MXR CSP-026 Vintage '74 Phase 90 Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 06/25/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: MXR CSP-026 Vintage '74 Phase 90
Hand wiring and hand selected matching transistors work together to bring back the same mesmerizing, smooth modulation as the original.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.6
 9.3
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
MXR CSP-026 Vintage '74 Phase 90 Reviewed by: guy_tebache, on june 25, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: It's a Phase 90. There's one knob-speed, and one switch-on/off. If you can't figure it out, please go and see your doctor. The manual has a few suggested speeds for different genres, but It didn't take me more than 30 seconds to get a Dave Gilmour, Van Halen, or John Frusciante sound out of this thing. // 10

Sound: At the moment I'm running it thus: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (hoping to add an American Strat here soon), Big Muff Pi USA, Homemade Tubescreamer (my friend makes them. They're better than any tubescreamer I've ever heard, and I've heard a few), Boss DS-1, Phase 90, Vox V847A Wah (want to change that to a 35Q Crybaby), Boss CE-20, Boss DD-7 (soon to add DD-20 here), Danelectro Reel Tape Echo, EHX Holy Grail Reverb, Fender FM 212R solid State Amplifier (want to change to Marshall Tube amp). This phase is really quiet. No noise at all. It's probably the cleanest phase 90 I've ever heard. Replaced my old phase 90 with this one and for a price difference of about $40 USD the sound difference was amazing. As said aboce I didn't have any trouble getting the sound of any of my favourite players Who use this. it's dead simple. The only complaint I would have about this is that it didn't go as fast as I would like. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Its Built really solidly, so I would never be worried about it getting a knock or anything, and apparently Dunlop have fixed most of the problems with really high gain levels overdriving and breaking this pedal. But it only runs on Batteries. I'm planning on modding mine so I have the option of using a power supply, but as is you would want to use a new battery at a gig or have a few spare if you were recording. That said, I've tested how long the batteries last and a good quality battery will last you at least a couple of gigs. // 8

Overall Impression: I play funk, rock, metal, prog rock, indie, blues, and a bit of everything else and this helps me get a very good phase sound for any occasion. I had my old phase for about 2 years and this far surpasses it. If it was stolen, failing breaking the bastards testicles with a mallet, I would definately buy another one. Just one word of advice when buying it: the RRP in Australia was $290 AUD. Thats crazy. The USD is screwed atm so it only cost me $140 AUD including post and insurance to buy a new one from a US ebay store. So if you're not already in the states, I suggest you buy from there. // 10

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013