal got stolen I would be very dissapointed would also buy that same pedal again. My favoritye feature on thispedal is how it wahs to me it wahs great it can go from lows to highs. I compared it to the original Dunlop crybaby and the Vox wah pedal. An this is the one to me that sounds the best it gives you Hendrix sound this pedal is really great for any style music. // 10

JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah Reviewed by: Shredder993254, on july 09, 2008

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Ease of Use: This pedal is the best wah I have used yet. It gives you great Jimi vibe tones, and is much better and worth the extra $ than the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix wah revurb for 69.99. This is my first wah that I have actually bought, not just played, and it is great and worth the price. However, a Boss psa will not work (the newer ones anyways) to plug this pedal in. A one-spot works like a charm. Don't use 9volt batteries on this, they are drained really fast. This is an easy to use, no fancy extras, wah pedal. Back is the starting, then hitting a note and rocking it forward produces a wah. Simple as that! // 10

Sound: I use an Epiphone les paul, a strat knock-off, and a Dean razorback v standard on a Line 6 Spider III amp. Sounds great on any setting, but on high distortion, the lows tend to be faded out, so turn up the bass. Personally I use this pedal for everything I need a wah for. Funk, some jazz, rock solos. Where this pedal really shines is playing classic shred, such as Joe Satriani surfing with the alien. Now you can get classic tones that wont break the bank. Good job Dunlop! // 7

Reliability & Durability: I definitly depend on this and the few times I've been gigging with it, it has worked like a charm. I can't wait to try it with the Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face (Dunlop). It's very reliable and durable (I have dropped it a few times). Just don't use it with batteries and you should be fine. // 8

Overall Impression: I have tried many other wah pedals, and this one recreates the Jimi Hendrix Voodoo the best. I would definitly buy this product again. This is a great Dunlop product and I love the very crybaby tone it has to it. I have been playing since I was 7, and upgrading ever since. Overall it's a great pedal and a must have. Overall impression: very satisfied. // 9

JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah Reviewed by: TW909, on january 26, 2009

Ease of Use: Plug and play easy! The Dunlop Jimi Hendrix JH-1 Original Thomas Design Wah Wah pedal comes equipped with the standard input/output and 9-volt adapter ready(not included). First off I want to say I bought this pedal about 9 years ago when I first started playing guitar and it is still running strong. The sound is full and it has a nice, smooth sweep through the frequencies. Rock your foot forward and backwards for use. // 10

Sound: The wah sounds best before other modulating effects(chorus, tremolo, flange, etc.) but with distortion before. The sweep is barely noticable if you put wah before distortion so take this into consideration when buying this pedal. This wah easily creates it's namesake sound. Using it with the foot rocked forward adds crunch and definition to palm-muted power chords or shredding rythms. Most see the wah as a soloing cover-up but the jimi hendrix wah doesn't really register when playing high notes(except chords or double-stops). The sound is also not quite as thick as others I've heard. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Strong as an ox mine is going on ten years and hasn't had any part failures. Weighing several pounds it can easily take stomping and kicking. The on/off button is a little hard to push and the battery lasts no time at all. I kind of like the Morley wahs where you just put your foot on/off to turn it on/off but when using wah on a song you can just generally keep it on and use it as a tone booster. // 10

Overall Impression: I use mostly high gain tones but I like the wah better with clean tones because the effect is more noticable to my ears.Chords display the best wahs with distortion but the pedal is as good as most others I've used. 10 years and going strong. the only bad thing about it is that I'll never have to buy another wah pedal again. Go for crybabys when you buy a wah and you won't be disappointed. // 9

JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah Reviewed by: clearfin, on january 10, 2011

Price paid: C$ 134

Purchased from: Best Buy

Ease of Use: This Wah has a very wide range of gain. This can suit many styles. My Vox Wah doesn't even compete. If your looking for the Jimi Hendrix sound though you need to also get a fuzz. This pedal I noticed works at its best when mixed with other effects. The pedal is larger than other pedals and higher. The pot is good as it controls the gain very evenly. It can also run on one 9 volt battery so I can avoid the wire spaghetti. Overall this deserves a 9 because it is great but it is not the best. (wah vs Wah how there used? no difference!) // 9

Sound: I use an SX thinline copy with a Gretsch 6120 humbucker on the neck. Currently I still use my Vox AD50VT I plan to build a few tube amps soon when I get the money. The pedal is very clear, no hum. I am into mostly classic rock and some blues. I don't use Wah much but as far as Wah goes this is good stuff. There are many other good wahs out there I think this is better than the other Dunlop Wah though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Chrome except for the base, I didn't like how it felt kind of hollow and "delicate" I would gig on this without a backup, Its pretty hard to break a sturdy pedal! The pedal also has a warranty so if I broke it... // 8

Overall Impression: If it were stolen and money was not an issue this would be my wah. // 8

JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah Reviewed by: patbuck2, on march 08, 2011

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to use this thing. It has no knobs. You just step on it to turn it on. You rock it back and forth to get the sweeping "wah" sound. Down is treble. Up is bass. Simple to understand. Mine had no manual because I bought it used from a friend. It's made for really only one sound: Hendrix. And that's what it does a pretty decent job of doing. // 8

Sound: When I had this, I was using it with a Line 6 Spider III 75w. Aside from the fact that it was a crappy amp, I was mostly playing metal at the time, so this pedal wasn't really what I was looking for. And that is why I sold it very soon after I bought it. I just got it because it was cheap and I wanted any Wah pedal at the time. A poor decision on my part. I was using it with my only electric guitar, my Johnson Catalyst. Like any crybaby, this pedal has a very shrill sound to it. This one was better than the other crybaby I owned, but it still wasn't the best. The effect isn't weak per say, it's pretty prevalent in the mix when you turn it on. This wasn't what I was looking for at the time. It does a pretty decent job of replicating Hendrix Wah sound, but you can still get better Wah pedals for that sound. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would say the pedal was reliable because it never broke when I had it. I bought it a few years old and it still worked fine throughout the duration of my ownership of it. I was using batteries in my pedals at the time, and this one didn't suck them up too bad. // 8

Overall Impression: When I had this, I played mostly metal, which this pedal was not suited for. Now I play more classic rock like Hendrix, and it would have been better for now, but I have a better Wah in my opinion now, so I don't mind. I think there are better Wah pedals out there for classic rock than this one. I've been playing guitar for 3 years now. This wasn't necessarily bad, it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time. I would recommend a few others before this one. I don't like the shrillness of crybaby Wah pedals in general. I just don't like the line. It was better than the crybaby classic I owned before it, but not better than my current Ibanez WH10 v2. // 7

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013