KH-95 Kirk Hammett Cry Baby Review

7.8
reviews (5) pictures (1) 27 comments vote for this gear:
KH-95 Kirk Hammett Cry Baby Reviewed by: tryhonesty, on november 27, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Centre

Ease of Use: With its green burst case and skeleton foot bone tread (which, unfortunately does not glow in the dark) this wah won't be mistaken for any others in Dunlop's line. But the Kirk Hammet Signature Wah's beauty is not just skin deep, providing a unique voice that's the product of 300-380Hz low pass filtering, 1.4-1.8highpass filtering and Kirk's secret post-wah eq settings. The pedal is the exact same size and has the same physical throw as a standard Cry Baby, unlike several other models it does not boast any extra switches, knobs or functions. It has just standard mono input and outputs, an input for a DC adaptor and a bypass switch. And it's hardwired to provide true bypass. The Nine volt battery is mounted in an easy to access compartment so you can change batteries in seconds without a screwdriver. Overall, pedals don't get much simpler than this. // 9

Sound: The Kirk Hammet wah's sweep covers distinct and highly musical midrange sweet spot that avoids the swampy bass and piercing treble of wahs that have wider sweep ranges. In half cocked position it delivers expressive, vocal like midrange that a dead ringer for Michael shenkers seventies UFO solo tone. The pedal sounds best through an amp producing a decent amount of Overdrive of distortion, as the post-wah signal boost keeps the volume levels consistent across the entire sweep range. Hammett's Tweak works: even the bassiest (heal down) setting don't sound boomy, thought to this optimization, a slight volume drop is apparent when the pedal is used with a clean amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haven't had it for a very long time, but it seems sturdy enough and well-built to survive live performance. Even though I own an Original Dunlop Crybaby, this one seems built just as well, and I'd rather use this at a gig the the Original. But since I haven't had it for very long, I can't say for sure if it will last a while. // 8

Overall Impression: The Dunlop Kirk Hammet Sinature Wah is a great choice for rock and metal playsers Who rely primarily on distorted sounds. It would have been cooler if the foot skelton would be glow in the dark. Thats basicly the only negative thing I can say about this. Easy to use, True bypass, the Kirk Hammet signature can easily meet the demands of Rock and metal players that require a wah to nail those Metallica solos and more. // 9

KH-95 Kirk Hammett Cry Baby Reviewed by: JesusCrisp, on april 12, 2010

Price paid: € 160

Purchased from: Klangfarbe

Ease of Use: As easy as it gets. You use it just like a standard Wah pedal. Put it between your guitar and amp, Switch it on and play. You can use it with an adapter or 9V battery. I don't think there's anybody who would need a manual for it. It's a plug and play pedal. // 10

Sound: I am currently using it with an Epiphone SG Special and a Peavey Vypyr 15 (I know my gear is cheap, will upgrade soon though). When I bought it I tested it through a Fryette Sig:X though. It isn't noisy at any gain setting and has true bypass if you Switch it off. The KH-95 was has a really good Wah sound in my opinion, I couldn't find one other Wah I like as much yet. It gives you a very Hammett-style Wah tone, it's not exactly what his rackmount Wah sounds like, but it's very good sounding anyway. I think this is the way to go if you like Hammett's Wah sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. It's heavy, has a metal housing and won't break easily. I haven't had any problems with it in terms of reliability, I would use it at gigs without a backup, but only with a power supply. I wouldn't rely on batteries in any kind of pedals. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Rage Against the Machine, Motorhead, Guns N' Roses, Metallica and some other stuff with it and it works fine, although it isn't an exactly Slash or Tom Morello sounding wah. I have been playing for about 1 and a half year, I mentioned my gear before. There was nothing that was not clear about the pedal before I bought it. At the shop I intensively compared it to other wahs like the Dunlop Zakk Wylde wah, 535Q, Morley Bad Horsie II, Ibanez WH10V2 and the Vox Big Bad Wah (which was my 2nd favourite one). I took this one because it sounded the best to me. If it were stolen, I would buy another one. The only other Wah I want in the distant future is probably a Dunlop rackmount wah. There's absolutely nothing I hate about it, only that I have to play it through my crappy gear. // 10

KH-95 Kirk Hammett Cry Baby Reviewed by: MaddMann274, on january 06, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: The KH-95 Kirk Hammett Signature Cry Baby Wah is easy to use, great sounding and good looking. Dunlop's engineers took Kirk's EQ, volume and tone settings and packed it all into a small rectangular shaped steel box. Developed in close collaboration with Kirk Hammett himself. With Kirk approved graphics and a list of Kirk's favorite Wah solo's underneath the pedal. It's not hard at all to operate this pedal, all you have to do is Switch on the bypass(on/off switch) and start playing those crazy Wah solo's. The pedal can be powered using a Dunlop ECB003 AC adapter or a single 9V battery. // 9

