MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 07/17/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion
Crank the gain, boost the lows and highs, and hit the Scoop switch for a rhythm tone that will annihilate. Dial the mids back in and mow down the competition with a lead sound that can penetrate steel.
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 7.6
 7.1
reviews (3) pictures (4) 25 comments vote for this gear:
MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion Reviewed by: ironbird PPS, on august 23, 2004

Ease of Use: When I first opened this thing and started tweakin it my first thought was "what a piece of s--t". But it came with a manual. And showed different types of distorion. And it showed the exact settings that dimebag uses. (That's who it was modeled after: Dimebag Darrel of Pantera.) And then I upped the gain and treble a little and I got a great sound. It was a good 80's metal distortion with sensitive screaming and harmonics. And when you mute. // 8

Sound: I play a Bc Rich Ironbirs theough Pyramid 900d amp. And with my setup it gave it a good 80's metal distortion with sensitive screaming and harmonics. And when you mute the strings you dont get a shit load of feedback, like on other high-gain applications. If you max out the bass and gain you do get feedback, but you dont need to, you get a great sound w/o doin that. Kepp in mind; this is a solid state effect but with a double-humbucker setup you will get a sound that is pretty damn close to dimebag's. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This thing is f--kin indestructable. I baked over it with my car accidentally and it was still perfect, worked fine. One thing that is really cool is the letters and knobs glow in the dark. I do alot of playin in the dark and this makes it so I dont have to turn the lights back on when I'm changin the settings. It's the best. // 10

Overall Impression: In 2 years of playing the guitar I've been searching for something I can get screams out of without having to worry about the huge-ass ammount of feedback when I stop playing. and this does that. There are some quirks that can be easily gotten used to. Like when you are turning the bass up and you get to a little more that half-way the sound scompletely changes, kinda wierd I know. It is pretty good, if only there more sounds you could get out of it, I would sleep with it. // 8

MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion Reviewed by: laneychief, on october 19, 2006

Ease of Use: When I first bought this pedal, I couldn't wait to get it plugged in, I plugged it in, put my amp through clean, and stomped. First thoughts were. 'What a rip off' The sound was rubbish, no better than my amp distortion in fact then I looked through the manual, which contained all sorts of preset adjusments and told me to put my amp distortion behind aswell for more crunch, I did that played with the settings for a while, and I finally got it sounding great, I was so glad it wasn't a rip off, it just takes time to get it sorted out to your own preference that's all. // 9

Sound: I am using this pedal through a Marshall MG100HDFX and an Epiphone Les Paul. The only time you get a horrible sound i.e. feedback, is either when everything on the pedal is turned up full, or when the amp distortion is on and everything on the amp distortion settings is on full. You can acheive Dimebag Darrel style distortion reasonably easily after you have set it up to how you want, all you have to do is depress the scoop Switch which adds much more treble to the distortion and gives it that sound that he was so famous for, of course it won't make you play like him. That would be very very hard! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well to start with I used this pedal all the time, I loved it, I thought it was absolutly brilliant, then one day I went to plug it in and I got no lights no power no nothing. I checked to see if it was the power lead by plugging that into my Jim Dunlop crybaby. That worked fine. I then started the long process of sending it back via warranty I sent it off about 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't returned, from america which was a pricey shipping fee as I live in England. Big dissapointment. // 4

Overall Impression: I play all styles of music, but when I'm playing metal this pedal excels, it is brilliant for that, not much else as the tone is so metal like, the distortion is brilliant for pinch harmonics, absolutly amazing. I love the scoop Switch which instantly gives Dimebag style tones. Overall this pedal was amazing, until it broke and it still hasn't been returned by the slow warranty service. // 6

MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion Reviewed by: GodxEatxGod, on july 17, 2012

Ease of Use: When I got the Dime distortion pedal it was just the power supply and the pedal so when it came to getting a good tone out of it I whent online to find the manual. The first time I tried to set it it sounded like a P.O.S. but when you fiddle with it you get that signature Dimebag tone that blasts out brutal tones. // 8

Sound: I am playing through a Peavey Windsor all tube head and a Bugera Cab. The head has pretty much the basic setup with a decent British style distortion, When you plug this thing it it turns into a metal beast! I just got a Washburn Culprit Dime sig guitar that really shows the tone and playing style he had. I also have a Kramer Striker 300-ST with the Dimebucker in it and it shreds like a metal stallion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is made out of aluminum or metal either way it seems pretty sturdy, only complaint would be that I wish the camo was actually painted on besides a full body decal. This thing could defiantly be used for gigging without a second thought. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing around 3 to 4 years and I play metal to blues and this suits my metal taste just well. I am a Dime fanatic and I love that this Pedal can give you almost the same tone that he had. If it was stolen I'd probably find another one but I got this one for a steal at $45 so I am more than happy with it and is advise many to buy it and share in the great metal tone that Dime had! // 9

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013