JH-1B Jimi Hendrix Cry Baby Review

9.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
JH-1B Jimi Hendrix Cry Baby Reviewed by: p o e, on february 11, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: It is as simple as can be to get a great sound from this, simply plug the guitar into it, and it into the amp, and boom! There aren't any controls exept for the pedal itself, so all you need is to be good with your feet. There wasn't a manual in the box, but who need's one? Plug it in, and start conjuring some voodoo already! The one thing that would have made this better is if it had come with an AC adapter, but sadly it didn't. // 8

Sound: Sound... The sound of this can only be described as throaty. I run it through a Mesa Boogie Mark IV, with either my Gibson girls, or my Fender Strat, and it sounds really nice. It does tend to be a bit noisy when used over the Lead channel of my amp, but that's the gain speaking, and it does get a bit too tinny and weak when I use the bridge pickup of my Stratocaster. The wah has a great voice, and serious range. It goes from screaming, to groaning, and all of the other sounds you expect from a good wah wah, or a girlfriend. Strange, I know, but it doesnt't't really sound like Hendrix's Live sound to me, but that's my amp. Mesa's are very American voiced, while Marshall's have a good British sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've been using this almost nonstop for over a month, and all I've had to do is retune my guitar, so I'd say it's very reliable. I've even dropped it on my ISP Decimator, and it's fine, as is the Decimator. I don't usually gig without backups, but I would with this, it seems that durable, and that reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: I play almost anything, from metal to jazz, rockabilly to punk, the blues to groove metal, hard rock classic rock and alt rock. I've been playing for about 5 years now, and I run it through a Mesa Boogie Mark IV, with either a Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium Plus, a Gibson Explorer, or a Fender Highway One Strat, and it sound great with all three. It has everything it needs, and nothing else, and I asked all I needed to before I got it, and I'm very pleased with it, I can see it being in my pedal board for many years to come. If it were lost or stolen, I would save up for one, and then kill the guy that took mine. I love the simplicity of it, and I love the sound. I don't love the fact that it didn't come with an AC adapter. I compared it to several other Dunlop Crybaby's, and some Morley's, and I chose this for the sound, simple. It has everything it needs, and nothing else. // 9

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013