Sound: I use this Cry Baby wired to my Jackson RR3 guitar and my Fender Frontman 15G amplifier(Not the best amplifier in the world but it sounds decent). The Wah sounds pretty awesome and I can easily get a similar sound of Kirk's legendary solo's, but not the exactly the same. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Packed into a small rectangular steel bulletproof casing(I dunno about the bulletproof part, It was just a joke though it could be) this pedal can withstand brutal stomping and falls. I would without a doubt use this pedal on a gig without a backup. It doesn't drain much battery power either, I have been using the pedal for months without a battery change and yet it still sounds the same. In conclusion you don't have to go to a store every now and then just to get a battery. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of stuff by Metallica, Iron Maiden, GnR, Pantera etc, and it suits all of them. I have been playing for over 4 years, however this is the first and only Wah pedal I tried and so far it's the best one *laughs*. If it was lost or stolen I would save up for a DCR1SR Cry Baby Rack Wah (The type Kirk uses), I really love this pedal but that's what I would do. // 10

KH-95 Kirk Hammett Cry Baby Reviewed by: AvengedBetrayal, on august 19, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar Center Sacramento

Ease of Use: This Wah pedal is exceptionally easy to use. Its simplicity is only matched by its sound. Unlike other Wah's, the KH edition isn't surrounded by knobs to adjust the sound. While this may turn some versatile players off, not having to worry about 2 or 3 knobs being in the exact right spot is a relief while on stage. Plug the guitar into the pedal, the pedal to the amp and that is it! // 10

Sound: The only reason why I do not give this sound a 10 is because it is only one sound. But the sound it gives is in my opinion the best Wah for any guitar that is significantly over-driven. I run a basic live set-up: either a BC Rich Beast w/ EMG 81/85 set or a Schecter Tempest Custom with Invader pickups run through a Line 6 Spider 2 head and a Fender Roc Pro Cab. If you play metal this is THE Wah to own. I was also impressed how it holds its tone even while tuned in B or lower. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a very reliable pedal. I have played live with this pedal about a dozen times so far and has exceeded my expectations every time. The trigger to turn the effect on and off isn't too hard, and not too soft. This is my 3rd Wah pedal that I have owned, and 2nd that has joined me on stage and I can tell you from experience that this will be the last one I buy. // 10

Overall Impression: This Wah pedal replaced my Dunlop 535Q pedal that was stolen at a live gig, and now I'm glad it was stolen. While the 535Q is a Top Tier and very versatile pedal, I was frustrated by the 3 knobs and volume boost that I'd have to double, sometimes triple, check before we hit the stage. Even after that it still might not have been the sweet spot I loved. If you are a player who likes to change sounds on stage or are looking for versatile studio equipment to match many types of music, the 535Q may be a better choice... BUT if you are familiar with the Kirk Hammett Wah sound you know that it can fit many situations. I play B F# B E G# C# tuning for our live sets and this pedal still screams. Like I said earlier, this is the BEST metal Wah ever and will always be in my rig from now on, no exceptions. If you are in the market for a Wah pedal, no matter what type of music you play, at least give this pedal a try. You'll be glad you did. // 10

KH-95 Kirk Hammett Cry Baby Reviewed by: skylerjames13, on may 14, 2010

Price paid: C$ 180

Purchased from: Shanes Music.

Ease of Use: It's a pretty decent pedal. There isn't any control switches on it, it's just a plug and play. There's a Switch to activate it to use it. You just push down on the toe until it clicks the button, and again to turn it off. I like it, it's simple, and it has decent wah. // 8

Sound: I'm using it with an Zoom G1X guitar pedal. It sounds actually pretty d*mn good. You get a pretty good Kirk Hammett out of the pedal, and the bassiest part of the pedal, it doesn't overpower the amp, and doesn't have that really bassy feel. And when you have it as far as it can go treble wise, you get a bit of fuzz-feedback stuff, but otherwise, it has a great sound. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's heavy, and it's metal, and it seems like it can handle being dropped. It seems like it can go through a lot. I would definitively use it without a back up, though I'd use a power source, cause I don't trust batteries lol. It seem like you could take a sledge hammer to it, and it will be in perfect condition lol xD. Though I highly wouldn't recommend it lol. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal mostly, like Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest and such, and it has a great sound for my playing. I also play like artists such as Joe Satriani, and it works well, cause he uses a lot of wah. If I were to somehow lose it, I would definitely get a new one. I like it, cause if you play what I play, it works pretty well. // 8

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013