MXR EVH Phase 90 Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 08/18/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: MXR EVH Phase 90
The tones that EVH got on that classic record are among the greatest ever, and a huge part of Eddie's guitar sound has always been the MXR Phase 90.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.4
 9.3
 9.4
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
MXR EVH Phase 90 Reviewed by: sword shredder, on august 18, 2007

Purchased from: Online

Ease of Use: This has one knob, and a script/reissue button switcher. The knob changes the speed of the phasing effect and the button is like a mix knob; not pushed in is 100% of the phaser, pushed in is 50% of the phaser. You have to unscrew the back (4 screws) to get to the battery, and there is a 9-volt adaptor slot. It's easy to get to your Eruption; put the phaser before distortion, script Switch in, and speed knob to 10. The manual doesn't say much apart from this suggestion, but they say to put it on 9. // 10

Sound: I'm using this with a Jackson DK2M Dinky, into a Randall RG50TC. I noticed no noise, this is not a Behringer pedal. The phasing sounds great for leads and tapping, kinda like a light wah going in and out slowly. It gives a great 'liquidy' sound when clean, but for rhythm playing it sounds kinda bad if you overuse it. This is where you use a flanger instead of phaser. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this for over a year, and it's never failed. However, the first website I ordered this from sent me a faulty one. I sent it back and got one that worked. A while later it stopped working. I sent it back and got another faulty one. Sent that back and got another faulty one. So I got my money back and ordered it from another place, which worked fine. All that hassle for a phaser? // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 3 years, and this is 'Technically' the third phaser I've used. The other ones were an amps built in effects and a multi-effects pedal. If it was stolen/lost I probably wouldn't buy it again, because I need an Overdrive pedal. If I got an Overdrive and chorus, and EQ, I would buy the MXR PHASE 100, since it's the same but with a proper mix knob. // 9

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013